A flavorful blend of the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos and a rare Saint James Parish Perique. This extraordinary Perique tobacco is especially selected from the finest Louisiana tobacco fields (Magnolia Soil) and then anaerobically barrel fermented in Louisiana according to methods tracing back over 200 years. No casings or flavorings added.

Notes: "S.J" refers to classic Saint James Parish Perique.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blended ByMark Ryan
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging40g Tin, 3.5oz Tin, 14oz Bag
Strength
Mild to Medium, Strong
Taste
Full
3.8
haiku44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haiku44 (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

An incredibly smooth smoke with a generous portion of saint james perique. The tobacco is very dry in the tin (which is my preference) and smokes down to the bottom incredibly easy. It does smoke down fast, about 20-25 minutes in my falcon. It is in my top 10 tobacco blends after just two smokes. As far as perique blends go, I like it better than Frog Morton on the Bayou. And its only a fraction of the cost as well.

It isn't meant to be ryo tobacco. It's a thick ribbon cut and would be a pain in the shin to try rolling.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I should start this review by saying that I have never smoked this out of a pipe, though when they called this 'rolling tobacco' a few years ago (wink wink, tax collectors) it was the finest cigarette I have ever had. but at the risk of going on a very long soap-box speech concerning our current climate of American politics (or lack there of), I will proceed to blame the erroneous taxation that, at the very least, has diminished this wonderful company. The perique D&R uses is by far the smoothest I ever consumed due to, I believe, the flue curing. I would love to try this in the pipe, and perhaps roll another cigarette...it truly doesnt get any better than this. enjoy it before they tax it out of our hands!

shagsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shagsmoker (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like perique and want a smooth full smoke this is it. Peppery and flavorful this what spicy should be. Smokes quick with some tounge bite so puff accordingly.Enjoy!

I tried this when it was a RYO, and have now bought one of the newer 40g tins "redone" as a pipe tobacco. On first impression in the pipe, Rimboche SJ (the D&R product that has St. James Perique, or so they say), seems a pretty good pipe tobacco. I can definitely taste (and feel) the Perique. No drying time needed, and I think they are trying to make a product that can be used for pipe or RYO, so it is a bit of a cigaretty smoke, but quality cigarette-like. I'm inhaling some of this pipe, and it is certainly a tobacco that can be inhaled, but works as a pipe tobacco. Makes me curious about the other tins. I do have the Windsail Regular, but have not opened it. For pure pipe smoking, I'd say the Rimboche SJ is good, but don't expect Escudo or FVF. Again, this is fine, dry, easy to rub out ribbon rather than shag (it used to be shag), but loading, lighting and maintaining are a breeze. Smokes pretty fast. If I want to do any more RYO, it will be this one, as it is reasonably priced and would work in a cigarette.

By way of experimentation, I can now also say this rolls a good cigarette as well. It is no longer a shag, but rub it out real good and it works fine.

2-15-12 Wow, esteemed? Thanks, Skando!

I have to say I have ended up esteeming this blend a little less. I won't decrease my rating: they're arbitrary anyway, and if the price is still reasonable these all may be good value, though I think this is the only one I tried save for one of their cig tobaccos (not in a pipe). I also give them credit for their help in revitalizing the Perique industry, as it seems.

My brother has relieved me of some of this by mixing it in with his favorite RYO, American Spirit US Grown (red). I have left the tin on a table since, well; last April without even jarring it, which is rare for me. There is actually only 1/3 tin or so left (thanks, brother dear!) and it is pretty crispy. I may use it for some blending or something.