Forums

Breath-smoking and ...

Notifications
Clear all

Breath-smoking and flakes

DeathMetal.org
Topic starter
Estimable Member

The more I smoke, the more I have found that I enjoy the old school method of smoking curly cut, flakes, or plugs with the breath smoking method, where you insert the pipe in your mouth and breathe through your nose, letting capillary pressure draw the smoke over your tongue in a gentle and steady stream. Compressed tobaccos just seem to burn better, and I am especially fond of flakes from Gawith Hoggarth and the amazing curly cuts from Mac Baren like "Dark Twist," "Stockton," and the Mac Baren blended "Doblone d'Oro" from Savinelli.

14 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I use breath smoking, but from time to time I open my mouth to let just a bit of air mix with the smoke to get an extra dose of flavor.

2 Replies
Nagellan

Hello. Do you think when using breathing techniques you inhale too much smoke into your lungs like smoking cigarettes? 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Breath smoking is much different from smoking a cigarette. A cigarette smoke is inhaled deep into your body, and I suppose it reach lungs. Breath smoke is about taste and smell the smoke.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

I have been through it all. Only flakes folded and stuffed, then rubbed out, then back again. I now just enjoy variety. So many options.

patfromchicago

Hey guys, I'm a newbie.  I tried the pipe before but quit because it was not a pleasant experience.  Although I tried it again using the breathing method and now I am enjoying the pipe!

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I saw Muttnchop's video on the breath method and try to use it when I'm clenching my pipe. But more often than not I keep my pipe in my hand. This slows me way down. 

Jimmyyuma
Estimable Member

Perhaps one day I will master that art, but after smoking cigarettes for 50 years and replacing it with a pipe I find myself puffing like a mad man just to get the nicotine. A number of good inhales of some high octane tobacco and I'm good for a while. I'm currently waiting for a delivery of some higher nicotine content and maybe that will slow me down...or not.😂👍. I'm just happy to be getting away from the evil and expensive cigarettes! 🚭

4 Replies
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Let me suggest Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Flake Aromatic. It has nicotine and then some. Lol.  But be forwarded.

Jimmyyuma

Estimable Member

👍 I'll add it to my list! Thanks for the suggestion! These 3 are arriving on Tuesday and I'm looking forward to them all. 

1704633501-Screenshot_20240107-061443.png
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Look for a tin of Torben Dansk Orient Spezialitat and mix with Peterson Irish flake. The Camel cigarettes you smoked have Oriental tobacco in it´s recipe. Irish flake will give you the nicotine blast you like, and the Orientals will make the smoke more familiar to you.

Jimmyyuma

Estimable Member

👍 I'm adding it to my list, thanks! 

May i ask how you fellows prepare , pack and smoke a mild navy flake. I have some but cant seem to get the technique right. Do you fold, twist , hand rub separate or what? 

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

If it’s a true flake, the thin European cut type like, say Mac Baren Navy flake or many others, I fold one by doubling or tripling it lengthwise, then fold it in half, then squeeze it repeatedly to loosen it up, then set it out to dry for a while. When I feel it’s sufficiently dry, I slide it into the bowl with just enough pressure for it to touch the sides. 

From my experience, most problems in folding flakes occur because of overpacking/too much density. The tobacco will expand, often considerably, as it is being lit and smoked and choke the airflow. 

brando71

Rather than breath smoking, if Deathmetal.org refers to the process of blowing a portion of the smoke through the nose, I would call this technique as "retrohaling". Same technique is often used by the cigars aficionados... I use it most of the time when smoking a pipe and I think that it exalt the nuances of the mixtures.

target="_blank"