Notifications
Clear all

What Are You Smoking? May, 2024

Page 1 / 7

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I just posted this in the April thread, then realized it’s May! I’m on my second bowl of Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake. Smoking it in a an antique French meerschaum.

1714538351-IMG_4600.jpeg
333 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

Starting May smoking Hill of Slane from Sutliff in my usual corn cob, i'm pairing it with coffee and cream. 😎 

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m back to smoking my Rougaroux/DAC/Krumovgrad blend in a Karlheinz Joura. I’ve been away from it for a week or so and I realize that I’ve been missing the DAC with everything else I’ve been smoking. I’m going to blend up a big new batch of it tonight.

1714588764-IMG_5717.jpeg
Joseph
Prominent Member

Seattle Pipe Club "Give Me Liberty" in "Chip"

1 Reply
Relight

Prominent Member

Poor Chip. You're working him to death. 😂

Joseph
Prominent Member

50/50 blend of C&D Green River Vanilla and Milan Sunset Rum ...in Chip ...he's taking it all in stride ...sweeter by the bowl. 🙂 

1 Reply
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

I'm smoking some Haunted Bookshop tonight. Haven't had it in awhile. Oh in my Ukrainian

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

Started May with a couple of classics. Irish Flake, in a Savinelli bent Dublin, (I was humming “Danny Boy” whilst puffing!) And, Hal o’ the Wynd, in a Rossi Prince. A solid start to the month! 😊

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Still smoking my own blend. In fact it was time to de-rib some leaves and make another batch. 

1714616327-IMG_6213.jpeg
2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Which tobacco are this one?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Sorry, I didn’t see your comment sooner. The lighter colored one is Krumovgrad, an oriental and the darker, longer ones in back that the ribs came from are Dark Air Cured. 

ATW
Reputable Member

Late work night bowl of C&D Bijou in my Rhodesian 

Joseph
Prominent Member

KBV KRAKEN BAR in Chip

…followed by late night G. L. Pease Quiet Nights in Chip

…followed by dropping Chip on cement patio 😱😳🤯😩

…goodbye Chip 😭

1714634646-IMG_3441.jpeg
14 Replies
Joseph

Prominent Member

I was only drinking water… honest… 🤥🤥🤥

[Edit: well the water might have been brown with a little rye in it]

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

How sad 🙁. You’ve had the full range of everything that can go wrong with an amber stemmed meerschaum pipe all within a week. I’m sorry to see that. 

nach0

Noble Member

Oh no!! ☹️ 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Very sorry to see this. I´d try loctite Super glue. It performs miracles. One of my Savinelly Nonpareil 9121 was fixed with it and you have to inspect the pipe very closely to realize it.

Joseph

Prominent Member

He's lying "in state" in his case on a fleece cloth on my tobacco shelf. I have half a mind to attempt a Dr Frankenstein resurrection. @Ted gave me the proper technique and bonding material for the amber. That I think I could handle.

But, I just can't see how a clean break between bowl and shank can be repaired back to anything but an "ornamental" condition... The bond should ideally have the same strength, heat transfer and moisture permeability properties as the meerschaum. Plaster of Paris? Clay? A slurry of meerschaum paste and some special glue? I'm clueless. It I just use a super glue that will turn to acrylic, that will be a vapor wall, and possibly a thermal wall, leading to ugly hard patina line at best, uneven thermal expansion and re-breakage at worst.

So, Chip lies in state until I decide to actually let him go... which seems inevitable.

I will get over it. The experience was worth it.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I have seen period repairs to meerschaum pipes that were broken like this, if fact I’m sure I have one I was going to show you, but I haven’t been able to find it. Broken shanks were a common damage, the way they were repaired was by gluing the two pieces together and then fitting a silver repair band over the break for extra strength. I have many that saw repairs like that. However, when broken right at the bowl like yours, obviously a band won’t work. What was done then, was to fashion a larger silver piece that would just be a tube on the shank end, but would be shaped to the bottom of the bowl to hug it and then glued in place. A bit of an undertaking for a non jeweler. 

However, it’s worth noting that they didn’t have access to modern epoxy based adhesives back then and the porous nature of meerschaum allows for incredibly strong glue joints now. Although I haven’t tried it, I wouldn’t be surprised if Opticon held it back together perfectly fine. If you feel the urge to try, there’s really nothing left to lose at this point. 

Joseph

Prominent Member

Very good to know! ...hmm 🤔 Opticon 330 for both amber and meerschaum. Not a project for today, but, I'm definitely going to give that a shot!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Just to leave complete information, I normally use PVA glue (Elmers, etc.) on meerschaum for repairs. Works great and reversible if needed. I question if it would be sufficient though at the spot where your pipe is broken. 

Relight

Prominent Member

I mean you didn't even try duct tape. I question your commitment. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

😄

Nick R

Noble Member

I just pored out some tobacco on the ground for Chip. 🙏😇

Relight

Prominent Member

Nooooooo

Joseph. This is something I'd do. But you're like careful and considerate a stuff. 😂

Poor Chip, he was a good pipe. RIP

ugdabug

Reputable Member

I don't know. If you name a meerschaum pipe "chip" you're kind of asking for it aren't you? 🤣 

Joseph

Prominent Member

🤣…the name came after (the first mishap, not the drop).

nach0
Noble Member

Starting the day filling up my cob with C&D Blockade Runner. Pairing it with coffee 🤠 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Started May smoking Robert McConnell Oriental in a Savinelly 624 Fiammata.

ATW
Reputable Member

MM 965 in my peterson rocky 53

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I'm ending my day with some ODF in my Big Ben Olympic   Tough to load in the dark 😆.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Again with G.L. Pease Robusto in a Savinelli 623

Awfers
Estimable Member

Yesterday we had some new arrivals from Tabakfabrik Roth.

Jabuca Vanille - Virginia and Black Cavendish. From the bag, the vanilla aroma has a rather forward alcohol note to it. In the bowl, the vanilla blends well with the tobaccos. Like most of their tobaccos, when compared to industrial vanilla tobaccos from B&R, Mac Baren etc, it's much lighter on flavour, nicotine and strength. Burns quickly. It's ok.

Jabuca English Blend - Virginia and Burley with a bit of Black Cavendish and some Latakia, is also extremely lightly topped with what they call "Danish flavour". From the bag, the Latakia comes through most prominent, and there is a subtle hint of vanilla / nougat, but it's really faint. When smoked, it's a nice, light English. The topping disappears almost completely into the background, but it helps support the tobacco and gets rid of any harsh notes from the tobacco / dryness in the mouth. I like this, and will buy 500g of it for use as an every day / all day tobacco. It's even cheaper than Westminster (Fr. 186 per kilo, compared to Fr. 200 for the Westminster)

1 Reply
Relight

Prominent Member

Slight vanilla can go well on an English blend. I dig Britt's Balkan from 4 Noggins and always keep a little around. 

Relight
Prominent Member

Bob's Chocolate Flake in this Mario Grandi stubby brandy. I love both my Mario Grandi pipes. The poker is for Lancer's slices and this one BCF. My two most smoked blends. 

And I'm telling ya this 2010 BCF is just perfect. 

2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Bob's chocolate flake is the tobacco i like most. There is everything in its correct place in that blend.

Relight

Prominent Member

Me too, Nacho. It was the first blend I fell entirely in love with. I think if I was a codger who smoked the same blend all day every day it might be BCF. 

PaulT
Estimable Member

Lunchtime bowl of HH Mac Baren Latakia Flake. 

1714760699-0dc0899eff1db05870c4.jpg
Jimmyyuma
Estimable Member

I just opened a fresh tin of Pipe Force EP VI and got a surprise! I didn't even know this was a thing! I searched it and read on Reddit that it's 1 in 10 tins have one, I think this is the 6th or 7th tin I've opened. 

Pretty cool 😎 

1714764168-PXL_20240503_191107294.jpg
5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I’m jealous! 😃 I have yet to find a coin. 

nach0

Noble Member

That is nice of them!! 🤩 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I want one! I bought 10 tins, so 🤞

Jimmyyuma

Estimable Member

The tin with the coin will be noticably heavier because coin weighs about an ounce! 👍 Good luck! 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I really hope one of the 2 tins I offered in a swap didn’t have a coin in it! 😄 I didn’t know about it until now, or I would’ve checked the weight.

Joseph
Prominent Member

First tasting. KBV “Dread Knight” in my 1959 Dunhill Root Briar bent billiard. This is yet another nod to early-mid 20th century premium Balkan blends. Tin note is similar to the Black House and Opus Magnum which I’ve also recently had for the first time. This one has a licorice topping and Black Burley cavendish to achieve the desired effect.

1714792688-IMG_3446.jpeg
1 Reply
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Oooh I have to try that one. I like licorice. Sounds good.

nach0
Noble Member

I got a strong flu so i'm not smoking any tobacco til i can feel some taste and smell again. For now i'm happy reading the forum and thinking which baccy gonna be my next order.

4 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Get well soon, mate! 🙏

nach0

Noble Member

Tnks my friend. A day or 2 and i'll be back in the game puffing hard 😤 😎 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Get well soon. 

nach0