Mac Baren Vanilla Cream is a colorful blend mixed with cut plugs. Manufactured from specially selected and aged Virginia and mild black Cavendish tobaccos. Then blended with an exceptional Vanilla Flavour. This selection creates an outstanding blend with superior flavor, unique aroma and distinctive taste experience.

Notes: Introduced in 1999.

BrandMac Baren
Strength
Taste

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

I found this one to be pleasant enough but with a slight tendency to burn hot. Not surprising, given the the presence of vanilla; in fact, it's remarkable that this doesn't smoke even hotter.

I favor non-aromatics, but I do like to keep one aromatic open at all times (versus 5 non-aromatics). Given some of the glowing reviews for this, I thought it might work for me. It didn't, really. But it might be more appealing if you love aromatics and are willing to patiently attend to the temperature in the bowl (and on your tongue).

On a side note, I tried a couple of bowlfuls of Dunhill's A21000 (a shag-cut vanilla aromatic) around the same time I was sampling this. Frankly, the A21000 yielded a richer, more appealing flavor, even though it burned even hotter. I guess there's always some kind of a trade-off when it comes to aromatics.(g)

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Vanilla Cream Loose Cut . This is quite delightful , the unlit mix has a splendid sweet Vanilla essence to it which is very enticing and it is of a splendid moistness as well . Due to the good moistness it is a real doddle to get lit , burns even and the taste is simply amazing . You get a real eminent Vanilla Cream flavour that is not at all overpowering like some aromatics can be but very subtle and gentle on your pallet . If it is strained too hard it can bite but if smoked easily it is a real treat . The tobacco flavour is a good balance of taste and you can detect both the Sweet Black Cavendish and Virginia equally . Nicotine level is good and it can be inhaled with ease . If you retro-hale the Vanilla Cream taste is embellished . The room note is also sweet like the unlit aroma . The biggest low point with this one is when it is finished !

Pipe Used: Comoys Elegance

Purchased From: Smoke King

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake.

IndianPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IndianPiper (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

In my first few attempts I was unsuccessful in getting to really understand and enjoy this tobacco. That could be because I am still a beginner. So I thought I will give it one last try and bought a tin. I don't know if it was my packing or the pipe or th fact that tin might have been aged a bit but I really got a burst of flavor without the dreaded MacBITE. Initially it was hard to keep this lit but after quarter of a bowl later and loosening the tobacco a bit in the bowl (packed according to 3 step method), I got the creaminess and the vanilla-fruity flavor. But the smoke was still a bit hot and wet. Halfway down the bowl and after resting the pipe for a few minutes I got the sweet and cool smoke that I was looking for. It lasted all the way till the end of the bowl. After trying a lot of other aros my search is finally over. The high quality of the baccy and the non-chemical casing/flavor are the key features of this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: Woodlands fine cigars and Briar Shoppe Houston

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (126)

"...an outstanding blend with superior flavor, unique aroma and distinctive taste experience." per the tin. I would describe this as a tasty, well-balanced, vanilla flavored blend, with a base of good Virginia tobaccos. No bite, clean burning. As you progress through a bowl, the vanilla yields a bit to the very good VAs. Highly recommended for vanilla aromatic fans who can also enjoy a very good VA delivery.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: Tin dated SEPT 2013

Purchased From: CI

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (25)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I didn't smoke a all pouch because i've been given a sample by a friend. So it's not a review of a long time smoke. The taste and smel are very good. The room note has been very appreciated. The only negative point is the dryness of the mouth by the end of the bowl, wich is normal for an aromatic tobacco. I recommend this tobacco for those who are searching a not strong and nice taste tobacco. Not necessarily for beginners.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Formula 1601

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff - Vanilla Cavendish.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A creamy vanilla smoke that burns well and isn't so sweet that it overpowers the smoker. I get a little honey and very light fruit taste that adds a very mild balance to the mix. It has some black cavendish as you would expect a vanilla flavored tobacco to have. The Virginias act as a base to tame both the BC and the top note, not to add their normal characteristics. It's a mild all day smoke with not much complexity as by intentional design. I find it more palatable than stronger vanilla flavored blends. People will like to be around you when you smoke it, so expect to be social when you're out and about in public.

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)

This is a better than average, reasonably priced aromatic. It's mild, bite free, smokes cool and reasonably dry, for an aromatic.

However, it just doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. Not much tobacco flavor, not a whole lot of vanilla, either. It's not bad, it's just not that good, so I won't be buying more. If what you're looking for is a very mild, bite free vanilla blend that is a good step up from most goopy bulk blends, this is probably worth a try. While I've smoked much worse in this category, I've experienced better, too.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I have never been an aromatic smoker. Nor I am a fan of english mixtures, nowadays. Who can truly say that Nightcap or 965, and Black Mallory or Accountant's, are still the marvellous mixtures of the 80's... I have recently experienced that I like some vanilla topping, through the smoke of Dan's TOI Galway, then Borkum Riff's Admiral Flake and then SG's Perfection, the latter being and a scented english mix. Then I gave a try to Mc'B's VCLC, and this is an OTC tobacco, which I usually tend to avoid. The pouch gently smells vanilla, but this partially reflects to the aroma of the smoke, and even less to the flavour. It's the same old story of the aromatics... VCLC is quite a bland smoke, the body empty, it touches both the tongue and the palate even smoking slowly (but the pouch was quite dry) After the fifth bowl I got bored and decided to experiment ... adding 1/3 of Latakia (Latakia Zypern by Torben Dansk on this occasion), put in jar and let sleep a couple of days, no humidor. The result is not bad at all! A mild, sweet and smokey poor parent of Perfection (Turkish-less of course). One star for VCLC itself, three for this easy vanilla scented english mix!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Several reviews already give enough information to the potential buyer to enable an intelligent choice. Basically, this is a sweet aromatic. If your preferences run the range from balkans to latakia enhanced balkans, you shouldn't even be reading this.

I suppose MB knows what it is spraying on this tobacco, but I take issue with the name. When I think vanilla, I think Captain Black or anything in 85% of the "custom blended" jars of Lane/Consolidated bulks at a Tinder Box. Just as Erinmore Flake's topping isn't pineapple, Vanilla Creme's topping just doesn't taste like vanilla to me. It's fruitier than a drag race in San Francisco during gay pride week! Vanilla may also be there, but only in a supporting role. This is very much more like Amphora or Skandanavik Red with an extra side of essences. Vanilla? No. I just don't taste it.

Do I dislike it? Not at all. There is a time for this, just not very often. I prefer Amphora; this one just goes over the top. I often cut it with ho-hum virginias like Gawith's BBF to dilute.

It isn't a generic black cavendish; it is a quality Virginia blend. It is definitely dessert. If you think you'll like it, you probably will, but dedicate a pipe to it.

Update 3/11: Ok, open it and come back in half a decade or so. Unlike virtually all other aromatics I ever met, time actually improved it, possibly by evaporating off the excess topping. At this point, it's at least a three star. I'm leaving it as a two because nobody will want to bother. But really: it's really really good now. It's finally vanilla and Virginia.

MR.Carter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MR.Carter (1)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This in my opinion is a very superior blend of tobaccos with a first rate vanilla flavoring that does not have in any way a artificial or chemical taste. upon opening the tin you are greeted with a somewhat sugary vanilla fragrance. the tobacco in appearance is a very nice golden Virginia with square plug cuts of press Virginia and a splattering of Black Cavendish. I have realized that after trying several different aromatic blends that to create a successful one you must start with high quality tobacco this blend in my opinion does contain this. the smoke is of a medium density not too thick not too thin the vanilla flavor is first rate and is not elusive as with some McClelland aromatic blends I have come across. It is as similar to anything I have yet encountered to as eating something that is flavored with true vanilla essence. This blend though having a high quantity of Virginia does have very little to no bite. I highly recommend this blend to anyone who is partial to very high quality aromatic or is a lover of true vanilla flavor.

Pipe Used: Brigham Voyager straight Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars.com

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

When reading any review about aros, keep in mind most people either like them or dislike them. As primarily a non-aro smoker, but a person that tries to keep an open mind, I find this product remarkable. This is the product that did what Captain Black Regular failed to do: convert me into a part-time aromatic smoker. First glance at the tobacco as you open the pouch tells you this stuff is for real. I've noticed many aro smokers fill the pipe right out of the pouch with no dry time, but rarely do I put overly moist tobacco in my pipe, and if I do I usually regret having done it. So with 10 minutes dry time this easy to work with tobacco lights easily and smokes well for an aro. Both the flavor of the tobacco and the casing come through very balanced. If it tends to burn too hot for you, just slow down the pace, enjoy the smoking experience and allow for plenty of relights. Although I won't be smoking this product as regularly as my non-aro favorites, it has definitely earned a place in my "go to" line up for whenever I'm in the mood for ann aro.

mrchewson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrchewson (4)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of vanilla and Mac baren golden brown , so I thought I would try this, first off the smell when opening the pouch was amazing, possibly the best selling pipe tobacco in my opinion, I was really looking forward to lighting up a bowl, when I finally got a moment to try it that's when the disappointment set in, the smell is still there so great when you have people round, but the taste was to me not appealing at all, no real hint of vanilla and neither a tobacco taste either, it did have a tendency to bite and smoke hot. I managed half a pouch in the coming month but gave it away in the end, as it took away what pipe smoking is all about for me... Good taste and relaxation. This blend was not good for neither, but on a positive the unburned smell was a1

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Online

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Made in Demark by Mac Baren Tobacco 2013 Imported by Sutliff Tobacco Co.

Virginian Tobacco and the Modern Mac Baren Black Cavendish

Tin Notes: A mixture of textures, course cut ribbon, chopped black cav and even a little bit of broken flake may require further rubbing out if you use a small pipe. The Aroma is Nice The vanilla is not an over powering smell and you can still smell actual tobacco - so that is a good thing. Good Moisture content that allows you to smoke straight from the tin.

Smoking: The flavor profile is good and as with the tin note the vanilla is not overpowering in comparison to what may be found in other tobacco brand names. I did find that it is a little bitey and burns a little on the warm side. I then tried lamp drying the tobacco and while this blend did burn better and smoked cooler the loss of flavor left more an overall harshness. So i suggest smoking this straight out of the tin

I would say if you like Mac Baren No.1 Virginian and if you like a Vanilla flavor tobacco - then you will like this

My 5 star rating = 3 for me and 4 if you like vanilla

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn and briar

Purchased From: sutliff

Cicero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cicero (5)

This is a great aromatic. The vanilla flavoring is apparent, but not over powering. Burns well and is not goopy at all. Needs just about 10-20 min of dry time and then is ready to go. Can bite a bit, but hey it is Mac Baren. If you like OTC/Bulk goop piles, or steamy stuff like 1Q, this will be a different experience for you. This still has a tobacco flavor and the vanilla casing is their to add to the tobacco flavor, not over shadow it.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have no idea how old this sample is but it was sealed in a Mac Barens factory pouch. Any how it starts out sweet with a nice aroma, by the mid point it really develops a nice flavor w/out the MB bite you hear so much about. Smokes dry and clean with very little moisture. The flavor lightens up at the bottom of the bowl but still holds it's richness from the VA to the end. Anyone looking for a quality aromatic VA (the casing is light) or is just a VA fan needs to give this a shot! Smokes best in a larger bowl!

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

MacBaren tobaccos seem to have a very charateristic sugar essence that appears in the blends that I have tried by them. It is very sweet. This blends sweetness is not what I would refer to as caramelized but, rather like that of refined cane sugar. The vanilla topping is high quality but not the least bit overpowering. It smokes very well and cool when "nipped" slowly. Aromatic essences dissapear at around the 60% mark to completion. Good smoke but a bit to sweet for everyday enjoyment. It is one of the better aromatics that I have tried though.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've had a reasonable measure of success with other MacBaren blends and I wanted to turn to them for this aromatic offering.

I found the aroma in the tin to be very pleasant and what I hoped to be a harbinger of a good smoke. The tobacco was a little drier than I would have expected but not unusually so.

Although this blend is certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I found it a bit disappointing especially considering the sentiment of the previous reviews. Even though I am a "slow" smoker, it still burned hotter than I would like and had a mild bite.

The plus side is that the room note is very nice and I found a little more body in the tobacco flavoring than I generally do with most aromatics. I don't know if I would rush to get another tin of this or not, but all in all a satisfactory smoke.

edit I'm not sure why, but this stuff routinely makes my head swim. I didn't think the nicotine content would be that strong, but for me, I have to really pace myself with this stuff or I'll fall out of my chair.

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best Vanilla aromatic pipe tobacco ever created by mankind, it is wonderfully creamy and chocolaty, mild and consistent, with incredible aroma and an outstanding room note, very tasty and full bodied smoke, however a slow puffing is highly recommended since it may bite if smoked quickly.

MB Mixture, Va No1 and VC are my favorite blends.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Generally indifferent, but at least something to write home about.

This is strange. I smell the cream!!! It is not like other vanilla flavoured stuff. At least is has some personality and presense. My wife likes vanilla blends - she is not overly enthusiastic about this one.

If you like intense aromatics then you might enjoy this. I have not made up mind as to whether I will buy another pouch.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is an interesting blend, but only so far, to me. I bought a tin of this for the rare occasions when I feel like an aromatic, yet long for something of higher quality than Middleton's Cherry. I do like black cav in some lighter blends, and Mac Baren usually does a nice job on their Virginia's. I was hoping that this would be one offering from them that would be relatively free from tongue bite, but it bites me pretty well every time I revisit it. The casing on this is reasonably light, too. The vanilla room note is light at best, and as aromatics go, it just misses the mark on too many fronts for me to give it 3 stars. Still, there's obvious quality to the leaf used, and if you want a primarily VA/Black Cav blend that only offers whispers of flavoring, this might be great to you.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco looks very similar to MacBaren original mixture, only it has a fantastic vanilla aroma! You can really smell the vanilla while you are are smoking it also. However, it doesn't really taste like vanilla to me; it does have a sweet taste that is very pleasing....I just can't pinpoint the exact flavor. The tobacco does have some moisture in it, so you have to pack it lightly and keep the smoking cadence down or it will scorch your tongue. It burns pretty well and evenly/completely if packed lightly. This is a tasty tobacco with an excellent room note, but I will have to dock it one star for the potential to cause a 3-alarm tongue bite. Therefore, I would clasify it as 3-star tobacco.

12/2/2006.....update Just smoked a few more bowls and cannot get this tobacco to stop burning and gurgling. I will have to downgrade to 2-star.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I opened the tin and the smell was a good sign, subtle but very good. The room aroma was quite pleasant for all in the area. The taste was good at first but soon I lost the flavor and was left with a rather dull blend. I could tell that it was good tobacco but as it had little flavor I soon lost interest. When I am trying a vanilla aromatic I compare them to Captain Black Royal and this just did not measure up.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

I tried this blend mainly because of the favorable review given by William Serad in "Trial by Fire". Mr. Serad often agrees with my tastes, but we parted ways on this one. As another reviewer mentioned, I didn't really think this tasted like vanilla. To me it was overly sweet and heavily cased. I prefer the flavor of something like Pipes and Pleasure's Black Treasure if I'm going to smoke a vanilla blend. It does have a pleasant room note and doesn't require excessive relights in spite of the casing. On the basis of those two attributes I'm giving it two stars.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I am going to fall into the "love it group". I usually tend to enjoy full Virginia blends with perique but every once in a while I like a good aromatic. This lit well and I found that I was able to actually taste the tobacco that went into this blend. I was just expecting to taste nothing but Vanilla flavoring from what I had heard! Dont get me wrong there is a definate vanilla flavor to this and the room note is wonderful. (my wife basically hates every tobacco I smoke and she said this one smelled "good") I have smoked quite a bit of this at home now, I think I will take it to work today and see what happens! I like this and would have to say at least give it a try, you might be surprised!

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I've had the pouch contents in a small 2 oz jar for about 5 months now. Now with just a few bowls left, I decided to review this blend. First of all, I must say I like MacBaren as a company. They have class and really characterize the pipe as a way of life (just see their website). I hope to get through a number of their blends over time. This is an honest to goodness aromatic blend. I have over a dozen blends in my rotation with both aromatics and english blends, and I have a place in my heart for both types. This blend is a satisfying, medium blend that smokes well, medium nicotine level, HPH 2.

Initially, the draw from the bowl is quite sweet distinct gentle sweetness surrounding the tongue, but adequately smokey with the virginia coming through. It is best after the first half of my medium Brigham bent bowl, as notes of sweet autumn woods come through-- a sure sign of a good virginia. I can find many distinct fruity, toasty, nutty notes in this smoke by this point. Yes, it can bite if drawn too fast, but hey, pipe smoking is an ART after all not for the sloppy and faint of heart, and frankly, I don't mind having to balance the pipe draws to get the subtle pleasures of a well made blend.

I really like when the bowl is tamped down well to form a coal- like texture with the ribbon and cut-plugs fusing to become one piece of charcoal in the bowl. The room aroma is brilliant, as the comments have advised (ironically, I was even told by some ladies it smelled of chocolate!), no lingering unpleasant smell. Even better is the outdoor aroma, when blended with cool fresh winter air. Sure to please all around you. I recommend a pouch of this to any aromatic smoker, just to keep in the rotation.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

CREAM VANILLA LOOSE CUT.21-01-05. To a new comer to pipe smoking,or someone looking for a tobacco that offer's a pleasant room note,this will be fine. Or if,you enjoy vanilla blend's (go for it) "You'll love it" It was fairly easy to light,and the vanilla could be tasted consistantly to the half way mark of the bowl.Very smooth! Beyond the half way mark it was still rather consistant in it's smoothness,though the tobacco could now be really tasted without the vanilla running the show. It left a fairly whitish grey ash at bowl's end.Most likely the best vanilla blend I have tried so far! Personally I enjoyed the 6 bowl's I have now smoked as a change of pace,it wasn't to bad at all.But after 6 bowl's I was very pleased to get back to my balkan,english and virginia blend's. For a aromatic I give this 7 out of 10.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Definitely one of the best vanilla aromatics in existance. Unlike blends such as RLP-6, this blend allows you to actually taste the tobacco while not sacrificing the flavoring and visa versa.

All aromatic smokers should try this blend. It's a big step up from what you normally find at the tobacconist shop.

But watch out! It can bite if smoked too fast.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Very tasty mix of teenie tiny flakes and black and yellow ribbons. High class presentation and a wonderful vanilla bean aroma. It will bite if provoked so it must be smoked slower. Throw a little burley in to cool things down and i'm in a dream. This would be a fav if it had a little more Vanilla flavor. I desire full on Aromatics. Good stuff though, i'll keep a tin around.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a quality aromatic. The taste is like a good brandy based vanilla. Very rich and somewhat monochromatic like most aromatics. But with something a little better than most. A good tobacco for mixed company.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

They aren't kidding when they say Vanilla Cream. The Vanilla taste in this tobacco is certainly the strongest I have tried. It is also very, very good, applied over quality tobacco which is only just barely in the background due to the very strong casing.

A wonderful aroma in the tin as well as in the room. Packs easily and burns to a fine white ash.

This won't be a regular smoke for me because the Vanilla is too much out in front, but I'll give it three stars simply because it is nothing but quality.

Lovers of Vanilla Cavendish owe it to themselves to give this tobacco a try.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

First off, If you don't like vanilla aromatics stay away ;) If you do, you'll find this a very satisfying smoke. This is miles beyond your average drug store vanilla.

In the tin: heavenly smell, mostly vanilla but also some genuine sweet virginia.

In the pipe: This packs and lights easily yielding dense clouds of blue smoke. The flavor is predominantly vanilla but there is some plain tobacco flavor in the smooth, round mouthfuls of smoke. I find it burns a bit hot and thus advise slow smoking.

This is not a profound tobacco, but when you feel like having yourself a vanilla aromatic this has to be high on your list of choices.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Vanilla Cream for me is a very relaxing smoke with an outstanding sweetness and pleasant aroma, one my even my wife likes.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Vanilla Cream was a staple in my aromatic rotation for years. I hadn't smoked any for some time, so I purchased a pouch and dug out a Stanwell I had dedicated to this tabac. It's easy to see why so many(smokers and non)enjoy this blend. It is mild, low maintenance and smells like a candle party. It even tastes somewhat like tobacco, but that casing is more determined than a russian olympian...a good party smoke when no-one around you would care for EMP.

PaganBoyNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaganBoyNC (8)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. It packs, lights and burns well without getting too hot or biting the tongue and has a very noticeable, but not overwhelming vanilla taste.

The tobacco taste is one-dimensional, but very good and is not too obscured by the vanilla taste - toward the bottom of the bowl the vanilla taste wears off and you will just taste the tobacco. While this is far from being a "strong" tobacco, it definitely has some kick to it.

If you're looking for a classy vanilla aromatic I don't think you could do much better than this. If you're looking for a more complex smoke, or for a pure tobacco taste, look elsewhere.

Geeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geeper (4)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This would be a great starter tobacco, it's not too strong and the people around you will love it's smell.

As a lover of English blends I found the casing to be overwhelming. Much more like eatng a candy than smoking, my wife and family loved it though and it's probably the only blend I was able to smoke were ever I wanted to.

Personally I found it weak in the nicotine category and it did bite me, not seriously, but enough bite that it was annoying.

This would be a huge step up though for someone starting on "drug store" brands and your family will like it too.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Best-of-breed vanilla. While bordering on an almost candied aroma in the tin, to the match this blend is sweet without being sugary, tasty and aromatic from top to bottom.

Colorful, well-pedigreed tobaccos with just the perfect amount of topping make this an all-around delightfully pleasant smoke suitable for all-day. MacBaren put considerable time and effort into this blend and it has truly paid off. For aromatic and Cavendish lovers, this is a real treat.

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I have found my aromatic tobacco!!! This is a keeper. What more can I add, except to say that I don't know if I'd call it "vanilla". It tasted very much like Original Choice, to me...That's not a bad thing in the least, in fact this is how I expected OC to taste when I first smelled it.

This is a very well-behaved aromatic. The smell is terrific, it burns like a dream, the flavour stays all the way through. Not once did I have to run a pipe cleaner through to get rid of moisture!

This is a wonderful sweet smoke for armoatic lovers out there! Highly recommended!

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A pleasing blend to have stuffed in the bowl when just using the pipe as a "chew toy".

First light, and first half to two thirds has wonderful vanilla nut flavoring and aroma that dissipates as it burns down the bowl. Bottom half to third has mostly a virginia taste and aroma (with lingering tobacco aftertaste).

Overall, a nice Saturday morning smoke.

It packed easily and didn't need a relight. Didn't need to "air" the tin before using.

I prefer heavy cavendish and latakia blends, so keep that in mind when looking at how I rated this blend. In fact, I'll probably add some latakia to what I have left.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream is one of my favorite Mac Baren tobaccos. Note, friends, IT DOESN'T BITE. Or not much, anyway. And, PEOPLE LIKE THE SMELL. Plus, it TASTES LIKE TOBACCO. Like Mac Baren Navy Flake, this is a blend you can smoke out of the man-cave, in the actual presence of other living people, and not have clock radios thrown at you. Both the flavour and the aroma are heavily vanilla with what I take to be just a hint of cinnamon lurking in the background. The effect is something like smelling or tasting pastry. Lucky for us, though, the casing does not dominate the blend and you can actually taste real tobacco as you smoke. My wife likes the aroma of this blend and will co-exist in the same room with it. Vanilla Cream is monochromatic and simple, but a huge step up over the typical aromatic in terms of taste, quality of cut, and burning characteristics. It's also a bit of a bargain. Recommended for a change of pace, for those who like aromatics, and for those who long to mingle with other homo sapiens.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

When first opening the pouch, I found a very distinctive aroma of fruit and not vanilla. It was slightly dry, so I was worried. However, it packed very well and had no stems to weed out. Upon the baptismal by fire, the room immediately lit up with a light vanilla aroma, but the tobacco taste was a bit fruity. Quite a change in pace. It took me about four bowls to really get a hand on what this tobacco was doing. Is it fruit or vanilla? Well, it's both and the smoker needs to decide.

As stated before, I was worried that because the tobacco was a bit drier that I am used to, I was going t get bit, but soon found that is was a smooth smoke with very little bite. No gurgle either.

Burns to a coarse gray ash, with almot no dottle in the heel.

Overall, a distinctive aromatic. A nice change of pace, but not my everyday weed.

gradstudent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gradstudent (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

MacBarren Vanilla Cream: not a big fan of heavily flavored tobacco, I tend to stick to blond and red virginias; especially not of something titled Vanilla Cream. But on lonely nights in Anchorage, when the bars have all escorted their last determined customers to the door, and the sidewalks have turned ice, I?ve found myself walking home holding my pipe in my coat pocket and looking for something new... I think MacBarren?s web-sight is very informative, and if one can?t fall asleep on those nights, then reading the brief synopsis for each of their blends might help. It is in this manner which I decided to order their Vanilla Cream lose cut. It is made in part of mature virginia, so that was good enough for me. The tin smell is sweet, creamy, beeswax candle like, and you have to pull it away from your nose. Indeed their is strips of virginia inside, and upon lighting the first two matches I caught hint of their familiar aroma. A light creamy vanilla fragrance follows. The nature of the flavor is nutty-creamy. The intensity of the flavor is light to medium, but more on the light side. The sweetness of the flavor is medium-strong. I don?t know much about flavored tobaccos, but compared to my early pipe smoking days with drug-store blends, this blend seems very sophisticated. The smell in the tin is honest to the smoke, only not as strong. The body of Vanilla Cream on my palate is very gentle, but nonetheless their is a biting quality to it. It caught me a bit by surprise. I?m use to a little bite from virginia, but I wasn?t expecting it from Vanilla Cream. It also seems to cling to your mouth a lot more, despite my obsessive compulsive tooth-brushing. Their is no doubt this Cream is a smooth blend. The balance between the body and flavor is like water and ice. The smoke is consistent, not very complex, but I like consistency in a blend, though it does get sour as you approach the dottle. ?You?re pretentious but not the tobacco,? my girl remarked. I was rudely blowing it in her face, but nonetheless she likes the aroma This blend is lose cut, but I hear there is a flake cut Vanilla Cream which might appeal to me better. However it seems to be sold only in Germany. It is a good idea to keep a separate set of pipes for this blend. I?m having a hell of a time getting the vanilla out of my Stanwell.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (21)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As an avid aro smoker and a fan of Stanwell blends, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I picked it up on a whim, and I had a bit of buyer's remorse afterward due to the fact that the Mac Baren blends that I have tried in the past were certainly nothing to write home about. After opening the tin, I was greeted with the aroma of a creamy, soft Vanilla. It wasn't a strong aroma like that of cheaper aromatics, but it was certainly sweet smelling. While removing it from the tin and placing it in a jar, I noticed the cut; it was a blend of broken flakes with loose cut Virginias and Cavendish. I found a couple of very large stems in the mix as well, which seem to me to be a common Mac Baren attribute with their blends. I packed a bowl in a Darnley Zulu 306 and applied flame. The initial light brought forth a very prominent vanilla flavor with subtle hints of honey and coconut. It reminded me of the coconut cakes my grandmother use to make all the time. The nuttiness burns off about mid-bowl and the sweet vanilla cream flavor stays around for the remainder of the bowl.

The great thing about this blend is that you can still taste the tobacco, but you get a healthy dose of the flavoring at the same time. To me, it is the same type of aromatic as Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. By that, I mean that you can still taste the tobaccos in the blend instead of being left with the feeling of smoking hot air. I enjoy this, and I have often wondered if I would ever experience it in any other tobacco other than SWRA and Stanwell blends. I've certainly made room for this in my rotation now, and will now consider Mac Baren blends whenever I am looking for new tobacco blends for the collection. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a GREAT, high-quality, Danish-style aromatic with a vanilla flavor that you can not only smell, but taste as well!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Savoy, Darnley Zulu

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC

Similar Blends: Stanwell Vanilla, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Alastalo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alastalo (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This review is as much about my gradual progress in learning the art of pipe smoking as it is about the Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut Tobacco.

When I first purchased a pouch of this tobacco, I felt like I had made a mistake. An overwhelmingly cloying vanilla aroma emanated from the pouch and the tobacco felt very wet. Initial tries did not have much taste and the tobacco was difficult to keep lit. So, I poured out of the pouch into a glass jar with a lever-sealable lid and forgot about it for about six months.

In the meantime, I occasionally smoked Squadron Leader and Amphora Full Aroma, although both were difficult to keep lit, and besides the Amphora bit me.

Out of curiosity, I decided to give the Vanilla Cream another go. The tobacco had become extremely dry in the jar, possibly because of a leaky rubber seal or who knows what. But the vanilla aroma had become very very pleasant, and as I packed the pipe, everything just worked: the pipe stayed lit, the tobacco tasted nice and left a very good sweetish aftertaste, everything was as it probably should be. Maybe the Vanilla Cream burns a bit hot at times, and perhaps there is just a hint of tongue bite if puffed hard, but I can always slow down. To conclude, this is good, thoroughly enjoyable stuff!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob

This is a tasty blend that smells of vanilla and a little honey in the tin. It appears to be about 1/5 black cavendish. I found it to be slightly moist for my liking but have smoked it as it came from the tin will no ill effects. I tended to use charring light/tamp and relight with this blend, and I think that was a function of the moisture.

When first lit, there is a good bit of vanilla and I can taste the black cavbendish. This settles down quickly, and the smoke is mildly aromatic with a solid golden Virgina foundation. It smoked cool for me, and the Virginia became increasingly dominant as the bowl progressed. The smoke does have a creamy, smooth quality to it that I think is more than the power of suggestion.

I get hints of fruit as well as the vanilla in the flavor. The room note is pleasant. This is a solid 3 on the rating scale. It is probably a 4 if you are looking for a vanilla blend that is subtle and smooth.

artielon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielon (6)

After smoking this exclusively for three days I´m quite happy with the blend and cut. A mild vanilla flavor and quite a cool and soft smoke. Works best in my Parker billiard with a fairly deep bowl. Can be packed quite densly and stays lit very well. Doesn´t go out even with just occasional puffing. Plugs up my Falcon Coolway filtered pipes and smoking becomes a continous effort with poor results. I recommed this for the right pipe.

Pipe Used: Parker Straight Billiard p87

Age When Smoked: Fresh to one week old

Purchased From: Stockmann´s, Helsinki

unfound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unfound (3)

I bought this blend more for others than myself. I'm not a huge fan of strong flavors and this Mac Baren is not over powering. The vanilla is very subtle which makes it more enjoyable to me.

Like I said, I reach for this when I'm around others. Most of them really enjoy the smell, and refer to it as 'like incense'. I'll buy it again when I run out, but it will take a while.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden, Volcano, Rhodesian

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (40)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This will be an odd review, but please hear me out. I absolutely love this tobacco ... but never on its own.

It's a bit too aromatic for me full strength. So I blend it with Mac Baren Virginia No. 1. The combination is too good for words. However that won't stop me from giving it a go.

The spicy dryness of Va. No. 1 tames the aroma of the vanilla perfectly while lending nice body and natural tobacco flavour. The room aroma is heavenly but understated. Tons of satisfaction for the Virginia smoker, while earning approval from bystanders as well.

The slight accent of aromatic flavour coming from the Vanilla Cream is simply beautiful. A perfect solution for smokers who find straight Virginia tobacco a bit bland.

I blend the two very gently by hand, preserving the cut. In a proportion that suits my taste at the time. 50/50 is a good starting point. I then form the blended tobaccos into a loose clump which is (again gently) air pocketed into the pipe.

The resulting combination burns beautifully at a smoulder, without the need for relights.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi

Age When Smoked: from 2010

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (5)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Vanilla Cream Loose Cut deserves recommendation for an aromatic blend. Tin aroma is wonderful, room note is wonderful, actual taste is delightful.

It burns under control from top to bottom, easy to smoke. Satisfying tobacco blend which i am going to put in my rotation for a sweet morning.

EDIT: I took out some portion of this blend from the tin to dry a little bit, then i forgot it. Next day it was dry like sand. In any case I decided to give it a try and it was even better than before.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh opened tin

Purchased From: Istanbul Ataturk Airport

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)

I'm sure my adding to the list of recommendations won't hold much sway in the mind of anyone, but I am new to reviewing tobacco and wanted to get one under my belt. So enough with the blabbering....

Tin Note: Very pleasant smell in the tin. I would consider it to be a mild smell but given the fact that the taste is mild as well, it just makes sense that this would be the case.

Flavor: What I love about this blend is the balance between the tobacco flavor and the aromatic vanilla flavoring. It rides the fence very well, not shunning tobacco purists nor those who have a difficult time with virginias. The light and fruity flavor of the virgina comes through without being overly "hay" flavored. The vanilla comes through pretty consistently, but is more noticed as room note than flavor. For me, I had to think "vanilla" to notice it through the entire bowl. When I wasnt trying to find that flavor, I noticed predominantly the virginia. About halfway through the bowl, I noticed an almost peppery flavor at the back of my throat. Not unpleasant, but noticeable.

Tongue bite: I noticed no tongue bite, but I did bring it to the tongue bite threshold faily easily if I got carried away puffing. This is definitely meant to puff slowly.

Other: For me, this was unpleasant, pushed through the nose. Not to the point of "zinging" my sinuses, but not something I preferred to repeat. The aftertaste was the typical sour virgina flavor I have come to expect from virginia tobaccos. However, it didnt last too long.

Overall, this tobacco is a great staple to keep on hand. It isnt expensive, and again, keeps a great balance between tobacco and aromatic flavors. Recommended.

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best Vanilla aromatic I have the pleasure to taste so far. No tongue bite at all, an even burn from beginning to the end, cool mellow smoke and, believe it or not, real Vanilla aroma (according to my wife own words).

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (85)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoyed this aromatic although I predominantly smoke English blends. The quality of the tobacco is excellent. While it says "loose cut" on the tin, there are nice chunks of flake in the mix as well. When I first opened Vanilla Creme it smelled wonderfully of vanilla liquor, however, I knew this was a sign telling me I should let the tabacky breathe a bit. Whether I smoke a Peterson, or Dunhill, or MacBaren aromatic, I always let the tobacco air out for a while after I open the tin. The casings and flavoring can be over powering when the tin is first opened, and the soon to be burnt sugars of the Cavendish and casings/flavorings can lead to tongue bite if not allowed to dissipate. Per usual, I did not have any more problems with the allegedly legendary MacBaren Tongue bite than I have had with any other quality aromatic blend. As a matter of fact, it tasted like I was smoking nice Virginias with a whiff of vanilla.

Don't listen to the haters. This is a great vanilla aromatic. Especially when you factor in the price.

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was totally disappointed with this blend from Mac Baren. I was searching for that 1 perfect Vanilla blend that actually has some flavor to it, and I was excited to open the tin of Mac Baren when it arrived! Although this blend looks great upon opening it, that's where the excitement ended. What a shame. No taste at all and very mild. Like smoking air. Another tin to add to the pile of useless tobacco's.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

this is a very good aromatic smoke. the scent from the vanilla and the virginia tobacco is fantastic. Virginia tobaccos give it a nice sweet taste while the vanilla flavoring makes it nice a creamy. i do tend to get some bite from this. however most aromatics tend to do that to me. aside from the tongue bite this is an excellent tobacco. great for an afternoon relaxing indoors or outdoors. also good to smoke while driving. tends to stay lit well without much tamping and when you smoke vanilla tobacco in your car you'll never need another air freshener in your life!

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My 2 FAVORITE blends are Trout Stream & Scotty's Butternut Burley but I was lookng for a nice Vanilla as that's the only "flavored" tobacco I like. I tried many but there was either not enough Vanilla flavor or it was a goopy mess!! I bought 2 tins of MVLC & I knew straight away I found my Vanilla. Great flavor, a very natural vanilla flavor & the room note is wonderfull. Yes it has A LITTLE bite but let me throw a few tips about this blend & this will be your Vanila too!!

1st....Take it out of the tin & put it in a air tight Ball jar. It has a lil fruityness to it out of the tin. (unless you like that?) 2nd....Spend $30 & get yourself a MISSOURI MEERSCHAUM FREEHAND CC PIPE. You should have 1 anyway!! 3rd....It's a large bowl. Pack it LIGHTLY to the top, light it & tamp it. & Finally....Sip this blend like a fine glass of bourbon.

NO BITE & A RELAXING SMOKE IT'LL BE YOUR VANILLA!!

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this is my go to aromatic, it can easily please me and my surroundings. the tobacco taste is present mildly (virginia and sweet cavendish) however the vanilla taste is more dominant. hold fire very nicely and burn to fine ash. i would say it is a must for aromatic lovers.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

For being a 'full aromatic' it is one of the better ones. There are some broken flakes in the mix, and the tobacco was optimally conditioned, a very little bit on the moist side. Typical for Mac Barens is the tendency to bite the tongue, this one is no exception. Flavour is a bit different from the tin aroma, I find it to resemble a custard rather than e.g. vanilla ice-cream. The room note is pleasant, but the smoke can ghost your pipe. I love to smoke it every now and then (around once-twice a week or whenever I can't make up my mind what to smoke) with a cup of coffee, and I will buy it (or its cousin, the Vanilla Flake) again and again. 3.5 of 5 stars, as being comparably inexpensive here in Asia (half the price of a Gawith or Davidoff)

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (21)

Among vanilla aromatics, this one is really special. It's VERY sweet, but in a positive way. For those who cry "tongue bite," it's an aromatic by MacBaren. Slow down and enjoy. I don't get any bite just based on smoking technique. You may want to initially smoke this in a cobb pipe to see if it's for you. It leaves a pretty strong "ghost" in a briar pipe. I have one pipe dedicated exclusively to this tobacco for that reason. I occasionaly smoke another blend in that pipe and actually enjoy the ghost flavor of the vanilla. This is my "go to" when I want a sweet vanilla smoke or have guests around. The room note is A+++

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am not a big fan of Mac Baren tobaccos but based on the reviews here and some recommendations of a friend, I gave this one a shot. Smells great in the can, not too strong at all. A bit on the moist side but lights and stays lit fairly well. It has that typical Mac Baren "flavor" but it is in the background. There is a wonderful vanilla flavor with a hint of creaminess. I was quite surprised by this so puffed away like mad. Got a bit of tongue bite because of this, seems as if all Mac Barens have to be sipped or smoked slowly. Very enjoyable, very relaxing smoke. I will keep this in my regular rotation! Great smoke for a beginner as well.

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (6)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best vanilla cased blends I have tried - period! Not over cased, just as I would expect a vanilla taste tobacco to be, very easy smoking and I could easily smoke this all the time, (but that would be boring) A classy aromatic, if you want to get away from the sticky gooey dripping in gloop, aromatics yet still want the vanilla aroma and taste - this is it! Superb room note, the non smoking holier than thou annoying self righteous mutants.....will still love you!!

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up a tin of this about a week ago. I was hoping for the flake version, but as the B&M only had the loose cut I gave it a try. Ya can't pass up an extra 50 grams for only $2 more. It was a very good smoke. Took the lighting well and burned nice and evenly to a white ash. The vanilla flavoring was noticed from the original light all the way until the last puff. It wasn't overwhelming by any means. Just the perfect touch to give it a wonderful flavorful vanilla experience that was enjoyed by myself and those around me. If you're looking for a vanilla flavor or any flavor for that matter to please the Mrs. with this is the one.

Papa Koala Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papa Koala (8)

Very, very nice. Mrs Koala still prefers the room note from 'Plumcake' but this comes a close second. I like this when I'm not in the mood for something strong. It is not overbearing, I like the balanced taste of tobacco to vanilla and others don't object to the aroma, "win, win".

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)

Probably the best 'vanilla' I've come across; it works well with the creaminess. There are some cut Virginia plugs in this mix; when I hit one I surely recognize it.

DaddyWarbucks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyWarbucks (11)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is a high-quality aromatic, particularly tasty and with delightful room note. Smoking slowly is critical, though even when I get a little impatient with it, it doesn't produce many off flavors.

The taste is not incredible, but the vanilla is not overpowering and the tobacco tastes like tobacco; but I don't expect to be satisfied by exceptional tobacco flavor with aromatics. Vanilla tastes and smells natural; there is little trace of "chemical" notes one gets with cheap aromatics. In any case, it's a good tasting blend and will not offend most bystanders at all.

This is really good stuff. Give it a try if you like aros.

[edit:]

Ok, a long time later, I've revisited this blend. It's still ok to smoke, and the room note is really wonderful. "Recommended" status stays, even though I think I've gotten less tolerant of aromatics in the meantime.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of the best aros in my opinion, biteless, cool burning and with a decent flavour that is not overly sweet. Amazing room note as well so dont be afraid to smoke this around yor wife.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Nice looking tobacco. Smells quite strong and sweet in the pack, and the moisture is normally just right. This tobacco is easy to pack, and is at its best if packed quite tightly.

It's an easy, low maintenance smoke, and the benefits are immediate. The flavouring is rather strong: one doesn't taste much tobacco, to the extent that it impossible to identify what tobacco is used in the blend. The spicy vanilla taste is dominant. I also taste black pepper. The taste is good, perhaps a little too sweet, but an excellent replacement for after-dinner sweets, with a cup of coffee. Aftertaste and room note are both pleasantly sweet.

This could be the best of the vanilla blends - it certainly is my favourite vanilla blend, and it has been since I tried it for the first time, back in 2000.

Ibitz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ibitz (4)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love vanilla ice cream. I love vanilla in my tea. I love vanilla yogurt. I put vanilla extract in my pancakes. And guess what? I love this tobacco. Hands down my fav. The taste is great, the aroma is wonderful. My wife loves the smell which is a touch down right there. The texture is perfect and it burns just right. Maybe too pedestrian for some I suppose, but this is my stuff. And as an oil painter, the empty tins are perfect for keeping the oil fresh between sessions.

skylonrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skylonrow (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was a very nice blend. Out of the packet it was nice and moist, and had a wonderful vanilla aroma to it. It was nice and easy to pack my bowl, and I found it stayed alight very well compared to most other tobaccos, usually I have to re- light my pipe about 4-5 times, but with this tobacco I only had to relight twice. The smoke was very thick and creamy and although I couldn't taste the vanilla that much (I am a beginner to the pipe and find it hard to pick out flavours) in terms of the other tobaccos I've tried it had a nice taste to it and was smooth. Smoking nice and slowly produce good flavour, good aroma and stayed lit well, but puffing to hard and it will bite! Overall a very nice tobacco I would both recommend and would buy again.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another update--- after sampling a several dozen more tobaccos, many virginias, aromatics and so forth- I have realized how much I truly love this blend. This has better virginia taste than what is being passed off as "escudo navy delux" nowadays!!! Has the best nicotine hit out of ANY vanilla tobacco PERIOD. Probably has the only true vanilla flavor as well. May be the only aromatic that benefits from age and is worth putting in a cellar.

Many people are calling blends 'crossovers' because they are a bit of both worlds when it comes to tobacco and aromatic flavor, but this old time favorite is a TRUE crossover blend! In my opinion Latakia is a CASED TOBACCO (DUN DHUUUN DUUUUUUUHHHNN!) just because it is cased with smoke doesn't mean that its not flavored, whereas Vanilla creme has a TRUE natural virginia taste to sing along with its casing.

This blend will always be a favorite and it deserves more credit than anyone gives it. If you aren't familiar with any Virginians be warned: get to know them slowly or they will bite you, just try to understand that it doesn't make them bad.

D.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.M. (8)

This was my first Mac Baren. Here in Switzerland, it's available in 50g pouches it seems pretty much anywhere. Using the air pocket method and a loose pack, I found that it burns very well straight out of the pouch with no relighting all the way down.

Slowly sipping it or using the "breath method" gives a very nice, smooth, slightly sweet vanilla flavor. The smoke is rich and indeed creamy, like the name says. Smokes cool and dry with no bite, if you do it slowly. It's got a nice room note even when you're smoking it. Usually I can't smell the smoke too well when smoking, but this one I can detect if I'm smoking it slowly, and it's very nice.

I quite like this vanilla tobacco and am looking forward to finishing the rest of this pouch.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the first Mac Baren tobacco I ever encountered. I go back and forth with it, sometimes liking it and sometimes not. Like most of their tobaccos, Vanilla Crème has a strong tin aroma, especially when freshly opened, of fermenting compost, but in this case it's vanilla fermenting compost. I've said before, though, that you sometimes have to ignore the tin aroma. The tobacco is a broken flake of heavily cased Virginia.

This is a good smoke when others are in the house. My impartial room note judge said that the fragrance is quite nice, kind of like having a vanilla candle burning in the room. Easily lit, the burn is smooth and fairly cool, especially for an aromatic; I suspect that this is due to the quality of the tobacco used. Once burning, the vanilla flavor is accompanied by a nice creaminess. Think of cream soda in a tobacco. There's nothing subtle about Vanilla Crème. I did find, though, that the flavor began to get a bit sour by the bottom of the bowl, and it doesn't DGT very well.

If you want a really good, high quality vanilla blend, go for either this or Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. I personally prefer SVH, but that could be because I smoked it first, and maybe because it has a bit more subtlety about it. Vanilla Crème is a good tobacco to smoke when others are around, especially if those others have a tendency to complain about "stinky" tobaccos.

griffonwing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
griffonwing (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The one thing that I have noticed about Mac Baren blends is there are very subtle flavours in their tobacco blends. I can take 3 different pipes, fully cleaned, fill them up, and get 3 differing tastes from the same tobacco. It all depends on the cut of the briar, the tightness of the grain, and also on the lingering flavours of the previous tobacco.

That being said, this Vanilla Cream blend is my absolute favourite blend of tobacco. This is my every day smoke. Very smooth, full of flavour, and not over-powering. The highest quality Virginia-base tobaccos can be tasted under the light high-quality Cavendish. This is such a high quality tobacco, that I have devoted one of my Jacopo's specifically to this blend of tobacco.

The room note is most excellent, sweet and very aromatic. It is like tasting a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. But it is not over-powering. This is a very pleasant tobacco that you can smoke all day long.

I daresay that many of the reviewers who have given this a 1-2 star review are those who either are not keen on any type of flavored tobaccos, or who are smoking this tobacco in a cheap, low-grade pipe, or in a pipe whose cake is that of a different type. You need to have a fully clean and sterilized pipe of high quality in order to get the most of this blend.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

as a returning pipe smoker...after a break of 20 years or so...on reading reviews of this this tobacco, I decided to try it out. In the past I liked aromatic tobacco, particularly those from Scandinavia, my favourite used to be Skandinavik aromatic (which I cannot get in Scotland now), so.... i decided to try this blend, on opening the pouch I found a very light vanilla smell, not to sweet but just right, the tobacco was not too moist. Packed up the pipe and lit up....I was totally amazed at how good this blend tasted. Lovely sweet taste right from the off, the taste did not diminish at all through the smoke....no hint of tounge bite at all..and the room note...one to die for....superb....the first tobacco I tried on taking up the pipe again was "7 seas" regular blend which was good but this blend just is in a different class. Certainly worth a try if you like Scandinavian aromatic tobacco.

Massis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Massis (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As my first real aromatic I had high hopes for this tobacco. I am not normally a fan of vanilla-flavored products, but this vanilla cream smells terrific!

The vanilla scent upon opening the 100g tin is very distinct, yet not overwhelming. The tobacco itself has exactly the correct amount of moist in it, and consists of a nice mix including some parts flake which containt the highest concentration of vanilla.

It lights very easy, and rarely requires a relight. Throughout the bowl it smokes very evenly and is hard to smoke too fast. This tobacco has absolutely no tendency to smoke wet and tongue bite-wise is the mildest tobacco I have smoked so far.

While rather mild, the taste is complicated enough to keep you interested, even after tens of bowls. The vanilla is easily found in the taste, and is very natural (I really dislike chemical vanilla taste).

A recommendation to all new pipe smokers and due to it's pleasant room note also recommended to smokers with housemates who dislike pipesmoke!

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I consider this to be one of the best flavored tobaccos available. Too often the cherry/vanilla/anchovy is slathered on like fudge on a sundae, and you can't even breathe with it around, much less taste anything in the smoke.

This blend is better than that- its good tobacco, with good flavor, and a subtle (okay- medium subtle) addition of pleasant vanilla flavor. I also consider this an excellent "entry level" smoke. Its got enough tobacco flavor for new smokers to know what's going on, but not so much flavoring as to be overwhelming or to completely disguise the tobacco either. A much better choice than some of the drug store blends.

I find this smoke especially relaxing. The room note is completely adored by family and friends around me.

The can I got was a little over-moist, so I've found letting it dry a little makes for a better smoke.

I usually smoke 3 different bowls in a row: I start out with something mild, then step up to medium (a virginia or a Vanilla-flavored?), then end with something stronger (usually MB Mixture), once my palate is more involved. MB's Vanilla Cream is often the first thing I smoke to get started.

I really enjoy this blend.

zemnos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zemnos (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first ever tobacco review. After sampling some other aromatics, I can say that Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream is a very relaxing blend. There is some tongue bite but not always. Very nice aroma not overwhelming. Right balance. Room note is great. I will keep some around always from now on. I do not know if anyone else noticed this but the bowl smells like the most amazing cinnamons while and after smoking. Best regards, Ali

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

I looked everywhere for this tobacco, and finally found it. I bought 3 tins and went to work.

Now this is how I like my tobacco. While the vanilla is present, it's not overwhelming, and the balance is just perfect. It's sweet without being sickly sweet or gunky. The smell out of the tin is awesome. It's easy to pack, easy to light, stays lit, and burns to a nice fine ash all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.

I don't get why Mac Baren is associated with tongue bite. Granted I've only tried this and Black Ambrosia from Mac Baren, but neither have bitten me, ever. Just take it slow and it's very rewarding. I smoke it in a small bowl and it seems to be perfect. It doesn't burn too hot, and there is no gurgle, either.

I think I could pretty much smoke this all day and not complain about it. The balance is perfect for me.

Update : I still enjoy this tobacco, and it's probably my favorite aromatic, though I primarily smoke Virginia flakes. However, I found 2 pouches of this the other day, so I bought them. Quite different from the tinned version. Way more black cavendish in the pouch, different cut, no broken flakes, and quite a bit less flavor. I was disappointed. Stick to the tin - that's good stuff.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)

The tobacco is a combination of long ribbons and pressed flakes. Nice tin aroma, nice room note. I packed pretty loosely due to the pressed flakes. Took a few matches to get a good light going. Did not have big billowing clouds of smoke, more of a light wisp. The pipe never gurgled and was dry at the end. Most vanillas use a black cavendish as base, but this used some pressed flakes, so I give it thumbs up on style.

The Gentle Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Gentle Smoker (11)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoke everything from time to time and love strong latakia blends as much as good aromatics. There is a time for everything, I say.

I tried this from a newly purchased 100g tin and I have to say the vanilla aroma is wonderfull, the pleasure starts in the tin. After an easy lit (and no relit after a one and a half hour smoke) I was pleasantly welcomed with the delightfull creamy smoke of vanilla (so it's not just a clever name).

The beginning was a nice and mild smoke. after the first part I tamped it a bit firmer and got a fuller heavier taste with the same great vanilla taste. Absolutely a keeper.

The finish got me a bit by suprise as I was getting a firm nicotine afterburner (not big, but not the kind I'm used to with aromatics). It was great.

An absolute must have in the cabinet and easy to smoke around guests. Buy this and you'll derive a lot of pleasure from this.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent tobacco to introduce smokers to the pleasures of "kind-hearted smoking". Non-smokers love the room note!

In my book, enlightened people find joy not only in their own pleasures but also in the pleasures of others. Vanilla Cream delivers on both fronts. I am somewhat amused by condescending "experts" who look down on aromatic tobaccos. The pipe's heavenly aromas helped me to break free from a 25-year addiction to cigarettes. I have nothing to prove. I know about stinky, selfish smoking. Trust me, it's overrated. Long live aromatics! May I never "outgrow" them!

The vanilla in Vanilla Cream is unlike any other vanilla I have smoked. The pouch aroma and room note are both quite strong and it has an almost minty freshness to it. Despite the strong casing, the Virginia tobacco taste still shines through when smoked. Yes, this is a very sweet aromatic, but you'll still know that you are smoking tobacco. Although my mouth chemistry is of such a nature that I am prone to being bitten (a chemical bite has little to do with overzealous puffing - I don't puff on my chili peppers and they bite too), this tobacco has never bitten me.

Highly recommended for smokers who enjoy sweet aromatics.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)

Tasty!

This is another aromatic that I've had often and return to frequently. It can and will bite if you're not careful, so I would highly suggest giving it a few bowls to get used to it.

The aroma in the package and after lighting is amazing. Very sweet. The aroma lingers as well on clothing, in a not unpleasant way.

So...why two stars? Well, as much as I crave this sometimes, I usually end up mixing it with other blends as it can create some neat combinations. Since I don't always finish a pouch of it I didn't want to give it a three or four on its own. Tough love...

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another sweet MacBaren product but not for me. The aromatic fans must give it a try.

It reminded me the very first years of my pipe smoking experience. Those days were sweet as vanilia but not now.. I prefer tobaccos.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best Vanilla blend I have tried, paired only by Borkum Riffs Special Mixture 8. I have been a regular smoker of this blend since its release in 1999. Did not get tired of it. The vanilla sauce developed for this blend is amazing. I would describe it as mix of caramel and cream. The tobacco needs to smoked slowly with no rush or it can get a bit hot. The taste is great if you puff with the attention it deserves and the room note is one of the best in pipe tobaccos. My wife also loves this. For a good aromatic smoke you cannot go wrong with this blend.

emmacaru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmacaru (2)

The taste of this tobacco is very pleasant without being overpowering. The vanilla flavoring remains consistent to the bottom of the bowl and the smoke is very sweet. It lights well and smokes cool with relatively little bite for an aromatic. The taste is very close to the smell of the tobacco. I find it very satisfying. The room note is pleasant and will be appreciated by both smokers and non- smokers.

If you like aromatics, then this tobacco is a "go to". In my opinion it is one of the best tobaccos i have tried.

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Captain Spice (a Tinder Box black cavendish blend laced with vanilla) was the first tobacco I ever smoked over 30 years ago as I am partial to all things vanilla! Can't say it was always a pleasant experience in my quest for the perfect vanilla blend - too goopy, chemical taste and the like. As a result, I was never really satisfied with any of them.

For me, Mac Baren's Vanilla Loose Cut not only has the best vanilla smell in the pouch (I buy it in bulk), but it actually tastes like it smells and has a beautiful room note. A very nicely done blend with not only the best vanilla taste I have ever experienced, but solid tobacco flavor throughout. No moisture or goop at the end of the smoke either. I enjoy it best in a medium sized Meerschaum.

Even with sufficient drying time, you have to smoke this one slowly as it tends to burn hot and will nip at your tongue if pushed. I have about 4 ounces from a 16 ounce canister I purchased well over a year ago in a zip lock, and it's just as hot and nippy as ever if puffed too quickly. If you are looking for an aromatic that actually tastes like it smells in the pouch, forget about Captain Black White as this would be a good blend to try. It needs to be coddled as it is not for fast puffers. You must pack it loose and sip it like a fine brandy otherwise your tongue will be set aflame. Do this and you won't be disappointed.

JackinJapan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackinJapan (12)

Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut is a very nice aromatic that is still on the economic side. Opening the pouch reveals a very pleasant smelling tobacco that is on the course side when compared to some slightly more expensive tobaccos like Dunhill's or Peterson's and an occaisional stem might be found. The vanilla smell is very strong at first but this quickly tones down to a pleasant level

Because it is of a courser cut, a slight amount of rubbing or working through the fingers may be required to load and pack the bowl well.

The taste is very pleasant without being overpowering and retains enough of the original tobacco flavor to satisfy on that front also. The vanilla flavoring remains consistent to the bottom of the bowl and the smoke is sweet. It lights well and smokes cool with relatively little bite for an aromatic. That said, it has been my experience that if you don't take care to smoke this slowly you can get bit slightly. The room note is pleasant and will be appreciated by both smokers and non- smokers.

This is one of my "go to" tobaccos that I switch in when I want something on the sweeter side without being overpoweringly so. I also fill my carry-around pouch with it sometimes and it is a good all day tobacco. (Out of concern for others experience as well as my own, I only use aromatics for carry-around tobaccos and reserve the stronger smelling English blends I like as well for my den at home.)

------------------

Bottom Line: Sweet smoke; consistent vanilla; on the economical side and to me somehow seems to have a bit of a "rough" texture to the smoke that is not, however, unpleasant; highly recommended if you like aromatics and in particular vanilla

macbforme Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbforme (7)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Overwhelming

I expected this stuff to be good. What I got was a cigarette smoke in a pipe! Ugh!

This was indeed an "incendiary" and brutal smoke. I detected no vanilla and my wife commented that it was the worst and most foul smelling tobacco I had ever lit up.

Gave it another go and the same results occurred... only this time a little of the vanilla came through.

Maybe I got a bad batch or something but I had to discard it after two attempts at this tin.

I am giving this 2 stars because Mac Baren is quality tobacco. Otherwise... my experience puts this at 1/2 a star.

I will make a purchase in the future to see if it will allow a better experience and update my review accordingly.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The tin fragrance of this blend is fantistic. This is not your basic vanilla cavendish although there is cavendish in the blend. This is a very good Virginia blend with aromatic qualities. It will bite if pushed. But overall its very sweet and tasty. Not quite 4 star but better than 3.

cecilianinnc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cecilianinnc (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been looking for a nice vanilla tobacco since memories of the scents coming from old men smoking vanilla and cherry flavored tobaccos got me into smoking pipes in the first place.

This was a total miss. It was downright terrible. Upon the first light, it basically destroyed my mouth with a spicy burn. I would compare it to trying to eat an entire box of Red Hots or cinnamon tic-tacs at one time. I resisted the urge to just dump it out and eat my losses though. It did mellow out around mid-bowl, but this was not enough to make up for the beginning. It basically tasted extremely low-quality.

Unfortunately, I'm now stuck with a little less than 100 grams of this stuff. Fortunately, it smells good in the tin and my girlfriend said she wanted to use it as a room freshener.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a well done Vanilla and a great price for what you get.

Bite? I don't experience it with the Mac Baren blends I've tried. Everyone's body chemistry is different and we all get bite occasionally with differing mixtures I suppose.

Though I must say, I smoke MacB exclusively in meers. I'm less and less a fan of the briar these days.

OK, for the review! The Vanilla top note is solid and lasting, the way I like it. Quality Cavendish mixed with about equal amonts of VA. A straight-up no-frills vanilla smoke.

Complexity? Nahhh, and I'm glad of it. Nothing seems more silly to me that the continual ramblings of the "it changes character mid bowl, then becomes nuanced toward the dottle" --- phfffft! Poppy-cock!

Do you want your steak to change flavor while you eat it?

Do you want your beer to mutate mid glass?

No and No, and neither should tobacco do these things.

This smoke is the same start to finish as it should be. It is a good quality tobacco, and you get 100g for the price of most 50g blends. That alone is worth 2 stars. But since I like this quality, unpretentious smoke, I'll give it 3 stars.

Vanilla lovers apply here!

Good Draw to You.

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

NB: If you can?t stand aromatic blends, this one is definitely off limits. If, on the other hand, you don?t mind an aromatic every once in a while, this might suit you. Finally, if you are an aromatic die-hard, this one is a must. In any case, don?t be put off by the rather pungent vanilla essence exuding from this tobacco (noticeable even with the pouch sealed and wrapped up). Give it some time. You?ll be surprised.

I must admit I was fairly alarmed when I first got a pouch of VLC as a gift from a former student. Initial reaction: does this guy hold a grudge or something? As I walked away, suspiciously sniffing the pouch, my second reaction was: Oh my! This smells (nay, stinks) exactly like one of those Middletone?s chemical vanilla concoctions (at best, one might also compare it to Peterson?s De Luxe mixture).

Throwing all caution to the wind I decided to open the pouch, but not being the daredevil youngster I once used to be, I thought it safer to leave it open for a couple of hours before I approached it with any serious intentions. Well, to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised both by the cut and the aroma.

This is top-grade MacBaren craftsmanship at its best. Nothing to do with Middletone?s factory-cut. The jet-black Cavendish strands (Burley?s? Though there is no mention of this leaf in the tobacco description), thick Virginia plug chunks, and golden and medium brown Virginia ribbon look wonderful, solid, and inviting. After being open for an hour or so, the excessive aroma had dissipated, allowing the blend?s natural mildness and sweetness to emerge (in fact, the typical MacBaren Virginia honey-on-toast aroma was very much in evidence). The vanilla casing was there all right, but not in a cloying, enervating fashion.

Now, for the ultimate MacBaren challenge: would the legendary tongue-bite signature (described by some?Lustra for one?as napalm-on-the-tongue or, at the very least, an incendiary affair) be present in the smoking experience?

Well, good news in this department, too. No Osamas here. This is a fairly cool and surprisingly mild, slow burning melange. Rather than producing a military assault on the senses or taste buds, the flavour is pleasant, slightly sweet and almost elegant. It is a perfect blend to smoke in an open-air cafe (yes, Mexico City too has fallen prey to the fascist anti-tobacco movement, and smokers are now banned from doing so anywhere in indoor public gatherings), where more often than not innocent bystanders and fellow smokers will compliment you on the wonderful aroma.

Another plus: it doesn?t seem to leave any gunk or syrupy residue in the pipe, nor does the flavour cling to the inner stem or bowl. However, I wouldn?t use my Virginia or English only pipes to smoke this one. Virginia Lose Cut is a quality aromatic, with excellent burning characteristics. Yet, as I?m not a diehard aromatic fan, I cannot rate it more than three stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

It's vanilla, it's creamy, it still has some natural tobacco taste to it, it isn't too soapy, it doesn't bite too much...and you would be amazed at how many hardcore latakia and VA/perq fans both like and rate it.

So many aromatics have vanilla in them, why? Because it works well with the process of casing. MacB have just decided to let the vanilla do all the work, without too much suger or rum or God only knows what else. Even if you don't like vanilla (I hate custard!) it'll surprise you.

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

The quest for a good aromatic continues. Smells good. That's it. Get an aroma-therapy candle if you want a pleasant odor.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

A solid-enough aromatic, but the vanilla taste seems a bit off to me. It is unique, which is something I occasionally look for in a tobacco, but this one somehow misses the mark. I may experiment with it by mixing some of it with other vanilla blends. But I doubt I will buy another tin.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Strong

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream was my tobacco number 4. Good Virginia and mild black Cavendish tobaccos. It has very nice Vanilla Flavour, and people really like his smell in room, but you really have to dry it well.

CheckeredFlight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CheckeredFlight (8)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Sounds inviting, the name, I mean... Vanilla Cream, hmmmmmm. Well upon trying it, and then re-trying, I am left having to say that it's just not for me. Something in this blend left me feeling not so good upon smoking it, I felt a little ill. Not sure what it was, however, it's unfortunate, since I think highly of MacBaren tabaccos.

I'm really writing this review to remind myself to stay away. Hmmmm,,,, can't figure out how to paste a skull and cross-bones in this review.....

Pth..th...thh..thhh...ttt !!!! stay away, stay away, evil vanilla cream voodoo.

Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Ok...this is the last MB I am reviewing, and I have tried quite a few others....not meaning to sound redundant, if my reviews have been read, but this is garbage. Hot burning, sweet smelling...same ol' same ol' MB. I was hoping this would be the one aromatic I could like as much as the folks around me...but I dont...sorry MB...but I would rather smoke in solitude with a "stinker" than have another case of casing caused critical cauterization...use caution all who step the MB way.

In the end...what is more important? An excellent room note or a great tasting tobacco....my choice has been made..bye bye MB Vanilla.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Bitey, sickly sweet, and not pleasant to the palate at all. This is the first MacBaren tobacco that I have not liked. I just cannot get the hang of this stuff. If I am going to smoke an aromatic I want it to be an enjoyable experience, not one I regret. I cannot recommend this.

Agany Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Agany (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Let me just say that my expectations were very low. I'm not very keen on aromatic tobaccos, but there are a few that I find quite good. This isn't the case. I respect and enjoy most of the Mac Baren products, but this one has only fruit notes (I was expecting lots of vanilla but, surprisingly, there was only a small touch of it). The burn is considerably regular, which makes this tobacco very good to pipe novices. The room note it is the only upside of this tobacco. My friends told me that the smell was very sweet and intense (OK, but for me, the smoker, it was a drag).

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

September 2004

I bought this tobacco on the recommendation of a friend who knew I was looking for a full-bodied aromatic (I've since learned there really is no such thing). This is a nice aromatic, but not nearly full or intense enough for me.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

I do not have the time to describe the attributes of this tobacco in detail as others do. However, as I do wish to contribute some feedback, I will simply rate this tobacco on a scale of 1 ?10, including tenths.

I am no longer partial to heavily flavored aromatics and this blend is one of them. If you like them, you will love this blend so take my review with a grain of salt. I rate this tobacco 5.0 out of 10.

PipeNeophyte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeNeophyte (10)
Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I was really excited about trying this stuff but somewhat disappointed.

Right off the bat it smells delicious. I would definitely recommend it for when the ladies are about. It tastes rich and wonderful... But it has a tongue bite and a sort of chemical casing that I can't get over. I can't really get through a full pipe-load of this stuff. It tastes like all the bad things about cotton candy, to me. But my friends really love the stuff so it's probably just my delicate pallette or something.

Mikado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikado (1)

I find this smokes a little hot for my taste, but I enjoy the mild flavor. Anyone who likes the vanilla flavored tobaccos should give this a try.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream has everything I don't like in a tobacco. It is mild; the nicotine content is low; it has a Vanilla casing; and because it is a Mac Baren's blend, it has to burn hot and bite, right?

I won't purchase another tin and I will not finish this one (it'll be a gift for the tobacco bar at my next pipe club meeting). But, I did not hate the stuff.

My personal thought is that if you are a regular aromatic fancier, then this may become your all-time favorite. It knocks the socks off any vanilla blend I can think of. And I've smoked a bunch of 'em over the years.

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is an aromatic blend. In the tin, this blend smells delicious. However, in the pipe, while it still smells great, the taste is pretty mild, flavor-wise. Extremely mild, Mac Baren's Vanilla Creme is a very good aromatic...it's just not for me.

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Tolerable

I usually like strong tobacco with little or no aroma. But this one I really like. I do not know why, I just do. In fact it is the only really aromatic tobacco that I smoke at least one bowl a day. The only bad thing I can say about this one is, it does not leave a clean ash. Not good for breaking in new pipes

Pipe Used: Many

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very light aromatic of Black Cavendish and a few Virginia speckles with a vanilla/fruit aroma. A little drying is recommended, although it comes in good smoking condition. Because it is so light, I mixed it with rubbed out Irish Flake, which was too strong for me on it's own. It is easy to pack, burns well to the end, a little hot maybe, but controlable. Should be a good start for non smoking pipe beginners, but will be too light for the experienced smoker/former cigarette smoker. I have smoked worse, but also better.

LarsFiskaren Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarsFiskaren (5)

The pouch smell is not too bad, a little bit of vanilla and raisins, and chocolate. It packs well, burns a bit too hot. The taste is not enough vanilla as i would like, it's a bit plain actually, but not bad either. It bites a bit, but that's what I expect from a MacBaren blend. Room note is pleasant. Not a great blend, not a bad blend either. Maybe good to start with, as it teaches you to slow down and smells nice for those around you.

Pipe Used: BigBen, Corncob

pipe4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe4me (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought a pouch to try it.My First time in Mc Baren stuff and i dissapointed.The tobacco has an artificial aroma from the opening of the pouch till smoking.It was very dry,tongue bite during smoking and the flavor stops to exist after first burning.I couldn't smoke the whole bowl at all.Waste of time and money.Tottaly crap.

Pipe Used: briar pipe

Purchased From: Spata-Attiki,Greece

scoho7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scoho7 (6)

I've been searching for a great vanilla and unfortunately this one is not it. The pouch smells absolutely delicious, full of vanilla, but the smell does not translate to taste. The room note is pleasurable and it burns decently, but the taste is less smooth than some other vanillas I've tried such as 'Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.' I'm glad I tried this one due to its popularity, but won't be buying it again for my vanilla.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The only aromatic tobacco (outside the Lakeland blends) that I can say I genuinely enjoy. Has to be puffed very slowly to prevent bite and harshness, but otherwise a pleasant smoke.

mypipedreamz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mypipedreamz (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wonderful vanilla flavour, not too strong. A fantastic aromatic blend that is bound to please not only the smoker, but those around as well. Excellent!

pipeofbriaropenfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeofbriaropenfire (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love the ribbon cut. Packs well in the pipe. Lights easily. mild flavor but pleasant and prominent room note. Slight tongue bite, but worth it for me.

iipepeii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iipepeii (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I think this is a very good choice. It has good taste, but my first reason to smoke it, that my Father(and everybody) likes the scent of it. But it must be dried for an hour or more, cause its a very sloppy tobacco and if you stuffing it to early, it has a taste like vomit.

I reccomend it to try.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very nice looking tobacco out of the tin. Upon opening the tin, you get a nice sweet smelling tobacco with hints of vanilla. The cut looks nice, some longer strands of blond and dark brown tobacco. I really thought this was going to be a nice smoking tobacco, then..

After almost a whole 3.5 ounce tin, I just don't see myself buying it again. It burns warm, much warmer than I'd like. It tastes flatish, and has a very mild if any vanilla flavor. I could get past it if it wasn't such a hot burning tobacco, like smoking leaves really. I don't have many harsh reviews, but was very dissappointed with this harsher burning MacBaren. I've had other MacBaren's tobaccos and this is one of two that I haven't enjoyed out of about 10 different types.

It does burn a bit less in a filtered pipe, Savenelli, Grabow, etc.

It's not badly priced, and people have different body chemistry, so if you'd like to try a mild vanilla, than this might be for you. On one note, I didn't have to relight it, it smokes down all the way so that is a plus.

I'm putting the little I have left in a larger jar and adding some moisture, it seemed dry, so I'll try it again.

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of those tobaccos that you'd smoke for the other people in the room, not yourself. In itself, it's pretty boring except for the wonderful Vanilla scented smoke it creates. The flavor for the smoker, while not non-existent, isn't anything to brag about. Still, there's something to be said for trying to please those you're lighting up around once in awhile, so I have to give it a moderate recommendation on that point alone.

[EDIT] Should've read Frogbuster's review before I wrote mine. If I had, I wouldn't have written it, as he said all I did and managed to do it with far less BS than myself.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Smells nice, but has a way too weak taste. Neither the tobacco nor the vanilla taste comes through properly, and makes it a somewhat boring blend.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is my third Vanilla flavoured tobacco (Borkum Riff and Samuel Gawith), and I have to disagree with one of the reviewers, by far, the worst tobacco I have ever tasted is the Borkum Riff one.

Going back to Mac Baren Vanilla cream, it has a very mild sweet smell out of the pouch. The taste of the smoke is weaker than I had expected, but is pleasant nonetheless and quite thick. There's a bit too much black Cavendish for me and I thought in the end, it tasted a bit hot.

If you like aromatics, this one is not really aromatic, but is not bad overall.

keremgulermen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keremgulermen (10)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

More strength than vanilla choice. People that love directly aromatics gonna be like it. After that a few years, i cant prefer one.

snusdennis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snusdennis (2)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Can not taste any vanilla at all. This is the worst tobacco i ever smoked. I would not recommend this to anyone. Even the Borkum riff vanilla cavendish taste more.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I buy this and smoke it quite regularly in 50g pouches. A touch damp, I leave the pouch open over night then smoke it. I really love the note in the pouch and room note. I get a touch bored with it by the end of a pouch. My only wish is the taste while smoking it was equal to the smell of it smoked (maybe be a case of being careful of what I wish for?) All in all a good tasty smoke, great for new smokers and old alike.

gmgodkiller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmgodkiller (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just picked this up and love the smell of this tobacco the moment I opened the pouch. It has a wonderful vanilla taste and flavoring, with a hint of rum and a creaminess in the background. If you enjoy aromatic tobacco's try this. It has now become one of my standard tobacco's that I will be keeping on hand.

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)

On opening the tin I was disappointed as I really did not detect any scent of vanilla. Upon smoking I discovered it was a smooth, and for a Mac Baren relatively cool smoke. I can't quite place what it smells like but I like the smell and this may become a regular.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

wolfnige Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfnige (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Great anytime of the day one of the best of MAC BARENS very smooth with no tongue bite pure bliss and 7 euro from enfida airport for 100g

RMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMD (5)

This is a good afternoon smoke. Not the strongest or tastiest of tobaccos but it is one of the best smelling ones I know of. I get complement whenever I smoke it around people.

Aussie-man-die-as Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie-man-die-as (13)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am not an Aromatic smoker any more, but I still have a pack worth of this one left over in my drawer. I find it bearable occasionally, but very sweet and cloying; for an aromatic smoker I expect it will be rich and delicious as it was for me a few years ago.

The cut is fantastic - ribbon cut, attractive, varied colors of tobacco. The tin note is very much vanilla. Once it has dried out a bit (somewhat damp in the pack) it packs and lights well. Unlike others I have to be extremely slow and careful to avoid painful tongue bite, but with great care it is possible.

The vanilla flavoring is all too obvious to me - I do not know where others get their rum-flavor registers; could the blend be different in the soft pack in Australia?

Smoke this one if you want rich creamy vanilla flavor. Sure, it may be artificial, but it does "vanilla cream" very well indeed. Just not my taste anymore.

This too shall pass.

Grizzly1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly1911 (7)

Love this tobacco. Lightly cased so it does not give tongue bite, but has great flavor and room note. Will definitely buy more.

Zeno_Croatia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zeno_Croatia (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I tried this tobacco based on reviews here and all I can say is - thank you, guys.

This is a nice, aromatic, mild tobacco. There are no tongue bites, unless you puff like a champ, it's not too moist, although I do leave it to dry for 15 minutes before packing. It stays lit, it burns evenly, and the room note is very pleasant.

So for beginners this is a must try, and for seasoned smokers, I don't know, try it, I think you won't regret it...

RobD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobD (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I love this tobacco. I agree with McQueen - more rum than vanilla. But great flavor in the smoke. No tongue bite, but it has a mild spice to it. I smoke it in medium and large bowls, bent and straight pipes. Seems to stay lit and for me is a good any time of day smoke. But I like it in the mornings especially. Great with black tea and cream. Kind of moist in the tin. Gets a bit better with a little dry time. I highly recommend and I'll buy more.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)

I was very excited to try this blend. The aroma I find is more of a cakey rum type than vanilla and so I think after trying several bowls that I'm going to age it and revisit. I don't think this is a superior 'vanilla' but it is sweet and cakey so others may enjoy it. I found it a bit heavy and as another reviewer put it it seemed artificial rather than a smooth natural flavor but am hoping with age it'll be way better. I would not buy again but rather try to find that perfect vanilla and move on to another brand or blending of vanilla...I know it's out there.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another tobacco I picked up for a blind taste test, obviously from someone who did not know I had smoked as much of the Vanilla Cream Flake as I could stand (not much) and found it extremely boring and mildly foul. This one I guessed correctly, even though it was the loose cut. Same antiseptic artificial vanilla taste, same bland hot air, same lack of true tobacco taste.

I do like the fact that it burns cleanly and without goop. I just wish it had a more natural vanilla flavor, and more of it. If an aromatic isn't going to taste like tobacco with a mild flavoring, then let it have some flavor of some kind, for pete's sake! But like a lot of Mac Baren blends, this one is all about the aroma at the expense of taste. I know they can make flavorful blends because I've had some. This one, in my opinion, isn't one of them. Recommended for...er...ah...um... the people that already like it, I guess!

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know, I must have a bad batch, because when I open the pouch all I smell is playdough. Yes, playdough. I purchased one pouch and received 2 more as gifts, probably because they saw I already had one. The smoke did not taste of vanilla, it was pretty lousy. I thought it must just be this batch, maybe it was on the store shelf too long, but no, I opened another pouch and had the same experience. I found it burned hot and gave some tongue bite. Not a fan of this. I much preferred Brighams Own Blend and Black Cavendish for getting a good shot of vanilla among other flavours. I digress, I've moved on. Maybe I'll like the flake better.

TopHat14 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TopHat14 (1)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This was recommended to as an easy beginners tobacco. This tobacco was so bland and harsh that it turned me off pipe smoking for a year.

I was extremely disappointed after the great aroma that wafted out when i opened the pouch. I had alot of difficulty getting this tobacco to light properly and it would usually only burn one side of the bowl. I bought this at a corner store so im wondering if was just ancient and entirely stale. Luckily I finally moved on to a higher quality tobacco and am happily smoking now.

Just another vanilla-flavored tobacco, and not a remarkable one. Not bad either, but there are plenty of aromatics I'd choose over this one.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again on a vanilla blend...this is half way between a full chemical flavored blend and a good one. Some better vanilla flavor is present and some Virginia taste too. But something in the humidity/flavor additives makes my tongue sick bowl after bowl even if it doesn't show any legendary MB bite....I smoke it rather dry cause getting it wet it seems to worse the result. It is once again somewhat recommended but Ill advice you to choose Sweet Vanilla Honeydew instead, just having the care of puffin slowly. There you can find some natural and never overwhelming vanilla and honey and still taste excellent virginia weed.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Good for those that like Vanilla. The vanilla doesn't mask the tobacco but it is applied with a heavy hand.

I enjoyed it and will give it 4 solid start for being a quality aromatic, but it is not for me.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Very sweet and tasty nice smell and fantastic room note I love it

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Vanilla Cream … First off, I do smoke some aromatic blends, those that taste something like tobacco, but IMHO this blend has way too many non tobacco flavorings added to it, to be considered anything but a novelty smoke. Your opinion may vary.

FuBar343 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FuBar343 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my everyday tobacco right now. I just love the tast and the room note is amazing. Can give some tough bite if smoked to fast. Its what I like to call a sipper. But its a great choice when around people, or even for your first time

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

this blend is sweet but not to sweet its lacks vanilla flavor but not vanilla aroma in the tin as well as in the room note can bite if smoked to fast......its not that i dont like it i just dont care for sweet tobaccos but if your into captain black this stuff may be for you but not for me

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

There isn't anyone... who could convince me that this blend isn't a bright one. It is surely THE vanilla flavored blend of choice and so far the only one for me... LOL. It does misbehave and bite the person that smokes it... a bit. But it's worth it. I most definitely will be keeping a tin of this nearby.

Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely tin and room aromas, but while there's lots of ('creamy') smoke, there's not a lot of taste. Still, what there is, is v pleasant and not overly sweet.

SakamotoFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SakamotoFan (12)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Too much foo foo vanilla flavor. I feel like I should be wearing a dress while smoking this stuff. It's like someone lit 20 cheap vanilla candles they got from the dollar store in a small room.

Not the "vanilla cream" I was expecting.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

Ahhh not sure about this one guys theres not much Vanilla maybe a hint but its way in the background. Its pretty bland to me try it if you want but you might be disappointed since the tin smells so much like vanilla but you dont get much vanilla flavor. There are much better vanilla aromatics out there and much better blends with the mac baren family to try. If it changes ill update but i dont think it will

Spencer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spencer (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had been looking forward to trying this blend for a while and upon opening the pouch the vanilla aroma was there. Packed it into a straight falcon which I use soley for aromatics and lit up. To begin with the taste was almost none existant but after a few puffs a sweet vanilla taste comes through. Try not to draw too heavily on this stuff as it will bite and become quite harsh. A tobacco to be taken gently to appreciate the flavours. The room note isn't bad either.Recently I mixed this 50/50 with the Three nuns and the two complemented each other well.

castello man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
castello man (13)

I love aromatics, but I'm just not digging this one. I hardly get ANY vanilla at all, the taste overall is unremarkable and in a way rather harsh, and the room note is nothing special. Gotta figure out what to do with the rest of the 100 gr tin.

rocketflem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocketflem (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad... but it's kind of blah, blah, blah. It mild enough... but like an earlier reviewer said "it burns my throat," and for what? It reminds me of when I used to smoke cigarettes. Pipe tobacco should be tasty. This one's just blah.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

Well, not sure what MacBaren is putting in their tobaccos, but this one is yet another example of a tobacco that irritates my throat, and is essentially flavorless.

Also, my wife had already gone off to bed, so I wasn't able to get her thoughts on the room note. However, the "aroma" that I smelled was anything but pleasant. Certainly nothing that smelled like vanilla, just as there was no vanilla to be detected in the flavor.

At the rate I'm going with these tinned aromatics, I'm thinking of just sticking with English blends.

Mel1721L Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mel1721L (2)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

New to smoking, this is the first tobacco I bought. I'm having problems with tongue bite, but that is probably more to do with me being a beginner. When I switched it from a briar to a corncob pipe, I got more of the flavour, less bite, but still some. I think I will persevere with this one and will buy it again.

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

For me it's favourite Vanilla tobacco. Not so "light" as "choices" line. Usual i smoke it in the morning with tea or coffee after breakfast. Sweet start for every day.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It seems that i've been on a MacBaren kick these days, trying out many of their blends and deciding which to keep as a permanent blend to my daily rotation. This blend earns a full four stars because of its taste and delightful aroma and worthy as an all day smoke. It packs just enough of the vanilla flavoring to keep me interested bowl after bowl without growing tired or weary from too much of a good thing. I never tire of its delightful smoke and am considering buying several pounds of it to keep on hand. I love this stuff and have found myself wanting more, much more.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

The pouch aroma made me drool. Almost litterally.

Smoking it was another story. It quickly became bland ans the pouch aroma was gone.

I bought the Vanilla flake in a tin, recently. I can't wait to find out the result...

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Based on some of the 4 star reviews, and based on the tin-note, I was dying for this to be a rocket ship experience.

It was not. My search for a legitimate and consistent aromatic continues.

I will stretch and give it a 2.5 out of 5 stars. Here is what I had to do to get Vanilla Cream to be a 2.5:

My best pipe. Loose pack. Minimal draw on lighting and relighting (no gulping during lights). Sipping and savoring during the smoke. Small bowl of it. Didn't smoke the last 10%.

I will now cellar it, and come back to it later. If I find an aromatic that is better, it will never be in my cellar again.

Smokingmiami Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokingmiami (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good tin aroma and easy to pack. To mild of a smoke for me so I stared to puff a little more but still not my type of smoke. Tends to burn a little hot so I can see why some got tounge bite. It almost bit me since I was puffing to much, but I already learned my lesson with these Mac Barens.

staindjason Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
staindjason (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This smells great inside the tin, maybe im packing it wrong but it smokes really hot, so hot u taste smoke not vanilla or tobacco. I use the frank method for most tobaccos and it works fine but maybe the ribbon cut needs special packing?

UPDATE: Since last review i have a new packing method i learned, Macbaren and most ribbon cuts require very loose packing. It smoked great and didnt burn so hot, I actually had a great vanilla aftertaste AWESOME TOBACCO

madness Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
madness (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Wonderful aromatic with great taste, incredible room note and quite gentle and sweet for the palate and others around you. No bite (if you don't exaggerate), no gurgling, great aftertaste. My favorite vanilla and the main player in my rotation. For the aromatics fan 4 stars, for everyone else is still a must try.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my second and last trial of Mac Baren products. Burns hot, (no I am not puffing to hard), bites and has a harshness I will not tolerate. Flavor is typical for the genre, not exceptional, just middle of the road. What remains is currently killing beetles on another rose bush.

Also, the tins are cheap and rust out quickly.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Was expecting a stronger vanilla aroma to be honest. Very mild smoke though can bite if puffed too quickly.

Dissapointing. Wanted more vanilla essence than I got..

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had been looking forward to my first bowl of what, on the face of it, looks and smells everything a quality aromatic should.

It is a nice looking black and ginger tobacco perhaps a little on the dry side to the touch.

My first bowl was a real disappointment. There was no taste of Vanilla. Indeed I could detect no taste at all. It did not burn particualrly well either, until about halfway through when it became a good slow-burner alas without taste.

I thought my taste buds had deserted me at this point, and now after several bowls of this supposed aromatic it's actually started to bite me leaving me with a mouth drier than my son's toothbrush.

Mrs RH has made no complaint about fragrance but hasn't declared it foul either.

In conclusion, a good looking though totally tastless smoke, promising and great deal yet failing to deliver.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a must try for aromatic fans! assuming you like the flavor of vanilla. i love it so much... i'm craving for more. One of the best room-notes an aromatic can deliver. it's sweet, it's vanilla topnotch! case closed. I'm going to buy me another pouch! right now! ;)

** Stars for Aromatic-Fans!

Bazsup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazsup (13)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As an aromatic smoker, I looked forward to giving this a try as I have read many positive reviews. The tin aroma was terrific upon oppening. It was rich a sweet and seemed edible. The moisture content was fine. It took a light easily and never displayed a bite even with my abuse.

I have to admit however, through no fauly of MacBaren it just didn't taste as great as I'd hoped. As a matter of fact, the further I got through the tin the less interested I was. I don't know, maybe I am just attention deficit when it comes to tobaccos. I recommend it to vanilla lovers. I will smofe it again probably. I guess it was a seven or eight and I am still on the elusive search for the tobacco ten.

ark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ark (9)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Solid Aromatic. Very moist out of the tin, needs 30-45 minute dry time. Fair amount of tongue bite, tastes good, smokes smooth. I enjoy this quite a bit. Of the few vanilla blends i tried, this was my favorite

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)

Not a bad aromatic, burns hot, smells a bit like University Flake, not as good as, but one hell of a lot cheaper. I didn't care too much for it. Try Mac Baren's Club Blend, that really is quite a good smoke and a superior example from this house.

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)

Initially, I was skeptical to pick up another vanilla flavored aromatic (having tried quite a few), but this one took me completely by surprise.

As with most Mac Barens - this is another fine example of blending at its best and will certainly feature most regularly in my arsenal.

The tobacco boasts one of the loveliest colors, highest quality of tobacco, and a superb and mild aroma in the tin, that wafts up directly into the olfactory tracts as one opens it.

The tobacco fills up quite easily and immediately defines the mood for one of the most relaxing smokes available and augments the room note subtly but surely.

Its equivalent in the musical genre can only be classified as very smooth jazz!

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I really hate to leave a bad review so I'll state that I'm not out to bash on Mac baren but here just to give MY thoughts on this blend which obviously some others agree and some do not. I bought a tin of this based on the good reviews and I have to say I was dissapointed. First off in the tin, the aroma is nice but different than many other vanillas not a bad thing, just something I noticed. The actual tobacco is very nice looking in color and the mix of texture. It was also pretty dry for an aromatic. Maybe some rubbing out would be needed for the bigger chunks. Packing wasn't bad, but keeping this blend lit was a nightware, even in a few different pipes. I admit that I'm not a seasoned smoker, but I do smoke other blends with no problem. When it WAS smoking, the flavor came through with a very mild, subtle sweetness and not very much vanilla at all. It also seemed to burn hot, It had some bite. It just never really seemed to open up and develop anything for my taste buds. It felt and tasted creamy, but the smoke was thin and left an aftertaste. To put it the best I can I would consider this to be a classic smoke more suited to the exerienced pipe smoker who developed a taste for more of the tobaccos hinted with a bit of sweetness and knows what he can expect from this. I guess being younger and new to pipe smoking I am on the other side of the spectrum and may lean more towards the casing flavor or smoking something that taste just like it smells. I will say that I feel the tobaccos and flavors are quality, just not what I was looking for. I found it to be bland, and tasteless smoke and not what I thought it would be. I have no desire to even try it again and my full tin will go to waste. Hope this helps someone looking into trying this tobacco. I will not bash on any tobacco since all of our tastes and likings are different but you won't get a recomendation from me and it simply did nothing for me.

elvis.p Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elvis.p (1)

Enjoying MacBaren's 'mixture' very much I decided try their Vanilla. Boy, was I disappointed. WAY too hot-burning and tongue-biting. Did not notice any vanilla sweetness either. It was only the smell that I enjoyed. For the record, tobacco had been bought in Germany.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Vanilla with no issues such as goop, gumminess, bite, or bitterness. Not much tobacco kick, might get more eating it. People love the room aroma when it is being smoked, but it doesn't give the smoker, or at least this smoker, as much enjoyment. If you are an aromatic lover, try it.

thewoodlandgardener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thewoodlandgardener (6)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Fed up with hearing the Mantra "Tongue Bite" from those who do not practice proper smoking technique, I wholeheartedly recommend this SUPERB tobacco that excels in taste, and room note. Since its inception, I have not had a day at an outdoor cafe pass by, wherein someone has not stopped to comment on the wonderful aroma from my pipe tobacco.

In my own experience since 1985, I have been obliged to view so-called 'tongue bite' as the FAULT of the smoker (improper packing, rushing, furious sucking &c.), rather than the tobacco; and certainly, there is something truly amiss in ANY reports of 'bite' from this mild tobacco.

Vanilla Cream Video at: youtube.com/user/MrPLivingstone/

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A very pleasant aromatic. I didn't notice the tounge-bite that some reviewers have experienced, but I tend to smoke very slowly. I have been particularly impressed by he compliments that I have received from non-smokers on the aroma.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The best vanilla aromatic I encountered sofar. Really has a creamy 'real' vanilla taste, very little bite I you take it easy.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I must agree with "Tantric" below me whole heartedly. I tried this due to reading his review. It was good, just a bit too much vanilla all at once. This is better than all OTC Drug Store blends by far. It is of quality tobacco and has a great room note that doesn't offend. Price can seem a bit steep depending on where you get it. This Vanilla Creme did not burn real wet like many aromatics. That is my biggest gripe on aromatics. It also was not sticky. When I opened the tin, I found it moist and easily smokable. I never throw anything out and as it seems, this mixed awesome with Lanes Very Chery Cavendish. It seemed to mellow both of them out immensely. This blend is good, I just like it more now that I mixed these. Don't be afraid to play around mixing tobaccos that "almost" work for you. You may come up with your daily smoke!

j4nier38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j4nier38 (9)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a nice aromatic that still has a good tobacco taste behind it. I like that and the fact that its not cased like mad and overly sweet, or goopy, or anything but a simple aromatic. But it can bite quite a bit if not smoked right so only three of four stars, but overall a good aromatic.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)

If one likes an aromatic with vanilla taste, this is a nice one. I have rated it 3 stars for those who like this kind of blend. For me, it is a nice change of pace since I prefer more English/Oreitnal blends but occasionally, I like to have a break and try something radically different. I usually always smoke these aromatics out of a meerschum and this was no exception. Not only does it cool the smoke which tends to be a bit hot, it is a good ooportunity to add some color to the pipe. This did not burn as hot as many aromatics that I have tried. It had a wonderful room note and if one is on a diet and is not eating dessert, might want to consider this creamy smoke. For me, I will keep it around for an occasional smoke when I want a complete break from latakia.

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (9)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

this one suits well to my early morning cup of black coffee. The only problem is the absence of nicotine but for the start of the day is not bad at all. Focusing now on its characteristics the vanilla aroma is combined with honey and earthy notes and the tobacco taste is also there yeah is something different with a unique personality contrary to other vanilla tobaccos. The taste is sweet but empty (vanilla honey is there, but no nicotine). In addition, it does not bite when using the carbon filter and I believe is a high quality aromatic. I will probably mix it with some latakia because I like after smoking not to grave for more?or to feel hungry ================= After the second packet I thing there is no honey flavour at all its plain vanilla with a creamy flavor. But also earthy notes with natural tobacco. i also see that something happens to my throat after smoking this it fells dry, anyway i might need time to adjust... I will also put another star because I started really appreciate this bacco, I really like the taste I have devoted one pipe to it and it will become one of my regular morning smoking. I have some plain latakia for blending but I ll rather not mix it since this is too aromatic for latakia blending

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As a person of mostly English tastes, I digress to aromatics once in a while. Mac Baren is supposedly synonomous with quality, and with aromatics. I purchased this tin in the hopes of not being disappointed with this, and I wasn't. This is a good quality tobacco that burns well, is light, well cased, and if smoked properly will not bite. It also did not leave any goo in the bottom of my bowl. Make sure you use a stictly aromatic pipe for this because it does linger. I will smoke the rest of this tin, and probably go back to Mac Baren for another aromatic blend after that. A good quality aromatic.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)

A danish, dutch, lets call it european style toasted cavendish with a pleasant vanilla flavor. The vanilla is not overwhelming by any means. For this reviewer all of these european toasted cavendish?s burn hot. With all the heat, this would never be an all day smoke but only an occasional experience

Gerry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gerry (4)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

This MacBaren disappointed me! It charred up bitter and after several charring lights is was still bitter! Approx. after 2/3s of the bowl was finished did the bitter disolve away. In my estimation this tobacco does not compare to other major vanillas on the market today. A bad investment on my part.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

For those of you put off by the flake varient of this tobacco, take heart! This is a thoroughly well-balanced and well-behaved aromatic blend possessing a fine, albeit light, vanilla aroma (room note), which can be a plus in the wife/girlfriend arena. May burn a bit hot at first, but take your time with this one or dry it out a bit if it seems too moist for you. A couple of steps above the average vanilla-cased aromatic, and worth the attention of aromatic tobacco afficonados.

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)

Well, finally I found some "vanilla" mixture that besides the vanilla flavour has some "tobacco" on it. Very pleasant smoke, with a very nice and balanced room note. It burns nicely with no fuss at all. So far the best "vanilla" I have smoked and will continue to smoke it.

221b Baker St. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221b Baker St. (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is great, between this and the Scottish mix I am in smoke heaven. This has a heavenly light sweet aroma and taste. I think this deserves 5 stars. If you like vanilla and aromatic tobacco you will love this. I am going to order a five lbs bag when I find it.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is not a great tobacco, but it's far from being a bad tobacco, either.

Upon opening the pouch, one is welcomed by a very nice loose cut of golden, brown and black leaves, accompanied by an outstanding vanilla aroma that will cool down over the first week.

When lighting up, the dominant taste is the vanilla casing, with, actuallly, some real tobacco taste in the background. My taste buds were slightly harassed for half a minute or so, and it cooled down. Good.

If smoked properly, it will behave and smoke rather dry till the end.

of course, being an aromatic, you have interest to let it dry properly to prevent it from being gooey in the pipe.

For a vanilla bakkie, not bad at all. I won't smoke it regularly, but this one will suit the aromatic lover.

YoungPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungPuffer (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Now this is what a good vanilla aromatic is supposed to taste like. Not overpowering, just perfect. I absolutley love this fine MB blend, they have really outdone themselves on this one. I always look forward to smoking this blend.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Medium Full Tolerable

Although I am not so fond of MacBaren aromatics I have to say that Vanilla Cream Loose cut is a very good aromatic. Packs and burns well, smells and tastes great and you don?t get this chemical taste like most aromatics do. Vanilla taste is in the background leaving a sugary, mouthfully taste to appear first. It is a very good treat with a nice cup of black coffee. Not for puffing all day though?

tim_up_north Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tim_up_north (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

Surely one of the top Vanilla aromatics going.

I really enjoy this blend, but it runs a wee hot, and with such a strong flavour for me, I smoke it light rotation. If smoked gentley, bite can be avoided.

Classic aroma, and pleasant to those around.

There are tobaccos that that wrap up this essence of their heritage, and this one never fails to firmly say to me: Dansk!

I always keep a few tins on hand, and no plainer endorsment can be had.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

One of my favorite tobaccos, part of my permanenet rotation. I mean if you like aromatics. Now if you're keen to vanilla aromatics this is pure heaven!. It's very creamy, the vanilla is quite noticeable but not overwhelming, and it keeps a subtle tobacco aftertaste which I Love. It's slightly more tobaccoish and stronger than the Peter Stokkerbye Gold and Sweet vanillas. Not recommended for the non aromatic smoker, for the rest uf us, I suggest at least giving it a try.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

=========Update========= After learning the arcane secrets of smoking MacBaren- I can now honestly say- Good Tasty Stuff. The Virginias are sweet, and the flavor of Vanilla is like a gourmet Vanilla, not your run of the mill. Love the taste, the room is wonderful. The bite is now not a worry- and you can just dwell in the 3 dimensional smoke. Flavor lasts to the heel..... Recomended for those that don't like aromatics....Try it and you might....

Well I foolishly thought my previous experiences with MacBaren were just a case of inexperience. That my swollen and blistered tongue had somehoe grown a thicker, more asbestous lining. I was wrong. Tasted great. Burned my mouth to a cinder. If you can do it gentle reader- I'm sure this would be a great blend. If MacBlowtorch has cooked you in the past- SAve yourself. Just my humble 2 cents.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (17)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Psst... Over here...The word on the street is you don't like aromatics right? well let me clue you in on one "Vanilla Cream... wait wait.. hear me out. To tell ya the truth I don't care for a lot of'em myself. Believe me, you owe it to yer self to try this. Its a colorful blend of loose cut tobaks mixed with cut plugs made from Virginias with modern cavendesh then blended with a real good vanilla flavor...Yummy!!! Did I mention its looks? With the yellows, black and reds Very attractive Not like a lot of Aromatic that looks like soggy coffee grounds. I know ya are reluctant But have I ever stired ya wrong. Trust me you will not be dissapointed and pleasenty surprised and that is before you light up. WELL... believe you me You will be even more pleased when ya do. A smoke that is not for wusseys but still pleasent and a real crowd pleaser with the aroma! So grab ya self a handfull and get back with me on yer thoughts!.... Pass it on!

hoo-boy

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I think that this is one of the best aromatic blend.

If you are looking for a tasteful smoke you should try it. Especially new smokers...

Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great smoke...especially if you're already prone to aromatics.

For starters, you can't beat the room note. Depending on who you ask, the aroma is anything from freshly baked cookies, to spice cake, to bread pudding, to a nice vanilla candle.

For the smoker, the vanilla taste does come through quite nicely. Not as strong as the tin aroma or room note would imply, but it is quite flavorful. It is definitely sweet though, so if you aren't one to enjoy a very sweet aromatic, you'll want to stay away (and hope you can find a friend who'll smoke it while you enjoy the aroma!)

Like many MacBaren blends, this one can bite...its not as bad as number of other MacBaren blends, mind you, but you still need to smoke patiently and pay attention to the heat of the burn, else it will sneak up on you.

This is probably a bit too sweet for an all day smoke, but is a good first smoke or a good late night smoke to wind down with...definitely one worth keeping on hand.

Shadowfax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shadowfax (4)

Over the past year I have had numerous trials with Vanilla cream which were mostly unsuccessful. Yet the aroma of the tobacco is unbelievably delicious. So I kept thinking how could a tobacco like this not taste quite as it smells. My trials ended up mostly in vain and I did not get the taste I have long been desiring. Only today I believe I have succeeded. The key was the packing,the slow puffs and the pipe I dedicated for it. It all comes down to this in the end really; the technique in which one packs the pipe and the slow burning of the tobacco. It was a dream experience which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I only hope that I can continue to pack it that well again in the future to get a chance to go through this delicious experience again.

An update for Mr, rajabalak

Well Mr. rajabalak, based on your request I am really hoping to be helpful and ýexplain the technique I used for packing. Packing has many different schools and ýtrends I believe, there are also artists out there I am sure, and I am sorry to say I am ýstill not there yet, but I have had a break through with my recent experience with this ýtobacco Mac Baren Vanilla Cream noted here in the review above. First start by ýgrabbing as much tobacco between your two fingers and gently rest it upon the shaft ýof the pipe, then gently start pocking the exterior of the pipe to allow the tobacco to ýfall freely as it may inside, do not use the tamper yet. Then have another go repeating the ýsame step again, now you can use the tamper but gently without the slightest tightness ýhint, just enough to allow for more room for another go of the same initial step. Keep ýrepeating this until you are satisfied with the amount of tobacco you inserted and then ýmake one last tamp not very tight but tighter than the previous ones, tight enough that ýyou feel the top tobacco layer is kind of springy. Light the flare and don?t over burn ýyour mounted layer as if you are letting it take a deep breath just to relax the top layer. ýIf it dims relight it again but make sure you don?t get that first layer overly burnt. I ýhope this will be of some use to you and that it will be helpful with your trials. Don?t ýforget there are numerous other ways out there, just take your time and enjoy the ýdiscovery and hopefully you will then find that taste that you are hoping to get out of ýthis rich aromatic tobacco. ý

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I generally agree with the very good impressions of the aromatic lovers that tried this tobacco. It really tastes vanilla until the end of the smoke; wihtout giving the bad notes that often can be found in low-quality aromatics once the casing has gone. On some occasions I also detected the eggs-like flavour that you can enjoy eating a good home-made vanilla ice-cream. It smokes good in all the occasions, and keeps a good taste even if smoked after a very long time from the first opening.

rajabalak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rajabalak (4)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Highly recommended for aromatic and social smokers, I got coutless good commends in the pubs, majority of them from women! So, load it up with your pipe, you have got all the confidence you can get! p/s one woman asked me "pls smoke this tobacco again".

Mr. Shadowfax, could you share your technique with us.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Update=======================================================

I've got to downgrade the Vanilla Cream a star. This tin is never gonna end.

===============================================================

Let me first say that I am not an aromatic smoker--I tend to gravitate towards Latakia heavy blends--but I do love trying as many new tobaccos as I can get my hands on.

I went ahead with this one on the strength of the reviews found here. I've been searching for a decent aromatic that could deliver a unique taste but that is both strong in punch and absent of any bite. This fills most of those requirements with near ideal satisfaction, other than my desire for a fairly heavy tobacco.

The presentation in the tin couldn't get any more appealing. I found a beautiful blend ranging from bright orange Virginias to black Cavendish tobaccos--both ribbon cut and a plentiful assortment of what seemed to be chopped flakes (I assume these are those cut plugs Mac Baren mentions in the description). The smell out of the tin was unbelievably warm and satisfying with the tobacco still managing to break through from the applied topping.

Some mentioned that the flavoring didn't quite have that Vanilla taste they were expecting, and I will say that is true, but--it's important to remember that cherry and grape gum also taste nothing like their natural counterparts. I find that most aromatics tend to display their flavor throughout the first half of the bowl, and rarely last until the end. In my opinion, Vanilla Cream falls into that line. I won't complain, however, because I prefer it that way, and some with more attuned senses will likely disagree.

Of the few aromatics that I've smoked, I found this to be the one most lacking in bite. If you've tried Blue Note and can't get through a bowl without a blistering tongue, I think you'll be much relieved to smoke this.

I wouldn't buy Vanilla Cream again simply because the tobacco just isn't full enough, but I would certainly recommend it to all aromatic smokers and to any non-aromatic smoker who finds it necessary to please innocent bystanders when the need arises.

Four out of Five.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I purchased this some time ago and at first was very dissapointed. You see, I have a hard time smoking danish type blends as I think I smoke them too fast and they get too hot for my taste. Having returned to this upon comming accross the tin in my collection, and remembering how much my wife and daughters loved the room note and smell of the tobacco I tried again. Being cautious not to puff to hard and savour the tobacco properly I discovered I had a real jewl here after all. I'm sorry I didn't give more of a chance when i first purchased it. good choice when smoked with care.

ollievon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ollievon (8)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As the other reviewers have noted this MacBaren blend does lead to curiosity and satisfaction. The minute you open the tin the smell of Vanilla exudes and one hopes it will taste as good as it smells. The cut is nice and is easy to pack a really long lasting bowl. Lighting was not difficult and it stayed lit almost through the entire smoke. The smell was excellent and again, as read in my other reviews, if you have a wife this is another sure thing!

The one thing noticed is that it smells great but there is almost nothing in the taste department. Compared to such blends as Peterson's Sweet Killarny or Van Rensellear, MacBaren Vanilla is the lightest smoke I've had yet. I did not see this as a negative, but actually a positive! My father and I both agreed that this tobacco is the perfect smoke before a meal, not too strong to effect the palate, yet pleasing when in need of smoke to just fulfill the urge. I encourage anyone who is thinking about a lighter smoke before a meal and concerned about pleasing those around you when you do smoke, this is it!

Oh yeah, the tin size is very generous compared to Petersons, so it is worth the price (approx. $11.00).

RochesterPipeWorks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RochesterPipeWorks (3)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Funky looking tin contents , lots of different shades mostly ribbonned with some chunks of flake thrown in - A+ for presentation - the pong? ... well what can I say that has not been said already? Reminds me of cake shops when I was a child; wouldnt call it vanilla or cream tho,tho I find the cream aspect present in the aftertaste,more a kinda fruit melange. You can taste tobacco ,kinda sorta, along with a lot of sauce and topping,which is ok , as a change ,(for the audience too - who seem to appreciate its aroma more than the english blends that take up most of the space in my cellar). In conclusion then I use it 'socially' alongside Petersons Sweet Kilarny as a crowd pleaser, when I'm in an unfamiliar company (everywhere else people put up with the Dunhills)

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I'm gonna weigh in here an give a thumbs up for this selection. As an aromatic smoker I've tried a lot of different blends through the years. This blend is very nice in both flavor and room note. The wife gave this one the green light as pleasing. It's sweet smoking mixture that burns cool, which is something I don't always find in Macbaren's or aromatics. The flavor holds well through the whole bowl as well as staying dry. Excellent choice.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The taste is delicious, creamy and full. Even the tobacco-taste is very good. But, fellas, do not smoke this too fast. The holes in your tongue will prove that if smoked too fast. But smoking this with slow puffs (will need a relight now and then) it's taste is delicious! When you are an aromatic-lover grab a tin of this stuff and enjoy it.

DevilDog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DevilDog (5)

I don't usually smoke aromatics, but this is a good one for those few times when I do. It smokes relatively dry for an aromatic, smells good, and you can actually taste the tobacco. It's a nice change of pace from full-strength English blends. I like to keep a tin on hand.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent, quality tobacco with a good topping of Vanilla aroma. Beautiful scent, pouch/tin aroma is one of the best anywhere.

Charring light okay. A few more relights sets the train in motion. A wonderful, even a bit varied, creamy Vanilla aroma fills your mouth.

Puff. This is very fulfilling. You notice the quality tobacco underneath and in between, and immediately start enjoying the pleasant Vanilla aroma. Wonderful creamy-smooth and "full" smoke, excellent mouth feel in general. Excellent. No wonder this is highly ranked as a Vanilla aromatic and aromatic in general.

Some days this feels like just the thing, at other times it turns a noticeably flat by the last third. Then it's pretty one-dimensional; monochromatic, as commented by some reviewers. Then again, if you keep it as a party smoke, or just enjoy it at a bar, your drink keeps the taste varied. (Bailey's, sweet ciders, even beer are good to go with it).

Tends to need a few extra relights (maybe it's just me, smoking a wetter mixture than need be - a slight drying out could work well). Otherwise smokes fine almost to the very end.

Room note is just wonderful. Often, and favorably commented on by the House Bar crowd, even resulting in a few curious asking for a taste. Leaves an excellent, strong lingering Vanilla aroma in the room. A scent like aromatic candles, with hints of spiciness and even nuts. One that stays nice and doesn't turn stale too easily.

Tends to burn a bit, so going easy is recommended.

Used to smoke this one regularly, but have cut back as my rotation has given more and more space to straight Va. After a bit of a lull, this tastes even better than the first time. It took me nearly a year to get this review in, and I'm still happy and excited about this baccy.

Highly recommendable, especially as a creamy "dessert smoke", a crowd pleaser or when in the mood for a sweet smoke.

And again an update. After a month w/out smoking this seemed like a natural comeback baccy. Very satisfying and as I go along, there seems to be less and less tongue burn each time I've resurrected this blend into the regular rotation. (Now it's back in rotation). Decent smoke, and brilliant in a crowd.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)

Upon opening a newly acquired tin, my nose detected similarities between this and China Black Vanilla Burley. Fortunately the similarities end there. I smoked this in a Velani Executve Bulldog shape with a slight bent form. Its one of the few pipes I have dedicated to aromatics if you belive in dedicating pipes to blends. The initial light was easy the topping noticable but not overly so. The virginia componant is noticeable at various stages of the smoke and the vanilla blends well into the flavors. This blend did indeed burn without the telltale gurgle sometimes associated with aromatics however I did use a pipecleaner during the smoke to remove black tars which while somewhat dry still manage to accumulate quite a bit. The bowl burned completely to a white ash. I will keep a tin of this on hand however I dont expect it to change much over time.

TxLawman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TxLawman (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of my favorite blends and I'm never without a tin or two. It is smooth and creamy, never harsh, and burns well. In the tin, it is quite lovely with it's various colors and textures. In the pipe, it tastes much the same as it smells in the tin. Cream soda... Mmmmm... It smokes fairly slowly with an average number of relights and, for me, a pipe cleaner or two. Leaves a tiny dottle and grey, granular ash. My lovely wife likes the room note, but says there's really not a lot. My only (minor) complaint would be a slight tendency to bite greedy, impatient puffers like myself. Highly recommended!

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

as i write this review i`m smoking my third bowl today of this great tobacco.i`m a newbie to pipe smoking and have been trying different aromatic tobaccos.i heard about this tobacco from some vetran pipe smokers and i`m glad i listened to them.this tobacco smells great in the tin and even better while snoking it. it does have a little bite i think, but this might be because i`m new to smoking.i loved the taste of it from the first bowl i smoked.it smokes clean and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl.the wife and kids love the aroma.i just ordered my secound tin yesterday.if your looking for a great tasting,great smelling aromatic tobacco this is the one. i will keep this one on hand at all times!

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

It seems like everyone who blends aromatics seems to have at least one obligatory vanilla black cavendish blend. I don't know why. Is vanilla to black cav what mustard is to bratwurst?

Vanilla Cream Loose cut is MacBaren's entry in this category. And it is probably one of the best I have tried. Now, I am not really a fan of vanilla, but I feel an obliged to try vanilla black cavs, when I encounter them 'cause... well... there must be some reason they are so popular. VC is a winner IMO. It does manage to burn a bit hot -interesting for a blend with so much cavendish-- but is IS after all a MacBaren. (Why do they seem to have a lock on tongue-bite-in-a-tin?) The blend was too moist straight out of the tin (I should have known better) and smokes cooler with a little drying , but the nip is still there, especially after 2-3 consecutive bowls.

In VC's favor it DOES have a good tobacco taste that is not hidden underneath a cloyingly sweet casing. The flavoring and sweetening is tastefully done in that MacBaren way.(Americans could take a lesson form the Danes on how to make aromatics.) All in all, an all-too-rare smokable vanilla black cav.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Being not a huge fans of heavy aromatics I gave Vanilla Cream a try after hearing that you could actually taste tobacco in it and not just topping.

My first experience with VC tasted like I'd packed my pipe with cotton candy. Thinking rather nasty thoughts about the one that reccomended it to me I tossed it into a mason jar to sit for awhile.

A week later I decided to give it another shot and was somewhat surprised to find the experience nowhere near as horrible as the first time I'd tried it. My body chemistry must have changed a bit because while the flavour was sweet, wait! was that tobacco peeking through in the background? It was! I could definatly taste the flavour of Virginia there.

The tobacco burned well it lit well and stayed lit tamping occasionally. No tongue bite and it burned to the bottom of the bowl steadily tasting more and more like virginia.

As I stated before I'm not a huge fan of the aromatics, but this is a good one when you're around people you don't want to offend (like your in-laws)and you really can taste tobacco in there. No small feat for such a sweet smelling blend. A must have for aromatic lovers and a good standby for those of us who dabble occasionally.

TnT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnT (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I'm in the mood for an aromatic, this is one of the blends I turn to. It burns clean and dry and offers a pleasant change.

I like to break the seal on the tin and let it sit for about a week with the top on, but true lovers of aromatics will probably not see the need to air this one out.

musicalspirit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicalspirit (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say, except, WONDERFUL!. Being fairly new to pipe smoking, and still smoking cigarettes, I am just starting to find my way through all the wonderful aromas, and taste. But I was first sent a sample by a friend who thought I might like to try it. After my sample ran out, I quickly ordered 2 tins of it! When opening the tin, the note is wonderful, almost reminding me of carmel. After packing it (and please remember, I smoke cigarettes, so I tend to pack my pipes loosely) and lighting it up, I was in heaven, well not really, but it sure seemed that way. The room note was very nice, even my wife noted how nice it was. In my opinion, this is a keeper, I will tell you to slow down a bit with this to prevent bite as with all Virginias, but ne'er the less, very nice, a keeper.

cklemp100 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cklemp100 (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I have been trying quite a few new tobaccos as of late, most of which have been heavily reviewed on this site. So I have felt that one more similar review was unnecessary. But this tobacco has driven me to comment.

I purchased this tin because of the reviews that I had read here earlier this week. I opened it immediately after geting in the car. the tin odor was wonderfully vanilla. vanilla fudge vanilla. the casing was deffinately heavy. but I did not let this stop me. I packed my first bowl very easily , and lit it. A rush of vanilla hit my tongue. There was not much tobacco flavor there. but I kept an open mind. as I drove the 45 minute drive home, I found that hints of sweet virginias started to shine through the thick casing, but never came to the for front , the casing held on throughout the bowl.

As for bite there is bite but it was the mildest biter that I have ever experienced in an aromatic it was only a slight distraction.

Over all this is a tobacco that will definately please the women and that is a nice change of pace from straight virginias, which have become my preference.

Deputy Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deputy Dawg (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut is an excellent tobacco. It has no bite, a great sweet tobacco taste, wonderful room note, and is easy and enjoyable to smoke. Lights and burns well. Great stuff.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

I gambled on this one. More curious then anything.

Tin aroma: The sweet aromas from a bakery.

Room aroma: My son says that it reminds him of Banana Nut Cake or some kind of muffins.

1st light to top 3rd or so: Vanilla, but not syrupy. More like a vanilla butter. Creamy like it's name implies.

Middle 3rd: Still a vanilla butter with a caramel/walnut essance.

Bottom 3rd: The VA kicks in gear and the vanilla, butter & caramel are in the distant background.

For someone who stays clear of candys; this one wasn't bad! ...The quality VA really saves this blend. ...The vanilla is not a syrupy candy. ...It's a nice butternut kind of taste.

This one can be smoked all day. ...A very good change of pacer.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)

I like to smoke this blend in a large bowl Meershaum or Corn Cobb Pipe. This is mostly a loose cut ribbon type tobacco with some broken flake mixed in. It is medium brown and black in color. The aroma upon openning a tin, for me, is deliciously sweet but not too sweet, with a very distinct creamy vanilla odor and notes of a plesant nuttiness. This tobacco is just about the right moisture right out of the tin. It's not as moist as most Mac Baren tobaccos but it certainly is not dry. It packs easily, burns clean, on the cool side and offers lots of creamy, smooth smoke. During the first half of a bowl the flavor is plesantly sweet with a very dominant Vanilla-Nut (Hazel/Cashew) flavor. Now and then I pick up another flavor which seems more like Caramel than Vanilla. The sweetness of the Virginias are barely noticable but they are there which gives this fine aromatic some complexity. I like to smoke a little on the fast side but not too fast. As a result, I do on occasion get bitten but never, ever with this blend. During the last half of a bowl, the Vanilla flavoring seems to disappear and then the Cavendish and the Virginias begin to fight for dominance. The sweetness of the Virginias have the edge but in a subtle way. The aftertaste is mild and plesant but hangs on for awhile. On a 1/5 scale, I rate this blend a 3.5.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I've always fancied vanilla-flavoured tobaccos, so naturally I picked up a pouch of this one by MacBaren. This is one tobacco that certainly lives up to its name: the smell from the pouch is very creamy, and perhaps the best comparison of it is to a vanilla-scented candle. Light that candle, and you get a sense of what it smells like when burning. Lick it, and... well, you've got a serious problem if you're licking your candles and tobacco.

The tobacco is of contrasting colours with a mellow-yellow hue to it and is a mix of loose cut with small bits of plug. As far as taste goes, it isn't subtle: a sweet creamy vanilla taste will fill your mouth from first to last. As someone who likes to drink cream and enjoys snorting the bottle of vanilla in my cupboard, I really do enjoy this tobacco.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

To date, my second choice in a vanilla aromatic and @ a lower unit price than others. I normally smoke straight VA flakes so this was quite a change but enjoyable especially when in company where I received several compliments on the aroma. Easy to keep lit and burned cool without the bite that I often experience from other aromatics. If you enjoy a heavily cased smoke give this a try.

Joshua Sasmor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joshua Sasmor (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been looking for the best vanilla blend I can find. My standard for this used to be C&D's Vanilla cavendish, but (due to a recent change in body chemistry and meds) I cannot stand that smoke anymore (and I used to love it!). So I have been working my way through newer vanilla blends and I find them. I was quite impressed with the quality of the tobacco used here; it wasn't the typical aromatic fodder. The flake that this tobacco used to be is still evident in the loose-cut version, and adds to the smoking by helping to control the burn. This is a very nice aromatic, but I find that the aroma is gone fairly quickly. However it leaves behind a fairly tasty, but monochromatic, tobacco behind the vanilla. I think that anyone upgrading from drugstore aromatics, but isn't ready for a truly "unflavored" tobacco will find this enjoyable. I recently used this, as Bear put it in his review of GLP's BC, as a party tobacco. Even my cousin, who isn't fond of smoking at all, enjoyed the smell and I enjoyed a tasty smoke.

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Strong

I recommend this blend if you are looking for a change-of-pace aromatic. The tobacco appears to be a rubbed out flake with noticeable bits of plug mixed in. The aroma upon opening the tin is eerily like that of Blue Note; indeed, I put a tin of BN and this side by side and I could detect very little difference. Vanilla Cream has, however, more real tobacco taste and punch than Blue Note and is an overall a more satisfying smoke. The topping maintains a strong presence throughout the smoke, only burning off near the very end. MacBaren's blends are often considered to be tongue-biters, but I found this relatively bite-free. Overall, this is a heavily flavored, but satisfying aromatic. I would recommend it to those who are looking to step up from Captain Black-type tobaccos or to smokers of non-aromatics who are looking for a little variety. This is sold in flake form in Europe, but unfortunately the flake is not available in the U.S..