Forums

Notifications
Clear all

One of *those* days

Relight
Topic starter
Honorable Member

Today's been one of those days when nothing tastes good. 

Every blend I try tastes like swimming pool water or something.

Certainly not the first time. It used to happen occasionally with cigars too. 

Ever happen to you? 

What's your theory? 

17 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I have those days, sometimes I can figure out why, often not. It’s always a disappointment to me, getting robbed of a day of some of the few pleasures I have while enduring existence. 

Relight
Topic starter
Honorable Member

Yes exactly. 

And it does no good to chase it. 

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Exactly. I used to try different techniques, stick my nose in a bag of coffee, listerine mouthwash, gargling with vinegar. Never changes it, only waiting. 

nach0

Noble Member

If somehow my second smoke of the day shows up dull like the first one i wont try the 3rd.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Today has been one of those days. I smoked GL Pease Robusto, one of my preferred blends, but tasted different, in an unpleasant way. Changed the pipe, but still the same sensation. It´s not the first time it happens and also with other blends. The only explanation I find is stress. Too many worries, too many problems to solve. This stress leads to smoke in a different form, without concentration in the pleasure of tasting tobacco nuances. That makes everything taste bad.

It´s very disappointing to waste a bowl of a great tobacco that is now impossible to get in Spain.

Rene12
Honorable Member

It happens to me too. If it does I smoke very little or not at all for a day or two, that usually fixes things for a while.

Awfers
Estimable Member

Been experiencing this too lately, but have been ill at the same time (likely the most recent version of Covid, exhaustion, stomach problems, cough, sinus problems, and loss of sense of taste being the worst. It never turned into a full flu, more just hanging in the back being very annoying).

Nick R
Noble Member

This does happen. I hate when one of my favorite tobaccos yields little more then bland smoke. I am too stubborn to stop trying, however. I will power through demanding compliance from my taste buds and the tobacco. The tobacco doesn't listen and I often end up scorching my tongue. 

2 Replies
Relight

Honorable Member

I smoked a bowl of OJK last night before bed. If that doesn't burn off the funk nothing will. 🤣 

Joseph

Prominent Member

…yet to try Old Joe Krantz. One day, when I get around to ordering some more Cornell & Diehl. …it’s on the list. A recent 20% off sale on C&D at SmokingPipes.com got me all excited to stock up, but EVERYTHING on my list was sold out by the time I got around to it. 😥 …not a high priority …there’s always a next sale.

Joseph
Prominent Member

Ha, ha! … me, too. Not often, but once in awhile. Usually from a cold or bad aftertaste combos with food or previous smokes. 😅 …well, if we’re all in the same boat, at least we’re in good company 😎

5 Replies
Relight

Honorable Member

I think we should talk about pipe smoking fails more often. 

If one believed what they typically see on the internet you'd think every pipe smoker is lighting their pipe with a snap of their fingers and smoking it down to that "fine white ash with no dottle " every time.

Smoking a pipe can be tricky. I screw it up all the time. Like this morning for example. 😂

Joseph

Prominent Member

What!?! You don’t light your pipe with your finger like Gandalf?!? 🤣🤣🤣

nach0

Noble Member

Usually i face more mismatching with the drink i´m pairing. So every time i feel the smoke wasn´t that good i can put the blame on the drink that didn´t match instead putting the blame on the tobacco that is my friend.  hahahahahaha 

Relight

Honorable Member

So it's the store brand diet root beer's fault?

Figures! 🤣

nach0

Noble Member

For sure, never the tobacco!!!  hahahahahaha 🤣 🤣 🤣 

brando71

It happens to me too, from time to time. Called "tobacco fatigue", it's an inexplicable mystery...

target="_blank"