We begin with the finest Virginias and just enough Latakia to provide the taste that so many crave then press it to marry the flavors. We then tumble it out to a broken flake for easy packing and add just a touch of chocolate to awaken the senses. The end result is a blend that satisfies all day for a walk through the Dales yet is welcome in the drawing room in the evenings thanks to warm chocolate aroma.

BrandTwo Friends

3.4
bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pleasant little change of paced tobacco...Nice little transition between English and Aromatic blends...If you're an Aromatic smoker and would like to try some English/Balkan blends, try this to ease your way...Also would work if you're an English/Balkan smoker and would like to dip into Aromatics...Just enough flavoring to make it interesting...Flavoring does not overpower the Virginias or the Latakia...I could see some even using this as an every day tobacco...Would be welcome as part of a regular rotation.

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: fresh from Smokingpipes

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was fortunate to discover a tin dated August 2011 at the tobacconist, so this blend doubtless benefited from a few years of sitting and thinking about itself. Presentation is beautiful, dark broken flake. I have to agree with a reviewer from a few years back that the initial tin note is Latakia-forward. Interestingly, I stirred the tobacco around a bit with my finger in the tin and doing so released a pleasant aroma of light cocoa. It was reminiscent of the powdered cocoa one would use to make chocolate milk.

From the charring light through the first third of the bowl, I tasted mainly Latakia. Good Latakia. Which was fine, but not the reason I purchased this tobacco. I seemed to get chocolate in small doses, interspersed worth the Latakia, with little harmony between the two. I continued skeptically.

I have to say that after the initial third, as the Virginias begin to assert and tie the blend together, this blend really came alive for me. The Virginias are smooth as silk, the Latakia becomes a true condiment, and the chocolate is very sweetly subtle. This blend burns very dry and cool, truly leaving the proverbial grey-white ash. Absolutely no doddle. This is definitely an English blend, not an aromatic. A crossover blend, perhaps, but one that can stand on its own to satisfy English smokers looking for a change of pace that's still true to its roots. Sweet, savory, smoky, and very satisfying.

Edit: this stuff is really growing on me. Maybe it's the change in seasons. Upgrading to 4 stars as I find myself reaching for this more often. A nice inside smoke when company is present and one desires a balance between room note and flavor.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this on a fluke. I needed another 10 dollars on my order to get free shipping, so I wanted to find something totally out of my realm.

I was looking for a latakia blend that I could smoke indoors, so I searched for something sweet, but with a latakia punch.

The tin note is awesome, perfect moisture and free of humectants. All medium brown leaf makes up this blend. The cut is a bit weird, a small chopped ribbon, that is easily sucked through the stem into your throat. This is the only drawback to this blend.

Moderate notes of smoky latakia with an upfront chocolate note that is in perfect harmony with the latakia. Thick smoke produces a great room note, and the blend smokes great and leaves the pipe extremely dry. If you are looking for a chocolate blend that delivers the fullness of an English, look no further.

Nice cocoa aroma in the tin and room note. As many others have noted, just a hint of the cocoa in the actual taste, and I rarely got any Latakia flavors. For me, this burns a tad hot and acts more like a Cavendish-based blend than a VA, and is a bit too sweet for my taste, so overall, to me, it's closer to a true aromatic blend than a flavored English. Recommended for aro-lovers, I prefer to cut it with more Latakia-based blends.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum, cob

Age When Smoked: 2 years when opened

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

High quality tobacco with a high quality flavoring to create an outstanding blend from an outstanding manufacturer. The Virginias are sweet, the flavoring is a noticeable light chocolate. There is some Latakia in this blend but very, very little, just to add a little extra something.

I would consider this an aromatic, and a high quality one. The topping isn't used to mask inferior quality leaf.

Lights easy, burns cool, does not bite, leaves a pleasant room note. One of the best aromatics out there.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very good unique smoke. My tobacconist recommended it when I asked for something more full and flavorful. Tobacco is definetly high quality. Packs well, no tongue bite. Definetly get alot of taste (Virginia then Latakia) with just a hint of cocoa (think baking cocoa powder). Not an ever day smoke for me, but definetly will fit the bill when I am looking to change pace. Wife apprecited the aroma.

marc7570 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marc7570 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

great aroma from the tin. you can smell the chocolate right from the start. taste just like it smells. gets stronger as you smoke.

Scottso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottso (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased this tobacco on a whim as I was curious how a touch of chocolate would go with the Virginia/Latikia. Not only do they work well together but this has become one of the very select few tobaccos to receive the "OK in-the-house" official stamp of approval from my wife! I have come to love it with a glass of espresso or simply on its own. There is no bite, none of the over-moistness found in some aromatics and has quickly become a favorite.

Unfortunately the local brick and mortar as well as Internet sources are now sold out so I guess the secret is out. I highly recommend you try it if you can find it.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mouth-watering chocolate tin aroma and dirty brown stubby broken flake (or fat ribbon) cut. Tin moisture was about perfect.

I was all prepared to write this blend off after half the tin was gone. Couldn't get any chocolate flavoring and the entire blend tasted like dirt. Interestingly, this blend resurrected a pipe that I hadn't smoked much lately - a Bekler CAO meerschaum. The resurrection was mutual. In this pipe and only in this pipe, did the blend reach its potential. I got a nice chocolate flavor with just a hint of latakia, much like G&H's Bob's Chocolate Flake, but without the florals. In said pipe, I preferred this, although Sam Gawith's Chocolate Flake toasts them both. At any rate, this tasted a bit like an aromatic but it smoked very dry. Nice crossover blend. Burned beautifully to a clean white ash and didn't overpower me with nicotine. This was a very well behaved blend in the right pipe. Why it only likes one pipe, I have no idea, but if you try this and aren't getting a very noticeable chocolate flavor along with the room aroma, try it in several different pipes. Not a barn burner but definitely worth a go.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, this stuff has a wonderful aroma or chocolate cordial. It packs nicely, burns well, a bit moist right out of the tin, I liked mine better after the tin had been open for awhile. I didn't particularly care for this blend at first, the flavors just weren't bold enough for me and I was surprised after having smoked GLP's other english blends that the VA's in this blend seemed very muted tome, in fact I lost them in the latakia which is unusual in his projects and on top of that I wasn't really getting much of the chocolate taste that smelled so good in the tin. After having smoked it in a variety of pipes I discovered that the pipes I was originally smoking it in were part of the problem. I discovered that this blend shines in either a big bowl or at least a wide bowl pipe. Since I've found a few pipes that it does really well in, I'm beginning to like it more, the room note is fantastic and I'm starting to taste the chocolate a bit better, it's been a good companion in the summer heat, smoked at any time of day, it's not overwhelming, which is a good thing when it's 90+ degrees outside!

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

This is a very nice change up from the norm. Well flavored but not over the top! Produces a fine rich creamy smoke that will be enjoyed by everyone around you. I was very suprised to find that it smoked as dry as it did and stayed lit with very little effort. I found no tongue bite nor an after taste, but it will cling to everything on you. Overall just as advertised and a fine example of two fine blenders coming together to make a one of a kind smoke.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Got tired of NorthWoods as an all day smoke and after a few months of searching I found a replacement. Glad I picked up picked up a tin of this wonderful stuff.

Tin note is very latakia, with subtle hints of cocoa or maybe burnt coffee with the familiar hay-ish sweet smell of virginias... Nice broad cut flakes broken into wide ribbons that pack easily. Lighting is a bit touch and go, requiring a very good first charr. Keeping this stuff lit is effortless. Smokes best in a cobb or wide bowled briar.

The taste is incredible! Sweet quality VA is the main player here, so don't expect a "lat BomB" or some super complex smoke. The latakia is there in a perfect amount; there is very little. Latakia is more of a condiment here and for that it plays its role perfectly. The casing is very modest, peeking through if you look for it. The room note is warm, chocolaty, and just a touch of sweet smokyness. Reminds me of sitting next to a campfire while drinking hot cocoa.

English Aro hybrids don't get the attention they deserve. One would think that English smokers would actually enjoy something like this once in a while instead of claiming it to be the work of a heretic or pointing their noses into the air and passing it by without consideration.

As a primarily VA smoker, this one really hits the spot for me and has earned a permanent place in my rotation. If I had to choose one blend to smoke for a month this would be it.

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)

I ordered a tin of this since Bob's Chocolate Flake seems to be hard to find these days and I am looking for a substitute so I don't have to smoke all of my stash.

Upon opening the tin and taking a big whiff, I get an overwhelming smell of chocolate liqueur - I like it. I load up a pipeful and it packs well and seems about the right moisture level out of the tin.

Its flavor profile is in between BCF and Honey and Chocolate. It is sweet but not overly so, fine hint of chocolate, and smooth and flavorful throughout the smoke.

I will definitely get more of this and keep it around in the celler.

I recently received my first order of this tobacco which was tinned on 12-27-10. I am smoking it in a Stanwell Vario - a featherweight poker. The tin aroma was decidedly Latakia, but not over the top as some Latakia blends go. I detected the faintest whiff of chocolate. It also smelled a bit alcoholic - like rum laden chocolate bobs, and very delicious. It came as a well rubbed out broken flake of medium brown to light tan. It filled and lit with ease and required only the occasional relight. As I am not a big fan of Latakia, I was very pleased that its dominant presence in the tin note was very well tamed by the sweet tasting Virginia. Although I wouldn't classify this an an aromatic in the traditional sense, I was able to taste the chocolate - very subtle and to my liking. English Chocolate smoked smooth, dry, and cool. Only with a faster puffing cadence could I detect the ability of this to smoke hot if pushed.

All in all, a very well put together tobacco. I believe this would satisfy pipe smokers across the board. It certainly would be a good blend for newbies to accustom their taste buds to Latakia. I've smoked other Latakia blends before - many of them, actually - and I would have to say that when I want a Latakia blend to smoke, English Chocolate fits the bill nicely for me.

Legend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Legend (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great blend, reminescent of Bob's Chocolate Flake. I dried it out an hour before lighting, but it appears to be ready to smoke from the tin. Lots of Latakia here to my taste, which is not a bad thing. The chocolate is not as evident in the smoke as it is from the tin note; but it is present. Nicotine was satisfying; and it burnt cool with not a gurgle at all. I smoked it in an old Meer lined billiard. I will be getting more to sock away. Recommended.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (136)

I think this English aromatic will please a lot of people. Needs some drying out of the tin and it's good to go. The casing is pleasant and tastes very natural. The latakia is not overdone and compliments the chocolate. An excellent all day puffer. My tin had only a month on it, so I beleive that six months of aging will mellow this blend even further and improve the flavor by allowing the ingredients to meld. Light on the nicotine. For now it's a 3 star, but time will tell. My favorite Pease/Tarler creation yet.