Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Great web site!

Silver Sharktooth
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hi, my name is Hector F Gonzalez, I am a seaman, hotel manager and dog breeder/ pianist 52 years old.

i started smoking pipe at 32  after my son was born I could not afford any more cigars at that time.  I dont smoke too much and still learning.  
i own 13 pipes, including a meerschaum, being a savinelli 1/4 bend my favourite.  I prefer English blends and Odeesey Is my too so far. 
I learnt all by my self, I do not know any other pipe smoker in real life. i am Mexico city but live half of the year in UAE.  I am rather a lonley person. 

My pipes are my best friends in those long boring trips and nights when I am tired of all other crew on board to spend time by my self and think about things that matters.

I used to had sommelier skills, but after covid something happened in my senses, but I still keep trying my best now. 

I am very interested to know and share experiences.  Thanks for the creators of the web site and the contributors.

cheers!

16 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hello from Michigan! I also don’t know any other pipe smokers locally. There was a time I knew a lot of people who smoked a pipe, but that was a long time ago and they are all gone now. 

1 Reply
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Thank you Ted, nice to meet you here.

nach0
Noble Member

Hello from Brazil.
Thanks for sharing your words.
We are kinda in the same page, i dont have any friend in real life who smoke pipe, it is a lonely hobby for me. I love this forum because i found here the perfect spot to learn from the more experienced guys, also helps me a lot to keep my english since im not living abroad anymore.

Welcome and share your tobacco reviews if you feel like it. The 'reviews' part of the website is also great as well as the forum.

1 Reply
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Obrigado Nacho!   Nice to meet you.

Joseph
Noble Member

Hello from Sacramento! Thank you for your transparency sharing your pipe-smoking journey. I have an adult son who lives locally and enjoys a bowl with me now and then. Other than that, I have no local "briar brothers" either. Good to meet you. Cheers!

1 Reply
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Thank you Joseph, nice to meet you too, regards from UAE for now.

Silver Sharktooth
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hello to everyone and thank you for your welcoming, I am not sure why I did not answering before my apologizes.  I reset this account.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Welcome on board from Spain.

Can you find pipe tobacco in UAE?. When I was there, there were just cigarettes in the hotel lounge and La Casa del Habano that only sold Havana Cigars.

2 Replies
Silver Sharktooth

Trusted Member

Hola Juan Jose,

at the moment the situation is bad, long time without supplies, importers mentioned this is due to the problema in the Red Sea, so container ships must go a long detour from Africa, I couldn't verify this information but it has been months with no tobbacco, pipes and accessories for decent blends. In Dubai I was able to find a shop in Barsha with what it looks an old stock of Captain Blacks, which includes some discounted items as Green apple, Grape, Round taste, Royal, Gold and Original, thats it.  Two months ago I got the last two Argentinas from a tobacconist in Mall of Emirates, where normally you were able to find some good tobbacos, but not for now.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

As I remember, the best shop was it the airport, but had a lot of Mac Baren and few tobaccos more.

BTW. Odyssey is one of my preferred blends ever. In fact I´m smoking a bowl of it right now.

Nick R
Noble Member

Hello from Colorado!

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

Hello and welcome, from Denmark! 😊

Erik
 Erik
Estimable Member

Welcome to the forum. A friendly group of people are here. 😀

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

Welcome from New Jersey. Glad to meet you.

ugdabug
Reputable Member

So the theme here seems to be that we all lack pipe-smoking friends. Same here. I'm trying to corrupt some of my cigar-smoking friends but...no luck so far.

Oh well, I guess that's why we're all on here.

Welcome aboard pipe-smoking friend.

PaulT
Estimable Member

Hello and welcome from the UK. Plenty of content to help you cope with the quiet times.

target="_blank"