G. L. Pease Lagonda

(3.28)
A luxurious blend comprising generous portions of Cyprus latakia, ripe red Virginias and fine Oriental leaf, with a bit of bright added for a hint of subtle sweetness. Pressing and aging in cakes integrates the flavors and partially ferments the tobaccos. The cakes are then sliced and tumbled into ribbons, ready to for you your enjoyment.
Notes: From GL Pease: Lagonda, a rich, luxurious old style mixture, will be the newest entry in the Old London Series, and though it shares some characteristics with its siblings, it's nevertheless all new. What's the same is the method of production, in which the leaf is layered, pressed and aged in cakes for several days in order for the flavours to integrate, and to sort of 'jump start' the aging and fermentation process. The cakes are then sliced and tumbled. Some people have referred to this cutting style (also used for Chelsea Morning and Meridian) as a 'broken flake,' but it's really not that. It's much more closely related to standard ribbon cutting, but since some of the tobacco strands continue to bind together, the result is somewhat denser than conventional ribbon-cut. It's the way a lot of the old English tobaccos were produced. I revived the method, thinking that it would offer something interesting, and have been thrilled with the result. (It's been difficult not to change the production of all of the ribbon cut blends to this method, but it changes the character of the blend so much, they'd turn into entirely different things. I don't need the hate-mail.) What's different is the blend's composition. The proportion of Cyprus latakia is more significant in Lagonda, and there's also more of an Oriental component. It's spicy, but not aggressively so, and dry, in the sense of not being sweet. It's got mouth filling flavours, and a wonderful aroma, both in the tin and in the air when it's smoked. The Virginias give the mixture legs to stand on, but aren't the dominant note. Don't let my talk of how big it is scare you. Despite it's largeness, the blend is all about finesse and balance, which was a bit of a challenge with something as full-bodied as Lagonda. It has a lot to offer, but doesn't overpower. It'll age beautifully, but is smoking fantastically right out of the gate.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.28 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 40 of 43 Reviews
Jan 21, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Of all the bigger GLP latakia mixtures that I have had the pleasure of smoking, Lagonda is probably the smoothest and most even-keeled of the bunch. Lagonda is so smooth and so exceeding mellow, that at times I have found myself mid-smoke wanting something with a bit more pep. This is a flavorful blend with plenty of depth, but the appeal of its flavor is much more about its uncanny delicateness than its blatant power. There's some fine fragrant oriental tobacco at play and deeper draws on the pipe reveal a light appreciable spiciness along with a subtle but delicious sour flavor quality that's reminiscent of the tin note. The latakia is present in every puff but it's perfectly harmonized with the other flavors and never does it become the focus. Referring to the mouthfeel of Lagonda as "creamy" would be an understatement.

There are plenty of big latakia blends on the market, and a portion of them are sooty palate-wreckers, but I find Lagonda to be quite the opposite. It's more of a cool, soft spoken, and soothing smoke. One that gradually reveals its finer nuances to those who spend enough time with it. I am close to finishing a three year old tin, and I still don't feel that I have experienced everything that it has to offer. That said, every pipeful has been just as good or better than the last, and the potential for positive results from further aging seems promising.
Pipe Used: Briar
Dec 02, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
Lagonda came to me perfectly humidified, packed well, lit well, stayed lit and there was a fair amount of smoke. This blend was a good blend, not too rich, not too sweet, not too smoky, not extreme in any way. This could be good or bad depending on your perception. For me, this was great to enjoy while reading and I didn't have to pay much attention and that was just fine by me. My only complaint would be that Lagonda was not as full bodied as I would have liked, but GLP has so many English/Balkans to choose from so if this one isn't right for me, it might be right for you! PTLOGJ
Nov 04, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Somewhat reminiscent of the long gone Sobranie N°759, without the classic brilliance.

I've been a fan of the GLP Latakia "Original Mixtures" blends, finding Charing Cross, Blackpoint and Oddyssey my favorites, but also liking Caravan and —of course– the vanished Bohemian Nights. The Latakia, while there is too subdued, the Orientals opaque and the Virginia base simple and homely. I don't know if this is due to the young age of the tin (only six months) and will probably improve dramatically after the 18 mo. mark, as most of Mr. Pease blends do but only time will tell. For the time being I'm cellaring the rest.

Technically, this is a blend that begs for more sophistication. The cut is all right and a welcome deviation from the usual short ribbon. The tin aroma is rather flat and unpromising but improves after first light. Burns well, fresh and slow. Improves a bit in taste halfway through the bowl but this is brief and disappears on the bottom. Probably one of his poorest creations.
PurchasedFrom: Cup O Joes
Dec 03, 2013 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
This is a very nice LA blend. The LA is smoky, the OR are spicy and the VAs do add a little sweetness to it. The result is a rich and tasty experience and the nicotine input is satisfactory. There was stil a little tongue bite here and there, but with my next tin being opened when it will have 2 years of age, there will be no more tongue bite.

I have had difficulties in the past with Pease's LA blends, but this one is really good.
Pipe Used: Dunhill; Blatter; Meerschaum (no stamp)
PurchasedFrom: Gift
Age When Smoked: 1 year
May 07, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I've been anticipating this blend for a long long time. Today I finally had a chance to give it a go. The tin is only 2 months old, so still young.

I have only had 1 smoke of it and will update as time goes by.

First impression, the smell is great. The tobacco is slightly moist, not by much. It did require a few more relights than usual but I can see that wouldn't be an issue in the long run.

First puff, not impressed to say the least. Weak and bland. I was expecting this to be a lat bomb. What i got was something in between Meridian and Chelsea morning.

After a few more puffs, I can taste the flavors melting together and it slowly becomes something much more complex. The strength does slowly but surely grows. Now i think I'm kinda hooked.

In a month or so I'll be sure to know whether this is a keeper or just an affair and I'll report back. 3 out of 4 stars for now.
Jul 04, 2012 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm a fan of the Old London series, in part because I prefer broken flakes to any other presentation of pipe tobacco. Lagonda took a while (2 oz.) to get a handle on and differentiate from the other two. It is, to my taste, a bit more Latakia forward and the Virginias are more muted. With a touch of drying, Lagonda smokes cool and with minimal relights. The room note is typical of an English--those who don't care for Latakia will find the room note less than tolerable. I like the scent, though. Don't get me wrong, though, while I think the Latakia seems more forward in this blend, it is not a Latakia powerhouse. Lagonda is a fine, balanced English for slow, contemplative puffing. Recommended.
Jun 21, 2012 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
This one fits my flavor profile very well. Lots of meandering colors here and ultra smoooooooth. I'll be purchasing several tins next time around and aging them. Anxious to see how they come alive with a few years. He said this one should age well, so....
May 07, 2012 Medium Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin marked 090711. Taste really opened up after about 8 weeks after starting closed and more than a bit bitey. Ribbon cut was on the fine side for a Greg Pease tobacco but very easy to load and excellent burning characteristics. After about 8 weeks air the taste was incredible - the most vivid I have come across in 35 years of pipe smoking. Impressions invoked were fruit (tangerine and/or some fruit I have never come across) balanced by cedar, leather perhaps pleasant creosote. Slightly winey feel overall but surely this combination requires the now long gone Syrian Latakia? I am afraid my words fail to do the intensity of flavour justice - can I just say that if the late and much lamented Jimi Hendrix had blended a tobacco this would surely be it! The downside is that even after air this is not the easiest of smokes - it remains very slightly bitey for me but this is very likely just my problem with medium strength smokes - a poorly controlled technique even after all these years in other words. Will I order it again? Not perhaps in quantity but I will return to it over time in the hope of finding comfort as well as beauty but certainly finding stimulation when things look a little dull. Overall this is an intriguing mixture that every pipe smoker who values vivid tastes should try at least once.
Apr 28, 2012 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
You won't be dissapointed by English mixtures created by the great Mr. (it should be Sir by now) Greg Pease. Lagonda not only did follow that rule, but raised the bar one more time. Its perfect balance and top-notch ingredients make this classic English a delightful and soothing experience. I often find GLPease Latakia mixtures too heavy in the legendary leaf. Samarra and Lagonda are among the ones that never overwhelm me. The latter will be my favorite English/Balkan tobacco for some time.

By all means, give it a try.
Apr 26, 2012 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I really enjoyed this blend, at first I found the latakia a little on the heavy side for my liking, but as I continued to smoke it I started to really enjoy this stuff! This is one of those heavy, leathery latakia smokes, yet it is quite well balanced if you ask me. The preparation techniques they used on this one really meld the flavors together quite well in my opinion. Overall, good smoke, great heavy english!
Apr 09, 2012 Medium None Detected Overwhelming Pleasant
Lagonda is made of very high quality component tobaccos. The pressing process blends them together very well. The resulting flavor is overwhelming. And that's the problem for me -- the flavor of this tobacco is just too intense. From the orientals to the ripe, sweet Virginias to the copious amount of Latakia, this blend is just over the top.

It sounds crazy to be saying that a blend has too much flavor, but Greg Pease has done it. Here's an analogy if you haven't tried this blend yet: Most of us pipe smokers like rich flavorful foods -- things like BBQ ribs, steak, bacon, cheeses, creamy sauces -- but nobody wants to eat a bacon-wrapped filet mignon with melted blue cheese on top, plus hollandaise, all garnished with a side of BBQ ribs. Well, at least _I_ don't. But that's what Lagonda tastes like to me -- too much of otherwise very good things.

There are much better English/Latakia blends out there than this one, many of them from GL Pease.
Nov 10, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Revised 9/26/2016- I find GLP blends hard for me to accurately review as he does use many of the same types of Tobaccos but in varying proportions and some with or without perique. Also I do find that aging does change the blend, although some will say it doesn't. My initial review from a new tin was not that enthusiastic , again from a 2 year old tin it hadn't changed much. It was a dry latakie flavor without any sweetness and some harshness. A totally boring smoke and without merit.

Fast forward to this revision from a 5 year old tin and we have a nice smoke. You do need to take this slow and you get an Oriental hit that reminds me of split oak logs, very interesting. Yes, it's still a dry Latakia forward blend , but it now has some interest and is smoother.
Age When Smoked: 2 years/5years
Oct 30, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I just finished my third tin of Lagonda. While it's certainly not a Lat Bomb to my palate, the Latakia takes center stage and refuses to relent, almost drowning out the VA and Orientals. I say almost, because it has its "moments" albeit fleeting ones where the VA and Oriental raise their head and this blend really turns on and sings, then its back to center stage. Experience has taught me that with some GLP blends, time in the cellar to age is simply necessary. Will revisit in a year or so. Recommended if you do not mind the wait for it to age.
Oct 25, 2011 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
It has a "raw", unfinished edge to it, something's missing. I think it should do better after very long aging (years), as I found it a bit harsh and somewhat medicinal tasting. Room note is nothing special.
Aug 12, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
The first thing i taste as soon as it's lit is Latakia. Not rubbery start up Latakia but good smooth Latakia. Next comes the base of orientals and Virginia which are balanced so well that they are as one. It's smokes a little lighter than i expected at first but is not at all weak. The strength increases in a linear fashion along with the oriental/virginia coming to the for over the Latakia as the bowl progresses. Half way down i can taste strong similarities to GLP Caravan (spicy)(i smoke that daily) as no doubt they share some components. I really like GLP products and so far it would seem that this one will fit in nicely with the rest of the stable. I still like greg's jackknife plug the most though.

Smoked in a 1920's Barling's that doesn't lie.
Apr 17, 2023 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
A very good, though unremarkable, savory Latakia blend. Nicotine isn't noticeable. The cut is pretty thick, I don't love how it packs, but it burns well. It inhabits a particular niche which it may fill as well as a number of other options for me, so it may end up in my regular rotation after all. This is one of those Latakia blends which i struggle to describe, more than the sum of its parts, but the only part i can really identify is Latakia smoke.
Nov 21, 2022 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin note of red wine, smoke, and mild sweet fruit. Tobacco is a "stuck together thick ribbon" and is mostly dark brown with a little black and tan. Some pieces need rubbing out like broken flake. Moisture is good to go. Burns slow with a few relights. The strength is medium and nic is mild. No flavoring detected. Taste is medium to full and consistent, with notes of sharp smoky, very woody, very earthy, moderately spicy, musty sour, floral, bready, mildly tart sweet background note, and a moderately peppery retro. Latakia barely beating the Orientals for the lead with Virginia supporting. Room note is pleasant to tolerable, and aftertaste is outstanding.
Pipe Used: 1981 Peterson Mark Twain
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Sep 05, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I mostly smoke Vaper blends, but I really do enjoy enjoy english blends, especially at certain points of the year.

Had one of those early fall like days here. About 55 degrees and a light rain. My body instantly started screaming LATAKIA. This is perfect latakia weather. Reached for some nightcap and it was dried out. Looked through my unopened tins and found a blend I had been meaning to try but hadn't yet. Lagonda.

When I smoke english blends, I really like big in your face latakia blends. Nightcap being an all time favorite. The description of this tobacco makes it out to be a little more big and scary than it really is. Don't get me wrong, this is very lat forward, but don't be scared away by thinking it might be overwhelming. Try it, you may like it.

Opening the tin, about 2 years old, 2020 date it was pretty dry. Like dry enough where I had some powder. I was worried, but it smoked just fine.

Tin note is very lat forward. It has that nice incense like latakia note, almost boozy without any real alcohol. Don't misconstrue those words, there is no topping detected here.

My favorite part of Latakia blends is the initial light. You get that big, rich, incense latakia blast. So good. This blend settles in nicely and is interesting and enjoyable the whole smoke. It does settle a bit, and while latakia is the main driving force here, I would not include this in my list of latakia super-heavyweights.

It was a perfect match for the time and place, and I have enjoyed many bowls since. A great blend, but that being said.....what tin with G.L. Pease written on the front isnt?
Aug 21, 2018 Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong
This is a Balkan blend in my book. The blend contains Virginia tobaccos married with a composite of orientals, probably predominantly Macedonian in this case with a good measure of Latakia The tumbled flake in my tin is well aged. Although the blend seemed to be moist, for us pipe enthusiasts who perfer to smoke slowly, the moisture is perfect. I do a charring light, then the main light. After that, I get roughly an hour of smoking pleasure from one bowl after that. The high quality orientals may prove to be initially too forward for many, but fade into the rest of the band of flavors as the bowl warms up. the tangieness of the mixture soon turns sweeter as the warmth of the bowl frees more of the Virginia flavor. The Latakia presence is robust, and complimentary for a Balkan blend. Those of us that enjoy a good Balkan style blend, that is full flavored will be well served to enjoy a tin of this fine mixture.
Pipe Used: Catuga Billiard
PurchasedFrom: Indian Rvier Tobacco Traders
Nov 04, 2017 Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Good quality tobacco, with b
ring red virginia in american style. I dont understand why Pease and Mcclelland try to call their inventions like traditional english blens..... This boring poored winey/ketchupy virginia is sometimes good by itself, but in a bland with latakia and orientals it is like to eat pasta with ketchup: its a matter of education, of culture: its unsound !!!

target="_blank"