Forums

Other hobbies or ta...

Notifications
Clear all

Other hobbies or talents

Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

What else do y'all like to do or are you good at. 

Musicians? 

Artists?

Athletics? 

Whatever? 

I play guitar poorly. I've played for nearly 50 years and still suck. 😂

But I can play the hell out of cowboy chords and I write songs. Not good songs. Some old men take up painting seascapes, I write songs. But nothing worth hanging in the house.

34 Replies
Nick R
Noble Member

I have tried my hands at all sorts of things "Jack of all trades and master of none". I will confine my interests to those that relate (albeit loosely) to pipe smoking.

Fishing- fly fishing for fun, bass fishing for tournaments. Both see the pipe make an appearance. 

Golf- this one is easy, just substitute the cigar for a pipe. 

Hiking and mountain climbing- pipe in nature is a wonderful thing.

2 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

So you could take one of my 14er blends to the top of a 14er.

Nick R

Noble Member

Yes. Time and schedule willing I will do a couple 14ers this summer.

nach0
Noble Member

I'm fire juggler. This picture was 12 years ago. I don't have any better but i can do more. This is my second therapy. I like practicing 3 balls and big Staff also but i'm not that good. 

I love jiu-jitsu but in 2006 i had a big surgery in my shoulder and now i have 4 metal pieces for ever there so i don't do anything that can put my shoulder under any risk again. 

1715000697-526375_10200871940549361_1262748264_n.jpg
8 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

Wow!

A fire juggler!  

I can't even keep my damned pipe lit and you're juggling fire. 

That's way cool, Nacho. 

nach0

Noble Member

🤹‍♂️😎👽

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Damn, I wasn’t expecting that! Very cool! 😎 

nach0

Noble Member

I really love it. I'm not sure but i started in 2001 or 2002. Never stopped since them. I always keep a set in my car and a spare one in my home. 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Fire juggling, awesome. And I emphasize with the shoulder. I had a big shoulder surgery 30 years ago. 48 stitches and a bunch of metal later no problems yet. Except for metal detectors. 😆

nach0

Noble Member

Oh my friend, we are on the same page. I'm always afraid of getting stuck in metal detector and have to explain myself. Hahahahah 

Estimable Member

I have a metal shoulder also. I have necrotic shoulders at both sides and the left one was replaced by a futuristic metal. The right one will follow but I wait because of the long lasting rehab . And it is really painful and I had a few surgeries in the past

nach0

Noble Member

I think we are the three f*cked shoulders musketeers  

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I used to play guitar and built a few. My fingers don't work very well anymore. I boxed when I was young and did professional combat pistol shooting.  Since then it's been fishing and writing. 

2 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

Zig. I'm a guitar freak. Idive to see or hear about some of your builds some time. 

I also wanna hear more about @joeseph's vintage Martins. I  currently have 5 guitars. But it will surprise no one that I follow a similar path as I do pipes. My main players are a Gibson dread, a Martin 000, and a Recording King 0 12th fretter. All solid tone wood. All are really great guitars. And I didn't pay over a thousand dollars for any of them despite buying them new. 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

The last one I built was my favorite. Took a flat sided Les Paul mahogany body. Painted it in a light teal on the front with a pretty binding. The back was a tannish color. Installed nice locking tuners, made a bone nut. The fingerboard was rosewood. I put stainless steel Frets that were leveled and polished. I put in a nice set of humbuckers I got from a UK company. A pretty hot one in the bridge 16.9 if I remember. The neck one was a bluesy one at 8.5.  I put on a roller bridge and wired up a nice harness.

It was a great guitar. I must have a picture somewhere. I'll try to find it.

I also did a real nice strat stylewith hot rails. How I wish I could still play.

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Was a semi-pro musician back in the day but I would call it a hobby now. My basement is a small studio with everything you need: guitars, keys, drums, recording equipment. I think I'm up to 15 guitars or so. I call it the accidental collection.

My woodworking hobby segued into working in a shop, mainly CNC, various saws, hand tools, etc,. so I guess I did the opposite that I did with the music.

Crown land camping is a blast with all the fishing and whatever goes along with that.

I ride motorcycles.

Honestly, I had to give up a few hobbies years ago because I didn't have time for it all.

12 Replies
Relight

Prominent Member

15 is a few. 

What are some faves? 

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Nothing of any real vintage or crazy value.

If you like the acoustics I only have one but it's a nice older Ovation in a tobacco sunburst with a deeper bowl than the ones they're building now.

The rest are all electrics. Among them, '17 Gibson SG, '92 Gibson Explorer, '89 Strat Plus with lace sensor pick-ups, newer B.C.Rich Bich & Mockingbird ST, '90 Charvel 475 Special. 

I look at guitars as art as well so when I saw MINAREK guitars I knew I had to wade in so I grabbed 3 of them. There's no point in me trying to explain so it's best if you just go to their website.

Artsy, to say the least, and not for everyone but I love them and they play great to boot. 

https://www.minarikguitars.com/

Relight

Prominent Member

Way cool. 

I really really hope you have one of these. 

1715734121-Screenshot_20240514_184752_Chrome.jpg
ugdabug

Reputable Member

LOLOL I'd love to own it but no luck yet. What an awesome machine. No I've got a Lotus, Godess & Samhain.

ugdabug

Reputable Member

It looks like they've renamed the Lotus the Zenn and it still has a Lotus on the headstock so I guess I do actually have one just not quite the one in the pic. I think I might have to go looking for one of these.

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Attention Ricky Relight. This is my Samhain. Don't know how big the run was but this one is #20 and seems to be out of production unless you want to pay for a custom build. My Godess is also a really low number. Now if only they would become popular I might have something here......

1715979652-P1010060.jpg
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

That’s fun!

Relight

Prominent Member

Literally 🔥, brah. That is so effing cool. There's no possible way to not slay with a guitar like that.

Tell me about the pickups? 

ugdabug

Reputable Member

First, apologies if it seems like there are big gaps in my communication but I'm one of the few left who isn't tethered to a cell phone so I only get on here when I'm around a computer.

So the pickups. Their website used to have a little blurb about them and I believe they said they were modelled after Seymour Duncans. The new version of their website is either hiding it really well or they've removed it.

You would think looking at the guitar that it probably had really hot pickups but they're actually quite classic/vintage sounding, at least for the Samhain and Goddess. The pickups in the Lotus are a touch hotter. Whereas sometimes a hot pickup kind of has just that one sound these offer some flexibiity. Just backing off on the guitar's volume gives you a change in tone. Basically the guitar has a lot of wood with classic pickups so maybe think Gibson Explorer.

ugdabug

Reputable Member

I guess I should have also said that they're a Minarek pickup. Not sure if it's made in house or farmed out.

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Called "Tone Perfect."

ugdabug

Reputable Member

The fret markers are pretty neat. Instead of the usual dots it's written in text like, three, nine, etc. The twelfth fret is a cloud passing in front of the moon a la Munsters.

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

Here's one of my favorite guitars for playing. I didn't build it though.

1715653188-15969138030152.jpg
Relight
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Soap bars ❤️

ugdabug
Reputable Member

That's been well loved.

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I used to play the piano and managed to reach a half decent level after about 12 years of lessons and exams. Passed all 8 grades and even earned a bit of pocket money playing in the background at a couple of functions. University life, girls and other pastimes eventually took over though. I still sit down at the keyboard occasionally and rattle out a few tunes from memory - from Scott Joplin to Beethoven 😊

My current hobby, other than pipe smoking, is growing medicinal plants, (I’ll skip the details here though 😊). Looking after my gardens takes up a bit of time too, even though I’ve simplified them as much as possible. 

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

I love gardening too 😉 😎 🍀

Flip
Estimable Member

Started band gigging in 1964 on trumpet and keyboards. Lost 4 years 68-72 to military and decided to switch to guitar. My favorites are my 90's telecaster and Epiphone Dot, my 2011 G&L Legacy (which I got to spec out completely), and my 2010 Gibson J200 acoustic. Various others including a '98 Martin and a 2002 Les Paul Studio. Am now 75 and trigger finger is my biggest enemy. Mostly studio work now and a few live gigs. When not jamming, I love photography. Using a Sony A7III with various lenses. Love doing wildlife shots. 

target="_blank"