Forums

American pipe tobac...

Notifications
Clear all

American pipe tobacco - similarities to the Beer Craft Brewing revolution?

Awfers
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I had my first bowl of C&D Autumn Evening two evenings ago and I was greatly surprised how it was not an overbearingly, sickeningly sweet blend (like some heavily topped Danish can be). It was actually quite pleasant and enjoyable.

So, I couldn't help but wonder if there is a parallel to be drawn between smaller companies in the US creating better pipe tobaccos and the rise of craft breweries (first in the US in the 80s/90s, then here in Europe in the 00s). In essence, creating better products when compared to those produced by the large conglomerates.

2 Replies
Nick R
Noble Member

I hail from the micro brew capital of the world in Colorado, where they say there are more micro / craft breweries per capita than anywhere else. I have not verified that fact but there is a local brewer seemingly on  every corner. I don't drink anymore, but when I imbibed, there was an endless variety of flavors and strengths of beer to enjoy. I do see a parallel in smaller pipe tobacco companies. Cornell and Diehl reminds me of New Belgium Brewing in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Started small then grew to national and then international recognition.  No where near the size of the big companies but quite well known and available.  Their offerings also seem similar in variety and offering their own twist on things. Autumn Evening is the tobacco equivalent of Fat Tire Amber Ale. A good trend that I hope continues.

Relight
Honorable Member

Maybe Ken Byron is a microbrewer? 

target="_blank"