Very mature Old Belt flue cured Virginias spiced with Louisiana perique.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)

This is one of my top 10. It has far less Perique than PS LBF. I'm not a big fan of too much spice, and go through stages where I prefer a bit of Perique with my VA. I primarily smoke VA's, VA/Per, English, to give an idea of my preference of taste.

I found this tobacco to be the absolute best in a marriage between VA and Per. Like a perfect formula, the VA's dominate with a sweet grassy flavor and aroma, while allowing the perique to offer only a mild input that takes the Va's attributes to a slightly new and different level. Though the blend is not complicated by any means, the sophisticated palate will find that the delicate and sweet VA overtones are changed ever so slightly in a way that creates a touch of complexity, wherein the product of VA and Perique combine to form a melody somewhat unique among Va/per flakes. Mild with very little bite, the flake produces a delicate fig aspect with a raisin vanilla finish. PS Va's are underrated IMO. Some have called them bland, yet I would suggest they are subtle, and the patient smoker will find their flavors and aromas to be equally amusing, yet different in a pleasant way, to other VA flakes.

Pipe Used: Askwith Prince

Age When Smoked: 4 yrs

Similar Blends: I find this unique among VA/Perique tobaccos due mainly to the subtle flavors of PS Va's. But to name a few with subtle to medium differences: McClelland 2015, Reiner LGF, and Sam Gawith St James flake..

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury curly cut, Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Bull eyes flake, and Luxury Navy Flake.

After smoking 1 pound of each, here below I write a small review for all:

Luxury curly cut: I wasn?t terribly happy with this blend, there is some topping with unpleasant flavor and it is hot on the palate, the good news is that it has been discontinued. 2stars

Luxury Twist Flake: very pleasant hay/ burnt caramel flavor, great first WOW effect, high impression when you start smoking few oz of it, unfortunately there is a diminishing return effect, after smoking 7 to 8oz of it, the caramel topping starts to be boring, the flavor is great in the beginning, but this is not a natural VA flavor. Try Astley's No.109 Virginia Flake for the same flavor but with true and natural VA and without casing. 3stars.

Luxury Bulleyes flake: This one is really good, natural flavor with minimum perique and delicious Cavendish, Great Virginia!!! However, despite the very low price, it is not as good as Davidoff Flake Medallions or Escudo Navy Deluxe. This is a very good choice for money saving pipers, with Hi quality VAPER spun cakes, but if we talk strictly about enjoying a VA/Per pipe, this blend is not the best of its category. and since I do not care how much the tobacco costs, not because I am rich, but because life is too short, also because I smoke 1-2 bowl only per day and I believe that the best way to save your money is to sell all your pipes on Ebay and stop smoking for good, therefor I Definitely prefer Flake Medallions over LBF. 3star

Luxury Navy Flake: This is my favorite one so far, it will not impress you with WOW flavor when you start smoking it, but it will start revealing its hidden secrets after maybe 10-15 bowls, it just needs your patience and commitment (do not smoke anything else while smoking it) this is truly a great smoke, with unmatched quality for a Navy Va flake, extremely well balanced, natural flavor with slight sweetness that comes from the very light rum casing, creamy and fresh, very pleasant all day smoke. Definitely one of the best in the "navy" category. I am very happy with this one, this is my preferred one, 4 stars.

The very grassy, mildly citrus sweet Virginia also offers a hint of toast, earth and wood. The perique is spicy with a little raisins and figs in a support role; just a tad more than a background player. Seems to have a light rum topping. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Burns a little warm on the tongue if puffed fast, so I recommend a slow smoking pace. Has no dull spots. Burns at a moderate rate with a very consistent flavor from beginning to end. Requires few relights and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room note will linger just a mite. Benefits quite a bit from aging as the Virginia often seems a little youthful. Could be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

An excellent go-to VaPer, at an excellent price. Presentation is classic rectangular flake. Virginias are smooth and the Perique content is just right. As with any Virginia, gets better with age, but this one is smokable right out of the bag. Moisture level just right for those who rub out their flakes.

The Perique adds a delicious stewed plum note to this blend that becomes more pronounced as the tabocco ages, yet there's a subtle pepper note in the background as well. When I'm in the mood for a straight, uncased VaPer, it doesn't get much better than LNF. Excepting Escudo, this is probably my favorite straight VaPer flake. There aren't layers of flavor here as much as there is one, direct and consistent flavor. Fortunately, that flavor is sublime. In this regard, Luxury Navy is similar to Escudo in straightforward consistency, though Escudo presents more pepper and Luxury Navy showcases more plum.

Had I discovered PS's bulk VaPers earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of money on tinned tobacco. VaPer smokers: Buy a pound or two and jar it. You won't regret it.

Edit: while already an excellent tobacco, this improves dramatically with a little age. Truly a classic and value cannot be beat. This is a blend I cellar by the pound.

If you think you want to try a VaPer flake, start with this one and you may never look for anything else. I like this one a lot, and I have smoked it cubed, rubbed out and folded and stuffed. It is sweet and spicy. It has a good VaPer flavor that tastes a little harsh if it is puffed too fast. Keep it at a slow smoulder, and you are in for a treat. It is a quality, inexpensive VAPer flake

I have had this aged, and found it more mellow and a slightly different smoke. Age improves it, but not a lot. The flakes darken in the jar, and the flavor is a little sweeter and the perique is more subtle.

I know folks who smoke this every day. I am not one of them, but I could.

Edit: Dec. 2014 - I have smoked over a pound of this, and I have discovered I have a few pipes especially suited to it. They all happen to be pots. The last purchase was the 24 oz box and my review should probably reflect a "3.5" now. I have smoked this at least once a day for the past three weeks, and I think this flake is underrated...

This is a very nice Virginia/Perique blend. I lightly detected the Perique but the delicious flavor of the Virginia came at me in waves. One of the finer Virginia/Perique blends on the market, especially for those who enjoy their Perique in laid back manner.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Impressions based on a 4-bowl sample I received from a friend. Certainly this is not enough to really get to know a tobacco but it's enough to make some personal observations, which is all any tobacco review is anyway!

Beautiful flakes! This is a nice, light Vaper that, like all the Stokkebye blends I've smoked, does not seem to aspire to greatness, but is very good indeed! I wished for more strength, but that's not the point of this blend. As someone who's Vaper education began with Cope's Escudo and original Three Nuns, this is positively lightweight. And I think that's its charm. There was still good VA flavor that developed nicely down the bowl and a bit more than just a hint of perique. Too much perique can spoil a good VA and this stops well short of "too much". This is honestly a tobacco that I'd like to experiment with further. I thought it was quite good. This would make an excellent starter VaPer for VA fans that are curious about perique. Even so, as they progress, they just might find themselves coming back to this one. Nothing not to like here.

This is a really nice, inexpensive flake. I have to admit that I was tentative considering the fact that I wasn’t thrilled with Luxury Twist and I thought Bullseye Flake average compared to Escudo and other VaPer “coins.” But this is a nice mild light flake that is light on the Perique and ages well. I do think there is a hint of topping on LNF. This is not a complex tobacco, but it doesn’t have to be when it’s good for what it is and this is good for what it is. If I had to pick two words that come to mind, it would be clean and sweet. There are other adjectives, but that sums it up for me.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love virginia tobaccos. I love perique tobacco. I love a combo of virginia and perique. And that's why I'm in love with Luxury Navy Flake! I tried LBF first and I will always have some at hand . But Luxury Navy Flake is the VaPer for me. First of all, I love the sweet taste of the virginia which is the dominant factor here. The spicy perique in the background is perfect. This blend is perfect as an all day smoke for me. No tongue bite what so ever, it stays lit without effort, burns down nicely right to the bottom of the bowl. The nicotine is there but not in a way that it will make your head spin.

If you are looking for a soft, sweet and spicy tobacco which you can smoke all day long, look no further. LNF is the baccy for you!!!

Edit: It's amazing what only a few months of aging does to this tobacco! I've opened a jar which has been sitting for 8 months only and the VA's are much sweeter. The perique moved into the background and the allround taste of the tobacco is fuller and more satifying. Soft and smooth and NO tongue bite what so ever. I'm going to cellar loads of this one.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Punto Oro Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Similar Blends: Unique.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very nice presentation of a navy flake. Blonde highlights of virginia, sweet fruit-apricot like aroma. My flakes didn't really need much drying out time, and it's easy to stuff it in the pipe any way you want. Clean taste, smoke slowly to get all the flavours, otherwise it can tend to get harsh or slightly bitter. Leaves a nice aftertaste of fruity apricot kind of in the mouth. I only smoke half a flake at a time as I am not a lover of nicotine.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes online

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Wow........What a great tobacco, beautiful flake that are great laying down so nice and neat in the bag. In fact my 16 yr old son picked up the bag and asked about the cut, he thought it was neat they were all laid down like a piece of nicely grained wood. The Virginia's come through nice and full. The Perique is their in the back end but not to far back that their missed this is a very fine flake. It has a nice nicotine kick, but not strong like 1792 (which I love )the flavor continues to get richer down the bowl. If you like Escudo or St. Bruno's you'll love this, it has no flat spots at all, and on top of the great smoke and quality of the tobacco the price puts it in the rotation over Escudo!!! First flake I smoked from Stokkebye (who always make's fine tobacco's) I smoked a lot of PS blends but for some reason had not tried their flakes. I'm glad I tried this one, I love flakes and this one is off the chain!!! It burns great, with a nice ash fantastic.....:)

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (33)

Luxury Navy Flake is like Escudo-light. A nice, medium thick flake of Virginia and Perique, Luxury Navy Flake is pretty much a classic VaPer. Like Escudo, LNF has a primary Virginia flavor, with the perique adding a bit of spice, and a bit of flavor...almost a plum-tone. I find that LNF delivers the best smoke with the fullest flavor when rubbed out. This is a blend that I make sure to always keep on hand. If you like VaPer's, then this blend is for you. Although, if you like VaPers, theres a good chance you are already familiar with Luxury Navy Flake...

Edit: I forgot to add that I find this blend has more flavor if it is rubbed, opposed to smoked as a flake...

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

A balanced Va/Per. It starts with the Virginias up front, tangy and grassy, then as the smoke develops, the Perique gives the expected prune, raisin and spicy accents. After awhile, the Virginia takes over but the Perique remains in the background. An all day flake with quality tobacco to enjoy slowly.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I must say: I LOVE this tobacco.

Reading the many favourable reviews here I decided to dig my 4 oz sample out of the cupboard and give it another go. With the result that Luxury Navy Flake has been smouldering regularly in my pipes ever since.

Too early to tell, but this might be my ideal VaPer flake. The measure of perique is perfect: just enough to impart extra flavour and body to the Virginia. But not enough to develop that mustiness one gets with heavier perique mixtures.

In small amounts perique has an exotic, almost perfumed quality to me. Very attractive to the nose and palate, but very mysterious too. Impossible to describe. Hopefully another thousand or so bowls will shed some clues.

LNF strikes me as similar to Orlik Golden Sliced, but I prefer the former. OGS can be a bit too rich and satisfying at times whereas the Luxury Navy Flake is a true all-day smoke for me. Two cobs and six slices of LNF would set me up fine for any outing. Simplicity itself. Or perhaps eight slices, should I encounter another piper along the way.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pride

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red), Former - Cross Grain Flake.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)

I go through a lot of this stuff. It's a top quality tobacco at bargain-basement price. Light, sweet, and grassy, this VaPer performs more along the lines of a straight Virginia. I find that the Perique is so restrained that I can scarcely find it most times. Mainly, I detect Perique in my nose on the retrohale, but I have been fooled thinking a blend contains Perique by Dark-Fired Kentucky and heavily stoved Virginia before.

At any rate, this tobacco is a great one. It can get boring at times, as with any, but it has very rarely ever given me an unpleasant experience. I'm putting up several ounces with some Myers' dark rum added to see what happens. I mean, it can't hurt and might elevate it to mythic proportions.

If you're looking for a VaPer, this may leave you unsatisfied, but if you're looking for a top notch mild-to-medium Virginia blend, this hits the spot. It's definitely a tobacco one can either mindlessly puff on or contemplate. A solid 3.5 - Maybe higher depending on my mood... It's all subjective.

Pipe Used: All the pipes I own, probably.

Age When Smoked: Various

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com, Pipes&Cigars, The Country Squire, The Epitome

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, F&T Cut Virginia Plug.

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (16)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

The flake is attractive vaguely reminding one of tree bark, easy to light and did not require many relights. Burns slowly even with frequent puffing. Neither of the two tobaccos in the Virginia/Perique shone forth, I found myself over puffing in search of a rich VaPer flavor. Very gentle sips along the lines of gentle kisses revealed some mild flavor. Patience is required and too much patience defeats the purpose of a relaxing and tasty smoke which should come more easily. I can't comment on room note since I smoked this alone, outdoors in some wind on the lanai.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)

Here's a satisfying flake that just gets better the more you puff on it. Cigarette smokers that want to switch over to a pipe, here's your tobacco. These flakes are thin and easy to rub out. The flakes are golden to light with some dark streaks that I guess is the wonderful Perique. From the top of the bowl the tobacco tastes tangy and fresh. Moving down a bit the deep taste of the Perique starts to play in and out of the sweet Virginia which causes me to close my eyes and drift away on the clouds of smoke into a land of enchantment. Aroma wise it's more acrid like a cigarette. Smells like tobacco,nothing fancy. The taste is very satisfying and the nicotene is really engaged. I will also add that the price is spot on!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A really fine Virginia & Périque offering. As this is geared to the milder end of the spectrum, very much in the Danish style, people who find Escudo or Three Nuns a bit too much might enjoy it.

Personally, I prefer more body, à la Three Nuns, and more Périque, certainly, but this is excellent, top-grade all the way, and truly inspiring, in a sunny Summer morning.

StogieBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StogieBear (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent tobacco that I've bought more than once and recently bought the 24oz box. The Virginia brings the grassy, fruity sweetness and there's just enough Perique spice to notice but not enough to overpower. Easygoing enough to smoke any time. I can't believe how cheap it is.

I've smoked it in several pipes and I'd say my #122 pot is best for this blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 606ks, 114ks, 122

Purchased From: 4noggins, Smokingpipes

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

PS/LNF is a Danish style Virginia flake with a honey golden color, neatly sliced into flakes just under 1½ x 2½ x 1/16th inches. They come packaged at a textbook correct moisture level, and rub out into a ball of thin ribbons very easily. There are no packing, lighting or burning issues; and the smoke is cool, dry, and bite free.

It has a low intensity but very definite citrus tang that I would describe as somewhere between orange and lemon: light, and quite refreshing. This is perfectly complemented by subdued Virginia sugars, to produce a low level sweet-tart sensation that plays on top of the grassy tobacco flavor in a most satisfying way. It supposedly has Perique, but I don’t detect very much beyond an indefinite fruity presence in the background, and there is no peppery pinch for which Perique is renown – just a low level piquancy from the Va.

Although it belongs to the family of racy Virginia flakes, it is fairly mild in sharpness, piquancy, and nicotine strength; and it has medium body, or mouth feel, and medium flavor. It produces a good volume of luscious smoke, and works best for me in a larger diameter bowl. I look upon this as an economical anytime smoke that doesn’t demand much attention – though there are flavor nuances to be discovered if you make the effort to look for them.

This compares very favorably with higher cost Va. flakes, and I recommend it to those looking for a typical example of the genre. In my book, a best buy.

StanleyEsoterica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StanleyEsoterica (3)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, PS LNF is very regularly cutted. When it is new, I tried several pieces, It smells cleaning flavour like the smell of grass after raining(maybe not exactly correct). And when smoke it, you will only find it's a lack of ripeness. So as people always do, I stored it for one and a half years. Then I try it again. Things changed, the PS LNF turn into dark brown flake, and when smoke it, you will find it much sweeter than that years ago, It really matures very nice by time. But it still has a bitter taste that because the raw material is still the low level and you can never change the truth. Anyway, when you see the price, I believe there is nothing to complain. How cheap this stuff is!!! Now I orederd 15 pounds and throw them into my cellar to see what will happen year by year. By the way, I want to introduce a way to make the LNF tastes even better, you could take some FVF and combine the LNF one piece after one piece, like sandwich, that will make the FVF dry quickly and the LNF will also get some sweet taste of FVF, the finished flakes are very interesting, both of the two, seriously, you may try it.

Pipe Used: Johs, stanwell corncob

Age When Smoked: one year and a half

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really want to like this more. This tobacco plays tricks on me. The false light and first few minutes of the bowl make me anticipate a delecious smoke. Sadly it almost always fails to live up to that promise. I have tried fold and stuff, cube cutting and fully rubbed out. It really seems to not make a huge difference.

Initial light, as described above, is fantastic. Tobacco seems to stay light fairly well. Requiring only minimal relights. I would reccomend a little bit of drying time. The first third of the bowl is quite tasty. Mostly hay and grass notes with very little spice. The second third of the bowl starts to become very bland and almost cigarette like. The final third usually gets tossed. I have found if pushed hard to get more flavor this cigarette taste comes on quicker.

I have smoked a few ounces of this and will cellar what I have left. Hopefully time will help this one.

Pipe Used: Several different briars. All for va or vapers.

Purchased From: Piesandcigars.com

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

Excellent. Beautiful flakes that are just about perfect moisture level. I have to compare this to Escudo, which is my favorite. It is a bit lighter and more "grassy" than Escudo, and I think there may be a tad more Perique. It smokes dry and cool (for a VA), with a nice little spice kick rolling under the smooth VA.

This is not Escudo, but it is waaay cheaper and very smokable,

This smokes great young, and I look forward to aging a stack of it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billiard

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Escudo.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is both by first VaPer and flake tobacco. Off to a good start I'd say. The Virginia is mildly sweet and spicy and the Perique adds just a little savory richness. I found that to appreciate it fully you MUST retro-hale and when I did it added a distinct brown sugar taste.

Update: This has now become my favorite VaPer and holds a solid spot in my rotation!

bubbagump Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bubbagump (1)

As far as VaPer's go, this is the most mellow that I've tried (comparing to Escudo, PS LBF, C&D Kickin' Chicken, C&D Five O' Clock Shadow, etc.). You get a hint of the Perique goodness, but it's not overpowering.

As the Perique content is on the low side, I didn't find the room note to be quite as toxic as some Va Per blends.

PS LNF tastes great. There's no flavoring/topping added. It's a good/basic smoke if you want a quality Va Per, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg (i.e. Escudo).

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Instead of rum there's Perique. The Virginias are like new mown hay (slightly earthy) and reasonably rich tasting. And as for the Perique in the blend, there’s NOT much—I would be very hard-pressed to classify this blend as anything approaching a true VAPER. In this blend the Perique acts merely as a spice. This blend may hold a certain appeal for the straight Virginia smoker.

There may be a light casing or topping that has been applied to this flake, perhaps some form of sugar solution, but it certainly wasn't overdone. This tobacco did not display much of a tendency to bite and it smoked smoothly from beginning to end.

This represents a GOOD value--I’ve purchased any number of blends at twice the price that I haven’t enjoyed even half as much as this one.

Easily deserves 3-stars and it may deserve more just because of the value it represents.

Age When Smoked: BULK

Similar Blends: Comoy Cask No. 4.

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, sweet-smoking, non-biting, dry-smoking, inexpensive, bulk Virginia flake. It seems to have no preference for being folded and stuffed or rubbed out to satisfy the bowl and prevailing weather. The text says LNF has some perique but, if so, it was lost on this piper. Still, it's a pleasant smoke that, once started, requires little maintenance work from the smoker. It's very mild at the start, seems to be at it's best in the middle third and, especially when folded and stuffed, can get bitter enough to call it quits nearing the end of the bowl. But it leaves an absolutely dry bowl at the finish, for me, anyway. Smoke it slowly; don't puff looking for taste that isn't there. Slow-smoking will deliver all it offers. I sometimes lace it with a wee pinch of Stokk Long Cut Virginia. At current prices, it doesn't cost much more than codger blends, not that there's anything wrong with those. I spent many enjoyable hours this Fall out on my deck smoking LNG in a Sav 910 or MM Diplomat watching V's of geese head South. It's been so enjoyable I can see why they're trying to make smoking illegal.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Cobs

Purchased From: 4Noggins

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not sure why I bother to be reviewer number 137 but just wanted to chime in to say that this is a very uncomplicated but welcome flake for me to have on hand. Being completely OCD I must have between 50 and 100 tobaccos around, plus 20 blending tobaccos for my own hobby and amusement. That said, when I just want to smoke but don't have anything screaming my name it's to this flake (and one or two light Englishes that are my mainstay) that I turn. I stick my paw into about 1 1/2 pounds that I have in a mason-like container, pull out a flake or two and I'm never disappointed. I said it's not complicated, but that's in the traditional sense. It IS complicated when you consider so unassuming a VaPer actually satisfying you like a big piece of cake, a thick steak or a bowl of pasta. I guess that's what it is -- understated and effective. Good stuff.

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have developed almost an exclusive taste for flakes and LNF is one of my favorites. The flavor is sweet and savory, there is sufficient nicotine to let you know you're really SMOKING TOBACCO and the Perique tickles my sinuses. The flakes are fun to work and this is a great all-around blend. I highly recommend this tobacco.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

A very pleasant easy smoking blend.Iam using the fold and stuff method as i do with all flakes.Great flavours coming through with just the right amount of Perique to give it a mild peppery taste.Will certainly be ordering some more.

A great tobacco. Mild yet flavoursome, with no bite and very agreeable and distinguished flavour. This flake is closer in flavour and structure to Orlik?s Golden Sliced, albeit there is no Burley here, than to other Virginian flakes (i.e., Dunhill?s Light Flake, Rattray?s Marlin Flake or any of Gawith?s varieties). It has a nice light brown colour, very well pressed, with a smooth and slightly piquant aroma. I personally could not detect any casing or toping: just plain, natural tobacco in a very subdued vein. Breaking up and packing are very simple. Lighting was also quite easy and it remains lit very nicely. Far from complex, the flavour is fresh, pure, and mild. Not much attention is required to smoke this one, so it becomes a very good reading, writing or listening companion. Instead of Burley, the light Virginias used in this flake are accompanied by a very discreet amount of Perique, just enough to give it more body and structure. As a result you get a very nice toasty taste, not at all overwhelming. Rather it has a very sober and subtle tang, which I find very elegant and pleasant. I have been smoking it for quite some time now in different settings, including the tropical region of Tehuantepec (near Oaxaca), where thermometers can reach a stifling 36°C. It never became tiresome, nor did it burn hot or showed any tongue biting proclivity. A Virginia flake smoker should give this one a try. It may not be the experience of a lifetime, but it will be an excellent smoke.

Callebaut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Callebaut (3)

I just smoked a tall narrow chambered bowl of this tobacco and for the price, it is very good. I’ve had it jarred for 8 months and it did very well with about fifteen minutes drying time. Folded and stuffed two flakes and just enough tamp to bring it right below the rim. Took to the match very well and was welcomed with a nice sweet, hay, grassy Virginia. I was surprised how the sweetness conversed with the light addition of the Perique. Perhaps it was the shape of my bowl, but the changes throughout the smoke were quite dramatic (although not complex) in a very good way. The components of this tobacco worked very well together and they almost seemed to be taking turns at showing what they had to offer - from slightly sweet to mildly peppery. I sipped this slowly; however, about the half way mark, the bowl started warming up. I dumped the ash and gave it a slight tamp, set it down to cool for a few minutes. When I re-lit, it only got better. This tobacco gets better right down to the bottom of the bowl, and when it was finished, I must say, I was a little disappointed. It was like saying goodnight after a really great date – like saying goodbye to summer. It burned clean, dry and for the most part, cool with no bite. I will always have some in my cellar.

Pipe Used: Castello Billiard

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Similar Blends: OGS.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

At first puff I like this, the flavour's quite light for a VaPer, there's more lemony Virginia than spicy Perique; lots more. So, the basics: it burns very well, and the smoke's about medium temperature. Personally I find the nicotine mild from LNF, to get close to medium takes a huge gulp. The room-note's light, and the smoke doesn't bite.

O.K., at first light I quite liked it, but after a quarter I'm simply bored with it. I recently reviewed their Luxury Twist flake and highly recommended it, but this can only have one star; it becomes more and more ponderous as I get down the bowl. And then, to kill the boredom, after half a bowl the flavour develops a bitterness; I'm disappointed! I was excited about this as I love VaPers but this isn't a good one. One of my least favourites:

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My favorite of the PS Luxury Flakes. Wow. For the price it is incredible...but the price is just the cherry on top. The flavor of the Virginias is super sharp (which is how I like my Virginias). And the Perique is not overbearing- just adds the perfect amount of condiment spice. Before my first bowl was finished I had ordered more.

Pipe Used: Sav Bing's Favories

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)

I got this as a sample from a friend. Unfortunately, it's not available here in the UK, so can only be procured from overseas suppliers. I am very happy that I got to try it, though, as it's a lovely smoke.

The note from the pouch it arrived in was a sweet mild smell, with a bit of spice underneath.

The appearance is dominantly blonde with darker flecks. The cut of the tobacco is superb, thin, delicate flakes, perfect for folding and stuffing, as the cut is so thin, that it burns brilliantly. Takes the light easily, and burns well.

The taste is mild, with a spicy sweetness very reminiscent of the pouch note. It's very pleasant indeed, understated perhaps, but easy & nice to smoke.

The strength of nicotine is mild-mild/medium.

The room-note is also inoffensive & quite thin.

All in all, a very good smoke - not outstanding, but deserves 3 stars. I wish it were available in this country, as I feel that this would very popular amongst the pipesmokers over here. Goes very well with light dry red wine, I find.

Pipe Used: Aeroshpere, GBD Bulldog, Ben Wade Chimney

Age When Smoked: Unsure (but fairly new, I think)

Purchased From: Sample from a friend

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403), Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red).

RoyOdhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RoyOdhner (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a wonderful Virginia flake, with a bit of Perique added for a little sumpin extra. It's technically a VaPer, I guess, but it's nothing like Escudo, Irish Oak, or Elizabethan Mixture. What it is is a back to basics, pleasant, all day smoke - call it a Codger Flake, if you like.

Nothing special or Earth shattering here. Nothing adventurous. Just a pleasant Virginia blend. It reminds me of freshly cut hay fields, with a tiny bit of peppery spice. Something to smoke when you just want a relaxing bowl of tobacco and don't want to put a lot of effort into it. I like my flakes rubbed-out completely, and LNF is a joy to rub out. Then fill, tamp, char, light, and puff away. I find it requires no drying time or relights, it doesn't bite no matter how hard I push it, and it has a pouch and room note that offends no one. Complexed or naunced it ain't, so if you're looking for something like that then you might want to move on because LNF won't give you what you're looking for. However, if you want a pleasant blend to smoke while you're puttering around in the yard, or out camping or hiking, or puffing away on while you're commuting to/from work, or just sitting around gathering wool then this is a hard blend to beat.

There is a flavoring agent of some type in there, but I'm not sure what it is. It reminds me a bit of molasis and plum, but then I'm terrible at trying to lable or describe such things. It's subtle, and it does not overpower the smoke. In that respect, it's kind of like the flavoring agent they use in Carter Hall... just enough to enhance the flavor of the tobacco. It ages very nicely as well, and it makes great cellar fodder.

I use a pencil case that I bought at Wally World as my smoking kit, and I carry the LNF in an old OGS tin. Fits nicely in the smoking kit, and it allows me to carry about a week's supply. Yezzir, I smoke a lot of this. I also smoke a lot of OGS and Erinmore. I like them all, and all are exceptional values. However, LNF is even more exceptional if you consider that it is a fraction of the price of OGS or Erinmore - and both of those are really inexpensive. In fact, if you order it in the 24 ounce box it comes out to less than $2USD per ounce.

Less than $50 for 1.5 pounds of great smoking pipeweed that ages in a most sublime manner? Yezzir, it's true. Are there better flake blends out there? Yes. Are there better bargains to be found on a really good daily blend? No.

Pipe Used: Falcons and Petes

Age When Smoked: Beats me

Purchased From: 4noggins and my local pipe shop

Similar Blends: The simple flavor profile, for me, puts this in the same class as OGS, Erinmore, and MacB Navy Flake..

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

The dense cut flake makes this a stronger tobacco than it might be in a finer cut. The Perique does not come through strongly; it is mostly stoved Virginia. A good strong smoke, with the richness of the stoved Virginia. Essentially a plain tobacco, but of high quality. Reccommended for the experienced smoker.

Purchased From: Goodfellas Victoria BC

TabacFanatic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TabacFanatic (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Ultra soft and subtle.

Rumor has it this is very close to (or perhaps the same as) the erstwhile magnificent A & C Petersen Caledonian Melange No. 499 Original Navy Cut. If so, then Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is an astounding value.

Look elsewhere for VaPer's that deliver the full-on perique experience with its typically rich and heavy mouth feel. Many of those VaPer's are excellent as well. But LNF is all about refinement and subtlety.

Don't misunderstand. The perique in LNF comes through. But it builds very slowly. And reveals, in my humble opinion, a more nuanced range of flavors. By mid-bowl the flake develops its full personality. With a beautiful palate drenching flavor and fullness that lingers until the end. Yet it's soft enough to be smoked repeatedly. Which I do often.

LNF is even more subtle in its use of perique than Orlik Golden Sliced. And that's saying a lot, because OGS is an absolute masterpiece of the VaPer blending art. The Orlik is undoubtedly brighter, fresher, and spicier in flavor. Whereas LNF is softer, and oh so mellow on the palate. Both offerings have great hidden depths. But I believe LNF slightly outshines its companion there.

According to experts, perique has hundreds of distinct flavor components. Enough to keep one busy for a lifetime of enjoyable pipe smoking, I should think.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 11

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: A & C Petersen - Caledonian Melange No.499 Original Navy Cut , Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red).

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)

I found this to be a wonderful tobacco. I received it a a very generous gift and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It was mild and smooth, very easygoing. I prefer to use the fold and pack method for this baccy. The flavors transition more fluidly. I would put this as an all day smoke. It reminds me of summer vacations at a lake, just all good smells culminate in the air. Definitely recommend.

Update, Sept 23, 2015 I aged some for one year, and it just turned into little slices of heaven. The VAs are more citrusy and floral. That hay-like flavor is a lil more chocolate-like than before. Its amazing how well it aged in such a short time. Furthermore, no acrid aftertaste, such a wonderful blend.

Pipe Used: MM Emperor, Millard, Dr. Grabow lark

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1.

Puff..puff..puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff..puff..puff (5)

I love this stuff and have been smoking it for years. It's great fresh and improves with some age. Moisture is perfect and rubs out easily. If you like Dunhill Flake, think of that with the slightest hint of Perique. In my opinion, this tobacco is better than Dunhill Flake and a fraction of the price. I think Virginia or Vaper smokers would each enjoy this smoke

Pipe Used: All of my pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged for several years

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Since I already posted a detailed review of the PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, I’ll limit this one to a side by side comparison.

The PS LNF is presented as a lovely largish wide tightly pressed flake. Where the LBF seems to primarily use brighter Virginias in its base, the LNF version mentions a healthy presence of mature flue-cured Virginias, which yield a flavor that’s somewhat nuttier, sweeter, and slightly caramelized. Where the sweetness in the LBF is reminiscent of light malta, here I found the sweetness more evocative of brown turbinado, with a distant hint of dark rum.

The LNF seems to have less perique than the LBF, and where the latter has a long milky, malty and peppery fleur de sel like finish that pulls delightfully at your salivary glands, the lighter presence of perique here gives a shorter and less peppery finish. Personally, I think a touch more perique could have helped balance the finish a bit better, but that’s just me.

Overall, I found the LNF to be sweeter and less creamy/peppery/elegant than the LBF. The LBF is more of a true VaPr experience, whereas the LNF seems much closer to a Mature VA, and the perique is only present as a light condiment. For me, the higher sugar content seemed to make the LNF burn a little hotter and more alkali, and seems slightly more prone to tongue bite as a result.

This is a 3 star smoke for me - a very nice mature VA flake. Recommended, but not quite a showstopper.

------------- Smoking Tips: I found that 1 flake of LNF is roughly equivalent to just under 2 coins of LBF. For me, cutting it crosswise in quarters, fully rubbing it out, then letting it dry for 15 mins before lightly packing seemed to work best.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A great blend at a great price, like most Stokkebye bulks in my experience. I find this blend to be a lot like OGS to my tastes. It is good and like OGS, it has much more a Va presence and less of a perique presence. I would say the perique is more noticeable than in the other blend, but still very light.

I recommend this, but don't think it merits four stars as their are many vapers that I prefer. My preference is probably tainted by the fact that I enjoy more perique in my vapers. I really don't think you can lose by buying this one.

Purchased From: Jovan's in Cleveland Ohio

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

bigterr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigterr (21)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As can be seen from many previous reviews this is a fine VaPer especially when factoring in the price. I rubbed out the flake - it took only 1 1/2 flakes to fill each of the pipes listed below. The lite was easy and the burn consistent with a relight only required when I was interupted by a phone call. Like PSLBF this blend burned to a mottled dark grey ash and no gurgles or dottle present at the end of the bowl. I agree the perique is very lightly applied which, in the abscence of the cavendish found in PSLBF, suited my palate just fine. Must say though I find myself favouring PSLBF the intermittent touch of sweet from the cavendish does really make a difference. With regard to the blends I listed as similar they are listed so that if you like one of them I can say confidently you will like this even though the low volume of perique makes for a milder smoke than some. In sum if you do not try this you are doing yourself a disfavor because at its price its a gem. I got this as a 2oz gift and I'm a cellar freak (just checked and I only have about 500 grams out of over 15 lbs of various tins that are less than 3 years old) but I had to try this after only 6 mo because the gentleman who provided it kept inquiring if I liked it. Well I do and asked him to include me in for 1/2 pound in his next order. Three stars for price, burning charteristics but not quite as tasty as PSLBF.

Pipe Used: Jobey Asti canadian / Castello sea rock canadian

Age When Smoked: 6 mo

Purchased From: gift

Similar Blends: Germain's Royal Jersy, Solani 633, Irish Oak, Escudo, MacB's Navy flake, Dunbar.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

A nice "Hay" like aroma, I like this blend either rubbed out or just fold and stuff, it has a nice virginia sweetness to it, just remember not to push it too hard and take your time. not sure how much Perique is in this blend as I don't notice it too much

Pipe Used: Butz-Choiquin D'accord apple

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A lighter styled VaPer that seems consistent, bowl after bowl. Luxury Navy Flake has more body and I taste a little more perique than in its brother Luxury Twist Flake. I like this better for that reason. The price is good, too; althought that does not influence my ratings. A good, reliable smoke.

Govern Yourself Accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)

LNF is a very nice virginia, It is mild on the tongue, and easy on the pocket book. As far as the perique in this blend is concerned, I barely detect any, but the great virginia flavor alone makes it a very nice smoke. I dont believe it to be cased as some in here have mentioned. Try some, I think you will like it.

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

I agree with some reviewers here in their assesment of stokkebye vas as subtle. That they are. Id add that they are also creamy, savory, restrained and tasteful. I guess that i mean this mostly in regard to this, my favorite p.s. offering by a long shot, because there are others in which i don't find all these positive qualities. But here they are all of the above, and more.

This blend is what vaper is about, at least to me. The toasty, grassy, figgy, ripe flavor blooms right off the match, and stays consistent till the end. It does deepen, but does not vary as you progress. I think of this blend as providing always what i can appreciate in orlik golden sliced only about 50% of the time. Its one of those genuinely satisfying flavors that we seek in our passtime. The virginias are superb, though different in character from most other blenders. The perique is present in perfect ratio for me. It is tasted in each puff, but discreetly, augmenting the va subtly but significantly. I enjoy some perique heavy vapers (bayou morning comes to mind), but the careful addition to create a synergistic flavor is what i truly appreciate here. The topping is mild and deftly applied as well. Overall superbly done. Nicotine is mildmedium. Sufficient. This is in my rotation and will likely always be. A beautiful smoke at a reasonable price. Ages beautifully as well.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: New to 2 yrs

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: OGS (but simply better in every respect)..

Don Nico Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Nico (2)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

On the the tip of the tongue you pick up subtle spice from the Louisiana Perique. Flue-cured pressed Virginia then leaves a hint of sorghum crossing to the mid-palate. Smoke it slow. Bought 4oz in bulk, condition was perfect, just the right moistness allowing a near-perfect burn. Extraordinary aroma in the bag. Easy to prep for the pipe, lights beautifully, near-perfect ash. My Dunhill Bruyere 4A LBS achieves the high rating. Try it in a 5 or 6. The Peterson Killarney Ebony 150 does not do it justice - avoid in smaller bowls. For older pipe smokers who'd like just a hint of sorghum or malt on their withering mid-palate. The Virginia is strong with nicotine as usual, the taste full in a large bowl.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney Ebony (150), Dunhill Bruyere 4A

Age When Smoked: It is mature and flue-cured...smoke right away

Similar Blends: It is unique, but has an old-school quality.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A nice, all-day and super affordable vaper flake that won't knock you over with originality, but also won't disappoint for what it is. Though I prefer several other vapers to this one, most notably Orlik GS, LNF has become an enjoyable mainstay in my rotation. At the price, I could not afford for it not to be! Especially for something to puff on when I'm a little to busy to devote full attention to the pipe.

Taste is about what you would expect out of bright Virginias. Refreshingly sweet with hay notes. I never get the lemon or citrus notes everyone is fond of reporting, but I guess you might find it here if you're one to pick up on such notes. The perique is much less peppery than say Escudo, and much more in the round, darkly fruity and sweet end of the spectrum. Compared to GS, LNF is quite similar but lacking the unique soapy, floral notes of GS and bringing more perique to the table.

It's good, it's affordable, it burns well...it's a solid 3 stars smoke for me. I find the flavors a lot more discernible smoking fold and stuff, but rubbing out can enhance the burn properties as usual. It won't wow you, but you might find it a decent working man's vaper flake to have around.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Age When Smoked: 1 year 3 months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, Reiner Golden Label.

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This an interesting blend in many ways. It was the first flake I had purchased and everything about it was kind of exotic at first. The color is unusual, hay-hued or kind of a dark gold with a greenish cast. As a bulk it has come in a variety of conditions; bought first as essentially a one ounce sample subsequent larger orders have produced nicer flakes with more consistent qualities including moisture.

Preparation of this flakes makes a big difference in its smoking quality. For me treatment of flakes is mostly about managing the tobacco so I can control moisture and pack the bowl. With this the preparation is the key to unlocking flavors. Fully rubbed out the taste is overwhelmingly grassy with a bit of mustiness like rye or even rope worthy of a nautical tobacco. Underlying this a deep dark earth and oak tone that I presume is the Perique. At first I questioned whether the St. James leaf was something I would delve into further. There was almost no sweetness. Nonetheless I found it interesting as an alternative to the bulk English I was mostly smoking at that point and ordered again. A larger sample was somewhat more moist and had an immediately sweeter aroma in the bag. I then tried the fold and stuff method mainly to smoke this flake as it was intended outdoors in some wind. It took a while to figure out how to tightly to pack this but once I zeroed in this stuff started to sing.

Folding and stuffing besides presenting a better burn unlocked the flavor of this tobacco. It was still mostly grassy, brighter, but still mainted the lingering but not unpleasant mustiness. However, I started to get the buttery sweetness of good Va, which spontaneously erupted from out of nothingness. The woody quality abated somewhat and light aromas of fermentation started to appear. The absolute highlight for me however is the citrus which peaks out from time to time. When this occurs the mouthfeel and taste is an herbed lemon butter which is outstanding.

The moral of the story is to experiment with this. It is inexpensive too which is a plus and I'll probably always keep some on hand. Despite the many positive qualities I am going to keep it as a 3 star for now. I think the grassy qualities could be off-putting for some. Also I get the sense that while the tobacco (meaning the actual physical leaf rather than the finished product) is high quality it is not of premium quality. Two final thoughts. What could this be if cellared? Quite nice I bet. Furthermore, Stokkebye was recently involved in some transaction and Newminster I believe is the new name for the old producer. Back to back comparisons would be a fun experiment.

Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pete (3)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A wonderful VA/PER blend. I tried this the first time, while vacationing in Italy and Switzerland a couple of years ago. Love the tin smell- my wife said it smelled like freshly cut hay. I'm glad I had a pipe with a large bowl, since the flake cut takes a little more effort to pack. I smoked it in the evening, with one of my two sisters; my older sister is a Camel non-filter smoker and she commented on how much she loved the aroma. As a lover of sweet Virginias, this one tops my list. Great flavor, no bite, and nice room note. I can't wait to order my next tin. I give it 4 stars an would recommend it to any pipe smoker- even those who smoke aromatics primarily.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: brand new

Purchased From: a pipe shop in Switzerland

Similar Blends: Stokkebye's Danish Export.

pendletonkm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pendletonkm (2)

Luxury Navy Flake...

When you open a bag of this stuff you are hit with a fruity/hay smell that you would expect from Virginia's. The flakes are lightly pressed, break up and load easily. There is nothing particularly special about this blend as you smoke it and that is one of the reasons it is so popular. The other reason is the price, for $2.66 oz (7 Dec 15@smokingpipes.com) you can buy a truck load of LNF on any budget. Smoking LNF I really only taste the Virginia's which is smooth with a hint of sweetness. The perique like most reviews is little to no impact on this blend. Consistent throughout the whole smoke that offers a satisfying experience down to the bottom of the bowl. A must try for anyone that likes Navy Flake or VaPer's.

Pipe Used: Cob or Briar

Age When Smoked: 0-1 year

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)

OK, so this is a very nicely presented, light virginia and MILD perique flake. Not too sure that there is any casing on this except for possible a mild sugar casing. Its a good blend, mild, grassy, with a bit of a mild/moderate nicotine hit (which is a good thing) and a manageable tongue bite (unless smoked contemplatively slow). I smoke this typically in narrower bowls having found that pot-shaped bowls do strange things to the burning characteristics of this and the other PS flakes. Nice stoving of the virginias happens towards the end and the perique (light perique, I might add) sort of whisps in and out and tickles your nose and throat occasionally in a delightful peppery/ figgy way. The only downside I found was that it lacks alot of flavor, really. Its a mild and unoffensive smoke, but there's not a whole lot going on, especially when compared to LBF which after appropriate aging, is a lot more flavor forward than this blend. I tend to puff this hard looking for flavor. Because of this ,I've been experimenting a bit with some different blends. First experiment involved mixing a flake of this with a pinch of mclelland blending oriental. I thought that the result was excellent, the light perique and bright VA which had aged in my cellar for a few months blended with the oriental nicely and gave a fragrant, exotic smoke. Next, I took appx half ounce samples of this, LBF and newminster round sliced and gave them a thorough soaking with Bacardi Select rum using a spray bottle with each sample in a small plastic dish. these I let bake in the sun for a few hours and finished the drying process with the tobcco spread on paper plates on the dashboard of my closed up car on a sunny day. I re-dehydrated the rum soaked flakes back to their original level and then put them away to age for a few weeks. After approximately 2 months I taste tested them. The Rum/ LBF was OK- nothing to write home about, but not bad and I'll have to work with this a little more until I form an opinion. I'll smoke the rest of it and decide whether I want to play with this any more. the rum and Newminster seems to work ok- although I suspect that the rum and kentucky will never truly meld. the rum and LNF however- WOW! Works very well. A definite improvement. I actually accidentally left this sample out for too long and it dried out to the point of being just under "crunchy" level--I smoked it at this level out of a straight unfinished apple shaped pipe and it was absolutely sublime, a perfect meld of the rum with the virginias without losing nay of the perique. Fragrant and full bodied, without a bite. Subsequent bowls held the same quality.

So, my final review and rating is as follows- as a well aged flake on its own, recommended highly. After a bit of doctoring and "navy-fying" with some dark rum- fantastic. I'm considering buying another pound and giving 8 oz of it the rum treatment then putting it away to age for a while to see if this just adds to the effect.

Pipe Used: Several Briars, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: various online sources

Similar Blends: Orlik GS, Virginia No 1.

Realtree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Realtree (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

When I smoke this flake right off the bat you are welcomed with the virgina tobacco with that Perique flavor I love this blend the flavors are well balanced the Perique gives the tobacco a little spicy taste. This is one of my favorite flake tobacco If you haven't tried this tobacco your missing out I love this tobacco must try the only down fall with this tobacco its pretty dry so it needs a little bit more humidty to keep this tobacco moist.. besides that its a great Flake....Great starter flake for beginners who want to get into flake tobacco.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I just picked up some PS Navy yesterday and have smoked a couple of bowl fulls now. I find it a rather pleasant, earthy smoke. It burned clean, all the way through but did give a bit of a nicotene kick, towards the end ofthe bowl. I did not get any of the "fruity" tastes some others have noted. All in all, I shall be adding this to my rotation for when I want a down to earth smoke and not something sweet. Revision to review. This stuff has grown on me and it did it rather subtely. I have found myself reaching for the LNF more and more often. Particularly, I find myself packing my pipe, the night before, to have for my "morning, drive to the office smoke." I get a sweet flavor from the LNF but not like that from an aro, which is an artificial, "added on sweetness." with LNF, the sweetness is coming from the tobacco itself and is more natural. I have now moved this stuff to the "favored tobaccos" section of my tobacco cabinet. I want to give it five stars but this website keeps making my rating give it only 4. Revision #2 While this is an excellent blend in any pipe, I have found it to be especially good in my MM Country Gentlemen pipes. Any cob, really, is good for LNF but the CGs just seem to match up to it, IMHO.

Purchased From: Winstons Humidor

Dr. Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Watson (3)

Picked up a small 2oz for relatively cheap from the local dedicated B&M, and I say, wow. This little bag contained plenty flake with little moisture, and immediately the grass, hay, and white pepper subdued a hint of rum lurking in this flake. While doing some work, I loaded my cob and burned a small bowl, amazed at the refreshing aroma and taste of this tobacco. Definitely a staple, for those with a Navy flake craving.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

WOW. Nicotine. But no tongue bite for me. I noticed pepperiness in the first bowl, but not so much after. This wasn't as 'smoky' as other english blends I have tried, therefore I liked it. FYI, I use a filtered pipe.

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Good VA flake with a nice hint of Perique. There is a casing, but applied lightly. Nice and sweet smoke, no tongue bite. Slightly similar to Orlik Golden Slices, and cheaper too since you can get it in bulk.

Though the saying "you get what you pay for" is often true, I don't believe it applies to pipe tobacco. Here is a tasty flake at a bulk price. This SAME flake is often repackaged in tins and given a different brand name, people swear one is better than the other when they are the same.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good solid balanced VaPer. For me, the Perique is evident throughout without being overwhelming and is nicely balanced by the straightforward VAs. The flakes are easy to work with and keep burning well. Those who prefer their tobacco on the sweet side might not care for this, but most others should give it a try.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never had anything with perique in it before, so this was a great value experiment to expand my smoking horizons. I liked the occasional pepperiness of the perique. I live in the southwest so I like spicy flavors, and even though I'm not big on non aromatics, I found this to be an enjoyable smoke with a subtle variety of flavors throughout the bowl. Cooler smoke than some blends but there was still a nip on the tongue occasionally. I will continue trying perique blends thanks to this tobacco.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

I really do love this tobacco. There are a couple of reasons. The value part I will get into in a bit, but the one thing I like about this flake is its honesty. No bells and whistles, no fancy tin, no silly name, just a navy flake that is damn good.

As with most Virginia blends coming out of the orlik factory, this blend is good fresh, but only becomes more luxurious with age. The great price allows you to buy a ton of this stuff and just tuck it in to bed for a nice undisturbed sleep.

The taste is nice and citrusy. The perique is evident but by no means overbearing. I think this tobacco could be given another name and put in a dolled up tin and sold for more than it fetches now. Instead the company keeps it as a no nonsense, inexpensive, darn good smoking blend. A must try and highly recommended.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)

Quite a pleasant Navy flake. The flavor is mild, not too far removed from Macbaren's Navy flake. There's hints of cinnamon, sugar, leather. The sweetness is present, yet very subtle. It smokes cool, and the flavor endures from start to finish. The perique is quite subtle, playing peek-a-boo and playing second fiddle to the virginia, which is wonderful. A good all-day smoke.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm primarily a Latikia/oriental guy, but sometimes enjoy a change of pace, especially early in the day. Either straight virginia or vaper type blends seem to be the ones I always go to. I decided to try nave flake, so here goes my impressions.

It's very easy to light, even folded and stuffed in the bowl, and requires no relights smoking at a normal pace. Not a nicotine monster, but enough to satisfy. I can't make it bite, even puffing like a freight train. I'm sensitive to too much perique, burns my mouth, and the perique is here in this one, just a little lighter than other vaper blends on the market, so it works well for me. I consider it an all day smoke, great flavor, and if you factor in the price, its a no brainer.

I think you have to smoke this blend for a few days to begin to appreciate the subtile flavors, and slow smoking really brings out the sweetness. I think i've found my go to blend on a daily basis. I like Cornell and Diehl's Briar Fox only a little better than this, which I can buy in bulk and save quite a bit of coin. Recomended

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)

This is one of my favorite VaPers. I usually smoke this using my Charatan pipe. I gently rub the flake(s) thereby creating thicker strands. I don't rub it to the point that it creates a ribbon. I figure that having thicker strands would equate to a richer, fuller, and more flavorful smoke.

Unlike McClelland's Virginia/Perique Flake (Bulk 2015), LNF has a more subtle and pleasant aroma. McClelland on the other hand, has a more "ketchup" like, or as one of my friends would describe it, "barbeque" like aroma. Mind you, I do love McClelland's VaPer. As a matter of fact, it is one of my favorites as well.

I do find that LNF starts out to be somewhat mild, then the strength and flavor becomes more apparent as you go deeper into the bowl. A hint of sweetness can also be noted as well.

Pete Stoke did well on this one. The combination of VA and Perique is just perfect. If one were to start getting into VaPers, this would be a great one to try. Not only would this be a great beginning, but also NOT cost prohibitive as it is a moderately priced tobacco. I RECOMMEND you try this. This is one blend that will not let you down.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

I write this review considering LNF against all tobacco, not just Navy Flake as a style. I don't have a whole lot of Navy Flake background, heck MacB's Plumcake is the closest I have come with any regularity. That being said, I have really enjoyed this bag of tobacco. The feel and consistency of the flakes is firm and sturdy. They lend themselves well to being folded up and the ends ruffled just before loading the pipe. Usually I like to rub flakes out to a nice ball of ribbons, but this one seems to develop a measurably greater amount of complexity when broken up, but not rubbed to shreds. I find it to be bite free, even with my madman puffing pace I sometimes can't help but engage in. I didn't notice any added flavors like I notice with the aforementioned MacB. What I did find was thick, sweet, fresh turned summer hay. That little sour/spicy tang from the Perique. Occasionally a soft, thick pillow of a buttery caramel that would back itself into something leathery and earthy. This is a real bang for the buck flake, and I'll bet sealing it up for a while in a jar will make it even better.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)

This is the only Navy flake I've tried and enjoyed it. Though I read that Navy's are supposed to have more of a rum flavor. I didn't catch it but I'm still learning... I love Stokkebye's other flakes and will continue to buy this one as well. Update: this flake is very good, I could smoke this all day! It has that hayish flavor that reminds me of granpa's shed in the middle of the cornfields of Indiana. Topped just right for a natural navy flake. Lord, I love pipe smoking.

Singularis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Singularis (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderfully sweet to the palate and the nose, this excellently presented, perfect dryness flake is just what the doctor ordered (if he prescribed a Va/Per, or any kind of Virginia Flake).

I find this much more palatable and smokable than its close companion, Luxury Bullseye Flake. Maybe I'm a lightweight, or maybe I'm still growing accustomed to the rich plummy spice of Perique, but to me Bullseye is just a bit too strong and in your face, whereas this Navy Flake offers a wonderful all day smoke.

After finishing off my Virginia Slices from Sutliff, I was wanting to try a high-quality, well-rated tobacco of similar taste and presentation and decided to give this a go. I am very much pleased with the experience.

Only caveat is that the nic-hit is medium to strong if you are smoking a generous sized bowl. But certainly not as strong as Bullseye.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Amadeus Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks old

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C, Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403).

Big robert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big robert (1)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This one is a strange one for me . A simple blend , burns well, easy to load ect... but for some reason sometimes the flavors are muted. Sometimes it shines and i think i need to get about 5 pounds for the cellar and other times its just boring .. Briars , corn cobs, clean pipes, dirty pipes, i can never seem to keep it consistent . That said i still recommend this as solid choice in a clean easy to handle flake that wont break the bank

Pipe Used: BRIAR

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: smoking pipes

getyur@sstomars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
getyur@sstomars (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

all i can say is this is one of gods gifts to pipe smokers. it everything a tobacco should be imo. it never smokes hot, its sweet but not overly so. it burns and packs well. taste great out of any pipe (one of the first things that really amazed me about smoking a pipe was how influential a pipe is on the flavor of a tobacco.) its always available, and it has a price point that cant be beat. even if it were twice the cost it would still be in my top 5 blends.

the flavor is a nice almost malted sweetness. kinda light bread/yeast. and perique has to be the most odoriferous tobacco ou here.

its great fresh and even better with a little age. buy in bulk you will love it!!!

Pipe Used: every kind even good when rolled into a cig

Age When Smoked: 0-5 years

Similar Blends: orlic, it has to be blended at the same blending house, if its not im a monkeys uncle.

FreshNewEra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreshNewEra (4)

While I still do not feel extremely qualified to review blends and given that my palette is still developing, I enjoy this flake. I find that it is predominantly a Virginia experience with a noticeable enhancement from the spicier Perique. My flakes have about 2-3 months of age on them in a jar and I do like it more now than when I first purchased it. However, my first taste of it was my first week of piping so I don't know how reliable that first impression is. For VaPers, I tend to like those that have a majority Virginia profile. I really enjoy certain straight Virginias such as Full Virginia Flake and Dunhill Flake, especially in the morning. I also enjoy Orlik Golden Slices, which seem like a small step above a straight Virginia. LNF seems one incremental step above Golden Slices as far as Perique involvement to me. While I enjoy English blends with noticeable Perique, I do not seem to enjoy heavier Perique VaPers as much such as Elizabethan Mixture which I find dry and on a bitter side. Escudo seems to be about as far as my palette is willing to enjoy the Perique contribution in a VaPer. But that one I do not enjoy in the morning, where I seek the sweeter Virginia component. So all in all, LNF I find a great flavor profile with the Virginia sweetness coming through and a good enhancement on the spicy Perique and also at a very good value price point, if cost is a consideration in your tobacco purchase.

Pipe Used: Peterson P-Lip 999 Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2-3 months

Similar Blends: Somewhere in between Orlik Golden Slices and Dunhill Dark Flake.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (32)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After extending my palette, I'm adjusting my review accordingly.

First, I get tongue bite off of this. I don't get a lot and its not bad enough to really make this a non-smoker for me, but I can't ever really smoke a bowl without feeling it for a while.

That being said, I find this to taste better than LBF. LBF just doesn't taste good to me. It's grassy and peppery with an occasional whiff of something sweet and I don't like it because I like to taste Virginia in my Va/Per.

I've smoked this one new and after aging. I do like it enough to have almost a pound of it to always have on hand. The Virginia seems toasty and light and I taste it well, but its not quite as good as other straight Virginia flake I like to smoke, but that's ok. This has other components.

I do get some perique. Peppers up the toasty Virginia really nicely and occasionally I get a sweetness ever and I mean ever so slightly, probably the light rum casing.

I have a lot of tobacco's and Va/Per's on hand. Elizabethan, Telegraph Hill, Bayou Morning are some of my staples and I also enjoy Rattray's Marlin Flake and all Mcclelland Virginia's I've tried. This isn't the best of the best, but its comparable and the best deal of the bunch. I just wish I could figure it out so that I wouldn't get bitten.

Pipe Used: Briar, Cobb

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (37)

This is VaPer is a favorite of many for good reason. The virginias are light citrus and hay, and honey sweet. The perique is just enough to add some body and dimension, with notes of raisin and a hint of pepper that becomes more noticeable past the halfway point. A no frills, no bite, light and naturally sweet, all day blend. Personally, I favor loading this one in a Missouri Meerschaum General for a long and pleasant smoke. 3.4 stars.

Pipe Used: cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: 2 to 6 months

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, Comoy's Cask No. 4.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very solid presentation from Peter Stokebbye, with no loose ends or weak spots. With fig, raisin and earthy undertones, the tin note really is something to die for. I cannot tell about the moist content out of the tin as I am buying in bulk, but despite the fact these flakes might benefit from some airing time, they smoke perfectly fine straight out of the bag. As you light up your pipe you're hit with this subdued spiciness and sweetness, which obviously is coming from the Perique and Virginia leaf it contains. By the looks of it, they seem to contain a fair amount of bright leaf, but they are quite mellow, smoke cool in your bowl and I cannot detect any tongue-bite at all. This baccy is very easy-going on the palate and does not seem to develop any harsh spots as your progress with your smoke. I can only imagine what cellaring could do to these flakes.

Edit: 26/08/2017

I don't usually smoke Virginia tobacco on a regular basis, but I found myself reaching more and more for this tobacco. In true honesty, this baccy is growing on me day by day, and the more I smoke it the more I like it. I find Virginia leaf somewhat bitey, so I only use it every now and then when I am in the mood for it. But these flakes are so forgiving and soft on the palate that can be used every day.

Piley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piley (2)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

If I could give LNF 0 stars I would. This tobacco bit my mouth worse than anything I've ever smoked ,my mouth felt like a catchers mitt after smoking. It took away any enjoyment I might have gotten which was very little anyway because the nicotine is almost not present. Ageing the tobacco did nothing to improve it.

Age When Smoked: fresh to 1 year

Purchased From: online

Yonatan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yonatan (7)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

There's not much to say about this flake, its a high quality VaPer. The Virginia is delicious and so is the perique. I'd say that most of this bowl literally tastes like warm sourdough and French breads, with herbal spicing. Very pleasant morning smoke.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Try though I may, I just can't seem to like this stuff. I've tried folding and stuffing, dicing and packing, rubbing out. I've tried it in a variety of pipes. I've tried it right out of the bag, and with up to an hour to dry.

LNF is presented as very attractive, very neat and clean golden brown flakes. I got mine from Smoking Pipes...I only ordered 1 ounce, but they sent a ziplock bag with 1.8 ounces according to my scale. There's one way to lure in a repeat customer! The smell in the bag is kinda plain (though not unappetizing)...just a little whiff of straight tobacco smell with what seems to my nose to be a very faint topping of rum.

In the pipe, it lights easily and burns down nice and dry.

So it looks good, smells good, and burns good....what's the problem? For one, LNF seems to me to be completely devoid of nicotine. Nada. Zip. Least amount of nicotine I've ever gotten from a non-aro that I can recall. I'm sure that might be a plus for some, but it's a definite minus in my book.

Secondly - taste. I don't find it unpleasant per se, but it is rather boring. I taste a hint of sweetness, maybe a little of that rum if I reach for it, and spicy pepper. The spicy pepper is big bold and WAY out of proportion. One dimensional, not at all complex, no change as I smoke it down. Mouthfeel of the smoke is thin and flat. And it bites my tongue unless I'm very careful.

I think my review made it sound like I hated the stuff, but I really didn't. I think it's pretty decent baccy, and the price can't be beat. It's just not my cup of tea.

originally reviewed 12/14/2011, but I have revisited this blend several times since, and I still don't care for it.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

How did i forget to review LNF when i first started writing reviews 5 years ago i'll never know. I have smoked more Lux Navy Flake than any other tobacco, ever. Why?

Because it's a great easy all day smoke that keeps delivering. Because it's very affordable (a lb on special is a third the price of tinned stuff). Because it smokes so well from top to bottom and is delivered at the perfect moisture content. Because you can smoke it fast or slow. Because it age's really nicely and just 6 month in a jar is quite noticable and 1 year is fantastic. Finally, because with a bit of age it's better than 95% of the much more expensive tinned tobacco i've tried.

I hope you'll give it a go as i'm sure you will not be disappointed.

YaM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YaM (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Navy Flake is almost the same as the Cask No.4. Luxury Navy Flake taste has put sugar in tea. Cask No.4 taste has put the syrup to lemon tea. Their taste varies depending on the conditions. So, I like both of cigarettes.

Similar Blends: Comoy's of London - Cask #4 Stand Fast Navy (Comoy's).

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)

SInce the first light I loved this.

Beautiful looking and easy to pack as flake, semi-rubbed or totally rubbed. Has a cool, citrical adstringent natural taste, and a peppery note just in the right amount to make it interesting but not overwhelming. And leaves a wonderful aftertaste in your mouth!

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Nice flakes. Hints of all that is associated with the typical vaper. Just too bland for my tastes and for that reason a utilitarian change of pace smoke for me. Burns well.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Boom! One of my new favorites. A perfect smoke on a hot summer day. A very clean flavor from the Virginias. Cool and easy burning. I love it.

Pipe Used: Moonshine Pipe Company Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: 6+ months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)

Thin short rectangular flakes, mostly mid browns, quite dry and fall into strings at the touch.

The pouch note is distinct and sweet: I get cinnamon and brown sugar and something like maple, perhaps the faintest hint of vanilla. I wonder if there is Burley in this, because there are also nutty aromas to be had.

Takes a light easily and the sweetness persists. The Perique here is subdued with its presence made known by plum like overtones and a pepper like tickle at the back of the throat and on the nostrils. The Virginias are not the bright citrus and hay sorts, but are more mid range, darker and fuller.

This is a beautifully balanced tobacco, with a fair amount of nuance. It is imo a far better tobacco than PS Luxury Bullseye Flakes. I enjoyed it very much and was tempted to give it 4 stars.

Update Feb 16. After 6 months and about a kilo of this stuff I am revising it to 4 stars. Easily one of my favourite tobaccos. This stuff is just so gentle and user friendly and full of taste.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier, Missouri Pride

Bleepy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bleepy (9)

Wonderful, balanced spicy yet slightly sweet tobacco that folds and stuffs easily and burns coolly. Takes a bit of flame to get started but, once started, keeps going. One of my faves.

Mildly sweet and spicy. The flavors of the tobacco are mild, smooth, and very mellow. Can't really separate the Virginias from the Perique as the Perique is lightly applied and the two have melded together during the processing of the flake. If you like it mild and mellow this would be an excellent choice for you.

Mild in body and flavor. Rubs out easily and burns perfectly.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Sometimes a smoker learns how to smoke a given blend. I have smoked (and I dearly love) Luxury Bulls eye Flake. Luxury Navy flake is a Va/Per that is very economically priced from many sources and I decided to give it a try. i packed the first bowl enthusiastically and I puffed away. It was not tasty. For the second bowl, I opened up the plastic bulk bag and left it open for an hour. I smoked my second bowl and it was pure heaven! The blend is tasty and naturally sweet to my taste buds and the perique gives it a nice tang. I purchased another 8 ounces to cellar immediately.

This is a blend I will never be without

Pipe Used: Irwin Billiard

Purchased From: Indian Tobacco Traders GR MI

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)

This is part of my equation for a perfect morning. Cup of coffee, early dawn, crisp spring morning, and LNF in a straight billiard. I pack it tight and puff it SLOWLY almost at the point of going out. I fold it to where it looks like a "z" from the top, then roll it up and stuff it in a smaller pipe. It has a saltiness to it and the natural subtle sweetness that comes from a good matured VA with just enough Perique to add some spice and depth, but its balanced very well. An excellent value.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: New and aged

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a good, all-day VaPer flake. I received my sample in a trade with a friend. I immediately jarred it up and forgot about it for several months. I just recently rediscovered it, and I must say that I enjoy it. I have a Peterson 999 that I have devoted to Virginias and VaPer blends exclusively, so I loaded it up. I simply folded the flake and stuffed it in the bowl.

After one false light I was off and running. Initially I tasted what I thought to be a casing. It was a mild, anise-like flavor that was very pleasant. Once it heated up a bit, this subsided and the sugary sweetness of the VA's came out. The Perique is certainly there, but only in the perfect amount. It was quite possibly the most well-balanced VaPer that I have had so far. You'll experience a bouquet of flavors from this one, and it seemed to change up from bowl to bowl. I'd recommend this for someone looking for a good, all-day VaPer flake that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'll be ordering more to cellar.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999

Purchased From: A gift from a friend

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

The virginias are young and lack any depth. The perique is harsh, sharp and bitter. This is just a cheap tobacco at a cheap price. There are far better VaPer tobaccos and flakes available. Don't be misled by the cheap price of this one, thinking you're getting a bargain. Like many of the other Stokkebye blends, this is poor quality, cheap tobacco.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (13)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Beautiful flake. Crumbles easily. Packs and lights well. Nice mild flavor. Strong room aroma (that I like). I don't notice the Perique.

But... This tobacco bites me... A lot! Whether rubbed out, folded, or crumpled up, and smoked in different pipes. It burns my mouth. I cannot take long slow draws on this one. Just quick, gentle sips.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Dublin, Beo billiard, MM cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and after 1 year of age

Similar Blends: G&H Brown Flake.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Pouch note is apricot. Dried apricots from the bulk bin at the hippy food mart to be exact. I can smell a bit of that leathery, oily, sweet, and heavy flue cured aroma, reminding me of tobacco drying barns.

Performing a "Z-Fold" of the flake, after letting it dry about 5 min (it was actually just about right straight from the bulk bag) I found it shoved perfectly into my MM Legend cob, like a bundle of firewood held vertical.

Initial light is grassy and sour, like green apple. There is a faint sweetness and hint of a fruit topping, or maybe it's just a very sweet tobacco. The heavier, thicker cured tobacco flavor comes in just enough to give this body and weight, like caramel. After the smoke has left my mouth, I get a very small amount of pepper... just a bit, but I know it's there.

Halfway though the bowl, and this thing is burning like a stoved furnace. I guess this flake burns well. I had to set it down. After the bowl calmed a little, I continued to get the same great flavor out of it... lots of sour apple-like notes with a pepper back. The pepper is much more aggressive on the second half of the bowl, but is in no way overpowering.

I was outdoors for this one, so no real commentary on the room note.

I did very much enjoy this flake. Seems like the tart apple notes took center stage, with sweet and spicy taking supporting roles.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown (Bulk)

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)

I really don't like VaPers, but that's not the criteria I will judge this blend on. No doubt that VaPer lovers will enjoy the taste of this blend more that I do, but what I haven't been able to get past is the nagging bite. I've smoked this blend at all sorts of paces: in leisure, on the go, at work, in the mornings, in the evenings, in winter, in summer, and beyond. In all settings, the bite has always been there to some degree. It won't bite fiercely, but it's consistently there.

If you're a bit more seasoned than myself, then you may not have a problem with this flake, but for someone who has been smoking less that five years like myself, you're tounge is probably not up to the task.

If it wasn't for the consistent bite, I'd surely give it a 3 or 4.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)

Smells delicious, with hints of nuts, and figs. It smokes well enough, but has a bit of a bite, must be sipped. Over-all a decent Va/Per and in a beautiful flake.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 months

Purchased From: Morgan Hill Cigar and Wine

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)

One of many Vapers I've tried and for the money you can't beat it. Burns well and tastes delicious. You can't go wrong with this one!

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (25)

I really like this blend. I usually smoke it in larger pipes as a good all-afternoon smoke. Too many Virginia-Perique blends leave me feeling queasy. This one doesn't, and it tastes great. It has a little sweetness from the Virginia, but it doesn't seem to bite. I highly recommend it.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Decided to get a sample of Navy Flake to see what the fuss was about. I am an aromatic lover so most "unflavored" tobaccos are just about the same in my book. After getting it stuffed into my pipe I found it lights and burns nicely. The taste is well, tobaccoy. Nothing special in my opinion, nice smoke. Did not notice any tongue bite but again was smoking a bit slower than normal. Probably a decent smoke if you are into this kinda thing. I suppose the best thing I can say about this is I won't throw it away, probably put it away and smoke it once every few months for a change of pace.

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)

This tobacco is the citrus and the hay. As another reviewer has stated, the Perique peppers just a bit and then disappears; however, the Virginia dominates in a delightful exchange between sweetness and hay.

Let me state that I am a fan of PS blends, for the money they are a great value and have many good blends that I smoke alot. Somehow though, this one escaped me. I love a good VaPer, and while this one is no Escudo, it is a very pleasant smoke and i am enjoying it. It is a very handsome flake, thinly sliced, very uniform in shades of brown from Khaki to medium in color. It comes way to moist for my tastes, but dried somewhat, it produces a nice sweet smoke with a touch of spice in it. The room note to me is great but AI have to put it in the pleasant to tolerable catagory as my wife is not find of it. Once loaded in my pipe, it takes several tries to get it lit but once going, it gives a nice creamy, smoke with the VA flavor soming through loud and clear and the Perique on the weaker side, just giving it spice without the plum taste I get from a lot of VaPers. If steaily puffed it stays lit but if smoked to slow one must relite it several times. It burns clean all the way to the bottom of the pipe leaving a grey powdery ash. I think I prefer some of the other Luxery blends to it but I will return to this blend from time to time as it certainly provides a good smoke.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice flake and at a great price. Upon lighting you get a Virginia hay/orange citrus note, something similar to Troost. After a 1/4 of the pipe you are still looking for the Perique but instead the flavor has mellowed similar to Orlik's Golden Slices (Red). Still very mild, no bite and a sweet hay flavor as the citrus is gone. The bottom half is my preference, as the Perique starts to show itself, I personally would like more. As I started to puff away to bring out the Perique I noticed I had to back off due to some small amount of Bite. This might improve with cellaring but I'll stick with Weybridge for a cheap Vaper smoke and Escudo when I want a treat. Updated 4/10/11, After allowing this to breath, I would like to give another star to "recommended". I find myself going to this tobacco more and more. It's not complex, but a good on the go tobacco.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

PS Navy Flake may not be one of the best in it's genre but it is still a very solid Va/Per plus it's a flake which are always fun to play with. If you're a fan of Va/Pers than you owe it to yourself to try this blend at least once and why wouldn't you because it can be had for dirt cheap. I'll admit that if I smoke too much of Navy Flake it can get a bit tiresome but that is about the only negative I can think of. Enjoy!

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

PS Navy Flake… A somewhat thin and larger flake readily available in bulk. One of the three in the P.S. luxury series, that IMO is well worth the asking price, which by the the way is very reasonable for such quality. Judging by the number of reviews this product has received, it looks to be quite popular as well, and it's easy to see why. Simple rubout and load, takes to the match and with only a few relights, stays lit, with no bite or harshness and has all the bright Virginia flavors you could hope for. Definitely a Virginia dominate blend, where the Perique is noticeable, but far from the driver's seat, a condition that works for me. At this point of having smoked a dozen or so bowls, I can find nothing to complain about, and don't see that changing, except maybe for the better with some age. Of the three, I put this one as my favorite, and as far as that goes, maybe one of my top 10 all time favorites. Getting this (4oz) sample to try was a fluke, I thought I had my fill of Navy this or Navy that, but I was wrong, one more was the charm. I ended up with something new breaking into my rotation. So as it turned out, I would recommend this tobacco to anyone that favors a milder Virginia, including beginners. 4 stars.

PS… Smoked in a smaller bowl briar, dedicated to Virginia tobaccos.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

Cant say mmch more than whats been said . Its a great blend that I give 3 stars to . If the strength were kicked up a little I'd give it 4 .... UPDATE 4/2011 .. The strength is fine .. This is a perfect blend ! 4 stars

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

This Pete's blend is my absolute favorite. This is my go-to blend, and I never tire of it. I can't say anything bad about this blend. This made me so glad that I'm a pipe smoker. After countless trials and errors with different flake tobaccos, this one is a true gem. And the prices for this in bulk are more than reasonable...

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very good for the virginia smoker on a budget citrusy virginia taste pretty much the whole bowl, smoke slowly and you will be rewarded with a very pleasant virginia taste, aging does not seem to improved or detriment this tobacco. For the price it can be beat and that's why is getting 3 stars from me. The perique is none detectable for my taste buds, but it has to be there because if not this would bite hard.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

This baccy has to grow on you a bit to fully appreciate it. The first bowl was a "Neah" but after 10-12 bowls, I really started to like it.

Rubs out easily to fine strings. Very few sticks. A little too moist as received. After a days drying, packs easily, lights easily with 2 lights and smokes all the way down with no fuss and does not become objectionable toward the bottom of the bowl. No bad aftertaste in the pipe or mouth. Does not smoke hot or bite. Taste is pleasantly sweet and mild as is the room note but I wouldn't really call it an aromatic. The perique shows itself well without any dominance. Very good quality leaf and treatment.

A good 2nd use for this blend is it has saved a few trash baccys that I couldn't really stand otherwise. By mixing it in various strengths, they have become somewhat enjoyable.

Although not one of my very favorites, will definitely order this again and keep on hand. A good strong 3 stars.

A very nice simple Virginia flake. Nothing could be farther from those aged McClellands (which I love) than this. Grassy, naturally mild and sweet; and I have enjoyed it on its own and also as one of my favorite Virginias to blend. I have been meaning to get more of it and certainly will. The only Stokkebye I prefer to it is Bullseye. I do not taste much perique in it but sometimes add some, which for perique fans such as myself, complements beautifully.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Its a good day to be alive when you have a full two-ounce pouch of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, backed up by a half dozen other pouches of Stokkebye blends on my side table. I'm almost tempted to just eat it right out of the pouch.

I just finished a full pipe of this wonderfully spicy, but mild tobacco. Sitting on the back porch, listening to the frogs croak in the back pond, the cool breeze was not strong enough to rob me of the additional second-hand pleasure of enjoying the complex aromas that still linger in my memory.

I paired this with a glass of Aberlour 16-year-old single malt Scotch whisky. I'm glad I chose a bit stronger malt to go with it. A weaker Speyside or a Lowland malt would have been lost on the palate. Next time I'll try a more expensive 18 year-old Macallan, or something else with a strong oakey complexity. As I said, life is good.

The wife, who tolerates my more masculine quirks with a guarded feminine fascination, even asked me what it was. (Note that she did NOT ask "What the aytch-eee-double-el IS that?" as she is often wont to say). So that's a good thing.

I originally reviewed this in the summer of 2008. As of November 2012, this blend has earned a solid 3-star rating. Of the 116 ratings, over 75% have granted it either 3 or 4 stars, and only five reviewers have given it a 1-star rating. One of those is an Australian who complains that there isn't enough Perique. He should try the P.S. Bullseye flake. Another admits that its the first Virginia/Perique he's tried. And a third complains that its too hot, and is probably just packing it too loose or puffing too fast. This blend needs a slower more peaceful opportunity to explore its complexities.

For those of us who consider it a 4-star blend, it hits the right spot. I hope to enjoy this the next time my Lodge brethren meet on the level after a hearty steak dinner.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

To summarize the whole smoke I would say that it was bland. Bland to the point of monotony. I kept hoping that maybe, just maybe the taste, strength, or spiciness would develop somewhere but it didn?t. Nothing stood out to me with this blend. Oh and it had a bite like a rabid dog when I smoked it a bit too fast.

Update After smoking more of this and aging it for a bit it really developed in a good way.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Just another VaPer. A bit tangy to my palate, and with less perique than desired. I feel that aging should improve it big time, and I might update accordingly in a year or more.

Tongue bite is also an issue. Mild taste notwithstanding, nicotine level is medium, so it doesn't lead to overpuffing.

The upside is the price.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

This is an occasional smoke for me. The presentation and quality of the product is top-grade, as is the price. It's not my favorite primarily because it seems a little raw sometimes. I enjoy Luxury Bullseye flake more, but all-in-all still a premium offering.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

This is not bad, and as I recall it is not very expensive. It will bite a tad if hurried and as other reviewers have noted, the perique is not present in any significant quantity.

It is sweet, cheap, flavorful, tasty and burns well. What else can you ask for. I like this a little on the dry side with very little rubbing out, other than for the charring light. Not bad at all.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)

This is my regular smoke and, if I could only have one tobacco, this would be it.

It's not the best in any single category (aroma, taste, bite, easy of lighting, moisture content, etc.) but its toward the top end in each and it never bores, tires or offends. Also, the price is great and the quality consistently high.

I agree with the other reviewers that it's light on the Perique but, for me, that's OK.

If you smoke a lot of Virginia tobacco, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first started smoking a pipe I would smoke nothing but aromatic tobacco. These days I can't tolerate anything but all natural. This tobacco would be one of my favorites if not for the mild casing. It is one of the mildest casings I have ever tasted mind you, but it is a casing nonetheless. It is a beautiful tobacco to the eye-flakes of golden yellow and black specks of perique. This is a quality Virginia and perique blend. The perique is barely noticeable. It can bite if puffed on too fast. However,after several years of aging the bite has gone away. For someone seeking an extremely mild aromatic this would probably fit the bill quite nicely.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first foray into the realm of Virginia/Perique blends, and I feel this was a great introduction. The flakes are well made. The tobacco used is high quality, with the Virginia being dry and toasty, with the Perique supplementing the flavor with a peppery spice, and a stewed fruit mouth feel. Nothing monumental, just a good relaxing smoke. I'm not sure if this style will become a favorite, but this was a very enjoyable start.

As an aside, from what I can gather from old advertisements and other literature, the term navy flake, and navy cut simply meant that they were well adapted to being smoked outside in windy conditions. The cut also allowed the tobacco to stay in the pipe, while being smoked on the ever pitching, rolling, yawing deck of a ship. Imagine how a cube cut, although cool burning, would dump everywhere...

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

This is my favorite PS blend so far. I found it exceptionally smooth with a mellow toastiness and just the right amount of perique. It is sweet and flavorful throughout with no bite. I prefer it to its higher rated brethren, Luxury Twist Flake. This is good stuff matey!

I rate this tobacco 9.1 out of 10.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is comparable to P.S. Luxury Twist. I find it about one third stronger than Orlicks' Golden. There is some flavoring present maybe a slight anise taste. I used the fold & stuff method in a fairly large free hand pipe. Fired right up with little difficulty. One tamp, relight and one long bite-free smoke. No perique detected, but may be too subtle for my limited palate. I would give this three and a half out of four stars. A very nice, rich, dark flake. Burned clean with no gurgle. I thought Navy Flakes always included rum. I don't taste any rum but it may be present in the aroma as it smells better than most non-aromatics. A very nice user friendly flake. No bad attributes at all.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

This Stokkebye's approach to using a mild Virginia as a vehicle for delivering Perique flavor, similar to McClelland's #2015 without the bite or the fuller Virginia flavor. It is expertly done. I buy it in bulk and it comes in little square flakes about the size you would find in a 50g tin, dark brown in color. It is in good condition for immediate smoking, rubs , packs and lights easily. Right from the start you get a very, very mild Virginia flavor with the distinctive tang of Perique. The tobacco can nip a bit at the start, but evens out almost immediately. This flavor maintains itself through the first third of the bowl. Then the Perique strengthens and continues to strengthen all the way to the end of the smoke. For the bottom third of the bowl, each sip of smoke carries the delightful, intense flavor of Perique, and I do not want the smoke to ever end. I could enjoy the flavor forever. I usually smoke this in a Dunhill size No. 4 Blakemar Deluxe apple, and the bowl will last for over a half hour. A beautiful smoke. I sometimes smoke it in larger pipes, but I do not seem to get the extreme concentration of Perique toward the end that I get with the smaller bowl. This is the Perique lover's dream. The Virginia provides some sweetness, but not a lot of Virginia flavor. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Another nicely prepared flake from Stokkebye that is available in bulk @ reasonable prices. I found it quite similar to another PS blend, Luxury Twist Flake, that is one of my favorites. Packing and lighting are easy, the slow burnrate ideal and the smoke is dry. Due to the Perique added to this blend, the room aroma is less appealing to my family. In addition, I find the LTF to be sweeter in taste and aftertaste. If you prefer slightly more but still a subtle tang, this is the blend. Uncomplicated and not complex, but still a good smoke.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)

(I love Luxury Navy Flake) It has a superb kind of natural sweetness that's spot on & it smoke's very clean,right to the bottom of the bowl.The Perique is there,in a subdued way in the back ground & doe's not over power in any way.If I had to smoke only this,for rest of my day's "I wouldn't be upset" It lights up easily without fuss,rubbed out or just folded.It's a great all day or anytime smoke.It has never caused tongue bite to me.It's a beautiful clean smoke without any goop!This is a truly Superb Flake. In it's class-I'll give it 4 Out of 4 Star's.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)

I enjoy this one much more than its cousin twist flake. Maybe its just the addition of the perique, but I do not detect the overwhelmingly sweet caramel like taste that plagued me in twist flake. I have been smoking this one for quite some time, and when considering price and availability, I would rank this one as one of my favorite va/p flakes. This would also, IMHO, stand as a good introduction into the tobaccos of this genre. I enjoy this in the early to late afternoon before ending the day with the richness of a good english. This flake burns clean and dry with very few relights. Highly recommended.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Strong

This is about the only VA Flake that I truly enjoy smoking. I seem to get a huge case of tounge bite with almost all Va flakes, but this one treats me right, expecially once it has a couple of months worth of age on it. Love those sugar crystals!

Ohiopipesmoker03 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ohiopipesmoker03 (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

One of my favorite blends. Great mid day smoke while watching a good show or out fishing. The room note according to my wife is tolerable.

HeavyMetalPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyMetalPiper (25)

The tin note is a very raisiny smell.

The taste is similar to Comoy's Cask No. 7, though without the cavendish sweetness. There is a little bit of spice, which is nice. The taste remains interesting throughout the smoke. It's a nice sweet and spicy tag team. There is a raisin/fig taste on the retrohale.

You can view my video review of this blend here:

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Bent Diplomat Apple

Age When Smoked: 10 Weeks

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Comoy's of London - Cask #7 Single Coin Sliced (Comoy's).

WRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WRW (4)

I've been smoking this for years and it has never let me down. Sweet and spicy, but not to much. Never bites me. Not complex, but not too bland. An all day smoke that won't break the bank. I buy the boxes and store in jars. I love this blend. If I was on an island and could only have one tobacco, this would be my pick.

Pipe Used: Many

Purchased From: Available many places

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)

This has become one of my regulars. When I first saw and touched the flakes I was afraid that the moisture content was too high and that they would produce a steamy smoke but I was wrong, moisture level is just right. This blend rubbs out and lacks easily and once loaded and lit you hardly have to do a single relite throughout the entire bowl. The flavor is pure sweet Virginia with just a hint of spicey Perique. I would not put the flavor on quite the level of McClelland's St James Woods but would say as far as burning characteristics it is a notch above. Room note is acceptable and dissapates quickly, not lingering. Aftertaste is minimal.

Pipe Used: Various Italian Briars

Emegaz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emegaz (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just a tad dry but ready to smoke with a finger rub (keep it in a bail) used the tad that fell and crumble on top:

Lights with ease starts very mild the spice starts slow and soft but picks up nicely maybe a little soft for some but a perfect all day smoke for others with it being not a very complex flavor I happen to find it to be a pleasing one

Pipe Used: Tear Drop Meer

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Tiedemann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiedemann (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an old school navy flake. Bag note is on the lighter and brighter side of the Virginia spectrum, sweet hay and grass and something lemony. Underneath some fermentation along with dark fruits, and just a hint of spiciness.

Taste is similar. This is all about the Virginias, the perique is in a supporting role here, but becomes somewhat more noticeable mid-bowl. Not the most complex Virginia-based flake, but far from one-dimensional. I smoked nothing but this for a couple of weeks, and did not get tired of it. Rather the opposite, it seems to get more interesting as you get to know it. The faint rum topping is nothing to worry about.

This is less sweet than Stokkebye's very nice Bullseye flake, and lighter overall. A very good choice as an all-day tobacco for the Virginia lover.

Almost a four-star blend, but not quite. I would not be surprised if this gets even better after a year of storing.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Purchased From: Cup O'Joes

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Navy Flake is a great everyday VaPer. Although the perique is very light in this blend it really melds very nicely with the sweet Virginians. I taste buttered raisin toast with just a light peppery finish. It really fresh, sweet and mellow. As I work down the bowl I get a tiny bit of lemony tang too. I personally do not taste or smell any rum topping at all. I do not think its topped or cased.

The tin note to me is earthy and grassy. I can’t even smell the perique but, you can tastes it in the smoke for sure. The flakes are wide and run out nicely. The moisture is perfect and it lights up easily and only needed one relight. No bite and smokes cool. With some age it will become even better.

Pipe Used: Peterson 69

Adam T Valleau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam T Valleau (12)

I’ve been smoking Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Bullseye Flake pretty much side-by-side with this Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake. The Navy flake is very similar to the Bullseye flake, as they are both Va/Pers. The main differences are that the Bullseye flakes have black cavendish, and they are cut into coins. The Navy flakes, as with the Bullseye flakes, have excellent burn characteristics, a great deal of flavor and balance between the Virginias and the Perique, and provide long smokes in the right pipe. The Navy flakes smoked well for me in a variety of pipes, but were best in my Rattray’s “Judge” poker and my “tulip” meerschaum carved by H. Ege. These pipes both have deep and relatively narrow chambers, which work very well with flake tobaccos. I use the “fold & stuff” method to load my pipe with this blend, but it smokes and tastes great prepared in other ways, too. Try stuffing, rubbing out the flakes, or even chopping them up, and see which way works best for you. This is a very good blend at a very good price. I guess all that is left for me to do is try Stokkebye’s Luxury Twist next! Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Rattray's "Judge", "Tulip" meerschaum

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars, Bethlehem, PA

Similar Blends: P.S. Luxury Bullseye Flake, Escudo (sorta).

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (9)

I bought a pound of this having never smoked it before, and based solely on reviews, recommendations, and curiosity. I smoked several bowls out of several pipes as soon as I received it. It was pleasant, but nothing remarkable. Just an enjoyable, easy to work with flake. I jarred it in a few mason jars, and as I made my way through different blends, and as time passed, it became burried and forgotten in my cellar.

Fast forward 3.5 years, and McClelland's shuttering the doors caused me to revisit the darkest nooks and crannies of my cellar. Finding a paltry selection of the now-defunct maker, I was pleasantly surprised to find my jars of Luxury Navy Flake.

Optimistic about the effects of time, I pulled out a smallish Stanwell poker. I unscrewed the lid and as soon as I broke the seal, the lid jumped off the tin from the pressure. I was a little apprehensive. I smelled and gave a scrutinous look about the jars for any ill effects from time... besides an initially pungent aroma that quickly faded, all seemed well. Once aired out, the jar aroma we sweet, stewed fruit, perhaps some spice... cinnamon and nutmeg?

I took out a bit, rubbed to choppy broken ribbons and flakes, and loaded up. the charring light was a little bitey, but that is perhaps due to the fact that tobacco was a tad moist for my preference and should have been left to dry for my tastes.

First puffs were delicious. Sweet. But a deep sweet, not sugary and cloying. The same baking spices presented themselves as before. Flavor was consistent throughout the bowl. Slow burning. Relights required, but nothing out of the ordinary or worth complaining about. Got a little finicky to keep lit near the bottom of the bowl, but tinkering with tamper pressure seemed to get things back on track.

Room note was pleasant to my nose, but that is always a hit and miss thing with non-smokers.

All in all, a delightful smoke on the sweeter side of things. Well worth buying some bulk for the cellar, and not bad at all when fresh. Age does do wonders for this. Less grassy and more full-flavored with some time. I'd say highly recommended for what it is... a simple, good tobacco that benefits well with some maturity.

Age When Smoked: New, and 3.5 years

Mofrackey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mofrackey (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco was my first non aromatic when I had just started smoking a pipe. I've had it in my stash for 6-7 years at one time or another. I am not a huge fan of va/per but on occasion I do enjoy it. Mostly smoke English blends with naturally sweet notes. But I had about a half pound of this jarred for 3 years maybe more and opened it the other day to find that this tobacco ages very well. I would almost not smoke it fresh! It's a complete difference. Now I just hate that's all I have for the next few years while I age some more!

Pipe Used: Doodler Jr. And cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 3yrs aged

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Peter stokkebye LTF, orlik golden slice.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake

Don't know why it took me so long to try this one but all the good reviews here finally pushed me to it.  It's a square-ish flake that's reasonably easy to fold and stuff.  Rather citrusy virginia with a bit of depth (I don't think the citrus is a topping as with Orlik Golden Sliced although it could partly be).  There is a honey-like topping, same one as Luxury Bullseye Flake but dialed back a notch.  Perique is also more spicy here than in LBF.  Nicotine hit is about medium or just slightly less.  If you like LBF or OGS you'll probably like this one too, and it makes a great alternative to either of those. I notice these seem to smoke a little damp and make the pipe stink a bit when they're done. Personally I prefer the LBF.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a great all day Vaper. The Stokkebye virginias are noted for being youthful so aging helps this blend. There is only a pinch of Perique in this, and in fact I ofen wonder if thats only half a pinch. But its there...and you do taste it. Just not very much. So this is barely a VaPer. Its more like a straight mild pressed Virginia flake. But a good one. Not rich and complex like McClelland's Blackwoods or Gawith's FVF, and not even like Butera's underrated Golden Cake. This is a just a straight Virginia...and if there is a casing, its VERY MILD. I think there is though I wouldnt hazard a guess as to what it is. Brandy or Rum probably. But its extraordinarily light. The price is a bargain. This is not inferior stuff at all. I smoke this a lot in the morning when Im driving. Requires few relights and little attention. Mild, straight ahead and naturally sweet. Lots of grass notes as is the case with young Virginia. It bears some comparsion to McClelland's bulk 2015....a great VaPer with a similar profile...though with two notches more Perique.

Three and a half stars.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Sutliff Virginia Slices, macbaren virginia flake..

Naeewena Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Naeewena (5)

The flakes of LNF they have a perfect cut , a golden colour when is fresh and they be darker after some months of aged , is a tobacco can be changed very fast . Is grassy with some citrus notes and a little peppery in taste can be smoking very easy in hot days and in cold , is one small step less in nicotine that make him perfect for the mornings . When is aged alittle they start to be more sweet and creamy with raisin and cocoa notes and more peppery in taste . If smoking fast do not have tongue bites but if smoking slow gives more taste . Is an all day tobacco , is ready to smoke from the begining but i like to dry it a little. I dont know if i like him more fresh or aged , is one of my best .

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (24)

Tin note was pleasant, but nothing too exciting for me. Typical flake cut into easily manageable rectangles. Rubs out easily, but I prefer to fold and stuff this flake. I don't have much to say about this, as there was nothing too exceptional about it. A solid VAper for sure, with quality components, good flavor, and a satisfying smoke. I'd put this in my top 20 flake tobaccos, but somewhere in the middle/back of that group. Strength and nicotine content are middle of the road, so I'll reach for this when I want something milder than Escudo, but not too light. I've had this brand new, as well as aged about 5 yrs. Aging does wonders for this blend. Really smooths it out and brings out some nice flavors. Definitely worth putting some away in the cellar.

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum, cob

Age When Smoked: New, 5 yrs

Purchased From: Emerson's

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is one of those VAs that you need to smoke VERY slowly to avoid it tasting like hot ash and turning your pipe into a handheld radiator. It's VAs like this that make me appreciate those Samuel Gawith flakes that some people like to complain about. In my experience, SG make the slowest-burning, coolest-smoking Virginia flakes out there.

LNF is not a bad tobacco if smoked with the kid-glove care that it seems to like demanding from you. It is also a very cheap tobacco, relatively speaking, so any criticism has to be balanced against that. I can 'somewhat recommend' this to someone who wants a simple VA (the Perique is very minimal here) for a bargain price. But then again, given that the same producer also makes the highly enjoyable Luxury Bullseye Flake for a very good price...

GFGraham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GFGraham (3)

This blend has catapulted to the top of my rotation. It's mild, inoffensive to those around you and, for those on a budget, it is incredibly inexpensive.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

StephenB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StephenB (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This review will be more relevant to those newer to pipe, new to tobacco smoking. This stayed lit wonderfully. It was pleasant enough to smoke but mainly had a pure tobacco flavor. I think someone who has smoked cigarettes may take natively to it. Obviously experienced pipe smokers do. It did leave a 2-3 day strong aftertaste in my mouth that only faded with time despite eating, brushing, mouthwash etc. The odor on my jacket was very discernible for a day or two. The odor on my hands eventually washed off, but had what Emeril would call "Bam!" So…its nice while smoking but if you live with other non-smokers you may want to consider this.

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Age When Smoked: fresh out of package

Purchased From: www.theleafcigar.com

J.Paul.Allan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Paul.Allan (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just had my first bowl tonight, in a brand new Freehand Churchwarden Pipe. Its a bit Peppery on the tongue... It is not too harsh... All in all a great smoke

Pipe Used: Custom Freehand Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 49

Purchased From: Given to me by a friend

Similar Blends: Unlike anything I've tasted to date.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

Bought this blend in bulk after I tried a sample. Pouch smells like grass or hay-ish smells. Flakes were soft and put outgood puffs of smoke . A few relights in the beginning then I had no trouble keping it lit. It can give tongue bite so I sipped on it . Smoke smells like grass and hay a naturally sweet smoke. I didn't pick up on perique I think there was little in my batch. Over all its a good flake for my dollars spent.

Pipe Used: churchwarden . chubby pear pipe

Purchased From: tinder box sample. smokingpipes.com for bulk

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I purchased a two ounce bag of this while visiting LA in February from the Tobacco Trader (just after visiting Kramer's). The lady behind the counter insisted on opening a brand new pound block of this stuff, just for me (and my measly two ounces). I remember feeling guilty about that at the time, violating such a pure block of leaf like that, but on reflection, and after smoking it, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is nothing special as flakes go.

The problem, for me, is there are so many other flakes out there right now that are superior, in every way, taste, smokability, sidestream, etc., you name it—that this one can be easily bypassed for other blends.

I've tried several flakes this last smoking season, and this one did nothing for me. Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is much more interesting to me than this one (among many other flakes, read my other reviews; my updated review on Luxury Twist Flake for one).

After all the trouble, I actually passed the remainder of this on to someone else. Only two stars from me.

Pipe Used: Eric Nording Freehand

Purchased From: The Tobacco Trader, LA

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a much better deal than Dunhill's flake and OGS. And in my opinion, it tastes better. It packs nice and burns nice all the way down. Some say there is some perique in it, but not enough for me to notice.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have never had much luck rolling and stuffing flakes, so I always rub out any flakes.

This tobacco has some sort of a topping on it--it's relatively mild (definitely not to the level of an aromatic), fruity or honey-like. I do not expect that from a VaPer.

The topping goes away for me after the first third of a bowl. After that there's not much to this blend. Most times I think the blender must have passed a leaf of perique over these flakes and counted whatever dusted off as an ingredient. I just don't sense any perique.

After the topping burns off, the virginias are fairly pleasant and hay-like, but there just isn't much flavor to be had. Unless I saw the smoke I would assume my pipe needed a light.

The price of this blend is, as others have said, low. The presentation is excellent--it looks and smells very tasty in the box. This does not translate into the smoke, though.

Somewhat recommended. I'm sure someone looking for a very mild blend so they can say they've smoked a VaPer will be pleased with this.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: smoked upon arrival and after 2 yrs aging

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An average plain tobacco. Didn?t thrill me. Dries the mouth and nose rapidly.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I wasn't too hung up on this one; it was easy to keep lit, but the flavor just didn't seem to really shine in my sample. I think if I want a virginia flake, I'll stick to the McClellands or something like that. It's certainly not bad, but it did bite quite badly, and, well, I just didn't taste anything to get too excited over.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Navy Flake is no premiere grand cru of a good vintage: it is that other pleasure, a vin de table of very good quality, which can be drunk with pleasure at any time.

My purchase arrived with the flakes broken in the post, ready for filling. It has a slightly sweet biscuit-like flavour which is pleasing without cloying. Reminiscent of Mac Baren`s Virginia Flake, in appearance, texture and taste, which too I enjoy.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

I just wasn't terribly happy with this blend. It has decent flavor, but is quite bitey and lacks the smoothness I prefer in my blends. There are other navy flakes out there, and I'd probably point you in their direction.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Another one for the Danish set. The flakes are very similar in appearance to offerings by Orlick and ACPetersen, but that's where the similarities end. Tingly upon lightup, especially when blown through the nose, promising. Sadly, the flavor is MIA as are any other points of interest. Frankly, I fail to see why this warrants the attention it has received. If I am given a sample to smoke I'll do so, but I cannot see purchasing this flake at any time. Perfect for the Macbaren lover...

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is the lightest VA/P I have ever tried. Even Stratford seems like a heavyweight next to this. The tobacco used here is of good quality, the problem is that it has very little taste. The smoke seemed insubstantial, and I wasn't sure if I was getting steam or something else. The flakes are visually stunning and have quite a bit of birds eye. Alas, this is the only good thing about it. Maybe age will help.