Cornell & Diehl

Notifications
Clear all

Cornell & Diehl

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m not ashamed to admit, I’m fast becoming a fanboy of C&D! There, I’ve said it! 😄

They make some excellent blends and they’re constantly looking to innovate and improve. There are a few blends of theirs I’m looking at acquiring and I would be grateful for any opinions from those who’ve already tried them. For example:

Dreams of Kadith

Sansepolcro

XX Dark Flake 

Any others you’d recommend?

18 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

There is no C&D tobacco that i can consider bad. 

The most recent one that touched my heart was Blockade Runner.

4 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

They have so many great blends that everyone will find something they like from their collection. I love the Virginia and Perique tobaccos they use in blends. Sweet, fruity, peppery and delicious! 😊

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

You have to try Black Frigate if you haven't already. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I haven’t tried it yet, but several people have recommended it now, so it’s high on my shopping list.

nach0

Noble Member

I know the blockade runner is part of the mix, i´m very curious about it. I´ll grab a tin as soon as possible!! Your advice just reinforces the idea! 🍻 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

They got me with the marketing on their H. P. Lovecraft inspired blends, which of course includes Dreams of Kadath and the blends all did sound interesting from the standpoint of the tobacco used, but I have yet to try any of them. 

1709065601-IMG_5614.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Some standouts to me are Black Frigate, which I believe is based on Blockade Runner, but with the addition of orientals and Latakia. Gentleman Caller is another and their other deer’s tongue blend, Crooner, which I often sprinkle into other tobaccos for a little boost, as well as Billy Budd and Billy Budd Blond. 

In thinking about it, there are a number of blends they manufacture that I really like, including many of the G. L. Pease blends, Savinelli 140th and a number of the Warped blends. 

Overall I’ve enjoyed their limited edition blends quite a bit, possibly far more than their regular offerings in many cases, of which Sansepolcro is one and I still have a couple of tins of that from an earlier release. 

Nick R
Noble Member

Lee, since you enjoy their perique blends, I really like King Cake. Its a cross between an aromatic and a VaPer. The rum topping is light but makes it taste somewhat cake-like. I enjoy quite a few of C&D blends and I don't know of one that I really dislike.  My wife smokes Green River Vanilla almost exclusively.

2 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I’ll put it on my list 😊 I’ve bought a lot of tobacco recently, though. So, it’ll have to wait. There are just too many wonderful blends waiting for me to try!

Nick R

Noble Member

You and me both! I need a second income to fully satisfy my ever-growing list 😀  

Joseph
Prominent Member

Ha, Ha! The only C&D branded tobacco I currently smoke is Green River Vanilla, and I usually spike it with other aromatics because it's gotten kind of boring to me on it's own. But, it's great mixed 2-to-1 with any other tobacco I've tried it with. A great mild burley cavendish vanilla.

But, to pull back the curtain... Almost all the brands I know and love have been PRODUCED by the C&D team for a long time. G. L. Pease and Drucquer & Sons in particular account for 4 of my top 5 favorite blends and most of my cellar. And, since they're also owned by Laudisi, it's unclear to me whether or not they are producing (for the USA market, anyway) other brands also - like Kohlhase & Kopp. If so, they're doing the heavy lifting to bring me 8 of my top 10 tobaccos! More power to 'em, I say!

So, in my book, there's no shame in coming out in the open as loving Cornell & Diehl blends. 😍 

It seems to me the guardians of the legacy of beloved pipe tobacco blends have been reduced to two - Laudisi and Mac Baren.

Postscript: Personally, I try to go out of my way to support independent blenders, too - like Boswell and The Country Squire - but you have to hunt for them and order directly from them. They account for the other 2 of my top 10 blends.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

The limited availability of C&D tobacco in Europe is a thorn in my side. They really do have blends par excellence. We have some great tobaccos here, but there's something really alluring about what C&D is doing, especially in regards to perique. 

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I couldn’t agree more! 😊

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

The main tobacconist in Denmark - The Danish Pipe Shop - have started selling Cornell & Diehl blends!!!
Absolutely fantastic that they’re branching out a bit. It was starting to get to the point where I have a greater variety of tobaccos than they do! 😄

https://www.danishpipeshop.com/l/Tobacco/Cornell-Diehl-

Breihz
Estimable Member

Sadly Cornell & Diehl is not available anywhere here in Ireland. We are at the mercy of whatever the newsagents/petrol stations sell for commercial brands, which is usually very limited... B&H Virginia, Condor, Clan & rarely Mick McQuaid. For Fox's its themselves in Dublin online, haven't found Petersons online anywhere in Ireland as yet... which is mad as They make their pipes in Dublin, but don't sell their tobacco online! 

3 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Can you order online from Germany?

They don’t ship to Denmark, sadly. The tobacco cartels have made it illegal - because tobacco is half the price in Germany compared to Denmark. They also have more choice, including blends that are made in Denmark, but not sold here (how mad is that? It irritates me every time I remember it!)

This German online tobacconist is pretty good. They also sell some Cornell & Diehl blends:

https://www.pfeifen-shop-online.de/epages/63781481.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F63781481

Breihz

Estimable Member

That particular shop won't ship anywhere within the EU outside of Germany unfortunately. I do buy tobacco from Zechbauer in Munich but they don't have a complete range. I ordered a number of various blends last week & am awaiting their arrival impatiently. I've bought cigars from them successfully so no reason why the pipe tobacco won't arrive too... I'll keep you posted!

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Good luck! 🤞 

target="_blank"