A classic English with a beautifully refined flavor. Mature Virginia and Oriental tobaccos spiced with a pinch of Latakia.

BrandDavidoff
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company
FlavoringButter
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.1

A nice, light latakia blend of predominately virginias and orientals. The color is mostly light with streaks of black and the cut is a ribbon - very easy to pack. I should also note that Davidoff gets high marks for presentation. The inner paper is of higher quality than most. It all looks very nice.

The tobacco taste is of sweet virginia with a sidebar of orientals, including a smallish dose of latakia. I'd call it soft, but in a good way. Reminds me vaguely of some other blends I've smoked but I can't put my finger on them. This is a good solid blend but doesn't really distinguish itself much. It's hardly what I would call complex, but it has a nice, steady flavor that does not disappoint. It could not be coaxed to bite but it does get harsh if overpuffed.

My biggest complaint about this one is the cost. But if that doesn't cross your eyes, give this a try. It's a good if not great blend that does nothing wrong but I didn't find it unique or tasty enough to make my rotation. For a blend named "Royalty", it seemed rather ordinary to me.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

Very good traditional english blend. If you are new to the world of english tobaccos, Royalty can really tell you what they are all about.

Oriental and virginia in the front, with latakia used as a condiment. Very middle of the road english blend. Many blends tend to favor certain component tobaccos, latakia, virginia, etc. Royalty is very well balanced and very medium in terms of strength and taste.

Like I said, if you are new to English tobaccos, this is a good starting place. work your way up or down in terms of strength to suit your tastes.

If you are an english fan, you will enjoy this as a very well blended perfectly balanced medium english blend.

Personally, most of the time I prefer something either heavier or lighter as opposed to right in the middle, but this tobacco definitely gets my reccomendation.

anders1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anders1 (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is an excellent English blend. It is dry and restrained, spicy and complex. I think it succeeds at what Westminster fails at. This is probably due to the fact that the tobaccos in Royalty have enough age. You can easily verify that by the tin smell. It has that musty fermented smell that only properly aged tobaccos have. I also think it is a nice alternative to my other English favourite: Squadron Leader. SL is a bit sweeter and nuttier. Royalty a bit dryer and restrained.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Mild and smooth yet surprisingly intriguing . Slight sweetness stays the whole bowl with the Orientals providing a nice scent and just the right spice , almost cinnamon like. Latakia perfectly balanced and in the background. Not a big "N" kick and not a heavy bodied smoke , but I could see myself smoking this anytime and all day, Nice light change of pace. I find it more interesting than Lanes LEO but similar in strength but not as sweet. Possibly has some similarities to Chonowitsch T17 with those "Gingerbread Orientals". This is a better indoor tobacco as it seems to get lost outside.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: LEO, Chonowitch T17.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)

Throughout this website there are many references in reviews to cost of tobacco. Two observations -- first, I believe that cost and the tobacco review (especially the star allocation) should be as separate as church and state (and mentioned only as an adjunct), and second, for U.S. residents (I understand the problems of international shipment/duties) if you're clever enough to write a review on this site then you may just be clever enough to order tobacco online from any one of at least ten good e-tailers (5 of which are flashing ads at me while I type!). $30 for a tin?? Seriously?? Try $9 and see how much better Royalty tastes. It's very, very good. Pure butter (which they say is an added flavor -- whatever) which, if you've ever enjoyed a rich yet mellow English latakia blend, you'll know just what I mean. It's nothing short of edible. Oriental way ahead of the latakia without masking it, and orientals of very refined quality. Not the least bit bitter or puckerish. The underlying tobaccos are, to my taste, rich and very well farmed/cured/processed. Top marks for a great light English, and "light" only in the latakia sense -- it is big and round in a very understated way. D's Flake Medallions are delicious as well (and, apologies for ranting, even at the exorbitant online price of $10).

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

First of all, this is a first rate tobacco. It is nothing more than its own blend. Not competing or asking for comparison to Dunhills or other domineering tobacco companies/blends. I rate it on its own.

I have found that this tobacco is one of my favorite anchor blends. It is a wonderfully spicy and smokey english blend. Yes, it is a little light on the Latakia, but it offers a wonderful campfire, smoke-lodge pleasure with its mature Virginia base. I have found that this blend shines in my large Brigham half-bent.

The blend is easy packing ribbon cut with lovely contrasting darks and bright Virginia with a balanced dash of Latakia and Oriental. It has a rounded, dense, mildly warm solace, regardless of its somewhat piquante room note. Sheer briar bliss, but not for the novice.

Last notes.... lichen-covered granite and fresh morning woods. This is a timeless blend, and is most definitly a recipe from a the early 1900's as it purports to be.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing phenomenal. A good all round English blend with no surprises. Good sweetness from the Orientals and Virginias and a hint of smokiness from the small addition of Latakia. A great smoke for someone trying an English blend for the first time, but should be aware this is a very light Blend compared to other more robust English blends. All in all I'de be happy to smoke this anytime when not looking for a specifically strong English blend not trying to pick out idiosyncrasies of flavours. A blend for hanging out on the patio puffing away at a BBQ not worrying to much about the details of what I'm smoking.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Long Jhon

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)

I've waited some time before writing this review, as Royalty has so many positive reviews. My go around with this blend was not successful nor was it in any ways as positive as the average. And, this all comes on the heels of my overwhelmingly positive and extremely enjoyable experience and review with it's sister blend - Flake Medallions. I labeled FM as the finest non-english blend this english smoker had ever experienced in his fifty-plus years of pipe smoking. Now, I am a very seasoned smoker and have learned to keep a healthy respect for blends that are red virginia based. The reason for this is tongue bite. From my first year of smoking to the present, I learned to approach red virginia blends with a lot of respect and caution. Upon opening my first tin of Royalty (and it will undoubtedly be my last), I saw a blend that was not just based on red virginia. This tin appeared to be PREDOMINATELY red virginia with a smallish amount of an oriental tobacco included. And I neither saw nor detected the odor of latakia; which some reviewers feel is in the mix, although Davidoff does not state that it is. From the very first puff, I began to get tongue bite. As I persevered to the quarter bowl point, this grew into a sensitive spot on my tongue. By the one third bowl point, I had to stop if I wanted to enjoy any subsequent bowls of tobacco. That's all the farther I got. As a microblender, I attempted to tame this blend. I mixed it half and half with Flake Medallions and, though more rich in taste, still tongue bite. I then mixed it half and half with Lane Ltd. Crown Achievement, a stronger english blend that I thought would mellow it out. Nope; I still had some tongue bite. At this point I gave the tin away to another smoker who said he could handle the red virginia. Because I have respect for Davidoff and because of the overwhelmingly great number of favorable reviews of this blend, I give it two stars.

Pipe Used: LX Ashton Old Church canadian

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: reviewer 430pat in his tobacco thin-down

Similar Blends: other predominately red virginia-based blends I have smoked in the past.

Round about 25 years or was it 30 years ? i tried Davidoff English and Davidoff Oriental.

Both stuffs was very flat for me.

So i was very sceptic a few years later as a tobaconist in Munich Germany recomanded me to try the new Davidoff Royalty.

Well i tried it and found it good, but not so much as Dunhill Standard Medium or even Dunhill EMP.

Just a few years ago as Orlik take over from Murray the Dunhill Manufactoring i remembered on Davidoff Royalty to give it another try.

And yes i could stand beside the Dunhills. Maybe my licking has changed and although it was in the springtime (may ?)

Nicotin middle off the road - level as EMP or Dunie Standard. Latakia level as EMP. Taste very much at the same level, plus more nutty butter. One of the few very good summertime English mixtures

And the virginias have a good portion of age from the beginning - a very fine attest for the Manufactur.

They present it in a very fine and restrained tin. The name Royalty ? okay Davidoff stands for quality.

Age When Smoked: 1 - 2

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one really hits the mark, and I was pleasantly surprised, because I didn't expect Davidoff to deliver the goods. I was dismayed by the widely divergent reviews, and in retrospect, the one by poupehan from 2006 nails it. No need to scroll back that far; here's the skinny: In the tin, I find the rust-red hue of the Virginia ribbons very appealing, and it smells deliciously sweet, with a wisp of Latakia. In the bowl, the Latakia is in the background (maybe there's less than a pinch?), but in a good way. The flavor is fresh and toasty -- dry, nutty, very woody, and reminiscent of several of the milder C&D blends I've had. It's fairly light in body . . . tasty, but not overpowering, yet it maintains my interest. It's not loaded with Oriental leaf, not overly complex, but it is consistent top to bottom with a short finish, so your tongue will thank you. It is somewhat of a "McClelland's Legends Lite."

This could easily be an all-day smoke. It will bite back if you're agressive, so keep it slow. Worth a try.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was always curious about this one... Never really was too excited about trying a Davidoff blend as it seems to me a bit overpriced stuff. Nonetheless I have found this at a local tobacconist here at a relatively okay price (for brazilian high taxation standards) and I thought I would just give the tin a try. Turned out the stuff is quit quite good. Good presentation, cardboard foil over the contents is pretty decent and covers well the tobacco preserving it's moisture level, which is pretty decent and good to be smoked just right off the bat...Cut is very fine, packs easily... Colors - Golden red virginias predominate without any doubt and a 5-10% max of latakia leaf intermingle with black hues. A natural sweet aroma from the VAs with a smoky latakia scent is what you get when whaffing out the molecules evaporating from the blend inside the tin, waitinmg there to be packed into your pipe. Loaded one of my marvelous Stanwells and charred the first stroke of ignition to it, making the tobacck expand... First draw gave me a salty, slightly smokey sensation, with upfront Virginia flavours entranced. The bowl evolutes without bite to a better predominancy of the latakia flavours... I love latakia and wish the could maybe double the contenst of the leaf here... but overall this is a pretty good and not overpowering baccie to the English mixture puffer. Resembles me of the Dunhill Early Morning pipe beloved blend. only downturn here is really the brand's price...

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Now this is a pipe tobacco! I have not been impressed with the Davidoff line as I felt they just threw stuff together in order to have a tobacco line. The combination here though, is thoughtful!

I really liked the strength of the Virginia and sweetness of the Oriental. There's also a little bit of Latakia in the mix, but it stayed deep in the background. Not sure how this blend will age, but I am going to find out as I just ordered a five pack.

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)

Mello, sweet and spicy all at once with an after taste that grows more complex as your bowl descends. I liked it very much, having smoked it in a Maestro De Paja bent billiard that has a bit of a tight draw. With that, still no bite. The tobacco is beautiful in the tin, blonds, reds and dark ribbons all uniform and well packed; an odor of smokiness (the Va?) and some light undertone of fruit sneaks in if you wait for it, all is very light to the nose. At first I thought this was going to be a somewhat bland smoke, after a bit of a mellow start (nothing wrong with that) the flavors built to a very nice subtle English/Oriental mix, with neither characteristic really overpowering or becoming subservient to the other. I love it. On a useless bit, the tin?s packaging is lovely, you get this wonderful ring of paper to pack within to keep from spilling. I have not purchased any of the tins that have this to date, very considerate and charming. This will be the first time I do not immediately transfer to a jar, I am going to keep it in the tin for a bit. Being a Father?s Day gift I am not at liberty to say if this was worth the price, as so many often complain about in relation to this brand, however, if I had the money and were in a shop I do think I would grab a tin from time to time and savor it because it is unique; spicy and mild all at once, English and somehow ?not? so. If I were to say to myself ?I can get _____ that is just as good for less money? I would miss out on a great deal of variety in my life. I think it is worth it to have a few things I splurge on from time to time, and do every now-&-again. I will do so with Davidoff?s if they are like this. Namaste?

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

Davidoff's Royalty is one of those blends that was in my rotation, but only one tin every couple of years. Previously I had only smoked the McConnell blended version of this in the 100g can. My current sample is a 50g tin of the more recent vintage that had been in my cabinet for two years. I don't notice any difference between the McConnell's and the current blend, but it has been several years.

Royalty is mostly sweet Virginias with some orientals and a smidge of latakia. The Virginia element in this tobacco reminds me of McCranies Red Ribbon in its natural sweetness. The tobacco comes at just the right moisture level for me. Burning qualities are excellent if you smoke slowly, but it can get hot if you overpuff. I find that Royalty leaves my palate a little dry, causing me to take a sip more often than most blends. This blend qualifies as English only because of the addition of some latakia, but as English mixtures go, the latakia is hardly there. The room note is dominated by the Virginias and leaves a nice woodsy aroma that lingers to the next day.

If you like Virginias with some spicy Orientals, try Royalty. If you are looking for strong latakia, go elsewhere.

Royalty is a very good tobacco, but for me will always be an occasional smoke. Royalty is not cheap. My 50g tin was priced at $11.50.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I only needed to sniff the tin note o this a few times before going back to where I got it and nearly clearing out their stash.

Thinking of a word which you would not usually use for describing tobacco, which does this justice.

Regal? Maybe

Velvety? Yes, but not doing it enough justice.

Decadent? Yes, getting close

..................got it. This is OPULENTLY EXTRAVAGANT LUXURY.

How Davidoff produced this I will never know. Nothing else they do in pipes comes even though, and they come out of the woodwork with this stonker.

High quality English ingredients, but then it blows you away with a casing that not only works, its unique in how it works. The whole thing combines to resemble plumes of smoke that you could charge people to be around, the buttery finish making it almost a crossover blend, but it doesn't smell like an aro, the butter just adds a deliciously fat and needlessly overwhelming element of fullness to every single element, so its creamy Latakia, its rich and smooth VA, its smooth and creamy orientals, everything is covered in this glory.

Multiple tins getting stored, and I have enough to see me through a shortage.

A real winner - don't bother with the rest of the line though. Awful.

alpyesilay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alpyesilay (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

That's not an english mixture. A kind of a simulation. That's all. Wont buy again this blend. Even wont buy again any Davidoff products.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a top notch english blend that is among my favorites. Quality leaf with Latakia used gracefully.

I would smoke this more often it it wasn't so overpriced in Canada. I stock up on this when in the US, as it is a third of the price.

Definitley worth a try !

Edit: 25-03-2014

I simply cannot smoke this tobacco anymore. Either my tastes have changed or the tobacco has. The blend has an obvious casing of some sort that is very distracting and it simply isn't what I would consider a true english mixture.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In general I am not in favor Davidoff, it is this an acquaintance. However I really liked this smoke a lot.

Virginia, flavor coming from the Oriental and a slight scent of Latakia. Proper humidity, can be smoked immediately and remains dry until the end. ThinAir told me that it causes tonque bite. I did not realize such a thing. On the contrary. I thank Yannis from Wine Gallery for his polite gesture of making such a gift to me. I will order 3-4 boxes in the first chance I'll get. I also think that with proper aging and maturing it will taste and feel even better.

I was Impressed by the dark green color that came out of the pipe when I cleaned the shank.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Excellent mixture of great Virginias and mellow Orientals with a pinch of Latakia, topped with a very mild fruit flavor.

It is a shame that Davidoff overprices its products trying to reach elitism. This tobacco is high quality, but not the best by a long shot. It would definitely get 4/4 if reasonable priced.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobbacco is very sweet. As you can expect from an english mixture. When you open the tin, you can smell the latakia. But when you light it, it's not overwhelming. It's sweet. I used to smoke it after long work days. You can be relaxed for sure. I highly recommend this blend for whom like english blends, and of course latakia...

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Very high marks for presentation, as is always the case for Davidoff tobacco tins, I think.

Initial tin note is of a fruity slightly ginger-like whiskey smell. After a few days days that dissipates, whereupon I slightly smell a ghee-like scent. Dry enough, ribbon, with dark chunks predominant.

So I tried this in cobs, braids, etc, tried it fresh out the tin, outta a jar, with and without added humidity. I did this because I wanted to make sure my pipes weren't the cause of the harshness....they weren't. Every so seldom I'd get the sweetness I'd thought Davidoff was aiming for with Royalty-it's a Va forward blend with Orientals after all.... but either the Vas weren't so sweet or the Turkish component ruined that concept (Turkish weed is only good for non-filtered Camel cigs, IMO). I could faintly taste burnt ghee flavor in the first few bowls, but that quickly gave way to the heated harshness I found typical of this blend.

Royalty always burned very hot for me, and any blend that makes me focus on sipping to avoid tongue bite deters from the pleasure. This tin was fresh, no idea of aging it had....which is in itself aggravating.

So the remaining 1/2 tin is now part of my 24oz decanter Amnesia blend, where when mixed with other sub-par Toby will one day make a surprisingly tasty mix :)

Pipe Used: Anything and everything

Age When Smoked: Fresh order

Purchased From: P&C.com

Cultured Explorer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cultured Explorer (7)

This is the first blend I tried with Latakia, and so may be a bit biased. Regardless, it's still one of my favorites, and, oddly, like one of my other early favorites, is one that I can taste and smell throughout the day. I will say, though, that it was also the first blend to give me a major case of tongue bite. However, my body chemistry has since adjusted.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)

Complexity and depth with creamy orientals leading the way. The latakia is consistently present, but never overpowering. Spicy retrohale. Very well balanced blend, burning clean and smooth. 4* delivery.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik Tomato

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 1 month ago

Purchased From: CI

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)

It was my favorite blend, a light sweet and creamy blend that smokes cool. The latikia topping completed the blend and made it classy. it is not perfect though. The taste can get quite ashy as you near the end and the latikia looses its presence half way down the bowl. I would still recommend it for people who want to dwell in the world of English but really for a lot less money you can get better English blends

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin revealed a topping smell that now I know is, butter. I was divided as to the nature of the smell. Was it coming from the Red Virginias or was it a topping, an essence that I could not pinpoint?

The smoke is smooth and buttery,the topping gives it that "classic English mixture" taste. It burns cool to a white ash. Since I prefer my tobacco with as little casing or topping as possible, I would not smoke it again. It was a nice experience in a contemplative after lunch pipe way. A much better mixture from Davidoff, a bit pricey even for Canada. I have to thank a fellow pipe smoker for the opportunity to smoke this offering.

robb.maximilian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robb.maximilian (5)

I dont knowe why everybody tends to hate Davidoff so much. This blend is very pleasent, an almost nutty taste and great aroma. I think it tastes great, not to sweet. Even my non-smoker friends enjoy the smell. The only downside is the price. I paid 30 dollars for this blend, and while it is a pleasant smoke, I think it is a lttle overpriced. If you have the spare cash and you like english blend, try it. It's a very relaxing smoke.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

I smoke two bowls of this every evening I will never be without just quality tobacco.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)

A nice blend overall. Lat. is there and overall a good quality tobacco. However, there is nothing really memorable about it and after about 1/2 a tin I found myself growing board with it. The tin was aged 21 months so it was still in the "new" range but I see no reason to pursue this on any further.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The thing that helped me "get" this blend was the flavor description on this website: butter. My first impression was that this was a smooth english with mild latakia presence and little to no harshness. But when I read the description, butter became the leitmotif of every bowl.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First thing: Smells like smoked... Ham? Sausage? Chorizo? Very strange I thought. This is the first thing I noticed. Then other aromas started to appear, buttery, citric perfumes, flowers.

The smoke is so nice, even, does not bite, gives the goods (Vitamin N). Only drawback is the price; I think it is too much!

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A nice balance of Virginia with a satisfactory addition of Latakia. It can be called a true English mixture, much better to my taste than the epitome blend from Davidoff. Expensive but worth it!

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The red Virginia, orientals and a pinch of Latakia is at it's best. Buttery and smooth with a sense of satisfaction. It is easy to light, burns to fine grey ashes and gives a sense of satisfaction.

Opening the tin instantly reminds you of a horses stable, salty sea breeze and citrus. It is expensive, but you get high quality tobacco. It does well in any kind of pipe, especially a Meerschaum.

Keeping a slice of lemon on top of the carton in the tin will help to keep it moist and not interfere with the taste.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I can't believe I missed this one, I smoked a tin some years ago and its still memorable, very nice English oriental, well reputed and rightly so, quality baccy, it all works, the Virginias hold the blend together, similar to EMP by Dunhill. This is a benchmark blend in the oriental category. If you've always been wondering what the difference between an English and an oriental blend, this one paints the picture for you.

@martz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
@martz (3)

After reading all of the Davidoff reviews and my terrible experience with Davidoff's English mixture Royalty seems to be the only one worth while.

Do smoke this one SLOWLY, otherwise this blend will taste dry and flavorless, which is a compaint that I have seen in one or two of the reviews. If you take long, gentle draws it will taste pleasantly sweet and spicey. This is an enjoyable, mild/medium english blend, possibly best smoked during a warm afternoon.

If you are a hardcore english fan that longs for latakia I still think that you could find some appreciation in this blend every now and then, whether you find it to be a welcomed change of pace, or something that suffices as a decent 'all-day' smoke.

Cheers.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I found the pleasure of Latakia with this blend. It is gooood.

under the arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
under the arbor (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These are very early returns as this baby just arrived in todays post. Took some doing but I finally found a shop that actually had this baby in stock! Another successful (semi-covert) undertaking by our friends at Orlik! A tad heavier on the VA and quite a bit lighter on the Latakia than it's comparables but a winner so far. Zino's heirs sure have a knack for quality but then I expect it from the purveyors of my favorite match-stick!

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

When i bought my first tin of Royalty, 3 years ago i didn't expect it to be so good. I opened the tin (my first tinned tobacco) and the smell was so overwhelming, i got a little scared of its taste.

After some puffs, and now after 3 years, i enjoyed it so much so i'm glad to give 26 euros for each tin (like 2 or 3 times its price in usa) here in Portugal!!

Since then i tried a lot of different latakias tobacco, but i never enjoyed anyone like this! Really love this tobacco!

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit I cannot sign along with the crowd for Royalty.

After 5 pipefuls in the same pipe, there is always a terrible taste - and, thus aftertaste - to it.

This tobacco gave me a headache and made me nauseous because of that awful taste.

I will stick to medallion Flakes with is an excellent VA/PER

Ottani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ottani (4)

This is my personal favorite. The scent from an open tin is great. Packs easily and have a nice soft taste at first. Smells like burning firewook and give a thick pleasant smoke. The best of Davidoff's!

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)

This is something special. It smells great in the tin. It almost prepares you for a great smoke, and it doesn't disappoint.

I smoke it in a medium to large bowl. It produces plenty of smoke, and a good nicotine hit. I don't notice any artificial flavouring in this one - only pure tobacco. It is very well balanced and smokes easily.

Each bowl of this blend is an event for me (which is as it should be, considering the price). I find it refined and highly enjoyable.

One of my favourite English blends.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This can 'smart' the tongue if not treated with respect; however, there is quite a complex mixture of flavour under-tones that emerge through the smoke that almost put this mixture in a class all of its own. Its definitely 'English'as in more oriental with minimum latakia, but reminds me of no other English oriental blend - unique I think. Nice virginias and perfect latakia balance with a slight kick from the big 'N'.

Easy does it, and you have good creamy smooth smoke for anytime of the day and the changing nature of the flavours keeps it very interesting - clearly, top grade tobaccos.

A must try!

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

More a VA mix than a proper English, with literally maybe only 5% or less latakia, I was pleasantly surprised by Royalty. It's smooth, creamy, smokable at any time of day, good N levels and burns very cleanly. In fact it's so much more a VA mixture that I smoke it in my VA dedicated pipe to give my much abused English mix pipe a rest. Have smoked a tin of this in 4 days flat, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Have another tin waiting and will buy some more at the weekend. A solid, quality daily smoke for VA lovers and English converts.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

My favorite english blend right now. All the flavors seem to smooth out very well, letting some shine through more than others as the bowl burns down. The latakia is restrained, but being one partial to aromatics it is perfect. The aftertaste is pleasant and doesn't make is seem like I've used my tongue to grind peppercorns and drive nails like many 'full english blends' so many here rant and rave about. There seems to be very little bite (if any) and smokes as cool or cooler than just about any that I've come across. This stuff even stays lit and burns all the way down to a fine white ash without relights despite my mediocre pipe loading skills.

I'm not sure if this is the blend I bought, mine came in a 50gr gold and white tin that said "royal" not royalty. The guy at the cigar shop said the tins have been sitting there since he started working at the place 3 years ago. (maybe the age made a difference?) Needless to say I bought the other tins, biting my lip paying 13.99 + tax for each little tin: and for that it only gets 3 stars.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

Another winner. Royalty to me is the perfect English, and is everything the tin description says. Smooth full taste of top shelf virginia sweetened with oriental and the perfect amount of latakia. Perfect moisture and burn, no bite if you know the virginia cadence (go slow sweet chariot). A tin note that is pure tobacco with no noticeable casing. Just perfect aftertaste and very satisfying.

As a comparison, Royalty makes Balkan Sasieni seem harsh, is stronger than Frog and less sweet, and has moved Squadron Leader and Skiff out of my rotation.

A tin of Royalty for an English and one of Wessex Sovereign for a vapor and you are covered for life.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A wonderful find in the realm of English tobaccos this is! For those of you read my reviews , you know I like to give clear comparisons to existing tobaccos as a guide. This is a much stronger and more flavorful EMP by Dunhill. It has the same cigarettish note to it, but slightly richer and more interesting. The orientals are in the forefront backed by Virginias. The Latakia is very noticeable but not overpowering. This has no real sweetness yet is not bitter at all. A 3 star plus blend!!

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)

Being a bit wary of too much latakia I bought this blend for its moderate latakia content. The smell in the tin is sweet ans slightly smoky, but the sweetness dominates. The room note is very similar.

The taste is sweet and kindof salty, rather than the peppery taste I get from other latakia blends. It's a nice summer outdoor smoke. The tobacco smokes cool and leave little dottle. The smoke is cool and creamy, which is probably due to the orientals. Not in my top 5, but defenitely worth a try

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Looks like they blended some good quality tobacco here; burns nicely down to a fine grey ash and won't leave your pipe goopy. It'll run a little hot at first loading of the pipe, but gets milder on the first re-light and it will smoke easily and gently through the rest of the bowl.

Other than that,...eh. A nice, mild English blend and that's about all you can say there, matey. I smoke it once in a blue moon while practicing my English accent and it gives my wife an excuse to have the draperies cleaned. Everyone's happy eh?

Northern Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the few good quality tobaccos that are freely available where I live, so I use it now and then even though it is not a first choice with me. I find it too light overall. But is does find a place when I'm in the mood for a lighter smoke very late at night. I find that it burns well and is always well-behaved, if not startling in any of its qualities. I have found that it smokes best in a large, tall pipe; I often use an Ashton LX oversized Lovat, and they combine well. I recommend the Frank (or 'German') method for filling large pipes with tobaccos such as this. I agree with other reviewers that the Latakia element is present but not strong. I'd sum it up as a lighter VA with a little oriental spice. Certainly worth the try.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

If it was reasonably priced, reviews about royalty would double and I would probably be single by now. Yes, "wife rating" equals to "wife hating" with this one.

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

so far may favorite pipe tobacco. a top quality leafs of virgina, oriental and small amount of latakia will provide a great smoking pleasure if you love english blends. great burn to the end of the bowl. very special taste and a bit $$...

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)

It's well balanced giving a cool, salty smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

One of my all-day faves together with the much harder to find Early Morning Pipe. Presentation of the tobacco in the tin is nice but not as good as Dunhill's. Tinnote is just a bit too sugary IMO.

Royalty produces a satisfying lot of smoke. The taste in itself is not remarkable but I find myself picking Royalty surprisingly often in the course of a smoking day...

Roomnote is very pleasant to me and my pipesmoking friends, my girlfriends hates the smell of all my tobaccos so no point in asking her opinion anymore :)

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit that I myself have not been a Davidoff fan until my encounter with Royalty. I like English mixtures with a bit more Latakia and if you are a Latakia lover this might not be your blend as its only used as a condiment. With that said, this blend is made with well aged tobacco's. The Virginia's and Orientals make for a sweet and tangy smoking experience. Royalty, although sweet, is dry tasting and smooth. It packs well and burns cleanly. It is worthy of the Davidoff price point. 3.5 stars, Recommended!

Thunderchunkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thunderchunkie (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Never trying anything with latakia in it made me very anxious to try this! Looked great in the can, had something in the tin note i couldnt identify (maybe the latakia?) Definitely had me interested!

Found it easy to pack but hard to keep lit, and I usually keep a pipe going after one light and a tamp. It tasted great, definitely like nothing I have had before. The virginias were lovely but that flavour escaped me untill 2/3 of the way down the bowl. Thrills chewing gum!!! You know, that purple chicklet kinda gum in the yellow package? It had exactly the same soapy flavour as that in my opinion.

Seeing as this is my first latakia experience, I will have to try more blends and compare, but I loved it!

3 stars untill I have some more to compare it with! A hunting I will go........

DaveyH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveyH (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I couldn't find a tobacco I really liked, most of them were either too fierce or too cloying, and I was about to give up until those helpful people in Davidoff suggested I tried this blend. I'm completely hooked on the complex mix of flavours and the smoothness.

Definitely a classy blend and the roomnote is more than pleasant, it's gorgeous and doesn't smell stale the morning after, always a bonus. Burns evenly and cleanly to a fine powder and tastes great to the bttom of the bowl. I cant find anything bad to say about it, apart from the fact that none of my local shops sell it - but that gives me an excuse to go shopping in London, so clouds and silver linings etc.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing exciting. A well done nutty oriental mixture, but nothing else.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)

English/oriental blends are typically not my favourites when it comes to pipe tobacco, but I make exceptions now and then when it comes to this (and the occasional Nightcap and 965).

"Sniper3" makes a good point. While I do suspect that this would be close to hit the 4-star mark with a bunch of years on it, there really is no obvious need to age it (as there indeed is with many other blends). It's very nice straight out of the tin.

It is more expensive than the competition, and part of the price tag is surely in the brand name alone. But since I don't buy this very often I'm not terribly concerned. Besides, the way things are going, there aren't many cheap tobaccos around anyway (certainly not in Europe). Might as well go with something you know will hit the spot as you'll be shelling out a rather significant portion of your dough anyway, instead of trying to save a few cents and get less quality as a result. That's how I see it anyway.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

After some unpleasant surprises from Davidoff range tobaccos, I've had question marks to buy this one. Well the curiosity never lets me to think a lot.

Well, I was again surprised. But in a pleasant way this time. The sweet virginias are in a very nice colaboration here with the orientals. The latakia is in a bland form, added in a small proportion which fits to my taste. But it can not be enough for latakia lovers.

This is a gentle English mixture with a mild smoke.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

Sorry, but this one gets no rave review from me. What is it with the Danish anyway? With Stanwell pipes, if it is labeled "Royal" whatever, it is not the top of the line. This tobacco is not the top of the line in my opinion, although it is presumptuously overpriced. It looks nice in the tin, nice cut, and loads the pipe well. Leather, cumin and pungent spices? Maybe. But it tastes like plain old cigarette tobacco when smoked. And, my batch anyway, got red hot - even though I do not puff hard. It required constant relighting. I threw it out halfway through the bowl, and had to use my pipe tool, because the stuff was a soggy mess, er, a royal mess.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

Very intriguing tobacco with a full body and complex aromas that are weaved increasingly during the process of smoking.

Initially one encounters the sweet and rather light virginias [upon ignition] which quickly become complicated by aromas of leather, cumin and pungent spices from the Orientals and the Latakia.

Especially recommended for those who though appreciate non-aromatics, are put off by the smoky boldness of Latakia tobacco. As with all Davidoffs, too expensive in the Greek market.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Delightfull tobacco, nice interplay between Virginia and Oriental. Latakia in background, exactly the right amount to give this blend a very refined and luxury taste. Perfect moisture direct from the tin, tends to dry out quick (to quick imo) when opened.

BBK357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBK357 (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Royalty is a medium english blend. Period. I do not have much to say about this blend except it is what you expect when you open the tin, which makes it quite boring. Nothing exciting in this tin. On a good note this tin is full of high quality tobacco. My wife hated the smell of it, said I smelled like I was smoking cigs. Recommended for someone searching for an english blend that is not too harsh.

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I have to completely re-write this review since I made a couple of mistakes when first sampling this tobacco. It seems that my pipes were not as clean as they should have been, due to my unfortunate experimentation with some perique blends. Secondly, this tobacco arrived a bit dry, so a few days in the humidor were necessary to revive it. After proper measures were taken, I can now appreciate this fine and mild smoke. The aroma is exquisite but subtle. Only tobaccos that I enjoyed more were EMP and Penzance. 3 1/2 stars.

grafvonreuter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grafvonreuter (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As an Englishman, I feel that this blend captures the characteristics of our Island Nation perfectly. It is the quintessential English mixture. It is at first reserved with a hint of spice, and throughout my bowl's long acquaintance developed into a lovely rounded and full mixture that was substantial but not overpowering. For an everyday tobacco that will stand firm through the ages (after all, England has been around a while) and be firm in foundation, but mild enough to enjoy, this comes highly recommended. A word of advice, however from the late Miss Ertha Kitt, "an Englishman needs time". Take the time to examine the full subtle complexities of this mixture.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Davidoff Royalty is an epic, classy, luxury oriental mixture, the tobacco quality is at its finest and the taste is delightful.

The Virginia/oriental here share the center stage, the latakia stay discretely in the background, the taste is full bodied, creamy, earthy, with Turkish/oriental dominant. The burning properties are clean cool and soft on the palate.

This is my favorite oriental blend; I could not find anything in the market that can match its quality and taste.

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Having noticed all the comments about the high price of Royalty, I have to point out the disadvantage of living in a rural area. My closest tobacco shop is 90 miles away so I have to order all of my tobacco's on-line unless I want to smoke Prince Albert exclusively. (Not my BallyWag!)

Being an English blend lover, Royalty is right up my ally for a morning smoke, especially in a meerschaum. Smokes cool, stays lit with no bite.

One more thing I have to brag on is the rubber seal in the tin. Some have them, some don't. I have a tin that's been open for about 4 months, and it's just right. I like switching and letting them sit for a while, and hate when my blend dries out to much.

I just ordered two more 50g tins for $10.00US (each, including shipping) intended for aging.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)

Typical of Davidoff, they have taken the English blend and nailed it. This is the quintisential example of the English blend.

The tin note is smokey and woodsy, as is the room note.

The flavor is refined yet masculine. Nothing is overpowering. The Virginia, Latakia, and Orientals are balanced perfectly and produce a pure tobacco smoke of great enjoyment. Like sitting in front of the fireplace on a cold winter night.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This a mild/middle of the road English (in terms of fullness of taste and nicotine) - my favorite category of pipe tobacco! There is just enough Latakia to provide a HINT of smokiness but not so much that tasting food afterward becomes difficult. The room note is pleasant enough that this could be smoked indoors without complaint. Liked it so much I bought a second tin to age.

It is worth repeating what others have mentioned: smoke it a LITTLE slower than a typical heavy English - there are more Virginias in this one might expect from this type of blend and I got bit of tongue bite this first time I tried it. I brief drying out before smoking helps to keep it lit and lessons the aforementioned bite.

As far as the complaints about high price - yeah it's true, but I would say the quality of this particular product is on par with what GL Pease produces at a similar cost. This is great "every-once-in-a-while" luxury smoke!

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Royalty is a great blend if you are on the lesser end of Latakia. I tried this blend which got me into Latakia and then went to Dunhill Nightcap, which is full throttle Latakia. This blend is well rounded and pretty classic. Smoke it on the slower side because it does tend to get hot with constant puffing. Another note is that it does respond well to tight packing, and does "open up" after the false light. Like I stated earlier if you like English, but want a tame Latakia with a light Perique taste than this is it. I haven't purchased a tin in a year or so, but the price wasn't too bad then, around 12 bucks I believe.

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Strong

Nice tobacco, rich taste...but there are a lot of similiar tobaccos that cost much cheaper, so 2 stars

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Hey what do you know, no one has seemed to notice this blend contains Perique! I am pretty sure it does, I can taste its sourness and strength from time to time, I have smoked it in a brand new pipe, A Vauen Oxford so yhis should be a good indicator of its taste. For the rest, it is a high quality, high priced blend that smokes cool and has a full taste, with some harshness sometimes. Recommended!

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Yes, this is what I had hoped for from Davidoff english. It packs well, it is a bit to moiste just out of the tin, but with a little drying it burns well, and is bite-free. a reliable all day smoke

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

How to describe this blend without raising false expectations? It is an english/oriental blend, for there is latakia/oriental present- not much though. But when we hear english we often think of a whole other type of tobacco. We think, EMP, nightcap and 965 and so on. No, royalty is not that. The key to this blend are the virginia's. Sip it like a VA (and forget it's Englishness). Use your VA technique. Notice the roundness, the sweetness and the subtelty. And then BANG you get it! The VA's are complemented with the oriental leaf which give the natural sweetness of the VA a nutty/woody/smoky edge. The oriental smokiness here is not a goal in itself. In fact the components blend into each other so finely, it is hard to say where one ends and the other begins. Royalty is then another way of smoking VA. VA's tend IMHO (and I seem to remember comments of Mr Dunhill stating the same) to be subtle (and in the worst case, well..bland). So sometimes they are topped to give it some extra flavour, this is an alternative where the va is complemented with oriental as condimental leaf for this litte "extra" taste. As for the room note: last time I lit up a bowl of this, my wife came into my smoking den and stayed for quite a while without making ANY complaint.

The only real drawback to this blend is that in all its brightness, mildness and roundness, it has not realy enough body to be a good after dinner smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

The best of Davidoff pipe tobaccos - or should one say the only one of Davidoff pipe tobaccos worth the bother? Royalty is a very elegant, understated mixture. The virginias and orientals are top quality, and the Latakia is discreetly applied - like rubbing a salad bowl lightly with garlic. I have smoked it with pleasure at all times of the day. The room note is a delight to come back to.

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)

I Have to be honest with you, I expected more from Davidoff here. Their Cigarettes are Fantastic, their Cigars - not bad either, but their pipe mixtures are extremely average.

The tin was mixed poorly, with large clumps of virginia, missing the dark spicy flecks promised, and other patches mixed properly, but the spices were stalky, too dry and almost twig-like in cases. Hmmmm... Not impressed for $50 New Zealand per tin!

Its not that this isnt an enjoyable smoke, or that all of the leaf is of poor quality, its just that this tobacco is sort of, well, ho-hum.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably buy it again, but only if I was strapped for decent English blends at the crunch time.

Lovers of virginia tasting mixtures will be happy here, but I prefer a little more Latakia frankly, and a bit o Perique too Me Hearties! Davidoff Royalty - its no Dorisco, but can be an enjoyable pipe - get EMP or the above over this and you'll feel more satisfied and less scammed!

Come on Davidoff - you can do better!!!!!

3.5 out of 10 without meaning to be harsh!!! Honesty is the best policy in my book!!!

Aluminio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aluminio (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

English mixture? Why? The topping contents more than a light strain of chemical cherry, taking the place of the "fruity" note. Then you realize there is also a menthol note in the smoke, the "cool" part. That is more like a dutch or danish mix, or, well, maybe something got lost in the translation. It contains some Virginia, whose subtleties are almost absent thou, maybe sequestered by the cherry, the menthol and the latakia. Oh yes, Latakia is there, so what? I noticed that latakia tends to burn out the smoker's sense of taste, so nothwithstanding that I love latakia dearly I don't consume it in a daily basis; good for me or I would surely not have noticed the shortcommings of this "Royalty". I am sure my colleagues were unable to note all this because they didn't have a clean pipe to try it, nor have they been smoking only virginia for a week, like I did.

All in all this is not a terrible smoke, but it is a cheap mixture.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: I've smoked a few ounces of this several different pipes. It seems to come out best in a Group 4 Dunhill. It is a rather expensive tin of tobacco, in accord with Davidoff's position as a high-priced tobacconist. However, unlike their cigars, many will question the worth of the pipe tobacco. Still, this blend does fall in line philisophically with the Davidoff tradition of opulence in taste.

Appearance: 40% each of bright golden and reddish brown leaf with the remainder comprising light to dark brown leaf with a few black strands mixed in; all this as a medium to thick ribbon, ready rubbed and not overly moist in the tin.

Aroma: Spice cake, cream custard, corriander, mace, cloves, honey, smoke, boysenberry, fig.

Taste: Mild tendency to dry the mouth. Very smooth. Creamy mouthfeel on the palate. Nutty Virginia flavors, mildly sweet but never honeyed or cloying. Figs, smoke, strawberry shortcake, olive oil, patchouli, pecans.

Comparisons: Smooth, like Dunhill's Baby's Bottom, but with more pronounced English flavors. Like Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe but far fuller on the palate and a shade less sweet. Not nearly the latakia fest that Dunhill's Durbar is, though.

Bottom Line: For those who seek an English blend, full on the palate but mild in flavor, extremely smooth and restrained.

I usually smoke stronger mixtures, usually full Balkans, but this has been one of the best changes of pace within the last year. Virginias take the front row here, with spicy and pungent orientals to balance the sweetness in a refined way. Latakia hides itself, providing a musky background especially in the second part of the bowl. If I should choose an adjective to explain this blend I will probably say refined, elegant.

ricardo pear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ricardo pear (7)

This is on OK English blend that was a ridiculous price of $40 AusD, or about $30 USD. Taxes over here are insane.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Some of us pipers prefer a balanced English (read easy on the Latakia) and this blend delivers. Nice English, paid about $7.00(usd) which isn't too bad for a quality blend. For those who love Latakia there is "Old Ironsides".

FiveRings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiveRings (21)

A very "easy" tocacco to light , to keep smoking , and pleasant to those around you. Yet, in my opinion, it does not compare favourably to Dunhhil blends , even to mild ones . Very subtle, but not memorable, Latakia flavor . The real players of the blend are the VA / Orientals, but again nothing out of the ordinary . Expensive for an average rating .

pedro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pedro (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If some reviewers are amazed about the price of this tin, I don't really agree, because hear you get a real good English leaf. It's worth every penny like most of Dunhill English Tabaccos.

In my oppinion it has it all: packs simply, lights well and burns really cooool (the proof of great quality).

It's got a nutty + woody taste which is always present. The top virginas give it a wonderful creamy taste - somehow you might think of something earthy....

In many ways it reminds me of smoking a good quality cigar, since many flavours of Royalty also exist in a "hand rolled" cigar.

It's top ranked in my English bar (I only smoke English tabaccos) and it has the stuff to become an all day smoke.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)

I don't get it. This tobacco offers nothing you won't find with other English blends. It's not bad, but for $12 a tin, you'd expect to find something more, like maybe a moneyclip to hold the twelve fewer dollars remaining in your pocket or something. But that?s not the case; all you find is good, but way overpriced tobacco. Davidoff may try to pass itself off as a sophisticated purveyor to the elite, but the price is more packaging and marketing than tobacco quality. Let me put it bluntly: you don't get what you pay for.

This is a passable English, but unless someone offers me a bowlful, I see absolutely no reason why I shouldn't stick with my Dunhills and Petersons, who offer great Englishes for a little more than half the price.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Brotherblue couldn't be more correct! This overpriced tobacco is a blah, bland,and a run of the mill non exciting english tobacco blend. Davidoff tobaccos are absolutely overpriced for the middle of the road quality.

Rocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rocket (7)

Make no mistake about it....this tobacco is "Top Shelf" in all aspects. Very similar to the Dunhill varieties in that it has the kind of cut I really like....a fine thin ribbon type mixture that lights and burns exceptionally well. It also has an aroma and taste that is nothing short of fantastic. For the most part....this blend has all the virtues I look for in a premium smoke.

So why don't I give this blend the highest rating you might ask ? Simply put....the enormous price!!! With so many premium blends on the market today.....this one just does not warrant double the cost of all the others. I will however splurge and buy a tin on rare occasions to indulge myself, but beyond that....no way Jose.

Give it a try though and judge its merits based upon your discriminations. I think you'll be quite pleased with the product, but a wee bit turned off by the price.

Craven-A Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Craven-A (5)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

This is a rich, heavy oriental blend. I'm not an expert in English blends, but I do know Dunhill's Durbar and I thought Royalty was aiming at the same thing, only succeeding even better. There is more oriental flavour in this than there is in Durbar, but the price is far higher. Since I don't go through a lot of English I don't mind, but this isn't a tobacco to smoke if you're on a budget.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is another Ken McConnell blend that McConnell duplicated for the late, lamented Elephant & Castle at a time when Davidoff tobaccos were not available in the U.S. Elephant & Castle marketed this as "The Cromwell." Well, it's been 18 years since I smoked the Cromwell, and Royalty is no longer London-made, so I can't comment how the current version holds up against its predecessor. But I can say that this is an extremely smooth, rich, cool-smoking English, and a class act all the way. (And I'm not even a great fan of English blends.) It's only drawback is its rather stiff price.

In spite of its name, I find this to be a very nice, easy going tobacco. Nothing extraordinary for Latakia lovers, but otherwise a very good all day Va/Oriental smoke. Like all Davidoff?s blends, the tobacco used in Royalty (matured Virginia, a very mild type of Turkish, and a hint of Latakia?probably from Cyprus) is top quality. Its ribbon cut makes it easy to pack and light. It burns nicely (no trouble in keeping it lit) and the room aroma is one which my wife can more or less cope with.

Upon lighting, the tobacco tastes basically of Virginias, undoubtedly the stars of the mixture. But the Turkish/Oriental elements play their role very well, every now and then coming to the fore to make themselves felt. The Latakia remains in the background, but by mid-bowl its musky presence creeps up to contribute to a the final, satisfying flavour.

I don?t think this could be thought of as an entirely English mixture, in the sense that it is not a full bodied tobacco. It differs even from milder Latakia mixtures, such as Early Morning or London Mixture (it may be closer to Apertif, which I have not yet tried), in that it has a drier, woody flavour. It does not gurgle, and it leaves both the pipe bowl and the smoker?s palate clean.

If you are looking for an all day smoke with some Latakia and Orientals, this is an excellent choice. In so far as its strength is not overwhelming, one does not grow tired (or numb) after several bowls, but it is savoury enough to enjoy.