It is perhaps ironic that a blend named Great Outdoors should be appreciated for its room note. This outstanding aromatic is a mixture of Burley, Vanilla, and flavored Black Cavendish. Perfect for fans of Field and Stream.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I never smoked Field and Stream, so I can't compare the two. What I can say is that this is a very good aro with mild nuttiness, vanilla, light licorice, and plum and honey flavors. It smells great out of the tin and the room note is extremely pleasant. It's sweet, but not powerfully so. Burns well with consistent flavor to the end, and the burley is nutty and mildly sweet, and adds a mild nic hit. I smoked this tin faster than any other Sutliff blend I tried recently. I'll need more for the cellar.

KCWGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCWGG (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

From what I understand, this is Sutliff's recreation of Gerald Ford's favorite smoke (Field and Stream). The tin note is that of subtle sweet licorice. Loads easily into every bowl I have smoked it in and ramps well. It took me a few moments to get it fully lit an going (two false starts), but it was worth it. The room note is as good as advertised - filling the room with a licorice and a vanilla aroma. The smoke tastes just as the tin note and room note smells. The flavor reaches fullness around mid bowl, after which the natural tobacco taste begins to come through. I love it. My only true criticism of this blend is that I find it interesting that Sutliff markets this as a "non-aromatic". The flavorings, while light and very enjoyable, are exactly what I would call aromatic (particularly of the Danish variety). Nothing wrong with this tobacco in itself, however. If you load your bowl correctly and smoke it with leisure then you can enjoy it all day without bite. Good stuff!

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)

Pouch/Tin Note - Three words - Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. Ok, 5 words, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie with Vanilla. This smells very, very nice. Lots of sweetness and caramel, but some smokey backbone lurking around in there.

Char and initial draw - Incredibly mellow, and possibly the sweetest smoke I've ever had shy of a goopy aromatic. I stand by the tin note of oatmeal to describe the driving flavor here, it's almost breadlike but the sweetness and very subdued nutty flavors reminds me more of toasted oats.

As the bowl warmed, I started to get some very mild black pepper notes. This bowl is really good, and I've got to pace myself... the taste in my mouth is toasted pecan now, the initial sweetness has taken a back seat to the stronger burley notes, although it's still there. Oddly enough I'm not getting any of the smokey characters in the flavor even though it was in the smell of the tin/pouch.

The room note was odd, despite the sweetness in the pouch and in the smoke, the room note was mildly sweet toasted burley with a whisper of vanilla. Not a big deal to me, as it still smelled fantastic to my nose.

This is an incredibly mellow tobacco with subtle flavors that play very well with each other. Absolutely nothing offensive, and incredibly well balanced. Even with a healthy burley content I didn't feel overpowered by the tobacco strength either. Seriously well done.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am almost done with a 1.5 oz tin, and this review is based on however many bowls that is - 15? 20? This is a very good smoke. I find it puzzling that the description on TR says there is no flavoring, because I get mild vanilla, sweet, and maybe a little licorice. The tin is also missing description, so I guess Sutliff is relying on reviews or experience to let people know what is in the tin. This is a basic mild burley with a pleasant topping that is not overpowering.

This is a very friendly blend for non-smokers. The room note is reported to be nice. It is a tasty tobacco as well. That makes for a great combo when you have a significant other and smoke in the house or in the car.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Great Outdoors

Tin Note: How they made each tin to pack that much punch is beyond me. When i first popped the tin open the aroma was very strong but mellowed out quickly. Filled the room with a wonderful smell. I am not very familiar with vanilla blends and really did not know what i was smelling at 1st, I then had to read the descriptions to figure this out.

Tobacco: Good Quality Tobacco Leaves no sticks or stems with Great Color. The tinned tobacco might have been a little moist straight out of the can but dries out quickly.

The Burn: Vanilla to top off the Burley and Black Cavendish all come together in good fashion and you can taste that this is made with a good tobacco selection.This blend preformed good - it burned and smoked well in all of the pipes that i smoked it out of but tasted best out of a corn cob pipe

Room Note: A+

my 5 star rating = 3 for me and maybe 4 for someone who smokes vanilla blends

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (6)

This is a fine American blend. The quality of the tobaccos is top notch, and the flavorings are mingled in with the tobacco instead of being dumped on like many blends. The tin note is wonderful: sweet licorice, nuts, plums, and a hint of what I believe is chocolate. Packing is easy, and it holds a light very well. As with all Sutliff blends, I let this one dry a bit before smoking (open the tin for about an hour or two and let it breathe). Upon lighting, the nuttiness of the burley came through, and the licorice notes dance in and out around flavors of vanilla and Cavendish. This is a perfectly balance tobacco as far as flavor is concerned, and I enjoy it as an all day smoke (great with morning coffee too).

Pipe Used: MM Hardwood, Dr. Grabow Duke

Purchased From: Tobaccotown, Beaver, WV

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)

On opening the tin, my first thought on the aroma was root beer. Vanilla and anise flavors abound in this blend, but are not overpowering whatsoever. Consisting of burley and black cavendish, this blend is made up of various cuts: from ribbon to ready rubbed. Moisture in the tin was nearly perfect. It seemed hard to keep lit a various points, most likely due to the mixed cut. Flavor-wise, Great Outdoors is pleasant. I would consider this a semi-aromatic, or perhaps an "old-school aromatic." The "aromatic" component works in concert with the tobacco flavr on the blend. Overall, a very nie tobacco that I would recommend to anyone looking for a mild, all day blend, with a little extra aroma added...

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another Altadis blend of the month gifted to my local pipe club, Great Outdoors is not a bad smoke. I thought it was actually somewhat elegant compared to the original Field and Stream it copies. Also F&S always seemed to have a "licorice" taste to me, this one did not. Just a simple coarse cut Burley/sweetened Cavendish blend that I found to be appealing. I had to work at smoking it slowly because this one has no bite or strength.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (56)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The first tobacco I ever smoked, and what a find!

A mild aro, very sweet and savory burleys in Cavendish in this, and the vanilla casing works very well with the burley nuttiness.

Smokes cool, can get hot if you don't give it some time to warm up on its own, and the aroma is very crowd-pleasing.

All in all, I keep it around for nostalgia as much as how good it is.

Very nice.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a weird tobacco for me to review. I just didn't like it. The good news is that it was free as it is what was sent to me by Sutliffe when I signed up for the free sample. I put down my preference as aromatics as I already had tried a few of the English blends and wanted to be sure that I received something I hadn't tried.

The reason I point this out is that Aromatics are not my preference, but I am not an aro hater by any means so don't be rolling your eyes. :)

Now to why it is weird. If I search by who is similar to me, many of those reviewers love this blend with a surprising amount of four star ratings. If I look down the reviews, many reviewers whose opinions I really treasure also really like this blend. Many of my forum buddies really like this blend and smoke it often. It is weird, because I don't like this blend. Two things save me from giving this a one star review. Reverence to those who like it and the fact that I have yet to try a vanilla aromatic that I would give four stars to.

I find this to be pretty heavy on the PG, that chemical taste that I dislike comes through heavy on this blend. The mechanical properties of it are fine. A nice mix of ribbon and some cube cut burley, pack nicely and burn easily to the bottom with usually one light and it burns pretty cool so nothing wrong there, but it lacks the body that I like in a predominately burley aromatic.

I will have to actually go out and seek a true vanilla aromatic that I like, so I can really rule out that it is not just an aversion to that particular topping that is causing me to be so hard on those blends, but I have enjoyed enough aromatics with a portion of Vanilla to know there are many better out there than this one. Some that come to mind are CAO's Moontrance, C & D's Berry Good and PS Nougat 24.

So not recommended by me, but somewhat recommended because you just might like it.

Pipe Used: mostly meerschaum and cobs

Purchased From: free sample from factory

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)

Smoked this in a MM diplomat and a rock cob. Worked better in the diplomat. Just like Carter Hall the blend is enhanced in a corn cob pipe.

Very mild and relaxing. The burley is more forward than the Cavendish by far. A nice sweet aroma. This is an all day easy smoker. Lights easily from the tin without drying. You don't have to fight it to keep lit.

Would recommend this to anyone looking for a mild easy to smoke burley with a touch of Cavendish. Also a great beginner tobacco with a better room note than Carter Hall.

Sutliff could do better on the tin instead of describing it as 'Quality Pipe Tobacco'. They are right, but it should give a better description for those looking for certain types of pipe tobacco.

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco is listed as a non-aromatic even with the vanilla. The tobacco's moisture was perfect for smoking right from the tin no drying needed. All of the Sutliff tobaccos that I have tried have been ready to smoke upon opening the tin. The tin note smelled to me like root beer. The charring light brought the nuttiness of the Burley to the front. The true light still had the nuttiness in the fore front, but the Black Cavendish join in. The vanilla was barely present. The room note was very pleasant. This is a great all day smoke; it burns well with hardly any re-lights. No tongue bite at all and it smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I will be cellaring a few tins for the future.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)

Picked up a tin of this a year ago. I didn't want to review it then because I felt it was too new and needed age. Aging has improved it somewhat. It still bites, but not as badly. It still gurgles and wets up my pipe like a stickier aromatic.

All in all I give it 2 stars. I've seen much worse for the money. What I have will age further, possibly decades. I'll update my review in 20 years.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)

In my search for trying Field & Stream I discovered the Great Outdoors. Originally, I think I was just looking for a licorice/anise flavored tobacco and this does evoke that flavor profile at least somewhat. The tobacco was nice and dry when I cracked open the tin. There is definitely a distinct smell of licorice in the tin as well as vanilla. It lights quickly and stays lit as well as burns fairly quickly, maybe in part because it was dry to begin with. The flavor is quite mild though and the burley takes the show for the most part. The anise/vanilla flavor wears out pretty quickly and the nutty burley flavor kicks in at about a quarter of the bowl.

I guess I was kind of hoping that more of the sweeter flavors would hang around a little longer. It starts out nice enough but becomes a bit bland toward the end. Room note is quite pleasant though and reminds me of camping trips with my father. It burns nice and evenly down to a fine ash but beware the tongue bite as this guy will quickly scorch your tongue if you don't sip it.

A nice burley/aromatic fusion blend leaning more toward the burley. This is the first of the Sutliff Private Stock blends I've tried and I am curious to try more of them.

pipeofbriaropenfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeofbriaropenfire (9)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is beautiful! Upon opening the tin I am impressed by an aroma of the smooth burley. The batch I had was about perfect on the moisture level. It packed well in my pipe and I probably could have gotten away with packing it in tighter. Most of the bowls I smoked only needed one light to get started but on occasion I needed to relight during the sitting. This blend smokes very smoothly and seems very mellow to me. "Great Outdoors" is an apt name for this blend as it tastes like a forest after a cleansing rain. It's a very smooth and mellow smoke and I think it encourages a nice slow smoke. The room note is very nice.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Holy tongue bite batman! Not impressed with this one, might be OK but for the horrendous bite. I smoke burleys often with no bite however this one gets me bad every time. I'm going to let it age for a bit and see if that helps.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)

I must say I really like this tobacco. Its not too strong at all, probably because it is mixed with burley tobacco. As far as flavor goes it was kind of "nutty" but good. My garage smells really good after I smoked it in there. Tasted really good in my opinion, nothing was bad about that part. I would definately recommend this to other pipe smokers, and I will definately continue to buy it. To be honest this is one of my favorites so far.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)

I tire of bitey aromatics. If burley bites you like it does me, avoid Great Outdoors. I got through two bowls, but didn't taste supper.

On the other hand, if burley is your thing, give it a whirl. Other than the tongue bite, I liked it.

The casing seems to make a huge difference for me with burley bite. Carter Hall and Great Outdoors bite me like a New Mexico rattler. But Butternut Burley has become my go-to anytime of day blend, and other over-the-counters - Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Half and Half - leave me be.

tralbertson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tralbertson (3)

This is a really nice blend,it smokes cool right out of the tin. The room note is very nice and gets lots of compliments. I really enjoy this tobacco once the bowl has heated up, the flavors of the tobacco really seem come out then. I would definitely smoke this again.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I am not naturally inclined to love aromatic blends, but I do get in aromatic moods occasionally. This one, better than any other I've tried in recent years, is well worth discovering.

To be fair, I've never smoked Field & Stream, on which this blend is supposedly based. But that hardly matters; it's a worthwhile and -- to my palate -- utterly unique blend capable of standing on its own.

It does smoke best when allowed to air out for at least 4-6 hours. Otherwise, be prepared for a slightly wet smoke and a more over-bearing aromatic presence. I can only describe the aroma as "masculine" in a very good sense, remininding me a lot of my father's aftershave -- though not in a bad way. (I realize how unhelpful that is!) The flavor, however, is simply a good neutral burley, without any noticeable sweetness on the tongue.

Maybe it's my mood or maybe it's this blend, but I'm hooked for the moment.

WSBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WSBlevins (3)

I wasn't very impressed with this tobacco. It tastes ok and smokes ok, but it tastes of low grade tobaccos. Not something I would purchase.

boxertwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boxertwin (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I had a bit of this that a friend sent me. I found it easy to light and it stayed lit very well. The nose is very nice, not an overwhelming aromatic at all. The taste was very good, it got very sweet during the middle of the bowl. I got a bit of bite but I was smoking it faster than I should have.

I would smoke this again for sure and enjoy it.

I am not fond of the aftertaste though. It's got a bit of a cigar aftertaste that I'm not fond of.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This is the first aromatic that I've smoked in about a year. At first I light I thought, YUK! But then I had to remember that it is quasi-aromatic in my opinion. The blend smells really nice. When I first opened the tin I found a familiar smell that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I gave some of this tin to a good friend and brother of the briar and he said it smelled like a root beer float. That's what was familiar! This blend is easy to light and fill the bowl. A little moist right from the tin so I think it's wise to fill it a bit loose otherwise it won't burn easy. Or a few minutes to air dry out or a few under a desk lamp always works quickest for me.

After not smoking an aromatic for a long time I needed several bowls to give it a fair shake. This blend hasn't bitten or gotten sour for me and that's a good thing.

Nice chunky burley for body and the cavendish for some sweetness. No problems with the room note/wife test here either. Not being a confirmed aromatic fancier I am grateful for the experience but don't think I'd get another tin. It does freshen up my truck nicely though and is a heck of alot nicer than those pine tree fresheners that my wife likes to use when she's behind the wheel.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I received a promotional 1.5 oz. tin of GO in the mail. On opening it I was greeted with a ribbon cut Burley with chunks of Black Cavendish. The top note that greeted one was vanilla and licorice. The tobacco had a sticky feel which pinched for packing, but lit easily and stayed lit nicely. I was greeted with a subtle nutty background flavor that developed as the smoke progress, and stronger tastes of licorice that persisted. The blend did not bite or heat up, and although a little monochromatic in flavor, it did have occasional bursts of other flavors. This is a nice change of pace.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

pretty straightforward--tin aroma is pleasant--easy to light, and stays lit--a sweet smoke until the very last minute, where it turned a bit ashy--little or no bite--what bite i may have noticed was probably attributable to my getting in a hurry at the end of the bowl--no dottle left--just a fine gray ash--

Edit--10-03-11--knocking this one down a notch--3 star now-after smoking it for some time i find it a bit monotonous--still a decent blend just not four star material--hey, i just changed my mind--

regulator3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
regulator3 (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I opened the tin and the smell in the tin was that of Vanilla and Black Licorice, I thought it would be awesome, i loved the smell in the tin. Got it lit up, My Wife said that smells like crap, i said funny it don't taste all that great, about half way thru the bowl it has a sweet taste but then it starts to kind of go sour, it was a little wet for my liking, had to puff hard to keep it lit. next time will try to dry it out some before i smoke

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

I received my 1.5 oz tin free from Altadis-- very generous, thanks. This is Sutliffe's purported Field and Stream copy/tribute/replacement, but I think it's a vast improvement upon the House of Windsor version that I tried. Don't know who used to make it before them, so can't vouch for that version, but if it was more like this, it was one quality smoke. This is a lovely, high-quality, semi-aromatic, with notes of licorice, maple, vanilla-- all quite subtle, with plenty of good tobacco flavor coming through. There's little or no bite to worry about, unless you really pushed it, and the biggest difference to me is the absence of the dryer sheet/Grandma's soap aroma that the HOW version reeked of. This is a beautiful blend that stands on its own in addition to carrying on the Field and Stream tradition.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)

I reviewed Field And Stream some time ago, and though I didn't care for it I have had a strange hankering for it as of late. I found a can of this blend, and thinking it would be similar I procured it and popped the lid. The blend consists of black cavendish, light tan ribbon and a few pieces of rubbed out flake. The fragrance is really quite pleasant. It really bears very little in common with Field and Stream. Upon lighting the pipe, the first loading from the tin presented a wonderfull balance of flavors. This blend is creamy, well rounded and not too sweet. The tin description lists vanilla as one of the flavorings, but it is so expertly applied I would have thought it was deer tongue. I detected a slight woody flavor, very pleasant, which makes me think of some old time blend which I just can't put my finger on. This is a very nice blend in my opinion, and it really has grown on me. I have been smoking this daily for a couple weeks, and I may well buy a few more tins for the cellar. It is springtime here in MO, but as much as I have enjoyed this blend I suspect it would be a very nice early Autumn smoke. I find that it relights well even many hours later, a rare and worthy quality in our busy world. This is rather like an old time blend to me, something which would be listed as an aromatic, but not at all in the sense of the gloppy drenched black cavendish which gave aromatics a bad name. Give it a whirl, you may just like it.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I havent reviewed a blend in awhile. Having tried several blends that were not to my taste i went to my local B&M last week and picked up a tin of Escudo. Along with my tin of Escudo, my tobacconist gave me a tin of Great Outdoors for free to try. The tin aroma is very mild, much milder than the original Field and Stream and even less than the HOW version. Sort of a vanilla and whiskey scent, no floral / talcum aroma like the past two blenders used. The cut is similar to both of those versions (a cube cut) but also has the addition of string cut virginia and is very easy to pack. I am very pleased with the quality and will look to try the other Sutliffe blends in the future! Very tasty in a cob!

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

Got a 1.5 oz tin of this free from Altadis' website ... very cool ... I think this is better than feild and stream . It's burley flavor that dosen't drown out the vanilla and maybe whiskey ? the flavorings are mild . It's been a one pipe cleaner blend so far. It's a good blend and could be an all day smoker . I'll try it in more pipes .I wish it were a bit stronger .passed the wife test .....O.K. ... tried it in more pipes and finished it off and have to give it 2.5 stars if I could . Smoked alittle " steamy " and didn't quite give a mouthfull of smoke . Needs more punch and smoke .