A mildly aromatic pipe blend of rich mellow imported and domestic tobaccos.

Notes: Created in 1946, the blending was done under the personal supervision of Edward G. Robinson himself.

Sutliff's description: A mild aromatic with a light Burley nuttiness and flavored Black Cavendish taste. Fruity plum notes are given a slight flavor push from a hint of Latakia, and a very pleasing top note of liquor.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Packaging1.5oz tin, 12oz tub

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
2.3

I'm surprised at the reviewers who say this blend bites their tongues. It doesn't do that to me or the friends I shared a sample with from a newly opened tub. If you're a fast puffer, I guess darn near anything will cause tongue bite. But EGR doesn't if you go at a normal pace (same goes for most tobaccos). As for it having a flat taste, well, nobody I know who has actually smoked it thinks that. Either it was smoked bone dry, or the smoke never entered the mouth of the reviewer. And not liking it, as a later reviewer (7-22-2013) doesn't because he prefers English blends, is an unfair comparison of genres, and one of the reasons some people don't take reviews seriously.

I greatly enjoy the strong aroma of the freshly open tub, which was the red wine casing. The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is mildly sweet, but not cloyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The black cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would have a more smokey quality that latakia provides, and it doesn't. I get some burley notes along with the gold cavendish. I also got a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way as well as a light honey note. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.

It is indeed a mild aro with a very pleasing taste. It's not a great, all-time classic tobacco, but it certainly doesn't deserve the one star ratings some "reviewers" have given it. It might be a little of an acquired taste to some, but I have come to enjoy it quite a bit, and find it quite addictive. For me, it was enjoyment at first puff. When I'm not smoking it, I occasionally am thinking I need a smoke a bowl. Why it's virtually unknown today is puzzling as it is still in production. But Robinson himself is largely forgotten today, so why not his tobacco, too, in this day of "only NOW counts?" One online retailer told me that he wasn't going to carry it because of the negative reviews here. I suppose I can't blame him, though I gave him my opinion, and suggested he give it a try. Okay, it's not a nirvana smoke - what is, really? - but it's on par with several other OTCs, and even better than many of them, depending on your palate. I'm going to keep this around because I like it.

9-1-2013 Edit: That retailer I mentioned changed his mind soon after I posted this review and is one of several who now carry EGR. Sutliff is soon to release this blend in 1.5 oz. tins, and I was privileged to get an early sample at the same time I was gifted a two ounce sample of 1960s EGR. I was happy to discover the taste of the new blend is a virtual dead ringer for the old, except the newer was slightly sweeter with a honey note the old didn't have, though the aging process may have caused it to disappear.

fishnbanjo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fishnbanjo (1)

I was given a sample of this blend to try to see what I thought of it. I pretty much smoked only aromatics for a long time only the past 6 months have I branched out considerably in my tobacco's focusing on VA's and VA/Per's with some mild Latakia blends thrown in but still gravitate to an aromatic once or twice a day.

I took a good whiff and was surprised about some of the comments on grape juice and such as all I got was a light toasty note reminiscent of walnut or nut of some type.

The tobacco packed easily and lit nicely and stayed lit throughout the smoke needing one pass with a pipe cleaner which is very good for an aromatic as some can literally take more of your smoking time using the pipe cleaner than actual smoking.

I had the feeling of warm honey on the palate turning to a bit of the nuttiness I smelled upon opening the sample, the nasal note was more nutty and tobacco to me.

This is a nice, refreshing, easy to smoke tobacco that anyone who smokes aromatics would really like, it is old school in that it reminds you of the old way pipe tobacco smelled and smoked but well worth having in your tobacco rotation.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

EGR screams old school all the way . I give credit to Sutliff , they do a fantastic job with their Match Blends . I really think their CD blend , R blend and Mans Best Friend are true to their past Matches ! EGR is on the same page with their match blends ... spot on to the Old School Flavors . So many people talk about the blend of old etc .... and how much they miss them . Do yourself a favor ... give the Frog a rest and try this stuff and get a snapshot of the type of blends that Grandpop may have smoked . When I first put my nose to it I thought it would be different and maybe a little odd .. it's not . This type blend is what Aromatics were like before Black Cavendish exploded on the market . This is not an overly wet Aromatic like some of the modern Aromatics can be . You taste the Aromatic flavor [ whatever it is ] yet still taste the blend . This is good stuff and I've enjoyed it thus far .

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a strange tobacco. I suppose I can see why so bizarre an accusation as its being flavored with grape juice could arise, given that it is a blend so off the beaten path and, generally rather obscure. Even the plastic container it comes in is strange.

It is a burley and Virginia blend, though it doesn't taste like any example of such that I have ever before encountered. There is a fruity, piquant sauce moderately applied that makes it taste much like many Asian candies I have come across. There is also a bit of Latakia, though I have no idea why. I could barely smell it before lighting and could almost never taste it. There was one evening of smoking for me with my rusticated Kaywoodie Gold Series billiard and a small private label English billiard where the Latakia, for once, finally came through and that was quite nice. Rather like a good Scottish style blend. That was the only time, however.

Edward G. Robinson's is also a fairly cool smoking tobacco and leaves no lingering flavor in the pipe, which is nice, I suppose. For once, I am almost at a loss as to what can be said for this particular smoking stuff. I went through an entire twelve ounce can of it rather quickly and I cannot say that it is at all bad. It's just?well, strange.

Regards, A. Morley Jaques

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

I can hear the developer of this blend thoughts now... Crap we got the cheap stale burly what to do with it? I know, I will case it in some bourbon (cheep bourbon), make sure it is too wet to smoke, and put an actors name on it and people will by it by the, well hundreds.

Okay maybe that was a bit harsh, but this is not good tobacco. The blend is all burly no black Cavendish and is irregularity cut. Making packing a difficult task. The tobacco is too wet to light, and when combustion has been archived it ignites your tongue also. The taste is very similar to Velvet but seems to be of even poorer quality.

Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Edward G. Robinson is another blend that is getting a lot of publicity as a re-released golden oldie. The Altidis Company recently shipped (11/03) a batch of 2 oz packages to my pipe club for sampling.

The description above indicates the blend contains black cavendish. Well, I never tried EGR in the past and it may well have contained black cavendish at one time, but there is nothing but golden leaf in the mixture now.

EGR is cased Burley. The casing is discreet and different. My wife says the "room note" was wonderful. The flavor rotated from good to bad to good as I worked my way down the bowl. At certain times, I enjoyed the unusual flavor sensation, but at other times the harshness tickled the back of my throat as sometimes happens with mid-grade Burley. It did have a nice nicotine kick though.

Unlike the above reviewer, this blend never bit me and burned quickly to a fine gray ash with no sign of aromatic wet goo at the bottom of the bowl.

I'll finish my complimentary 2 oz packet -- but not immediately. Those who enjoy Prince Albert and such will no doubt consider EGR to be a delightful weed.

PS: I forgot to add in my original review that one should dry this tobacco for at least 12 hours before smoking. The leaf in a fresh pouch is quite moist.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

First off, let me say, I was really pulling for this one. I like the idea of companies continuing older blends, and I fully intend on checking out some others in the future, but, honestly, did Edward G. Robinson ever smoke his own brand? If he did, and allowed his face to be plastered all over the tub, my respect for him just went down several notches. This stuff is awful—and, it most definitely bites. I smoked it every which way, fast, slow, medium, no matter what I did, it nipped me. Now, I will admit that this stuff does have a unique taste, but the bite ruins it for me. So, if you like smoking church incense (and who knows what else, this is an additive stew), and don't give a damn about holding onto your tongue, I'd say avoid this one like the plague!

Oh, and, by the way, I'd like to thank (or not) 4noggins for allowing us pipe smokers to buy this rot without having to purchase an entire tub. It's a good idea to make OTC's available in bulk. I wouldn't have tried this blend otherwise.

Cheers!

::::Update:::: I've noticed since the tin version of this stuff has come out 4noggins has quit selling it in bulk. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Pipe Used: Another Kaywoodie Ruf Tone

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

WVDAVE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WVDAVE (1)

Well, I got my sample today. Filled my Medico Ebony apple. The tobacco packed easy, lit easy and I was off to the races. I was really impressed with this tobacco. Not complex, easy, no fuss, no muss and burned to a fine grey ash. I get no tongue bite at all and I could taste the tobacco. Does anyone else taste clove in this?

Thuber88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thuber88 (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked 5 bowls of this tobacco in a day and a half, and it's very tasty. It has a very pleasant aroma when you first smell it: maybe a plum, or a very light fruit aroma, not heavy at all. But unmistakably there. It's cool smoking with no bite.

On smoking it, that flavor and many others come through: some alcohol hints that I can't put my finger on, and the fruit is there in the background like the lightest summer breeze that you barely notice on your skin. Quite enjoyable, complex enough to keep you guessing, yet simple enough to just smoke and enjoy without over analyzing it. It's definitely a keeper, not some goopy, heavy aromatic, but a melange of flavors that makes you want to come back for more. It could easily be a singular smoking experience for the whole day, or your only smoking experience if you like it. I think this blend deserves a wider audience. It's a very nice smoke that a lot of people will enjoy and come back to, if they give it a chance. I wanted more before I finished the last bowl.

Thumbs up from me.

HunterTRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HunterTRW (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now look you mugs, this is a good blend, see? Yeah...it's good, a mild smoke, see? (Sorry about that...I must have been channeling).

I do like this blend! To my nose it is reminiscent of good coffee with cream, spiked ever so lightly with burbon. How anyone could inhale its aroma and think "grape juice" is quite beyond me.

The cut of this blend is just a wee bit shorter than that found in most Cavendishes, and it packs well. Savored slowly, it does not bite (at least I've never experienced this problem with it). Like most cased blends it benefits from some drying prior to smoking. I do not find that the casing (whatever it may be) coats my tongue. The tobacco burns cleanly to a light gray ash, and leaves little dottle.

Mr. Robinson may have had a tough-guy image on the big screen, but his namesake tobacco is one pleasant pussycat. Highly recommended!

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend has been incorrectly described above. There is no cavendish or black cavendish in this tobacco. According to Paul Creasy at the Sutliff Tobacco company, this blend consists of burley, Virginia, and a minute amount of latakia (those are the tiny black flakes). And no grape juice. Robinson himself had a hand in the blending, working along with Gordon Sutliff.

Edward G. Robinson is not an imported, expensive boutique blend; tobacco snobs will be disappointed. That said, it has a very pleasing aroma when lit or unlit, and it is consistent down the bowl, never turning bitter. I've never, even after repeated bowls, had it bite me. It creates a room note that everyone around me finds enjoyable, and as a burley lover, it hits the spot for me everytime. There is a slightly sweet element along with the natural tobacco taste, with the quiet smokiness of the latakia emerging now and then. It's delicious.

This is straightforward, nostalgic stuff, from an era when a celebrity's face on a tin of tobacco was not uncommon. Its most famous fan is Shelby Foote, the great Southern novelist and Civil War historian, who smokes bowl after bowl of this tobacco throughout the day. Jon A. Jackson, the well-known mystery novelist, also claims Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend as his personal favorite. Give it a try--for a pleasant, uncomplicated, satisfying smoke, you could do a lot worse than this.

thesillyoldbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesillyoldbear (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

When I first read the ingredients of this blend (Burley, Black Cavendish and Latakia) I was expecting an American take on the Scottish Blend, but what I found when I opened the tin was nearly all Burley with some Black Cavendish through it and nearly no Latakia. The tin note is very sweet with definite tones of plum or red wine but without being sickly or overpowering.

As expected with a predominately Burley blend this burns well. It does have a topping but it’s very light so once the burn is established it almost never needs a relight and doesn’t suffer from the goopiness that so many aromatics tend to.

Upon lighting the top notes are of plum but they very quickly give way to honey and nuttiness (honey roasted cashews?) that perseveres for the rest of the bowl, with maybe a very slight creaminess from the Latakia, depending how much you actually got into the bowl.

Overall this has become one of my favoured smokes. It doesn’t deliver too much on the nicotine front, but sometimes you just want a nice sweet Burley blend that you can smoke while remaining on two feet.

Pipe Used: MM Rob Roy Legend

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I remembered this blend from long ago. At the time I used it as a short smoke in a small bowl between classes. Using it as such, left little to the memory other than a peculiar anise aroma. I recently found some and sat down to give it full chance in a large Lord Pearl pot (sold at the long missed Garfinkle's Dep't Store in D.C.). The pouch aroma should be avoided as it steers one in the opposite direction one should be heading. The first light gives another false turn as it comes over the tongue with a promise of coarse and biting heat. However as the bowl progresses, a totally different and unusual taste and aroma take over. The burley predominates, but with a warmth and nuttiness rarely experienced. A taste of Virginia(?) compliments the burly with the wonderful sweetness that usually comes after the prolonged aging of this tobacco. A thoroughly and unexpectedly fine smoke. Highly recommended for beginning as well as experienced palates.

History Nut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
History Nut (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I became curious about this tobacco after reading an article about its name sake in a back issue of a pipe magazine. The article stated that it is the same blend as the original and therefore a sort of time capsule. This tobacco is good for what it is; an unpretentious straight forward "drug store" tobacco. It has some real tobacco taste with just a slight nuance of flavoring, which came off as anise to me. The bowl goes quickly with this tobacco, yet I did not experience any tongue bite. Overall, this tobacco provided me with a very pleasant experience. There is nothing complicated about it, yet it provides a consistent and enjoyable smoke. The historical aspect also lends to the tobacco. The article I read stated that this blend is based off of Robinson's favorite Dunhill blend and was a best seller throughout the late 40s and 50s. Although this blend is no Dunhill, it is a great way to experience what pipesters of the past enjoyed.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)

OUCH!!! My tongue will never be the same! Even veteran pipe smokers will get scorched. The taste isn't that bad but what good is it if your tongue's being shredded?

Brother Liberty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Liberty (4)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Wow, I have never had a tobacco scorch my tongue like EGR! It had a pleasant taste, which quickly disappeared along with the top lining of my tongue. It was akin to sucking on a hot light bulb. No matter how slow I tried to smoke the stuff, I experienced the same result.

Now when I think of smoking EGR, I shake and quiver uncontrollably!

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

EGR is road kill tobacco. Bites like an Aligator,and smells like the outhouse caught on fire. It is flavoured with...get this...Grape juice! But...I know a very famous Civil War writer in Memphis,Tennessee who smokes it daily.

Ok, I was wrong about the grape juice. That's what I get for hearsay. :)

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tin was gifted to me about a year ago. As my experience with Sutliff blends is overall less than gratifying, I stuffed this one into my cellar until I could get up the courage to try it. I smoked about half the tin. I should note that I only smoked the original that this matches once a very long time ago (extremely horrible experience, that), which is probably a good thing, since Sutliff match blends tend to be far off the mark as a rule. To be fair, so are everyone else's match blends, and Sutliff did nail ERR'd, which is more than I can say for most people's attempts at matches. Anyway, this is a nice looking ribbon, mostly darker brown with specks of black. Tin nose of burley and booze - really pleasant, but different. Lights and loads easily, but seems to smoke rapidly. I loaded this tighter than I usually do for best burn rate. I did get a mild tongue sizzle from this blend, but only at the very beginning. 10 or so puffs in and it disappeared, leaving no damage in its wake.

The flavor leaned heavily toward the alcohol topping, which struck me at different times as sort of a red wine moving to cognac to something akin to blackberry brandy. The burley was well underneath but it provided a steady base for the topping. Can't say I really tasted latakia but I did catch a snootful now and then, and this seemed to have a presence that I don't usually get from just burley. But it was very subtle. I wished for a little more burley flavor, but I got the impression that it wasn't the blend's fault. I think that my taste buds elevate certain flavors to the point that they cover up what's underneath. My recent sample of a cigar leaf blend is an example - everyone else thought the cigar leaf was subtle where I thought it was too prominent. So what may be a light topping here seemed heavier to me.

No real harm - this blend provided much more than I thought it would. I'd give it 2.5 stars if this site allowed, but it's not up with the 3's in my book. It's more than just decent, and I find it interesting enough that I'm saving the last half-tin. It may take me 5 years to finish it but this one strikes me as the type that might be really nice as a very occasional blend (have to admit, 2 consecutive bowls were problematic, as most flavored blends tend to be for me). This might make for a cool blender as well. And not only did it come on the drier side in the tin, it left no goop in my pipe. My fears surrounding this one were unfounded. I don't know how it stacks up as a match blend, but it's quite nice on its own. Not destined for greatness, but good enough for an occasional bowl. Worth a try to anyone who enjoys flavored blends but hates the overly sauced ones.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Capt. Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Mike (1)

I bought this tobacco on a review and when I opened it I was very surprised, love the aroma, but my first bowl in a meer was hot, and my second in a GBD poker was also hot with some bite. With some advise I chose a nice Lorenzo 7189, it has nice thick wall around the bowl and I sipped it slowly.

This brought out the fruitiness and balance I was looking for and I really enjoyed it for the first time. I think this tobacco needs to be slow smoked to truly enjoy it. I agree with other posts about the bite but that was my fault. Keep it slow and you will enjoy this tobacco.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)
Medium to Strong Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried to like this, I really did. I wanted to like it. I have nothing against a rough, manly smoke...but the more I smoked this, and it hasn't been often, the less I was able to talk myself into giving it a break. It's good, I suppose, to have stashed away in case of extreme emergencies - but honestly, if you're paying good money for tobacco, you can do better. Yes, it smells good in the package and while burning - but, yes, it does burn your tongue, and yes,it does taste terrible. I'm sorry. I love the packaging, I love the history and that Sutliff tried to bring it back...but, man oh man it's really low rent on the mouth. Listen - buy the Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. You want a great tobacco, try that out. For the same amount of money you will have your socks knocked off. I love the packaging and the idea on this one, but the tobacco itself is dog puke...and dog puke that burns, at that.

Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is such a mild old time smoke, reminds me very much of Kentucky Club for those who may remember that one. Yes, it can be a tongue biter for those who puff furiously. According to Hacker's book it has been around since just after WWII. Another one of those mild early morning smokes that goes well with your coffee.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

NO taste the tongue bite alone will turn you off to this blend felt sorry for the person I gave it to

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Taste: not too bad, not as bad as most wet aromatics. Room note: not great, not bad. Ease of pack and burn: good. Of course, this is based on a total of 3 minutes in my pipe before my tongue burst into flames. Tongue bite from down below. Too bad, could have been a not-so-bad aromatic.

gillywalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gillywalker (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I've wanted to try the Memphis Tobacco Bowl's Shilo for a long time but they've told me they can't ship it to me and being a big Shelby Foote fan I figured this would get me closest to what the famed historian used to smoke. I ordered it from Iwan Riess and after tax and shipping it was close to 50 dollars for the tub.

Now I'm a relatively new pipe smoker but I had trouble detecting any taste from this blend. I had trouble detecting any aroma from this blend as well. There was a strong grapelike aroma from the tub but nothing overly powerful once lit. I got a tongue bite from this blend and I will not be buying anymore of it.

I was actually very surprised by this blend. It was actually quite tasty for what it is. Nothing fancy but quite pleasant. A winner for the Field and Stream crowd. 3 solid stars.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I think this is one of the worst baccy's ive stuffed in my pipe.I got the big tub as a birthday gift and dont know what to do with the rest of it.I keep trying to blend it with other baccys and nothing has took yet.It seems to foul everything i mix it with. It burned very hot and had an awful acidic taste to it that stuck with my pipe.I will never buy this tobacco. Note:maybe if i put it at the back of the cabinet and come back to it in a year, things may taste different? Awful!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Random pieces of mostly lighter color. Aroma is sweet but indeterminate. Smells like it can bite a bit. Lighting it proves me wrong, IT BITES LIKE A PISSED-OFF PIT BULL. Definiely not recommended.

JTH74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JTH74 (4)

I think the can I got of this was old. It had no casing smell when I opened it. It smelled burley, and not much else. Lighting it was easy. It caught immediately. It tasted very nutty. It reminded me of eating roasted pecans and walnuts, not unpleasant but not one I'd keep in my usual rotation. I may try another can some day, just to see if I can get the flavors and aromas others have talked about in the earlier reviews.

Pipe Used: Straight poker

Age When Smoked: Straight from freshly opened can

Gavno The Ugly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gavno The Ugly (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I've been smoking a pipe off and on for the better part of 40 years now; I started when a lot of us did, back in college... in our youthful and somewhat misguided quest to present an image that would help attract the opposite sex, and at the same time maybe even impress a few of the professors...

The Pipe Holster was a mandatory part of the college costume in the '60s... at my school, it went along with the Bamboo Six Shooter holster (the huge slide rule that Freshman engineering students ALL had dangling from their belts)!

At that time I picked up on the tobaccos that the drugstore had. Knowing absolutely NOTHING about tobbacco, I turned to my experience as an 18 year old Ancient Movie Freek... I spotted tough guy actor Edward G. Robinson's portrait on one of the 2 ounce or so packets... and in confused desperation I grabbed one to go with my shiny new Dr. Grabow's.

Hey... Little Rico Bandini was a GREAT gangster... he should know something about pipe tobacco too, right???

I didn't know it at that moment, but I'djust set up a sure recipe for disaster.

Well... when first encountering a pipe that hasn't been broken in yet, a novice / newbie pipe smoker couldn't have made a selection that was much worse.

EGR Blend on that naked briar, stoked by a frantically puffing Newbie, really BITES like a P.O.ed member of the police department's newly formed Canine Patrol!!!

The reason for the frantic puffing was to try to keep the damned thing LIT... nobody had ever showed me how a pipe is properly packed. I was using up Ohio Blue Tips at a rate of about one every 2 minutes.

That wasn't helped a whole lot by the copious amounts of "soup" that seemed to be forming in the bottom of the bowl... and I must admit that it was really YUMMY when it came pouring down the stem, courtesy of that neat little aluminum condenser which I hadn't yet ditched!

Half the time my new pipe was making noises like it was about to spout a cloud of soap bubbles!

In any case... about halfway thru the first semester I'd learned, by trial and error, just how a pipe should be operated and cared for. I learned it the HARD way; for a couple of months my tongue was on fire. It felt like it belonged inside of a combat boot on a 20 mile forced march during Basic Training.

It's a wonder that I kept at it... but such is the stupidity and tenacity of youth. I just didn't know any better.

But... I eventually reached the point where I began to actually ENJOY pipe smoking, even with EGR Blend.

In any case... based on my experience so long ago, I obviously can't recommend EGR to a beginner. It's WAY too much tobacco in terms of strength.

IMHO, the EGR Blend is mildly aromatic... something that I still like... but that's overpowered by the strength of the blend. You sure get your money's worth in raw nicotine with EGR.

Over the years I've flirted with the other drug store tobaccos... Borkum Riff, the infamous Cherry Blend (IMHO, Cherry Blend is only suitable for smoking by a novice Chicago pimp who's trying to make an impression), and a few others... but somehow I always wound up coming back to Good Old Eddie.

Only now, decades later, am I exploring what else there is out there in the world of tobaccos, and that was triggered by a matter of economics.

The little pocket packs of EGR are getting harder and harder to come by around here, and the last time I bought a tub it was almost $40.00... and moving up!

I'll probably always have some EGR around; I've come to appreciate it's honest, no nonsense tobacco taste... but I just got some assorted samples of Boswell's stuff. Besides the cost, the Old Lady is beginning to hint her displeasure with the room note of Eddie.

Funny... when we were just going together, she said she LIKED it! Funny what a difference 35 years makes...

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)

My one experience with this blend was twenty years ago. I bought it because of the actor. He was a fine actor and a fellow pipe enthusiast - so why not. The pouch aroma was decent enough. There were light brown and black strands in it at the time. Back then there may have been some cavendish in it as well. Sorry to say, the pouch I bought bit as well. As I remember it my pouch was somewhat dry. Things have changed in twenty years - look at Dunhill. If you want to try it go ahead. I would try this again before buying certain other drug store tobaccos.