Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake

(3.11)
Gawith Hoggarths only VaPer (Virginia & perique) flake and has the added twist of a chocolaty topping. The perique is used sparingly to give a light figgy taste, but none of the punchy twang found at higher levels. The light chocolate topping brings out a nutty sweetness from the Virginias and combines for a mellow and flavoursome smoke. Medium bodied and a great introduction to perique tobaccos.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.11 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 37 Reviews
Feb 03, 2020 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
DK's review hits the right notes for this blend. I'll add a few thoughts of my own here.

Louisiana Flake has a heady chocolate nose when fresh, but this subsides with some reposing. I get a bit of chocolate essence on lightup, but it's largely a whiff, rather than an underlying taste. I also much prefer this very dry; it nips me otherwise.

Taste is on the 'oaty' end of the virginia spectrum, and the perique is very light. If I was tasting this blind, I'm not sure I'd know there was any perique present, but that could be a good thing for those who prefer a gentle hand with the stuff.

Medium in terms of strength, and decent nicotine. I prefer this in cooler weather, as it's a bit flat for warmer temps. Still, very pleasant. Doesn't do anything extraordinary, but I like the G&H flavour profile generally, and am slowly working through a big jar that is about 4 years along.

Recommended if you like Empire virginias and a trace of perique, and chocolate isn't a turn-off. Dry it well.
Age When Smoked: 2016ish.
Dec 18, 2019 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
It's been a while since i tried a vi/per so my next choise was this flake.once the tin opens a nice sour smell comes out.a deeper smell reveals some sweet citruses smell.the mostly brown and dark brown flakes are in proper moisture either to fold as they are or to rub wich a prefer for easier lighting with fewer relights.while burning you realize that perique has the lead.lots of figs,dried fruits,raisins,plums and spices are there from the beginning till the end.virginias are mostly citrusy with grass and some earth notes.there is a light lakeland style topping with some cocoa hints and soapy notes.generally the flavours combine very well giving a pleasant and naturall taste.burns cool at medium speed to perfect ash with some moisture left at the end of the bowl and more at the filter.room note is bareable with a nice sweet and sour aftertaste and no tongue bite.nicotine level is almost medium.an all day blend.in conclusion i liked a lot this blend and i recommend it specially for those who like perique in lakeland style.recommended.
Nov 02, 2016 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Louisiana Flake is making a nice addition to my VaPer rotation. The Perique is very present with spice, pepper, and fruit. The bright Virginia is very smooth and smokes cool. The floral chocolate topping compliments the blend and I think pairs with Perique much better than Latakia. I would recommend this blend as a change of pace for VaPer aficionados.
Oct 23, 2016 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
Louisiana Flake is the perfect blend for those who want to start with flakes (easy to pack and smoke, in this case), VA-PE and also Kendal scent (with the same (although lighter) soapy note used in Ennerdale. Excellent for a morning smoke. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.
PurchasedFrom: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)
Sep 06, 2016 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I love this flake but I sort of admit its not in the classic category of Kendall Flake or Coniston Cut Plug or Boson Cut Plug. its not as strong, firstly. The nic hit is a tad over medium so its hardly a mild blend. But its not excessively strong. The taste is one dimensional, with cocoa and Perique dominating. If you like that cocoa taste with a little spice then youre going to love this. I find that I reach for it more often than I might expect. Its great stuff, if you like GH flakes. And I do. But i cant quite give the full four stars. Call it 3 and a half.
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Jan 09, 2016 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
Decent smoke. You get the sweetness of the Virginias with a slight twang of perique. Could do with slightly more perique. There is a hint of Lakeland essence, not as much as Bob's chocolate flake but it is there, if that puts you off. I am a Lakeland fan so for me the more the merrier. Surprisingly little drying time required and was easy to rub out. Burned cleanly and evenly in the bowl.
Pipe Used: Peterson bent
PurchasedFrom: GQTobaccos.com
Oct 07, 2012 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Testing with my meer pipe.

This is my first VA/PER tobacco and I have to say if the other VA/PER blends I bought are half this good, then VA/PER has to be (so far) my favourite tobacco blends for pipe smoking.

Some hints of Bob's choc flake, however the perique gives it such a boost in taste and the good old vitamin N here is felt much more I dare say.

I can't feel bean or whiskey (maybe because I am drinking white wine while smoking), but I can definitely feel a very mild cocoa flavour, akin to bob's choc flake.

I will update if I feel anything different with my other briar pipes. Recommended!

---------

Update:

Seriously, anything tastes better in a briar pipe. I am not sure if it's because I have a small bowl meerschaum, but the briar really mellows and ages a tobacco.
May 13, 2012 Medium Mild Medium Tolerable
Stout but surprisingly smooth good flavoured tobacco. The perique adds a good sprinkling of pepper, but it's nicely seated in the mix, (I found it a bit like a good curry). Not particularly sweet but a good bran/cereal taste, turned a little sour mid- bowl but mellowed towards the end. Rubbed and packed, it stayed well lit, and had moderate nicotine. Definitely one to revisit.
Mar 17, 2012 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
I think GH&Co have justifiably taken the number one slot as my favourite blender. I like the fact that they are from the UK and I like that they have history and tradition behind them. But most of all I like the quality of their unique tobaccos!

Louisiana Flake is not what I was expecting - it's better. My sample has quite a bit of soapiness. Perhaps it got an extra dose of whatever magic sauce the blender uses to create this effect, but that is no bad thing as far as I am concerned. The chocolate casing is subtley present throughout and the perique increases in prominence down the bowl until it seems to be matching the lakeland soap for dominance of the blend. This probably sounds like an awful mess. In fact, everything works in perfect harmony, creating a flavour that is certainly not typical VA/Per, but which is smooth, fullsome and very tasty (provided you like lakeland soap).

What is most surprising is the vitamin N content. For some reason this one seems to punch above its weight for me. Certainly strong enough to be an evening smoke and an indulgent treat if enjoyed during the day.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that I prefer most GH&Co flakes at least partially rubbed out, but this one seems to work just fine with a good old fold, twist n' stuff.

If you are a VA/Per fan who doesn't like Lakeland flavours then this isn't going to ring your bell, but if you are a devotee of GH&Co then this one deserves to be near the top of your 'to try' list.
Aug 05, 2011 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
My wife and I recently took a trip to northern England from the west Highlands of Scotland where we currently live. On this trip I picked up 6 15-gram samples of G&H tobaccos, 2 in Glasgow and 4 in Carlisle. These samples were enough to get me 5 or 6 bowls of each, enough for a rough review. I will smoke them in order of how much drying they need (they were all very wet for my preference). Luckily, this will also allow me to work my way up from to the nicotene powerhouses, because they were also the most moist.

Louisianna flake is mostly a light brown to yellow color, with dark, reddish brown to black streaks and clumps. When I first smelled the aroma in the tin, my first thought was: chocolate! That was by far the dominant aroma. After some drying, I smoked a few bowls. This has a medium nicotene content, just perfect in my book. The first few puffs give you a distinct lakeland floral taste and aroma, but this soon recedes leaving a nice sweet rounded and earthy flavor. I dried it out some more, and then the chocolate flavor came to the fore. This flavoring is never overbearing and compliments the tobaccos.

This is marginally better for my taste than the other G&H flakes I have tried so far. It has more flavor and a tad more nicotene than Best Brown #2, and a better flavor than Rum Flake. Nothing really outstanding, but a great anytime smoke that is easy to work with. Definitely worth a try.

target="_blank"