Notes: Released 2015.

Old Shrink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Shrink (19)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Country Squire: Old Toby

This came to me in bulk as a gift from a good friend. It is a lovely & contemplative Aromatic.... this from a fan of the English blenders Samuel Hoggarth & Gawith Hoggarth & the Mac Baren blends. I don’t know if JRR Tolkien smoked this with CS Lewis & the Inklings ... but then it wasn’t around then! It is a blend of Virginia’s, Burleys & the blender says Louisiana Perique... which is very very mild. It has a sugar casing & one reviewer aptly termed it “baked brown sugar, maple, bourbon”. I concur... can’t identify the Bourbon as I quit drinking (for all the usual reasons). It is a sumptuous smoke. The moisture content was extremely high so I dried it out several days. It smokes cool w/no bite. The Nic hit is mild ...( remember I’m used to the English blends). The room note is very pleasant & the briar exuded a pluffera of smoke. It is a coarse cut. It is not hard to recommend this tobacco... especially to Aromatic affectionados or English fans like meself wanting a quality Aromatic. 3+ Stars.

Pipe Used: Briars: Dunhill, Ashton, Comoys

Jasn Wilcox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jasn Wilcox (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don’t know about all the nuances of tobacco reviews, but I will say Old Toby is the best tasting tobacco I’ve ever smoked. May have to relight or dry out or whatever ( I wouldn't think so but some might)... but as far as taste, best I’ve ever tasted. May benefit from a longer shanked pipe as I smoked it in my Bing's favorite and a Nording handmade, but again just damn good. Jon David hit a homerun mixing this blend. I swear I was shocked this was an aromatic. No bite, smooth as hell. Just wow!

Pipe Used: Brand new Bing's Favorite, Nording Handmade

LSUTigersFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSUTigersFan (5)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Like most people who are Tolkien fans, the name alone drew me to this blend. It is a sweet smoke on the milder side of things with a woody sense from the burley. I do not have the most developed palette, but I could get a sense of the sugar coating that helped to create a great mouth feel. But, there is no tongue bite and a very generous amount of smoke. It presents a wonderful room note. I imagine it would go wonderfully with a port or sherry as a dessert or "end of the day" smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Extra Smooth (806) - a lumberman

A killswitch A Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A killswitch A (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sweetness, something on the edge of a holiday spice but a lot more rounded out and subtle which leads into a flavor and aroma I just can’t quite put my finger on, which is what I love so much about it. I have a feeling after smoking for a while longer this will be a go to and become an old friend. I can’t say anything bad about it so I give it 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Arcobaleno Green 606

Purchased From: Country Squire in Mississippi

Similar Blends: I am too new to compare it. I have had Plum Pudding, Captain Black Original, Cherry Cavindish. I can honestly say it was not like those..

Lve2ride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lve2ride (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This Tobacco is sweet and smooth and smokes well. A little drying time before packing helps to keep the relights down. This like all of the Country Squire blends is blended on-site and is not merely a relabeled bulk blend. If you are an Aromatic smoker or just wanting to dip your toe into the water so to speak, this is a good PREMIUM example of the genre.

Pipe Used: Variety of Briars and Cobs

Age When Smoked: Both fresh and cellared for 4 years

Purchased From: Country Squire

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (68)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Old Toby, The Country Squire

Description: The choicest blend of Tobold Hornblower himself! Straight from Middle Earth, Old Toby brings together the finest Virginia and Burley leaves with a generous sugar casing and a dash of Louisiana Perique. A treat for your senses and your companions!

Storage/Age: Ounce from a friend.

Flavor Profile/Subjective Musings:

OK. It says no cavendish, but man it tastes like there’s cavendish. That aside, this is a great little aromatic. Not exactly EU tobacco forward, but one of the more tobacco forward American offerings I’ve had. I can, in fact, pick out the burley and VA. And, surprisingly, just the lightest hint of perique. If they aren’t using cavendish, the VA must be of the stoved persuasion.

A bit of vanilla, some brown sugar, a splash of ultra sweet bourbon or vanilla rum. It’s a sweet blend that translates the smell to taste rather well. Very moist and sticky in the bag, but not goopy in the pipe somehow. No gurgle. Lit and burnt easily.

All in all this is a really lovely little aromatic. I like the tobacco profile and the fact that I can taste it underneath the topping. Granted, it’s not wildly tobacco forward, but it works quite well. An easy crowd pleaser which is actually pretty satisfying for the smoker as well.

Cellar Notes/Final Thoughts:

I’d buy more of this, though in limited quantities. I just don’t smoke enough aromatics to warrant a bigger inclusion. So the score for this is in quality only, not quantity.

Rating: 7.6/10.

3 - I’ll Finish the Bowl, I guess

2 - I Wish I Hadn’t Done This

1 - Why Would This Get Produced

0 - Dump the Bowl

Brief Overview of Reviewer’s General Tastes: I am primarily a VA (and it’s variant combination forms) smoker who has great affinity for SG and comparable EU manufactured blends, along with a few of the US micro blender shops. I do enjoy English/Balkan blends on occasion and a few very specific tobacco forward aromatics. I am exceptionally picky about blends and tend to cellar deep and narrow on things, reserving the bulk of my cellar planning and space for items I find to be of significant worth as far as taste and experience. Anything of quality, but not of obsessive value to me, is cellared and purchased as condimental flavor breaks between my regular rotation.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (111)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tastes like baked brown sugar, maple, and maybe a hint of bourbon. Not bad for an extremely wet aromatic, I need hand wipes after I smoke this stuff to remove the sticky residue from my fingers after packing the bowl. I wil say, this is one of the few aromatics that I can actually taste in the smoke and not just smell.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Little Devil

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch

Purchased From: The Country Squire (online)

Similar Blends: Virginia Cream, Autumn Evening.

CCW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CCW (1)
Mild Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Old Toby is one of the finest aromatics I have yet to smoke. I can't exactly say it's my favorite, because maybe I haven't smoked my favorite yet, but right now, this is my favorite full flavored aromatic tobacco on the market. I say full flavored because it is hefty in the aroma and taste department. Sometimes I might not be in the mood for such a full flavored and rich smelling tobacco, but this one, for me at least, just cannot be beaten.

I ordered 4 ounces of it off the recommendation of a friend and I'm so glad I did. Being a fan of JRR Tolkien's work and the movies as well, I had to give it a try. My only sadness is that I don't have a proper wizard inspired warden to smoke it in.

When I first opened the bag, I was instantly hit with the aroma of maple and vanilla, maybe even some brown sugar. If comfort, peace and relaxation had a smell, this would be it. It also has the hard to find characteristic of smelling and tasting exactly as it smells right from the bag. It comes a little moist, more so than I typically receive in other aromatic blends, perhaps even slightly sticky leaving a bit of a residue on your fingers, but I've encountered this before in other blends and it never ended up being an issue.

I've smoked it right from the bag and also provided a little dry time, but in either case, it seems to smoke just fine. When still moist, you can hear the soft crackle of the tobacco dry out as the flame approaches. It still lights great and smokes just fine with a few relights in my case, but no more than average.

When lit, you instantly smell the maple and vanilla hints and you can taste them just the same. It has no bite, but if you tried to smoke it too hot or fast, I can't promise it won't. Take this one slow and easy and just enjoy the aroma and imagine yourself in the Shire on a bench with Gandalf puffing and blowing smoke rings. You owe it yourself to try this one if you enjoy sweeter aromatics. This one will definitely become one to which I order frequently.

Pipe Used: MM Washington Rob Roy

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: The Country Squire Tobacconist - Second Breakfast (Middle Earth Series).

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ii found this blend rather one-dimensional. Quite damp, needs drying out. Very heavy on the vanilla, almost overwhelming. Lots of smoke, have to baby it softly to keep it from getting too hot. Uninspiring.

Pipe Used: Cob

Mr. Wyoming Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Wyoming (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

What’s in your pipe? Make it Old Toby! “Old Toby”, sounds a little like what you may call your loyalist of dogs. The one who stood by your side, listened to your stories, and pounced upon your return even if you’d only be gone a short time. For me as I smoke “Old Toby” it feels like I’m returning to an old friend. Returning to a time when life was simpler. If you’ve watched the first Hobbit movie as Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins reflect over the Shire, I must believe they often reflected back to this time as their journey became a battle. “The Country Squire” was new to me. I’d heard of them. I even had a link on my phone, but I’d never bought anything. I posted on FB looking for suggestions on what I should buy. Being a Hobbit fan, I was drawn to their, “Middle Earth Tobaccos”. Of course, just because the tobaccos have a fancy name does not mean it’s a good tobacco. (Keep in mind I’m not one who can pull taste all the subtle nuances of each blend. I generally hope, especially with aromatics that it tastes like the “tin note”.) Upon opening the baggie, I only bought 1oz, I was blown away. The Country Squire describes it as having “a generous sugar casing”. I have absolutely NO idea what this means. What I do know is that upon opening the baggie the most amazing and unknown aroma came out. I can’t describe it, but I absolutely loved it. If only the tobacco tasted anything like it smelled I knew this was a winner. Out of the bag the tobacco is a bit wet/goopy. I’ve had worse, but just be aware. I did not dry it; I went straight to packing and lighting. Both were perfect. The biggest test was the taste. Wow, it was spot on amazing. It tasted like it smelled, and with the retro I got the same. I wasn’t left searching. I wasn’t disappointed! I was left content and happy during my crazy journey called “life”. It smoked cool and burned down to a nice ash. Larger bowls have left some tobacco in the bottom. Normal for many aromatics. I’ve smoked with probably 5 different pipes with about the same experience in each. I ran out of the first ounce before I could get my order in for 8 more ounces. For me this is a perfect tobacco and jumped right into my top 1. I now have two top ones. :)

Pipe Used: Floggleworks churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Out of bag

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Nothing that I know of.