Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake

(3.11)
Gawith Hoggarths only VaPer (Virginia & perique) flake and has the added twist of a chocolaty topping. The perique is used sparingly to give a light figgy taste, but none of the punchy twang found at higher levels. The light chocolate topping brings out a nutty sweetness from the Virginias and combines for a mellow and flavoursome smoke. Medium bodied and a great introduction to perique tobaccos.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.11 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 37 Reviews
Sep 02, 2015 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
The lightly floral Virginias offer a fair amount of tart and tangy citrus, grass, some tangy dark fruit, wood, bread, vegetation and earth as the lead components. The earthy, woody perique is always noticeable: very spicy with raisins, figs and dates. The chocolate is mild, and more obvious to me once I got through the first quarter of the bowl. The Lakeland topping is a shade floral with a soap note, and while it doesn’t upstage the tobacco flavor, it’s always present. The tonquin is mild and sweet. The whisky is a very minor addition, not always to be found, and I doubt I'd notice it if I didn't know it was there. The toppings moderately sublimate the tobaccos, but not enough to lose their intrinsic aspects. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a rung past the center of mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh. Has a few rough edges. May need a slight dry time, depending on your preference. The flakes easily break apart. Burns clean, cool and a little slow with a mostly consistent, deeply rich flavor. Requires some relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a lightly lingering, pleasant after taste, and room note. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable during your smoking day.

-JimInks
Aug 06, 2005 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
I note that many of the reviewers of this blend compare Louisian Flake to Bob's Chocolate Flake. Admittedly, it has been a year or so since I smoked BCF, but I sure don't remember it tasting much like LF.

I found Louisiana Flake neatly tucked in a pouch as a sample with a recent tobacco order from one of my favorite etailers. The flake was much drier than most G&H tobaccos I have tried, and it rubbed out easily. It is not a very dark combination and the flavor was on the lighter side as well. A little of that "Lakeland perfume" was present, but not unpleasantly so.

Quite ordinary in comparison to many other G&H offerings I have tried. You will taste both the Virginia and the Perique, so if you gravitate toward that combination, you may appreciate this blend.

Update 4-09:

A friend recently gifted me some 10 year old Louisiana Flake. It was darker in color and richer in overall flavor (and, certainly more mellow), than the fresh batch I smoked. The Perique element was almost non-existant. The nicotine content seemed higher.
Feb 08, 2014 Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
When I first smelled Louisiana Flake in the bag, I could smell the chocolate that others have noted. My first go with Louisiana Flake was that it burned a little hot, but it once got the right cadence, things settled down. I like to fully rub out LF rather than folding and stuffing it. LF starts out with a medium amount of flavor than moves to full. The flavor offered a floral taste and I was unable to detect any chocolate. As the smoke goes on, the floral disappears and I am left with a fruity and peppery spiciness from the Perique that isn’t overwhelming. LF builds in strength and by bowl’s end is a little stronger than I prefer. While not a top choice for me, I would recommend giving it a try.
Apr 24, 2013 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Just near the end of an ounce of this one and I really feel like I've got my money's worth with this, properly been through the mill with it, but has it been worth it?

The packet aroma has something of both chocolate and cheap and not particularly pleasant bread, wasn't quite sure what to make of that one when I first opened it but I decided to get stuck in anyway, it wasn't overwhelmingly off-putting. Rubbing out, packing and lighting were immensely easy, especially given that it's a flake. My first couple of smokes where in a corncob legend and was particularly unimpressed by it, finding it rough and lacking in flavour. I then moved over to a briar I had sweetened with calvados after it had developed a bitter taste, once again I found it rough and bland. Now don't go thinking it was the pipe this time because I followed it up in that same briar with some Orlik Bull's Eye which proved rather palatable, so pipe salvaged if not the tobacco. Finally, I moved it onto another briar with a good cake on it. The first two or three smokes were only marginally better but on the fourth a hint of flavour managed to sneak in, something a little chocolately perhaps with a hint of fruit. After a few more smokes and nearing the bottom of the packet, I have started to warm to this one as the flavours have begun to strengthen, they seem to nicely dally between chocolate and a lemon like fruitiness which keeps it interesting. It's still a little rough but nothing a good drink to hand, say tea or water, won't solve.

So was it worth it? On the whole, yes. I am glad I stuck with it and have had a good journey sampling it. I think three stars is fair at this point in time but I do plan on investing in a couple of ounces sometime in the future to get to grips with it a little better.
Dec 16, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I approached this flake with positive expectations; but, having tried it, I won't be getting more.

It needed a full day of drying time to be smokable: a bad start. Handling the flake left my fingers coated with a fine dust, neither here nor there, but that's similar to the mouth-feel. I expect a Virginia-Perique combination to have clarity of taste, zest, sweetness and spice. This was to my palate just muddled and unexceptional.

Too bad

...And a year later, everything I felt was lacking with the fresh flake was present, in spades. The jar-note after a year of aging was mouth-watering, and the experience only got better.

I will be buying more to set aside for awhile.
Pipe Used: Falcons and various briars
Age When Smoked: More than a year
Oct 04, 2009 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
Too much cocoa for me. I can taste that soapy "lakeland" essence as well. I liked it, but would like it more if there were a little less of these two things. Some people like chocolate with hot peppers; the sweet and the heat supposedly complement each other. But Perique and chocolate? Perique's unique overtones are better enjoyed with unflavored Virginia, in my opinion. This said, I must admit I kind of like it; when the pipe starts to open up it has a nice rich taste I enjoyed immensely, and it did not overwhelm with heavy puffing. I'm just not cuckoo for those cocoa puffs.

1-16-10 Revisited this tobacco after a long hiatus. I still get a sense of chocolate from it, but am no longer convinced that it has chocolate in it. I like this smoke better in the second half of the bowl; this time I let the pipe go out while I roamed Wal-Mart for a new tobacco-jar and some beer (new Samuel Adams Noble Pils-try it: it's the best I've ever had of their beers!), and the difference this made was quite palpable. Maybe I'll try that DGT thing. So I guess the jist is, I would keep this tobacco around if I had someone to smoke the first half of the bowl for me, or some kind of smoking machine. I have about three loads left, so this unusual flake still has three more chances to convince me. Even though I may seem wishy-washy about it, this is still at least three-star quality weed, and is obviously four-star for some.
Mar 26, 2018 Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
I'm just not sure!! I guess I would say earthy and smokey, not sweet at all but the cocoa is evident. When you rub this blend out and load it up it will smoke to the bottom of the bowl without a single relight, no hint of tongue bite, but a bit of an aftertaste that is not unpleasant but smokey. Maybe heavy? I like it okay but it certainly is not what I expect in a VA/Per (sweet and spicy).
Pipe Used: Savinelli and Ascorti
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Jan 24, 2018 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
GH&C Louisiana Flake is a pleasant enough tobacco but, IMO, a little light on flavor. The flakes are quite dark and smell strongly of chocolate. As delivered, they are moist and benefit greatly from an hour or so of airing out. However, even smoked without drying, they light easily and don't require many relights. The strength is a bit on the high side but nothing to worry about if smoked with a regular cadence. It burns to a dark grey ash, leaving no moisture in the bowl.

The Virginias lend both grassiness and dark notes, plus a touch of sweetness. Quite nice. The perique balances the Virginias, beginning spicy but quickly settling down to fig and raisin flavors. The chocolate topping is always present but in no way overpowers the taste of the tobacco. I detected the famous Lakeland essence but only a bit. I liked it.

All in all, while I enjoyed Louisiana Flake, I prefer GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake, of which it reminds me.
Pipe Used: Barling African Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Age When Smoked: Recently purchased.
Sep 06, 2017 Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant
High quality tobacco like all Gawith and Hoggarth. The virginias are similar to many of the other Lakeland blends from this company. Perique is for sure second fiddle in this blend only making itself known in the mouthfeel. Yes there is a Lakeland essence which tastes and smells like roses to me. Very light and sweet and more noticeable on retrohale. An excellent starter Lakeland or all day smoke in the hot months.
Pipe Used: Cob, briar, meer
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Unknown
Feb 17, 2022 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE (a.k.a. Louisiana Flake): Without any doubt it is a superior tobacco compared to a lot of junk you can find around. However, I will not give it four stars, but three and now I’m going to explain why (my review refers to the 50 grams tin). Excellent Virginia (really pleasant), perfect Perique, but Louisiana Flake is also a flavored mixture. The Lakeland flavoring is extremely mild but noticeable and it is on the side of the casing. Nothing to say, it is perfect, it integrates completely. Not so for the chocolate topping which seems to me a jarring note (for this reason only 3 stars). Obviously, it’s a matter of taste and this is only my personal opinion. Anyway, a very good tobacco with a medium strength (I confirm). Despite being a Virginia based blend, the Perique is well present and you can taste it from the beginning to the end of the bowl. Justly not overwhelming but in the right proportion (a spice must be felt, it must not cover). So, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and three stars.
Feb 03, 2020 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
DK's review hits the right notes for this blend. I'll add a few thoughts of my own here.

Louisiana Flake has a heady chocolate nose when fresh, but this subsides with some reposing. I get a bit of chocolate essence on lightup, but it's largely a whiff, rather than an underlying taste. I also much prefer this very dry; it nips me otherwise.

Taste is on the 'oaty' end of the virginia spectrum, and the perique is very light. If I was tasting this blind, I'm not sure I'd know there was any perique present, but that could be a good thing for those who prefer a gentle hand with the stuff.

Medium in terms of strength, and decent nicotine. I prefer this in cooler weather, as it's a bit flat for warmer temps. Still, very pleasant. Doesn't do anything extraordinary, but I like the G&H flavour profile generally, and am slowly working through a big jar that is about 4 years along.

Recommended if you like Empire virginias and a trace of perique, and chocolate isn't a turn-off. Dry it well.
Age When Smoked: 2016ish.
Dec 18, 2019 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
It's been a while since i tried a vi/per so my next choise was this flake.once the tin opens a nice sour smell comes out.a deeper smell reveals some sweet citruses smell.the mostly brown and dark brown flakes are in proper moisture either to fold as they are or to rub wich a prefer for easier lighting with fewer relights.while burning you realize that perique has the lead.lots of figs,dried fruits,raisins,plums and spices are there from the beginning till the end.virginias are mostly citrusy with grass and some earth notes.there is a light lakeland style topping with some cocoa hints and soapy notes.generally the flavours combine very well giving a pleasant and naturall taste.burns cool at medium speed to perfect ash with some moisture left at the end of the bowl and more at the filter.room note is bareable with a nice sweet and sour aftertaste and no tongue bite.nicotine level is almost medium.an all day blend.in conclusion i liked a lot this blend and i recommend it specially for those who like perique in lakeland style.recommended.
Nov 02, 2016 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Louisiana Flake is making a nice addition to my VaPer rotation. The Perique is very present with spice, pepper, and fruit. The bright Virginia is very smooth and smokes cool. The floral chocolate topping compliments the blend and I think pairs with Perique much better than Latakia. I would recommend this blend as a change of pace for VaPer aficionados.
Oct 23, 2016 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
Louisiana Flake is the perfect blend for those who want to start with flakes (easy to pack and smoke, in this case), VA-PE and also Kendal scent (with the same (although lighter) soapy note used in Ennerdale. Excellent for a morning smoke. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.
PurchasedFrom: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)
Sep 06, 2016 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I love this flake but I sort of admit its not in the classic category of Kendall Flake or Coniston Cut Plug or Boson Cut Plug. its not as strong, firstly. The nic hit is a tad over medium so its hardly a mild blend. But its not excessively strong. The taste is one dimensional, with cocoa and Perique dominating. If you like that cocoa taste with a little spice then youre going to love this. I find that I reach for it more often than I might expect. Its great stuff, if you like GH flakes. And I do. But i cant quite give the full four stars. Call it 3 and a half.
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Jan 09, 2016 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
Decent smoke. You get the sweetness of the Virginias with a slight twang of perique. Could do with slightly more perique. There is a hint of Lakeland essence, not as much as Bob's chocolate flake but it is there, if that puts you off. I am a Lakeland fan so for me the more the merrier. Surprisingly little drying time required and was easy to rub out. Burned cleanly and evenly in the bowl.
Pipe Used: Peterson bent
PurchasedFrom: GQTobaccos.com
Oct 07, 2012 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Testing with my meer pipe.

This is my first VA/PER tobacco and I have to say if the other VA/PER blends I bought are half this good, then VA/PER has to be (so far) my favourite tobacco blends for pipe smoking.

Some hints of Bob's choc flake, however the perique gives it such a boost in taste and the good old vitamin N here is felt much more I dare say.

I can't feel bean or whiskey (maybe because I am drinking white wine while smoking), but I can definitely feel a very mild cocoa flavour, akin to bob's choc flake.

I will update if I feel anything different with my other briar pipes. Recommended!

---------

Update:

Seriously, anything tastes better in a briar pipe. I am not sure if it's because I have a small bowl meerschaum, but the briar really mellows and ages a tobacco.
May 13, 2012 Medium Mild Medium Tolerable
Stout but surprisingly smooth good flavoured tobacco. The perique adds a good sprinkling of pepper, but it's nicely seated in the mix, (I found it a bit like a good curry). Not particularly sweet but a good bran/cereal taste, turned a little sour mid- bowl but mellowed towards the end. Rubbed and packed, it stayed well lit, and had moderate nicotine. Definitely one to revisit.
Mar 17, 2012 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
I think GH&Co have justifiably taken the number one slot as my favourite blender. I like the fact that they are from the UK and I like that they have history and tradition behind them. But most of all I like the quality of their unique tobaccos!

Louisiana Flake is not what I was expecting - it's better. My sample has quite a bit of soapiness. Perhaps it got an extra dose of whatever magic sauce the blender uses to create this effect, but that is no bad thing as far as I am concerned. The chocolate casing is subtley present throughout and the perique increases in prominence down the bowl until it seems to be matching the lakeland soap for dominance of the blend. This probably sounds like an awful mess. In fact, everything works in perfect harmony, creating a flavour that is certainly not typical VA/Per, but which is smooth, fullsome and very tasty (provided you like lakeland soap).

What is most surprising is the vitamin N content. For some reason this one seems to punch above its weight for me. Certainly strong enough to be an evening smoke and an indulgent treat if enjoyed during the day.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that I prefer most GH&Co flakes at least partially rubbed out, but this one seems to work just fine with a good old fold, twist n' stuff.

If you are a VA/Per fan who doesn't like Lakeland flavours then this isn't going to ring your bell, but if you are a devotee of GH&Co then this one deserves to be near the top of your 'to try' list.
Aug 05, 2011 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
My wife and I recently took a trip to northern England from the west Highlands of Scotland where we currently live. On this trip I picked up 6 15-gram samples of G&H tobaccos, 2 in Glasgow and 4 in Carlisle. These samples were enough to get me 5 or 6 bowls of each, enough for a rough review. I will smoke them in order of how much drying they need (they were all very wet for my preference). Luckily, this will also allow me to work my way up from to the nicotene powerhouses, because they were also the most moist.

Louisianna flake is mostly a light brown to yellow color, with dark, reddish brown to black streaks and clumps. When I first smelled the aroma in the tin, my first thought was: chocolate! That was by far the dominant aroma. After some drying, I smoked a few bowls. This has a medium nicotene content, just perfect in my book. The first few puffs give you a distinct lakeland floral taste and aroma, but this soon recedes leaving a nice sweet rounded and earthy flavor. I dried it out some more, and then the chocolate flavor came to the fore. This flavoring is never overbearing and compliments the tobaccos.

This is marginally better for my taste than the other G&H flakes I have tried so far. It has more flavor and a tad more nicotene than Best Brown #2, and a better flavor than Rum Flake. Nothing really outstanding, but a great anytime smoke that is easy to work with. Definitely worth a try.

target="_blank"