A pure Virginia blend made of only the most outstanding Virginia Tobaccos. Medium-bodied and smooth, this mixture burns beautifully and renders a natural aroma accented by traces of lemon and honey.

BrandAshton
Taste
2.7
Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)

My guess is that Ashton got stuck with a bunch of second-rate virginia and they sauced it in order to provide the sweetness and flavour that should occur naturally in decent leaf. Well, they're not fooling me. This is an aromatic, not a "pure virginia blend" at all. It burns well (and smokes fairly cool for a cased virginia), and it tastes pretty much the same from beginning to end: notes of salt, pepper, and (of course) a citrus candy taste.

This isn't disgusting, but I don't much care for aromatics, and good virginia leaf should never need to be cased this heavily.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

I try to review each tobacco I encounter on its own merits without too much reference to other's points of view. But one can't help glancing through what lies beneath and in this case I have to say that there seem to have been some very harsh judgements.

First, why do so many insist that there is a casing/topping here? I certainly can't detect any, although perhaps the lightness and sweetness of this blend has led some astray.

Bear in mind good people of the US - for I believe you are in the majority here - that not all straight Virginias are either ketchup scented (US style), or dried hay (UK style). There are European blenders who do things just a little differently and I believe that K&K are true to the roots of this particular variant in what they have achieved.

And that is: light, grassy and - yes - lemony leaves which burn smoothly and easily. Nothing too complicated going on here, just a very steady dose of fine smoking goodness, done in a slightly different manner, but assuredly Virginia nonetheless.

So take it for what it is, don't decry it for what it isn't and enjoy it if you have a mind to.

Recommended.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

I bought this tin when it was a new blend , whenever that was . I popped the tin when I first bought it and it had a lemony flavor [ top noteish ] along with the Virginia , which was very nice . It burned perfect and was a wonderful consistent smoke to the bottom .I'd have given it 3 stars . However , I let the 2nd half of the tin age in a jar for maybe 5 months .. it's even better ! The Lemony flavor toned down and it developed a near perique spice like flavor that I hadn't tasted when it was fresh . It still lit and burned perfect , of course , and I will be ordering more to cellar ! It's a 4 star blend all the way with not a whole lot of aging .. I love it

Ken Guyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ken Guyer (1)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Expectation controls satisfaction. I was looking for a straight, fresh tasting, mild Virginia and Gold Rush completely fills the bill. Nothing fancy, just pure light ribbon cut Virginia. It lights easily and burns to a white ash with a consistent flavor. To really appreciate this tobacco I recommend using a clean Meerschaum pipe. Low nicotine and delicate taste.

Pootz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pootz (4)

A quality mixture of gold Virginia ribbon cut. Moisture is fine right from the tin, but you may want to rub it out first and pack it in the pipe a while before you smoke it - I usually pack it the day before I smoke and it lights and smokes perfect.

Smokes relatively cool and mild with a light fragrance - some citrus notes - flavour is mild natural and pleasant with light nuttiness and a lemon note - it can get a bit peppery if you draw too hard on it. All in all a pleasant smoke if you like a mild full Virginia mix.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm giving this 4 stars, I could have said, "3". But I love a light VA without a heavy casing. To me it's a more refined MacB's No.1 Va. Less sugary and the cut is golden flakes as opposed to broken flake. It was quite dry from the tin, which is great to smoke but I wonder with such lack of moisture in the tin how well it might age. It has a wonderful fresh citrus lemon taste, and not sour at all, just a hint of the honey in the background. It's simplicity and gentleness is it's strength. I love my darker aged and stoved VA's, but this is wonderful for the morning or summer strolls. I think it is very unfair to call this an aromatic or even a semi-aro, I wish other blends where as honest as this. Young leaf with a hint of lemon. Try some it will put some spring in the air.

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Opening the tin reveals a golden to mid-brown ribbon cut tobacco that possesses a rather plain tangy and woody smell. I could not identify any distinct flavours or aromas, and found very little to distinguish the smell of this tobacco from that of Virginia tobacco for cigarette rolling. The tobacco has a nice moisture content, if a little damp, and may bite the tongue if not dried out for a few minutes.

The tobacco has a mild tangy taste that starts sugary and develops into a satisfying honey and lemon flavour. The smoke is weak bodied but there is a bit of a nicotine kick towards the end of the bowl. Gold Rush is a pleasant and mild tobacco, if somewhat uninspiring, and I recommend it as a good all-day smoker.

mrmiloboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmiloboy (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not my favorite Virginia blend. I primarily smoke English blends and alternate with Virginias. It smokes a bit wet and on the verge of tongue bite like so many aromatics, which is why I don't smoke them daily. In addition it does not seem to be a natural Virginia blend. Perhaps a bit more aging. I think I will go back to some of the stoved Virginia Blends.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

I do not really dislike this blend I just think it lacks ageing. The tobacco was very moist when first opened so it needed some drying time. There is a sweetness to Gold Rush but I feel it's more from the topping then the Virginias. I have a few tins cellering and will revisit in a year or so. For the money I think there are much better Virginias out there.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

OK.. its not a dream come true but also not as bad as GUILTY PLEASURE..

If you want something mild for all day smoke this is a good choice!

If you are looking for something special with some character I think you will be disappointed..

I liked it somehow but I am not going to buy it again..

Worths a try..

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)

I usually like staight VAs but something was amiss in this one. I detected something in the taste I didn't quite like and Pipestud and Puff Daddy said it well - "new" and "immature".

I would have said "green".

Other than that, I like the lemon/honey flavoring - not too strong but definitely present throughout the smoke.

A decent straight VA, but one of my least favorites of the kind. More agining pre-tinning would have helped I think.

I bought this in a shop because it was the only staright VA they had. That will likely be the scenario if I ever buy this blend again.

I'm keeping my tin to see if age improves the green twang. One can hope.

Thanks,

Ethan.

This new Ashton blend tasted a bit "new." Not really a good thing for tobacco. Still, it certainly has the potential to age well in the tin.

If you enjoy a somewhat tangy, light and lemony Virginia, this will be a bell ringer. I found the flavor to be somewhat light and the nicotine content is low.

Caution: Smoke it slowly.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

I found this blend to be quite enjoyable. Usually I rarely smoke anything that is aromatic in nature but this blend is a very satisfying mid-afternoon smoke in between my Burley morning blends and my Crooked lane english evening blend.

Pipe Used: my extended cobs

Purchased From: my cellar

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a ribbon-cut mixture of golden and mid-brown Virginias, of varying cuts and lengths. It has a nice moisture content from the tin, if slightly damp. The tin note is rather plain, slightly tangy and woody at first, with no distinct flavours or aroma. It's rather similar to cigarette tobacco and there is little suggestion of the honey and lemon flavouring which, according to blenders K&K, has been added to this blend.

The smoke starts off quite sweet with light tangy and woody Virginia flavours. The subtle honey flavouring builds mid-bowl, with traces of lemon, and remains until the end. Overall it is low in strength, but the last 1/3 of the bowl was often peppery and gave me the niccups a few times.

This tobacco lights easily, stays lit and burns hot if smoked anything more than a little fast. I bought a tin of this thinking it would make a nice light-aromatic summer-time smoke. It fits the bill in most respects, but it burns too fast to be smoked outdoors. For a Virginia blend, it is rather one-dimensional even if treated right. The tobacco dries-out quickly, and with the various small “cube-cuts”, I was soon left with half a tin of dry dusty tobacco (although it does smoke better on the dry side). I agree with others who suggest that a rather immature or poorer quality tobacco has been chosen as the base for this aromatic.

Tylerg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tylerg (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Realy like this one. Good light flavor. No nicotine buzz, which is good for me. Ide give this one a 8 out of 10. Very good over all

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Got a new tin and popped it open right away. Moist but not too. Beautiful gold color. Packed great. As I smoke slow I taste the honey & lemon when I exhale through my nostrils. I love the smooth taste with no bite. I smell the tin again and I remember back to my childhood working in my family's tobacco fields & barns.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)

When i first opened the tin i realised the smell of raisin. Better to dry a bit, like all va-s. Good leaf, recommended for VA lovers. Nicely brings the lemon and honey taste.

Apetitfeu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Apetitfeu (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I Don't know if the tin I got was bad, but as much as I can appreciate Virginian tobacco, this was a terrible experience.

I opened the tin and it first smelled ok, the citrus/honey fragrance coming out of the tin at first seemed inviting. I packed a corn cob and there we go, after half a bowl, I have to stop smoking, I am feeling nauseous becasue of the "overflavoring".

The tobacco is Virginian, very mild on its own, and the flavoring is VERY overwhelming in contrast with the tobacco. I felt like Ashton sold me stale tobacco soaked in citrus/honey...

I gave it a try the next day, after eating this time, but again, I could not finish it. I smoke Virginian in my cigarettes everyday, but it does not make me sick like this. I am very curious about who liked that mixture...or I really had a bad tin? Anyway, not even good enough for a home blend to my taste...one more try in a few weeks and then to the trash, update in a couple weeks.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This one is frustrating. When everything goes right, it gives me the best tasting, most flavorful smoke I've yet had. The problem is getting it there.

To get a good experience, I have to 1)dry a bowl's worth for at least an hour 2)pack lightly in a cob (aluminum and briar kill it, somehow) 3)sip it so gingerly like you're scared it might be lit 4)smoke indoors, away from any breezes. (It burns hot as it is...Also, the testosterone usurping succubus I cohabit with makes indoor smoking difficult!) 5)totally concentrate on the experience. (Number 5 is the real gooch.)

A lot of y'all will think 'So what?' because this is your MO for every time you smoke. Me? Most times I'm clenching, drooling, walking, talking and generally not paying attention. This weed goes lifeless at the slightest provocation...a real problem for someone with ADD like myself.

But boy howdy, when it's on, it's on! Mmm Mmm...subtle sweet citrus. (More so than even OGS.)I love the color of the ribbon and its 'Gerber Baby' pureed apricot smell as well. (The room note whilst smoking is quite nice too.)

I wish this was a 'set it and forget it' blend, but alas, it's not. Still, I enjoy gold Rush enough to at least entertain keeping some on hand...for the rare times I can quiet my monkey mind and actually 'be one with the smoke'.

Sadly, three stars.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I like Ashton's blends, but this isn't one of their best.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the tin aroma is sweet and with a slight citrus scent. It's moist and looks tasty.

I found it needed a little extra rubbing out, otherwise it was a swine to keep alight.

I can detect , rather surprisingly, no discernable room note, although Mrs RH has not passed comment either way.

Halfway through the tin, it's remained tasteless. Drying it out, it's still tasteless. Lacks character. No bitey.

Won't be buying another tin after this has gone.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well not much to say. Experienced pipe smokers said well here that this blend is immature. And this situation does not offer you the rich tastes of pure Virginia smoking. I've dried thinking maybe it would offer that richness, however it smoked even hotter in this way. Dried or not be careful not to smoke it fast! Low nicotine and low taste. This "new" blend was not a memorable smoke experience to me.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is yet another very decent tobacco from Ashton. I bought a tin of this after reading the many positive reviews on this forum, and am quite happy I did.

I am not a VA smoker everyday, but I do enjoy a nice light easy going Virginia on a hot summer day while relaxing with a glass of ice tea or a tall malty beverage.

The moisture content was almost perfect upon popping the tin, and it did definitely benefit tremendously from a few months on the rack.

I bought this in the late winter, and not being in the lighter VA mood yet, I let it be until the early summer.

The tin aroma is wonderful. A delightful bouquet of dried fruit and citrus. It packs with ease, and stays lit with minimal trouble. Occasional tamping and slow puffing leads to a euphoric expeirence.

I would recommend this to anyone just delving into the world of Virginia tobaccos, or someone who is looking for an easy going all day smoke.

The room note is very nice, but maybe not to non smokers. It of course has that very natural tobacco aroma, and no sweet casing that will have the ladies tripping over your heals. Still it is not a bad indoor smoke.

deadeye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deadeye (1)

I recently purchased an aged tin off a "clearance shelf" at a local tobacconist here in town, Uhley's. The blend is a pleasing straight Virginia, definitely not an aromatic, burns on a single light after an initial charring, mellows mid-way down, leaving a powdery white ash. Definitely recommended.

grafvonreuter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grafvonreuter (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I found this blend to be truly an aromatic. The leaf looks lovely in the tin and has a sweet, but not overpowering aroma. Truly an enjoyable smoke for morning to mid-day, during which times I can find English mixtures with a lot of Latakia a bit overpowering and tension-headache inducing. I would not recommend this to people who are English fanatics. There is no trace of anything spicy or Latakian. Just a pleasant mellow smoke.

JEM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JEM (12)

I love Virginia tobacco and this one is nice. Mild is the key word here. When I opened the tin, I got the distinct smell of raisins. It lights easily, stays lit, and has a nice texture to the smoke. It also has a pleasant smell in the room. If you like Virginia, this one is good. I agree that with some age, this one could be great.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

Is Gold Rush a sleeping giant? No, probably not. But, it is just what it is - a fairly mild and pleasant Virginia of good quality. It's not a complex blend, and stays mostly monochromatic. It's... nice. There. That's what this is. Given a few years of aging, this will be better. It's still a touch immature. Enjoy it now for what it is, and expect no more. We'll revisit it later, and see how it behaves when the sugars mature. Three stars.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)

My first bowl of Gold Rush came on 2/1/06. I was underwhelmed, unimpressed and I felt like this was totally average. I left the tin in the cabinet for a couple of weeks then tried it again, figuring I had not been fair to it. Maybe I was having a bad day in 2/1/06 or something because I am now a fan of Gold Rush. It still strikes me as being a little "young" but it has everything a VA smoker could look for. It is high in sugar content, burns wonderfully (I was smoking a bowl tonight and put ht epipe inmy coat pocket to bring some groceries in from the car and when Pulled the pipe out of my pocket to smoke, it didn't need re-lighting) and has a great flavor. I will buy some tins to cellar as this might be a chart topper whence it ages some.