This blend of broad cut Black Cavendish, toasted Burley and Virginia Cut Plug offers a refreshing cool, enjoyable exhilarating smoke. It develops a slightly sweet aroma that lingers pleasantly in the air.

BrandDavidoff
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium

2.1
jenskth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jenskth (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This mixture is a strange one in some ways. I first bought a tin of this in Singapore Airport in 2008 on my way to Australia - the first tin of pipe tobacco I had bought for several years as I had mostly not smoked pipes for a long time.

When, a few days later, I opened the tin I was greeted with a sweet, slightly spicy aroma which I found very pleasing indeed. I filled my bowl, lit it and felt quite underwhelmed; really not much flavour at all and other reviewer's descriptions of it as 'flat' seems quite apt. Frankly, it was possibly part of the reason I didn't really smoke another pipe of anything for nearly two years. At that point though, I felt like it again and went out to buy some other tobaccos and enjoyed these immensely. Eventually, I thought I would give the Blue Mixture another go; it was just sitting there anyway and surely it couldn't be all that dull.

No, it wasn't dull. I actually enjoyed it fabulously. It's mild, yes and it's true that it does not pack a huge amount of flavour, but at this point, it actually worked for me. I bought another two tins and upon opening one, drying the tobacco a bit, smoked another deeply disappointing bowl of the stuff. I really couldn't figure it out; I dried the tobacco a bit more, to the point that it had the same level as my old tin which had sat in the drawer for two years, and still it was dull and dreary. I put away both tins.

A year later, having run out of other tobaccos, I turned to it simply because that was what I had and there it was again; lovely, smooth, tasty and very, very pleasant. I'm no expert on what happens to tobacco, either sealed in the tin, nor in an opened tin stored away, but opening the tin and letting it sit, seems to do wonders for Blue Mixture. I even opened the second (unopened tin) to check that it wasn't just my imagination or fluctuations in my taste preferences, and the newly opened tin was as flat and boring as I had expected.

I suppose I'm most inclined to give this blend 3.5 stars, but as I cannot, 3 it is. It's a mild mixture that will offend the noses of no-one around you (my wife's favourite) - it is quite mild on N although it does have some but despite its mildness, actually has quite a bit of flavour . . . after having been opened for about 12-18 months.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (56)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not at all what I was expecting. Mild yes, but this is almost flat. If it were not for that casing I doubt it would have flavor at all. I love Davidoff cigars the Thousand series is great and was hoping for a mild but complex smoke like that or the classic series. This is not.

Opening the tin the aroma is of dried fruits, vanilla a hint of caramel maybe. Sweet and delicious. The flavor at the match is very light. Notes of vanilla and citrus but not really any tobacco following behind the casing flavors. At mid bowl the flavors all but disappear leaving a rather dull smoke. I have forced myself to smoke about half of the tin but don't see the point in finishing the rest. I try to avoid the not recommended rating and look for what others might find enjoyable but here I cannot think of an occasion that would raise the rating. The room note while pleasant to other smokers was surprisingly for an aromatic barely tolerable to nonsmokers. I would not give this to a first time smoker either.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Pleasant but unexciting. Of course, occasionally this is precisely what a piper craves. But only occasionally.

In the tin this blend smells lightly of dried figs and a touch of brown sugar. The room note is mainly Virginia with a slight added sweetness. People who love tobacco will find the room note very pleasant, others will find it tolerable.

The taste is extremely light. The best taste description I can come up with is light Virginia combined with bland herbs, a small sprinkle of pepper and just the tiniest tad of sweetness.

My guess is that pipers who prefer medium to full tasting tobaccos will find this blend far too bland. Pipers who prefer mild tobaccos will probably enjoy this blend when in the mood for a very gentle tobacco that is not heavily cased.

Noodle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noodle (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

One of the first tins I bought when I stumbled into a proper tobacconist for the first time. Easy to smoke mild with just enough taste to make it something you could smoke everyday without thinking about it. Room note no sense of smell and an outdoor smoker so no idea sorry. Open the tin and there is little 'taste' when I inhale light it though in a pipe and you get such mild gentle flavours of caramel (not ideal burnt sugar is closer but it's not quite that harsh) and for me something a bit like hay. Easy to pack light and keep lit. It loves being smoked as slow as you can. All in all a bit of a tale of two tobaccos. On one side very mild and gentle, the other mild And gentle but with just enough to make you want to return and have another

Pipe Used: Mm cheap basic cob and a few Duncan sleeves

Purchased From: Turmeus in chester

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, this is a very mediocre smoke. You have to love aromatics to be able to enjoy this stuff. Personally, I like a good aromatic every now and then but this one, I'm having problems finishing the tin.

Upon opening said tin, you're greeted with a sweet, caramel like aroma. This blend is heavy on the Black Cavendish so yes it's smooth but, it doesn't really taste of anything in particular. It's sweet, smooth and.. pretty much tasteless. I don't really see any point in smoking this, unless you really like mediocre aromatics.

I would advise to use it in a dedicated aromatic pipe as it will leave a ghost behind which of course, isn't recommended.

Don't know how to end this review. While not bad, not really anywhere near good, either. Try it if you're.. extremely bored I guess.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A rather unassuming looking tobacco in an equally unassuming tin.

A delicious aroma will greet you on opening. An aroma, which even after a good few bowlfuls, remains unidentifiable. A sweet, fruity fragrance is the closest I can get.

It's ready rubbed, with a few cut plugs dotted around here and there. Gives a few options at loading time. Still being a bit of a noob round here I just stuff it all in, rather than breaking down into smaller bits. Whether that is right or wrong I'm not sure, but it works for me !

It behaves itself in the bowl, few relights, with a slow burning nature. Occasional tongue bite if smoked too hard too near the bottom of the bowl. No complaints have been received from either Mrs PW or the ingrates so I assume 'what is says on the tin' is accurate.

It's an intersting slighly sweet smoke well worth bringing into your rotation if you are an aromatrics smoker. Me, I'm off for another bowl to see if I can finally nail down this taste.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought the tin in June for smoking during the summer and quite enjoyed it.

In the tin the aroma is fruity and pleasant. Smoking it in a large bowl allows the aroma to expand. Some aromatic tend to give their flavour on the beginning of the smoke and then faint away. With this one the flavour grows in the middle of the smoke, with a discreet vanilla aroma.

Not a full aromatic but a nice one so my not is higher than those given by previous reviewers.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Bought on a whim after reading good reviews elsewhere (never again) and hoping on a sort of easy to smoke, summery & debonair tobacco. Well, not too far from this concept, IMO this is just the classy rendition of Borkum Riff Original: less vanilla (read chemical), a bit more tang and better burning qualities. Not bad but too light, wispy, ethereal..... definitely it doesn't worth the money.

mr_beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_beard (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The aromas upon opening the tin are fantastic, unfortunately they don't come through when smoking the tobacco.

The first few bowls were very enjoyable, but this tobacco dries very quickly and if you don't smoke on a regular basis, you will find it gets worse as it 'matures'.

I would only recommend it to beginners of pipe smoking.

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Out of the tin you get the promise of fudge and marshmallow aromas. Once lit, it leans more towards vanilla, albeit very faint.

It smokes cool and tends to become slighly gurgly towards the end. The strength seems to increase slightly when smoked in a larger bowl but does not develop any complexity.

If you are looking for smoke that smells great but does not demand anything from your taste buds, than this will do nicely.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Usually, I prefer an aromatic and this is one of the few non-aromatic I have tried. Major disappointment. Zero taste or the word flat comes to mind. The smell in the tin was great along with the cut. Very cool and definitely no bite along with no tatse...

vanadium Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vanadium (3)

Taste is mild and leave a fantastic room note. If you looking a mild, smooth tobacco (very mild). It's would be good choice for you.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The smell in the tin reminds me of Davidoff's red mixture only with a hint of cream. A pleasant and light smoke with little tongue bite.

JasonNYC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonNYC (7)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am new to pipe smoking and this blend was recommended to me as a starter.

I'll say this for it, it certainly IS cool smoking.

Even when I was improperly packing my bowl during my first attempts it still burned with little 'hot tongue' and smoked easily.

But overall I'd throw it out if I weren't so cheap. Really.

I mean the aromatics are almost undetectable and the underlying tobacco is so mild I get little taste from it either.

The next step down in mildness would be to just not smoke at all.

Like I said, I'm a novice here. But of the six blends I've exposed myself to over the past month this was hands down the most disappointing.