Notifications
Clear all

Your tobacco selection setup?

Page 1 / 2

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

I don’t really have a rotation, as such. At least, not a strict sequence of tobaccos I smoke. However, I have my cabinet containing the 57 blends I smoke most often - though some of them don’t get sampled for months!

Then, there’s my “cellar”; really just a drawer with replacement jars of tobaccos already in my cabinet, plus other blends vying for a place on the shelves 😄

What does your setup look like?

1700933322-IMG_1710.jpeg
82 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I converted a never used bathroom in my basement into my cellar. I go in and pick out something to smoke and pick out the next one when I return the jar. I will have to post multiple times due to one pic at a time. 

This is Mac Baren, Watch City and assorted:

1700939327-IMG_5244.jpeg
4 Replies
Lager

Estimable Member

Ted, can I ask about the plastic bags around the tins? 

Thanks

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Sure, I vacuum seal tins in foodsaver bags when I get them for storage. It’s just a backup in case any seals fail, plus even sealed tins can leak a little. Take a new sealed tin and put it in a regular ziplock bag and open the bag in about four weeks. Chances are you’ll be able to get a little whiff of tobacco smell. Not always, but more often than many might think. My obsessive compulsive side wants to preserve the tobacco as good as possible. 

Lager

Estimable Member

Great idea Ted.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Do not need to put the sealed tin in a ziplock. The bottom of the cupboard where I stock the tins for aging has an evident, but not strong, latakia aroma that my wife hates.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

This is Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth:

1700939384-IMG_5245.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Sutliff, C&D and assorted:

1700939515-IMG_5246.jpeg
3 Replies

Eminent Member

had never thought of jarring pouch tobacco like your Paladin- I like that idea

Eminent Member

the bulk bag on the next to bottom shelf do you have it in it's original bag or have you have it in something else?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

If I don’t open and jar them right away, I vacuum seal bulk bags in an additional bag just for a little more piece of mind. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Speaks for itself:

1700939578-IMG_5247.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Finally, mostly Dan/HU:

1700939654-IMG_5248.jpeg
14 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Wow Ted, you'll need 9 lives to smoke all your stuff!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I know I’ve gotten a little carried away with it, but I like tobacco 🙂

Flip

Estimable Member

So, when dystopia hits, what's your address?! 🤗 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Detroit, we’re already living the dystopian dream! 😜

Flip

Estimable Member

I hear you--Detroit is not for pussies

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

That's more tobacco than I've ever seen. Wow impressive is not the word. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

To be fair, my collection is as much a result of time as anything else. I did a fairly large re-stock over the past few years and I only started buying some C&D in the last three years, but this room represents almost 25 years of accumulation. 

Reputable Member

What appears to be a gold foil bag, center-bottom, not sure if it's an Esoterica product but I've had those leak and dry out. A zip lock bag might be a good precaution for that too.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I have also found the Esoterica bags are not reliable, I always jarred immediately with those. That is DAN Castle Blend No. 2. 

ThinkinPipe

Estimable Member

You have more pipe tobacco then all the smoke shops in my county combined!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

And yet I still want more 🙂 Maybe I do have an illness. 

ThinkinPipe

Estimable Member

What's the oldest unopened tin in your cellar?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I had to think about that. It’s probably a tin of Erinmore Flake from the mid 1980’s that I got a few years ago from an estate. I fondle it occasionally and think about opening it, but so far it’s just waiting. I have a few different tobaccos jarred from the 1970’s. 

ThinkinPipe

Estimable Member

I need to be on the look out more 

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

Wow, Ted! That’s an impressive collection!

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Thanks!

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

Jars in a bookshelf in my office that's facing away from direct sunlight, and tins on a shelf in the closet. My collection is certainly not as big as what I've seen in this thread 😀

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I keep my tobacco in the original tins In two different locations. The main one is the bottom of a built in cupboard where I stock the tobacco for aging. Each tin is marked with the date of purchase if it has not a maker date code. There are more or less the equivalent of one hundred 50gr tins. Today there are exactly 114. Two times a year I select the tins I´ll smoke in the next six months, about 15-18, and take them to a cupboard at my working room. 2-3 weeks before smoking I open the tin and transfer the content to a big jar with enough air to let the tobacco breathe and relax after several years of aging. The picture is of the drawer where I keep the tobacco for my next smokes.

1701115996-Unknown.jpg
9 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I put my tobacco straight into jars, as soon as I get it. Do you think that’s a good idea? Or should I leave them in the original tins if I don’t plan on smoking them for a while?

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I recognize that I'm thinking in your approach to keep tobacco since I read your post, and I´ll try it. I´ll do it with two same batch identical tins for a year, one in your way and the other with mine.

I do this because of my experience with tobacco and wine. They are very different things, but they have many many points in common. 

In my experience, it is a fact that recently packed tobacco hasn´t yet developed it´s potential. Same with wine. A lot of things happen into a tobacco tin during the first six months from packed, and will continue happening but with less intensity over the time. All these things contribute to develop flavors and ad complexity, but not all tobaccos age in the same way and at the same speed, again like wine. So, I think the ideal place to age tobacco is a well sealed tin, like a bottle is the ideal place for wine.

Again in my experience, a just opened tobacco tin provides a not very nice tobacco to smoke. Maybe too moist, or too dry. The lack of air for years make it opaque, inexpressive, rare. Same with wine. Flavors develop in presence of air, and a well matured tobacco needs to breathe. In a serious wine taste, wine is transferred to a decanter to air it. 

I noticed that highly pressed tobacco in a tin needs more areation than one packed more loose. A clear example are many Rattray tobaccos packed pressed in 50 gr tins and more loose in the 100gr tins. It´s the very same tobacco, but behaves a bit different. 100gr tins need just a couple of days in a jar to get their complete expression.

Of course I´m not a scientist and my appreciations are subjective, based in my personal experience and taste.

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

That’s definitely the thinking behind why I immediately put them in jars. I’ve also read that it’s good to occasionally open the jars to let the tobacco “breathe”. I’m not sure if it’s true, but I like to occasionally experience the aroma of different tobaccos, so I open the jars anyway.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I also open the jar from time to time, shake it, and of course I enjoy smeling the tobacco.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Yesterday I purchased 2 tins of Gawith Hogart Balkan Mixture to make the experiment I told you to compare my method with yours. One of the tins will be unopened until let´s say November 15 2024, then transferred to a jar until December 6 2024.

I have just opened the other and transferred to a jar. (As usually with Gawith and Gawith Hogart the tobacco was too moist for my taste). I´ll smoke from both next December 6 2024 and see which provided the best results. I´ll let you know. It would be interesting you do the same with other different tobacco if you are curious about the results.

I chose this tobacco because I have never smoked it, so I will not have any preconceived ideas when I smoke to compare. The second reason to choose this tobacco is because Rattray's is now very scarce in Spain and the tobacconist say there will be out of the shelves for a long time. I´m purchasing some tobaccos to try and find substitutes to my beloved Black Mallory and Red Rapparee. I don't know if the recent corporate movements in Kolhasse & Kopp, now renamed Koop Tobaccos, after the Kolhasse brothers leaved K&K for differences with the future plans of the company, has something too see with the scarcity of their tobaccos in Spain. I heard the rumor that a big American Company, maybe C&D is going to take the Kolhasse brothers shares of K&K. Do you know something?

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

That’s an interesting experiment, for sure. I’m very curious about the results. Only a year to wait! 😄

I have a couple of tins of tobacco that I couldn’t fit into jars (they only hold around 100g), so I left them in my tobacco drawer. I think I’ll join you in the experiment and try them next year. Let’s compare notes when we finally open them!

I don’t know anything about the K&K takeover, but I’m curious to know what they plan on doing. They produce some great blends, so I hope that continues with either them or a different owner.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Remember that the unopened tin, must be transferred to a jar about 3 weeks before smoke.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

The one in the jar

1702074243-Unknown.jpeg
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Yesterday I was too lazy to take pictures

1702074147-Unknown-1.jpeg
Lager
Estimable Member

Yup TAD can be habit forming. Lol

1701535485-20230627_091718.jpg
3 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Nice! 😊👍

Flip

Estimable Member

That's a great pipe collection! I particularly like that Holmes pipe cabinet--nice find.

Lager

Estimable Member

Thanks Flip. My ex bought that for me back in the 80's. 

Joseph
Prominent Member

My tobacco selection setup? Simple really. I only have 6 aromatics, 2 Virginias and 6 English open. So, they're all right there on the shelf with my pipes for me to pick from. My "cellar" is just 2 boxes under my desk, one box of stuff I can open any time, and one box of stuff I want to save for years.

3 Replies
Joseph

Prominent Member

Update: As of today, my tobacco shelf selection has expanded to 50 opened blends, and still rapidly growing. Maybe that’s one reason my pipe collection has NOT been growing. 😐 That, and my wife wonders why 15 pipes isn’t enough. 😂

1712217188-IMG_3382.jpeg
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Nicely organized and very inviting. With everybody’s posts, mine looks all the more disheveled. 15 pipes is like getting a few French fries from someone, it’s difficult to not want your own order of them. Your wife should be able to understand that. 🙂

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Nice and well jarred collection!!!.

Mine does not wonder anything, just because she doesn't know almost nothing. As the Spanish proverb says "Ojos que no ven, corazón que no quiebra" Eyes that do not see, heart that does not break.

Nick R
Noble Member

Those are some impressive collections! Mine is not so photo worthy... yet. I have 1 shelf in the closet with about 10 daily users- mostly aromatics. I have some jars in the basement that I celler. At work, I converted 1 drawer of my file cabinet into a makeshift humidor. In that I keep a few tins of aromatics, some small bags of local blends, 1 Plum Pudding, 1 vaper and some extra corn cobs- just in case I can find a convert.

Rene12
Honorable Member

This is my small tobacco cupboard. 

1704471842-IMG20240105171808.jpg
Eminent Member

Can anyone tell me how to put up pictures here?

Thanks!

10 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Underneath the text box that you type in, it says Attach file: just click Choose File under that. You can post a photo from your phone or any image file. 

Eminent Member

Thanks Ted...only it doesn't.... 😐 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

What files are you attaching? (.jpeg…?)

Eminent Member

yes, but I don't get the Attach Files"logo

Eminent Member

This "attach file" was of course what I was looking for but no, it just isn't there. I could take a picture with my phone of the pc screen I am typing this on to show you but then I woudn't be able to put it up...

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

What phone and browser are you using?

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Sorry, I deleted the previous post as I thought you might think it was patronising. I’ll put it back here so your previous reply doesn’t look out of place 😊

1705781860-IMG_1818.jpeg

Eminent Member

Very helpful Lee, but that just isn't there on my screen. I am using a desktop with Chrome. logging in via my phone (Android) gives "something is wrong with your data in very small print

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

You could always access tobaccoreviews.com forums on your phone and do it from there.

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

It must be because you only have a few posts. Post some more and all will be well, I’m sure 😊

Eminent Member

My latest comment to Lee, about how there is no Attach File logo under my text box is now awaiting moderation...

Eminent Member

Whaddaya know, the "attach File" option has been added 😍 Thank you TR!

Eminent Member

So...my humble stash 😎 

All four are from Dein Tabak and the last two on the right are their latest offerings, White Flake and Dark Flake.

1706033398-1706033081443.jpg
1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

You’re up and running! 😊

Nice pic! I look forward to you posting more pics in future, now that you can!

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

My expanding collection of tobacco blends needed an extra cabinet, so I bought one from IKEA, to match the first one. Space limits dictated it was smaller, so I decided to put my 26 Latakia blends in there, which only just fit!

1711762845-IMG_1983.jpeg
Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

The other 66 jars are arranged in the larger cabinet. Straight Virginias on the bottom shelf, Kentucky and Burley blends on the middle shelf, Perique blends on the top shelf. Again, they only just fit! 😄 

1711762996-IMG_1984.jpeg
5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Nice! Very Danish, clean and precise setup. 😃

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Yes, I’m probably on the spectrum somewhere, though I’ve never been tested. My younger brother has Asperger’s, as does his son. I’ve definitely got a tendency to be meticulous about things and I’m naturally averse to chaos! Not quite OCD-level, but close! 😄

I like both Danish and Japanese design: Simple, clean and beautiful. Life is complicated enough! I think our environment is better when it’s designed to counterbalance that 😊

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I totally agree. I actually have a lot of vintage Danish furniture in my house. I really appreciate the, what I would describe as, minimalist elegance.

When I was a teenager, I worked part time for a furniture store called “House of Denmark”. I would see the most beautiful, elegant pieces come through there. I’ve been hooked on the aesthetic since. 

I have the problem of being hyper focused on meticulous details to the point of obsession, while I’m almost oblivious to large picture chaos. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

If I had your setup, it would be fairly crudely packed in, but if a label on a jar was crooked. It would drive me mad. 🙂

Joseph

Prominent Member

Wow!🤩

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Holy smokes, I'm such an amateur after looking at some of these pics. I think Ted's got more product than the tobacconists I frequent.

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Gotta be ready for a major world event, economic crash, war, zombie apocalypse… 🙂

In truth, time can result in a pretty substantial collection of tobacco. It starts piling up as the years go by. 

nach0

Noble Member

He could open the best Internet tobacco store for sure!!!

Page 1 / 2

target="_blank"