A full-bodied, golden flake from the best Virginia grades and Louisiana Perique.

This tobacco gives you a very smooth smoking pleasure with the naturally-smooth taste, which the friends of an excellent Flakes appreciate it so much.

BrandTordenskjold
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Golden brown thin flakes that beg to be rubbed out, at least somewhat. I sort of folded the flakes in half and they disintegrated to a broken flake. It performed best in this manner for me, smoking a bit cooler and slower but still with excellent flavor. Did not need much drying time - was ready to go almost from the tin.

I did not smell or taste chocolate but there was a mild casing that was still quite noticeable, both in the tin aroma and the taste. It was lightly sweet, beyond the normal capacity for virginia tobacco. The perique was barely noticeable and if I did not know this contained perique, I would have guessed it didn't. There was no fruity spiciness that I associate with that condiment. This one worked as a lightly cased straight VA, and it performed admirably. Snorking really brought out the range of flavors this blend possesses. All the tastes were sweet and they ranged from corn syrup to vanilla to brown sugar, but with that natural VA haylike quality.

This blend makes my rotation due to its simplicity and excellent taste but also because it provided me with one of those rare moments where the stars align properly and the smoking experience transcends the typical and jumps into the sublime. A lot of excellent smokes in my tin, and one perfect one. Highly recommended for fans of light VA's with a subtle casing that highlights rather than overpowers the tobacco.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

The slices are a mix of gold and brown. They are easily broken or rubbed out for packing. Moisture content is medium so the tobacco lights easily. The aroma is sweet tobacco. The flavor at the first light is pleasant and develops into a very tangy citrus like taste. It is not overly sweet and very much the taste of a natural Virginia. Perique is in the blend for character, but it is not noticeable in the flavor. In other words, it is there but I really don't taste it. I like this tobacco any time of day, but especially in the morning with a good cup of coffee. TVS is an excellent summer smoke because of its full flavor without the heaviness that English blends have when the temperature is hot. TVS is up at the front with another half dozen of my favorite Virginia blends.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this on a whim at a local B&M. Like the rest of their tins, this one has some indeterminate age on it (probably around four years).

I'm relatively new to Virginias but have begun to appreciate their multifaceted complexity. That said, this one exhibits an uncharacteristic natural sweetness I haven't encountered before (my experience being mostly limited to McC bulk VAs and Brown Clunee).

The flakes are loose and medium-dark in color. They rub out easily or smoke fairly well as-is. Tin aroma hints at the sweetness to come.

At the match, TVS releases vast plumes of smoke exhibiting a room note hinted at by the tin. It lights easily although I found it to require relights depending on the pipe it is smoked in.

TVS burns down to a fine, light gray ash. The flavor deepens as the bowl progresses all the while maintaining its pleasant demeanor. The perique provides a bit of backbone throughout the bowl but is surprisingly subdued in character. Unlike some of my esteemed fellow reviewers, I didn't find this particularly strong, and I'm prone to notice such things -- strong blends send me into orbit!

I've purchased a tin of more recent vintage. Once I pop it, I'll revisit this review if the differences warrant it. Highly recommended, indeed.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I was recently gifted this one. I hadn't heard of it prior to receiving it so had no idea what to expect from it.

The tobacco itself I found a strange shape, more like some new age leatherwork bracelet than a sample of the naughty leaf. The rubbing out, packing and lighting are easy enough. The flavour itself is of something sweet and citrus with small hints of something earthy. It's medium strength and is a slow smoker.

This is a cracking tobacco that is good for those moments when you want to sit back and take a good while over your smoke. It nicely balances the virginia with the perique. To be honest, I don't know what to compare it to as I've come across no other tobacco quite like it. That's a shame really as it seems to be unavailable here in the UK. I guess I'll have to keep a sharp eye out for it on the off chance of that changing.

Pipe Used: Bent Adsorba

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

What a lovely blend. The flakes are semi-rubbed and very easy to handle. The perique is just right for me. The casing is gently sweet and tasty. Burns cool and dry. Nicotene is at an acceptable level. What else could you ask for. The German says that this blend makes him smile and I'm smiling to. This could be the one. Who knows. I'm a little disappointed that Eulenburg, my favorite reviewer, doesn't share my enthusiasm for this gem. But c'est la vie. This is heaven in a bowl to me. Lovely subtle chocolate taste.

A vaper for the rest of us. A high quality blend in all respects. Needs a little drying out of the tin. I'd classify this as a light aromatic. Rub it out for best results. Dan good!

Update: Maybe Eurenburg was right after all. The chocolate is starting to get to me. I'm lowering my rating to 3 stars.

Low on flakes, I ordered a tin of this blend last time around. Halfway through the tin, I find I'm somewhat impressed.

Opening the tin, there is a very sweet, fruity scent I cannot place- a friend actually thought this was pure Burley going by tin aroma alone - but while there is a chocolate-ish scent in there, if there is any Burley, it's even less than the highly elusive, though advertised, Perique component, which I cannot see in the leaf at all, but which I believe I do notice in the taste.

The flakes are very short (most likely so that they will fit inside the diminutive tin without having to be folded) and a little moist at first; some drying-out may be helpful. I have thoroughly enjoyed this blend folded, twisted and dropped in my smaller briars - folded end up; it lights nicely and burns slowly, coolly, fragrantly and very, very tastily with a good, sweet taste with notes of hay with a touch of pepper (Perique, hooray! It actually is in there, somewhere!).

A beautiful smoke that makes me smile while I puff, and I cannot say that about many blends. I could use more Perique in there, but it's great as is.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Hmmmm, the tin states that there is Perique in here but I just do not smell it or taste it in the blend. Even with most blends that claim to have a “whisper” of perique you can still detect it in there but not in this one. With that aside this is a very enjoyable blend to smoke without a lot of maintenance needed.

I have had a tin of this laying around for almost a year so one night I was digging through the cellar looking for something different when I came upon it. I believe that santa may have sent this to me last year (Thank you Santa). I popped the tin and a figgy, straw-like aroma met my nose. It smelled like a great Virginia but like I stated above I could not smell any perique.

This is a flake blend with an appearance and size very similar to Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. The moisture amount was great and this broke apart very easily. I still let it sit out for about 15 minutes before loading it into the pipe.

Lighting this blend was extremely easy and once lit this blend did not need much help. The taste and aroma throughout the whole smoke was pure Virginia. It smokes down to a whitish, gray ash. While not as flavorful as Full Virginia or Best Brown this blend definitely came in 3rd for my favorite Virginia blends for right now. I have since finished the tin that was originally opened and I have a pound of bulk on the way.

In summary, this is a really, really good Virginia. It actually surprised me with how good it is versus how much a tin of this blend it. It is currently less than $7 at smokingpipes.com. I will be stocking up on this for my Virginia fixes. If you have not tried it yet then I would definitely give it a whirl however I would not recommend this as a VaPer to anyone however.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

Very enjoyable smoke.. Light virginia but with very nice nutty and restrained hay notes. I found this to be a smoke with not much at all to complain about. Lovers of stronger Gawith flakes might be slightly dissapointed.. I find it like a more restrained flake version of old gowrie with a tiny perique added.. I do think the perique contributes to the nutty flavor although I might be mistaken.. nice smooth smoking flake.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Grabbed a tin of this last week since I had been craving a VA i could rub out and Bob's Choc isn't available locally. This is a very nice, simple VA that is nothing spectacular except that it is what the label says it is. Allow me to explain....There isn't anything fancy, tricky or gimmicky going on here. This is a well behaved VAper that doesn't bite you, smells decent in a room, and satisfies like a good natural tobacco should. Not at all goopy, doesn't need a great deal of drying, and smokes very well using both the fold and stuff method as well as the rub and fluff method. When this tin is empty I may try to find more or I may try something new, but it will always be an option for me.

farmer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farmer (5)

I am on my second pipeful of Virginia slices and enjoying the second more than the first. Virginia Slices is good, but not complex. I don't detect much Perique, which is a flaw only if you expecting it. Like any flake, it must be rubbed out some to make it smokeable. I am not very particular, so I just grab a fair size pinch from the tim, roll it around between my hands a bit, and stuff the resulting ball of tobacco into my pipe. I waste several matches and tamps to get an even burn, but no big deal. Nothing to it, although purists will probably cringe. Overall, Virginia Slices is good tobacco, possibly a staple in my rotation. The aroma and flavor are not intense, but there is an underlying complexity and richness that is fetching indeed. I paid $12.50 for 50 grams in San Francisco, which seems a bit pricy for a basic tobacco, but tobacco prices are everywhere these days.

The first noticeable good thing about this tobacco is the format: nice little/medium flakes, very easy to rub and pack. I received a sample from a friend, so I can't say anything about the moisture level in the tin. This is definitely one of the easiest flakes I happened to smoke, it burns very even and regular, almost like a mixture. The smoke is easy as well, nothing really complex: the Virginias are so sweet and nutty that I imagine they have been "aided" a little, while the Perique is just in the right amount not to overwhelm the whole bunch. A fine tobacco, great to introduce you to the VA-PER blends in an easy way.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A bit moist when fresh from the tin. Rub the flakes out slightly, fill the pipe bowl and let it sit for at least 15 min. I also like to top off the bowl with some really well rubbed flake for easier lighting. This is what I would call a very light Virginia flake. It has a smooth taste that gets stronger and better as you progress down the bowl. This is especially tasty as the first smoke of the day. Works best for me in the smallest bowls I own. If you smoke this after smoking something strong i.e. Latakia, you will miss the whole point of Virginia flakes. Also, Virginia flakes need a dedicated pipe. No Aromatics, Latakia, or even tobacco with spirits should be allowed near your pipe reserved for V. flakes.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)

Notes: Another entry from the DAN tobbaco company, I tried this one in various pipes and found it best in a tall, thin briar. It seems to oddly favor a larger bowl.

Appearance: 2-inch square cut flake of moderately pressed gold, red, and dark brown tobacco, rubbing out easily into a thin ribbon. Not too moist in the tin, just right for smoking immediately.

Aroma: Hazelnuts! Malt, vanilla, honey, vinegar, sour-sweet, mildly musty, slightly smoky.

Taste: Marshmallow Jell-o Salad! Nutty, sweet, weirdly sour and musty, honey, vinegar, plums, and vanilla, darkly smoky hints.

Comparisons: Like a weird Danish-style Marlin Flake, but milder. A lot like Hamborger Veermaster, but sweeter instead of nuttier (analogous to the relationship between Marlin Flake and Hal O' The Wynd).

Bottom Line: If you enjoy Danish aromatic crossover blends, but you are looking for a Virginia flake, this one may suit you perfectly.

viktabak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viktabak (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not exactly a VA/Perique, in that the Perique is very subdued. It serves to add a little spice and body to the VA, which luckily is very tasty.

This blend can bite if you're not careful, and I imagine it would smoke even hotter without the Perique in it. The overall taste is sharp and pleasant. I get a nice sense of fullness in my stomach when I smoke this, which indicates a fair amount of nicotine.

Recommended to fans of Virginia blends, as the leaf is high quality and offers a sweet, tangy smoke. Fans of VA/Perique blends, like Haddo's or Escudo, will probably be disappointed if they approach it from that standpoint.

2ley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
2ley (11)

This is a pretty straightforward smoke. Upon opening the tin you get the smell of fermented tobacco, a somewhat sweet, almost figish smell. The sweetness rapidly dissapates when the tobacco is taken out of the tin.

It's a flake, so the question of "to rub, or not to rub" arises. I decided to rub it out, which it does very easily. I then decided to pack it into my clay pipe, in order to get a rather pure taste of the blend.

Without question, this is a Virginia blend. It lit easily, and burned evenly all the way through the smoke.

The taste was not overwhelming, in fact it seemed barely there, but then again I love the latakia/perique blends, so this was not surprising. I expected it to smoke hot, but it really wasn't doing so, although I use the "breath method" of smoking, so it's entirely possible that, given a few good puffs, you might find yourself with a bit of a bite. As it was, I could get a small sting in my mouth, but not a real solid bite like I get with aromatics.

You see, it's rather a one-note tobacco. There's supposed to be perique in this, I sure couldn't taste it. I certainly wouldn't describe the flavor as full, although there is no doubt that it puts out a fair amount of smoke. Call it medium, at best.

The aftertaste was fairly mild as well, and had none of the richness I'm used to.

So, I guess that, if you're not into nicely full-bodied blends, this is a winner. I'll probably smoke this on occasion, but it'll be on the lower end of the rotation schedule, as opposed to my latakia blends.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This sliced-cake tobacco is like Saint Bruno or S. Gawith & Co's Full Virginia Flake in weight, but less heady, certainly far less so than St Bruno.

In appeareance, it is of the "sloppy flake" -type, dark and stoved-looking; it does not have a particularly strong smell in the tin, and if it has been "topped" it has been done very restrainedly; I detect no soap-water or vinegary redolence in the unsmoked tobacco. It is certainly not cased.

Virginia Slices was proffered to me as an "equivalent" (notorious word!) to Capstan Medium [blue tin], which it only very superficially resembles. I haven't smoked Capstan in decades, but I recall a lighter, sweeter, indeed sweetened flavour. Perhaps they were thinking of the semilegendary Capstan Full, which may or may not still be available in Germany. It certainly is no longer made by Imperial Tobacco. The tobacco at hand is not sweet, but darkly smokey; not bloated or overwhelming, though. The taste is more sec and less chimerical than Full Virginia Flake, and in due course it develops a subtle burnt-almond spiciness that reminds me, amusingly, of a Sacher Torte.

In the almost endless smoke that a flake entails, I find the heavier ones rather monotonous, and this is no exception. It will not make one queasy, unlike Saint Bruno, but how long can one suck on the same thing? I much prefer Dunhill's Light Flake, a bit of a misnomer?it is stouter than the name would suggest. It is far livelier and more stimulating than this admittedly solid and well-finished composition.

Recommended to the more heavyweight flake lovers.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (21)

Not bad! I like the look of the tin more than I actually liked the tobacco. But it is a nice Virginia Flake with a pleasantly sweet top note. Not one I'd stock up on, but I will definitely finish the tin I have and enjoy doing so. One of the mildest Virginias I've ever smoked.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Horrid vanilla flavouring. Not at all a pure Virginia Flake. Very disappointed.

Blazer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blazer (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Still have'nt found what i am looking for..

The taste and the smell in the tin is all about chocolate.

I like Virginia, lots of nicotine, citrus notes and a high natural sugar content..(Can somebody tell me what to smoke?) this one is sweet, but not in a natural way, burns well, no bite.. somewhat smokeble. Good for beginners i think.

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Bought a tin of this as a hold-me-over until a mail-order came in. The tin I purchased was quite dry & I didn't humidify it at the time, which probably didn't help how it struck me. I didn't detect any perique. Probably not a bad blend for va-per lovers. Earns 2 stars.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with 2ley: "The strength was mild. I think smoking this all day would not be unfeasible. But it would be uninteresting."

I received a free ounce from my local tobacconist's bulk supply when I purchased a pipe.

I am a passionate Virginia/VaPer pipe smoker. This tobacco was a disappointment.

I think this tobacco is different from the one reviewed by Pipestud, NEWMAN, and Eulenburg back in 2002.

It is light in every way: color, moisture, weight, flavor, nicotine. It should be called Virginia Lite.

A relatively dry and fluffy flake, it burns fast with a tendency to burn hot. My best and largest pipe, a poker, will last 2 hours or more with a dense flake, such as those produced by McClelland or Kohlhase & Kopp. This pipe, packed full, barely made it an hour. So it might be a good choice when one has little time for a proper smoke.

There is a very light casing. Honey? And the Perique is likewise very light and difficult to taste at times. The thick smoke is relatively sweet, but I wonder if some of that is the casing. It will bite if puffed hard.

The Virginias are flat or one dimensional, monotonous really. A bland and boring smoke that might be appropriate to those who favor very light and mild smokes.

August 2010 Update: I have not tossed this out. And while I would not purchase this for myself, I would not refuse it as a gift. I have actually found a place for this Virginia Lite in my rotation. As an early morning smoke, when the palate is open to lighter flavors and one wants a light, fast smoke without a lot of effort, this fills the bill. It would probably be a good mild tobacco for first-time smokers. Virginia Lite is less filling, but maybe not so great on the taste.

seasonalpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seasonalpipesmoker (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Pretty unremarkable. I got an oz of this out of the jar from my local b/m. The jar note was nice and sweet, but the taste and room note were very plain, reminding me of cigarettes.

Hopefully in the future, I can get a tin of this, cellar it for a few years and maybe that would give it some more character.

Maybe part of the issue is that I keep hoping to find something like MacClelland Virginia #27 in flake form, and just don't seem to be able to find it.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I had left this tin for a year before opening, hoping that a little age would make it all the better.

I was expecting a pure rich virginia flake, I was to be dissapointed.

Had I done a blind taste test, I would have sworn this was a new McBarens offering, the "honey topping" being the giveaway.

As it was, it was not a blind taste test, but the honey note for me, was very real.

I finished the tin but I will not be buying more, if you are looking for a reasonable quality virginia with a little added sweetness, ie "honey" then this may well be for you.

Good. Just kind of generic. I didn't get any interesting overtones or undertones from it. Perique? Where? Anyway, I smoked it all and was not sorry I bought it. I would buy it again if it were on clearance.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)
Medium None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Not sure why, but this is the first tobacco I could not get along with. Tried it three times and each time I ended up with tongue bite so bad I had to stop smoking for two days. Something about this just does not work for me. I'll stick to Davidoff Flake Medallions.

My experience with this tobacco has been so different from most, I wonder if I got a bad tin. The tobacco in my tin is a lovely golden brown with some darker bits. The tin note is a slightly sweet very nice natural aroma. It smells like standing in a field of sun dappled tobacco on a warm sunny day. I have found though that my tongue can only tolerate this in a filtered Vauen pipe. When I smoke it in that pipe, it tastes like the tin note with an occassional sweet, almost flowery taste. Actually pretty good. I taste no Perique at all. In an unfiltered pipe my tongue feels like I backed over it with my SUV.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

A wonderful weed to toil the rainy days away, this blend is fantastic. I smoke mostly pure VA's such as Marlin Flake but do travel outside this realm with a daily bowl of Escudo, and an occasional bowl of Nightcap or Penzance in my Meerschaums. This blend contains Perique but I have a difficult time detecting it. I taste a nice even smoke and if it is topped or cased I cannot tell. Enjoy slowly in a medium sized bowl. iannweeks@msn.com

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon opening the tin you detect a mildly sweet topnote. It dissapates very quickly leaving a clean virginia smell. The tobacco is medium brown in color and composed of slightly broken flakes. I prefer to smoke this tobacco by gathering a few flakes, folding them lengthwise, rolling them up, and sticking them into the bowl, folded end first. This tobacco smokes much better with little or no rubbing out.

The blend is supposed to contain perique, but I detect none. The flavor is typical virginia flake, which I like, and is consistent throughout the bowl. This blend always smokes down to a fine grey ash with little or no dottle. Highly reccommended for those that like the taste of tobacco.

A nicely prepared flake of darker VAs that is more pliable than many. However, the moisture content does not result in a wet smoke. I sense the slightest hint of honeydew in the tin aroma but this disappears upon lighting and just good tobacco flavors come thru. Smokes cool and without bite with a uniform taste throughout. With a large bowled pipe and reasonable pace, it seems you could smoke forever. Even @ the end of the smoke, I don't sense the perique influence. If you're looking for a more complex tobacco, perhaps you should try others, but this is still an enjoyable tobacco for me.

This is another tobacco I ordered recently from the Dan Tobacco catalog...and I'm glad I did! This is a somewhat powerful virginia flake that will make neophytes a tad queasy and veterans a tad giddy with excitement!

If you are a fancier of rather one-dimentional, forward tasting tobaccos, then scarf a tin of old Tordenskjold slices. Now, I know the description indicates there is perique in this blend, and near the end of the bowl I may have detected a peppery taste, but would not have known it is perique. So, if like me, you are wary of blends with that fermented Louisiana goo, fear not here, it really is barely detectible, if at all.