Forums

¿Why new squat bull...

Notifications
Clear all

¿Why new squat bulldog pipes are so scarce?

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

Squat bulldog is my favorite pipe shape for many reasons. Love the aesthetics, allows for 40-50 minutes of pleasure, (It´s just the optimum time for me), they are excellent smokers...

Well, I ned almost five years to get 2 Dunhill (3108 and 4117) and 2 Castello (Shape 54 and 58). These models are permanently sold out, in almost any finish, so they sell very well, why then are so scarce?. The makers don't like to make them?. 

If you want to get any other shape, you have plenty of offer of both brands. Even if you make a search in leading pipe webs, you'll probably notice pipes that aren't sold for months. Which is the problem with squat bulldog then?.

11 Replies
Estimable Member

That, my friend, is a very good question. My guess is that, as with anything artistic, style is subject to the whim of fashion. 

We live in an age of freehands, and blowfishes, and who knows how to even describe them.

And with the classics, we're stuck with billiard after apple after pot after prince (now I do love princes, so that is okay). Oh, we can toss an Author or two in there as well.

But the classic Bulldog or the squat Bulldog, no. Chimney Bulldogs or some other manifestation? They are legion.

Now I scored a lucky find and have a squat estate Jobey coming. 

So maybe venture beyond Dunhill and Costello and you might be able to snare a nice estate squat Bulldog.

I do, though, share your pain. One of the best shapes ever. Sad to see it neglected.

4 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I also look for GBD and Sasieni squat bulldogs, but they are scarcer that Dunhill or Castello ones, and even more expensive!.

Estimable Member

The GBD unsmoked I just picked up was just under $150. But it's the first I've seen this year.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

You were double lucky. You got a nice and rare piece and paid a very good price. I would happily pay more

Estimable Member

I feel very lucky. It's a beautiful pipe. I don't plan on smoking it. The pipe will go in my GBD collection. It's a piece of fine art. 

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

The answer is because on a factory pipe, it is a very difficult shape to finish out. You could finish many other classic shapes in the time it takes to finish a single squat bulldog. All of those lines need to be maintained. The bead lines have to be added after shaping, an entire step not required on most shapes. We know they sell well, but they are more time consuming and they cost the same amount, so it is typically a matter of economics.

Jon Bennett

Probably due to over breeding.

1 Reply
Joseph

Prominent Member

Posted by: Jon Bennett

Probably due to over breeding.

...and drool ...bulldogs drool something aweful 🤣 

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

Chacom makes a squat bulldog, but it's tiny which makes it feel more like a pug. 

2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

🤣 🤣 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Chacom makes four variations of squat bulldog. I don´t like any. Ugly matte finish and too long stem.

Dunhill, Castello, Sasieni, GBD, Mauro Gilli make nice ones.

target="_blank"