Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Bad Tobacco?

Zigmeister67
Topic starter
Noble Member

Actually the question is what do you do with tobacco that you really don't like? 

I have 2 that I know I'll never smoke and I don't know any pipe smokers.

Any ideas?

4 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

That’s actually a great question that I’ve been asking myself for years. I can’t say that I have much tobacco that I truly dislike, aside from a pouch of Half and Half, which I have concluded is 1/2 tobacco and 1/2 burning polystyrene. Then there’s the Wilke Peanut Butter, but I’m getting off track. I do however have a fair amount of tobacco that isn’t bad, but I will never smoke it. I did give some away on another forum that allowed private messaging and will probably do that here if such a feature is added in the future. But otherwise unfortunately I don’t know anyone locally who smokes a pipe. 

There is another thing to consider related to how long a person has been smoking. That is that generally our tastes change with more smoking experience, often drastically. I would always encourage people to jar a tobacco they don’t like today and revisit it in six months or even a year if they have been smoking for less than a few years. I’m not saying that is the case with the ones you have that you don’t like, but I point this out for the benefit of newer smokers. The other side to this is that tobacco can change after some time in a jar, often but not always for the better. I had this experience not long ago with War Horse Bar. On paper, it sounded fantastic to my tastes, but when I popped a tin, I was not impressed. I put it in a jar and forgot about it for almost a year. When I ran across the jar again and gave it another shot I really enjoyed it. It had smoothed out tremendously and was noticeably different than straight out of the tin. In fact now I’m thinking about getting a bowl of it going. 

3 Replies
nach0

Famed Member

nothing else to add. good tips man. 👍 👍 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Thanks for the advice. You are probably spot on for my circumstance. I am new to pipes so putting it away is a good idea. I've already noticed my tastes changing.

nach0

Famed Member

My taste has been changing quite a lot. You can expect it for sure.

For me it worked in a different flow as i see here, Latakia was what made me get into pipe smoking.
What kept me smoking was the strong nicotine blends like peterson irish flake, 3P and bold kentucky.
Now i dont feel like craving so much nicotine as before, and i'm appreciating light touch of latakia than heavy content. 

The aromatics were too agressive for me at very beginning, i used to burn my tongue with them but now after learning how to smoke slowly i'm finding much pleasure with most of them. 

The pure virginias that were my last option are becoming now my main goal, i started this year enjoying blends that i used to feel lacking of body or personality but now i can get more from straight virginias.

I´m not that one who can smoke just on type of tobacco for long time, i´m always making a rotation but always paying attention of what i have been craving for, nicotine? taste? body? aroma? 

Apart from that, there is even more things to add concerning which pipe you are using for each kind of mixture, everything can change when you change the pipe. I found one pipe in my collection that works way better than all other when smoking pure virginias. Others are better for latakia, so we only learn what works for us trying all different combinations and it takes time.

I´m pretty sure my taste gonna change upside down, again and again.

target="_blank"