Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake

(3.11)
Gawith Hoggarths only VaPer (Virginia & perique) flake and has the added twist of a chocolaty topping. The perique is used sparingly to give a light figgy taste, but none of the punchy twang found at higher levels. The light chocolate topping brings out a nutty sweetness from the Virginias and combines for a mellow and flavoursome smoke. Medium bodied and a great introduction to perique tobaccos.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.11 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 38 Reviews
Feb 01, 2011 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
Here we have the VaPer for those who think they don't like VaPers. The perique was mildly tingly but not peppery or heavy. It added just a breath of additional flavor and it worked beautifully with the depth of the virginias. I didn't really taste the cocoa but it did add a mild sweetness to the mix that wasn't a sweet I associate with virginia tobacco. Whatever they did, it worked spectacularly!

Beautiful dark golden flake that came over-moist. I preferred this very, very dry - almost tinder. Doing so did add the faintest precept of a bite at first light but it backed off nicely after the first half-dozen puffs. The flavor was sweet but with a toasted bread essence. The perique was most noticeable when I exhaled through the nose and never tickled my throat. This blend was very gentlemanly but it had exceptional flavor. Typically I prefer my perique to be more present and have even commented on lighter fare with a certain touch of wistfulness. Not here. This blend simply works on all levels. My 2 oz sample was parlayed into a 500 gram purchase and this has made my regular rotation with a bullet!
Dec 07, 2011 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is one of my favorite GH flakes! The pouch scent is mainly of chocolate mixed with the usual raisin/fig smell associated with VaPers. I prefer to let the tan/brown flake dry out some as it arrives moist. I have smoked it folded and rubbed out and I find rubbed out brings out the most in LPF. As others have mentioned, the perique is added with somewhat of a light hand, but really helps to balance out the sweetness of the blend. I am fairly certain that the sweetness is a result of manual manipulation and not simply the result of the Virginia's. I do taste a light chocolate flavor and that along with the well blended tobaccos make for a wonderfully balanced blend. I don't pick up the florals to the extent that others have mentioned, but it could be because I smoke a lot of GH blends with far more floral taste. For those that like to cellar their blends, Louisiana Perique Flake should be a great candidate for long term storage.

Lovers of GH flakes and those looking for a different take on the typical VaPer, LPF should be on your “must try” list. Highly Recommended.
Oct 27, 2017 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Louisiana Flake.

Note: another of my early reviews I decided wasn't too useful so deleted to re-post.

The moisture of this pouch on arrival was good, it needed no time to air at all. In the pouch-note the chocolate is the only added flavour I recognize, I can't pick out any Lakeland/floral additions.

My first piece of advice with this is when ordering don't bother with a 25g pouch, get the biggest you can, it's bloomin' lovely! The chocolate's a notable addition, but never does it become too sweet, or sticky. There's just enough to add another dimension to the smoke, without it seeming 'aromatic'. Although some folks identify a Lakeland/floral appurtenance, this escapes me. The Perique's a lighter variety: enhancing the Virginia with mild spice, but it doesn't take over with vinegary causticity. The Virginia's the prominent tobacco, by a long score. I get no issues with the burn: cool, consistent, and of a medium speed. Nor do I have a complaint about bite: none.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Louisiana Flake? Highly recommended:

Four stars.
Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe
PurchasedFrom: Various
Age When Smoked: Various
May 30, 2012 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
I find myself reaching for this tobacco more than any other I smoke. The quality of the leaf is top notch, and the flavor is perfect. If you're a VaPer purist, you might be a little disappointed. Also, if you're not accustomed to Lakeland toppings, you might be put off when you first try it. They can be mildly "soapy" until you get used to them. Louisiana Flake is no exception. The Lake Sauce, like the Perique, is lightly applied but definitely noticeable. Taken as a whole and unique creation, this is a brilliantly crafted blend. Highly recommended.
Jul 14, 2012 Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable
Bought this at local B&M, who are growing pipe tobacco part of biz. First non- tinned baccy, 7ish per oz. Long caked flake, nice complex colors, good texture, unsure of what moisture content should be as this was nearly last oz in large jar, moist enough...

Smelled of good powder cocoa, and Virginias. I got no other smells, no whiskey or anything else. Nearing end of oz, as it has dried out its taken on a very peppery taste. I reside in SE Louisiana, love Perique (and all things spicy, fwiw) and this was very spicy.

Orlik Golden Sliced is a go to in my rotation, and as I understand it to be a Danish Vaper, more mild. This ounce -however - would be akin to comparing ketchup to Tabasco. Also, don't know how the tonquin fits in, maybe it adds to the pepper? It makes my mouth somewhat....numb after!? It is very tasty, will try to get several ozs when I catch a fresh batch at the store, see if there's a difference. Won't likely make permanent rotation- of which a Vaper is always present, but if your up for some zip in your pipe, give it a try.

Edit: Having smoked several VaPers since this review, decided this was tasty enough to purchase it by the pound! I missed it that much 🙂
OSR
Oct 10, 2005 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
As a big G&H fan, I received this generous sample with great anticipation. While I do enjoy VA/P blends (Elizibethan Mixture by Dunhill is the current favorite) my mindset was that G&H would "perfume" the mixture up somewhat and thus change the dynamic of the pair. In other words, I was expecting a "flower cascade" of flavor on top of a milder VA with a smidgen of perique.

This is NOT what I was expecting. If there is a flavoring agent in this tobacco it is entirely subtle. There may be a tad of chocolate or cocoa in this blend but that's about it.

Brownish and black in color, this flake arrived a whit on the moist side; No problem, I folded the flake up and cut it with scissors into an almost granulated cut. These days I find that this granulated cut smokes best for me.

After letting the tobacco air for a few minutes I loaded up my pipe and applied match; Wonderful! There is a creamy roundness to the VA's (a smidge of burley added?) and the perique is there but it's waaay in the background. Full flavor, quality tobacco which I totally expect from G&H.

What is this similar to? Nothing that I've tried in the line is similar to this. Louisiana Flake is more natural than the flakes that I so enjoy and the perique is applied with a subtle and masterful hand. You get the taste of the perique but without the "peppering" that (say) a blend like Elizibethan Mixture has.

At mid-bowl the blend hasn't changed much but has picked up a little steam, flavor and nicotine wise. While this isn't overpowering it IS full in flavor. And the perique keeps in the background yet I know it's there.

I'll buy a brick or two of this and smoke it this winter to see if my impression changes. My generous sample has been lovely. For those who like the fullness of G&H tobaccos then you'll like this one. The Perique adds a little zing to the blend without peppering your tongue. Quality and consistency is something that I always expect from Gawith and Hoggarth and this Louisiana Flake definitely continues in this tradition. Very nice and quite a surprise!
Apr 28, 2015 Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I am really enjoying this tobacco the second time around. The first time I smoked it years ago, I was blown away with what some call the "soapy" aroma/flavor. I quickly turned away from the blend. Now that I revisit, I am loving it - especially the tonquin. I love good vapers and am happy with Gawith, Hogarth's take on this wonderful style. I will be buying more for sure.

I smoked this fairly fresh leaving most of the new flake moisture typically found with this blender. (I believe dry tobacco is a crying shame). I thoroughly rubbed it out, just sprinkled it in the bowl until it mounded over the top of the bowl, and then packed it down just below the rim. I lit it, let it go out, repeated, then lit it for the third time which took me to the end of the bowl. Burned cool, and was enjoyed to the fullest. I find it better to pack lighter than I thought possible, and make sure plenty of moisture still resides in the tobacco. Awesome stuff.
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes.com
Oct 03, 2017 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
I got some GH&C Louisiana Flake mostly to compare it to its ex-pat sibling, GLP Stonehenge. As much as I like the latter, I have to say, I think I like LF better! When I got my bulk sample I promptly put it in a jar that I left alone for a month, based on my experience with Stonehenge. Opening the jar, the moist, gold striated, dark brown flakes smelled like dark chocolate over subdued, stewed prunes, and - surprise – no Lakeland scent. Despite it’s a bit of a pain to smoke wet, I much prefer LF flakes this way, folded, spindled, and loosely stuffed into my Stonehenge pipe. It lights with effort at tin moisture, then, given regular attention, it burns down slowly to some black dottle that I presently toss out and write off as part of the cost of enjoying this fine-tasting flake to the fullest. As pronounced as the chocolate starts out in the jar, it’s barely there over deep, stewed prunes and very deep, exotic Perique when I smoke it. The Lakeland essence is also noticeable, though it’s much less so than Stonehenge. The VAs are pretty stout. They seem to be rich, sweet, slightly musty, air cured browns and deep, stoved reds. GH&C specify that just a small portion of Perique is used. You could have fooled me; I think there is plenty, not so much peppery as generally “spicy”, even dessert spices. Also, though there’s no mention of Burley in the TR blurb, LF smells and tastes to me of dark fired, so deep and so rich is this blend. Perhaps it is the rare, KY Cavendish? Regardless, I find LF to have a perfect balance of earth, brown sugar/molasses, spice, stewed, dark fruit, white pepper, cardamom, paprika and more. It’s darn near as deep and earthy as HH Bold Kentucky, though it’s not as spicy, nor as edgy; rather, it is soft and smooth by comparison. LF is deeper in some ways than HH Old Dark Fired. Finally, LF is deeper, “darker”, and more intense than Stonehenge, which does declare some KY. Strength is medium. Tastes are toward full from medium. Room note is tolerable at best. Aftertaste is a nice, trailing best of the smoke.

I would say, if you like the other blends I mentioned above, try Louisiana Flake. It’s cracking good.
Pipe Used: Stonehenge briar
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Age When Smoked: jarred a month before smokingt
Aug 30, 2017 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant
I find this tobacco to be fruity, chocolatey and sweet. Being called Louisiana Perique,it left me wondering where the perique until I read a review saying just enough perique was used to bring out its raisin or plum flavors. As for citrus flavor, to me it's very subdued as is the hint of lakeland. With the riot of plums and chocolate going on I'd have to be looking for it to notice it. If Stonehenge came in bulk, it would be a toss-up between it and Louisiana Perique. I think that I do prefer the Louisiana Flake over Stonehenge. I find Stonehenge more subdued in it's flavors, at least the tin I got. Not having the patience to "rub it out" I usually take a chef's knife and cube it. In the future I'll give it more drying time so it's more easily lit. Without drying it takes three or four times to get it lit. Which may be a plus for Stonehenge, which is a thinner flake,thus easier to light.
Pipe Used: Peterson Silver Mounted Army (01) Fishtail
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Feb 20, 2016 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant
I find more chocolate flavour in this particular blend than in Bob's chocolate flake. All and all, it is a better smoke too. The Virginia/Perique leaf is quite apparent and it is all combined in a rather pleasant package that will deliver a very nice and satisfying smoke. These flakes are presented in this sort of irregular well aged format that it is so pleasing to look at. In my personal opinion this is one of the best Gawith Hoggarth VaPers, but the Kendall casing is somewhat missing in this particular blend. If you are undecided due to the fact you are not so much into aromatics, just to say you might like this particular one as the casing does not feel artificial and it won't bite your tongue. There is a huge difference in between English and Danish aromatics and Gawtih Hoggarth is quite representative in this sense. As a matter of fact, I don't regard any of the English aromatics as "aromatics." Rather, I call them "Kendals," for this is what they are.
Dec 14, 2022 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Bag note musty sweet coco this G and H is not wet at all and surprisingly it was a bit on the dry side. This may be because it was purchased from a B & M in bulk. Rather than rubbing it out I break the flakes in half and stuff them in the pipe length wise I think this allows it to burn a bit cooler. This is much milder than I expected from the other reviews. The perique is present but not excessively but it builds as you progress through the bowl. Gives just a bit of tongue tingle. The most prominent notes are coco and some lite sweetness with the spiciness of the perique. Full tobacco flavor. The Lakeland soap is only slightly noticeable. Not an all day smoke but a super nice change. Nic hit is middle. quite enjoyable if you like perique.
Pipe Used: Many briars and Cobs
PurchasedFrom: Chesapeake pipe and cigar
Age When Smoked: 1 year age
Aug 25, 2018 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A different class of VaPer ... flakes are dark and notes are of typical G&H tobacco. Packs and burns easily it gives you a spiciness feel upon lighting and continue through out mid to quarter bowl I don't think its of parique but some other ingredient there is just a hint of chocolate coco taste. As they say vapers are for summer days but this is well intended for the cooler afternoons. A very good enjoable somke.
Pipe Used: German Briar
PurchasedFrom: GQ Tobacco UK
May 20, 2017 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Plain and simple, this is a delicious high quality pipe tobacco. The Perique in it does not offer the deep, plummy notes and/ or spicy/ peppery flavors one looks for in a VaPer, but I do not miss them when I smoke this flake. There is probably an equal amount of cocoa essence. Has a very nice fresh, oven baked bread like quality, as well.

I started out by getting a couple of small samples over a few months, but now have one 1/2 pint jar cellared, which I intend to let age. I expect it will become even sweeter. More will be ordered because I also like to smoke this new.
Pipe Used: Preben Holm Ben Wade half bent Brandy
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Nov 26, 2015 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
This light brown flake is relatively easy to rub out. It is at a moisture level where it is just fine for smoking right out of the bag. The taste is very pleasant, with Perique spiciness and Tonquin flavor. The Virginia is sweet and the balance of flavors is superb. This smooth smoke has finesse and is of moderate nicotine strength. With the Virginia, Perique, Tonquin bean, and whiskey flavor, there is depth and complexity. I really enjoy this tobacco and it is one of the best Vapers I have smoked. Particularly I like the creamy smoothness and the spicy, sweet taste. I smoked it in a medium/large Comoy's Guildhall billiard and a small/medium BBB Sovereign Dublin.
Pipe Used: Comoy's Guildhall billiard, BBB Dublin
PurchasedFrom: 4 Noggins
Age When Smoked: Fresh from purchase
Jan 28, 2006 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
January 2006.

Before lighting,I removed just enough tobacco to fill my pipe and let it air-out on a sheet of paper for about 10 to 20 min's.

It lit with-out alot of fuss,and just a few tamp's along the way was all that it required.

Here's a real treat that doe's not blow you away with any tongue bite,but doe's have just the right amount of delicious flavour's of both the virginia and perique.

Delicious,but not overpowering at all,and is a great all day blend.

My top 4 Virginia-Perique's are,Escudo,Three Nun's,Mc's 2015 & Louisana Flake.

Highly recommended.
Nov 21, 2022 Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant
El olor en lata es el de una onza de chocolate con leche. Es de fuerza media y sabor un poco más de medio. El perique se nota poco y y el sabor jabonoso yo no lo noto en absoluto. Sabe a cacao, a chocolate, a bombón. Es dulce y suave con un pequeño toque picante y algo terroso. No es un vaper típico pero está delicioso. Ideal como tabaco navideño y a los que están a tu alrededor les agradará la nota de habitación que deja. Recomendadísimo.
Jul 28, 2021 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
I thought I would give this a try after recently deciding to try Virginia perique’s again. So I ordered 50g as a starter. So the flakes are as I would expect from Gawith and Hoggarth. They are very long about 1mm thick, straggly and rough around the edges. Rustic really. The smell in the bag is actually quite nice. You get the grassy hay sweetness from the Virginias, some sour notes and a very subtle smell of cocoa. If you pick up a flake and rub it out, you can smell the cocoa a lot more. The moisture level was excellent but I don’t know how it has been stored previously. So with a whole box it might be a bit moist.

It lit really easily and I only had to do the charring light and the full light. The burn was consistent and the tobaccos burns into a fine white ash leaving nothing at the bottom of the bowl. The taste is what I would describe as subtle. You get the sweet grass/hay notes that you would expect, I did have a little tingle which would be the perique and this is topped off by a sweet cocoa taste. It’s not overpowering though. In some of the G&H tonquin blends that is all you taste. It is not like that with this. I think with a big bowl you could spend a good couple of hours trying to pull out of the flavours. The beard note is very pleasant! There is not bite, I smoked some this afternoon between rain showers and in the wind, nothing at all. It was very pleasant.

What I would say is that it doesn’t leap out and grab you. It’s very middle of the line. It’s enjoyable and tastes nice but it feels very “meh”. It would be a good place to start with flake tobaccos and Virginia perique’s because it is middle of the line, doesn’t bite and has a nice cocoa after taste.
Pipe Used: MM Emerald
PurchasedFrom: My smoking shop
May 04, 2021 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
The past month or two has been very exciting and productive, as it pertains to my discovery of new tobaccos. I’ve been on a very lucky streak it seems. It’s as if nearly each new blend I try becomes my new favorite.

Such is the case with Louisiana Flake. I’d only just discovered—and fallen madly in love with—Dark Flake Aromatic (also by Gawith Hoggarth) and Rattray’s Marlin Flake, only to be even more blown away by this great VaPer from our dear friends in the Lakeland region.

I’m not one of those pipe smokers who loves most VaPers. To me, a little perique goes a long way... but if there’s too little, it may as well be a straight Virginia. The master tobacco wizards at GH have found the absolute perfect ratio of perique to Virginia.

I’m not going to get into tasting notes, just that this one is absolutely amazing, and I now understand why it sells out within minutes of being released to the public. The pouch note I found vaguely reminiscent of Escudo, and the perique flavor reminds me of that one as well, although there may be a touch more of it in this blend.

That’s not to say that this one smokes like Escudo. While I consider Escudo good, this one’s great.

The flavoring is light, and simply enhances the flavor of the tobaccos. Perfect. Just perfect.

I “only” have a 500g (and rapidly shrinking) stash of this fine product, and an already sweating how I'm going to be able to keep some of this perpetually on hand.

Because you see this is one of those rare blends I suddenly find myself needing instead of just wanting. Louisiana Flake from our friends at the house of Gawith Hoggarth may be the best thing I’ve ever smoked.
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: Another individual pipe smoker
Age When Smoked: New stock
Oct 13, 2020 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
I just finished a one ounce sample of this I purchased 5 yrs ago and I really wished I would have tried it then, because I would have put a few pounds in the cellar. This is just a great tobacco, albeit not for the lakeland haters as it certainly has a bit of that floral essence so common in many(or all?) of the GH blends.

I am not a big fan of Ennerdale or some of the other heavily scented GH blends and this is definitely not one of the heavier ones, but I would put the essence a touch over what is within Best Brown Number 2.

I had read some of the reviews and most of the disdain for this blend does develop over the aforementioned essence, but I was surprised by some who claim the Perique to very light to almost non-existent in this one. I found it quite prominent in the second half of the bowl.

The first half was mostly floral essence with little Virginia or Perique. As you work into the second half of the bowl there is a very fine flavor that develops as the essence transitions to a deep sweetness that can only come from fine virginia and perique. While the Virginia is in the lead, I found the Perigue relevant in that is added both body and spice.

This was a special smoke for me and I loved every bowl I had out of the one ounce sample.
Nov 10, 2018 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable
Unsmoked Louisiana Flake smells of bitter chocolate and decaying grass-like Virginia tobacco. I bought in bulk and the tobacco came in the right moisture to rub out and smoke straight away.

From the first whiff I felt a tingle to my nostrils. Yet the Perique influence is only mild and it is felt like a mild spiciness in this overall round and sweet tobacco. Very easy to smoke and enjoy, I feel it will satisfy the more experienced smoker and the novice alike. Flavour builds up as does strength. It seems to me to also have a trace, but just a trace, of a Lakeland florality to it, which after all it’s only to be expected, the flakes coming from the Gawith factory. Strength is a little past medium but it’s within the boundaries of an all-day smoke, at least for me, moreover it’s a smooth smoke without edges. I find interesting the interplay of dark aged Virginia flavor with a touch of cocoa and a trace of Perique which is felt as a black pepper spiciness – a little bit like the original Mayan recipe of chocolate - with a little of dark stewed fruit juiciness. It has a considerable sweetness which is not excessive and although mildly flavoured it has the feel of natural tobacco like most of the G&H products.

As a Vaper it has a very small amount of Perique and as a Lakeland the florality is only marginal. In comparison to Bob’s Chocolate Flake, this is a stronger tobacco with less florality and more hay-like and grassy Virginias and of course it has Perique whereas BCF does not.

target="_blank"