Ashton Gold Rush

(2.77)
A pure Virginia blend made of only the most outstanding Virginia tobaccos. Medium bodied and smooth, this mixture burns beautifully and renders a natural aroma accented by traces of lemon and honey.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.77 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 48 Reviews
Feb 14, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I try to review each tobacco I encounter on its own merits without too much reference to other's points of view. But one can't help glancing through what lies beneath and in this case I have to say that there seem to have been some very harsh judgements.

First, why do so many insist that there is a casing/topping here? I certainly can't detect any, although perhaps the lightness and sweetness of this blend has led some astray.

Bear in mind good people of the US - for I believe you are in the majority here - that not all straight Virginias are either ketchup scented (US style), or dried hay (UK style). There are European blenders who do things just a little differently and I believe that K&K are true to the roots of this particular variant in what they have achieved.

And that is: light, grassy and - yes - lemony leaves which burn smoothly and easily. Nothing too complicated going on here, just a very steady dose of fine smoking goodness, done in a slightly different manner, but assuredly Virginia nonetheless.

So take it for what it is, don't decry it for what it isn't and enjoy it if you have a mind to.

Recommended.
Oct 16, 2013 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I bought this tin when it was a new blend , whenever that was . I popped the tin when I first bought it and it had a lemony flavor [ top noteish ] along with the Virginia , which was very nice . It burned perfect and was a wonderful consistent smoke to the bottom .I'd have given it 3 stars . However , I let the 2nd half of the tin age in a jar for maybe 5 months .. it's even better ! The Lemony flavor toned down and it developed a near perique spice like flavor that I hadn't tasted when it was fresh . It still lit and burned perfect , of course , and I will be ordering more to cellar ! It's a 4 star blend all the way with not a whole lot of aging .. I love it Edit 7/20015 For anyone above who says they don't believe this is a pure Virginia blend .. it is . The tobacco it contains is all Virginia and it is mildly flavored with Lemon and honey . No , it isn't a " raw " Virginia [ what is , in reality ] and yes , it's has a mild aromatic flavoring
just like it says in the description . Please , don't not try this blend because someone says it isn't Virginia . You'd be better off reading the tin description that reading TR it seem . They'll let anyone post here
Feb 25, 2006 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This new Ashton blend tasted a bit "new." Not really a good thing for tobacco. Still, it certainly has the potential to age well in the tin.

If you enjoy a somewhat tangy, light and lemony Virginia, this will be a bell ringer. I found the flavor to be somewhat light and the nicotine content is low.

Caution: Smoke it slowly.
Apr 07, 2019 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
After Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake introduced me to the world of straight Virginias, I seeked a companion that can be on the mild side, so I may consider it an all-day smoke (FVF is more of an evening smoke for me). Plus, Ashton makes good tobaccos and this one was next in line after their excellent Englishes.

Gold Rush presents itself in nuances of light and dark brown colors, which makes me believe there's more than one type of Virginia in this blend. The cut is more of a loose cut than a ribbon. You have ribbons, some chunky bits and pieces of broken flakes. The tin note? It smells like a Virginia. It's sweet, grassy, with a pretty noticeable honey odor, plus an almost fermented flagrance. Comes pretty moist in the tin, but not too bad. 30 minutes of drying time is more than enough.

Mechanically, if dried properly, shouldn't pose too many problems. Packs well, lights well, stays lit nicely and only required a handful of relights. Doesn't bite, smokes dry and pretty cool for a Virginia. However, there's one problem caused by the cut: it burns a little too fast. The pipe of choice has a decently sized bowl and filled should smoke for at least one and a half hour with a good ribbon; two hours or more with a flake or broken flake. This one was finished in about one hour.

Once you light it and get it under control, you can start enjoying the flavor. And this one has what you would expect from a straight VA: sweet, grassy, hay-ish, slight citrusy taste. I detect a faint hint of honey, though I'm not sure if that's the topping or if it comes from the natural sweetness of the Virginia leaf. But, overall, a sweet smoke and pretty even throughout the bowl, though it can turn a bit acrid/sour as you're getting close to the heel.

In the end, it's a pretty mild and a nice, pleasant, sweet smoke. It's a good offering from Ashton. Definitely an all-day smoke and can be a good initiation for someone who has never smoked a straight Virginia before, but I would also recommend it to Virginia lovers who want to smoke something mild. The cut didn't allow me to enjoy it longer, which is a pity, but I will still recommend it.
Pipe Used: Half-bent Savinelli Capitol
PurchasedFrom: Tobacco store
Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin
Oct 29, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Ashton - Gold Rush.

Update, 25/07/18.

The blend's borderline broken flake. None of it requires a further rubbing but it's coarser than a standard ribbon cut. As you'd expect from a Virginia, the contents are medium brown with a few lighter flecks.

The smoke from it's high quality. There's a light fruity note, citrus, on top of sweet Virginias, with a touch of honey-sweetness. The Virginias don't have a sharp, grassy, flavour alone. As a bowl burns they develop more of a ripe, tangy, tartness, and become more satisfying. The smoke from it's medium in temperature, delivered from a consistent burn, and only bites when really pushed.

Nicotine: medium at a push. Room-note: pleasant.

Gold Rush? My original take wasn't that high, but I've retyped as I find it a good smoke. Recommended:

Three stars.
Pipe Used: Loads. Pete' #03 for retype
PurchasedFrom: Various UK retailers
May 21, 2009 Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
I'm giving this 4 stars, I could have said, "3". But I love a light VA without a heavy casing. To me it's a more refined MacB's No.1 Va. Less sugary and the cut is golden flakes as opposed to broken flake. It was quite dry from the tin, which is great to smoke but I wonder with such lack of moisture in the tin how well it might age. It has a wonderful fresh citrus lemon taste, and not sour at all, just a hint of the honey in the background. It's simplicity and gentleness is it's strength. I love my darker aged and stoved VA's, but this is wonderful for the morning or summer strolls. I think it is very unfair to call this an aromatic or even a semi-aro, I wish other blends where as honest as this. Young leaf with a hint of lemon. Try some it will put some spring in the air.
Apr 02, 2012 Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable
Expectation controls satisfaction. I was looking for a straight, fresh tasting, mild Virginia and Gold Rush completely fills the bill. Nothing fancy, just pure light ribbon cut Virginia. It lights easily and burns to a white ash with a consistent flavor. To really appreciate this tobacco I recommend using a clean Meerschaum pipe. Low nicotine and delicate taste.
Aug 13, 2021 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
For me the best way to describe this is with an analogy: If premium pipe tobaccos are like the craft beer of smoking, often having big bold complex flavors, then Ashton Gold Rush is like a craft brewed version of a classic, subtle, well-balanced pilsner.

It's not going to blow your mind with huge flavors and a complex journey for your palette but it certainly is a nice crisp, easy drinkin, well-crafted, all day kind of smoke.

For me that is what I really enjoy about this blend in particular is the simplicity of it that allows you to really enjoy the flavor of the Virginias on their own rather than a loud cacophony of countless different flavors all screaming for your attention.

It's a refreshing, light treat with some subtle notes of dried hay, lemon grass, and honey here and there but honestly the main star here is just a beautiful classic tobacco flavor. Maybe that sounds odd to say but I really enjoy just the good old baccy flavor in this.

An interesting aspect of this blend though are the smoking mechanics. My tin was fairly moist and I've smoked it as-is from the tin and other bowls after letting it dry out. This tobacco burns very well, even when moist surprisingly. If packed loosely it will burn VERY quick yet not very hot. if packed tightly it will burn slower but has a tendency to heat up. And this seems to be the case whether it's tin-moist or dried further. I actually like this aspect of it because I can pack it loose for a quick smoke or pack a little tighter for a long slow easy-puffing session. I've had 8 bowls of this so far and no matter the moisture level or packing method I've used it always seems well behaved and burns completely... just don't pack it tight and puff it hard.
Pipe Used: MM Dagner. MM Cobbit Shire. Italian briar basket.
PurchasedFrom: Leesburg Cigar & Pipe
Age When Smoked: Just bought the tin
Jan 19, 2019 Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant
I gave this a try as it sounded like something I could smoke all day without too much fuss. And it is. The tin note is of raisins, grassy Virginias with a very subtle Citrus topping. Ribbon cut. This is a delightful all day smoke. Moisture was about right out of the tin but a day or two in a jar really brings out the flavour. It's not a complex smoke, just a very pleasant, mild and delicious Virginia. Nice with a glass of lemonade. This is now my all day smoke. I get no bite, it stays lit very well, and burns right down to a nice dry ash. My latest batch seems to be a bit more towards raisins than citrus which is odd, but I can't detect much change in the taste. My only gripe is there seems to be a lot of 'twigs' in the mix and the price is a little on the high side for a fairly ordinary tobacco, but I really do enjoy it. Try it if you, like me, prefer light, mild tobacco.
Pipe Used: Falcon International. Duncan Poker.
PurchasedFrom: My Smoking Shop
Age When Smoked: Straight from packet
Mar 23, 2017 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Yes...Gold Rush is well done. It comes by as being a 100% Virginia mixture. There is no nuttiness or hint suggesting the use of Burley. If there is (and I am confident there is none), it is really no more than a small pinch; barely enough to fool me. Upon opening, I see lemon, bronze and probably what looks like a bit of red virginias as well. Mostly a ribbon cut, there is also pieces of flakes, darker in colour, suggesting stoved Virginias. I have no idea how old my tin was when I acquired it. However, it is labelled as of March 2016. Considering the tobacco was ready to smoke the day after opening, I suspect it has been tinned a few years prior. A. Strength: Strength refers to the intensity of the nicotine. Gold Rush is mild on the nicotine. B. Flavouring: The tin aroma does reveal some citrus and hay; but I cannot say I detect any honey. I would be surprised there is any added flavourings. If there are, they are subtle. C. Taste: Upon lighting up, nothing much happens at first. Past the first quarter, Gold Rush offers a very good quality, adequately aged Bronze and Lemon virginias taste: soft flavours of hay, citrus and, yes, maybe something very slightly sweet that reminds me of honey. It is never big ( which is perfectly normal, considering the type of Virginias used); thus, to get the best out of it, you must pay attention. If not, it will come by as being bland. D. Room Note: Gold Rush releases a soft and pleasant room note which is barely perceivable. E. Rating: Not only does it burn extremely well; but it is not harsh, it does not smoke hot and it does not bite. Taking into account my mitigated experiences with other Ashton offerings, Gold Rush has surprised me in a positive way. The best way I can describe it is that I find it refreshing and restful for my palate. And the quality of leaf used is irreproachable. I'm glad I bought it. And I will definitively be buying more. I assess that, starting at 5 to 7 years (and more), it will be a very pleasant smoke for my pipes. 3 stars.
Pipe Used: Danish Sovereign; Stanwell; Luciano
Age When Smoked: 1 year from purchase; probably older.
Mar 03, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Realy like this one. Good light flavor. No nicotine buzz, which is good for me. Ide give this one a 8 out of 10. Very good over all
Jan 22, 2011 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This one is frustrating. When everything goes right, it gives me the best tasting, most flavorful smoke I've yet had. The problem is getting it there.

To get a good experience, I have to 1)dry a bowl's worth for at least an hour 2)pack lightly in a cob (aluminum and briar kill it, somehow) 3)sip it so gingerly like you're scared it might be lit 4)smoke indoors, away from any breezes. (It burns hot as it is...Also, the testosterone usurping succubus I cohabit with makes indoor smoking difficult!) 5)totally concentrate on the experience. (Number 5 is the real gooch.)

A lot of y'all will think 'So what?' because this is your MO for every time you smoke. Me? Most times I'm clenching, drooling, walking, talking and generally not paying attention. This weed goes lifeless at the slightest provocation...a real problem for someone with ADD like myself.

But boy howdy, when it's on, it's on! Mmm Mmm...subtle sweet citrus. (More so than even OGS.)I love the color of the ribbon and its 'Gerber Baby' pureed apricot smell as well. (The room note whilst smoking is quite nice too.)

I wish this was a 'set it and forget it' blend, but alas, it's not. Still, I enjoy gold Rush enough to at least entertain keeping some on hand...for the rare times I can quiet my monkey mind and actually 'be one with the smoke'.

Sadly, three stars.
Apr 26, 2020 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Even though straight Virginia blends have never been among my favorites, as soon as I smelled the tin note I knew this would be a winner, and it is! Kind of hard to figure the relatively low rating, but I'm glad I discovered this blend, which is now my favorite "light and bright" Virginia.

Being primarily golden Virginia, it is not going to be as dark and earthy as Dunhill Flake, Astley's 44, or Wessex Dark, but it seems to have more body and interest than other golden VA's I tried like Kendal Gold (and it also burns cooler than that shag cut). It also doesn't seem to have some of the (to me) negative yeasty attributes of blends like Yorktown, and it is more layered than a stolid blend like Tilbury. I found it aromatically more expressive than Hamborger Veermaster but I wouldn't go quite as far as to call it a semi-aromatic as some have (you'd have to bump up to something like Erinmore for that). These comparisons are just an attempt to place this within the world of straight Virginias.

I don't get any lemony citrus at all but depending on the pipe there is sometimes a soft sourness that reminds me of ruby grapefruit rind. But the dominant flavors are golden hay, baked honey, some sweet nuttiness like sunflower seed, and a dusting of white pepper and coriander on the retrohale. The spicy nuance adds a pleasing complexity but can dominate if puffed too aggressively. Also, in some pipes it is delicious right from first light, in others it sometimes takes a while to get to that 4-star goodness.
Pipe Used: Buescher cob, vintage Comoy, SMS meerschaum.
Aug 30, 2013 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
A quality mixture of gold Virginia ribbon cut. Moisture is fine right from the tin, but you may want to rub it out first and pack it in the pipe a while before you smoke it - I usually pack it the day before I smoke and it lights and smokes perfect.

Smokes relatively cool and mild with a light fragrance - some citrus notes - flavour is mild natural and pleasant with light nuttiness and a lemon note - it can get a bit peppery if you draw too hard on it. All in all a pleasant smoke if you like a mild full Virginia mix.
Apr 17, 2009 Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Not my favorite Virginia blend. I primarily smoke English blends and alternate with Virginias. It smokes a bit wet and on the verge of tongue bite like so many aromatics, which is why I don't smoke them daily. In addition it does not seem to be a natural Virginia blend. Perhaps a bit more aging. I think I will go back to some of the stoved Virginia Blends.
Sep 17, 2008 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
My guess is that Ashton got stuck with a bunch of second-rate virginia and they sauced it in order to provide the sweetness and flavour that should occur naturally in decent leaf. Well, they're not fooling me. This is an aromatic, not a "pure virginia blend" at all. It burns well (and smokes fairly cool for a cased virginia), and it tastes pretty much the same from beginning to end: notes of salt, pepper, and (of course) a citrus candy taste.

This isn't disgusting, but I don't much care for aromatics, and good virginia leaf should never need to be cased this heavily.
Feb 24, 2008 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
OK.. its not a dream come true but also not as bad as GUILTY PLEASURE..

If you want something mild for all day smoke this is a good choice!

If you are looking for something special with some character I think you will be disappointed..

I liked it somehow but I am not going to buy it again..

Worths a try..
May 19, 2021 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
This looks like art, and I will be the first to tell you that I would pick this up in a shop based on the art alone. When I open up the tin I see a mostly bright Virginia ribbon with some stems every now and again. The tin note smells of bright Virginia hay, grass, and citrus. The toppings are noticeable, fruits, citrus and honey and it makes this blend smell wonderful. It came at a smokeable dryness. It takes a light fairly easily.

Right after you get it lit that Virginia sweetness comes through. I taste hay, grass and sugar coming from the leaf. The toppings don't cover the taste of the underlying tobaccos but they augment it. The citrus plays off of the Virginia very well, and the honey marries into the inherent sweetness of the leaf. I think an inexperienced pipe smoker in the world of Virginias might have trouble detecting the toppings as toppings, which is to say that it's very tastefully done.

The taste is a mild-medium. It is a nice lingering smoke, that doesn't ask too much of your tastebuds. The strength is a mild, and it doesn't need to be any more than that. I think the room note will be a hit, the smoke is light and sweet. This can tend to burn hot, so slow methodical puffs will yield the best results.
Pipe Used: Savinelli Miele
PurchasedFrom: B&M
May 06, 2019 Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable
I have smoked 2-3 pipes of this and just gave it away. It has some kind of perfume in behind, for me it was horrible... I'll definitely never buy this again... I like the tin design...
Pipe Used: Stanwell
Dec 24, 2018 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
As a regular reviewer here at TR, I try to relate my own, personal experience as much as possible, without undue influence from other reviewers. However, there are times when my own experience seems far afield from others whose reviews I trust enough to try certain blends in the first place! And such is the case for me with Ashton’s Gold Rush, which fact I mention because this review ultimately takes others’ reviews into consideration, albeit I still call it like I see it, for whatever that is worth.

In the tin I popped, Ashton’s Gold Rush is clotted, wet, yellow-orange ribbons that smell rather like lemonade over fragrant meadow grasses. The lemonade fades and morphs into rose geranium over a few days rest in its “re-sealed” tin. Dried some, AGR lights OK and burns down quickly, the smoke smelling like the best of the tin note, with similar, fragrant, meadow grassy tastes, certainly in 3 star territory. However, I am disappointed to report that AGR consistently turns acrid on me as it’s smoked down. YMMV, of course but, in this case, light VAs and rose geranium notwithstanding, Gold Rush is not St. Bruno Flake, and more’s the pity, IMO. Strength is mild. Tastes are mild. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste for me is an acrid, slightly ashen version of the best of the smoke.

While I can appreciate some acidity, too much is too much, and why suffer. Reading the other reviews, it seems it must be personal chemistry that delivers such an acrid taste to me, personally. Bottom line, I can’t honestly recommend this blend based on personal experience, especially in view of the stellar “competition” in the VA category. That YMMV should be plain enough from the other, thoughtful reviews of this blend.
Pipe Used: various VA briars