Forums

Statement from the ...

Notifications
Clear all

Statement from the Tobacco Reviews team

Terry-TobaccoReviewsAdmin
Topic starter

Hi all, 

We’ve tried to be transparent since this roll out began, updating through the forum as we've continued testing and troubleshooting issues with the site, but thought it would be best to also have this post singularly addressing what’s gone on the last few weeks. 

Let’s start with a simple acknowledgement, the roll out was a mess. Even as functionality has improved and we’ve been able to reintroduce features, we know much is still messy and being addressed. This isn’t any secret, but we do want to explicitly own it. To put it simply, we ran into critical issues on the back end. Much of the technology the site was built on was no longer supported, and while we did plenty of testing in our staging environment before the switch, well, things fell apart. 

No data was lost and any information saved with your profile—wishlists, favorites, reviews—it’s there and will be available if it isn’t already. We know many were disappointed, and we apologize for that, but in functionality, this will be the site it was, as well as a community in our forum and a place to access over a decade—44 issues—of Pipes & Tobacco Magazine in digital form. We also will be running the site as a present and responsive host, and will hopefully offer even more, but not at the expense of the primary purpose of TR as a place for reviews. That said, we are so grateful for your patience while full functionality is realized and thank those who have shown understanding these weeks and have engaged on the forums. 

More to come

Best, 

Tobacco Reviews

15 Replies

Good luck. I'm excited to hear that that the issues of Pipes & Tobacco Magazine will be on line here.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Good luck on continued progress. I have been happy to see what has been coming out.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

Appreciate the hard work. The old site had a lot of problems, so even if this roll out has been rocky I am looking forward to all the improvements. The forums are an especially welcome addition. I think I speak for many when I say that we pipe smokers are more patient than most. Rather it be done right than rushed and broken.

Ithian
Estimable Member

I'm very very happy with this site now and it far exceeds my expectations. I found the old website dated and was hoping for a revamp at some point. So when you guys started the work, I was more than thrilled and still am. More excited about all that's to come as well!

Good things take time. And given that this site is free, no user has the right to complain.

DeathMetal.org
Estimable Member

I have known a lot of site rollouts, and they never go smoothly. Looks like most stuff is mostly working. Thank you all for your hard work!

Topic starter

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It does mean a lot to me!

Pope

Hello and thanks for this message and the visual updates. The site looks much better. A specific question I have: will we be able to sort reviews again? This is my main pet peeve right now as I would love to sort by new... Thanks

1 Reply

Yes, this will be coming.

bullmtl

Have posted a few reviews here, but am unfamiliar with process of changing email address.

Lost access to @aim.com account so would like to convert old posts etc. to present email address...

1 Reply

Message us in the contact us and I'll respond.

Old Tom
Trusted Member

Even if the rollout was a mess, pipe smokers are nothing if not patient. Though I've been too busy to spend much time on it recently, the site is looking great now. 

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

Terry, I want to report a bug I found. If you check my review for Samuel Gawith's Black Forest, you'll see that backslashes have appeared before any apostrophe I've written. If I try to edit again it wants to add an additional 2 backslashes, making 3 backslashes before any apostrophe.

2 Replies

Will look into.

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

I left the review up as is, in case that helps. The problem occurred for me on mobile and desktop. 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

Happy with the new site.  This community needed a good forum.  Iv already had some great and rewarding tobacco recommendations.   Just great have some correspondence with my fellow pipers.  Thanks.   

target="_blank"