John Middleton, Inc Prince Albert's Cherry Vanilla

(2.31)
Crimp and shag cut burley with flakes of golden Virginia and a touch of black cavendish. A smooth and mild smoke combining cherry and vanilla flavor impacts.

Details

Brand John Middleton, Inc
Blended By John Middleton, Inc
Manufactured By John Middleton, Inc.
Blend Type Aromatic

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.31 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 45 Reviews
Dec 16, 2007 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
12/16/2007 - The cherry and vanilla flavors are strongest when smelled from the pouch. If you are a fast smoker - beware. This blend burns fast and hot if not careful.

The room note is somewhere between pleasant and tolerable. However this smoke has a tendency to turn dry and stale. Don't expect much in the way of vanilla as the cherry flavoring seems to overpower.

I love cherries and vanilla, however, next time instead of smoking a bowl of this I will instead have vanilla ice cream with cherries on top.
Sep 22, 2017 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
The nutty, earthy, woody, lightly molasses sweet burley is the main component. The grassy, tartly citrusy Virginia is in the background. The black cavendish is a very sugary condiment. I notice the vanilla a little more than the sweetly tart cherry, and both great sublimate the tobaccos. The taste level is in the center of mild to medium. Has a very light nic-hit. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a decent, short lived after taste, though there’s a little syrup from the toppings that some may find a tad distracting. An all day smoke. Two and a half stars because of the syrup note, which prevents a three star rating.

-JimInks
Jul 20, 2013 Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable
This is the vilest thing I've put in a pipe to date. Flavor from the pouch is o.k. but none of it comes through in the smoke. tongue bite and a nasty cigarette like aftertaste left me pretty disappointed.
Oct 11, 2006 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Raise to possible two stars if you like Capt. Black. Otherwise not much to say.
Feb 10, 2018 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
surprisingly good. I am a big fan of the original PA and this one has very similar characteristics with the addition of a light to medium dose of flavoring. IMO the tobacco is well done and much better than other OTCs. You can get flavors of the tobacco, cherry, and vanilla at the same time which is nice. PACV is a nice mild smoke that wont give you any hassle or any mind blowing epiphany, but it will get the job done.
Pipe Used: old grabow briar
PurchasedFrom: otc
Age When Smoked: seemed pretty fresh.
Apr 23, 2011 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
The pouch aroma of this mixture of short-cut, medium ribbon and flakey chunks is very subdued; sweet and with a touch of vanilla and an almost indiscernible cherry note.

A typical composition of cavendished burleys and virginias with a slight touch of black cavendish, the flavor leans toward the husky burley component. Only moderately sweetened, there seems to be some natural burley taste bursting out now and again. The topping stays far in the background during the smoke.

Cherry Vanilla is a solid, though reserved, cavendish, especially for those who normally don't like the genre. The price-point makes this especially attractive. Though the branding may be a bit deceptive, the hint of real burley taste does provide a bit of linkage to the Prince Albert tradition. This will ghost a briar over time and went well in a chamber of any gauge.
Dec 19, 2008 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant
a cavendish decently cased with cherry,,you can taste the cherries running through along with the toasted Cavendish leafs occasionally,,burns well and have a nice room note,,thats about it,,spend extra and get something more intresting i would say,,not on my future list
Sep 04, 2008 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant
Have not been here for awhile, just took up the habit after quitting a couple of years back. This is the first blend I came back to as I have smoked it before and am trying to stick to it to see if some sort of consistent taste of this blend develops. Most of the time this seems very bitey and hot, but the smell of someone else smoking it makes me want to stay with it because I love the smell of it, and am hoping to get it to taste correspondingly. Every once in a while when I'm taking short gentle drags on my pipe I can taste an excellent cherry-vanilla flavor, but it doesn't last for long and it goes back to being poor to mediocre. Almost like getting a glimpse of Nirvana or Enlightenment, then falling back to earth again. Maybe I need more time for my pipe to break-in. Hoping with my sticking to it will reward me with more of those cherry-vanilla Nirvana moments.
Mar 28, 2004 Very Mild Medium Medium Tolerable
Cherry? Vanilla? Nope. Just non-descript, tongue biting, nastiness. I don't even like it when somebody else smokes it. The only redeeming quality is that it's cheap. But then, so is swamp water.

The Prince should abdicate his throne. And speaking of "the throne", can you guess where this stuff ended up?
Apr 07, 2019 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
This is a chopped medium ribbon with a few irregular tan bits. The pouch note is sweet with a whiff of vanilla and less cherry. The cherry is there, but there is not much in the pouch note.

Smoked, this is a pleasant burley-forward VaBur with some black cavendish to sweeten it and take the edge off the burley. The topping is barely there in the flavor. This is an aromatic on the level of something like Carter Hall. It is mild but pleasant. I found it burned a little fast for me, but it did not burn hot or have the musty taste I often find with black cavendish.

Cherry Vanilla is a decent mildly aromatic VaBur. The addition of black cavendish gives it a slightly sweet taste and keeps the nicotine level low. As close as I can tell, the room note seems to be fairly pleasant. It does not do anything for me especially, and I am going to rate it at 2 stars. if I wanted an OTC, I would get PA or CH before this. If you are looking for mild and pleasant or if you are nicotine sensitive, this might be just the thing.
Aug 07, 2018 Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
Ok, well first the foil pack was not sealed. This stuff was so dry, I started sneezing with the first whiff. There was a slight hint of cherry, nuts, Virginia,vanilla and sawdust. Did not pack well at all. But when I put a match to it, the flame from the tobacco almost took off my mustache. I’m not trying to be funny here, just truthful. One match is all it takes. The taste is not really to bad. I believe this could be an all day smoker if it was all you had. I believe one could learn to tolerate it, but why!
Pipe Used: MM cob
PurchasedFrom: Pipe and tobacco
Apr 13, 2014 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
So it's a drugstore blend instead of some over-hyped premium. Ooh...It's simple with a nice Burley taste. It's an aero but doesn't really come across in the taste. Just a nice,mellow tobacco flavor. Didn't bite with me. I would smoke this over Captain Black' s syrupy garbage any day. This is good for me, I personally smoke a LOT so I can load this up and save myself some cash by not burning through my better blends. Simple, won't gunk up a pipe or stink up the place.
Pipe Used: MM Legend
PurchasedFrom: Local B&M
Age When Smoked: ??
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Nov 17, 2006 Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable
I found this in the two for a dollar bin at a local shop and I got less than I paid for. No aromatic flavor at all, just red hot steam.

Horrible on all levels, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Jun 16, 2006 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
03092006 I found this to be one of the best cherry vanilla tobaccos I have tried. It burned cool with no bite at all, no matter how hard I tried. My wife and I both enjoyed the room note. A very good tobacco for the beginner.

06162006 No more. I found better blends in non aromatics. I can't stand "cased" tobaccos anymore.
Feb 03, 2020 Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Smells pleasant in the pouch, doesn't translate to the smoke however. Taste of Burley and slight vanilla. I would describe the cut as a short ribbon.

EDIT: Dec 7, 2020 I heard that Middleton discontinued this blend.
Pipe Used: Cob with filter
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year
May 25, 2019 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
No. Avoid this blend. There is neither cherry nor vanilla in this blend. No other real positives to speak of. Very disappointed. For cherry, I'd recommend Cult, for vanilla, go up to Stanwell.
Dec 30, 2018 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
John Middleton - Prince Albert's Cherry Vanilla.

Mine contains hardly any black Cavendish, it's prominently medium brown with a noticeable amount of yellow pieces. More than being a Broken Flake, mine appears like a coarse-ish ribbon. The aroma has more cherry than vanilla.

The smoke: being an aromatic, unlike a natural blend it doesn't necessitate much perspicacity or many bowls to form an opinion. It isn't 'bad', but a run of the mill aromatic. I'd say the added flavouring just reaches medium, but isn't cherry-sour or vanilla-sticky. The cherry and vanilla seem quite well balanced with one another. I find the topping louder for the first quarter bowl. The black Cavendish seems non-existent, it's a VaBur aromatic. It burns steadily, it isn't a blend where it fulminates in seconds, nor does it require hours; it burns at a medium speed. I get no tongue bite from it.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: nice.

Prince Albert's Cherry Vanilla? Although I don't 'dislike' it, I've smoked better aromatics. Two stars:

Somewhat recommended.
Pipe Used: Peder Jeppesen
PurchasedFrom: eBay: 757habano
Jul 07, 2014 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Best of the OTC cherry-vanilla tobaccos. Excellent taste--the vanilla tames the cherry, very smooth and mellow, but luxurious. Glorious clouds of smoke, lots of clean, honest burley shining through. Pleasant room note, consistently gets the highest marks among my aromatics from friends and family. Flavor and burning benefits from 15-30 minutes of drying. In my opinion, a fine value for the low, over-the-counter price and a nice one to keep in the glovebox or as an outdoor knockabout backup to higher-quality blends.
Pipe Used: MM General Cob with Medico Filter
PurchasedFrom: Four Bears Casino Gift Shop, Four Bears Village, ND, USA
Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch of unknown shelf date
Oct 08, 2011 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
First I'd like to point out that this tobacco is not a bargain as others have mentioned; a 9 ounce bag is 20 dollars, which is slightly cheaper than other "premium" tobacco, just not enough to be called a bargain.

On to the tobacco itself...

Good pleasant smoke. This stuff has plenty of tobacco flavor which is lacking in many aromatics and the room note is extremely pleasant. The cherry aroma predominates but the vanilla is there too and I have to say this is not like other cherry blends I've smoked that taste like cheap lipstick. What surprised me the most was that the tobacco was not sticky to the touch and it does not get goopy like other more expensive aromatics. Also, the fact that is easily and readily available at brick and mortar stores is a huge plus.

Compared to other OTC aromatics this stuff is great, several notches better than Borkum Riff and definitely better than the PG laden Captain Black.

Definitely a tobacco to smoke at a moderate pace because it burns fast and it has the potential to get really hot, but no need to baby it either.

I like it, I like it a lot. Makes an excellent all day smoke if you like aromatics and I intend to keep it around.
Jun 28, 2009 Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant
An outstanding aromatic offering with no muss, fuss or goop!

The Prince's Cherry/Vanilla Blend actually has more of a vanilla presentation according to my taste buds. It was a fun smoke and I may even make my way through the entire 5-ounce bag. My second bowl was cut 50/50 with Five Brothers (a very strong unflavored straight burley), and the combination was delightful. I got the strength my palate was looking for and my wife didn't kick me out of the house!

target="_blank"