Double fermented Black Cavendish together with toasted US Burley. A balanced top flavour, dissolved into Bourbon whiskey emphasizes the mild character of this mixture.

BrandHolger Danske
Blended ByPlanta
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringBourbon
Packaging50g Pouch, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

I recently purchased a couple of tins of this mixture from the Dan Tobacco catalog. I enjoy a little whiskey flavoring in my pipe every now and again, so, the description seemed enticing.

Unlike the Borkum Riff version, this blend was not overwhelmingly cased. I did taste the whiskey flavoring, and the burley kept the mixture from becoming unruly.

If you are an aromatic fancier, and would like to graduate from the drug store blends, grab a tin of Holger's Black & Bourbon!

Holger Danske Black and Bourbon . The unlit mix is really appealing (for me) in many ways , it is predominantly Black Cavendish with about a quarter of it Burley/Virginia . The smell coming from it is a treasure in itself , a really sweet one with a noticeable addition of Bourbon . As this is a loose mix to buy the responsibility of moisture goes to the supplier , mine is great ! I must admit that I felt a touch portentous with this one as I don't really care much for Whiskey in my blends but I decided to try it and it blew me away ! It lights with superlative ease and then delivers a very steady burn which leaves behind a White ash and gives off (in my view) an amazing flavoured Smoke . I have to say that it doesn't taste as I expected . I was expecting it to be a massive Whiskey taste and that expectation was enlarged upon smelling the blend unlit but how incorrect and presumptuous I was ! I can identify the Bourbon in it only it is more "mellow" than anticipated leaving room for the Sweetness from the Black Cav to be discerned with ease . If you inhale your Smoke then this will suit you well as it can be breathed in very simply and the Nicotine amount is spot on , about their American Delight strength . The room note given off is more of a standard Cavendish one but pleasing nonetheless . I must say I find this a little perplexing as up until now I thought Whiskey tobaccos and me didn't mix but with its delicate/serene flavour I will make an exemption for Holger Danske's offering !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)

My first blend.

ignotus93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ignotus93 (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Very easy to smoke, fast burning tabacco and never hot. Really light taste, excellent for beginner smokers. But boaring taste after a couple of days.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (36)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Tried out during the summertime, was a pleasant companion during the trip down to Greece. Everybody loved it, even no - smokers. When I opened it, the casting was somewhat astonishing but pleasant. I tried out only outside, but the “room note” was pleasant, even for no-smokers. It kept the humidity level for all the time, even if I “treated” him very bad.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

With this tobacco I found a new favorite. It's a great aromatic, extremely mild but with a great taste and room note. The price is not excessive, making it an excellent deal.

In the pouch, you will find a very dark tobacco with an extremely pleasant and natural smell of bourbon. When lit, it has an adorably noisy burn with rather thin smoke and no bite. As said, it is extremely mild and low in nicotine, and it would be almost like smoking hot air, if it weren't for the great taste and room note.

I recommend this tobacco to those who enjoy the aromatic aspect of smoking the pipe, rather than the nicotine buzz. Everyone around will also love it.

Vaidis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vaidis (2)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Very easy to smoke and to clean pipe, fast burning tabacco and never hot. Taste is steady and light. However not enjoyable. This tabacco bored after couple days.

cedeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cedeks (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Exactly what one expect from a Holger Danske tobacco: - decent mild smoke - no tongue bite - fast burning tobacco - tobacco smell and room note present the flavour - not the best quality of tobacco in market but good enough - very low price: around $ 3 for 50gm. Pouch - the last part of bowl should be discarded (fine with me) - low in vitamin N Over all I think it is a good tobacco for its price and can fit in any one's rotation if in favour of American aromatic tobacco.

mr Afo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr Afo (5)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

My Favourite! I bought it in 2005? and it has been little used until now. I have re-moistened it a few times. Lovely smell. Mild ,mild and nice. No tounge bite, never smokes hot (well it is possible of course), but it´s just so nice. I don´t know about the flavourings, bourbon? never mind what it says on the backside of the pouch, it´s what I would prefer to smoke most of the times. The room note is very aromatic and less cigarette-ish than most others. My wife prefers it more than others I have. The lady who recommended this to me knew what she was talking about. Need to order more since I´m almost out, and there are no well assorted tobacco dealers around me.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Great taste & smell. Reminded me of the tobacco my uncle smoked in the 60s.

EC_ILO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EC_ILO (1)

This is an excellent everyday aro. Sweet, with a very discreet bourbon casing, without any tongue-bite, easy to pack and to light, smokes also without any difficulty. If tou are into aromatics, you should give this tobacco a try, otherwise... this review is not for you.

MisterSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterSmith (8)

A very pleasant, mild mid-afternoon smoke, accompanied, perhaps, by cup of fine strong coffee. Sweet taste and wonderful aroma. My first Whiskey flavoured blend...I will certainly try others.

BowHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BowHunter (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Too much flavoring, while taste is not full at all. Mild in strenght and dry too fast in the tin. After two weeks...it's just dry tobacco with a smell of old dried cake. Good only if you like aromatics and only if smoked fresh!

Update 1st february 2011: I gave this tobacco another chance. And smoked really slow, paying a bit of attention to the packing, it's really good! Fresh smoke filling mouth and room around the lucky smoker, while the nose can still smell the beautiful aroma and room note. My previous review was due to a misunderstanding between me and this tobacco. I smoked it too fast and may be in a "english" way. And...still going against what I said...better to let it dry 15' before smoking, improves. And...you can also taste a good virginia inside! Reccommended!

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

A quite mild aromatic. Its mildness is double edged in that it both makes a rather cool, all-day smoke but also a rather impersonal mixture with nothing special to crave for.

Not annoyingly sweet, the tobacco itself hasnt got a very pronounced character and the casing alludes to a pleasant creamy roundness. Could be combined with a harsher-tangy virginia to provide with softness and a slight aroma.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tasty, not too strong, full of character and my current favourite pipe tobacco. I'm a bit bemused that this is not more highly recommended, as if you enjoy a nice, easy aromatic experience with a pleasing room note, then this is excellent stuff. In fact, I am just off to open a new pouch... and I don't have to go outside...

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco on a trip to Lanzarote, one of the Canarian Islands. The problem with this tobacco is...where is the tobacco-taste? Like menthol-ciggarettes, only in the case of this, the menthol is replaced with Jack Daniels or some other American Bourbon, but I suspect the flavoring to be chemical. This tobacco is not biting at all, it is very gentle to all parts of the mouth, but all these parts probably will notice the smoke coming in but will be wondering when the taste of tobacco finally is coming!

pipesmoker1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker1979 (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually like the whiskey/bourbon type of tobacco, but i found this a little on the bland side for my liking.

Cirdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cirdan (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The cavendish hints under a somewhat heavy casing. Though better than most, it is still chemical rich and tongue-bite prone. Still not a bad choice for near-non-smoking parties - when left open for a few days it gets better.

Magnum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnum (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Tabacco aromatizzato e piacevole. Taglio grosso, brucia lentamente con un aroma pieno e gustoso. A volte leggermente umido per cui è meglio farlo asciugare un poco. Tagliato al 50% con Trinciato Italia diventa portentoso. Prezzo abbastanza basso(specie in Italia). Consigliatissimo

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (86)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A pleasant tobacco but with a bizarre behavior: all we know that every tobacco needs the right pipe to pull out the best, but in this case (IMHO) the differences between pipe to pipe are exaggerated. Generally talking, for B&B seems better a medium-large bowl. It also seems to suffer much of climate: dry climate emphasizes the aromas, the humid climate flattens them, at least that was my experience ..... It is normal that the weather might affect the pleasantness of smoke, but from a flavoured Black Cavendish I expected better consistency.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A new, flower-like Japanese acquaintance has recently introduced me to Jim Bean Bourbon, which I like to smoke, er, drink along with some medium+ Virginia flake, say Rattray's Marlin flake. If you do it often enough, some of the bourbon breath might actually rub off on your pipe, if you always use the same one. The combination of Bourbon & Virginia is indeed made in heaven.

Enjoy it that way, and forget this artificially-wrought cased cav.