Ashton Gold Rush

(2.77)
A pure Virginia blend made of only the most outstanding Virginia tobaccos. Medium bodied and smooth, this mixture burns beautifully and renders a natural aroma accented by traces of lemon and honey.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.77 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 40 of 48 Reviews
May 01, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Gold Rush was a very pleasant introduction to straight Virginia tobacco for me. It's grassy and mildly sweet with notes of honey and lemon zest. I don't taste any topping at all and Gold Rush certainly doesn't smoke like an aromatic--these flavor attributes come naturally from the tobacco. It's a natural-tasting tobacco that is perfect for a crisp spring day. The flavors don't jump out at you, but begin to shine through as you smoke down the bowl.

Gold Rush packs and lights well, but it is just a little bit moist straight from the tin. The room note is fairly pleasant but not as nice to passersby as an aromatic would be. There's absolutely no tongue bite to be had here. This blend comes highly recommended to newbies and experienced smokers alike looking to get a great-tasting Virginia tobacco. I'll certainly be grabbing another tin or two for the cellar.
Pipe Used: MM cob
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins.com
Age When Smoked: new from tin
May 29, 2015 Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant
I found this tobacco to be fairly decent and was very pleased with the body of the smoke but was disappointed by the lack of taste. The room note was very pleasant.
Apr 15, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I smoked three bowls of this tobacco in three different pipes; I enjoyed this tobacco but got bite each time. It is tasty once you get the bowl going good, but it seems like it has a little casing. Maybe it's just me but I felt like I needed to puff more to get good body and flavor from it and when I did I got a little bite. Straight Virginia is what the description states and I believe it but there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. It is good but not as good as some other straight Virginia blends that I've tried. This was a gift from a CigarBum.com buddy and I will finish what I've got but won't buy any more.
Pipe Used: Charatan second yachtsman
PurchasedFrom: gift from CigarBum.com friend.
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Sep 23, 2010 Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
I like Ashton's blends, but this isn't one of their best.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the tin aroma is sweet and with a slight citrus scent. It's moist and looks tasty.

I found it needed a little extra rubbing out, otherwise it was a swine to keep alight.

I can detect , rather surprisingly, no discernable room note, although Mrs RH has not passed comment either way.

Halfway through the tin, it's remained tasteless. Drying it out, it's still tasteless. Lacks character. No bitey.

Won't be buying another tin after this has gone.
Jun 23, 2010 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant
This is yet another very decent tobacco from Ashton. I bought a tin of this after reading the many positive reviews on this forum, and am quite happy I did.

I am not a VA smoker everyday, but I do enjoy a nice light easy going Virginia on a hot summer day while relaxing with a glass of ice tea or a tall malty beverage.

The moisture content was almost perfect upon popping the tin, and it did definitely benefit tremendously from a few months on the rack.

I bought this in the late winter, and not being in the lighter VA mood yet, I let it be until the early summer.

The tin aroma is wonderful. A delightful bouquet of dried fruit and citrus. It packs with ease, and stays lit with minimal trouble. Occasional tamping and slow puffing leads to a euphoric expeirence.

I would recommend this to anyone just delving into the world of Virginia tobaccos, or someone who is looking for an easy going all day smoke.

The room note is very nice, but maybe not to non smokers. It of course has that very natural tobacco aroma, and no sweet casing that will have the ladies tripping over your heals. Still it is not a bad indoor smoke.
Sep 19, 2007 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I usually like staight VAs but something was amiss in this one. I detected something in the taste I didn't quite like and Pipestud and Puff Daddy said it well - "new" and "immature".

I would have said "green".

Other than that, I like the lemon/honey flavoring - not too strong but definitely present throughout the smoke.

A decent straight VA, but one of my least favorites of the kind. More agining pre-tinning would have helped I think.

I bought this in a shop because it was the only staright VA they had. That will likely be the scenario if I ever buy this blend again.

I'm keeping my tin to see if age improves the green twang. One can hope.

Thanks,

Ethan.
Mar 23, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
My first bowl of Gold Rush came on 2/1/06. I was underwhelmed, unimpressed and I felt like this was totally average. I left the tin in the cabinet for a couple of weeks then tried it again, figuring I had not been fair to it. Maybe I was having a bad day in 2/1/06 or something because I am now a fan of Gold Rush. It still strikes me as being a little "young" but it has everything a VA smoker could look for. It is high in sugar content, burns wonderfully (I was smoking a bowl tonight and put ht epipe inmy coat pocket to bring some groceries in from the car and when Pulled the pipe out of my pocket to smoke, it didn't need re-lighting) and has a great flavor. I will buy some tins to cellar as this might be a chart topper whence it ages some.
Mar 10, 2021 Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
Straight up, this was a pleasure to smoke. The VAs were not overly sharp and the additives were not overly intrusive. A honey, lemon, hay nose wafts, but the honey dissappears when smoked. Theres's a definite lemony edge to this smoke. The lemon edge borders on tinny, taste wise, and that would be my only complaint. The snork is outstanding! The nicotine is low level, which means I LIKE IT! Overall a pleasurable smoke. I'd purchase this again. Good job K&K.

Keep on pipin'
Pipe Used: Jobey, straight
Aug 30, 2019 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I am not one in search for tobacco that is the subject of a fiery debate, but rather bought this out of curiosity. I always had a good experience with Ashton tobaccos, and GOld Rush is something new in my local store. Overall ... one interesting virginia. Out of the tine ... a golden looking ribbon (probably the reason for the name), with some remains of a broken flake here and there. The nose is grassy and sweet, very drawing I might add. Unlike your most US Virginias, it doesn't have the ketchupy / vinegary element to it, either. I didn't leave it out to dry, just stuffed my 320 and lit the baccy. I am quite happy with this. For one, I am not that big on virginia, but ... this is one pleasant smoke. Very sweet, a tad reminder of honey taste - although the tin label insists that there is no casing. Some may say it's plain, but in my humble opinion it is just a straight, friendly virginia, with subtle hints of various sweetness. In other words, while taste is not straight in your face, I find it having several levels. A very pleasant smoke indeed, and in my 9 mm filtered pipe, I am happy to say there was no bite. I warmly recommend it for virginia beginners, and as a curiosity to those more advanced ones as well.
Jan 05, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Very nice plain VA of decent quality, but there is a drawback. This tobacco burns rather quickly compared to all the other similar blends I have tried - and that is dozens and dozens of them - and also has a marked tendency to overheat at the slightest provocation. Nothing else wrong with it otherwise from my point of view; good fresh and light ribbon cut VA - but I would not recommend it for beginners.
Pipe Used: High-end English briars
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes USA
Age When Smoked: Not more than a year or so.
Jun 13, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
Soft and sweet flavor was good. Also was impressive with especially sweet to be felt in the tip of the tongue is small. It is not special, but it was safe taste of as many people prefer.
Pipe Used: Peterson Aran
PurchasedFrom: PipeStory Eunpyeong, Seoul, Korea.
Jan 05, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
I found this blend to be quite enjoyable. Usually I rarely smoke anything that is aromatic in nature but this blend is a very satisfying mid-afternoon smoke in between my Burley morning blends and my Crooked lane english evening blend.
Pipe Used: my extended cobs
PurchasedFrom: my cellar
Nov 28, 2012 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
This is a ribbon-cut mixture of golden and mid-brown Virginias, of varying cuts and lengths. It has a nice moisture content from the tin, if slightly damp. The tin note is rather plain, slightly tangy and woody at first, with no distinct flavours or aroma. It's rather similar to cigarette tobacco and there is little suggestion of the honey and lemon flavouring which, according to blenders K&K, has been added to this blend.

The smoke starts off quite sweet with light tangy and woody Virginia flavours. The subtle honey flavouring builds mid-bowl, with traces of lemon, and remains until the end. Overall it is low in strength, but the last 1/3 of the bowl was often peppery and gave me the niccups a few times.

This tobacco lights easily, stays lit and burns hot if smoked anything more than a little fast. I bought a tin of this thinking it would make a nice light-aromatic summer-time smoke. It fits the bill in most respects, but it burns too fast to be smoked outdoors. For a Virginia blend, it is rather one-dimensional even if treated right. The tobacco dries-out quickly, and with the various small “cube-cuts”, I was soon left with half a tin of dry dusty tobacco (although it does smoke better on the dry side). I agree with others who suggest that a rather immature or poorer quality tobacco has been chosen as the base for this aromatic.
Oct 22, 2011 Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
Got a new tin and popped it open right away. Moist but not too. Beautiful gold color. Packed great. As I smoke slow I taste the honey & lemon when I exhale through my nostrils. I love the smooth taste with no bite. I smell the tin again and I remember back to my childhood working in my family's tobacco fields & barns.
Jun 09, 2011 Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant
When i first opened the tin i realised the smell of raisin. Better to dry a bit, like all va-s. Good leaf, recommended for VA lovers. Nicely brings the lemon and honey taste.
Feb 08, 2011 Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant
I Don't know if the tin I got was bad, but as much as I can appreciate Virginian tobacco, this was a terrible experience.

I opened the tin and it first smelled ok, the citrus/honey fragrance coming out of the tin at first seemed inviting. I packed a corn cob and there we go, after half a bowl, I have to stop smoking, I am feeling nauseous becasue of the "overflavoring".

The tobacco is Virginian, very mild on its own, and the flavoring is VERY overwhelming in contrast with the tobacco. I felt like Ashton sold me stale tobacco soaked in citrus/honey...

I gave it a try the next day, after eating this time, but again, I could not finish it. I smoke Virginian in my cigarettes everyday, but it does not make me sick like this. I am very curious about who liked that mixture...or I really had a bad tin? Anyway, not even good enough for a home blend to my taste...one more try in a few weeks and then to the trash, update in a couple weeks.
Jul 23, 2010 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Well not much to say. Experienced pipe smokers said well here that this blend is immature. And this situation does not offer you the rich tastes of pure Virginia smoking. I've dried thinking maybe it would offer that richness, however it smoked even hotter in this way. Dried or not be careful not to smoke it fast! Low nicotine and low taste. This "new" blend was not a memorable smoke experience to me.
Apr 25, 2010 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I recently purchased an aged tin off a "clearance shelf" at a local tobacconist here in town, Uhley's. The blend is a pleasing straight Virginia, definitely not an aromatic, burns on a single light after an initial charring, mellows mid-way down, leaving a powdery white ash. Definitely recommended.
May 03, 2009 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant
Opening the tin reveals a golden to mid-brown ribbon cut tobacco that possesses a rather plain tangy and woody smell. I could not identify any distinct flavours or aromas, and found very little to distinguish the smell of this tobacco from that of Virginia tobacco for cigarette rolling. The tobacco has a nice moisture content, if a little damp, and may bite the tongue if not dried out for a few minutes.

The tobacco has a mild tangy taste that starts sugary and develops into a satisfying honey and lemon flavour. The smoke is weak bodied but there is a bit of a nicotine kick towards the end of the bowl. Gold Rush is a pleasant and mild tobacco, if somewhat uninspiring, and I recommend it as a good all-day smoker.
Mar 15, 2009 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
I found this blend to be truly an aromatic. The leaf looks lovely in the tin and has a sweet, but not overpowering aroma. Truly an enjoyable smoke for morning to mid-day, during which times I can find English mixtures with a lot of Latakia a bit overpowering and tension-headache inducing. I would not recommend this to people who are English fanatics. There is no trace of anything spicy or Latakian. Just a pleasant mellow smoke.

target="_blank"