Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Tobacco Rotation?

Zigmeister67
Topic starter
Noble Member

I've read about and seen videos that people have a regular rotation of pipe tobacco. Some people have a seasonal rotation.

How do you choose?  Would you do an English blend then go to a aromatic?  I guess you don't want to get bored with a blend. How many do you choose?

Thank you all for the help. 

10 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I have also seen people discussing what seem like quite structured habits around what they smoke and when. I’ve never developed anything like that myself, but I have noticed there are some times that I lean towards certain tobaccos. Virginia based ones are my mainstay, but occasionally weeks or longer I seem to click more with burleys or Latakia blends than others. I haven’t noticed a time of year correlation with that for me though.

I usually will have something in mind that sounds good for my next smoke and go with that. At the times when nothing in particular comes to mind, I will often just start opening jars and smelling them until one seems like it. 

I only have one rule that I tend to follow, is lighter tobaccos (bright leaning Virginias, Mac Baren roll cakes and twists, etc.) are earlier in the day picks for me. Many of them I can barely taste or smell after a strong blend, even if it’s been hours. Certain foods will also dull my taste enough to make lighter blends a waste of time. 

I often encourage newer smokers to occasionally pick one blend they like and smoke nothing but that for at least a couple of days. There are things that open up about a blend from doing that that one might never experience bouncing around from blend to blend. It can also be a great way to reset so to speak from experiencing fatigue from smoking too many different blends. 

1 Reply
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

I definitely believe you have to smoke a blend several times to really get to know it.

I seem to like English and Balkans the most then Burley Virginias.  I like the straight Virginias but am still getting to know them. 

Nick R
Noble Member

I am a free spirit in my tobacco rotation. I could go from Plum Pudding to Escudo Navy Deluxe to Creme brule all before lunch. I have never had any structure, rhyme or reason in my selection. If it sounds good I smoke it! 

nach0
Famed Member

I do believe i have my preferences but i don´t follow it as rule.

I´ve been smoking 3 bowls a day and i believe i reached my perfect spot. Sometimes less, never more.
Once it said i´d prefer Dark fired and English mixtures at morning. Usually i don´t smoke them before going to sleep.
Aromatics usually fits anytime in the day, so in my mind there is no bad time for pick one of them.

To avoid any mismatch the tip Ted said is perfect, opening jars and smelling lots of them makes easy to find what your "body" is keen for today.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I do not have a properly rotation. I mostly smoke different tobaccos that I know very well and I like much. From time to time I buy new ones based on recommendations, curiosity, or lack of availability of my favorites, which sadly is my case these days (Rattray´s and Dan Tobacco have disappeared from Spanish shelves).  If I like them, they become part of my stash. I smoke one, maybe two tobaccos along the day, and once I open the jar, I smoke it until the end. I smoke two, and If I´m lucky, three bowls a day. I smoke bolder blends when it´s cold and lighter ones on summer. Summer is also the season to smoke Orientals and Virginia without Latakia, but The Magic Jar, with superb, divine, pure Sirian Latakia is never far from me.

All in all, about a dozen different tobaccos that I call "The twelve Apostles", but if I lived in the US, that selection could be called "The Senate", or "The Congress", because could have dozens of members. 

3 Replies
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Posted by: Juan José Pascual Lobo

The Magic Jar, with superb, divine, pure Sirian Latakia is never far from me.

Do you smoke straight Latakia?  How does Syrian and Cyprian differ in your opinion.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Two or three times a year I like to smoke a small bowl of straight Latakia in a sqwat bulldog group 3 pipe. You have to be careful when smoking this weed or you'll end seeing special effects. I mainly use straight Latakia to add oomp to a blend or to mix with Oriental and Virginia tobaccos. The dose vary with the mood. Sometimes, just a pinch give a special touch to a good Oriental or Virginia mixture.

Syrian Latakia has less campfire flavor and a note of good Pinot Noir red wine. It´s milder than Cyprian but has much more nicotine. Cyprian Latakia has a bolder campfire flavor and is a bit sweeter. I love both equally. 

I still have some 100gr tins of MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian which is one of the very best blends I have ever smoked and is no longer in production because there is no more Syrian Latakia. It´s gone forever. I also have very few tins of Artisan Blend and MacConnell Latakia Flake from the times those blends were made with Syrian Latakia

I also have a good bunch of pure Syrian Latakia from Robert MacConnell and pure Cyprus latakia from Torben Dansk. Robert MacConell used Syrian Latakia until tins marked A/-/-/S in the dating code that uses Kohlhasse & Koop to date tins. All final letters before S have Syrian Latakia for sure.

If you find some, pick it. I enjoy mixing it with Torben Dansk Orient Spezialitat, Capstan Blue, G.L. Pease Cairo, Rattray´s Hal O the Wind....

You will not regret.

1705254789-Unknown.jpeg
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Very interesting. Maybe I'll run into it one day. 🙂

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

No rotation for me. I just have my more commonly smoked blends at the front of the shelves in my tobacco cabinet. I usually spend at least 5-10 minutes deciding which blend I’m in the mood for. I’ve got much better at choosing the right one, with experience. In the past, I’ve even emptied a bowl that I wasn’t enjoying because I’d picked the wrong blend. I haven’t done that for a long time now, though 🤞

Joseph
Noble Member

No rotation yet. That’s at least a few steps down the road for me, if ever. I’m still exploring. In the past 4 weeks, I’ve bought 9 new blends, and haven’t even tried them all yet. ha, ha

target="_blank"