Notifications
Clear all

I have another dumb question.

Zigmeister67
Topic starter
Noble Member

r

Am I right about the following?

Virginia is giving me that somewhat sweet taste on my tongue.

Perique is the peppery taste that are tingling on my tongue.

Burley is the nuttiness flavor.

Orientals are the spice taste and smell. Not hot just spices.

Latakia is the campfire/smoker with a chicken in it taste and smell.

Cavendish is the slightest sweetness thick smoke and creamy feel of the smoke.

Deer tongue is that slight vanilla plant like taste.

Feel free to correct my mistakes. 

15 Replies
1 Reply

Posted by: Zigmeister67

r

Am I right about the following?

Virginia is giving me that somewhat sweet taste on my tongue.

Perique is the peppery taste that are tingling on my tongue.

Burley is the nuttiness flavor.

Orientals are the spice taste and smell. Not hot just spices.

Latakia is the campfire/smoker with a chicken in it taste and smell.

Cavendish is the slightest sweetness thick smoke and creamy feel of the smoke.

Deer tongue is that slight vanilla plant like taste.

Feel free to correct my mistakes. 

An excellent write up on different baccy. Ideal for new pipe smokers. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Nothing dumb about that, all spot on. 

5 Replies
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Thank you. Now I just need discern the nuances better. Appreciate the help.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

If you want to enhance your ability to discern more nuances, a number of websites sell Sutliff and C&D component tobaccos in bulk so you can buy an ounce or two to just experience that variety by itself. It’s a great way to clearly differentiate what flavors/smells are coming from which tobacco and also which aspects get buried in a particular blend. 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

That's a good idea. I will order some now. Thanks

nach0

Noble Member

i did it with pure latakia, pure perique, pure burleys, it really changes the way you discern the tobaccos, this is strongly recommended for everyone. 

Lager

Estimable Member

And remember, there are never any dumb questions.

nach0
Noble Member

i agree with you on everything, i would add the salty flavor that i find in some mixtures that has burley or perique, i dont know why but i feel in this way.

Reputable Member

I would just add that Cavendish is actually a process and not a tobacco. It's a process where heat and pressure are applied to help sweeten the tobacco. With Burley tobacco, heat and pressure are used to instill sugar and flavorings such as vanilla, cherry, or any number of other familiar flavorings. With Virginia tobaccos, heat and pressure are used to bring out the natural sugars that are already inherent in the Virginia tobaccos. So when you think "cavendish," think sweetened tobacco.

6 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

I used to instantly link cavendish to sweet tobaccos but after while i got some tins with what they called unsweetened black cavendish, what would be that?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The process of making cavendish from burley (American cavendish) doesn’t really make it sweet, although it can slightly. It does make it an excellent carrier for added sweeteners and flavoring. American cavendish that hasn’t been sweetened or flavored only adds creaminess to the smoke and smooths a mixture, which is the reason it may be added, to maya blend milder or smooth som roughness as well as unify some flavors of the tobacco. Some people claim they detect a slight vanilla type flavor to it as well, although I’ve never picked that up from unflavored/unsweetened cavendish and I’ve smoked it straight. Keep in mind that cavendish in Europe is something different than in America. European cavendish often has a slightly different processing done, but more importantly it is often made from Virginias instead of burley. Even then, there is no one definition for cavendish and it can mean different things depending on where your tobacco was produced and who made it.

Reputable Member

There are so many tobacco makers doing so many different things with tobacco that it's difficult to define any one thing as this or that. So let me just say a few things with the understanding that nothing is really set in concrete and there are no hard and fast rules as far as tobacco processing is concerned.

1. Virginia tobacco has inherently more sugar than Burley does.

2. When adding sugar or flavor, Burley tobacco absorbs sugars and flavors better than Virginia tobacco does.

3. Cavendish is a process where heat and pressure are used to modify and process tobacco for consumer use.

With that being said, Ted is correct in that American or sometimes also called Danish Cavendish usually almost always involves Burleys and adding sugars or flavors to make the tobacco taste better. This particular Cavendish is a big part of the Aromatic tobacco genre.

European or sometimes also called English Cavendish usually almost always involves Virginia Tobacco. This particular Cavendish almost never uses any added sugar or flavors. It's just pressure and heat-treated Virginia tobacco. This is the Cavendish that most tobacco blenders call "Unsweetened Cavendish." They call it that because it has no added sugar. And yes, it might have a kind of creaminess or vanilla character.

A third Cavendish is called Golden or sometimes Dutch Cavendish. This particular Cavendish almost always involves Virginia tobacco and particularly yellow or bright Virginias. This is mostly the only Cavendish that doesn't use heat. So there you go, we broke a definition or a rule, a Cavendish that doesn't use heat. Dutch Cavendish is most often bright Virginias that are pressure treated. Sugar or flavors may be added. Virginias don't absorb sugars or flavors very well, so taste wise, Dutch Cavendish may taste lightly or barely flavored or sweetened. This Cavendish is usually a part of the OTC, Drugstore, or Old Codger genre.

One more thing. It's the heat treating that turns tobacco black. So Black Cavendish simply reiterates the fact that the tobacco was heat treated.

Disclaimer: All of the above information is for entertainment purposes only. Any false or inaccurate statements hold no binding legal representations or responsibilities. 

----Just kidding. 😉😊

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Very interesting. Rules are made to be broken I guess. 👍

Reputable Member

Yeah, I was just having fun with that. Tobacco makers and their "secret" recipes. The whole purpose of cavendish was to instill artificial flavors into tobacco. But in England, eons ago, it was illegal to add artificial flavors and chemicals to tobacco and label it as tobacco. So they took Virginias, because of their natural sugar content, and cavendished them to try and bring out the natural sugars and improve the natural flavor that way.

nach0

Noble Member

This was a master class. Tnks for sharing it =]

target="_blank"