Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake

(3.10)
Gawith Hoggarths only VaPer (Virginia & perique) flake and has the added twist of a chocolaty topping. The perique is used sparingly to give a light figgy taste, but none of the punchy twang found at higher levels. The light chocolate topping brings out a nutty sweetness from the Virginias and combines for a mellow and flavoursome smoke. Medium bodied and a great introduction to perique tobaccos.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.10 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 38 Reviews
Feb 20, 2016 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant
I find more chocolate flavour in this particular blend than in Bob's chocolate flake. All and all, it is a better smoke too. The Virginia/Perique leaf is quite apparent and it is all combined in a rather pleasant package that will deliver a very nice and satisfying smoke. These flakes are presented in this sort of irregular well aged format that it is so pleasing to look at. In my personal opinion this is one of the best Gawith Hoggarth VaPers, but the Kendall casing is somewhat missing in this particular blend. If you are undecided due to the fact you are not so much into aromatics, just to say you might like this particular one as the casing does not feel artificial and it won't bite your tongue. There is a huge difference in between English and Danish aromatics and Gawtih Hoggarth is quite representative in this sense. As a matter of fact, I don't regard any of the English aromatics as "aromatics." Rather, I call them "Kendals," for this is what they are.
Nov 21, 2022 Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant
El olor en lata es el de una onza de chocolate con leche. Es de fuerza media y sabor un poco más de medio. El perique se nota poco y y el sabor jabonoso yo no lo noto en absoluto. Sabe a cacao, a chocolate, a bombón. Es dulce y suave con un pequeño toque picante y algo terroso. No es un vaper típico pero está delicioso. Ideal como tabaco navideño y a los que están a tu alrededor les agradará la nota de habitación que deja. Recomendadísimo.
Aug 25, 2018 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A different class of VaPer ... flakes are dark and notes are of typical G&H tobacco. Packs and burns easily it gives you a spiciness feel upon lighting and continue through out mid to quarter bowl I don't think its of parique but some other ingredient there is just a hint of chocolate coco taste. As they say vapers are for summer days but this is well intended for the cooler afternoons. A very good enjoable somke.
Pipe Used: German Briar
PurchasedFrom: GQ Tobacco UK
May 20, 2017 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Plain and simple, this is a delicious high quality pipe tobacco. The Perique in it does not offer the deep, plummy notes and/ or spicy/ peppery flavors one looks for in a VaPer, but I do not miss them when I smoke this flake. There is probably an equal amount of cocoa essence. Has a very nice fresh, oven baked bread like quality, as well.

I started out by getting a couple of small samples over a few months, but now have one 1/2 pint jar cellared, which I intend to let age. I expect it will become even sweeter. More will be ordered because I also like to smoke this new.
Pipe Used: Preben Holm Ben Wade half bent Brandy
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Nov 26, 2015 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
This light brown flake is relatively easy to rub out. It is at a moisture level where it is just fine for smoking right out of the bag. The taste is very pleasant, with Perique spiciness and Tonquin flavor. The Virginia is sweet and the balance of flavors is superb. This smooth smoke has finesse and is of moderate nicotine strength. With the Virginia, Perique, Tonquin bean, and whiskey flavor, there is depth and complexity. I really enjoy this tobacco and it is one of the best Vapers I have smoked. Particularly I like the creamy smoothness and the spicy, sweet taste. I smoked it in a medium/large Comoy's Guildhall billiard and a small/medium BBB Sovereign Dublin.
Pipe Used: Comoy's Guildhall billiard, BBB Dublin
PurchasedFrom: 4 Noggins
Age When Smoked: Fresh from purchase
Jan 28, 2006 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
January 2006.

Before lighting,I removed just enough tobacco to fill my pipe and let it air-out on a sheet of paper for about 10 to 20 min's.

It lit with-out alot of fuss,and just a few tamp's along the way was all that it required.

Here's a real treat that doe's not blow you away with any tongue bite,but doe's have just the right amount of delicious flavour's of both the virginia and perique.

Delicious,but not overpowering at all,and is a great all day blend.

My top 4 Virginia-Perique's are,Escudo,Three Nun's,Mc's 2015 & Louisana Flake.

Highly recommended.
Feb 19, 2023 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Summary: a Virginia blend with a smidge of Perique and chocolate/floral topping.

Making a Va/Per that is both good and distinctive can take up a lot of brain cycles, but this blend spaces itself out from the Va/Per angle to instead focus on a type of "English garden" of flavors added to an intensely sweet but mild Virginia blend. The Lakeland Essence is present with its clove, cinnamon, geranium, and incense flavors, but so is a small amount of Perique which adds a wine-like spice instead of a dark fermented pressure in the other ingredients. As a result, this blend serves up light and bright Virginia flavor with enough depth to keep you going, although not enough nicotine for your average GH/SG consumer.
Jul 28, 2021 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
I thought I would give this a try after recently deciding to try Virginia perique’s again. So I ordered 50g as a starter. So the flakes are as I would expect from Gawith and Hoggarth. They are very long about 1mm thick, straggly and rough around the edges. Rustic really. The smell in the bag is actually quite nice. You get the grassy hay sweetness from the Virginias, some sour notes and a very subtle smell of cocoa. If you pick up a flake and rub it out, you can smell the cocoa a lot more. The moisture level was excellent but I don’t know how it has been stored previously. So with a whole box it might be a bit moist.

It lit really easily and I only had to do the charring light and the full light. The burn was consistent and the tobaccos burns into a fine white ash leaving nothing at the bottom of the bowl. The taste is what I would describe as subtle. You get the sweet grass/hay notes that you would expect, I did have a little tingle which would be the perique and this is topped off by a sweet cocoa taste. It’s not overpowering though. In some of the G&H tonquin blends that is all you taste. It is not like that with this. I think with a big bowl you could spend a good couple of hours trying to pull out of the flavours. The beard note is very pleasant! There is not bite, I smoked some this afternoon between rain showers and in the wind, nothing at all. It was very pleasant.

What I would say is that it doesn’t leap out and grab you. It’s very middle of the line. It’s enjoyable and tastes nice but it feels very “meh”. It would be a good place to start with flake tobaccos and Virginia perique’s because it is middle of the line, doesn’t bite and has a nice cocoa after taste.
Pipe Used: MM Emerald
PurchasedFrom: My smoking shop
May 04, 2021 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
The past month or two has been very exciting and productive, as it pertains to my discovery of new tobaccos. I’ve been on a very lucky streak it seems. It’s as if nearly each new blend I try becomes my new favorite.

Such is the case with Louisiana Flake. I’d only just discovered—and fallen madly in love with—Dark Flake Aromatic (also by Gawith Hoggarth) and Rattray’s Marlin Flake, only to be even more blown away by this great VaPer from our dear friends in the Lakeland region.

I’m not one of those pipe smokers who loves most VaPers. To me, a little perique goes a long way... but if there’s too little, it may as well be a straight Virginia. The master tobacco wizards at GH have found the absolute perfect ratio of perique to Virginia.

I’m not going to get into tasting notes, just that this one is absolutely amazing, and I now understand why it sells out within minutes of being released to the public. The pouch note I found vaguely reminiscent of Escudo, and the perique flavor reminds me of that one as well, although there may be a touch more of it in this blend.

That’s not to say that this one smokes like Escudo. While I consider Escudo good, this one’s great.

The flavoring is light, and simply enhances the flavor of the tobaccos. Perfect. Just perfect.

I “only” have a 500g (and rapidly shrinking) stash of this fine product, and an already sweating how I'm going to be able to keep some of this perpetually on hand.

Because you see this is one of those rare blends I suddenly find myself needing instead of just wanting. Louisiana Flake from our friends at the house of Gawith Hoggarth may be the best thing I’ve ever smoked.
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: Another individual pipe smoker
Age When Smoked: New stock
Oct 13, 2020 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
I just finished a one ounce sample of this I purchased 5 yrs ago and I really wished I would have tried it then, because I would have put a few pounds in the cellar. This is just a great tobacco, albeit not for the lakeland haters as it certainly has a bit of that floral essence so common in many(or all?) of the GH blends.

I am not a big fan of Ennerdale or some of the other heavily scented GH blends and this is definitely not one of the heavier ones, but I would put the essence a touch over what is within Best Brown Number 2.

I had read some of the reviews and most of the disdain for this blend does develop over the aforementioned essence, but I was surprised by some who claim the Perique to very light to almost non-existent in this one. I found it quite prominent in the second half of the bowl.

The first half was mostly floral essence with little Virginia or Perique. As you work into the second half of the bowl there is a very fine flavor that develops as the essence transitions to a deep sweetness that can only come from fine virginia and perique. While the Virginia is in the lead, I found the Perigue relevant in that is added both body and spice.

This was a special smoke for me and I loved every bowl I had out of the one ounce sample.

target="_blank"