Extremely mild with a full round taste and hazelnut/vanilla aroma. A non-biting smoke that can be enjoyed all day long.

BrandAlsbo
Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being a black cavendish blend, you get the vanilla flavor you expect, plus a little hazelnut hit to boot. I found it a little spicy, too. Burns kind of fast, but I experienced no tongue bite, and it performed fairly decently with no goop. It's not a great blend, but if you like a vanilla flavored mixture, you can certainly do much worse.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Alsbo Black . Having read mixed responses to this I decided to try it myself . The first thing to notice is the unlit aroma , it is a Cavendish smell that has a touch of aromatic to it which is easily noticeable as a Vanilla . It has a superb/even consistency to it which makes it very enticing . It is of a good moistness which will not require any extra drying/airing time . Once lit it has a great taste to it where the most prominent "added" flavour is Vanilla but not too heavy as to completely mask the Cavendish . The actual texture of the smoke is quite thick but not too heavy and it delivers zero tongue bite . The burn is very even and steady requiring not many re-lights , creating an almost "Cigar like "white ash . The Vanilla flavour does not dissipate any as the bowl burns but with time you notice the Hazelnut as well . Unlike many Cavendish Aromatics it does not create a lot of cake and goop in the bowl . A very nice smoke .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Stiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stiff (7)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I am not that much into aromatic tobaccos but this one is a good compromise for me when cut with a plain brown tobacco as an everyday smoke. Pros: Your wife will love it.

Iron Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iron Pipe (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Is this the Dane for you?

If you like your Danes hairy, conquestious with a penchant for horn adorned helmets and invading Lindesfarne then this is probably not for you.

However if Magnus Magnusson is more your cup of tobacco then this may be up your street. It's cool, calm and won't let you pass without trying.

It burns cool and smooth and probably leaves the best aroma of any tobacco I have tried so far. I have yet to experience any tongue bite after 100g of this, just a mellow taste and kick that is suitable all day long. Recommended.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing to write home about. Just OK if you are looking for a Vanilla aromatic. It does not burn too hot and it does not possess a strong tongue bite. Probably I got a dry pouch - but overall I will not buy another one. I have found quite a few better aromatics in this group.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

If you are a beginner and are seeking an inexpensive, very mild, aromatic and easy going tobacco, then this is for you. If not, it is not for you.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

first the good things, the taste is good, no tonguebite good roomnote. the not so good things, MILD MILD !! monotone flavoring. the flavour stays throughout the bowl good for the newbee pipesmoker. i would not recommend it to the more experienced pipesmoker

Alvis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alvis (8)

I bought my first pouch of Alsbo Black in Poland. I liked the aroma as soon as I opened it. I swear I could smell hints of whiskey in it.

It is a very nice smoke, with a very pleasant taste. I tasted a nice natural tobacco with hints of nuts and whiskey. It burned nice but I found it could get quite wet towards the end of the bowl and it seemed to burn somewhat hot. It quite reminded me of Peterson's Sunset Breeze.

I recommend trying this blend.

Tagnos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tagnos (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Not bad tobacoo. No tongue bite. Pleasant room note. Very good for beginners.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A pleasant enough black cavendish but not as memorable as its more aromatic companion ALSBO GOLD. There is sweetness enough though I crave my aromatics with a bit more sugar and spicyness. There's a slight taste of vanilla. Pleasant mouth feel, smokes cool in the pipe, is almost impossible to get hot or bitter in the bowl and finishes nicely. Agree with other taboccoreviews.com scribes who would recommend this mixture to a frosh pipe smoker seeking a gentle introduction to the pipe smoking life.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Very nice aroma. Medium size cut. A bit hard to keep lit.

A good choice for beginners because it does not bite

roblee7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roblee7 (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, and unbelievably beautiful I think! Wonderful aroma, no tongue bite and super smooth...I'll sit back with a whisky and a pipe full of this stuff forever, make mine the Alsbo!!!

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

An easy beginner's aromatic. High quality Cavendish for a reasonnable price with a good vanilla topping. It smokes very smooth, with a mild taste and a wonderful room note. No problems with packing and lighting, leaves very little dottle and doesn't smaoke wet if you smoke slowly. I like to have some in my car or my vest pocket as an all round or emergency tobacco. Not for people who look for complex flavors, nicotine kick or 'real' tobacco taste.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Hmmmm.... I thought I used to like this.

However, these days it seems to burn hot and taste a lot more 'chemically'(?!) these days than it used to..

Smells ok, and I'd suggest mixing it with other tobaccos if so inclined to. Medium/average quality tobacco that makes the best with what it has to offer..

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Alsbo Black is a good, though rather pedestrian, Black Cavendish, It's sweet, very aromatic and the description is pretty accurate: vanilla and hazelnut is what you get.

Unfortunately, and unlike Mac Baren's Black Ambrosia, there`s not much in the way of tobacco flavor. However it burns pretty well, virtually without tongue bite and with a room note that tends to dissipate quickly. It has a little more ump than its Golden sibling (basically a vanilla/pistaccio tasting golden cavendish).

Recommended as a very nice and smooth introduction to aromatics.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

Well i find it better than the gold, but neither i enjoyed. The pouch aroma was nice and so was the room note, i found it lingered for several days in my garage, but the taste to me was like plastic and vanilla. I bought this when it was on sale, and im shocked the company expects you to pay that much for the pouch. I think there are better black blends out there.

Carrot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carrot (13)

This is the first tobacco I smoked and really enjoyed. I think this stuff is great and usually have some lying around. It is mild and has a great room note. Even non smokers will be complementing you on your choice of tobacco. I usually smoke this when I've got company as most folks really like the aroma. I'd recommend this to a new pipe smoker as it is not too strong and is a very pleasant mild smoke. I personally find Alsbo Black to be a great smoke any time of day or night.

Not much to write about this. Good quality tobaccos, no tongue bite and with a vanilla flavor that is always present but not overwhelming. Nothing great, just a very decent smoke.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Again, a nice black cavendish, decent quality, but very mild. Suitable for the beginner that gets tired of the mostly golden mixtures and wants something stronger on the taste side.

Not much to say about it, it's the typical black cavendish mixture, 1/2 to 2/3 black leaf, the rest golden/brown leaves. It's NOT cheap quality tobacco, but not good either; and it's just very mild, making you puff harder for some taste/nicotine kick. But it's tastier than Alsbo gold.

It could be a bit hard to light properly and this one will not really smoke dry, rather on the wet side, but never, ever as bad as the good ol' Captain Black(...)

The room aroma is nice, the pouch aroma also, and the pouch is nice looking.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is one of those tobaccos I wish I had an oportunity to start pipe smoking with years ago, back then I went the usual way: Captain Black, Mac barens, Clan, etc... this one is better than those in the sense that is both mild and aromatic but tastes like something (something like vanilla and hazelnut) Then again, is a great tobacco (not superb quality though) but there are so many other brands that I became a big fan of in the meantime, that now I feel great for finally trying it out, but even though I'm enjoying a pipe full of this stuff, I think it's hard to get stuck on something like this like I would have done years ago, but I will strongly recommend it to both, starters and anyone who fancies a mild danish aromatic that's a bit classier and less goopey than most cheap aromatics. It's a great all day smoke. and leaves a great room note. For the english tobacco smoker, this is probably girlie stuff.

Alex Madsen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alex Madsen (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I found this Danish tobacco to be a bit too mellow for my tastes, being a predominantly english smoker with leanings toward all things Balkan.

This is a great beginner's smoke; not overpowering, essentially not a tongue-burner (although you could if you tried!), and carries a "wife rating" that's decent enough to allow more than a few pleasant puffs indoors.

I wouldn't, however, recommend this tobacco to a more seasoned smoker; it's simply too mild to be sampled without being bored of it even after a few sessions.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my current all day aromatic smoke. I discovered it on this website before buying. It can be best summed up as Clan sweet and low in my opinion.

Great vanilla taste and room aroma. SWMBO even comments on how nice it smells when I come in from the garage. Virtually no tongue bite unless you puff really hard. Nicely packaged and relatively good value. What more can I say. Will keep buying until I find a better aromatic.

Recommended.

UPDATE - by the time I finished the 50g pouch I was pretty fed up of the sickly sweet taste of this tobacco. Don't think I will be buying it again as I have found better tobaccos since.

Pipesmooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmooker (2)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like all pipetobacco's from denmark, this is a great tobacco to smooke. Here in belgium all kinds of Albo tobacco are not hard to find, and I smooke them all regular.Looking foreward to smooke American blends, but we don't have them over here and they are hard to find. Anyway, all blends of Alsbo are great and usefull to try them all!

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A friend from overseas sent me several Orlik tobacco blends to enjoy and/or try that are not readily available in the USA. I think this one is, but am not sure.

This tobacco tasted more like Almond Extract to me. I can certainly tout it as one aromatic lovers would enjoy simply because the added flavoring is there in droves.

Caution; this one is pretty soppy in the tin and will require many re-lights if you don't attempt to dry it out for about 24 hours in the open air first.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is a really mild aromatic, its surely good quality tobacco- it lights easily burns cool, doesnt bite, doesnt gurgle. A bit too mild for me though, you can only taste the casings when you light, they are an elusive sort, with a hint of vanilla. The tobacco flavour is really mild cavendish, with a hint of Virginia sweetness, but MILD. Shouldn't put the word mild in capitals even, its that mild. It leaves a wad of sticky dottle after an even slow burn, as with the other Alsbo blends. People love the aroma, as they should, it is after all an aromatic. But despite its obviously high quality, I'd prefer something a bit more interesting, Clan or Amphora. The Dutch aromatics seem a bit stronger tasting. Are all the Danish blends this mild?

============UPDATE=========================

I've surprised myself by buying this blend again. t still doesnt really taste of anything, but the aroma is lovely, and can be appreciated well by breathing the smoke out through the nose. I think the casings in this must be of the highest quality- they are not subtle, but smell really complex and delicious, far from the sugary monotone of most sticky vanilla aromatics. There does not seem to be any nicotene in this stuff, which is to my advantage when I decide to smoke my huge German porcelain pipe- it smokes for ages, and anything stronger than this would poison me before I finished the bowl. Must say, though, this blend always seems to get hot quite easily, although it never bites. Here again the porcelain pipe helps, the stem is so long that it can cool down anything, almost like a hookah.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

January 2006. Alsbo Black,if I was just starting out in the wonderful world of pipe smoking again,like I did 34 year's ago,I would most likely think this is a really great blend,but,it's not 34 year's ago and my taste's have definitely changed over the year's. Put it this way,if your new to pipe smoking or you enjoy really soft vanilla blend's then you'll most likely love this! For easy lighting,air out enough tobacco to fill your pipe bowl on paper for 20 min's.Then fill your pipe & light up,between 2 to 4 tamp's should be all that is required to get you smoking down to bowl's end.Along the way you'll discover just how mild this blend really is.

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Ok to me, being not a real aromatic lover - however I am not that anti-aromatic anymore. All is about medium on this tobacco, due to the cavendisch, I suppose. The flavoring is more or less discrete. Not a big thrill, not bad eather. So ... somewhat recommended.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a fine tobacco. Pouch says vanilla and hazelnut. Don?t know about the hazelnut, but this is a typical Danish cavendish aromatic with vanilla aroma. The taste however, is rather more like tobacco than dessert. Mild in strenghth and easy to smoke- typicaly Danish ?no problem? smoke. After a few bowls of English blends, I smoke this one to please my wife with ?something that doesn?t stink like that other stuff I smoke?. I smoke this to the end of the bowl, and it leaves nothing more than fine gray ashes and a nice smell to the room.

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I use to smoke Black Cavendish tobacco regularly and this one is a very good and mild one. Very mild and pleasant,easy and slow burning with a very nice aroma and room note.Very good in taste . Very easy to fill and pack. A pleasure to be smoked and smelled.

Cirdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cirdan (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One tends to leave aromatics in the trend to more refined tobaccos, learning the joys of fine Virginias and the rich Latakias - odes be payed to these all mighty Godessess of fumes. However, the love certain non-smokers demands the use of unoffensive smelling tobaccos. This is the best I know for such purposes. I wouldn't even call it an aromatic if I'd never crossed the path of someone smoking it. As a bonus, it actualy as TOBACCO in it, and it is GOOD, much above average, dispite it's wonderful room note - people turn their heads around sniffing like cockerspaniels - but not fruit-like, just pipesmoke. The rich cavendish smoke is delightful and rich. Never had a tongue-bite, as it is not wet as the so-called commercial aromatics. So I do keep it at hand and smoke it even when I'm alone.