Forums

Aromatic and Non Ar...

Notifications
Clear all

Aromatic and Non Aromatic Pipe?

PaulT
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Being a newbie to pipe smoking but not smoking. I have a question.

If I purchased heavy flavored cigars the cellphone would stay on, they would be stored in a different section of the humidor.

So, do people use one pipe for aromatics and another for non aromatic tobaccos.  Or doesn't it matter?

I hope you can see my reasoning behind my simplistic thought process.

Thank you.

17 Replies
Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I don’t really smoke many aromatics, or at least tobacco that has been drenched in flavourings, (vanilla, chocolate, cherry, etc..) Although, I do smoke some pretty powerful blends, taste-wise. I use different pipes as I think it’s important to experiment. Sometimes, I can taste hints of the previous tobacco smoked in a pipe, but it’s usually extremely mild and disappears after a couple of smokes.

My advice: don’t let the advice of others limit your exploration! 😄

7 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Learning from mistakes is an important part of learning. And, I say that as a schoolteacher 😊

PaulT

Estimable Member

I've made many mistakes but very rarely make a second.

PaulT

Estimable Member

Lee,

Thank you for the explanation.

Sounds like you might like a specific pipe for a tobacco?

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Kind of. Though I take my own advice, i.e. I don’t let others stop me from exploring. Having said that, I obviously value the opinion of others, especially when they’re more knowledgeable than me 😄 
So, anyway, I have a meerschaum bent apple that gets used a lot these days, as it’s such a great pipe with so many tobaccos. However, I like to use briar versions of the same type occasionally and clay pipes for a different perspective, when I think I know a blend.

I’ve not used some of my other pipes as much as I’d like, because I feel I’ve hit on the pipes for me. I know them well and they deliver exactly what I look for in a pipe. But, I do still try to inject a bit of variety now and again 😄

PaulT

Estimable Member

Lee, thank you.

One of my reasons for posing the question was that I didn't want too ruin a good Peterson bowl on aromatics.

Yours and other responses seem to confirm that it's best to have a separate pipe for aromatics.

I'm going to order a corn cob to give me the opportunity to try some aromatics.

nach0

Famed Member

Cobs are the best when learning. You wont regret. Pay attention cuz some are filtered and some not. Its filters are totally different from the usual 6 and 9mm charcoal we are used to see in briars. Remember to take if off after 4 or 5 smokes and change for a new one or simply avoid them. I only use the one that come in. When old i take it off and never put a new one.

PaulT

Estimable Member

Think I'll go without filters 😀

Hi Paul, fwiw, I'm a relatively new pipe smoker (2.5 years), I enjoy both aros and non-argos, depending on the mood/occasion/weather, etc., but I've found that cobs work great for more heavily cased aros. I don't really like the super heavy cased gloopy blends,or lakelands (which WILL ghost a pipe, stubbornly so), but enjoy autumn evening, rainy days, stokkebye 1957, etc. I also keep a few briars for these sweeter blends.

Cobs are the way to go. 😉

2 Replies
PaulT

Estimable Member

Jon thank you for your reply.

I can see the sense in your explanation. The corn cob sounds good for heavy aromatic blends. 

Having spent a few pounds on a decent pipe I don't want to ruin the bowl.

nach0

Famed Member

I couldn't agree more 🍻 

nach0
Famed Member

I'd recommend you to get a corncob. Maybe 2 or 3. Than split one for aro, one for english and the last for virginias and vaper. 

I only have 1 pipe that i dedicated for virginias. All others i smoke whatever i want. But when talking about heavy cased and strong toppings i got for corncob instead wood pipes.

1 Reply
PaulT

Estimable Member

Thank you so much for your advice it makes perfect sense.

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Ya, solid advice so far here. Some use specific pipes for specific brands and blends which is fine but you need a bunch of pipes. I basically use one for heavy aros, one for lighter aros, one for English/Balkans and one is for perique or whatever else I'm trying out.

1 Reply
PaulT

Estimable Member

Thank you. Its clearly the route to go.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

All excellent advice above. I can only echo the recommendation of a corncob or three with newly trying aromatics. They often improve the smoke of ones you find you like over briar, especially for a new smoker. At the same time I can remember running across ones that had some flavor added that I found terrible and in that instance, simply discarding a cob pipe rather than trying to get rid of the ghost was exactly the thing to do. Especially since a cob can be purchased for the same price or less than a cigar. 

PaulT
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I've had some sound advice, thank you.

target="_blank"