Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish is a premium quality, heavily aromatic mix of dark Kentucky and Burley tobacco, enhanced with the soft delicious taste of cherry and just a touch of vanilla. The blend is heavily fermented to give a warm, luxurious smoke with a light sweet aroma.

Notes: Originally from Swedish Match, Sweden, is now branded by Skandinavian Tobacco Group, at Denmark.

BrandBorkum Riff

2.0
Watcha Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watcha (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Quite why BRCC receives such poor reviews is beyond me. I find this one of my most favourite blends - purchased in 50 gram packets... my stock is currently 16 packets (price has just increased to £11.70 ea). When I'm out smoking this tobacco people have come up to me to say what a wonderful smell it has. It looks light and is finely chopped and relatively dry from the packet - lights easily and will burn down fast if not tampered down. Nose in the packet and it smells divine - I'm smoking it now in an Oom Paul. Not a great nicotine hit, although pleasant when inhaled - which I do frequently. Sadly, for me, other Borkum products are not so nice.

Pipe Used: 68 Pipe Collection

Purchased From: Smoke-King http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/

Similar Blends: I've tried various alternatives to this blend (Century Black Cherry Pipe,, Mclintock Black Cherry Pipe, Morello Cherry Pipe Tobacco, Samuel Gawith Black Cherry) - but none come close to the strength of flavour and room note..

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Strong

After looking at the many negative reviews of this blend i was very surprised how much i enjoyed it the taste is rather nice as is the room note and soon smoked the entire pouch in no time it can bite a bit if your a puffer but i never found it a problem a nice cherry blend when compared to the many other blends give it try.

Pipelover12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover12 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Incredible, absolutely incredible Such a delicious smoke for for such an affordable price When I first open the pack I was like: "Wow, such a lovely smell, hope the taste can somewhat compliment it" and after the first bow, it did the job perfectly. The smell of cherry is definitely there, I almost mistaken it for an aromatic type (which I occasionally don't like since those type of tobacco lacks the nicotine). This is absolutely the best of both worlds, it packs a great amount of tobacco (not to much, not to little), and a wonderful fragrance. It's something that you can take anywhere with on any occasion. Strong fragrance, mild amount of nicotine, this is absolutely a must try tobacco

Pipe Used: Lubinsky 652 and Zero 1174

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Local tobacco shop

Similar Blends: Macbarren cherry choice, though it's nowhere near as good as bork's cherry cavendish.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (42)

This is one of two tobaccos that my grandfather smoked. The other was Prince Albert. To be honest he doesn't have a terrific palate but this is a more than acceptable blend. The smell out of the package alternates between cherry liqueur and cherry ice cream. The taste is pretty much straight, pleasant, mild and inexpensive Virginia with a little sweet and cherry floating around in it. The room note is what makes this more appealing than some cherry tobaccos I have tried. This smells like warm cherry cobbler in the room and makes everyone who had a relative that smoked anything cherry in the past smile. You can smell the tobacco through that cherry, but it is a pleasant tobacco smell and not obtrusive. Doesn't smoke hot or bite in a filtered cob, but might if smoked fast through an unfiltered pipe. If I wanted a cherry pipe tobacco again I would happily go for this or Middleton's Cherry Blend, but I like Middleton's a little better.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum General

LRudshaug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LRudshaug (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Read a lot of negative reviews before trying this one; was positively surprised.

- Not as heavy cased as many people claim. - Does not bite your tounge or burn hot (IF smoked correctly.) - A sweet hint of cherry on your tounge as you exnhale, good! - Delicious room note.

I suspect many of the bad rewiews here to be written by people who does not enjoy aromatics. If you prefer english blends, latakia, or pure virginias, OF COURSE this tobacco will come through as too sweet, too hot burning etc. In addition, many pipe smokers smoke preimium, expensive tobaccoes (myself included). This is a much cheaper, "over the counter" tobacco, and must therefore be reviewed as that.

To sum it up: It is a good, pleasant aromatic, cherry flavoured tobacco. Not my favourite aromatic, but definitively enjoyable. Good for beginners because of the low price ( about half the prize of premium tobaccoes)

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In the pouch, this stringy, fine to medium-cut mixture has a credible topping of vanilla and cherry along with sweetly herbal scents of burley.

Blended of cavendished burley and virginia, with a greater emphasis on the burleys than many other Borkum Riff blends, there is also a greater proportion of dark leaf. Identified as dark kentucky, although I initially assumed that it was black cav. Regardless, any boldness from dark kentucky is subsumed to the overall aromatic sweetly cavendished quality. The vanilla-cherry flavoring is reminiscent of CAO Cherrybomb, though the complement of brisker tobaccos in Cherry Cavendish lightens the taste into a more dynamic range.

Typical of Borkum Riff's line in both character and quality, Cherry Cavendish is a winner for the sweet leaf fan. This will ghost a briar and seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is about the best cherry blend you will find available in the supermarket, drugstore and most cigar shops around here. It is NOT the same as Cherry Liquor. It is fairly dry in the pouch and actually tastes like tobacco. Has a very subdued cherry flavor (actual cherry flavor!) and finishes dry with no dottle. One reviwer said it was over 11 pounds a pouch!?!. I paid $6.00 and thought that was a little steep. What we take for granted...

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

This "tobacco" might be very tasty with a dollop of whipped cream or some Breyers vanilla. As for smoking it, I found this to be the most over the top aromatic I have ever tried. If you like cherry cordial flavor, this is it.

Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

This blend is totally and absolutely not fit for consumption.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I was not even going to try this blend until I saw a YouTube review by Phillip Brodginski who generally makes fair comparisons & descriptions to brands I am familiar with. There are three things cherry blends are attempting to accomplish - cherry pouch/tin note, room note, & great taste. Whatever casings or additives they use can't seem to get all three, but this blends hits does more than the other cherry blends I have tried, maybe because it is more Va's or what I don't know. I have tried Cap't Black, Paladin, & Middleton's Cherry Blends. Stokkebye's Cherry Bonbon, Lane's Very Cherry and Stanwell's Cherry. This tastes best and the room note is extremely nice.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: Stanwell's Cherry.

Galbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galbreath (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This has a great sweet smell in the pouch but it ends there. The first couple of puffs has a nice cherry candy taste but then it falls apart. Around the midpoint of the bowl a bitter medicine taste takes over and ruins the experience. The first half of the pouch I smoked in a cob but it burned so hot the heat blackened the outside of itand ruined it. Tonight I tried it in a briar I am dedicating to cherry flavours and I had to stop mid way though. The taste was unbearable. Even though Mr. Bs Afternoon Delight is much weaker in taste it is far superior. This was the first and last Borkum Riff I will ever buy.

Pipe Used: MM and a Briar

Purchased From: Fortinos

SpaceCowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpaceCowboy (8)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

this is basically a cheap alternative to chugging grenadine. It's not that this blend is fruity, it's just so artificial. to its advantage, it has a bit of legitimate tobacco flavor to it, which would be great if paired with a lighter, more natural cherry flavoring. this is one of those brands that's a crowd pleaser, as it is way more pleasant to smell than it is to taste. i can't really recomend this.

Javierchu_cai Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javierchu_cai (6)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

Artificial flavor, bites and burns very hot with high humidity. Very bland, has in its favor as it has very good room note.

Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Fodder for your cob, when you can't get anything else...

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is too expensive for what it is.

I dislike the taste, and it burns too hot. I cannot understand why it is so popular.

Not only I would not recommend it, I would try to steer people away from it.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have only been disapointed by borkum riff so far, this was no exception, smells like fake cherries and it tastes worst, too artificial and syrupy for me. I like cherry tobaccos, but i hated this one, it's kind of overwhelming to say the least. If you want cheap OTC cherry tobaccos, even Captain Black cherry is better.

Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

This stuff almost killed me!!!!! I had to beat up the poor guy who sold this to me just to get over the initial taste!!!! Avoid it like the plague. I don't know if the other Borkum Riff blends are as bad but I don't plan on finding out!

Lescuyer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lescuyer (2)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The worst tobacco I have ever smoked. It fact, it doesn't even FEEL like tobacco! The taste of cherry is much too present, leaving no room for enjoyment. I have not even felt any sort of relaxation or pleseant soothness that tobacco usually gives.

To avoid like poison.

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

This was the First pouch of tobacco I ever bought some 8 or 9 years ago . was the only pouch of it I ever bought, by God. I found it ... Off-putting.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

At age 17 I once smoked several loads of this stuff in an enclosed car and as a consequence threw away my pipe and didn't smoke another for many years. Thus endeth the lesson.

360KiloCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
360KiloCat (12)
Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Don't know what made me want to try this one - but I sure know why I initiated its procession into some stinking landfill. Doesn't stay lit, but that is a blessing in disguise as this stuff tastes awful and smokes wet, so you would not want to smoke it for too long.

Quality and taste - in a word, fecal!

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of first blends when I started smoking pipes. IT smells of sweet cherry, almost like a cherry syrup. The blend however is bipolar. At times it can be very pleasant and others it could be like a wild dog biting your tongue to oblivion. I found that if you let it dry a little it can be a more flavorful smoke. Over all a nice smoke to try.

Walysson_Shayne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Walysson_Shayne (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Para os amigos/as de língua PORTUGUESA segue a minha avaliação.

Em função do preço, esse é um tabaco muito consumido, porém "peca" na qualidade. O sabor e aromas são artificiais, a fumada é quente e muito úmida, o que prejudica a fumada. Na língua sentimos a sua "mordida. Para os aficionados pelos aromáticos, pode ser que goste.

Pipe Used: Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Milverton

Age When Smoked: 1

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)

The reviews on this pipe fodder really left me curious, being so varied and at both ends of the spectrum. I had to find out for myself. Upon opening, the aroma was sweet, quite cherry like but too much and certainly not artificial or candy smelling. As noted in another review, this tobacco was rather dry, more so than what I am familiar with. It lit well but burned a little hotter than I would like. I did enjoy the smoke and will add this to my rotation, however I will moisten it with a potato chunk over night and update this review. Updated review; After allowing this mixture to gain some moisture it came alive. The smoke was wonderful, no bite and loads of flavour. Don't dismiss this blend without trying it. I am quite happy that I formed my own opinion.

Pipe Used: peterson

Purchased From: Jade Smokers Corner Regina

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Cherry smoker? Grab your pipe, pack that sucker up with a clump of BR Cherry Cav and puff away. This stuff will put some hair on your chest and on your face. So it bites a bit and might burn hot if you get carried away... no bigs, this is a man's smoke packed with flavor. A litte bite and heat won't hurtcha. The sweet smokey smell will linger in facial hair like a hot cherry halo that will last for hours. Dig it.

joaofrantz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joaofrantz (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely tobacco, my wife does not like the smell of cigarettes and found a tolerably pleasant this tobacco. Do not burn your tongue, the bite and enjoyable. After smoking, not a strong taste and is steeped in the tongue and mouth and I dare say that the taste is pleasant. A blend of tobaccos cured air very balanced and rich in flavors pleasant. They make more than 1 year I stopped smoking and this was my first experience with tobacco since. I recommend for beginners, but also recommend cautiously begin to feel the richness of this tobacco.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (175)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Is one of my favorites and one of the best Cherry tobbacos. Not so Strong in Nicotine, but is very strong in flavour! For People that enjoy Cherry Flavour and sweet Cavendish Tobaccos, it may be a good choice. I feel Cherry Tobaccos, and this is between the betters Easy to find in all the world. This Blend, as other Borkun Riffs, prior were made in Sweden, and now, in Denmark.
Although it remains as one of my Favorites, the Original's Recipe was even much better.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: From Tabacaria Virtual, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil: http://tabacariavirtual.com/

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff - Mixture with Cherry Cavendish.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The only Borkum worth smoking. Does not taste artificial like cherry flavored medicine. It tastes like the freshest, sweetest black cherries and red fruits like plums and raspberries.

The tobacco itself is not the highest quality but its ok and the flavoring makes up for it. The only Borkum you can actually taste. This is now a permanent part of my rotation. Dont be discouraged by the negative reviews here as they seem to be confusing this with the much inferior Borkum cherry liqeur.

I keep the empty packets to store bad tobacco in - the wonderful cherry flavor has saved a couple of pouches of Borkum black cavendish and Borkum original from the compost heap.

Also has less sticks and balls of goo than other borkums. Does not ghost the pipe at all, despite the full cherry flavor.

Very Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I must be honest and state, from the very beginning, that I've never really cared for cherry-flavor tobaccos. I don't mind the fresh fruit, or the flavor in the form of an Icee (anthropomorphic cartoon polar bear included). But not in tobacco. So this review is not entirely fair. However, it may be helpful to someone new who, like me, doesn't care much for excessively artificial flavorings.

This is an extremely chemical-sweet cavendish. It's cloying, goopy, and heavy tasting. It will render your pipes useless, unless the idea is to devote a particular briar to heavy tasting cherry blends.

If you don't mind an aromatic smoke once in a while, but heavily cased tobaccos are not your thing, steer clear from this one. It might have gotten better under the Danish blending techniques, but I wouldn't risk it.

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco was picked up at a grocery check-out lane. I like aromatics & enjoy a number of tobaccos which are "drug store" brands. This isn't one that I enjoyed & I can't recommend it to anyone. It was very bitey & harsh. Hot. The cherry flavor is medicinal, the room note is plastic & has a cheap perfume quality. The aroma is nothing like that of Paladin Black Cherry. There are other low cost aromatics which are much better than this one. I won't need to try it again. 11/17/2011: I have to add that years ago when I offered this to my Dad at deer camp he actually scolded me for letting him try it. And he was a big Captain Black fan.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm not a fan of cherry but I found this stuff and thought: why not?

Not as bad as other cherry blends but not good either, I guess I just don't like cherry. I only keep one or two aromatics handy in small amounts because I like Balkans but now and then I enjoy a change of pace. I have pretty much narrowed down the one or two aromatics I might buy once in a blue moon but I like to try new ones now and then.

This blend isn't all that bad but I found the flavor chemical and, after a few bowls, it tastes like lipstick.

If you are a fan of cherry give it a try because it isn't as sickening as other cherry blends. Not for me.

Mick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Of all the tobaccos I have stuffed in my pipe so far, I will return to this one. I won't say it is good, as it bites very hard if your not cautious and tastes like a mouthful of heavy smoke after awhile as the taste is quickly lost to the taste buds. The only things going for this one is that it smells fantastic and has a pleasant mouthfeel to it. That is still more than I can say for other makers aromatics I've tried up till now. I know I will eventually find better...But that day has yet to come. I give this a high recommendation, as I feel it isn't as bad as it is made out by others I have spoken too. Clean your pipe after every smoke if your tobacco is reasonably fresh, it will leave a sticky residue. Puff gently and all will be fine.

Edit:-I have tried many other tobaccos since writing my review of this one, some of those tobacco's came with very high recommendations indeed. I have found all I have tried so far to be dismal in comparison to BR Cherry Cavindish. I will be ensuring I always have a pouch of this on hand whenever I decide to try something new. I will always be prepared for another let down and the pain of it will be almost non existant for having it.

pipeclubsi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeclubsi (6)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco is the reason why I started smoking pipes. I was never a cigarette smoker. Fruit and other aromas are what makes it and similar ones so special. I understand it can mean a camouflage for a bad tobacco in some cases, but it's mostly fine smoke. So forget about 'pure tobacco elitism' and be a naive child that likes sweets. I recommend it highly :-)

Kfeinson821 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kfeinson821 (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

As much as I would like to give this blend a good review I just cant. In theory Borkum cherry sounds good, but there is so much bite that you cant even taste it. It is very dry and produces a smoke that seems to aim straight for your lungs and leave you coughing. It's aroma is tolerable at best, but you can hardly enjoy it due to the smoke disguised razor splitting your tung in two. I would rather quit smoking than ever purchase another package of this intolerable concoction.

elias Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elias (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This was one of my first reviews here, and I thought two stars were fair. But as I continue, I would say that two stars are unfair to some other tobaccos. So I down-grade it to one star.

========================================== I like the flavor every now and then. I might smoke it more often, but it is self-limiting. More than two pipes a day, and you will not be able to get any pleasure from smoking the day after (it hurts).

The most important problem with this tobacco is the temperature it burns at. The rest is a matter of personal taste.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Initially a very pleasant sweet cherry/vanilla tobacco but soon desecends into a sickly, noxious smell akin to cheap and nasty perfume.

Room Note: The same as the tin aroma, can be overpowering like touring a sweet factory!

Packing: A little tricky as the strands tend to stick together owing to the excessive moistute content; otherwise the riff cut would have made it easy.

Moisture: Sticky and too moist; you could almost bathe in this tobacco. It never seems to dry out, either.

Lighting: Surprisingly easy to light considering the moisture content but does need regular re-lights.

Appearance: Attractive light and dark riff cut with bright virginias and black cavendish. It only ruins things when you actually touch it; imagine running your fingers through cold spaghetti.

Smoking: Not as hot as an aromatic cherry could be but does tend to bite the tongue. The taste starts off pleasant but decends into a gloopy, sickly mess. I couldn't smoke a cherry blend for some time after smoking this mixture; the mere memory of the over sweetness could make me feel nauseous. Burns a little unevenly probably due to the wetness of the smoke which gurgles disconcertedly. Nicotine content is stronger than a lot of aromatics and can give quite a buzz. It will also taint your pipe permanently, so if you're going to try it don't use a favourite! This isn't a tobacco- it's a cherry jam!

Pros: Doesn't burn too hot with careful smoking and doesn't dry out quickly. Lights quite easily.

Cons: A sticky, gloopy mess that is difficult to pack well, burns unevenly, needs regular re-lights and burns the tongue. The sweet and sickly taste and smell seems to permeate everything including your pipe.

Score: Two out of Five. In small doses can be fragrant and doesn't totally set your mouth on fire. Too clawing to finish the pouch. You may like it if you have a VERY sweet tooth!

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Strong Cherry Blast upon light up. Stays pat all thru the smoke.

Smokes hot. It's sticky, gooey and wet.

A definite candy that lasts a long time!

Boredom Wiff.

fortezero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fortezero (11)
Very Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

This was another of my early smokes, aand is to be compared to Middleton's cherry blend. Upon opening the plastic pouch, the bizarrely powerful(read: noxious) aroma fills whatever it is that one is residing in. The aroma is a bit stronger than Middleton's cherry, and that is quite the unsavory omen. The feel of this tobacco to the fingers is absolutely horrible. Its almost like playing with wet, moldy straw that is luke-warm. Beyond that, packing is simple enough, of course, the awful feel of the tobac made me want to get the handling of it done as soon as possible, so I may have been a bit hurried on the pack. No Matter. Upon greeting the fire, about a quarter of the bowl just sort of combusted and disappeared. The stuff is THAT dry.. which is interesting, because of all the crap that it seems to be swimming in. At any rate, the taste of cherry was definately there, and even in a more potent form than in Middleton's blend. This was, thank god, smoked in a MM corncob. One which will never, ever be allowed to enter the room with the rest of my tobacco in it. If you simply must try a cherry flavored blend, try Middleton's. At least it won't kill you.

MiddleEarth Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MiddleEarth Piper (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very cherry tobacco, artificial cherry but pleasant aroma. No tongue bite, nice and smooth tobacco, I recommend this tobacco to people who like sweet and cherry tobaccos.

Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish . The market seems full to the brim with Cherry aro's , so lets see what this one offers ! The smell from the mixture is unmistakably Cherry , not much tobacco fragrance , just an almost "sweet shop" smell , airing towards sickly ! I cant complain of it being too wet or dehydrated , it's actually really good in that department . The mixture doesn't appear to selfish with any one tobacco type , it's a real good selection of the varieties of tobacco . The moment I light this and take the first few puffs I am a little perplexed , the taste is no where near as heavy with Cherry as I anticipated from the aroma ! The Cherry definitely takes the pole position but it isn't that strong as to push all the others aside . The Vanilla takes second place in the flavour rally , a lovely sweet and creamy Vanilla taste that is present from beginning to end . The burn is extremely even , it doesn't require many re-lights at all and gives of a medium temperature smoke that gives me no bite throughout . Nicotine is at a middle level but one of the few negatives with B.R Cherry Cav' is if you smoke for "N" it is a little abrasive when/if inhaled . As I said at the beginning , the market is swamped with Cherry aro's , all commonly harsh , biting , sickly and too sweat but this ones flavour is a lot tamer , I think it is the addition of Vanilla that really grounds this blend , it's a shame that the Vanilla doesn't get some reverence by being included in the title ! A really calm aromatic .

Pipe Used: Mr Brog Scoot

Purchased From: Smoke King

lcristante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lcristante (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is just fine. Not good and not bad at all, just reasonable. I will smoke it if I cannot find anything better. By the way, it is very cheap!

Pipe Used: Many

jaymzmetallica1313 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jaymzmetallica1313 (1)
Very Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

As an overall it's a good tobacco for its cheap price. it is very atomatic very sweet it has a strong cherry taste and aroma but it burns fast may be as it is kinda dry and the last couple puffs are not so pleasent they taste like ash. it works better if cut down and rolled with vanilla paper (all my friends and i love it that way. anyway it's not my favourite as i like mild tasting tobacco.

Pipe Used: D-Brand Ebony Pipe

Age When Smoked: various

Purchased From: Rania Smoking Shop Port Said St. El Shatby Aex. Egypt

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Not my cup of cherry tea, but it does have a decent cherry flavor. Burns too hot and fast, but at least it doesn't have the chemical taste I noticed in BR's other cherry blend. I recommend this one over the other. Sip it, and you'll avoid tongue bite.There are better cherry blends on the market, and much worse, but this will do in a pinch.

LarsFiskaren Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarsFiskaren (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I like aromatics, had never tried a cherry tobacco, so I gave this a try. The smell that comes from the pouch is very chemical, doesn't smell like a tobacco. The flavor is very artificial, very sharp, no matter how slow I smoke it, it bit my tongue. I've been told that the room note is quite good, but other than that, this tobacco is terrible. Not recommended.

Pipe Used: BigBen briar

Honzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Honzz (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

the tobacco is too dry,tongue bite,need relight,artificial flavour.

This tobacco is just OK. No good, not bad at all. I will smoke it if I cannot find anything better.

marcelo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marcelo (1)
Medium Strong Mild Pleasant

Apesar de ser um principiante na arte do cachimbo, já provei algumas misturas para me sentir bem a vontade para falar sobre esse tabaco.

Não se iludam pelo belo aroma , isso é tudo que essa mistura tem a oferecer!é uma luta para mante-lo aceso, e requer luz constante; e justamente por isso morde como uma víbora,requer um constante calcar, oque ao meio da tigela da a impressão de estar calcando pedra pois ele fica muito duro.

O fundo do fornilho vira um pântano! interessante é que o primeiro 1/3 é até agradável com alguma doçura, mais dai pra lá ele declina terrivelmente chegando até a amargar .

Em fim é como dizem os mais velhos: desconfie de aromáticos com um aroma pesado em geral escondem porcarias! parece ser esse o caso desse tabaco.

Fiquem longe dele!

Buzzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buzzy (1)

I know I'm going against popular opinion here, and I'm open to the possibility that I'm deluded, but I've been smoking pipes for a couple of years now and have tried a few, admittedly not many, different flavors and brands, and Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish is the only pipe tobacco I like. I've actually thrown away some others, or mixed them with the BRCC in order not to waste them. I've read just about every insult possible leveled at the BRCC in terms of it's nefarious effects on the smoker the pipe and the room, and yeah, she does bite at times, but who doesn't? Anyway, just thought I'd put in a good word for the underdog as the BRCC's been treating me well.

Harleykop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harleykop (3)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable

I bought a sample pack of Borkum Riff. Cherry Cavendish is the worst of the pack of bad tobacco. After smoking it twice I took it out to the compost pile - at least this way it wasn't a total waste.

MADPIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MADPIPER (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I think it leaves a pleasant aroma, but I'm more of a first hand smoker. I think it leaves some serious goop. I think its a real pain to keep lit, therefore, in a effort to keep it rolling it becomes roughly the temperature of the sun and bites the ol' beaver whip fairly hard.

I wouldn't depend on this bag alone for satisfaction. Maybe I'll mix it in with something else on a rainy day when I run out of else?

I wont buy it again.

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Atrocious smoke of dripping, cloying caramel. Even the room note is sickening. Burns well, but with tongue bite.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (58)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

My first Borkum Riff review said avoid this brand, so why am I writing a second review on a different blend?

well, my friend brought this the other day and I thought, why not give BR another shot?

By Golly, this smells, tastes, smokes, and bites times worse than the Vanilla Cavendish.

BR should stop making aromatic blends; now I don't even want to bother and try other BR non aromatic blends... YUCK!

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this a few times due to its wide availability and my lack of planning. Some times a treat in very small doses.

Purchased in 50g pouches here, always very wet and goopy, this is not for your favorite pipe. Bites, runs on the hot side with out a decent amount of drying time, and generally its a PIA.

Room note is tolerable for most. Not my favorite but worth a try in small doses in a small bore/chamber pipe, sipping on it. The missus enjoys it a bit more than I.

J.Wellington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Wellington (5)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Hello folks! As my pipe tobacco experience is hardly rudimentary, my review can not be considered the most representative, and might do justice or injustice to this blend! In any way, I personally liked it! I have tried the Whiskey (or Bourbon?) Flavor and the Orange and Honey (if I remember well!) one from this brand, and after the latter, the Cherry Blend is my second favorite! I can't really feel the Cherry, but the package itself says 'hints of Cherry', so I had it coming! All in all, it is pleasant, a good way to start your morning, along with your black coffee, to balance the sweetness.. Oh, and a paradox: This mixture makes me particularly thirsty! Don't know why!

Carlosviet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlosviet (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Everyone uses to like the smell of this tobacco, except the smoker oneself. It really feels like smoking incense; very wet and requiring a more than the average of pipe cleaning, it gargles a lot in the bowl and bites like a snake. It is a very available brand, which makes it worthy to get used to it, for travelers. But it doesn't make a good experience. I personally mix it with other less flavored but more elegant tobaccos.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (24)

This is the first tobacco I tried after getting into pipe smoking. First impression after opening the pouch was good. I liked the smell, even if it was a bit artificial.

I struggle to keep this tobacco lit. I find I have to puff nearly constantly to keep it going. It burns hot due to this I reckon. The taste and aroma are both pretty mild to me. It didn't leave the wonderful room note that I kept hearing people say it would. When I actually do get some flavor and aroma, it can be quite nice. I just don't get it often enough.

After trying some Peterson tobacco, I doubt I'll be buying this tobacco again, especially considering this costs $40 for a 50g pouch in Australia.

Edit: A year later I'm still finishing the first pouch I bought of this. The room note is a lot better than I previously mentioned. I think I was too harsh on it earlier so I'm giving it another star.

bearsy87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearsy87 (10)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

artificial in the most literal of meanings. smell taste and even feel. This burns too hot and will all but ruin your pipe.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This review was only based on one pipeful: Cased cherry flavor over cheap burley. Enough said

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend has improved significantly since production was moved to Denmark- the Orlik factory I believe. I have tried the old version & it was wet, bitter, & consistently bit my tongue. I bought this recently to see if there was any difference after I noticed the new packaging. And there is! From the pouch the moisture is on the dry side. It packs easily & has a wonderful room note. The flavour of the tobacco is much better. It is complex & has depth. I can taste the nuttiness of the burley, the sweetness of the Virginia, & the tang I presume is from the cherry casing. The flavours come in & out over the duration of the smoke. Since I have become more of an English & Va smoker, I find this blend surprisingly pleasant & interesting. It's quiet good for a change of pace. I'm glad I tried it again.

J.Singarti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Singarti (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smell from the bag was ok however once lit i did not detect any of the cherry. It burned quite hot and often went out. I will not buy another bag but it was ok to try.

mrhemi1971 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrhemi1971 (1)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Being a new pipe smoker, I decided to try it out. I had a bit of a time keeping it lit (could be inexperience) but it did have a bit of tongue bite, and it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I may have to come back later and give it a try once time has given me some more experience, but I cant say I enjoyed it.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Don't confuse this blend with BR Cherry Liqueur blend. The names are similar but they do taste different. I suspect the bad reviews here are a result of the confusion. This blend smokes clean, dry and tasty - the other stuff is a goopy mess. If you like cherry blends, BR Cherry and Middleton's Cherry are your best bet although BR isn't cased quite as heavily.

NBPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NBPiper (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I received my first pipe this Xmas and this tobacco accompanied the pipe. First thing I noticed was the great aroma. After getting the hang of lighting my pipe, I found this tobacco to be quite enjoyable, and have bought my second pouch already.

like_that Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
like_that (1)

It´s a good tobacco for people in Brazil who don´t find nice stuff at good prices. Although I like ultra light better, this one is pleasant enough for me, the room note is acceptable and the flavour tastes good. Don´t think my briar pipes are damaged by it anyway.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Another dreadful offering from Borkum Riff: hot, wet and horrible. I suspect that new, young pipe smokers looking for novelty are the customers who will be chiefly drawn to this; but I can't imagine even people who like heavily-cased aromatics enjoying the artificial, cheap and nasty “Cherry” flavour of Cherry Cavendish for long. Blecch!

I remember being given cough mixture as a child that tasted a little like this, only cooler. I don't know what chemical is used to create this effect, but it's nothing like any cherry I've come across. The tobacco itself is nondescript and, I suspect, not of good quality. The casing is vile and, I imagine, only there to try to cheer up a third-rate leaf.

If you want to try Cherry Cavendish, just to be broad-minded, be warned: the flavour will linger in your pipe for ages. If you're looking for an aromatic, there are plenty to choose from out there that are far superior to this: Gawith & Hoggarth Cherry & Vanilla, for example. I wouldn't wish Cherry Cavendish on my worst enemy.

D.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.M. (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Tried this in a 40g pouch, which seems to be for sale everywhere here in Switzerland. Very sweet cherry pouch smell. Hard to keep lit without pushing it. Very bitey and sour when pushed. Otherwise very bland with no structure, almost no cherry except for a few moments in the middle of the bowl. Overall, not enjoyable to smoke at all. Maybe try blending it with some light Virginia.

LoKi6922 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoKi6922 (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

The room note is what sold me on this heavily cased tobacco. My grandfather used to smoke this and Captain Black White and I remember the smell being luxurious when I was a kid. I wasn't far wrong... The taste in the bowl however, is purely lacking. It burns evenly but will leave a coating of syrupy gunk in your bowl and stem.

Everyone around you will enjoy the smell, but the taste is almost non existent.

Cheap, but save your money for something better.

Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoker (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

It was a total mistake that i bought this tobacco. I had tasted the bourbon whiskey before and was ok so i said to take the chance and try something more aromatic from borkum riff. How wrong i was its awful as a taste.

Patte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patte (8)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I destroyed a pipe in my youth with this crap. The briar got all soaked with the cherry juice from this "tobacco". That was 23 years ago, and the pipe still got the cherry smell.

Avoid Borkum Riff if you want real quality pipe tobaccos instead of smokable candy.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is probably the best offering from Borkum Riff, if I may speak so...

Not a great tobacco, by all means. But not terrible either.

NoviceNaomi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NoviceNaomi (1)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I honestly don't know what i was thinking. I think i was watching a pipeman video and he said something like 'there's more to pipe tobacco than cherry and vanilla'. Cherry tobacco? How odd. It's ok in a Nargila (Arab water pipe)--maybe i will try it! When you open the packet, this candy cherry smell is overpowering; smells like it would be nice to eat. I smoked it a few times (this was my second tobacco) and after buying some peterson tobacco (sunset breeze--not crazy about it), i could not go back to this. I chucked the remaining baccy in the bin. Ewe! PS--all the stuff about--strength, taste, etc, i had to fill in to submit my review--i have no idea what i am talking about, except for the room note.

N.D. Burns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N.D. Burns (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I love my aromatics but this tobacco was not at all what I had expected. First off, just smelling the tobacco before lighting it, the aroma was absolutely unnatural. It smelled alot like a cherry cough drop. So I proceed to smoke it and the cherry and vanilla flavour that the description boasts is non existent! It tasted like some dry, stale, virginia without any flavour or aroma at all. What a waste of $7.00! If you are at the local drug store and you are stuck between choosing this stuff or Captain Black, make it Captain Black. I literally threw this stuff in the garbage after trying it. I didn't even finish the bowl!

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My daughter bought me a pouch of this as she liked the way it smelled, when I saw it was cherry flavoured I cringed. Cherry is not one of my favourite flavours in anything, let alone my pipe tobacco. I thanked her, filled one of my corncobs and proceded light up, getting ready to make some polite comments to her.

WOW!

I was honestly surprised, the cherry is very subtle, almost an undertone to the tobacco, along with a spicy full earth like taste. It does smell strong in the room,(although I enjoy this), and it can bite if puffed too hard/quickly. This is one tobacco I can say has won me over, and I plan on buying it on a regular basis.

3/3/10 I have to add an additional comment, the nicotine content is rather high. I smoke 15 to 20 pipes a day on the average. More than 3 or 4 of this blend and I can feel the effects, and start getting dizzy and somewhat nauseous.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

This tobacco is absolutely awesome, that is, if you've somehow managed to lose 97% of your taste buds in some horrible accident.

It's a pain to get it to light, and when you finally do, you wish you hadn't. The smell in the pouch is pretty decent, though you can tell it's been laced with all sorts of chemicals. However, despite the somewhat pleasant smell in the pouch, none of it whatsoever translates to the actual smoke.

It burns hot, it bites, and most of the time it tastes like you're smoking ash.

You'd be better off crumpling a 5 dollar bill in your pipe and smoking it. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as this.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I could smell this tobacco before I even opened the packet. Mmmmmmm. Or so I thought.

The flavour drifts in and out as you progress throught the bowl and it can get a little strong and bitey if smoked too hard.

It's a bugger to keep alight and the more you fight with it the hotter and harsher it gets.

Much as I love the smell of this tobacco, I still have some left that I return to from time to time to remind myself what could have been.

Not recommended for new pipers.

Ian4545 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian4545 (7)
Very Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I want my money back. I couldn't taste this tobacco and it does not burn well at all. At least it smells good.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Strong Extra Strong Full Pleasant

It is the tobacco for which (in my opinion) there is the largest difference between the taste you pipe smoker feel and the room note.

From the pipe smoker feeling, it is more a dull strong kentucky-based mixture (the cavendish is very far in the background, vanilla and cherry almost undetectable). Tongue bite easy to obtain as well with this tobak !!

From the other people in the room, it seems to be a delicious smell, not strong at all. If you would like to experiment strong kentucky-based mixtures, please don't choose this one, except if you want to have the look (but only the look) of an aficionado of mild aromatics.

Conclusion: Please do yourself a favor: avoid this stuff by all means!

Sciz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sciz (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

i like the smell of this blend when it is lit even though it gave me a lot of tongue bites and constant relighting.

it's something that i'd smoke once in a while, but i'd go for the others...

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

In my experience, no other tobacco elicits a greater positive response from non-smokers than this one. "Heavenly", "delicious", "divine" are some of the descriptions you'll hear from non-smokers. Why then, do some smokers dislike the room note? Simply because it doesn't smell like conventional, "stinky"tobacco smoke which is the very reason non-smokers love it so much.

The pouch aroma is a mix between cherry flavoured Kool-Aid and Life-Savers. Once lit, it changes into a warm, sweet cherry pie baking in the oven. A warm dough smell enfolds the sweet cherry note to produce a comforting confectionary aroma.

The room note is strong. After lighting your pipe, it won't be long before people from 50 feet away turn their heads. Don't smoke this if you are shy or dislike attention!

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. This tobacco does not have the same flat, hot air qualities of many other aromatics. The tobacco is of medium strength and the taste is full, not only as a result of the cherry flavouring but also due to the tobacco strength. The tobacco used is mainly burley and the leaf is of average quality. Once properly lit, it burns well although not quite as easily as say a Pipeworks & Wilke aromatic. It will heat up if you puff like a train, but that is hardly necessary as a result of the full flavour and above average (for an aromatic) tobacco strength. I have not experienced any bite from this tobacco, but I smoke slowly - I prefer to purposefully let my pipe go out a few times. Sometimes a medium sized bowl lasts me two hours.

I smoke this tobacco only about once every three months. If you approach this tobacco correctly and appreciate it for what it tries to be, you can have great fun with it.

"PUFF" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"PUFF" (6)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Tolerable

This tobacco, upon opening the pouch, sends a forewarning in my opinion. The cherry aroma is "over the top" - gaudy, and synthetic. The tobacco handles quite nicely, and filling a loose, lightly tamped bowl will yield satisfactory results. .. After 1/4 bowl smoked, the dark fired Kentucky comes out somewhat, giving a bit of character to this mixture. .. lights well, will bite a brisk smoker, and is I think, a "gate-run" smoke. Not too bad a choice for a beginning pipe-smoker perhaps, but he/she will soon aspire to having a better quality tobacco, in my opinion.

DrugStorePuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrugStorePuffer (6)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon trying this brand I enjoyed the taste very much. I did notice, however, that if you were not carefull it would give you quite a bite. After a pouch of this my tongue felt like it was going to fall out of my mouth. It is a good burning tobacco with a very pleasant room note. It was not sticky at all nor was it dry. If you are carefull you might be able to smoke this on a regular basis. I can not! I now mix this 50/50 with Lane Limited(see my other reviews)Cherry Cavendish and this has become my main choice of smoke. Try this mix...It is very enjoyable with NO BITE AT ALL!!! Lots of flavour and an excellent room note.

JackinJapan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackinJapan (12)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked way back in my late teens. A gentleman was smoking a pipe and it smelled so good that I asked him what it was and went out and bought a pipe to try it for myself.

When I decided to start smoking a pipe seriously it was the tobacco I choose again, mainly because I had no idea what I was doing, hehe. Now that I have moved beyond this tobacco and have slightly more refined tastes, I still find myself occasionally buying a pouch of it, more out of nostalgia than anything else.

The room note of this tobacco is very strong and very cherry and people remark on how good it smells quite often. On opening the pouch for the first time, the cherry smell is quite pronounced and although this mellows somewhat over time it remains quite consistent for a long time after the pouch has been opened. Whenever I have given the pouch over for someone to smell the tobacco itself they have always remarked on how good it smells. The feel of the tobacco itself is somewhere between medium and high grade with occasional stems to be found and picked out.

The smoke is very sweet and a strong flavor of cherry comes through. If that were all I would highly recommend it for the times you would like something quite sweet or as a "dessert" tobacco but I found that in comparison with some other similarly priced aromatic blends available it has a strong bite if smoked for any length of time.

If you are careful and smoke very slowly though and like sweet and like cherry it can be a pleasurable smoke. The cherry taste and pleasant aroma last throughout the bowl but a good bit of dottle develops and it can become a wet smoke at the end. This can be somewhat offset by drying the tobacco out a bit but I have found that even quite dry you should still be wary of the bite. Another alternative to offset some of the drawbacks would be to smoke it in a very small bowled pipe.

----------------

Bottom Line: Very sweet smoke, very cherry taste with a hint of vanilla, extremely pleasant in room note and smell of the tobacco itself, vicious bite to be looked out for by smoking slowly or only for a short time.

Goodlife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goodlife (4)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A couple of years after my initial review, and I feel it only sensible to maintain the opinion that cherry cavendish is a pleasant aromatic, if a little harsh on the tongue. Ignition is not too easy, and the flavour may, for some, be a little overpowering.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

like the other borkum riff line (an over the counter european version) cased burly cavendish that burns okay with moderat attention and if smoked moderatly it might spare you tounge! the room note is friendly and the price is right plus it packs allright but defiantly weak on the taste department..i found the cherry casing fades away the more you go through the bowl (as it is the case with most commercial otc blends). might be a a chouce for that pace of change but certainly not a daily cup of tea for me.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of this as well as a pouch of Captain Black Royal mostly out of pity. I wandered into a cigar shop hoping to find some tins of something interesting and instead I found a forlorn and lonely looking guy presiding over a dismal cigar inventory and a few pouches of pipe weed. Sign of the times, I suppose. I figured, 'What the heck?' I'd never tried either brand. For that matter, I'd never even tried a pouch tobacco. I'm a Canuck living in the US and so even the highest priced tins look cheap to me.

It's entirely possible that I'm just a spoiled brat, but I'm pretty sure that this is one of the worst tobaccos on earth. It's cherry-very-cherry in the pouch but curiously mouth-drying when smoked. The leaf--a mix of yellow and black Cavendish ribbons--looks and feels second-tier. I managed to get through half a bowl at standard Virginia-smoking pace (which is pretty slow) before I had to head to the freezer for a bowl of ice cream. For me, that's reason enough to avoid it: Borkum Riff will make me fat.

If you smoke exclusively for those around you (and if you do, you are a fool) then go ahead and have at it. If price is an issue, I recommend that you smoke half as much and buy better tobacco.

I would buy it again in the same situation. That guy really looked down and downer. But I sure wouldn't smoke it.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

a very Well done cherry belnd for the cherry lovers, sweet and cool buning, gentle on the tongue with a distinctive tobacco flavor of burley.

bullof7battles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bullof7battles (7)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

If I hear or see any tobacco that has "cherry" in its name, I run. My tongue hasn't been the same ever since I tried this stuff.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

Not a bad aromatic. Nothing special as a pipe tobacco though.. Samuel Gawith Black Cherry has a heavier toping so if you want a strong cherry taste this will not suffice. On the other hand if you want a nice smelling aromatic that is not a mouthful and good as an everyday smoke I think one should give it a try. Last, If you are not a cherry person, keep your distance! I have learned MY lesson...

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I will not be as absolute as Pipestud, whose reviews, I appreciate a lot and who writes for the specific tobacco ?This mix is totally and absolutely not suitable for consumption?.

And I will not be so absolute because for some period, our choices in my country were very limited (CLAN, CAPTAIN BLACK, AMPHORA, BORKUM RIFF WHISKY). I was asking from friends to bring to me from abroad CHERRY CAVENDISH in order to smoke something different.

It has a quite interesting perfume, the smell of cheap cherry is very strong till the end of bowl, nice perfume in the room, but it burns the tongue.

Surely I wouldn?t return to him anymore but because of my hard efforts to find him in the past, I give him 2 stars.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I haven't made up my mind about this one. I have some that has been around for awhile, so it's not the wet goopy stuff you guys have been touting about. It does have some bite to it, but if you don't draw on it like a hoover, it's not too bad. I liked the smell during the first few moments, but it fades away pretty quick, then it just gets boring. For the newbies out there, you could do worse.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Can't ask too much of a drugstore blend. This is a perfect blend for one who gives priority on price over quality, or doesn't want anything sophisticated, just an plain aromatic to puff around all day. Some days, that's exactly how I feel, but it doesn't happen often.

Golden, brown and black leaves, long cut, definitive cherry aroma and taste while smoking. Smooth, mild and light. Not too bad on the finale, impact -on -the -interior- of -the -pipe -wise.

Average aromatic, not for me, but suited for a lot as I imagine, because the sales are good.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A tongue killer, and not much else. There are worse aromatics than this (i.e. Super Value, BR Whiskey) and a lot better (give any other name and you'll hit the nail). The only good point I've found it's consistency: the kinda-cherry taste lasts until the end of the bowl.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It was there. Its really hard sometimes to wait on your parcel of various tobacco's. This was one of the first I ever smoked. Its cheap, availible, very cherry- reminds me of the waxy lip balms when I was a kid. But hey. Why Not? Recommended to those who really want a lot of cherry and very little to no tobacco.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I visited a friend today who was smoking some of this stuff. To me, I thought it smelled pretty good, so thumbs up on the room note.

After a while I thought to ask him if I could try a bowl. It was fairly moist, but packed easy enough and wasn't overly difficult to get lit.

Initial flavor was like cherry kool-aid. I didn't find it overly powerful, compared to some other aromatics which I have tried. It seemed pretty mild on the tongue to me, considering cherry tobak often has a reputation for being especially bitey. I didn't have any issues with it anyways. As the bowl progressed the cherry flavor seemed to diminish steadily, although it never became unpleasant.

I smoked one bowl in one of my regular briars, and the cherry didn't seem to haunt it noticably afterwards, but I think a dedicated aromatics pipe or corncob might be indicated if you planned on smoking a whole pouch of it.

I guess for an aromatic cherry tobacco, its allright. If thats your thing then you might like this. I'd actually consider getting a pouch sometime if I wanted a break from my usual natural and English tobaccos. I'm not a big aromatic smoker, but I do keep one or two varieties around for a change of pace occasionally. In this regards, Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish would suit the bill as a token aromatic. Its got decent flavor, smells pretty good, doesn't bite, and is readily available. However, its relatively expensive for a drugstore tobacco and there are doubtless plenty other cherry and fruit flavored offerings at a comparable price with better quality. Therefore, I somewhat recommend this.

Ron Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ron Jones (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is my everyday smoke I cant see how some of these dudes on here get that it has alot of bite it doesnt bite me at all! I like this for the fact that it has very little tongue bite. It has a very pleasant room note and it doenst gob up the pipe like most other auromatics do. It is all in the packing of your pipe and technique. So if you like a mild a mild tobacco with a nice room note that doesnt bite then this tobacco is for you gents.

LordXBunny82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LordXBunny82 (1)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Unnoticeable

I dont mind much if the stuff is gummy, and I think the aroma is quite nice. A half-welcome change from my usually dull cigars. (comparing to which would be possible, but you cant pit a 2$ ounce and a half of this stuff to a heavyweight!)

I find pipesmoking this to be an episode in premature esmokeulation, but wrapped in papers it burns slowly enough to enjoy.

The aroma is strong, I cant detect the original scent of tobacco lurking in there.. The initial draws taste heavily of the (wooden) casing and every so often vanilla. I dont notice the cherries so much and later on only the wood really pulls through.

For g_d's sakes use some half decent tools to pack your pipe (or what-have-you) if you dont like it getting on your poor, delicate hands! :P

Cheap as it may be, every tobacco should be given its dues, and this could, and IS likened to a very strong blend (tastewise) that novices can enjoy, and an expert can occasionally smoke to remind himself of the old days before he spent a pretty penny on a prettier leaf.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

My, my, such harsh reviews here. One thing you can say about Borkum Riff is that their blends are never subtle. This blend does have a very strong, sweet cherry pouch aroma. The taste has a very sweet cherry flavor but I thought the vanilla was undetectable. Probably because the cherry overwhelms all other flavors. It has the usual Borkum Riff poor quality leaf. I kind of like the taste when I?m in the mood for a cherry blast but I certainly couldn?t smoke it more than a bowl or two at a time and only on those certain occasions. It?s not near as mild as Middleton?s cherry brand but believe it or not, it is also not as strong as BR?s own Cherry Liqueur.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I like the taste for a change now & then.The tobacco is rather dark,look's good,smell's superb & taste great.For a pouch blend it's very good.This one get's a great response to those around.(Smoker's & non smoker's)Some new & old smoker's would find this agreeable. 3 out of 4 star's.

Hesam1980 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hesam1980 (5)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

good taste,aromatic but a little strong for beginners...