A flavorful blend of the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos and a rare Saint James Parish Perique. This extraordinary Perique tobacco is especially selected from the finest Louisiana tobacco fields (Magnolia Soil) and then anaerobically barrel fermented in Louisiana according to methods tracing back over 200 years. No casings or flavorings added.

Notes: "S.J" refers to classic Saint James Parish Perique.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blended ByMark Ryan
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging40g Tin, 3.5oz Tin, 14oz Bag
haiku44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haiku44 (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

An incredibly smooth smoke with a generous portion of saint james perique. The tobacco is very dry in the tin (which is my preference) and smokes down to the bottom incredibly easy. It does smoke down fast, about 20-25 minutes in my falcon. It is in my top 10 tobacco blends after just two smokes. As far as perique blends go, I like it better than Frog Morton on the Bayou. And its only a fraction of the cost as well.

It isn't meant to be ryo tobacco. It's a thick ribbon cut and would be a pain in the shin to try rolling.

shagsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shagsmoker (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like perique and want a smooth full smoke this is it. Peppery and flavorful this what spicy should be. Smokes quick with some tounge bite so puff accordingly.Enjoy!

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I should start this review by saying that I have never smoked this out of a pipe, though when they called this 'rolling tobacco' a few years ago (wink wink, tax collectors) it was the finest cigarette I have ever had. but at the risk of going on a very long soap-box speech concerning our current climate of American politics (or lack there of), I will proceed to blame the erroneous taxation that, at the very least, has diminished this wonderful company. The perique D&R uses is by far the smoothest I ever consumed due to, I believe, the flue curing. I would love to try this in the pipe, and perhaps roll another truly doesnt get any better than this. enjoy it before they tax it out of our hands!

The Virginia is grassy sweet with some citrus and a touch of honey. The Saint James perique is more plumy sweet than peppery in a very complimentary supporting role, and is noticeable in every puff. There are no toppings. I suggest you hydrate this one first, but if you don’t, it’ll burn fairly quickly without harshness, unless you puff like a winded Superman after a race. The flavor is consistent with a decent nic-hit, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. An all day smoke for the VaPer aficionado who wants a break from heavier blends in this genre.

aguineapig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aguineapig (5)

Very nice blend right off the bat. I was tentative, having never smoked D&R and being vaguely aware of their reputation as a RYO company. In a trade, I was gifted a bunch of different D&R blends (this one, Picayune, Ramback Balkan, and Ryback) and all doubt was banished-- do not get my wrong, I have tried all of them rolled in a cigarette paper (I do not smoke tailor made crap cigarettes, only the occasional Stokkebye, American Spirit, or D&R, rolled fat and unfiltered, non-inhaled), and they were quite nice. But I enjoyed all of them for what they were intended to be most in the pipe. I suppose you could say it is "dual purpose", but so too could you roll some Pease blend in a cigarette paper and it'd probably make a decent enough smoke.

This tobacco is high quality. That's it. It's high quality tobacco. There is no need to squabble over whether it is RYO or not.

you can, however, squabble over whether you like it, which is up for debate with any blend. My impression with this one, is that people come to it with different expectations than they ought to based on it's constituent leaf-- Virginia and Perique. They are probably expecting a slick, tinned, rather processed product. Something like Stokkebye's bullseye flake comes to mind. I enjoy that blend, but if I were growing my own tobacco it would be completely unattainable to reproduce. Another would be Anniversary Kake from H&H, again I enjoy it, but the humectant presence is rather annoying, and it is certainly very processed.

This blend is not like that. If you are familiar with Cornell & Diehl's style, and you like that, then you may well like D&R's style. Pease's (who's blends are done up by C&D) Montgomery, a melange of virginias with some Dark Fired Kentucky, is a blend that is very reminiscent of this one, although I prefer this one to it (besides, this is less than 25 dollars per pound, and Montgomery is 32 dollars plus for 8 ounces). Russ Ouellette's Country Gentleman, from the Missouri meerschaum line is also similar. These blends have one thing in common-- Virginias at the forefront, and other leafs playing a very subdued role. If you are looking for a blend with 25% perique, this isn't it (although you could add some of your own). I don't have much interest in a blend with that much perique, preferring smaller amounts just to tame the virginia acidity and adding a little pepper and complexity. This blend does that wonderfully.

Strength is medium-- it could make a good all day smoke for someone who knows how to pace themselves. It's not a mindless smoke, like any virginia really, because puffing too hard will cause bite. But the flavor is great, it's light, tangy, with just enough perique by my standards, to be a real keeper (and at a great price). Should age beautifully and I expect it will only improve.

Pipe Used: Old German briars (dublins), cobs, papers

Age When Smoked: fresh from bag

Purchased From:

I tried this when it was a RYO, and have now bought one of the newer 40g tins "redone" as a pipe tobacco. On first impression in the pipe, Rimboche SJ (the D&R product that has St. James Perique, or so they say), seems a pretty good pipe tobacco. I can definitely taste (and feel) the Perique. No drying time needed, and I think they are trying to make a product that can be used for pipe or RYO, so it is a bit of a cigaretty smoke, but quality cigarette-like. I'm inhaling some of this pipe, and it is certainly a tobacco that can be inhaled, but works as a pipe tobacco. Makes me curious about the other tins. I do have the Windsail Regular, but have not opened it. For pure pipe smoking, I'd say the Rimboche SJ is good, but don't expect Escudo or FVF. Again, this is fine, dry, easy to rub out ribbon rather than shag (it used to be shag), but loading, lighting and maintaining are a breeze. Smokes pretty fast. If I want to do any more RYO, it will be this one, as it is reasonably priced and would work in a cigarette.

By way of experimentation, I can now also say this rolls a good cigarette as well. It is no longer a shag, but rub it out real good and it works fine.

2-15-12 Wow, esteemed? Thanks, Skando!

I have to say I have ended up esteeming this blend a little less. I won't decrease my rating: they're arbitrary anyway, and if the price is still reasonable these all may be good value, though I think this is the only one I tried save for one of their cig tobaccos (not in a pipe). I also give them credit for their help in revitalizing the Perique industry, as it seems.

My brother has relieved me of some of this by mixing it in with his favorite RYO, American Spirit US Grown (red). I have left the tin on a table since, well; last April without even jarring it, which is rare for me. There is actually only 1/3 tin or so left (thanks, brother dear!) and it is pretty crispy. I may use it for some blending or something.

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I use this for RYO cigarettes. It is hands down one of my favorites. Perique is a hard one. I have found many perique blends where the Perique taste like vinegar and just generally over powers the cig. Not with this blend its just right . The Virginia in this blend is bright golden orange. This is a real treat and quality you will never find in packaged cigs bought off the shelf.

Pipe Used: RYO

Age When Smoked: ??

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (26)

This is a pretty darn good blend. I had no contact with it when it was the RYO cut, just as this pipe cut.

The virginias are of very good quality. The perique is very good as well, and it is present in goodly quantity. The smoke is full, the mouth feel is pleasant, the nicotine level is adequate.

Rimboche S.J. comes dry in the bag. It lights readily and does burn pretty quickly to a fine ash--but how pleasant that short trip is. I have taken to mixing some McClelland 5100 with it to slow the burn a bit, but the straight blend is perfectly fine as it is, especially when I need a less contemplative, tasty smoke.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: from 14 oz. bag

Bassrep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassrep (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was expecting too much perhaps. I found this, right out of a freshly opened tin, to be rather dry. It's OK but I can't really get too excited about this. I have seen in other reviews "generous amounts" of perique but while it's detectable, "generous" wouldn't be my word for it. Wasn't bad, just underwhelming. I want to give it 1 star but don't want to slam the stuff either, it just wasn't for me.

Pipe Used: Big Ben and others