Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Nice rack

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

I've always kept my pipes on a shelf sitting on their own or in homemade rests.

But I've been fancying a rack. The typical wooden ones don't thrill me. I could make one. I am a competent woodworker. But I lacked inspiration. 

I've been letting it stew. Evaluating everything I see for potential. I tried bearings and magnets but damned if I can find strong enough magnets. I even experimented with clothespins. 

Yesterday I was digging for something in the utility room and saw a door to a cheap shelf /cabinet thing we use in a spare bathroom. It kept falling off so I abandoned it.

As soon as I saw it I knew. 

I present to you my reclaimed pipe rack. 

I showed you mine. Now show me yours. 

1714929785-20240505_110420.jpg
5 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Nice! I appreciate pragmatism. I would show you mine if I could. I don’t use one. Many of my pipes are fairly large and/or long and few of them are consistent shapes. Never found any rack that worked for them. I use individual pipe holders in some cases, but many of the pipes in the group I’m smoking just lay on a side table. The pipes that aren’t in the group being smoked are in boxes, trays, drawers, plastic bins, bags, probably some laying on the floor that fell out of one of those containers. 

I have been contemplating building a rack that could accommodate the group I’m smoking and I have an idea, just haven’t moved forward with it yet. 

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

Great post! 😊 I don’t have a pipe rack myself, as they all sit in their individual leather holders on top of my two tobacco cabinets. They only just fit, though. So, after my next pipe purchase, I’m going to have to think about alternatives such as a rack. I could just add a shelf somewhere and continue with the individual pipe holders. I’ll see.

nach0
Noble Member

I like it. Such good idea! 👍 👍 

Joseph
Prominent Member

that scares me... doesn't look stable. lol

My pipes that are in rotation just sit on my tobacco shelf on a simple home-made "tray" (it's just a sanded and sealed pair of walnut boards) which I shaped to fit exactly over a cigar box I use to store pipe-related parapernalia. The rest are in individual boxes or in one of my two multi-pipe pouches. I may get around to making a wall-mounted case or shelf eventually - maybe more than one - depending on which particular pipes I want together, and how I want them situated.

I think I've shown them on other threads. I'm constantly adjusting and fiddling with how the pipes are arranged.

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

It's actually surprisingly sturdy. I figured I'd have to make a frame and legs for it. But I leaned it in that corner and it doesn't move. I still may at least put rubber feet or something on the bottom.

But then again if it did collapse it's not the first time any of those pipes encountered peril. 😂

target="_blank"