Inspired by the famous Blue Note Cafe in New York City, this blend of Burley, Virginia and world famous Green River Black Cavendish has been expertly blended for the utmost in taste

Packaging1.5oz Pouch, Bulk

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

2.3
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Free sample pack, and worth every penny. The pouch aroma was of a strong topping interlaced with a synthetic, chemical smell which was probably the humectants that Altadis apparently uses in large doses. The flavor picked up on this chemical sensation, and was readily apparent from beginning to end of bowl. Other than that, the tobacco was overly moist and gooey, with very little flavor but a nice room note.

I find nothing to recommend this tobacco. Perhaps without the humectants, Altadis might have something. I ended up mixing this 50/50 with Carter Hall and it toned down the concoction to the point where it was barely smokable - which was an improvement. Ultimately, I threw the whole mess in the trash. Not as bad as their Irish Creme but foul enough to warrant using as a room air freshener only.

LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (6)
Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

What's this tobacco like? I have absolutely no idea, as I couldn't taste any tobacco. For all I know the base for this blend could have consisted of anything, from the finest of Virginias to the sweepings from the bottom of a rabbit hutch. It was so heavily cased with flavouring that nothing of the tobacco remained. And what a flavouring! Imagine taking a tub of mixed effluents from a food essences factory. Now dribble some into the bowl of your pipe, apply a blowtorch, and in my opinion you have a pretty good approximation of the Blue Note experience. I only felt moved to review it because it's without doubt the worst stuff I've ever smoked.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Smoked from date of purchase

Purchased From: Tobacco Galleria, USVI

astarus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
astarus (1)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

On the pre-light draw I taste cherry, vanilla and chocolate, much like a cordial cherry you might get at Christmas. The pre-light draw was also the only time this blend didn't bite. Small pipe or large my tongue and the roof of my mouth suffered whenever I smoked this.

The tobacco itself was sticky even after being set out overnight to dry. I assume this is because of the addition of propylene glycol. It also left a foul-smelling gunk in the bottom of my cob.

As far as the taste, it was OK, what my poor abused tongue could taste. I guess the room note was alright but it smelled artificial and chemically to me.

For the price, (free) not too bad but I sure wouldn't buy it.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Pouch: Smells like chocolate-vanilla syrup. Ribbon cut that is light-brown to brown, with flecks of black. It will not stay rolled in a ball but did leave a residue on the fingers. Although Blue Note is of lesser quality, it reminds me of Nat Sherman's 509.

Lit and burned very well.

Tate & Aroma: Aromatics are the coquettes of tobacco: the pouch aroma promises much, but the taste and aroma delivers little. Blue Note was about 1/10 of the pouch aroma. It was just like a very subdued pouch aroma.

Room Note: Unlike some aromatics that have nice pouch aroma but a poor room note, Blue Note is nice.

Overall: For what it is, an aromatic, it is a cut above the usual OTC. 3.5 stars for an aromatic, but in my heart of hearts, I can't give an aromatic the same 3 stars that I've given to other non-aromatics. My pipes were not left gunked up, but a light ghost scent or signature was left.

Archangel506 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel506 (5)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is undoubtedly the worst aromatic I've smoked in the last 40+ years. The taste was so artificial,even metalic at times. I tryed several bowls in several pipes and could not force my self to finish any of them. On a scale of one to ten I'd have to give this blend a minus 10. In the future I'll aviod this blend like the plague.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first experience with Altadis blends. I enjoyed the smell of the pouch, but found the tobacco to be unpleasant to smoke. The tobacco was good, but the casing/flavor seemed "chemically". I disliked the blend so much that after smoking 1/3 of the bag I gave it away to a friend instead of throwing it away.

I tried smoking it in a briar, churchwarden, and corncob, and it burned well, but the flavor didn't improve any. Leaves a lot of gooey residue even if you smoke it slowly and leave it on a plate for 1/2 an hour before smoking it.

The aroma was ok. My wife who likes many of my tobaccos said that the smell of this blend was her least favorite of the some 6 tobaccos that I have smoked in our apartment.

I think I will try one more Altadis blend, Montego Bay, before giving up on the brand...

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

Flavor: Some sweetness, mostly PG.

Complexity: None

Aroma: Sweet but undertermined, perhaps a hint of vanilla but mostly humectants.

Tin/pouch aroma: Vanilla and humectant with some hints of stale and cheap tobacco.

Room note: A wife pleaser, unfortunately I need more than a pleasant room note to like a pipe tobacco.

Burning characteristics: Few relights, leaves a lot of gunk in your pipe though.

Cut/Moisture content: Loose cut and moisture content isn't bad considering it's an aromatic. It's loaded with PG though.

Overall: Altadis isn't a company I hold in very high esteem. Some of their cigars are pretty decent but their pipe weeds are unremarkable and, sometimes, unenjoyable. This is probably one of their most decent offerings but not something I'd recommend since there are much better blends out there. I got a free sample in the mail but I wouldn't waste my time with it again.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Altadis company has been very kind in sending my local pipe club a box full of packages of a different blend of theirs every month. Blue Note was a recent gift and frankly, was quite a hit with many club members.

This is not at all like the Blue Note of CAO/Dan Tobacco fame. Altadis Blue Note is a lighter and less cased cut of leaf with more tobacco flavor and less of the "cotton candy" taste.

It smoked relatively cool and stayed lit well. A fine Burley/Virginia combination for the aromatic lovers among us.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)

burns cool, no bite, and smells good. pairs well with a cup of coffe in the morning. has alot of spring to it when packed. try it. if u dont like it, well at least u gave it a deserved chance.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Horrible tried one bowl,two days later tried it again I just threw away the balance of 4oz.

DirtbikesAndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DirtbikesAndPipes (3)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Pouch smells very nice, smoke smells very nice, smoke tastes very nice, pouch should not be tasted. The cavendish adds that "blue note" to the "jazzy chord" that this blend is. To all you nay-sayers, keep it up, more Blue Note for me!

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Blue Note. This stuff is okay. Just okay. It sure is priced cheap enough. That's part of the allure for me. The other part is the taste... a nice kind of vanilla cream , reminds me of eating a Dairy Queen ice cream cone in the summer. I don't typically like vanilla flavored tobacco either, but this is a little different from the standard vanilla taste. The topping doesn't over-power the tobacco either, the tobacco is still plenty tasteable... it's just mild tobacco, doesn't seem to have much vitamin n content. The batch I'm on now does a little bit of sizzling in the bowl and leaves a little goo ... I should've let it dry out, I don't remember the last batch doing that. Well anyway, the price allows quantity buying, nice smooth taste and lovely room note. There's better out there, but this Blue Note ain't bad.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

I like this one. Although mild in strength and taste, it's room note is quite pleasant. May need a little drying out. I had one pouch that didn't need any drying at all. Burns decent enough. It'll bite if you smoke it fast. I like this one on some of my early morning car trips or in the evening. My Wife gave a thumbs up on the aroma. It's a decent smoke that I'd recommend to aromatic smokers new or old.

Piper Chris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper Chris (5)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

How anyone can give this 4 stars or 1 star is beyond me. Nothing special in my opinion. Not bad and yet not very good. It's just okay for me. Would I recommend trying it? That's up to you. Would I buy it again? No.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this and two other Altadis pouches as a sampler. I was expecting great things, as I am a fan of their cigars. What I wasn't expecting was that these are all drug store blends, with propylene glycol added. Nevertheless, I'm muddling through them (at least one bowl), and I have to admit: Blue Note surprised me, and still surprises me with each new bowl smoked.

This is the first time I have ever tasted a preservative that actually works with the blend. It's weird, but it somehow compliments the flavor, instead of overpowering it. If you've ever smoked a drug store blend before, you'll know that there is often an oiliness left behind in your mouth, along with a chemical taste. In Blue Note, the texture still remains, but the flavor doesn't. That's a very good thing.

It's a mild blend, and I have to admit that I'm perplexed by those reviewers who have experienced gummy residue left behind in the bowl. I've smoked about five bowls, and have yet to have anything left behind besides grey, clean ash. It smokes cool, with no bite or gurgle, and the cavendish really shines through.

I can't believe I'm waxing poetic about a drug store blend, but Blue Note is not only a good tobacco blend, it's actually a pretty great drug store blend. In today's economy, it's certainly worth a shot.

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)

Love it. One of my favorites. I mix it with another tobacco like half and half or prince to get more nic but have no prob smoking it on it's own. Try it. Love the smell. If this were the only tobacco I could get...no prob.

guerillagorilla Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guerillagorilla (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

A personal favorite of mine. Blue note has it all: a wonderful room note, a subtle casing over the black cavendish that serves to accentuate the cavendish rather than overpower it. The strength is not overpowering, nor did I get tongue-bite when smoking this blend.

Helzbelz75 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helzbelz75 (4)

I'm not sure why this tobacco only gets an average of 2 stars. I think it is a solid 3 stars. It smokes well with a rich, sweet pleasant taste and good room aroma. Not sure what exactly I'm tasting but I think some vanilla and hazelnut. All I know is I like it. Once you get down the last 1/8th of the bowl it starts to taste a little like burnt tobacco but for the money that's okay with me. That's the only reason why I didn't give it 4 stars. Fairly cool burning, no tongue bite, no gook. Enjoy!!!

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It seems that I found this tobacco more enjoyable than most of the reviewers. Admittedly I was met with an overpowering aroma that was rich enough to turn my stomach when I opened the bag, but as soon as I let the bag sit open and then began to smoke, it smoothed out with a rich and creamy smoke. The black cavendish is still very noticeable through the casing.

The room note is extremely pleasant, reminiscent of a nice baked confectionery. I recommend this tobacco for aromatic lovers as an everyday smoke.

rlrideoutjr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlrideoutjr (4)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

I received a sample of this in the mail and was not impressed at all. I found it to be too wet and was too busy ramming pipe cleaners down the stem to sop up the moisture to enjoy the bowl. The only thing that was somewhat tolerable was the room note, but it did not pass the 9 year old's test and she instantly told me that she did not like the smell.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Blue note was a free sample I got in the mail box nice shiny pouch and tobacco nice color variety,then I smoked 5 bowls and could not not finish. First flavor is not top quality and the it was too wet and my corn cob did the gurgle song .My wife test did not pass . I m glad it was free.

huffnpuff

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This does not taste much like tobacco, but I just can't find a way to say it was completely unpleasant to smoke, just not that often or for an entire pipeful. All of these Altadis blends start hissing at you as you get past the middle of the bowl, and the stuff you subsequently knock out is gummy and gross! And still hissing. I might have given it one star if it tasted horrible, or gave me tongue bite, or wasn't free, but you get my drift...

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tastes like the left overs in an ash try at the Blue Note Cafe. Nice room note, bad tongue bite. Do I have to give it any stars?

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

Didn't expect much from it but have been surprised at how often I've gone back to my sample pack. I love the ribbon cut, which allows me to pack the tobacco just right to get the right draw (something I can't always get from say the Middletons crimp cuts). Long and slow burning: got two hours of a nice smoke yesterday from my long stem Canadian. The vanilla flavoring is a bit generic, neither bad nor exceptional; not overbearing, staying out of the way. Toward the end of the bowl the tobacco flavor starts to come to the forefront and mellows. Absolutely no tongue bite, smokes very cool. No end of bowl bitters and no left over gunky aftertaste (like 1-Q). I find myself turning to this when I need a no-maintenance, simple smoke.

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

= SEE BLUE NOTE BY DAN TOBACCO - WRONG REVIEW, I WILL ATTEMPT TO DELETE THIS =

cbomce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbomce (3)

Fired this in a clean Kirsten, good quality, not my cup of tea....but a decent smoke. It has all the qualities I expect when I try something new.

UNIFORMITY: in the pouch, from first light to last puff, from the first bowl to the last of the pouch even though it took me over a month to finish the pouch. I look for consistency if I am going to purchase more of a blend and this has it. It would be a good choice for a change-of-pace or your regular blend. I picked up my first pipe over 40 yeas ago and this tobac has my respect.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I can't give this one too high a rating for I found it too mild for me which makes me puff too fast looking for flavor. I liked the flavor I did get and the aroma was very nice. It is sweet and burns quite well. Idid leave a little goop in the bottom but that is normal for aromatics. It would be good with more burley in it and a rougher cut instead of ribbon cut to slow it down.

This blend has two good things going for it. First, a pleasant pouch aroma that smelled like butterscotch/caramel. Second, a very appealing room note; although I had to put the pipe down, leave the room and return minutes later to appreciate this. After that, it reminded me of one of many Tinderbox aromatic blends I smoked many years ago. As a matter of fact, English Toffee is the TB blend I would compare this one to. Not much in the tobacco taste department, nor did I taste the casings. The all too typical chemical harshness came through which was not pleasant. Lots of moisture - and I'm sure even if bone dry, the casing would still break down and produce a gurgling bath in the bowl of the pipe. It wasn't totally bad, but it's too mild for my liking at this stage of my pipe smoking pleasure. Ok for beginners as there was no bite, but just not enough in the tobacco department for me. For when the mood strikes, but I'm sure not too often for me. 2 stars only.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Opened pouch to a delightful fruity smell with vanilla undertones. My pouch did not have chemical smell/taste. Burned well. Not wet or too hot. It came in free sample package. I would buy it. Enjoyed so much, ended up mixing it 50/50 with Tinderbox Cavendish to stretch it. This Cavendish complimented Blue Note very well.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my review: What little time I did spend smoking this blend is all the time I care to give to it. It was the second worst blend I have ever smoked...period.

apostle228 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apostle228 (4)

I have tried a few of the Altadis blends, and i like this one the most so far. It is a bit wet when first opened, but if you let it sit a few hours it dries up a bit. overall, my favorite from Altadis.

earlr1957 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earlr1957 (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just as its cousin,"Irish Creme", very wet smoke and gooey at bottom of bowl. Wont try it again.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Great flavorfull aromatic.If you like tobacco that taste good then here it is.Stays lit and keeps its flavor all the way to the bottom wich is very rare for altadis.If youre a true aromatic smoker,youll love this.Dont know why non-aromatic smokers keep reviewing aromatic tobacco.Its like me saying Budweiser is no good when I dont even drink beer.Blue Note is a excellent tobacco for aromatic lovers.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

another blend i purchased with irish creme tht i couldnt figure out what to comment about by all means,,,i cant say its a bad tobacco however some of the draw backs it possess is that it is a moist tobacco that burns a bit on the harsh side if not puffed on very slowly,,the room note wasnt that rewarding either, it is a cheap offering nevertheless and you can taste the sweetness if extra attention was paid by slow smoking. cannot say that i will purchase it again only if there are no other options.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)

I dunno, I like this tobacco for what it is but, I don't care for the use of humicants in any tobacco. But here goes. The pouch smell was, to me, musty. A pleasant, familiar mustiness like that of a cool root cellar. I got that same flavor of mustiness about half way down the bowl. This has a nice, not too sweet top flavor. Seems to be quality tobaccos throughout. It stayed lit, never bit and finished clean. A VERY nice room note and all-in-all a very satifying smoke. Now...on to the negatives. Why the hell do tobacco manufacturers think they have to poison tobacco with PPG and other humicants!? This tobacco could easily be one of the best 3 star aromatics around if they would just make it in smaller batches so they didn't have to warehouse 6 tons of the stuff and worry about it drying out.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I wasn't sure whether or not if I'd give this a two or three star rating, but after smoking several bowls, I'll be generous with a low end three star rating. I think a little more flavor would help this tobacco immensely. It burns well, no bite to speak of, and the room note is great. But IMHO it's a bit bland in the flavor department...

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

There was'nt a lot of true tobacco taste here for me, but this was much better than the other samples I recieved from Altadis,this seems like a halfway decent aromatic offering.The room note was decent as well.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well I got my free sample of Blue Note from Atladis. It came in about 6 weeks. I was actully surprised they send out samples. This blend is a good American Araomatic nothing out of the unusual . Just a pleasant smoke with a good aroma. Smoke not to wet and light easy. The Burley keeps this blend real. A good blend to have around the ladies. A real Crowd Pleaser.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great social smoke, the room note is to die for. The taste of the tobacco is heavily cased and strong in vanilla and liqueur. I will agree with the previous reviewers that this is probably the best Altadis aromatic. One word of caution, if you smoke it too fast the decent taste turns bitter. I also think like all Altadis aromatics, the casing is a bit rough around the edges.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

The flavor and room note of this tobacco is positively delicious. I really don't like strongly flavored tobacco, but this one is a nice change of pace, like a rich dessert that you order once in a great while.

The pecan pie of pipe tobacco. Exemplifies the Law of Diminishing Returns. The more you smoke, the less enjoyable.

headsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
headsouth (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was very easy to keep lit. It has a very nice room note that will draw in a lot of compliments from non-smokers. I even had a few ask me for a few puffs!

This is definitely my favorite of the 4 free packs of Altadis tobacco I got. I don't know what the heck Green River tobacco is but it sure is good. I recommend this as an anytime smoke.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Blue Note was a pleasant surprise. It burns well and stays lit. The flavor was mild. My wife commented on how much she liked the room note. An excellent tobacco for the aromatic lover, the beginner, and the veteran pipe smoker who is looking for something different.=== 10/25/2006 While this may have appealed to me at one time, I can no longer smoke itor any other heavily cased aromatic. I do still enjoy the occasional "quality" aromatic, like Glen Piper, but the Altadis offerings have too much casing.

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I finally got around to trying this from the sampler; I wasn't too impressed. I found it to be somewhat "bitey" through the whole smoke. The second half of the bowl did produce some oriental flavors but they were very mild. I could taste the burley, but it seemed more bitter than nutty. It was one of the less heavily cased of the samples. All in all not one that I will try again

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Purchased an unsmoked meer from DeadMansPipes.com for 25 bucks to try out some of the Altadis samples. Blue Note is clearly the best of the bunch...cool, mild, nice tasting...a top tier aromatic.

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The best of the free samples I received from Altadis. I taste and smell vanilla and chocolate. It burns well, not too sticky, and is a good mild smoke. Highly recommedned for beginners. I would not go out of my way to purchase some since there are many other blends I like better but I certainly would not hestitate to smoke this if my favorites were not available.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

tastes like chocolate and vanilla with green river after taste. nothing wonderful though. can ruin a pipe for 3 smokes. no after goppiness or bad taste - just normal aromatic

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)

i'll start with i liked this a lot,a cool smoke,dry,perfect strength.vanilla and choc came through nicely,i wasn't expecting it to taste like either just cause i couldn't really smell it in the pouch.the aroma was very good,i think the balance of the casings are right on.i would recommend this to a beginner,it had no bite and is a all around,maybe even all day smoke.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Slightly perfumey, slightly wet, lots of smoke, and a slight nip if rushed. Casing (more liquor/floral and less coco to me) seems to work OK with the burley here.

I find it remarkable how inconsistent the Tobacco Galleria series is. While some smoke fine, others are cursed with some truly low grade leaf. This may vary from batch to batch, I don't really know. No matter how good the sauce is, you just can't hide low quality, poorly aged tobacco.

Fortunately, I didn't have this problem with Blue Note. It is a classic Cavendish blend with a nice choco-nilla casing. I too found it to be a bit like Captain Black Royal, but toned down, and not as wet. It reminded me of a nice cup of hot cocoa. Very pleasant.

As I've said before, I like all genres of pipe tobacco, so long as quality ingredients are used. It then comes down to personal taste. While I like a bit more complexity,I can certainly recommend it to other pipesters who have a penchance for this sort of sweet, straight-forward aromatic. It is certainly worth a try.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A very good aromatic with vanilla and chocolate tones that doesn't burn too hot (for an aromatic). While this is a good overall blend, it is very reminiscent of Bufflehead's cinnamon teal. However, I find cinnamon teal superior due to its depth of flavour and consistency during smoking a bowlfull. Blue Note is good, but I will only start smoking it regularly when I run out of cinnamon teal.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

I thought I might have something different to say than the other reviewers, but I don't. My two cents would just like to add that Blue Note is readily available at most local tobacconists throughout the U.S. and not too wet - a very tolerable change of pace aromatic smoke for a lover of Balkan blends. One can certainly do much worse, as well as do better regarding choosing a sweet aromatic.

The taste: a chocolate & vanilla type of fusion. Typical though notable since it is not very wet, does not leave a bitter bite, and a natural tobacco taste is the the foreground. Most of the bowl can actually be finished with only 1 relight. All and all, I think it is the balance between strength and flavor that keeps this blend in contention. I would give it a 3 star for the lover of aromatics.

viktabak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viktabak (4)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find this blend very hard to smoke. The base tobaccos are unpleasant, with a taste I can only describe as "cheap", while the topping seems very chemical to me.

Having never really ventured into the world of drugstore blends and cheap house blends, I have no tolerance for them. Like Captain Black White, this gets dumped halfway through the bowl.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This is another vanilla cased Cavendish, however it does have a chocolate undertone with a hint of spiceness. The VA adds some natural tobacco sweetness and flavor. The room note is very pleasent. Not bad but not a bell ringer either.

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Both of my extremely knowledgeable associates above have hit the nail on the head. This is a well done aromatic that will surely attract the ladies. I even had to try it out at Maker's Piano and cigar lounge in Oklahoma City listening to a performance by a jazz pianist! While I'm a sucker for marketing, I'm not sure this made the blend any tastier, but it did get me compliments from some very attractive young ladies. Better than Captain Black and not as good as old BCA, you could do much worse when it comes to candy tobacco.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As Pipestud said, this is in no way related to the CAO/Dan Tobacco blend of the same name.

What Blue Note is, is a well-done aromatic. It burns relatively dry, and has little propensity to bite. The taste reminds me of Captain Black Royal, or Nording?s Retriever. For overall quality, I would place it between the two, but closer to Nording than to Lane. (Need I say that the Nording is the better of the two?)

A vanilla cased Cavendish with a chocolate undertone and a hint of spice. Some natural sweetness is added by the Virginia. I like it, and the room note is a crowd pleaser.

Aromatic lovers will love it. English/Latakia lovers probably haven?t read this far.

AmdisShikariBrone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmdisShikariBrone (5)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Unnoticeable

Its a blend I enjoyed but defiantly very chemically, the flavour was a bit overwhelming and it was quite damp. I dont know why but the flavour was reminiscent of skittles, not like a flavour in skittles, but if you took and summed up skittles as a whole, that would be the flavour. If that makes any sense at all. I was able to smoke the whole pack and I it was enjoyable from start to finish.