A delightful aromatic blend of burleys and black cavendish infused with the flavor of pomegranate, an exotic fruit originally from the middle East that was a particular favorite in the 18th Century and found growing on the grounds of Mt. Vernon, Monticello and around the homes of other Founding Fathers.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl

2.7
Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I ordered this blend in bulk form along with a handful of other tobaccos I had never tried. After smelling and inspecting each bag, I held the Founding Fathers blend under my nose and held it there for about ten minutes. My wife asked me to stop because it was "creepy". She said I looked like a drug addict huffing spray paint out of a bag. This stuff seriously smells and smokes amazing. I'd rather not smoke at all than smoke a sticky, sweet, aromatic blend, so I was very pleased with this tobacco. It touches that "middle ground" balance that I look for in a pipe tobacco. Also, for the very first time ever, my wife walked outside while I was smoking this and said that it smelled good. This may not seem like a big deal, but keep in mind that she's smelled the room notes of dozens of different pipe tobaccos and claimed that they all smell the same to her, like cigarettes. So just a warning: if you buy this blend your wife may want to hang out with you while you smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Viking , Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 day

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

An excellent mild aromatic.

It does not smoke hot or wet and and smells great while burning. I only notice the fruity notes of pomegranate occasionally but it very nice when I can and it gives a more exotic quality than just your standard vanilla Cavendish.

Plus, you can buy it in bulk for a great price. It's hard to beat that!

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I realize to some in the pipe world, liking an aromatic is akin to someone telling a hard core foodie that they like sliders. I like a good gourmet meal, but sometimes a craving for sliders overtakes me. It's the same with me and aromatics. I get burned out on the Va-Per's and the heavy latakia blends from time to time and I want an aromatic. Founding Father's by Cornell & Diehl certainly has satisfied this urge.

When I opened the tin I was confronted with the standard burley based aromatic look. Loose ribbons in various lengths, with a couple of stems visible, with the various brown hues of the burley dominating the small ribbons of black cavendish. I could definitely smell the pomegranate topping when I opened the lid, and putting my nose to it was very satisfying. It was clean feeling to the touch, and slightly moist like most aromatics, so I let it dry out for about an hour before loading my first bowl.

An unlit sip brought a faint tartness of the pomegranate flavoring to my lips, and the initial puffs filled my mouth with the same refreshing tartness. After the biggest part of the flavor burned off I was left with a simple and uncomplicated burley/cavendish blend that delivered the occasional whiff of the topping. It did not burn too hot for me, and gave me no bite through various bowls, even when I became vigorous when I had it loaded in cobs and meerschaums. It left no residue in my mouth, burning to a gray ash, and none in my bowl. There was none of that sticky goop I often find from aromatics. The room note was very pleasant, very similar to the smell of cranberry oatmeal cookies baking.

I like this blend. It has no bite for me, the simple burley/cavendish mixture it becomes part way through the bowl was satisfying on the nicotine delivery level, and the pomegranate was a pretty refreshing flavor on these hot and humid Kentucky evenings. I would recommend this blend to anyone who likes aromatics or the flavor of pomegranates or for someone who is looking for an aromatic that doesn't deliver a scalding bite. If you are in search of a good cherry aromatic, the flavor is close enough to a tart cherry to be a nice substitute, and the room note is top notch. I will definitely be buying more.

Update: I found a 3 year, 3 month old tin in my cellar and decided to give it a go. The flavoring certainly did not hold up, and I prefer it fresh, which in hindsight is totally normal. It mostly tasted like a tart and sour top note that came in and out and the Cavendish dominated. By all means smoke it fresh, but I wouldn't recommend letting it sit at all.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The burleys are a little nutty and slightly sweet, but toned down, probably because at least one of the burleys is toasted. Even still, they do less than they should. The black cavendish offers a very mild vanilla smoothness in the background. The pomegranate topping is mild and sweet, but doesn't have a real depth of flavor. Has very little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns slightly fast, but clean and cool with a fairly consistent flavor. Needs few relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The after taste as boring as the smoke itself. Works okay if you want an unobtrusive work and play smoke.

-JimInks

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The tin note of this blend I found very interesting. A pomegranate and sweet virginia tobacco.

This blend did burn smooth, and was pretty free from tongue bite.

The room note was pleasant and different from other tobaccos. Wouldn't really know how to describe it. The taste was alright, but not as good as I would hope for. I think this blend was kind of hard to pull off, even for such a great blender such as C & D.

I wouldn't say to not try this blend, but not one I would buy again.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Peterson System (Bent), Cob

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (76)
Mild Strong Medium Unnoticeable

Founding Fathers is easy to smoke albeit not easy to like. It's unnaturally moist which makes filling your pipe a delicate business. There's a very fine point between packing it too loose and too tight. And because the baccy won't dry the problem persists.

I suspect it's made of crushed plastic pellets. The flavour is dubiously chemical.

Having said that it's a harmless, middle of the road, everyday, everyman smoke. The fun bit is playing word games with the name as you get increasingly bored with it. Foundering Fathers, Floundering Fathers, Fondling Fathers etc.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billiard.

Age When Smoked: New.

Purchased From: Tobacco Online

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying, Cornell & Diehl are the best at what they do. So much respect it owed to them for the hundreds of fantastic blends. However, this blend was a bit of a let down. I've been on the hunt for a good aromatic as a break from my steady diet of heavy English, Virginia and Deer Tongue blends. This blend was yet another one I can check off the list of candidates. For the positives it is very well cased. Didn't leave a pool of aromatic goo as most cased blends seem to do. It also burned very cool with no tongue bite and gave a fantastic room note. On the down side there is no noticeable flavor to the smoke. The cavendish is bland while the burleys go unnoticed. The pomegranate casing is also not very noticeable in the flavor. Its was there but you really have to do some searching to find it. I enjoy strong bold flavors in my tobacco and this blend just did not cut if for me. However if all you are looking for is a blend with a fantastic room note for smoking around non smokers then this would be a suitable choice. For me though, my hunt for a suitable aromatic continues.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (145)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good aromatic blend. It does have the right amount of Burley and cav. to allow you to taste the tobacco and still burn evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl, clean and dry. The topping is pomegranate and while sweet has that slight bitterness to it as well. It is always present throughout the bowl but at times is stronger than others. This is not a bad blend I would be good from time to time as a change of pace. However, the wife did not care for the room note and as I near the end of the tin I find it harder to go back to. I doubt I will order another soon.

Age When Smoked: Tin was 6 months old

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 54

Rated Percentage = 90%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, very slight fruity Flavor, a whisper of a Bite, McCelland M55 is better

Paleoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paleoman (9)

After 5 good pipes of Founding Fathers, I feel better able to give an accurate assessment. I used the same pipe for all five puffs, a Savinelli Oscar Aries 122 billiard.

After my first 3 bowls I would have given it 3 stars, but after settling in to the last 2, I would back off a bit and give it a solid 2 stars. For me, the newness of a blend tends towards the extremes, and by about the 5th bowl I usually, but not always, migrate toward the middle.

What this blend does best is mix the right amount of burley and cavendish to achieve a consistent burn all the way to the bottom of the bowl, while retaining the flavors of the tobacco throughout. The pomegranate flavoring presents most in the first quarter of the bowl. Unlike other reviewers, I never noted the flavoring after that, which is fine because it does not interfere with the tobacco.

As others have noted, the blend does not burn too hot or wet and therefore does not leave the stereotypical aromatic "goop" in the bottom of the bowl.

Now, while the blend of tobaccos and topping is just right, I found something lacking in the overall flavor. It was not unsatisfying, but it was not completely satisfying in overall experience. Perhaps a wee bit of Virginia may give a bit more to the body of the smoke.

I do recommend this for aromatic smokers who are migrating toward the Virginia/Burley/Perique blends as a way to transition their palate, but I will probably not buy another tin as a personal puff. I would like to have had more of the flavoring present throughout the smoke in the absence of the missing element.

Overall, very good, and I will enjoy the rest of tin, but it did not leave a lasting impression.

SCHRODINGER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SCHRODINGER (1)

wonderful aromatic.... much has been said about pomegrante fruit, as found at George Washington's Mount Vernon and Thomas Jefferson's Monticello in this blend.....but I detect a possible 'paw paw' essence.... paw paw is also richly cultivated at Mount Vernon and Monticello; also widely found growing here in Kentucky......

Pipe Used: Briars and Meerschaum

Cornell & Diehl - Founding Fathers.

This morning I stumbled around sleepily wanting an English. I saw the loose pouch of Founding Fathers in my cupboard, wrongly thought 'English', and filled my morning bowl. An English it is not. A middle ground, somewhat boring, aromatic, it is.

Burley accounts for a higher proportion of F.F., black Cavendish takes credit for less than a quarter. Because I bought this bulk the moisture's decent, albeit that's a useless fact should you buy a full 2oz tin.

As expected the Burley outweighs the black Cavendish, but has a pleasant flavour: sweet, nutty, and toasty. The topping doesn't warrant as much applause, though: quite sharp and sour. The vanilla from the small amount of black cavendish removes some of the causticity, but not enough. The burn from it's a better feature as it's relatively cool.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

Founding Fathers? Two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Caminetto

Age When Smoked: Two months

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (162)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like a can't miss wallop of flavor in my aromatic. I didn't even realize Founding Fathers was one until halfway through the bowl the nice gentleman who offered it to me asked me how I liked the aromatic. It had a neutral so-so nutty flavor, but I would have to be in a non-aromatic mood to want to revisit this one.

Suffice to say, it missed the mark for me. In fact, this is the fourth blend I've smoked from Cornell & Diehl and all but one have gotten 1 star, the lucky one got 2! Maybe I just havn't tried the right one, but as things currently stand, I'm avoiding their products.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I do like C&D aros for several reasons and this does satisfy all the elements. First and foremost, they have a lot of nicotine. Second, the base burleys and Cavendish are rich with plenty of body to remind the smoker that it is tobacco not candy they are smoking. Third, they smoke cool and lack any potential to bite. Finally, the lack of a chemical taste leads many to have a natural type taste to the desired aroma.

So Founding Fathers is right on board with this. If this were all that were required then all C&D aros would carry four stars. To differentiate these aros all comes down to how the individual toppings taste to me. Four stars = I love this (Autumn Evening). Three Stars = This is pretty good (Nutty Irishman). Pretty much all else is a two star to my taste and this is where this one lies.

Pomegranate is a flavor I enjoy in juice, but I despise the fruit as the seeds are bitter and the fruity part around each seed is so small to not be worth the effort. However, Founding Fathers just doesn't taste very pomegranate to me. Maybe a little like the concentrate juice that requires dilution. The bottom line is that this topping was not too agreeable to my tastes.

My reviews are always based on how the tobacco strikes me and this is why I give it two stars, but based on my opening praising of C&D aros, this may likely be a four star blend to someone who does like this topping and it would be to me, if I liked the topping.

tfanelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tfanelli (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I was bummed reading all the so-so reviews on this blend, but I was really surprised when I tried it. The pouch note is sweet and bright, very pleasant. Several folks commented that this was the high point of the tobacco, opening it, but it's really a well-balanced note. Not sickening sweet, more of a fruity sweet with tang. On the light I noticed that exact same sweet tangy-ness then it subsided a bit... You have to pay attention to the flavor in this one, its not obvious enough to be in your face, but its also very present if you are dialed into it. Overall I really liked this, it lights easy, is not super wet and sticky, has a great flavor and easy to smoke. I smoked this in a small Calabash pipe and it was delightful.

Pipe Used: Calabash

Age When Smoked: out of the tin

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I received a tin of this in the SPC C&D "Aromatic Sampler" package.

Tin note is very pleasant with lots of pomegranate amongst the tobacco aroma. The burly is noticeable with a bit of nuttiness you would expect. There isn't a whole lot of sweetness which I kind of expected there to be and for me the pomegranate topping comes and goes through the first half of the bowl or so. Every now and then you'll get a burst of the flavoring and then it's gone again. Toward the end of the smoke I don't notice it at all.

The Cavendish tames the burley some, and adds a little vanilla-ish taste.

The tobacco is high quality (it's C&D after all) but I can't say as there's anything stand out about this blend. It's a good absent minded smoke as it packs and burns well and doesn't need much attention. Worth trying I think, but I don't know that I'll purchase it again.

Pipe Used: Cobs mostly

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Purchased From: SPC

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)

Occasionally I will turn to an aromatic for a change of pace from my steady diet of heavy english and baltic/oriental blends. Through the years I have only found a few blends I could actually smoke and this blend is near the top. Easy packing, easy burning, and a taste that doesn't overwhelm the senses. It is truly an all day smoke. Very little bite if smoked properly and the hint of flavoring is just enough to make you wonder. Delightful.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a mild smoke with a fresh tart/sweet taste that burns cool and dry. Good aromatic and not an overly sweet flavour.

Randy Tuggle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Randy Tuggle (21)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Vastly different in flavor with Pomegranate used as the topping. At first you might say, WOW! Keep in mind this is an aromatic - and it's not your founding father's actual tobacco. You'll have to burn this extremely slow in order to keep the flavor as noticeable for any length of time. Like many C&D aromatics as of late, for me, this one tends to fall short of being one that I would repurchase. Nice to try it out once, I guess, but it's not a very intriguing blend for me. This might work as a first tobacco for the new pipe smoker as I didn't have any issues with tongue bite and it burned fairly well.

Pipe Used: Petersons, Algerian briars, Italian briars

Age When Smoked: fresh - bulk purchase

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (158)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

whelp....its certainly an aromatic. I tried, and i guess as aro's go its not bad at all. But mostly the tobacco lacks distinction, and while the idea for this blend is intriguing, i cant imagine Ill buy more.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28472)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

taste of burly and cavendash, with a sweet fruit taste not too overwheelming but just right smooth a all day smoke

SiriusAmory Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiriusAmory (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco burned incredibly well and required very few relights. The pomegranate flavoring was fairly noticeable and at times a bit overpowering, causing a little bitterness. There were some notes of cream, nuts, and a bit of earth and pepper.

Age When Smoked: 1 week after opening tin

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (95)

Another quality aromatic Burley/Cavendish mixture from C&D! The sweet/tart pomegranate flavor is apparent first with a little vanilla added. I don't detect the same strong alcohol aroma that I find in Old Grove. The Cavendish is smooth and burns very cool. The Burley gives a great nutty background note. Not quite a complex blend but the shift between fruit, vanilla, cavendish, and burley keeps it interesting as the bowl progresses. Great flavor, room note, & burn.