A classic English with a beautifully refined flavor. Mature Virginia and Oriental tobaccos spiced with a pinch of latakia.

BrandDavidoff
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByOrlik Tobacco Company
FlavoringButter
BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.4

A nice, light latakia blend of predominately virginias and orientals. The color is mostly light with streaks of black and the cut is a ribbon - very easy to pack. I should also note that Davidoff gets high marks for presentation. The inner paper is of higher quality than most. It all looks very nice.

The tobacco taste is of sweet virginia with a sidebar of orientals, including a smallish dose of latakia. I'd call it soft, but in a good way. Reminds me vaguely of some other blends I've smoked but I can't put my finger on them. This is a good solid blend but doesn't really distinguish itself much. It's hardly what I would call complex, but it has a nice, steady flavor that does not disappoint. It could not be coaxed to bite but it does get harsh if overpuffed.

My biggest complaint about this one is the cost. But if that doesn't cross your eyes, give this a try. It's a good if not great blend that does nothing wrong but I didn't find it unique or tasty enough to make my rotation. For a blend named "Royalty", it seemed rather ordinary to me.

Now this is a pipe tobacco! I really liked the strength of the Virginia and sweetness of the Oriental. There's also a little bit of Latakia in the mix, but it stayed deep in the background. This is one of those blends that somehow ages beautifully. The older the better with Royalty!

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

Very good traditional english blend. If you are new to the world of english tobaccos, Royalty can really tell you what they are all about.

Oriental and virginia in the front, with latakia used as a condiment. Very middle of the road english blend. Many blends tend to favor certain component tobaccos, latakia, virginia, etc. Royalty is very well balanced and very medium in terms of strength and taste.

Like I said, if you are new to English tobaccos, this is a good starting place. work your way up or down in terms of strength to suit your tastes.

If you are an english fan, you will enjoy this as a very well blended perfectly balanced medium english blend.

Personally, most of the time I prefer something either heavier or lighter as opposed to right in the middle, but this tobacco definitely gets my reccomendation.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (43)

Throughout this website there are many references in reviews to cost of tobacco. Two observations -- first, I believe that cost and the tobacco review (especially the star allocation) should be as separate as church and state (and mentioned only as an adjunct), and second, for U.S. residents (I understand the problems of international shipment/duties) if you're clever enough to write a review on this site then you may just be clever enough to order tobacco online from any one of at least ten good e-tailers (5 of which are flashing ads at me while I type!). $30 for a tin?? Seriously?? Try $9 and see how much better Royalty tastes. It's very, very good. Pure butter (which they say is an added flavor -- whatever) which, if you've ever enjoyed a rich yet mellow English latakia blend, you'll know just what I mean. It's nothing short of edible. Oriental way ahead of the latakia without masking it, and orientals of very refined quality. Not the least bit bitter or puckerish. The underlying tobaccos are, to my taste, rich and very well farmed/cured/processed. Top marks for a great light English, and "light" only in the latakia sense -- it is big and round in a very understated way. D's Flake Medallions are delicious as well (and, apologies for ranting, even at the exorbitant online price of $10).

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I only needed to sniff the tin note o this a few times before going back to where I got it and nearly clearing out their stash.

Thinking of a word which you would not usually use for describing tobacco, which does this justice.

Regal? Maybe

Velvety? Yes, but not doing it enough justice.

Decadent? Yes, getting close

..................got it. This is OPULENTLY EXTRAVAGANT LUXURY.

How Davidoff produced this I will never know. Nothing else they do in pipes comes even though, and they come out of the woodwork with this stonker.

High quality English ingredients, but then it blows you away with a casing that not only works, its unique in how it works. The whole thing combines to resemble plumes of smoke that you could charge people to be around, the buttery finish making it almost a crossover blend, but it doesn't smell like an aro, the butter just adds a deliciously fat and needlessly overwhelming element of fullness to every single element, so its creamy Latakia, its rich and smooth VA, its smooth and creamy orientals, everything is covered in this glory.

Multiple tins getting stored, and I have enough to see me through a shortage.

A real winner - don't bother with the rest of the line though. Awful.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

First of all, this is a first rate tobacco. It is nothing more than its own blend. Not competing or asking for comparison to Dunhills or other domineering tobacco companies/blends. I rate it on its own.

I have found that this tobacco is one of my favorite anchor blends. It is a wonderfully spicy and smokey english blend. Yes, it is a little light on the Latakia, but it offers a wonderful campfire, smoke-lodge pleasure with its mature Virginia base. I have found that this blend shines in my large Brigham half-bent.

The blend is easy packing ribbon cut with lovely contrasting darks and bright Virginia with a balanced dash of Latakia and Oriental. It has a rounded, dense, mildly warm solace, regardless of its somewhat piquante room note. Sheer briar bliss, but not for the novice.

Last notes.... lichen-covered granite and fresh morning woods. This is a timeless blend, and is most definitly a recipe from a the early 1900's as it purports to be.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Even with the first bowl of Royalty I smoked I was blown away. Within the ocean of English mixtures, Royalty stands out for me. Mild in strength but full of flavor. It is rather subtle on the Latakia, which acts as a condiment to the sweet mature Virginias and the creamy, sweetly spicy Orientals both of which are the main players. Homogeneous taste with all elements balanced superbly.

Generally the Orientals are renowned for their distinctive natural aroma but can be often sour and tangy to the point of acridness. On the other hand the ones used in Royalty must be of the most refined and elegant type to be found. If there is a butter casing which produces this result I do not know – actually the only place where I have seen such a casing mentioned is here at the tobacco reviews description. What I do know is that they taste pure bliss!

As anders1 mentions and I agree wholeheartedly, Royalty can serve as a nice alternative to Squadron Leader. For me it’s like these two tobaccos came out of the same mould. If I was forced to compare these two excellent tobaccos I’d say that Royalty is tamer, less smoky, creamier, more refined and elegant if a tad less exciting lacking that ancient feel that Squadron Leader induces.

Royalty can be smoked out of the tin, burns impeccably, produces an agreeable room note and does not get bitter or harsh.

One of the top tobaccos I’ve ever smoked regardless of style. Highly recommended.

Similar Blends: Squadron Leader.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Mild and smooth yet surprisingly intriguing . Slight sweetness stays the whole bowl with the Orientals providing a nice scent and just the right spice , almost cinnamon like. Latakia perfectly balanced and in the background. Not a big "N" kick and not a heavy bodied smoke , but I could see myself smoking this anytime and all day, Nice light change of pace. I find it more interesting than Lanes LEO but similar in strength but not as sweet. Possibly has some similarities to Chonowitsch T17 with those "Gingerbread Orientals". This is a better indoor tobacco as it seems to get lost outside.

Update : 2017-04-22- I just opened a tin that had 3 years of cellar time and was excited to try an aged bowl, what a disappointment ! Totally bland !!! I waited another week and tried a second bowl, same thing totally blah ! I decided I must have been wrong with my original review or got a bad tin. I just threw it aside and was going to give it away when after about 2 months I tried it again, Wonderful !!! The remainder of the tin was great ??? Moral of the story, Give this blend plenty of time to breath .

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: LEO, Chonowitch T17.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)

Dispite the high price (almost 19€) i decided to purchase one tin and i never regreted it!the tin presentation is simple and prepares you for a unique smoking experience.a high quality blend with the smell being very balanced between virginias and orientals with a small dose of latakia.the blend moisture is perfect packs and lights ok without relights needed.while smoking the flavours are very pleasant and balanced.dark fruits,citruses and some rare grass notes are offered from the virginias.orientals are woodsy,earthy and a little spicy.at last some coals and camp fire pop out with some sweet notes.the nicotine level is medium,burns slow and very cool to total ash without moisture and dumbness with no chance of tongue bite.the room note is tolerable.i can say this blend has no similarity with other english blends i tried.not an all day smoke though a must try for every english blend smoker!

Age When Smoked: When opened

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Davidoff - Royalty.

Davidoff blends are expensive here in the U.K, simple. Sometimes, like I found with their Flake Medallions, it's a justifiable price to pay. But on other occasions, I'm thinking of their English Mixture, it's a total waste of money. I'm pleased to be able to say that this is one of the blends where I feel it's been a worthwhile expense.

I had it in my head that this was an aromatic; idiot L.O.L! What it is, is a very mild English: normally English blends are headstrong with Latakia, whereas the Latakia in this makes a very subtle point; VERY SUBTLE. Instead of a huge smoky taste, instead I get a very good balance between a high quality Virginia and a brilliantly creamy Oriental. This creamy quality is embellished by the addition of the butter; it gives the smoke almost a stickiness. The description says "a beautifully refined flavour", and that would make a perfect review: short, succinct, and absolutely accurate.

I don't find myself getting much nicotine from Royalty, it feels mild for the entire pipe long. A perfect beginners English?

I can't find any fault with this remarkable blend: highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Petersom Founders 150th Anniversary

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Old Fogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Fogie (1)

I have been a smoker of various supermarket brands so cannot rate myself as having a particularly sophisticated pallet but recently decided that I needed a change. Following recommendations, and finding myself in London, I visited the Davidoff showroom, itself a delight, and treated myself to a tin. What a revelation. What a delight. From the first puff I realised what I had been missing. Smokes cool, no tongue bite. Smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no bitterness to a fine white ash. Definitely my tobacco of choice from now on.

Pipe Used: Ronson original metal stem

Purchased From: Davidoff showroom London

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)

I've waited some time before writing this review, as Royalty has so many positive reviews. My go around with this blend was not successful nor was it in any ways as positive as the average. And, this all comes on the heels of my overwhelmingly positive and extremely enjoyable experience and review with it's sister blend - Flake Medallions. I labeled FM as the finest non-english blend this english smoker had ever experienced in his fifty-plus years of pipe smoking. Now, I am a very seasoned smoker and have learned to keep a healthy respect for blends that are red virginia based. The reason for this is tongue bite. From my first year of smoking to the present, I learned to approach red virginia blends with a lot of respect and caution. Upon opening my first tin of Royalty (and it will undoubtedly be my last), I saw a blend that was not just based on red virginia. This tin appeared to be PREDOMINATELY red virginia with a smallish amount of an oriental tobacco included. And I neither saw nor detected the odor of latakia; which some reviewers feel is in the mix, although Davidoff does not state that it is. From the very first puff, I began to get tongue bite. As I persevered to the quarter bowl point, this grew into a sensitive spot on my tongue. By the one third bowl point, I had to stop if I wanted to enjoy any subsequent bowls of tobacco. That's all the farther I got. As a microblender, I attempted to tame this blend. I mixed it half and half with Flake Medallions and, though more rich in taste, still tongue bite. I then mixed it half and half with Lane Ltd. Crown Achievement, a stronger english blend that I thought would mellow it out. Nope; I still had some tongue bite. At this point I gave the tin away to another smoker who said he could handle the red virginia. Because I have respect for Davidoff and because of the overwhelmingly great number of favorable reviews of this blend, I give it two stars.

Pipe Used: LX Ashton Old Church canadian

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: reviewer 430pat in his tobacco thin-down

Similar Blends: other predominately red virginia-based blends I have smoked in the past.

Diyavol Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diyavol (8)

Very satisfying by all means, tastes good, smokes well, a great blend for an all-day tobacco. Earthy and slightly leathery notes really makes you keep on puffing. A great choice for any time of day.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've had this for a while and I'm pretty sure I got it from StevieB in a trade. I should really start making notes of these things. Thanks Steve.

This is a very nice light English. The Virginias lead with a nice fruitiness, some of which is an enhancing topping/casing. The Orientals lend a nice sour butter note. The Lat brings up the rear with a light smoky wood note. It's very smooth and a pure pleasure to smoke. Burns cool with very few relights.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Flavoring is very mild.

EDIT- Just saw in the description that the butter note is added. Very well done, it seems natural. I still say there's a little fruit flavoring added as well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: Almost a year.

Purchased From: acquired in trade with StevieB

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (23)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

What a tobacco! Opening the tin you instantly know you have an exceptional tobacco on your hands. Beautiful buttery smoky tin note, and a perfect gold and brown cut. Packs very easily, burns slowly to the heel without problem. Lighting reveals wonderful sweet, complex, buttery notes (flavoured or not) from the oriental with a pleasant smokiness from the Latakia, which last throughout the smoke. Room note is refined, sweet and smoky, unique. Absolute classic. Every pipe smoker should try it.

Pipe Used: Corncob, meerschaum, olive, briar, clay

Age When Smoked: 0-2 years

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill - Nightcap, Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (60)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is really an oriental forward tobacco . Upon opening one is greeted by a strong presence of oriental tobaccos . The latakia , though noticeable , is a minor player . The Virginia is of decent quality and does deliver a bit of sweetness. The cut is very user friendly and one lite is all it needs . Royalty sort of reminds me of the old Dunhill Standard from days gone by . In many ways it can be compared to Robert Lewis Orcilla but with latakia added . Other reviewers have mentioned it's comparison to Elephant and Castle Sovereign mixture . The E & C tobacco was really difficult to come by back in the 1980's and it is one of the only tobaccos I totally missed . But if this is what Sovereign tasted like I truly missed the boat . Enjoy this really nice and unique tobacco as a soft latakia hit in the afternoon when the taste buds have awoken .

Pipers' Domain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers' Domain (7)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

A very well balanced blend of virginia and balcan/macedonian tobacco leafs, and a small sweet latakia proportion orbiting around. Nothing really distinguishable about it. Still, it could be an all day tobacco. Smooth, creamy with earthy notes. Not a word for tongue bite. Highly recommended, despite it's price.

Similar Blends: Germain's - Special Latakia Flake..

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

By far the best of the Davidoff breed. I smoke this on a regular basis, and never tire of it.

The Oriental and Virginia are the most forward, with Latakia used in condimental amounts. The tin note is something to behold, rather fermented and sour. Common to well aged tobaccos, but not universally. I have yet to get that smell and not thoroughly enjoy the smoke that follows.

There's a slight white wine taste, not dominating by any means but also not a whisper. I've read several reviews that mention buttery, and I'm not so sure I pick that up. It is certainly a smooth and creamy blend, with a savory taste so perhaps that's where the buttery description comes from.

Burns very well and smokes reasonably cool if you don't draw too aggressively. Does produce moisture though, and the pipes I tend to smoke more of this in need cleaning / dried more frequently. Small level of fuss really for a smoke I enjoy so much.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 0-6 months

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)

From my experience with tobacco, the word Royal lives in infamy. I have never tried a "Royal" blend and was satisfied, except for Royal Yacht of course. So, I was quite conservative while trying this out. It was under a scrutinizing test. And it delivered, hugely. Starting with the elegant, minimal tin art and description. When opening, you're welcomed by a lovely, strong, demanding aroma of orientals. The tobacco itself looks beautiful.. Fine ribbons of golden and green Virginias, dark orientals and perfect black Latakia. The cut is great.. Mostly long ribbons and shorter ones. Which makes packing it a breeze.. The tin is a bit on the moist side, but absolutely smokeable. Lighting it takes a few tries - probably because of the moisture - but when it lights, it stays lit and burns quite well. Star of the show here are the orientals. Smokey, spicy and rich. They have a prominent taste, aroma and leave an after taste. This is supported by a dark, earthy Virginia and a hint of smokiness from the Latakia, though it's most of a background tone. I asked non smokers and most think its aroma is tolerable, but not "Good".. It's mostly a nice all day smoke. Nothing special or unique.. But one of the best Balkans I have tried

Pipe Used: Peterson System Ebony XL315

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: Dubai Duty Free

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Standard Mixture.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)

Butter flavouring,are we crazy?Royalty is the most elegant and refined english mixture you can find,that´s the question:to find it.The preposterous indication about butter flavouring must be a tricky invention to scare off honest smoker from this wonder.It reminds to me Dunhill London Mixture but with some rare macedonian leaf of rare quality.Soft and deep,to keep attention to the subtilities hiden in this uncommon smoke.Something special in its class.The little pinch of soft Lat,maybe syrian,is perfect.I couldn´t keep for cellaring,for me is perfect in fresh and I don´t like any change.

Pipe Used: Dunhills size4

Age When Smoked: current production

Purchased From: everywhere available

Similar Blends: Dunhill London Mixture.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

When I tried this blend I was surprised because I didn't expect much due to my opinion of Davidoff. What I experienced with the first bowl and all the bowls that followed was an English blend as enjoyable as any brand I can recall. Royalty is a medium English that tastes like what my mind says an English should be. The taste stays enjoyable all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Royalty does not get sour or bitter like many blends do when you get to the bottom of the bowl. The blend is a nice ribbon cut that is not overly moist when you open the tin. It packs and lights without a problem. Royalty is a pleasure in every way.

Pipe Used: Castello

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: jr cigar

Similar Blends: White Knight, magnum opus.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobbacco is very sweet. As you can expect from an english mixture. When you open the tin, you can smell the latakia. But when you light it, it's not overwhelming. It's sweet. I used to smoke it after long work days. You can be relaxed for sure. I highly recommend this blend for whom like english blends, and of course latakia...

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing phenomenal. A good all round English blend with no surprises. Good sweetness from the Orientals and Virginias and a hint of smokiness from the small addition of Latakia. A great smoke for someone trying an English blend for the first time, but should be aware this is a very light Blend compared to other more robust English blends. All in all I'de be happy to smoke this anytime when not looking for a specifically strong English blend not trying to pick out idiosyncrasies of flavours. A blend for hanging out on the patio puffing away at a BBQ not worrying to much about the details of what I'm smoking.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Long Jhon

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I can't believe I missed this one, I smoked a tin some years ago and its still memorable, very nice English oriental, well reputed and rightly so, quality baccy, it all works, the Virginias hold the blend together, similar to EMP by Dunhill. This is a benchmark blend in the oriental category. If you've always been wondering what the difference between an English and an oriental blend, this one paints the picture for you.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Some of us pipers prefer a balanced English (read easy on the Latakia) and this blend delivers. Nice English, paid about $7.00(usd) which isn't too bad for a quality blend. For those who love Latakia there is "Old Ironsides".

Gariekwong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gariekwong (5)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Good but not memorable when comparing to Dunhill London mixture. Both are selling Oriental taste. I do not consider it price worthwhile though I am addicts to V and O. Davidoff is only good at cigars market.

Pipe Used: Peterson bent pipe

Purchased From: HK

khuneidi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
khuneidi (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Smells Good, Mainly golden Virginia, semi Dry, Overall smells like quality cigarets. burns very well and somehow fas. Smooth and Soft Smoke, suitable for all day smoke. room note is minimal. i felt personally it is very relaxing for someone like me had quit cigarets smoking few months back.

Pipe Used: savinelli Dolomiti

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: Dubai Duty Free

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Of the English blends I have tried up until this point, most have had a heavy charcoal campfire aroma (think Dunhill's Nightcap or 965). Royalty was different. The initial tin aroma was very earthy and reminded me of moist fresh cut trees. A slightly fruity smell with hints of damp soil. Quite nice really.

It wasn't too moist, but still took a few relights, so it could likely use a bit of dry time. I'll be curious if the taste differs as it ages.

The taste immediately brought me back to smoking the cigarettes I quit a year before (American Spirits Yellow). It was an unusual sensation and I found myself inhaling the smoke from a long awakened behaviour. There was no distinct pipe flavor here (sweet, heavy, or otherwise), nor a beasty cigar bitterness, just a classic tobacco taste.

Not sure what to make of it, other than it felt like cheating on a habit I gave up.

Shawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

There are some tobacco producers who focus mainly on aromatic blends but for some reason decided to put out that one or two English blends for a change, unfortunately these are normally not too successful to say the least. However Peterson and Davidoff are quintessential exceptions to this trend, their Old Dublin and Royalty makes me wonder why they don't produce more latakia blends.

I haven't read any reviews prior to trying the Royalty, the only thing I knew about this was that it's an English blend with a fairly good rating, and that's all is needed for me to purchase a tin despite its slightly above usual price. I was expecting a satisfactory yet generic English blend, but what I got was far from ordinary. Royalty is mild, subtly sweet and extremely smooth; oriental blended perfectly with the virginia, and just the small amount of latakia for accent. From the first puff I could notice something else, some faint creamy and floral notes, it really adds to the complexity of this gentle smoke.

The humidity is just right from the tin, it smokes well without extra drying. I'd say this blend stays very cool in your bowl unless you are puffing way too fast, but then why would anyone want to smoke this delicious tobacco too quickly?

Pipe Used: Stanwell Duke 410

Purchased From: Online

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)

I've had this fresh and nearly 10 years old (it ages wonderfully, just gets better and better with age) and it's really good at every age. For my money it is the queen of all Davidoff blends. Tin note is a lovely VA and Turkish treat, with a hint of Lat. The VA is there in the smoke in abundance, with the Oriental sounding a sweet and slightly sour note. The Lat is there as an accent but not overpowering. This may be THE perfect introduction to English blends for your friends looking to try one, though it probably is more Balkan than English. Royalty just really tastes good.

Not a nic bomb, more medium in strength. But even nic lovers don't want a bomb all the time. Royalty is smokeable and enjoyable for those who don't like heavy nic but has enough body and power to please those looking for a non-bomb smoke that has enough flavor and strength to be pleasing.

Lovely room note, since the Lat is in the background. Lat-bomb seekers should keep walking, nothing to see here. Family likes it, 'nuff said.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The thing that helped me "get" this blend was the flavor description on this website: butter. My first impression was that this was a smooth english with mild latakia presence and little to no harshness. But when I read the description, butter became the leitmotif of every bowl.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a top notch english blend that is among my favorites. Quality leaf with Latakia used gracefully.

I would smoke this more often it it wasn't so overpriced in Canada. I stock up on this when in the US, as it is a third of the price.

Definitley worth a try !

Edit: 25-03-2014

I simply cannot smoke this tobacco anymore. Either my tastes have changed or the tobacco has. The blend has an obvious casing of some sort that is very distracting and it simply isn't what I would consider a true english mixture.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

More a VA mix than a proper English, with literally maybe only 5% or less latakia, I was pleasantly surprised by Royalty. It's smooth, creamy, smokable at any time of day, good N levels and burns very cleanly. In fact it's so much more a VA mixture that I smoke it in my VA dedicated pipe to give my much abused English mix pipe a rest. Have smoked a tin of this in 4 days flat, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Have another tin waiting and will buy some more at the weekend. A solid, quality daily smoke for VA lovers and English converts.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

Sorry, but this one gets no rave review from me. What is it with the Danish anyway? With Stanwell pipes, if it is labeled "Royal" whatever, it is not the top of the line. This tobacco is not the top of the line in my opinion, although it is presumptuously overpriced. It looks nice in the tin, nice cut, and loads the pipe well. Leather, cumin and pungent spices? Maybe. But it tastes like plain old cigarette tobacco when smoked. And, my batch anyway, got red hot - even though I do not puff hard. It required constant relighting. I threw it out halfway through the bowl, and had to use my pipe tool, because the stuff was a soggy mess, er, a royal mess.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Excellent mixture of great Virginias and mellow Orientals with a pinch of Latakia, topped with a very mild fruit flavor.

It is a shame that Davidoff overprices its products trying to reach elitism. This tobacco is high quality, but not the best by a long shot. It would definitely get 4/4 if reasonable priced.

In spite of its name, I find this to be a very nice, easy going tobacco. Nothing extraordinary for Latakia lovers, but otherwise a very good all day Va/Oriental smoke. Like all Davidoff?s blends, the tobacco used in Royalty (matured Virginia, a very mild type of Turkish, and a hint of Latakia?probably from Cyprus) is top quality. Its ribbon cut makes it easy to pack and light. It burns nicely (no trouble in keeping it lit) and the room aroma is one which my wife can more or less cope with.

Upon lighting, the tobacco tastes basically of Virginias, undoubtedly the stars of the mixture. But the Turkish/Oriental elements play their role very well, every now and then coming to the fore to make themselves felt. The Latakia remains in the background, but by mid-bowl its musky presence creeps up to contribute to a the final, satisfying flavour.

I don?t think this could be thought of as an entirely English mixture, in the sense that it is not a full bodied tobacco. It differs even from milder Latakia mixtures, such as Early Morning or London Mixture (it may be closer to Apertif, which I have not yet tried), in that it has a drier, woody flavour. It does not gurgle, and it leaves both the pipe bowl and the smoker?s palate clean.

If you are looking for an all day smoke with some Latakia and Orientals, this is an excellent choice. In so far as its strength is not overwhelming, one does not grow tired (or numb) after several bowls, but it is savoury enough to enjoy.

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Alright. First off. I need to apologize to this blend. It was gifted to me many years ago, tried it twice, though it was garbage. Then hid it in the back of my collection.

Man. Do i feel stupid!

Its is some great stuff. To me its a very mellow english. But still has all those perfect "english" qualities i love. I love any stout, heavy, dark, spicy english blends. This isnt one of those. Its very mild, packed with tons of creamy, sweet, spicy deliciousness. The leaf WAS golden with hints of darkness. It is now a rich brown with some black specs tossed in. The tin i have is from 2011. So it has some age on it. Which i think did it good.

I honestly don't remember it this way. But its amazing now!

I dont know much about orientals. But im diggin this english blend. Quality stuff. Just like thier cigars.

Has a bit of moisture to it. But not horrible enough to care. But i do get some pipe gurgle. Not really heavy in the nic department, but there is a nice tongle half way through the bowl. Havent had to relight. Packs beautifully. Burns to a grey/white ash. And smells phenomenal! Lighting and packing is a breeze. Didnt really dry it out. I felt it was perfect straight out of the tin/jar. First few puffs are a sweet and spicy mixture. Then just becomes rich with spice and leather?

I need more of this!

Pipe Used: Wally Frank

Age When Smoked: 7yrs

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild and smooth English blend, not overly complex but pleasant to smoke. Light and dark ribbon, tightly packed with just the right amount of moisture. Good smell on opening. High quality soft Virginia, with orientals throughout and just a bare whiff of latakia. Surprisingly easy to light straight out the tin with just a couple of charring lights. The overall flavour stays the same throughout the bowl, with no bite, no bitterness or sourness. Cannot detect any alleged "buttery" flavouring, presumably it is just a marketing ploy.... Burns well to a fine white ash. No relight needed. An update: After six months: I still like it, although perhaps I will describe it as "balanced" and "elegant", but not "outstanding" or "stunning". It certainly merits 4 stars for quality of the tobacco in the mix, and careful blending. An ideal first English tobacco for someone used to smoke aromatics.

Pipe Used: John Aylesbury bulldog with 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh out tin

Purchased From: Dubai Airport duty free

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (14)

The best all day smoke for me. Quality tobacco, packs very well, with a great tobacco flavour for the entire length of the smoke. Highly recommend it.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Roger Xavierq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roger Xavierq (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My favorite Davidoff blend. This is a very well put together English mixture. Tin aroma upon opening is smokey LAT and wet hay. Very pleasent indeed. Very nice ribbon cut. A bit of drying out can be useful. Easy to pack and to light.

The first impression is its lightness and gentle smoke. NO bites .The Latakia is there but not in an overwhealming way. In conclusion this is a good tobacco. I think that smokers who do not know English mixtures can debut well with this one. It is soft, round, without aggressiveness with subtle and very present flavors that remain in the mouth for a while. The room note is nice.

This blend is satisfying, from the beautiful presentation till the end of the bowl. And it ages pretty well too.

The only negative point here is the price. Other than that, here in Europe, Davidoffs are usually easy to find, so I think I will be buying this again.

There are plenty of good English blends out there- and cheaper ones as well- But this one is very good stuff.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Canadian

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Purchased From: Tabac des Vosges Paris

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)

Davidoff Royalty smells appetizing and sweet from the tin, the presentation is flawless. That is probably the least to expect when you purchase one of the most expensive tobaccos on the market. When lit, you’ll get a nicely piquant, spicy Virginia/Oriental mix with pronounced natural sweetness. I like the selection of fragrant, floral-sweet-ish (and not sour or bitter) Orientals. Very pleasant and satisfying due to a fair amount of strength, more solid than complex. Latakia is added in such a small portion, that you really have to know what you are looking for in order to be able to clearly detect it. It does however play its important part extremely well.

This is without doubt a sophisticated, high quality tobacco. Buy this for a traditional English blend, not for a Latakia blend, for it is used only in condimental way. There are countless English blends out there, but few deliver an experience as pure and clean as this one. Just don’t look at the price tag.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: fresh to 1 yr

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Very high marks for presentation, as is always the case for Davidoff tobacco tins, I think.

Initial tin note is of a fruity slightly ginger-like whiskey smell. After a few days days that dissipates, whereupon I slightly smell a ghee-like scent. Dry enough, ribbon, with dark chunks predominant.

So I tried this in cobs, braids, etc, tried it fresh out the tin, outta a jar, with and without added humidity. I did this because I wanted to make sure my pipes weren't the cause of the harshness....they weren't. Every so seldom I'd get the sweetness I'd thought Davidoff was aiming for with Royalty-it's a Va forward blend with Orientals after all.... but either the Vas weren't so sweet or the Turkish component ruined that concept (Turkish weed is only good for non-filtered Camel cigs, IMO). I could faintly taste burnt ghee flavor in the first few bowls, but that quickly gave way to the heated harshness I found typical of this blend.

Royalty always burned very hot for me, and any blend that makes me focus on sipping to avoid tongue bite deters from the pleasure. This tin was fresh, no idea of aging it had....which is in itself aggravating.

So the remaining 1/2 tin is now part of my 24oz decanter Amnesia blend, where when mixed with other sub-par Toby will one day make a surprisingly tasty mix :)

Pipe Used: Anything and everything

Age When Smoked: Fresh order

Purchased From: P&C.com

Cultured Explorer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cultured Explorer (8)

This is the first blend I tried with Latakia, and so may be a bit biased. Regardless, it's still one of my favorites, and, oddly, like one of my other early favorites, is one that I can taste and smell throughout the day. I will say, though, that it was also the first blend to give me a major case of tongue bite. However, my body chemistry has since adjusted.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Complexity and depth with creamy orientals leading the way. The latakia is consistently present, but never overpowering. Spicy retrohale. Very well balanced blend, burning clean and smooth. 4* delivery.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik Tomato

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 1 month ago

Purchased From: CI

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)

It was my favorite blend, a light sweet and creamy blend that smokes cool. The latikia topping completed the blend and made it classy. it is not perfect though. The taste can get quite ashy as you near the end and the latikia looses its presence half way down the bowl. I would still recommend it for people who want to dwell in the world of English but really for a lot less money you can get better English blends

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin revealed a topping smell that now I know is, butter. I was divided as to the nature of the smell. Was it coming from the Red Virginias or was it a topping, an essence that I could not pinpoint?

The smoke is smooth and buttery,the topping gives it that "classic English mixture" taste. It burns cool to a white ash. Since I prefer my tobacco with as little casing or topping as possible, I would not smoke it again. It was a nice experience in a contemplative after lunch pipe way. A much better mixture from Davidoff, a bit pricey even for Canada. I have to thank a fellow pipe smoker for the opportunity to smoke this offering.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

A nice blend overall. Lat. is there and overall a good quality tobacco. However, there is nothing really memorable about it and after about 1/2 a tin I found myself growing board with it. The tin was aged 21 months so it was still in the "new" range but I see no reason to pursue this on any further.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (74)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A nice balance of Virginia with a satisfactory addition of Latakia. It can be called a true English mixture, much better to my taste than the epitome blend from Davidoff. Expensive but worth it!

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The red Virginia, orientals and a pinch of Latakia is at it's best. Buttery and smooth with a sense of satisfaction. It is easy to light, burns to fine grey ashes and gives a sense of satisfaction.

Opening the tin instantly reminds you of a horses stable, salty sea breeze and citrus. It is expensive, but you get high quality tobacco. It does well in any kind of pipe, especially a Meerschaum.

Keeping a slice of lemon on top of the carton in the tin will help to keep it moist and not interfere with the taste.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I found the pleasure of Latakia with this blend. It is gooood.

under the arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
under the arbor (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These are very early returns as this baby just arrived in todays post. Took some doing but I finally found a shop that actually had this baby in stock! Another successful (semi-covert) undertaking by our friends at Orlik! A tad heavier on the VA and quite a bit lighter on the Latakia than it's comparables but a winner so far. Zino's heirs sure have a knack for quality but then I expect it from the purveyors of my favorite match-stick!

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)

Being a bit wary of too much latakia I bought this blend for its moderate latakia content. The smell in the tin is sweet ans slightly smoky, but the sweetness dominates. The room note is very similar.

The taste is sweet and kindof salty, rather than the peppery taste I get from other latakia blends. It's a nice summer outdoor smoke. The tobacco smokes cool and leave little dottle. The smoke is cool and creamy, which is probably due to the orientals. Not in my top 5, but defenitely worth a try

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Looks like they blended some good quality tobacco here; burns nicely down to a fine grey ash and won't leave your pipe goopy. It'll run a little hot at first loading of the pipe, but gets milder on the first re-light and it will smoke easily and gently through the rest of the bowl.

Other than that,...eh. A nice, mild English blend and that's about all you can say there, matey. I smoke it once in a blue moon while practicing my English accent and it gives my wife an excuse to have the draperies cleaned. Everyone's happy eh?

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

If it was reasonably priced, reviews about royalty would double and I would probably be single by now. Yes, "wife rating" equals to "wife hating" with this one.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (17)

It's well balanced giving a cool, salty smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit that I myself have not been a Davidoff fan until my encounter with Royalty. I like English mixtures with a bit more Latakia and if you are a Latakia lover this might not be your blend as its only used as a condiment. With that said, this blend is made with well aged tobacco's. The Virginia's and Orientals make for a sweet and tangy smoking experience. Royalty, although sweet, is dry tasting and smooth. It packs well and burns cleanly. It is worthy of the Davidoff price point. 3.5 stars, Recommended!

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing exciting. A well done nutty oriental mixture, but nothing else.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)

While I do suspect that this would be close to hit the 4-star mark with a bunch of years on it, there really is no obvious need to age it. It's very nice as it is, straight out of the tin, but unfortunately this is something that is reflected in its price point.

It is more expensive than the competition for sure, and part of the price tag is surely in the brand name alone. I don't buy this very often (I prefer Dunhill englishes over this), so I'm not terribly concerned. Besides, the way things are going, there aren't many cheap tobaccos around anyway (certainly not in Europe) - one could argue you might as well go with something you know will hit the spot. Price is however a valid concern if you find yourself making this an all day, every day, kind of smoke. In that case, you better have your finances in order to make it work.

But either way, this is a very nice english mixture. Presentation, although it shouldn't impact too much on the overall impression and score, is (as should be expected) flawless; predominatly bright and red long and stringy ribboncut VA's and olive tinted orientals intertwined with slightly larger and shorter bits and pieces of latakia that makes for an easy-going packing and easilly managed high quality smoke, in virtually all aspects. Perhaps a tiny bit too heavy on the latakia for my personal taste, but there are plenty of sweet oriental tanginess and red VA tastiness to make it a blend well worth trying, perhaps as an alternative to Dunhill englishes, as it does bear a slight resemblance to 965, but has a broader oriental profile and more pronounced spicy sweetness.

One key aspect of the Davidoff brand, all elitistic nonsense aside, is that it has a decently high availability across Europe; and in that regard, you could do much worse than trying a tin of this, especially when considering the alternatives available, even at "wellstocked" tobacconists.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Davidoff Royalty is an epic, classy, luxury oriental mixture, the tobacco quality is at its finest and the taste is delightful.

The Virginia/oriental here share the center stage, the latakia stay discretely in the background, the taste is full bodied, creamy, earthy, with Turkish/oriental dominant. The burning properties are clean cool and soft on the palate.

This is my favorite oriental blend; I could not find anything in the market that can match its quality and taste.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Having noticed all the comments about the high price of Royalty, I have to point out the disadvantage of living in a rural area. My closest tobacco shop is 90 miles away so I have to order all of my tobacco's on-line unless I want to smoke Prince Albert exclusively. (Not my BallyWag!)

Being an English blend lover, Royalty is right up my ally for a morning smoke, especially in a meerschaum. Smokes cool, stays lit with no bite.

One more thing I have to brag on is the rubber seal in the tin. Some have them, some don't. I have a tin that's been open for about 4 months, and it's just right. I like switching and letting them sit for a while, and hate when my blend dries out to much.

I just ordered two more 50g tins for $10.00US (each, including shipping) intended for aging.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Hey what do you know, no one has seemed to notice this blend contains Perique! I am pretty sure it does, I can taste its sourness and strength from time to time, I have smoked it in a brand new pipe, A Vauen Oxford so yhis should be a good indicator of its taste. For the rest, it is a high quality, high priced blend that smokes cool and has a full taste, with some harshness sometimes. Recommended!

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

How to describe this blend without raising false expectations? It is an english/oriental blend, for there is latakia/oriental present- not much though. But when we hear english we often think of a whole other type of tobacco. We think, EMP, nightcap and 965 and so on. No, royalty is not that. The key to this blend are the virginia's. Sip it like a VA (and forget it's Englishness). Use your VA technique. Notice the roundness, the sweetness and the subtelty. And then BANG you get it! The VA's are complemented with the oriental leaf which give the natural sweetness of the VA a nutty/woody/smoky edge. The oriental smokiness here is not a goal in itself. In fact the components blend into each other so finely, it is hard to say where one ends and the other begins. Royalty is then another way of smoking VA. VA's tend IMHO (and I seem to remember comments of Mr Dunhill stating the same) to be subtle (and in the worst case, well..bland). So sometimes they are topped to give it some extra flavour, this is an alternative where the va is complemented with oriental as condimental leaf for this litte "extra" taste. As for the room note: last time I lit up a bowl of this, my wife came into my smoking den and stayed for quite a while without making ANY complaint.

The only real drawback to this blend is that in all its brightness, mildness and roundness, it has not realy enough body to be a good after dinner smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

The best of Davidoff pipe tobaccos - or should one say the only one of Davidoff pipe tobaccos worth the bother? Royalty is a very elegant, understated mixture. The virginias and orientals are top quality, and the Latakia is discreetly applied - like rubbing a salad bowl lightly with garlic. I have smoked it with pleasure at all times of the day. The room note is a delight to come back to.

I usually smoke stronger mixtures, usually full Balkans, but this has been one of the best changes of pace within the last year. Virginias take the front row here, with spicy and pungent orientals to balance the sweetness in a refined way. Latakia hides itself, providing a musky background especially in the second part of the bowl. If I should choose an adjective to explain this blend I will probably say refined, elegant.