Davidoff Royalty

(3.27)
A classic English with a beautifully refined flavor. Mature Virginia and Oriental tobaccos spiced with a pinch of latakia.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.27 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews
Aug 07, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A nice, light latakia blend of predominately virginias and orientals. The color is mostly light with streaks of black and the cut is a ribbon - very easy to pack. I should also note that Davidoff gets high marks for presentation. The inner paper is of higher quality than most. It all looks very nice.

The tobacco taste is of sweet virginia with a sidebar of orientals, including a smallish dose of latakia. I'd call it soft, but in a good way. Reminds me vaguely of some other blends I've smoked but I can't put my finger on them. This is a good solid blend but doesn't really distinguish itself much. It's hardly what I would call complex, but it has a nice, steady flavor that does not disappoint. It could not be coaxed to bite but it does get harsh if overpuffed.

My biggest complaint about this one is the cost. But if that doesn't cross your eyes, give this a try. It's a good if not great blend that does nothing wrong but I didn't find it unique or tasty enough to make my rotation. For a blend named "Royalty", it seemed rather ordinary to me.
Apr 22, 2014 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Mild and smooth yet surprisingly intriguing . Slight sweetness stays the whole bowl with the Orientals providing a nice scent and just the right spice , almost cinnamon like. Latakia perfectly balanced and in the background. Not a big "N" kick and not a heavy bodied smoke , but I could see myself smoking this anytime and all day, Nice light change of pace. I find it more interesting than Lanes LEO but similar in strength but not as sweet. Possibly has some similarities to Chonowitsch T17 with those "Gingerbread Orientals". This is a better indoor tobacco as it seems to get lost outside.

Update : 2017-04-22- I just opened a tin that had 3 years of cellar time and was excited to try an aged bowl, what a disappointment ! Totally bland !!! I waited another week and tried a second bowl, same thing totally blah ! I decided I must have been wrong with my original review or got a bad tin. I just threw it aside and was going to give it away when after about 2 months I tried it again, Wonderful !!! The remainder of the tin was great ??? Moral of the story, Give this blend plenty of time to breath .
Pipe Used: cob
Age When Smoked: 1 month
Jun 20, 2005 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Mello, sweet and spicy all at once with an after taste that grows more complex as your bowl descends. I liked it very much, having smoked it in a Maestro De Paja bent billiard that has a bit of a tight draw. With that, still no bite. The tobacco is beautiful in the tin, blonds, reds and dark ribbons all uniform and well packed; an odor of smokiness (the Va?) and some light undertone of fruit sneaks in if you wait for it, all is very light to the nose. At first I thought this was going to be a somewhat bland smoke, after a bit of a mellow start (nothing wrong with that) the flavors built to a very nice subtle English/Oriental mix, with neither characteristic really overpowering or becoming subservient to the other. I love it. On a useless bit, the tin?s packaging is lovely, you get this wonderful ring of paper to pack within to keep from spilling. I have not purchased any of the tins that have this to date, very considerate and charming. This will be the first time I do not immediately transfer to a jar, I am going to keep it in the tin for a bit. Being a Father?s Day gift I am not at liberty to say if this was worth the price, as so many often complain about in relation to this brand, however, if I had the money and were in a shop I do think I would grab a tin from time to time and savor it because it is unique; spicy and mild all at once, English and somehow ?not? so. If I were to say to myself ?I can get _____ that is just as good for less money? I would miss out on a great deal of variety in my life. I think it is worth it to have a few things I splurge on from time to time, and do every now-&-again. I will do so with Davidoff?s if they are like this. Namaste?
Nov 03, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Smoking this smooth tobacco with some cellar age (8 years) on it vastly improves an already excellent blend. Perception of various tobacco notes and nuances is a very subjective experience for all of us. That said, this reminded me of mushrooms sauteed in butter with hints of sweet carmelized onions and a side of mashed potatoes and beef gravy. A real savory smoke.
Pipe Used: Lorenzetti bent apple, Rossi prince
Age When Smoked: 8 yrs.
Sep 16, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Bag note is Latakia some spice and some lite earth notes. My sample was a bit on the dry side. I suspect its a bit on the aged side. The ribbon cut is very small pieces. Packs very easily. This is an Oriental /Turkish forward blend the Latakia and the Virginias are in the background. The Virginias give just a touch of sweetness and The Laticia provides just a bit of smokiness. This blend gets much better after smoking 1/4 of the bowl. I suspect the Virginias need to stove a bit. My guess is this will age nicely. Don't let the first few puffs put you off. Its a bit harsh at the start but smooths out once it gets going. Defiantly has a few rough edges and a slight cigarette taste if puffed hard. If you take your time and really keep track of your smoking cadence this blend will be quite rewarding. Nic hit is medium. Not sure I would consider this an all day smoke but more of a sit on the back porch winter blend. Three stars.
Pipe Used: White elephant Briar
PurchasedFrom: friend gift
Age When Smoked: gift not sure but aged a bit
Oct 12, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I was always curious about this one... Never really was too excited about trying a Davidoff blend as it seems to me a bit overpriced stuff. Nonetheless I have found this at a local tobacconist here at a relatively okay price (for brazilian high taxation standards) and I thought I would just give the tin a try. Turned out the stuff is quit quite good. Good presentation, cardboard foil over the contents is pretty decent and covers well the tobacco preserving it's moisture level, which is pretty decent and good to be smoked just right off the bat...Cut is very fine, packs easily... Colors - Golden red virginias predominate without any doubt and a 5-10% max of latakia leaf intermingle with black hues. A natural sweet aroma from the VAs with a smoky latakia scent is what you get when whaffing out the molecules evaporating from the blend inside the tin, waitinmg there to be packed into your pipe. Loaded one of my marvelous Stanwells and charred the first stroke of ignition to it, making the tobacck expand... First draw gave me a salty, slightly smokey sensation, with upfront Virginia flavours entranced. The bowl evolutes without bite to a better predominancy of the latakia flavours... I love latakia and wish the could maybe double the contenst of the leaf here... but overall this is a pretty good and not overpowering baccie to the English mixture puffer. Resembles me of the Dunhill Early Morning pipe beloved blend. only downturn here is really the brand's price...
May 28, 2020 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This blend has suprised me! I love english and latakia blends, but sometimes I don't smoke just for the fact that they can be overwhelming. This one right here is the perfect smoke for those situations. It is a whole day smoke, with a very satisfying latakia content, married very successfully to the virginas and orientals. This can easily be a whole day smoke for any english and latakia lovers.

Wish you all a happy smoke!
Pipe Used: Big Ben Bent Pipe
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Aug 16, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong
I received a sample of Royalty from the TinSociety.com monthly box.

It lives up to the description as a mellow English. The orientals are really taking the lead here to me. There is a nice spiciness along with a subtle smokiness from the latakias in the background.

Smoked slow, I didn't get any tongue bite and feel it is a pleasant level of nicotine without being overwhelming.

No problems lighting and it burned great without requiring a relight.
Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Poker
PurchasedFrom: TinSociety.com Box
Age When Smoked: Unknown
Jul 30, 2015 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
My favorite Davidoff blend. This is a very well put together English mixture. Tin aroma upon opening is smokey LAT and wet hay. Very pleasent indeed. Very nice ribbon cut. A bit of drying out can be useful. Easy to pack and to light.

The first impression is its lightness and gentle smoke. NO bites .The Latakia is there but not in an overwhealming way. In conclusion this is a good tobacco. I think that smokers who do not know English mixtures can debut well with this one. It is soft, round, without aggressiveness with subtle and very present flavors that remain in the mouth for a while. The room note is nice.

This blend is satisfying, from the beautiful presentation till the end of the bowl. And it ages pretty well too.

The only negative point here is the price. Other than that, here in Europe, Davidoffs are usually easy to find, so I think I will be buying this again.

There are plenty of good English blends out there- and cheaper ones as well- But this one is very good stuff.
Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Canadian
PurchasedFrom: Tabac des Vosges Paris
Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin
Mar 07, 2010 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I must admit that I myself have not been a Davidoff fan until my encounter with Royalty. I like English mixtures with a bit more Latakia and if you are a Latakia lover this might not be your blend as its only used as a condiment. With that said, this blend is made with well aged tobacco's. The Virginia's and Orientals make for a sweet and tangy smoking experience. Royalty, although sweet, is dry tasting and smooth. It packs well and burns cleanly. It is worthy of the Davidoff price point. 3.5 stars, Recommended!

target="_blank"