This unique blend is a mixture of bright Virginia, sweet red Virginia, and two cuts of perique.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Strength
Taste
2.9

The tangy sweet red Virginia short ribbon is complemented by the citrusy sweet bright flue cured Virginia thin flake. The red Va. is the more obvious of the two Virginias. The perique is both granulated and ribbon cut, offering some sweetness with bursts of pepper, and is 25% of the blend. Burns well with few relights; smooth and dry with no dottle, and no discernible topping. A pleasing all day mild to medium VaPer for those who want some spice during their smoking day. It's also tinned in the MacBaren style.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (84)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

...a bit different kind of VaPer...really quite a fine tobacco I think...

There are only a few Sutliff tobaccos that I enjoy and this one certainly got my attention. This is not "dark & brooding" like other VaPers, yet maintains its character from first light to finish.

The taste is light and "airy" providing a pure tobacco taste along with the two cuts of Perique playing back and forth nicely.

3 stars for the time being, but will update my assessment as I smoke a few more tins.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: group 4 size and larger

Age When Smoked: a few months

Purchased From: Pipes&CIgars

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Wow. This company is coming on strong.

Very good VaPer, embarrasses some competition who charge a much higher price point in terms of both the presentation, the price, and most of all, the quality.

Tangy, sour and grassy VA's with spicy and strong perique, this lit and burned very well to a fine ash.

Very impressed, this goes into the summer short term rotation right away.

Come on Sutliff, keep powering, there is a huge community cheering you on.

Pipe Used: XL Billiard Briar

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (147)

All I can say it's a pleasant but spicy light virginia with a nice dose of perique. Lighter virginia than Pease but better quality than DR. Much better than I thought this blender could produce. Not bad at all for its type. You must like perique though to favor this one.

Pipe Used: dunhill

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Telegraph Hill (Fog City Selection); D&R Rimboche SJ.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This one just didn't do much for me. I found it very light all around. Light on the perique and very mild Virginias that brought a little sweetness, but this one left that kind of cardboard taste that is a turn off for me. There are some of my forum friends that like this blend a lot. Several of which have given their opinions above and below. In a world filled with several notable vapers, I think this one fails to leave a mark.

Not for me, but out of respect for those who like it and the fact that there is nothing repulsive about it, two stars.

Blind test #2 and based on about 1.25 ounces. Mixed cuts reminded me of C&D but this didn't taste like one of theirs. Kind of a grass-like sour oaty and peaty bag aroma that was interesting. I never came close to guessing this blend or its blender.

In the pipe this showed itself to be a tasty if kind of shallow VaPer and my notes wondered if there were any OTC VaPers in the market. The Virginias were kind of non-descript and the perique was spicy, while on various occasions would provide this burst of pepper that I enjoyed. It seemed to have a pretty good dose of perique and it wasn't until I found out what it was that I learned that it had "two cuts". I'm not quite sure what that does, but ok. I would never have guessed this as Sutliff because their signature chemical synthetic flavors that I and many other smokers object to were completely absent. And that's a good thing! This tasted thin of body but rich of flavor and if you just like a good tasting VaPer, add a star to my rating. 2 stars often doesn't mean "good" but this one was - I'd actually go 2.5 on this. In fact, I should probably upgrade to 3 stars. I'm no expert on Sutliff blends but I have smoked a good number of them and this strikes me as the best thing they've ever done as far as their own recipes go. Eventually my sense of that accomplishment will outweigh my own tastes and I'll probably award a 3rd star. :) Great for a beginning VaPer smoker or someone who wants a good tasting smoke that won't intrude on his thoughts. I won't buy any but I enjoyed my time with it.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (58)

A nice VaPer, one that could be an all day blend and one that would do well with age.

It's a quality leaf that burns nicely and is at an ideal moisture level. Burns a bit fast, so you have to sip on it a bit more to keep the heat down.

Flavor wise for me it starts off with the more hay/grass flavors from the VAs with the Perique in the background not so noticeable. The second half of the bowl the sweet citrus and fruity VA flavors come out and a bit of the plum and pepper from the Perique come out as well.

It's not an outstanding complex VaPer, but it is a very enjoyable smoke.

If you like VaPers give this one a try!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Miele 677KS

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (66)

A very solid VaPer. The tin note has a very strong scent of vinegar and tobacco. One of the best things about it is that this stuff comes ready to smoke right out of the tin. That's in regard to flavor and moisture.

The bright and red VAs make for a wonderful swirl of tangy and sweet. As if there were a mixture Granny Smith and Fuji apples. The perique comes in and out but it is always pleasant. I would imagine the different cuts are the reason for this. The retrohalte on this is nice and smooth with hints of spice and cedar.

I've smoked this in a variety of different sized pipes from a Custombilt Pot to a Savinelli Mark Twain (very small tapered dublin around a group 2 size). When smoking this in a large chambered pipe the VAs really stand out and the smoke is sweeter. In a smaller bowled pipe the sweetness is toned down and the Perique really shines.

I enjoyed this immensly fresh out of the tin, but I can only imagine what 3-5 years of age would do to this #drool. Well done Carl!

Pipe Used: cobs, briars, mortas and meers

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Elizabethan Mixture (1849 has a broader range of low to high notes).