Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices

(2.86)
Whole Virginia leaves used as the wrapper and filler are combined with a center of dark-fired Kentucky, and are then rolled into ropes and cut into coins. The coins are slightly aromatic and medium to full in strength.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.86 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 26 of 26 Reviews
Mar 01, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Smooth smoke easy light and stays lit. Good flavor with occasional sweetness. Doesn't bite nor get too hot. Part of my everyday rotation. A very affordable bulk blend of Virginia and dark Kentucky.
Pipe Used: Neerup Peterson cob
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes.com
Jul 09, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I've tried a lot of English blends and vapors but this was my first experience with Kentucky. I like the blend a lot but feel it would be best smoked in the colder weather. Can get hot if smoked too fast, found it better to sip. Another winner for Newminster and at a great price. Packs and burns quite well down to a gray ash.
Pipe Used: 70's Meer

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 47;

Rated Percentage = 78%;

Comment = This has a Strong Flavor, is Not Mild, and is Bitter from start to Finish
Apr 22, 2024 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Tin note : sweet notes, spicy and peppery notes from the kentucky. I also get some hints of dried fruits such as raisins and figs.

Cut : This is a coin cut blend with streams of brown looking tobacco which is the virginia surrounding the dark circle which is kentucky. The tricky part lies in rubbbing out the coins as the middle dart part can be quite course, unlike the outer part which easily rubs into a shag cut.

Hence, The texture wont be smooth overall.

Mechanics : Even though it does not rub out uniformly, it still does not prove much of a challenge to get it ready. Stays lit relatively well till through the middle of the bowl. Requires more relights towards the end. Requires a couple of charring lights.

Flavour : I do detect a little sweetness from the virginia. Sometimes, I get hints of a fizzy cola. I also do get notes of smoked meat and prawns. alot of smoky bbq notes coming from this blend. This blend reminds me a little of Hal O the Wynd.
Stout but yet somehow balanced.

Will I buy this again : yes, If i somehow run out of Hal O the Wynd and i cant get it, I will just get a pound of this instead.

3.5 stars
Pipe Used: Tekin topkapi meerschaum, al pascia meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: 6 Months
b7q
Mar 19, 2024 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
It's not bad, nicotine satisfaction, similar to Dark Twist, I prefer Dark Twist to this, no reason, just personal feelings, for me, this genre does not do better than Dark Twist.
Pipe Used: Briar&Meerschaum&Corn&Clay
Feb 22, 2023 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Simple but good, almost entirely pleasant. I get less VA than DFK/burley, not noticing any barbecue to speak of, and though it's not front and center I think the VA does add something -- a sweet character without obvious fruit notes. More dark sugar of some sort, maybe. Quite spicy, an aspect I don't love. I'll happily finish my 1oz jar, but I'm not sure I'd reorder it; I'm betting there's something strictly better out there, and this isn't really blowing me away.

target="_blank"