PipesAndCigars

Very mature Old Belt flue-cured Virginia's spiced with Louisiana Perique.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Taste

3.1
KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (29)

This is one of my top 10. It has far less Perique than PS LBF. I'm not a big fan of too much spice, and go through stages where I prefer a bit of Perique with my VA. I primarily smoke VA's, VA/Per, English, to give an idea of my preference of taste.

I found this tobacco to be the absolute best in a marriage between VA and Per. Like a perfect formula, the VA's dominate with a sweet grassy flavor and aroma, while allowing the perique to offer only a mild input that takes the Va's attributes to a slightly new and different level. Though the blend is not complicated by any means, the sophisticated palate will find that the delicate and sweet VA overtones are changed ever so slightly in a way that creates a touch of complexity, wherein the product of VA and Perique combine to form a melody somewhat unique among Va/per flakes. Mild with very little bite, the flake produces a delicate fig aspect with a raisin vanilla finish. PS Va's are underrated IMO. Some have called them bland, yet I would suggest they are subtle, and the patient smoker will find their flavors and aromas to be equally amusing, yet different in a pleasant way, to other VA flakes.

Pipe Used: Askwith Prince

Age When Smoked: 4 yrs

Similar Blends: I find this unique among VA/Perique tobaccos due mainly to the subtle flavors of PS Va's. But to name a few with subtle to medium differences: McClelland 2015, Reiner LGF, and Sam Gawith St James flake..

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

An excellent go-to VaPer, at an excellent price. Presentation is classic rectangular flake. Virginias are smooth and the Perique content is just right. As with any Virginia, gets better with age, but this one is smokable right out of the bag. Moisture level just right for those who rub out their flakes.

I prefer the sweet notes of Luxury Bullseye Flake, but keep both on hand. When I'm in the mood for a straight, uncased VaPer, it doesn't get much better than LNF. Excepting Escudo, this is probably my favorite straight VaPer flake.

Had I discovered PS's bulk VaPers earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of money on tinned tobacco. VaPer smokers: Buy a pound or two and jar it. You won't regret it.

Edit: while already an excellent tobacco, this improves dramatically with a little age. Truly a classic and value cannot be beat.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury curly cut, Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Bull eyes flake, and Luxury Navy Flake.

After smoking 1 pound of each, here below I write a small review for all:

Luxury curly cut: I wasn?t terribly happy with this blend, there is some topping with unpleasant flavor and it is hot on the palate, the good news is that it has been discontinued. 2stars

Luxury Twist Flake: very pleasant hay/ burnt caramel flavor, great first WOW effect, high impression when you start smoking few oz of it, unfortunately there is a diminishing return effect, after smoking 7 to 8oz of it, the caramel topping starts to be boring, the flavor is great in the beginning, but this is not a natural VA flavor. Try Astley's No.109 Virginia Flake for the same flavor but with true and natural VA and without casing. 3stars.

Luxury Bulleyes flake: This one is really good, natural flavor with minimum perique and delicious Cavendish, Great Virginia!!! However, despite the very low price, it is not as good as Davidoff Flake Medallions or Escudo Navy Deluxe. This is a very good choice for money saving pipers, with Hi quality VAPER spun cakes, but if we talk strictly about enjoying a VA/Per pipe, this blend is not the best of its category. and since I do not care how much the tobacco costs, not because I am rich, but because life is too short, also because I smoke 1-2 bowl only per day and I believe that the best way to save your money is to sell all your pipes on Ebay and stop smoking for good, therefor I Definitely prefer Flake Medallions over LBF. 3star

Luxury Navy Flake: This is my favorite one so far, it will not impress you with WOW flavor when you start smoking it, but it will start revealing its hidden secrets after maybe 10-15 bowls, it just needs your patience and commitment (do not smoke anything else while smoking it) this is truly a great smoke, with unmatched quality for a Navy Va flake, extremely well balanced, natural flavor with slight sweetness that comes from the very light rum casing, creamy and fresh, very pleasant all day smoke. Definitely one of the best in the "navy" category. I am very happy with this one, this is my preferred one, 4 stars.

I thought it burned a little hot when I smoked it, and a little bitey. The perique is light, and while it does add to the flavor some, I found the entire smoking experience to be extremely ordinary. Maybe this one will benefit from aging, but I'd rather smoke Escudo.

UPDATE: 1-23-2013 After aging it a little, the bite disappeared and the perique seemed a little stronger, spicier. The Virginia seems to have mellowed a little and I taste the grassy, wood-like flavor better. I'm enjoying it much more now. I still prefer Escudo and DDNR, but I have to amend my original opinion and bump this up from 2 stars to three. It does benefit from aging and is worth the money. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Impressions based on a 4-bowl sample I received from a friend. Certainly this is not enough to really get to know a tobacco but it's enough to make some personal observations, which is all any tobacco review is anyway!

Beautiful flakes! This is a nice, light Vaper that, like all the Stokkebye blends I've smoked, does not seem to aspire to greatness, but is very good indeed! I wished for more strength, but that's not the point of this blend. As someone who's Vaper education began with Cope's Escudo and original Three Nuns, this is positively lightweight. And I think that's its charm. There was still good VA flavor that developed nicely down the bowl and a bit more than just a hint of perique. Too much perique can spoil a good VA and this stops well short of "too much". This is honestly a tobacco that I'd like to experiment with further. I thought it was quite good. This would make an excellent starter VaPer for VA fans that are curious about perique. Even so, as they progress, they just might find themselves coming back to this one. Nothing not to like here.

This is a really nice, inexpensive flake. I have to admit that I was tentative considering the fact that I wasn’t thrilled with Luxury Twist and I thought Bullseye Flake average compared to Escudo and other VaPer “coins.” But this is a nice mild light flake that is light on the Perique and ages well. I do think there is a hint of topping on LNF. This is not a complex tobacco, but it doesn’t have to be when it’s good for what it is and this is good for what it is. If I had to pick two words that come to mind, it would be clean and sweet. There are other adjectives, but that sums it up for me.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love virginia tobaccos. I love perique tobacco. I love a combo of virginia and perique. And that's why I'm in love with Luxury Navy Flake! I tried LBF first and I will always have some at hand . But Luxury Navy Flake is the VaPer for me. First of all, I love the sweet taste of the virginia which is the dominant factor here. The spicy perique in the background is perfect. This blend is perfect as an all day smoke for me. No tongue bite what so ever, it stays lit without effort, burns down nicely right to the bottom of the bowl. The nicotine is there but not in a way that it will make your head spin.

If you are looking for a soft, sweet and spicy tobacco which you can smoke all day long, look no further. LNF is the baccy for you!!!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Punto Oro Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Unique.

If you think you want to try a VaPer flake, start with this one and you may never look for anything else. I like this one a lot, and I have smoked it cubed, rubbed out and folded and stuffed. It is sweet and spicy. It has a good VaPer flavor that tastes a little harsh is puffed too fast. Keep it at a slow smoulder, and you are in for a treat. It is a quality, inexpensive VAPer flake

I have had this aged, and found it more mellow and a slightly different smoke. Age improves it, but not a lot. The flakes darken in the jar, and the flavor is a little sweeter and the perique is more subtle.

I know folks who smoke this every day. I am not one of them, but I could.

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Wow! I'm a vaper fan for sure. This stuff is top notch world class. Just a quicky review to add my 4star. Enough has been said already. Go out and buy this!

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Wow........What a great tobacco, beautiful flake that are great laying down so nice and neat in the bag. In fact my 16 yr old son picked up the bag and asked about the cut, he thought it was neat they were all laid down like a piece of nicely grained wood. The Virginia's come through nice and full. The Perique is their in the back end but not to far back that their missed this is a very fine flake. It has a nice nicotine kick, but not strong like 1792 (which I love )the flavor continues to get richer down the bowl. If you like Escudo or St. Bruno's you'll love this, it has no flat spots at all, and on top of the great smoke and quality of the tobacco the price puts it in the rotation over Escudo!!! First flake I smoked from Stokkebye (who always make's fine tobacco's) I smoked a lot of PS blends but for some reason had not tried their flakes. I'm glad I tried this one, I love flakes and this one is off the chain!!! It burns great, with a nice ash fantastic.....:)

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very nice presentation of a navy flake. Blonde highlights of virginia, sweet fruit-apricot like aroma. My flakes didn't really need much drying out time, and it's easy to stuff it in the pipe any way you want. Clean taste, smoke slowly to get all the flavours, otherwise it can tend to get harsh or slightly bitter. Leaves a nice aftertaste of fruity apricot kind of in the mouth. I only smoke half a flake at a time as I am not a lover of nicotine.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes online

StanleyEsoterica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StanleyEsoterica (3)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, PS LNF is very regularly cutted. When it is new, I tried several pieces, It smells cleaning flavour like the smell of grass after raining(maybe not exactly correct). And when smoke it, you will only find it's a lack of ripeness. So as people always do, I stored it for one and a half years. Then I try it again. Things changed, the PS LNF turn into dark brown flake, and when smoke it, you will find it much sweeter than that years ago, It really matures very nice by time. But it still has a bitter taste that because the raw material is still the low level and you can never change the truth. Anyway, when you see the price, I believe there is nothing to complain. How cheap this stuff is!!! Now I orederd 15 pounds and throw them into my cellar to see what will happen year by year. By the way, I want to introduce a way to make the LNF tastes even better, you could take some FVF and combine the LNF one piece after one piece, like sandwich, that will make the FVF dry quickly and the LNF will also get some sweet taste of FVF, the finished flakes are very interesting, both of the two, seriously, you may try it.

Pipe Used: Johs, stanwell corncob

Age When Smoked: one year and a half

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (129)

A balanced Va/Per. It starts with the Virginias up front, tangy and grassy, then as the smoke develops, the Perique gives the expected prune, raisin and spicy accents. After awhile, the Virginia takes over but the Perique remains in the background. An all day flake with quality tobacco to enjoy slowly.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I must say: I LOVE this tobacco.

Reading the many favourable reviews here I decided to dig my 4 oz sample out of the cupboard and give it another go. With the result that Luxury Navy Flake has been smouldering regularly in my pipes ever since.

Too early to tell, but this might be my ideal VaPer flake. The measure of perique is perfect: just enough to impart extra flavour and body to the Virginia. But not enough to develop that mustiness one gets with heavier perique mixtures.

In small amounts perique has an exotic, almost perfumed quality to me. Very attractive to the nose and palate, but very mysterious too. Impossible to describe. Hopefully another thousand or so bowls will shed some clues.

LNF strikes me as similar to Orlik Golden Sliced, but I prefer the former. OGS can be a bit too rich and satisfying at times whereas the Luxury Navy Flake is a true all-day smoke for me. Two cobs and six slices of LNF would set me up fine for any outing. Simplicity itself. Or perhaps eight slices, should I encounter another piper along the way.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pride

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red), Former - Cross Grain Flake.

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)

Excellent. Beautiful flakes that are just about perfect moisture level. I have to compare this to Escudo, which is my favorite. It is a bit lighter and more "grassy" than Escudo, and I think there may be a tad more Perique. It smokes dry and cool (for a VA), with a nice little spice kick rolling under the smooth VA.

This is not Escudo, but it is waaay cheaper and very smokable,

This smokes great young, and I look forward to aging a stack of it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billiard

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This bulk blend is absolutely nothing like what I expected when I ordered it! But while it was different than what I expected, it was much better than what I expected too!! This was one of the more pleasant tobacco surprises in recent memory. I am a bit ashamed of myself for falling into the trap of automatically equating lower price with a lesser quality product. You just don’t anticipate getting such a good tobacco for what I would classify as a bargain price!

When I think “Navy Flake” I’m thinking, basically, Virginias and rum. Well, that was my first misconception--there’s no rum in this flake and I really don’t know how “aged” the Virginias are. (How much “aging” is required to designate a tobacco as “aged”?) The Virginias are, to my tastes, much like new mown hay, but not as bright and green as grass (if that makes sense). And as for the Perique in the blend, there’s NOT much—I would be very hard-pressed to classify this blend as a true VAPER. (In fairness I have to say that I prefer my VAPERs to be a little heavier on the Perique element.) In this blend the Perique acts as only a light spice element. This tobacco will most certainly hold at least some appeal for almost any Virginia flake smoker.

I can't swear to it, but I believe that there is a slight casing or topping that has been applied to this flake, perhaps some form of sugar solution. It’s very subtle and seems to enhance the tobacco flavor.

This tobacco did not display much of a tendency to bite. And it smoked smoothly from beginning to end.

The quality-to-price ratio (QPR) on this tobacco is well elevated—you get a lot for the money. I’ve purchased a number of blends where I’ve paid at least twice as much, but I haven’t enjoyed them even half as much as this one. When you compare this blend at about $5 for two ounces against the premium blends at $10 for two ounces you really have to ask whether you are getting twice as much for your money with the premiums.

I can very easily award 3-stars and it probably deserves more just because of the value it represents.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph

Similar Blends: Comoy Cask No. 4.

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, sweet-smoking, non-biting, dry-smoking, inexpensive, bulk Virginia flake. It seems to have no preference for being folded and stuffed or rubbed out to satisfy the bowl and prevailing weather. The text says LNF has some perique but, if so, it was lost on this piper. Still, it's a pleasant smoke that, once started, requires little maintenance work from the smoker. It's very mild at the start, seems to be at it's best in the middle third and, especially when folded and stuffed, can get bitter enough to call it quits nearing the end of the bowl. But it leaves an absolutely dry bowl at the finish, for me, anyway. Smoke it slowly; don't puff looking for taste that isn't there. Slow-smoking will deliver all it offers. I sometimes lace it with a wee pinch of Stokk Long Cut Virginia. At current prices, it doesn't cost much more than codger blends, not that there's anything wrong with those. I spent many enjoyable hours this Fall out on my deck smoking LNG in a Sav 910 or MM Diplomat watching V's of geese head South. It's been so enjoyable I can see why they're trying to make smoking illegal.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Cobs

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

This is the best tobacco in the world cheap great and avalable get it smoke it enjoy

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not sure why I bother to be reviewer number 137 but just wanted to chime in to say that this is a very uncomplicated but welcome flake for me to have on hand. Being completely OCD I must have between 50 and 100 tobaccos around, plus 20 blending tobaccos for my own hobby and amusement. That said, when I just want to smoke but don't have anything screaming my name it's to this flake (and one or two light Englishes that are my mainstay) that I turn. I stick my paw into about 1 1/2 pounds that I have in a mason-like container, pull out a flake or two and I'm never disappointed. I said it's not complicated, but that's in the traditional sense. It IS complicated when you consider so unassuming a VaPer actually satisfying you like a big piece of cake, a thick steak or a bowl of pasta. I guess that's what it is -- understated and effective. Good stuff.

review_again Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
review_again (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Wow! This is a great tobacco. Nothing not to like. Just beautiful tobacco. Smooth ...... slightly tangy ..... has a hay, grass like taste and just a great tobacco taste. I'm not a big fan of an over-dose of perique but in this case ....very little and just enough to add body. No after taste ..... burns perfect to the bottom of the bowl. I find this is best in MM cob. One of my favorite smokes. I've heard the comments on the taste .... my view is ..... tastes like tobacco .... no toppings ..no casing .... just a great straight forward virginia tobacco. For me .... I was going to give it three stars but at the price .... I gave it another star for a total of four. This has become one of my favorite smokes. I want to try the luxury twist. I will purchase more and keep it around. I recommend this tobacco highly. Great stuff.

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have developed almost an exclusive taste for flakes and LNF is one of my favorites. The flavor is sweet and savory, there is sufficient nicotine to let you know you're really SMOKING TOBACCO and the Perique tickles my sinuses. The flakes are fun to work and this is a great all-around blend. I highly recommend this tobacco.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

A very pleasant easy smoking blend.Iam using the fold and stuff method as i do with all flakes.Great flavours coming through with just the right amount of Perique to give it a mild peppery taste.Will certainly be ordering some more.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A really fine Virginia & Périque offering. As this is geared to the milder end of the spectrum, very much in the Danish style, people who find Escudo or Three Nuns a bit too much might enjoy it.

Personally, I prefer more body, à la Three Nuns, and more Périque, certainly, but this is excellent, top-grade all the way, and truly inspiring, in a sunny Summer morning.

Puff..puff..puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff..puff..puff (5)

I love this stuff and have been smoking it for years. It's great fresh and improves with some age. Moisture is perfect and rubs out easily. If you like Dunhill Flake, think of that with the slightest hint of Perique. In my opinion, this tobacco is better than Dunhill Flake and a fraction of the price. I think Virginia or Vaper smokers would each enjoy this smoke

Pipe Used: All of my pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged for several years

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

The flake is attractive vaguely reminding one of tree bark, easy to light and did not require many relights. Burns slowly even with frequent puffing. Neither of the two tobaccos in the Virginia/Perique shone forth, I found myself over puffing in search of a rich VaPer flavor. Very gentle sips along the lines of gentle kisses revealed some mild flavor. Patience is required and too much patience defeats the purpose of a relaxing and tasty smoke which should come more easily. I can't comment on room note since I smoked this alone, outdoors in some wind on the lanai.

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (18)

Luxury Navy Flake is like Escudo-light. A nice, medium thick flake of Virginia and Perique, Luxury Navy Flake is pretty much a classic VaPer. Like Escudo, LNF has a primary Virginia flavor, with the perique adding a bit of spice, and a bit of flavor...almost a plum-tone. I find that LNF delivers the best smoke with the fullest flavor when rubbed out. This is a blend that I make sure to always keep on hand. If you like VaPer's, then this blend is for you. Although, if you like VaPers, theres a good chance you are already familiar with Luxury Navy Flake...

Edit: I forgot to add that I find this blend has more flavor if it is rubbed, opposed to smoked as a flake...

Similar Blends: Escudo.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really want to like this more. This tobacco plays tricks on me. The false light and first few minutes of the bowl make me anticipate a delecious smoke. Sadly it almost always fails to live up to that promise. I have tried fold and stuff, cube cutting and fully rubbed out. It really seems to not make a huge difference.

Initial light, as described above, is fantastic. Tobacco seems to stay light fairly well. Requiring only minimal relights. I would reccomend a little bit of drying time. The first third of the bowl is quite tasty. Mostly hay and grass notes with very little spice. The second third of the bowl starts to become very bland and almost cigarette like. The final third usually gets tossed. I have found if pushed hard to get more flavor this cigarette taste comes on quicker.

I have smoked a few ounces of this and will cellar what I have left. Hopefully time will help this one.

Pipe Used: Several different briars. All for va or vapers.

Purchased From: Piesandcigars.com

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Since I already posted a detailed review of the PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, I’ll limit this one to a side by side comparison.

The PS LNF is presented as a lovely largish wide tightly pressed flake. Where the LBF seems to primarily use brighter Virginias in its base, the LNF version mentions a healthy presence of mature flue-cured Virginias, which yield a flavor that’s somewhat nuttier, sweeter, and slightly caramelized. Where the sweetness in the LBF is reminiscent of light malta, here I found the sweetness more evocative of brown turbinado, with a distant hint of dark rum.

The LNF seems to have less perique than the LBF, and where the latter has a long milky, malty and peppery fleur de sel like finish that pulls delightfully at your salivary glands, the lighter presence of perique here gives a shorter and less peppery finish. Personally, I think a touch more perique could have helped balance the finish a bit better, but that’s just me.

Overall, I found the LNF to be sweeter and less creamy/peppery/elegant than the LBF. The LBF is more of a true VaPr experience, whereas the LNF seems much closer to a Mature VA, and the perique is only present as a light condiment. For me, the higher sugar content seemed to make the LNF burn a little hotter and more alkali, and seems slightly more prone to tongue bite as a result.

This is a 3 star smoke for me - a very nice mature VA flake. Recommended, but not quite a showstopper.

------------- Smoking Tips: I found that 1 flake of LNF is roughly equivalent to just under 2 coins of LBF. For me, cutting it crosswise in quarters, fully rubbing it out, then letting it dry for 15 mins before lightly packing seemed to work best.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (40)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is both by first VaPer and flake tobacco. Off to a good start I'd say. The Virginia is mildly sweet and spicy and the Perique adds just a little savory richness. I found that to appreciate it fully you MUST retro-hale and when I did it added a distinct brown sugar taste.

Update: This has now become my favorite VaPer and holds a solid spot in my rotation!

bubbagump Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bubbagump (1)

As far as VaPer's go, this is the most mellow that I've tried (comparing to Escudo, PS LBF, C&D Kickin' Chicken, C&D Five O' Clock Shadow, etc.). You get a hint of the Perique goodness, but it's not overpowering.

As the Perique content is on the low side, I didn't find the room note to be quite as toxic as some Va Per blends.

PS LNF tastes great. There's no flavoring/topping added. It's a good/basic smoke if you want a quality Va Per, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg (i.e. Escudo).

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

bigterr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigterr (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As can be seen from many previous reviews this is a fine VaPer especially when factoring in the price. I rubbed out the flake - it took only 1 1/2 flakes to fill each of the pipes listed below. The lite was easy and the burn consistent with a relight only required when I was interupted by a phone call. Like PSLBF this blend burned to a mottled dark grey ash and no gurgles or dottle present at the end of the bowl. I agree the perique is very lightly applied which, in the abscence of the cavendish found in PSLBF, suited my palate just fine. Must say though I find myself favouring PSLBF the intermittent touch of sweet from the cavendish does really make a difference. With regard to the blends I listed as similar they are listed so that if you like one of them I can say confidently you will like this even though the low volume of perique makes for a milder smoke than some. In sum if you do not try this you are doing yourself a disfavor because at its price its a gem. I got this as a 2oz gift and I'm a cellar freak (just checked and I only have about 500 grams out of over 15 lbs of various tins that are less than 3 years old) but I had to try this after only 6 mo because the gentleman who provided it kept inquiring if I liked it. Well I do and asked him to include me in for 1/2 pound in his next order. Three stars for price, burning charteristics but not quite as tasty as PSLBF.

Pipe Used: Jobey Asti canadian / Castello sea rock canadian

Age When Smoked: 6 mo

Purchased From: gift

Similar Blends: Germain's Royal Jersy, Solani 633, Irish Oak, Escudo, MacB's Navy flake, Dunbar.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

A nice "Hay" like aroma, I like this blend either rubbed out or just fold and stuff, it has a nice virginia sweetness to it, just remember not to push it too hard and take your time. not sure how much Perique is in this blend as I don't notice it too much

Pipe Used: Butz-Choiquin D'accord apple

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is a very nice Virginia/Perique blend. I barely detected the Perique. I also barely detected the Virginia. Too mild for my regular consumption, but I can see where this one could be enjoyed by those who like just hints of flavor in their smokes.

I think the reason some are finding this one to bite a little is due to a fast puffing cadence. I have that problem with tobaccos that are mild. I puff too hard and fast trying to get to the flavor that (in this blend) never shows up.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (34)

I found this to be a wonderful tobacco. I received it a a very generous gift and I was pleasantly surprised with it. It was mild and smooth, very easygoing. I prefer to use the fold and pack method for this baccy. The flavors transition more fluidly. I would put this as an all day smoke. It reminds me of summer vacations at a lake, definitely recommend.

Pipe Used: MM Emperor, Millard, Dr. Grabow lark

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

Here's a satisfying flake that just gets better the more you puff on it. Cigarette smokers that want to switch over to a pipe, here's your tobacco. These flakes are thin and easy to rub out. The flakes are golden to light with some dark streaks that I guess is the wonderful Perique. From the top of the bowl the tobacco tastes tangy and fresh. Moving down a bit the deep taste of the Perique starts to play in and out of the sweet Virginia which causes me to close my eyes and drift away on the clouds of smoke into a land of enchantment. Aroma wise it's more acrid like a cigarette. Smells like tobacco,nothing fancy. The taste is very satisfying and the nicotene is really engaged. I will also add that the price is spot on!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Economical and of high-quality, LNF is a solid player in the Virginia/Perique category of flake tobaccos.

This is beautifully prepared flake, with warm to medium colors, and lovely rectanglur-shaped slices perfectly cut. The unburnt aroma is inviting, promising a flavorful, but mild profile.

It comes packaged from the manufacturer in a plastic bag inside a white cardboard box. There are two rows of flakes laying on their side, much like a loaf of bread.

The flakes fold or rub-out very easily, making loading any size pipe effortless. The packaged moisture level is just right, ready to smoke. One flake will load a medium-sized pipe (easily a forty-five minute smoke).

This lights with one charring light and then an additional light. Gentle tamping was all that was needed to keep LNF burning, and that cool, complete to a white ash.

The flavors fluctuate from mild highs to sometimes deeper rich notes. Mostly, this just hovers in the medium flavor range- very delicious and pure. Smoking aroma is quite good.

The perique performs with subtlety, providing an indefinite contribution that would be missed if removed. The perique-challenged might find LNF a solid platform to enjoy this style of blending.

I did not find ever the need to use a pipe cleaner for excess moisture. Slow, steady puffing rewarded itself with the avoidance of tongue-bite.

In early 2004, this can be had for $20 or so per pound over the web. A remarkable bargain serving as a tribute to a great tobacco man, the late Peter Stokkebye.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Pouch note is apricot. Dried apricots from the bulk bin at the hippy food mart to be exact. I can smell a bit of that leathery, oily, sweet, and heavy flue cured aroma, reminding me of tobacco drying barns.

Performing a "Z-Fold" of the flake, after letting it dry about 5 min (it was actually just about right straight from the bulk bag) I found it shoved perfectly into my MM Legend cob, like a bundle of firewood held vertical.

Initial light is grassy and sour, like green apple. There is a faint sweetness and hint of a fruit topping, or maybe it's just a very sweet tobacco. The heavier, thicker cured tobacco flavor comes in just enough to give this body and weight, like caramel. After the smoke has left my mouth, I get a very small amount of pepper... just a bit, but I know it's there.

Halfway though the bowl, and this thing is burning like a stoved furnace. I guess this flake burns well. I had to set it down. After the bowl calmed a little, I continued to get the same great flavor out of it... lots of sour apple-like notes with a pepper back. The pepper is much more aggressive on the second half of the bowl, but is in no way overpowering.

I was outdoors for this one, so no real commentary on the room note.

I did very much enjoy this flake. Seems like the tart apple notes took center stage, with sweet and spicy taking supporting roles.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown (Bulk)

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A great blend at a great price, like most Stokkebye bulks in my experience. I find this blend to be a lot like OGS to my tastes. It is good and like OGS, it has much more a Va presence and less of a perique presence. I would say the perique is more noticeable than in the other blend, but still very light.

I recommend this, but don't think it merits four stars as their are many vapers that I prefer. My preference is probably tainted by the fact that I enjoy more perique in my vapers. I really don't think you can lose by buying this one.

Purchased From: Jovan's in Cleveland Ohio

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

Elipuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elipuff (4)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just got an order of this stuff based on reviews that I saw on youtube and I would say that this is a pleasant tobacco. There is nothing fancy about it but it seems like this is something that you can just smoke anytime and all the time because of its mildness. It is one of those tobaccos that you don't mind buying in bulk since the price and quality is very good. I would say that it taste like a really good cigarette, I cannot really compare them to any cigarette brands in terms of taste because it seems to high of a quality. If there was a brand that tastes like this then it would probably be considered a luxury type of cigarette. This is perfect for somebody coming off smoking cigarettes, wants to cut down or just a good everyday smoke.

Rounder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rounder (3)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was looking for a good bulk pipe tobacco and started smoking this product about two months ago. I've made this one my everyday choice. For me it's got a great balance of flavor, no bite, and I do not get tired of it ever. That is not to say I don't enjoy other blends but at this point I think I've found a favorite.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I just picked up some PS Navy yesterday and have smoked a couple of bowl fulls now. I find it a rather pleasant, earthy smoke. It burned clean, all the way through but did give a bit of a nicotene kick, towards the end ofthe bowl. I did not get any of the "fruity" tastes some others have noted. All in all, I shall be adding this to my rotation for when I want a down to earth smoke and not something sweet. Revision to review. This stuff has grown on me and it did it rather subtely. I have found myself reaching for the LNF more and more often. Particularly, I find myself packing my pipe, the night before, to have for my "morning, drive to the office smoke." I get a sweet flavor from the LNF but not like that from an aro, which is an artificial, "added on sweetness." with LNF, the sweetness is coming from the tobacco itself and is more natural. I have now moved this stuff to the "favored tobaccos" section of my tobacco cabinet. I want to give it five stars but this website keeps making my rating give it only 4. Revision #2 While this is an excellent blend in any pipe, I have found it to be especially good in my MM Country Gentlemen pipes. Any cob, really, is good for LNF but the CGs just seem to match up to it, IMHO.

Purchased From: Winstons Humidor

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)

I've had some of this tobacco for several years and have left it largely alone because of the first experiences with it right after I bought it (this was back around 2002). Back then, I recall putting it away because it gave me a helluva good tongue-roasting but didn't have a spectacular enough flavor to make me want to endure this sort of roasting on a routine basis. So I gave much of it away (actually thought I'd given it all away until I found a 1/2 gallon jar filled with it a few weeks ago) and made a mental note not to bother with it again.

So.... I found this jar of this stuff I'd put away (still don't remember doing it) in a box in my garage and opened it up...well, it was dry and brittle, had almost no odor at all and I expected it would probably be much the same as it was when I tried it the first time. But I'm nothing if not curious, so I steamed it a little to revive it (whereupon it fell apart, of course), let it cool and dry back out a little, loaded up my favorite pipe (an old 4 dot) and away I went. I'd like to be able to give a glowing review of it, and to say that those years of maturing made a difference...I'd like to be able to rave about what a fantastic smoke it's turned into, but I really can't. It's the same reasonably nice flavor I remember, the same decent aroma, the same tongue roasting I got the first time around that makes the two former points not worth the latter.

Honestly, I think if I were to slow way, way down it might be a nicer smoke, but the VA's in it would still burn my tongue a little, and it's just not worth the trouble. It's great if this is your thing, but I expect a little more out of a tobacco, something that makes me want to brave the roasting I get from it. I'll be putting this away for now and trying it again later, mixed with some more perique, or some oriental, or maybe both. As it is, I just don't really enjoy it that much.

sallow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sallow (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a grassy, slightly sweet virginia flake with a nice perique note. It smokes slow and cool, but can be rewarding if you push it a bit. The taste is on the stronger, less sugary side of Old Gowrie. The flakes are thin like Orlik Golden Sliced. It has a decent nicotine level.

With a bit of age on this it is very good, and the price is right. As far as I know it only comes in bulk, and has a tendency to dry quickly so I jar it as soon as it arrives. For a straight va/per I would rank this towards the top.

Dr. Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Watson (3)

Picked up a small 2oz for relatively cheap from the local dedicated B&M, and I say, wow. This little bag contained plenty flake with little moisture, and immediately the grass, hay, and white pepper subdued a hint of rum lurking in this flake. While doing some work, I loaded my cob and burned a small bowl, amazed at the refreshing aroma and taste of this tobacco. Definitely a staple, for those with a Navy flake craving.

Gnatjulio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gnatjulio (1)

I get the citrus and I get the peppery tastes (especially when I retro-hale). It smokes consistant rubbed out and cube cut (which are my methods at the moment). If I go a couple of weeks without smoking this blend I find myself craving it. And it's a good deal since you can buy it by the pound. And I recommend that you do so.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Just not a huge fan. Very nice Va/Per that serves this purpose, just shouldnt have tried Orliks before. The hay like smell, the grassy taste, and no, no juicyfruit smell. I think thats it. As I enjoy this flake more I will revisit this review. Maybe Im missing....

Big Kev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Kev (8)

I think this is a tremendous value. This tobacco is everything I want in an all day VaPer and one of my favorite blends. It is slightly sweet with just enough spiciness to keep it interesting. I think this baccy is the better of the LNF LBF LTF selections. So glad this is very affordable and readily available.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (13)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

WOW. Nicotine. But no tongue bite for me. I noticed pepperiness in the first bowl, but not so much after. This wasn't as 'smoky' as other english blends I have tried, therefore I liked it. FYI, I use a filtered pipe.

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

I really don't like VaPers, but that's not the criteria I will judge this blend on. No doubt that VaPer lovers will enjoy the taste of this blend more that I do, but what I haven't been able to get past is the nagging bite. I've smoked this blend at all sorts of paces: in leisure, on the go, at work, in the mornings, in the evenings, in winter, in summer, and beyond. In all settings, the bite has always been there to some degree. It won't bite fiercely, but it's consistently there.

If you're a bit more seasoned than myself, then you may not have a problem with this flake, but for someone who has been smoking less that five years like myself, you're tounge is probably not up to the task.

If it wasn't for the consistent bite, I'd surely give it a 3 or 4.

Good1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Good1 (6)

After 32 years of dealing with pipe shops that sell candy and not really caring what I want, I ordered LNF off the net. This is my first VaPer and after smoking some burley blends the past few weeks where I was firing up a bowl and it being spent in a matter of minutes. I did the same to the LNF and it almost knocked me down after a few puffs. I quickly realized this wasn't one of those candy flavor soaked tobaccos that I have grown to hate. I dont care much for latakia and wasn't sure how I would like perique. The taste of the perique isn't overwhelming. LNF burns well all the way to the bottom of the bowl and doesn't have the harsh taste when you get to the bottom. It burns cool, no tongue bite, it was a little wet and do think letting it dry would help. It's not one that would smoke everyday(yet) but those times when you want to kick back and relax and enjoy a long bowl without the maintenance or reloading and relighting, this is a good one for that.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Good VA flake with a nice hint of Perique. There is a casing, but applied lightly. Nice and sweet smoke, no tongue bite. Slightly similar to Orlik Golden Slices, and cheaper too since you can get it in bulk.

Though the saying "you get what you pay for" is often true, I don't believe it applies to pipe tobacco. Here is a tasty flake at a bulk price. This SAME flake is often repackaged in tins and given a different brand name, people swear one is better than the other when they are the same.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good solid balanced VaPer. For me, the Perique is evident throughout without being overwhelming and is nicely balanced by the straightforward VAs. The flakes are easy to work with and keep burning well. Those who prefer their tobacco on the sweet side might not care for this, but most others should give it a try.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never had anything with perique in it before, so this was a great value experiment to expand my smoking horizons. I liked the occasional pepperiness of the perique. I live in the southwest so I like spicy flavors, and even though I'm not big on non aromatics, I found this to be an enjoyable smoke with a subtle variety of flavors throughout the bowl. Cooler smoke than some blends but there was still a nip on the tongue occasionally. I will continue trying perique blends thanks to this tobacco.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I really do love this tobacco. There are a couple of reasons. The value part I will get into in a bit, but the one thing I like about this flake is its honesty. No bells and whistles, no fancy tin, no silly name, just a navy flake that is damn good.

As with most Virginia blends coming out of the orlik factory, this blend is good fresh, but only becomes more luxurious with age. The great price allows you to buy a ton of this stuff and just tuck it in to bed for a nice undisturbed sleep.

The taste is nice and citrusy. The perique is evident but by no means overbearing. I think this tobacco could be given another name and put in a dolled up tin and sold for more than it fetches now. Instead the company keeps it as a no nonsense, inexpensive, darn good smoking blend. A must try and highly recommended.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (50)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells delicious, with hints of nuts, and figs. It smokes well enough, but has a bit of a bite, must be sipped. Over-all a decent Va/Per and in a beautiful flake.

jpbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpbass (22)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is alright. Like another reviewer, I preferred it over MacBarren which I thought was a bit too spicy. I appreciate this more when I add some to a blend (Prince Albert plus BCA, with a bit of this is an awesome home blend), but I no longer care for it as a stand alone smoke. Lately I've drifted back toward aromatics, and I'm not sure if VA flake on it's own merit is something I'm all that fond of.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

One of many Vapers I've tried and for the money you can't beat it. Burns well and tastes delicious. You can't go wrong with this one!

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Purchased this to compare to MacBarens and found this to be the better tobacco now don't get me wrong MacBaren makes excellent products but this one just took to me a little more will recomend to anyone who would like to try a well priced bulk flake tobacco

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

My Navy Flake of choice is MacBarens, but Stokkebeye's LNF is a close second. Good blend of quality Virginia, with just a touch of Perique, makes for a rich, flavorful smoke. Can't be beat for both price & quality. Just received a quarter pound today, after having just finished my last tin of MacB's NF.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (9)

I really like this blend. I usually smoke it in larger pipes as a good all-afternoon smoke. Too many Virginia-Perique blends leave me feeling queasy. This one doesn't, and it tastes great. It has a little sweetness from the Virginia, but it doesn't seem to bite. I highly recommend it.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Decided to get a sample of Navy Flake to see what the fuss was about. I am an aromatic lover so most "unflavored" tobaccos are just about the same in my book. After getting it stuffed into my pipe I found it lights and burns nicely. The taste is well, tobaccoy. Nothing special in my opinion, nice smoke. Did not notice any tongue bite but again was smoking a bit slower than normal. Probably a decent smoke if you are into this kinda thing. I suppose the best thing I can say about this is I won't throw it away, probably put it away and smoke it once every few months for a change of pace.

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)

On another trip to the "big city" I stopped again at my favorite B&M store, looking for some more samples to add to the great "VA Odyssey" collection. The young man behind the counter suggested, among other things, some PS's LNF. So I got a two-oz bag out of the bulk sack. So I had a couple of "brownies" of some nice flake that looked almost identical to Orlick's Golden Sliced. Each neat little stack looked like a small deck of cards with very distinct, easily separated flakes. The pouch aroma was sweet, and made me want to bite into one there and then.

Since that day a couple of months ago LNF has become my every morning smoke. Half a flake, rubbed out and stuffed into a corn cob at 0700 with a big mug of fresh ground dark coffee has become my pipe-smoking nirvana. And since this happy discovery, there is now a half-pound of LNF "brownies" sitting next to my pipe rack in a bale-top jar. And I intend to keep this jar full. Frankly, I can't imagine a day going bad after my ritual LNF and coffee. It is THAT good!!! A little sweet, a little nut, just a smidge of spice (from just a HINT of perique)... it just doesn't get any better. No bite, no bitter. A nice mild, sweet start to the day. Yep, there are a lot more complex VA blends out there but I'll save those for later in the day. Who needs complexity at that hour, anyway? An all day smoke? Sure, but I don't smoke all day. 3 full bowls is a heavy day for me. So that breakfast bowl is important.

If you are looking at getting into VA blends this is a great place to start. If you already do VAs you gotta give this a try. And hey, if you are a frugal b#&%d like me the price of this little honey is dirt cheap. How can you go wrong?

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)

This tobacco is the citrus and the hay. As another reviewer has stated, the Perique peppers just a bit and then disappears; however, the Virginia dominates in a delightful exchange between sweetness and hay.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)

Quite a pleasant Navy flake. The flavor is mild, not too far removed from Macbaren's Navy flake. There's hints of cinnamon, sugar, leather. The sweetness is present, yet very subtle. It smokes cool, and the flavor endures from start to finish. The perique is quite subtle, playing peek-a-boo and playing second fiddle to the virginia, which is wonderful. A good all-day smoke.

troyn60 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troyn60 (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A great flake... I don't get the Perique in it very much, but every now and then I'll get a little peppery flavor, which isn't at all unpleasant. Real quality tobacco, and at a great price, too. This could be an all day smoke.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm primarily a Latikia/oriental guy, but sometimes enjoy a change of pace, especially early in the day. Either straight virginia or vaper type blends seem to be the ones I always go to. I decided to try nave flake, so here goes my impressions.

It's very easy to light, even folded and stuffed in the bowl, and requires no relights smoking at a normal pace. Not a nicotine monster, but enough to satisfy. I can't make it bite, even puffing like a freight train. I'm sensitive to too much perique, burns my mouth, and the perique is here in this one, just a little lighter than other vaper blends on the market, so it works well for me. I consider it an all day smoke, great flavor, and if you factor in the price, its a no brainer.

I think you have to smoke this blend for a few days to begin to appreciate the subtile flavors, and slow smoking really brings out the sweetness. I think i've found my go to blend on a daily basis. I like Cornell and Diehl's Briar Fox only a little better than this, which I can buy in bulk and save quite a bit of coin. Recomended

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Thanks to value alone, this should be a four star blend. That said, it is still worth a solid three stars on its own merits.

Reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced, Red....without the Perique, obviously. I really like OGS, so no worries there. A pleasant lighter spectrum Virginia, it burns readily, smells good, and tastes good. Not bitey, although I sometimes get just that from vapers. It may not be my ideal flake, but I've yet to bore of it before bowls end...a good sign. Maybe nothing to write home about, but nothing here to regret, either. I can see me buying more of this...and let's face it, at the cost ($40 for a 1-1/2 pound box...of flake!) even now...well, I'd be insane not to. Overall, recommending this one is way too easy. If you haven't tried it yet, please do.

Let me state that I am a fan of PS blends, for the money they are a great value and have many good blends that I smoke alot. Somehow though, this one escaped me. I love a good VaPer, and while this one is no Escudo, it is a very pleasant smoke and i am enjoying it. It is a very handsome flake, thinly sliced, very uniform in shades of brown from Khaki to medium in color. It comes way to moist for my tastes, but dried somewhat, it produces a nice sweet smoke with a touch of spice in it. The room note to me is great but AI have to put it in the pleasant to tolerable catagory as my wife is not find of it. Once loaded in my pipe, it takes several tries to get it lit but once going, it gives a nice creamy, smoke with the VA flavor soming through loud and clear and the Perique on the weaker side, just giving it spice without the plum taste I get from a lot of VaPers. If steaily puffed it stays lit but if smoked to slow one must relite it several times. It burns clean all the way to the bottom of the pipe leaving a grey powdery ash. I think I prefer some of the other Luxery blends to it but I will return to this blend from time to time as it certainly provides a good smoke.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'll recommend this blend to a person who likes VaPers. I don't see anything to write home about here but not complaining either. I asked for a sample due to the flue curing mentioned above as flue cured tobaccos are said to be a bit higher in Nic. All I can say is that there's not much perique and the VA must be extremely mild because the flue curing hasn't done much to give it some 'stones'.The second half of the bowls I've smoked becomes a little richer but that's about it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice flake and at a great price. Upon lighting you get a Virginia hay/orange citrus note, something similar to Troost. After a 1/4 of the pipe you are still looking for the Perique but instead the flavor has mellowed similar to Orlik's Golden Slices (Red). Still very mild, no bite and a sweet hay flavor as the citrus is gone. The bottom half is my preference, as the Perique starts to show itself, I personally would like more. As I started to puff away to bring out the Perique I noticed I had to back off due to some small amount of Bite. This might improve with cellaring but I'll stick with Weybridge for a cheap Vaper smoke and Escudo when I want a treat. Updated 4/10/11, After allowing this to breath, I would like to give another star to "recommended". I find myself going to this tobacco more and more. It's not complex, but a good on the go tobacco.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

PS Navy Flake may not be one of the best in it's genre but it is still a very solid Va/Per plus it's a flake which are always fun to play with. If you're a fan of Va/Pers than you owe it to yourself to try this blend at least once and why wouldn't you because it can be had for dirt cheap. I'll admit that if I smoke too much of Navy Flake it can get a bit tiresome but that is about the only negative I can think of. Enjoy!

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

PS Navy Flake… A somewhat thin and larger flake readily available in bulk. One of the three in the P.S. luxury series, that IMO is well worth the asking price, which by the the way is very reasonable for such quality. Judging by the number of reviews this product has received, it looks to be quite popular as well, and it's easy to see why. Simple rubout and load, takes to the match and with only a few relights, stays lit, with no bite or harshness and has all the bright Virginia flavors you could hope for. Definitely a Virginia dominate blend, where the Perique is noticeable, but far from the driver's seat, a condition that works for me. At this point of having smoked a dozen or so bowls, I can find nothing to complain about, and don't see that changing, except maybe for the better with some age. Of the three, I put this one as my favorite, and as far as that goes, maybe one of my top 10 all time favorites. Getting this (4oz) sample to try was a fluke, I thought I had my fill of Navy this or Navy that, but I was wrong, one more was the charm. I ended up with something new breaking into my rotation. So as it turned out, I would recommend this tobacco to anyone that favors a milder Virginia, including beginners. 4 stars.

PS… Smoked in a smaller bowl briar, dedicated to Virginia tobaccos.

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)

This is one of my favorite VaPers. I usually smoke this using my Charatan pipe. I gently rub the flake(s) thereby creating thicker strands. I don't rub it to the point that it creates a ribbon. I figure that having thicker strands would equate to a richer, fuller, and more flavorful smoke.

Unlike McClelland's Virginia/Perique Flake (Bulk 2015), LNF has a more subtle and pleasant aroma. McClelland on the other hand, has a more "ketchup" like, or as one of my friends would describe it, "barbeque" like aroma. Mind you, I do love McClelland's VaPer. As a matter of fact, it is one of my favorites as well.

I do find that LNF starts out to be somewhat mild, then the strength and flavor becomes more apparent as you go deeper into the bowl. A hint of sweetness can also be noted as well.

Pete Stoke did well on this one. The combination of VA and Perique is just perfect. If one were to start getting into VaPers, this would be a great one to try. Not only would this be a great beginning, but also NOT cost prohibitive as it is a moderately priced tobacco. I RECOMMEND you try this. This is one blend that will not let you down.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

Cant say mmch more than whats been said . Its a great blend that I give 3 stars to . If the strength were kicked up a little I'd give it 4 .... UPDATE 4/2011 .. The strength is fine .. This is a perfect blend ! 4 stars

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is what got me into non-aromatics (and flakes), and after four other VA blends, it's still my favorite. One of my local tobacconists carries this, and I'm able to get it in small amounts. I recently came back to this after a few weeks of trying out a wide variety of other blends. On light, its woody and sharp, but within a few sips it settles down. Unlike other lighter straight virginias, I don't detect a whole lot of that typical sweetness, nor a lot of fruit/citrus notes. Instead, I get a lot of creaminess with an underlying maple taste. Not a latakia sort of creaminess, but more of an oaty/malty sort of flavor. Releasing through the nose gives me a hint of pepperiness, but this isn't a peppery blend. Despite the name, this doesn't appear to be cased with rum, but it's darn fine anyway. I could very well see this becoming an all-day sort of blend, because it keeps interest, but at the same time it does not require concentrated sipping. A caveat, however, is that you can't let it burn too hot or let it dry out; it will get acrid.

I don't rub this out fully, but sort of roll it into a messy ball and stuff it into a kirsten.

It's cheap, too. I smoked this all summer, and I'm discovering it's great as a fall smoke, too.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of mu very favorite VaPers. Sort of a cross between Escudo and G&H Louisina Flake to my tastes. A nice fruity brighter Va and more of a plumlike tang than a pepper addition from the perique.

I like it much better the Luxury Bullseye Flake. This one is much sweeter and bolder. Certainly, many fans of LBF. But I find it very flat.

If you like a good Va and/or VaPer I can't imagine you'll hate LNF. It may not be the end all and be all VaPer for you. But it's a darned fine one. And it comes at a terrific price especially if purchased in 24 oz bulk.

I highly recommend any interested party at least give this one a shot.

AmericanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmericanPiper (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice mild smoke with a bit of spice from the perique. Will spit juice in your mouth without much trying if you don't dry it out first. Otherwise this is a slow burning decent smoke whether folded and stuffed or rubbed out.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

This Pete's blend is my absolute favorite. This is my go-to blend, and I never tire of it. I can't say anything bad about this blend. This made me so glad that I'm a pipe smoker. After countless trials and errors with different flake tobaccos, this one is a true gem. And the prices for this in bulk are more than reasonable...

Por2gee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Por2gee (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke more of this flake than any other blend in my rotation. I came for the price, I stayed for the flavor. Just enough perique to add a little tingle in the snoot and whatever Stokkebye does with it's virginia takes the bite rite out of it (never had a Stokkebye virginia bite).All in all it is a good blend that can be smoked all day and enjoyed thoroughly.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

This is another excellent PS offering. The flake is at as close to perfect moisture as any I have seen. The VA and Per combination are flavorful and down right exciting. Either rubbed out or folded and stuffed it smokes down cleanly with no adverse changes as the bottom is reached. Highly recommended.

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me review this from the perspective of looking at this tobacco as a VaPer, as in my opinion this is really what this flake is. The tobacco came at just the right humidity for smoking, rubbed out easily and packed into the pipe just nicely, pretty much one flake for a bowl. Taste-wise, LNF is a virginia dominant blend with the perique somewhat subtle in the background. The taste of the perique is noticeable, but not intrusive and actually quite gentle.....this remains throughout the bowl and does not get harsher or stronger as the bowl progresses. The virginia as well remains somewhat consistent from beginning to end.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a light, refreshing smoke that has perique in the background and only a light hit of nicotine.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not sure if it is because I have been smoking for many years, but I can hardly taste anything when I smoke this tobacco. About all I can detect is the slight spicy note of the Perique.

It seems to produce a cool smoke, and is incredibly smooth. It also has a noticeable level of nicotine.

This would be good as an all-day smoke, as you can smoke a lot of it without any ill effects, but it does lack a certain depth.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be my favorite in the Luxury Flake series. Tasty VA with enough perique to make it spicy and also tame the edges of the VA somewhat. Really nicely prepared and processed. Smells amazing in the pouch. Good value. I think it's a notch below the Hearth & Home VAPers, also would prefer Escudo and Scottish Cake, probably also SG St. James Flake and GH Louisiana Perique Flake, but this one isn't far behind... maybe not a top ten VAPer, but probably in the top fifteen.

UPDATE After some more smoking, I've found other blends that have similar flavor, only more of it, and less bite, notably HOTW and Old Gowrie from Rattray. The major claim to fame for this tobacco is that it is readily available and quite inexpensive.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not your typical Navy flake, but as a perique blend, it is darn near pefect. Wonderful balance, spicy/sweet roomnote, and the snork is pure magic. I'd say this stuff is better even than C&D Sunday Picnic.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very good for the virginia smoker on a budget citrusy virginia taste pretty much the whole bowl, smoke slowly and you will be rewarded with a very pleasant virginia taste, aging does not seem to improved or detriment this tobacco. For the price it can be beat and that's why is getting 3 stars from me. The perique is none detectable for my taste buds, but it has to be there because if not this would bite hard.

schnorrer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schnorrer (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A mild, sweet Virginia with a touch of spice from Perique. It is one of my favorite "all day tobaccos"- good enough to smoke when you plan to settle down with a pipe and concentrate on your smoking, but it doesn't demand or need your attension, so you can burn it down with impunity while walking, reading, working in the yard or fishing. Least bite of any Virginia I have tried.

The flakes are beautifully made and cut. They can be rubbed out if you like, but are perfectly good to simply “fold and stuff” into the bowl (my preferred way with this tobacco). The mositure content is fine when first received, no need to dry out before smoking. This would be an ideal first flake for a beginner. Room note is simple and appealing to those who like pipe smoke.

It will never replace my S.G. Best Brown or Medium Virginia Flake in my rotation, but I will always have a pouchful of this for when I am out and about running errands, or working on the “honey do” list, or casting for trout.

(Note- my review is in reference to other Virginia tobaccos. If Virginia tobaccos don't appeal to you, this is not going to change your mind. If you like mild Virginias, or want to try Virginias, I would definitely recommend it.)

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

I write this review considering LNF against all tobacco, not just Navy Flake as a style. I don't have a whole lot of Navy Flake background, heck MacB's Plumcake is the closest I have come with any regularity. That being said, I have really enjoyed this bag of tobacco. The feel and consistency of the flakes is firm and sturdy. They lend themselves well to being folded up and the ends ruffled just before loading the pipe. Usually I like to rub flakes out to a nice ball of ribbons, but this one seems to develop a measurably greater amount of complexity when broken up, but not rubbed to shreds. I find it to be bite free, even with my madman puffing pace I sometimes can't help but engage in. I didn't notice any added flavors like I notice with the aforementioned MacB. What I did find was thick, sweet, fresh turned summer hay. That little sour/spicy tang from the Perique. Occasionally a soft, thick pillow of a buttery caramel that would back itself into something leathery and earthy. This is a real bang for the buck flake, and I'll bet sealing it up for a while in a jar will make it even better.

davespectda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
davespectda (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I've been smoking cigars for years and recently starting getting into the pipe. My favorite so far is wilke #524. I wanted to try some flake, and just recently tried samuel gawith full virginia flake, which I like. This one just tastes completely bland and flat to me. I am trying a few more bowls to see if my opinion changes, but each time I smoke it I can't find anything redeeming about it except that it smokes smooth from my perspective.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

This is the only Navy flake I've tried and enjoyed it. Though I read that Navy's are supposed to have more of a rum flavor. I didn't catch it but I'm still learning... I love Stokkebye's other flakes and will continue to buy this one as well. Update: this flake is very good, I could smoke this all day! It has that hayish flavor that reminds me of granpa's shed in the middle of the cornfields of Indiana. Topped just right for a natural navy flake. Lord, I love pipe smoking.

Jack Straw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jack Straw (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be a good tobacco for the money. It is easy on the perique, for a so called 'va/per,' a style of which I am a fan. But I will not compare it to my favorites, as they tend to be stronger smokes with more perique added.

The first few puffs of the bowl left me wanting more. It had a sort of bland ashy taste and was reminiscent of cigarette tobacco. Then, before I knew it I noticed a nice subtle Virginia sweetness. Never got that big spicy perique kick, but was a solid smoke nonetheless and had a few moments of brilliance. I think it took me a minute to warm up to it because my palette tends to prefer strong flavors. Someone mentioned a taste of "hay" and I think that makes sense to me looking back. It has a sort of golden sweetness, almost like a burley, but not quite the same.

Overall I rated this three stars, at is very good for the price. I plan on buying more as a knockaround smoke.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)

This baccy has to grow on you a bit to fully appreciate it. The first bowl was a "Neah" but after 10-12 bowls, I really started to like it.

Rubs out easily to fine strings. Very few sticks. A little too moist as received. After a days drying, packs easily, lights easily with 2 lights and smokes all the way down with no fuss and does not become objectionable toward the bottom of the bowl. No bad aftertaste in the pipe or mouth. Does not smoke hot or bite. Taste is pleasantly sweet and mild as is the room note but I wouldn't really call it an aromatic. The perique shows itself well without any dominance. Very good quality leaf and treatment.

A good 2nd use for this blend is it has saved a few trash baccys that I couldn't really stand otherwise. By mixing it in various strengths, they have become somewhat enjoyable.

Although not one of my very favorites, will definitely order this again and keep on hand. A good strong 3 stars.

A very nice simple Virginia flake. Nothing could be farther from those aged McClellands (which I love) than this. Grassy, naturally mild and sweet; and I have enjoyed it on its own and also as one of my favorite Virginias to blend. I have been meaning to get more of it and certainly will. The only Stokkebye I prefer to it is Bullseye. I do not taste much perique in it but sometimes add some, which for perique fans such as myself, complements beautifully.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Actually belong some tobaccos which I've rated with 2 stars, the Luxury Navy Flake deserves the third star. But for a good Virginia-Perique blend I think it is very mild on taste and strength.

This blend has a good quality Virginia leaf in it. The flakes are smelling really apetisant. It lights and smokes easy. The very first taste is a good sweet Virginia taste with just a touch of peppery Perique. I expected it to reach a satisfactory richness of taste and strength. It didn't. It smokes in its light way.

When you want the smoke to be richer at taste and strength you may puff the pipe harder. This is a kind of reflex we do without thinking sometimes. If this tobacco bites your tongue this may be the reason. You need somethin stronger.

I'll recommend it for the beginners to experience how a high quality Virginia-Perique blend tastes whit a well balanced puffing cadence.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Esrly on in my pipe smoking carrer/hobby/fascination(1972 and onwards to 78) I tended to have a rather limited view or much appreciation of many tobacco supply houses. Peter Stokkebye happened to be one of these. I smoked MacBaren's tobacco(mostly Dark Twist, Club Blend and a few others) and quite a few of the English/Balkan blends but Peter Stokkebye was out of the range of my rather snoobish attitude. I regret this blind spot now and though I still can't appreciate the heavy aromatics they produce I am more than pleased with the "Luxury" blends they provide. All of them I've tried, in fact.

The Bulleye Flake and the Navy flake are superb. As of the present I have not sampled the Luxury Twist Flake but I will soo remedy that lack. I am sure it will be as exemplary as the others.

Navy Flake and Bullseye are remarkable tobaccos at any time of the day. Strength-wise they are exactly right when a light to medium smoke is called for. Personally I don't have the capacity to tell what the flavoring agents are as some of the commenteers do;I just either like or dislike what I'm tasting and Peter Stokkebye seems to have gotten this exactly right in both of the abovementioned blends. It just tases great without overpowering either the taste of the constituent tobaccos or the room note. The room note is fine with me and my good wife and as far as others are concerned I am not all that concerned. I smoke the Kendal tobacco companies' products regularly and a range of Latakia blends as well and Peter Stokkebye's two(and most likely the third untried offering) fit quite nicely into my taste inventory qite handily.

A Highly Recommended acclade for these tobacco blends is obvious.They both fill and burn exceptionally well and have just the right amount of nicotine as well.

Bravo to Peter Stokkebye and sorry I took so long getting to know thee!

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (more eclectic than previously)

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This gets most interesting about half-way through the bowl. The perique starts to at a bit of complication to this tobacco. It has a nice roomnote, and a friend and myself agreed, this is not bad tasting for a Virginia tobacco. Both of us lean more towards the English side but if you just want a straight up tobacco to smoke in a social setting, or perhaps a light tasting smoke for mid-day it is worth trying. It loads well, smokes well, and its something both you and people around you can enjoy.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A very light VaPer. Too light for me. Quality tobacco, well behaved in the pipe. Can bite if pushed. Overall, not near Escudo or Flake Medallions. Good bulk price.

Coolmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coolmojo (3)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

The appearance upon opening the bag was wonderful. You could easily tell this was a quality product. The bag aroma was very pleasant but not overpowering, and very grass like. I had very high expectations as I packed the first bowl....

And I was completely and totally disappointed through the entire bowl. There was no flavor, and I don't mean the flavor was bland or you could hardly taste it, I mean no flavor whatsoever. I could just as easily been drawing on an empty pipe. Or for that matter I think I would get more flavor FROM an empty pipe.

I really wanted to like this tobacco, its appearance and price were just to good to give up after just one bowl. So I came here in the hopes I would find stellar reviews and hopefully find I had gotten a bad batch. What I found was some very sage advice from Pipe4ever. Smoke 10-15 bowls without smoking anything else. Well sure, why not. I figured since I had bought several ounces anyway all I had to loose was 10 bowls with no flavor to speak of.

Around bowl 8 I started noticing a sweet, hay like flavor begin to develop. By bowl 11 the flavor was strong enough I honestly wondered how I missed it for so long. It doesn't nock you over, the flavor is very nice and subtle. It does scream fresh cut hay but in a very good way.

Even with the initial disapointmemt I have to give this tobacco the highest rating. I prefer stronger and sweeter VA's but even though this isn't my normal "cup o tea", I will certainly buy this tobacco again, and have a big ol smile on my face as I anticipate loading my pipe..

Lawrence G. Foster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawrence G. Foster (7)

Like its brothers Twist flake and Bull's eye flake, this is a quality Virginia flake. A stronger presence of perique makes this a spicier smoke that can still yield the sweetness of Virginia's if puffed slowly enough.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

Like many blends reviewed here, the Recommendation ratings have been all across the board. Yet, there are some common denominators. This is a straightforward blend, light in VaPer, a good all-day smoke. I'd guess that cellaring might yield a greater maturity to it, but it likely won't be monumental. I'm sure that the base tobaccos are of high quality, but it will never lead any list of best VaPers. It rubs out well, burns well, I got no tongue bite whatsoever. It's just not very complex. As has been stated, a pound of this represents a great bargain, and that has prompted me to give it a low 3-star rating. If this blend cost any more, I'd have dropped it to 2-stars. Their Luxury Bulls-Eye is a lot better blend, and is still a bargain.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

While I love several of Peter Stokkebye offerings, this one leaves me a bit flat. Expecting something labeled ?Luxury Navy Flake? I expect Rum flavoring, and a cavendish treatment. This product is simply Vaper flake and light on the Perique.

Appearance: A mostly chestnut brown with some lighter brown and tan mottling with a few yellowish bits leathery flake of uniform thickness.

Tin aroma: The first thing that is apparent when opening a tin of Luxury Navy Flake is quite simply tobacco. You couldn't possibly mistake this for anything else. I don't detect any casing or topping at all, just a fresh tobacco smell, deep and rich. There are nice stewed fruit tones, with leather and spiciness and a lighter almost citrus note.

This tobacco is absolutely perfect for smoking, no drying time required. As with most flake tobaccos I simply take several flakes together, fold them in half and insert them length-wise into the bowl trimming off the excess. I find it has a much better burn this way and makes for a long enjoyable smoke.

For this review, I?ve chosen an Nording Silver Series Canadian which is dedicated to Virginia based flakes.

A first light is brings billows of rich white smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper to settle the light crowning effect and then a tamping light. Immediately there is a citrus note followed with medium bodied Virginia flavors. When exhaled nasally there is a slight sharpness and citrus quality and deep leathery flavors and scents. The first third of the bowl gradually builds in slowly increasing intensity. This has a very rich creamy mouth feel which I find irresistible. What seems absent is Perique.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while I wouldn?t call this mixture particularly complex, the flavors slowly deepen into a rich harmony. The Virginias build in depth and character while the Perique remains so far in the background as to remain un-detectable. The quality of tobaccos used in this mixture are very fine, and it remains a cool even burning Virginia, and quite flavorfull, sadly the Perique is in such a small portion that I've never really tasted it.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I find that it really is a fine ?autopilot Virginia flake? lacking enough Perique to be of much interest. This really doesn't detract from it being a fine product, I just prefer a larger dose of Perique. As for it being Navy, well forget it. There is nothing navy about this at all. All things considered, it's a fine Virginia Flake, at a very reasonable price.

Supplemental Notes: This might make the grade for a Virginia Flake without other expectations for a budget minded smoker. ** stars

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A lighter styled VaPer that seems consistent, bowl after bowl. Luxury Navy Flake has more body and I taste a little more perique than in its brother Luxury Twist Flake. I like this better for that reason. The price is good, too; althought that does not influence my ratings. A good, reliable smoke.

Govern Yourself Accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)

The great thing about this web site is being introduced to a blend that you can't get locally but find through one of the many available online tobacconist that ship to your door.

I got my "Luxury Navy Flake" through pipesandcigars.com and was excited when I saw the 1.5 X 2.25 inch light brown slices. It flaked out to a light, soft mound of great smelling tobacco.

Like many Virginia tobaccos, Navy Flake's flavor evolves as you smoke through the bowl. For me, it starts out tangy and develops it's sweetness. What I especially like is it has no bite. If you have a problem with puffing a little fast, as I do, you will be pleased with this blend. It won't bite you. But you will get the bug to order more. Keep this one on hand - you can't go wrong!

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Its a good day to be alive when you have a full two-ounce pouch of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, backed up by a half dozen other pouches of Stokkebye blends on my side table. I'm almost tempted to just eat it right out of the pouch.

I just finished a full pipe of this wonderfully spicy, but mild tobacco. Sitting on the back porch, listening to the frogs croak in the back pond, the cool breeze was not strong enough to rob me of the additional second-hand pleasure of enjoying the complex aromas that still linger in my memory.

I paired this with a glass of Aberlour 16-year-old single malt Scotch whisky. I'm glad I chose a bit stronger malt to go with it. A weaker Speyside or a Lowland malt would have been lost on the palate. Next time I'll try a more expensive 18 year-old Macallan, or something else with a strong oakey complexity. As I said, life is good.

The wife, who tolerates my more masculine quirks with a guarded feminine fascination, even asked me what it was. (Note that she did NOT ask "What the aytch-eee-double-el IS that?" as she is often wont to say). So that's a good thing.

I originally reviewed this in the summer of 2008. As of November 2012, this blend has earned a solid 3-star rating. Of the 116 ratings, over 75% have granted it either 3 or 4 stars, and only five reviewers have given it a 1-star rating. One of those is an Australian who complains that there isn't enough Perique. He should try the P.S. Bullseye flake. Another admits that its the first Virginia/Perique he's tried. And a third complains that its too hot, and is probably just packing it too loose or puffing too fast. This blend needs a slower more peaceful opportunity to explore its complexities.

For those of us who consider it a 4-star blend, it hits the right spot. I hope to enjoy this the next time my Lodge brethren meet on the level after a hearty steak dinner.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This was my first flake tobacco in a series of tests to arrive at my 12, that is the 12 best tobaccos in 3 categories: Burley, Virginia/English and Flake. Needless to say there are many exceptional tobaccos out there in all three of these categories. Unfortunately, this is not one of them. No, I'm not prepared to totally tank this tobacco but I found it rather bland and unremarkable. Every once in a blue moon, a fair virginia taste emerges but if there is perique here I surely could not detect it. Technique with this one is huge and it becomes very hot and bitey when puffed even a bit too fast. If you're looking for straight virginia taste (which is, on a good day, all you'll get here), I would have to recommend Old Gowrie or even MacBaren Va #1 to this. This is not a horrible tobacco mind you, just a bit bland and a bit of a disappointment. I only have four seats in my 12 for flakes and I suspect this one probably won't make the cut.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

To summarize the whole smoke I would say that it was bland. Bland to the point of monotony. I kept hoping that maybe, just maybe the taste, strength, or spiciness would develop somewhere but it didn?t. Nothing stood out to me with this blend. Oh and it had a bite like a rabid dog when I smoked it a bit too fast.

Update After smoking more of this and aging it for a bit it really developed in a good way.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Nothing overly exciting here, just a very solid easy smoking tobacco. This blend lights and burns very easily all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The Virginia is very mild with a slightly sweet taste. Perique is used sparingly; enough to taste but not to overpower the smoke. I didn?t experience any tongue bit but it did burn hot due to me puffing harder than normal due to the mild nature of this blend. This could easily be an all day smoke when giving your palate a break from heavy latakia blends.

There are better VAPER blends out there but you?re looking to try this type of blend or looking for a mild blend for you rotation, considering the price it?s hard to beat.

DBCooper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBCooper (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

LNF this is a delicious, very subtle VaPer. If you like that genre, give it a try. The pouch aroma is pleasant. I have found that it is best smoked slowly and favors a well rubbed out, loose pack. The thin slices are easily crumbled. As mentioned, the Perique component is very light, but it?s enough for me. LNF lights up well, smokes to a fine ash, and seems to be indifferent to pipe capacity. For a long drive, I will load up a Baronet EX 315, 121 and enjoy. It could comfortably be an all day smoke for a VaPer fan. It can bite if pushed but that hasn?t been a problem for me. This is a very economical tobacco. LNF seems to me to be Denmark?s answer to Carter Hall. It is a great, everyday, mild smoke at a good price. LNF is also sold by Iwan Ries as Cavendish Slices and depending on your local Sin tax it my be a better buy! Reviews for Slices apply here.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I'm slowly making my way through the couple of trial ounces I bought of this. Not that impressed. Looks nice. Rubs out well, packs easily and burns steady. Tends to be harsh without much taste. I haven't found any sweet ar tangy presense - just smoke. I think Bullseye has a slight edge over this one but not by much. I don't see buying anymore of this once it's gone.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Just another VaPer. A bit tangy to my palate, and with less perique than desired. I feel that aging should improve it big time, and I might update accordingly in a year or more.

Tongue bite is also an issue. Mild taste notwithstanding, nicotine level is medium, so it doesn't lead to overpuffing.

The upside is the price.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This is an occasional smoke for me. The presentation and quality of the product is top-grade, as is the price. It's not my favorite primarily because it seems a little raw sometimes. I enjoy Luxury Bullseye flake more, but all-in-all still a premium offering.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

This is not bad, and as I recall it is not very expensive. It will bite a tad if hurried and as other reviewers have noted, the perique is not present in any significant quantity.

It is sweet, cheap, flavorful, tasty and burns well. What else can you ask for. I like this a little on the dry side with very little rubbing out, other than for the charring light. Not bad at all.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (19)

This is my regular smoke and, if I could only have one tobacco, this would be it.

It's not the best in any single category (aroma, taste, bite, easy of lighting, moisture content, etc.) but its toward the top end in each and it never bores, tires or offends. Also, the price is great and the quality consistently high.

I agree with the other reviewers that it's light on the Perique but, for me, that's OK.

If you smoke a lot of Virginia tobacco, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)

I agree with some of the other reviewers, that Luxury Navy Flake is an underated blend. I bought 4 oz. bluk, and the mosisture level was perfect. This is a beautiful thin flake, that folds easily or can be rubbed out. I usually pack several flakes in a Perterson 307 and enjoy an hour plus of good smoking.

The VA's provide natural sweetness and the perique has a good amount of spice. This is not the most full flavored VAPER, but a nice blanced smoke. The bulk prices from Smoking Pipes can't be beat.

stevevb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stevevb (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Figured I ought to put my review out for the P.S. Luxury navy flake as it has been my primary smoke for over a year and a half. This tobacco is a little finicky, if it is too moist or smoked to fast, it will have a tendancy to bit and taste like grass, smoked slow it will be just slightly sweet and spicy. The flakes are easily rubbed out, althogh I typically fold the flake with a little rubbed out on top

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

SWEET, GRASS

I cannot tell if this is cased, I thought no- I also cannot detect the perique... I did taste a nice Virginia and smoked about a pound of the stuff. It is sweet, a little grassy, and will bite the hurried. I find it similar to Orliks golden slices with greater flavor, but the grassy/hay eventually turned me off of it. (after an awfull lot of it however!!!) The Twisted Navy they offer is sweeter, smells better-

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

This is an underrated blend well deserving of 4 stars. Along with Mc Clelland's 2015, it goes to the top of my list of Virginia/Perique blends.

Update 5/16/06. I continue to find LNF a fine tobacco and I'm enjoying some I've been ageing over the years. However, I'm downgrading this to 3 stars because I've found so many other VAPERS that I find more appealing.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first started smoking a pipe I would smoke nothing but aromatic tobacco. These days I can't tolerate anything but all natural. This tobacco would be one of my favorites if not for the mild casing. It is one of the mildest casings I have ever tasted mind you, but it is a casing nonetheless. It is a beautiful tobacco to the eye-flakes of golden yellow and black specks of perique. This is a quality Virginia and perique blend. The perique is barely noticeable. It can bite if puffed on too fast. However,after several years of aging the bite has gone away. For someone seeking an extremely mild aromatic this would probably fit the bill quite nicely.

Tony B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony B (8)

I was gifted a generous sample of Luxury Navy Flake to try. I find this to be a excellent mild yet flavorful Virginia/Perique blend. The Virginia tobacco lends to the undertones of sweetness and the Perique adds the right amount of peppery spice on the tongue. This is a quality tobacco it rubs out and packs well and burns easily. I detect no added flavors of any toppings. This is a nice smoke that I will recommend.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first foray into the realm of Virginia/Perique blends, and I feel this was a great introduction. The flakes are well made. The tobacco used is high quality, with the Virginia being dry and toasty, with the Perique supplementing the flavor with a peppery spice, and a stewed fruit mouth feel. Nothing monumental, just a good relaxing smoke. I'm not sure if this style will become a favorite, but this was a very enjoyable start.

As an aside, from what I can gather from old advertisements and other literature, the term navy flake, and navy cut simply meant that they were well adapted to being smoked outside in windy conditions. The cut also allowed the tobacco to stay in the pipe, while being smoked on the ever pitching, rolling, yawing deck of a ship. Imagine how a cube cut, although cool burning, would dump everywhere...

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This was the first Flake I ever smoked and the first tobacco with Perique in it. This tobacco was the reason for me to change the tobaccos I smoked. I became a Flake lover..... and a Perique lover because of this tobacco. Since I tried this one I have found many tobaccos I love. I still keep a lot of this around and still enjoy it from time to time. The Perique in it is very nice and mild compared to some others. I would recommend this one to any one.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

One of the best Virgina flakes I've smoked to date. Packs well, burns easily and provides little or no bite to the experienced smoker. The perique is mild and in no way interrupts the flavor of the Virginia. Highly recommended.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)

LNF is a very nice virginia, It is mild on the tongue, and easy on the pocket book. As far as the perique in this blend is concerned, I barely detect any, but the great virginia flavor alone makes it a very nice smoke. I dont believe it to be cased as some in here have mentioned. Try some, I think you will like it.

Tubalcain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tubalcain (6)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

When I first smoked this tobacco, It tasted rather average to me. However, I slowed it down considerably and noticed flavors and aromas I missed the first time around. As the bowl smokes down, the flavors become more intense and satisfying, tempting me to blow more and more through my nose for a nice refreshing sensation. I have detected the faint aroma of fresh baking bread and cooking sugar when smoking near the last third of the bowl. Very easy to rub out, pack, and smoke. Two match standard light and it smokes to the bottom with no problem. Smells great in the pouch and better in my pipe. A great tobacco for someone trying this type of tobacco for the first time. Four out of four stars.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice Va/Per although surprisingly light; perhaps too much so in comparison to Escudo and company. The Perique, if it is truly present, is extraordinarily well behaved. I find that it doesn't so much add the expected pepper component, as merely provide a bit more body to the Virginia and round out the modest flavor.

The blend lights easily and burns smoothly with minimal relights in it's rubbed out state. Ash is a mottled gray and black.

LNF wouldn't be my first choice when reaching for a Va/Per however, due to it's mildness, it could well add this category to the morning menu.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

On light up, I am struck by the Perique level, a bit stronger and harsher than I expected after smoking Luxury Twist Flake. DGT calms the edges somewhat. I would characterize this as a medium-strong VA/P, as it has a bit of fire-cured character to it. Some nose ticle, minor back-of-throat edge, and lacking almost all fragrant VA characteristics. Nonethless, I would keep this around, as my to-of-the-range VA, or for times when you need a hearty smoke.

As it burns, some minor fragrant VA elements flicker in the background. As VA/P's usually get stronger as they go, I'm not expecting much more there. This burns nicely. Also, I'm noticing a bit of nicotine buzz; I'm guessing there is a decent amount here. Room note would not be especially nice to a non-smoker. No casing or sweetener detected. This is in a class, to me, with Escudo and Ashton Black Parrot.

As the smoke passes the halfway mark, the Perique begins to integrate with the rest of the blend for the first time. With this integration, the slight harshness fades into the background. The mouth aftertaste is sour/bitter. It burns very slowly.

Shellgame Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shellgame (1)

Readily available. Bulk prices. Good quaility. Natural blend with just the tobaccos for taste. I smoke a ton of this. I would like recomendations on a blend that has more perique in it, anything but 2015! I would prefer a flake and bulk availability. Until i come up with that one. I am gonna stick with this. I recently found this site and have been reading all of you with great interest. I even bought some mason jars.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

This is my favorite PS blend so far. I found it exceptionally smooth with a mellow toastiness and just the right amount of perique. It is sweet and flavorful throughout with no bite. I prefer it to its higher rated brethren, Luxury Twist Flake. This is good stuff matey!

I rate this tobacco 9.1 out of 10.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is comparable to P.S. Luxury Twist. I find it about one third stronger than Orlicks' Golden. There is some flavoring present maybe a slight anise taste. I used the fold & stuff method in a fairly large free hand pipe. Fired right up with little difficulty. One tamp, relight and one long bite-free smoke. No perique detected, but may be too subtle for my limited palate. I would give this three and a half out of four stars. A very nice, rich, dark flake. Burned clean with no gurgle. I thought Navy Flakes always included rum. I don't taste any rum but it may be present in the aroma as it smells better than most non-aromatics. A very nice user friendly flake. No bad attributes at all.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As I have indicated in other reviews of Stokkebye blends, they are all extremely well made. "Luxury Navy Flake" is no exception. However, I don't know why it is called a "Navy" flake. The term "Navy" invariably (that is, until now) implies that rum is in some way infused into the tobacco--- usually cavendish pressed; e.g., MabBaren's Plum Cake, McClelland's Navy Cavendish, Cornell & Diehl's Blockade Runner, etc. This blend seems to consist of natural unsweetened Virginia and a little Perique. I detect no added flavors or aromatic agents, including rum. In fact, I cannot even detect the Perique. I find "Luxury Navy Flake" to be too mild for afternoon or evening, but quite good as the first pipe of the day. Despite the fact that this is a dense flake and certainly not dry, it lights easily and needs a minimum of relights. It has a nice light aroma to go along with a nice light taste. All in all, I give this a grade of "B".

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

This is my third baccy I have tried from the folks at Stokkebye. It keeps getting better. This is a virginia/perique blend par excellence. The virginia comes through loud and clear as as excellent mild yet flavorful tobacco with a definite sweet undertone. Then one can savor the sour notes from the perique not quite in the background. More up front. Very ewell done. I have to say this has moved right up to the top 5 virginia/perique blends for me. I find I can't smoke any one all the time. I tend to tire of certain flavors and don't pick them up after a while. If I change around I heighten my appreciation of the weeds at hand. 41/2 stars.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)

This is a very well behaved and flavorful smoke that I highly recommend, and this coming from a virginia tongue-bite wimp.

Appearance: This arrives in a thinly cut flake approximately 60mm x 35mm in size. The color is light to dark brown, with the light color primarily as bird?s eye spots in the flake.

Tin Aroma: This is fruity smelling prior to lighting, very similar in scent to Solani 633.

I have smoked this fully rubbed and also folded and sausage rolled. I highly recommend the latter method, with care to avoid overpacking. The tobacco will expand when lit, and overpacking will result in too tight of a draw. This should be loose, with perhaps ½ to 2/3 of cross section of the bowl filled. A bit of fully rubbed out tobacco on top will help get an initial light started, as well as topping off the bowl.

This method of packing does demand quite a bit of care to keep lit; I often find 10 or more matches required through the course of a bowl. Smoking characteristics with respect to comfort are very good. The blend is very comfortable to smoke. This blend does deliver a rather dirty smoke with respect to cleanup, but is not ashy tasting.

Flavor is sweet and broad across the middle of the spectrum. This is not a citrus flavored tart VA, nor is the bass end of the spectrum represented. The flavor deepens through the course of the bowl, giving the necessary complexity that I prefer. I have not had a chance to DGT this, as the wonderful flavor encourages smoking it straight through.

Overall, this is a very well mannered and flavorful smoke. 90/100 for burning characteristics with incredible smoothness, but demanding many relights. Flavor is very nice with good complexity developing through the bowl, but no real highlights nor off-moments, generating a score of 90/100. Overall 90/100 and a great smoke in it?s field.

March 2004

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is a good virginia flake. While I have had better I would be hard pressed to consistantly find a better flake at the same or less price. For the same price range you can find some of the mcclelland bulk flakes but I prefer this to the mcclelland bulk flakes. This to me is less bitey than the mcclelland bulk flakes but either can be pressed to bite. I definately think this is worth a try and would highly recomend it to those who are looking for a good bargain flake.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is a nice, mellow, light Virginia/Perique flake.

The Virginias provide a soft, naturally sweet, slightly fruity, slightly "malty" base flavor. While not as assertive or complex as a McClelland VA, it still provides plenty of characteristic flavors of that tobacco. The Perique is a mild seasoning. Those who are averse to heavier VA/PER blends might want to give this one a try. At no point does the Perique frontally assault your palate.

Flavor is remarkably consistent throughout the bowl, merely intensifying as one smokes onward. It's easy-going on the tongue the whole way. The consistency is a good thing, although it doesn't "develop" throughout the bowl. It's very uniform.

This is very much an all-day tobacco, which doesn't tire out your tongue. Room note is acceptable - slightly toasty.

The flakes are easy to rub out to any consistency. They measure about 1 x 2.5" and are neither too thin nor too thick - about the same "gauge" as MacBaren Navy Flake or Edgeworth Sliced.

All in all, a very tasty and worthwhile tobacco. Available only in bulk, it's also very affordable. An excellent companion to Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This Stokkebye's approach to using a mild Virginia as a vehicle for delivering Perique flavor, similar to McClelland's #2015 without the bite or the fuller Virginia flavor. It is expertly done. I buy it in bulk and it comes in little square flakes about the size you would find in a 50g tin, dark brown in color. It is in good condition for immediate smoking, rubs , packs and lights easily. Right from the start you get a very, very mild Virginia flavor with the distinctive tang of Perique. The tobacco can nip a bit at the start, but evens out almost immediately. This flavor maintains itself through the first third of the bowl. Then the Perique strengthens and continues to strengthen all the way to the end of the smoke. For the bottom third of the bowl, each sip of smoke carries the delightful, intense flavor of Perique, and I do not want the smoke to ever end. I could enjoy the flavor forever. I usually smoke this in a Dunhill size No. 4 Blakemar Deluxe apple, and the bowl will last for over a half hour. A beautiful smoke. I sometimes smoke it in larger pipes, but I do not seem to get the extreme concentration of Perique toward the end that I get with the smaller bowl. This is the Perique lover's dream. The Virginia provides some sweetness, but not a lot of Virginia flavor. Highly recommended. Paddy.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)

I purchased a pound of this lovely tobacco in bulk. It is lovely to the eye. The tobacco itself appears to be very high quality. The scent of the tobacco in the pouch is wonderful. The notes are dark and bottom end, reminding me, pleasantly, of a molasses cookie, or gingerbread.

While the tobacco does feel dry to the touch, I had to clear my pipe a couple times per bowl, not typical for me. Also, this tobacco seemed to bite my tongue a little more readily than my usual fare, McClelland #2015.

Though of the same genre PS Luxury Navy Flake and 2015 are quite different tobaccos to my taste. They both pack, light and smoke very nicely. I have to pack both rather lightly or the draw is impaired. The taste of the PS is, however, like its scent, darker and deeper than MC 2015. It is very nice, just different.

Room note is always a tough one for me. I love the smell of natural tobacco. My wife hates it. So, I smoke outside. I find the room note pleasant because this is a very nice natural tobacco. The Perique does not seem as present as with the 2015. The big test, will I buy it again. Yes I will. If I have to choose between ordering this and 2015, I will go with the 2015.

Another nicely prepared flake from Stokkebye that is available in bulk @ reasonable prices. I found it quite similar to another PS blend, Luxury Twist Flake, that is one of my favorites. Packing and lighting are easy, the slow burnrate ideal and the smoke is dry. Due to the Perique added to this blend, the room aroma is less appealing to my family. In addition, I find the LTF to be sweeter in taste and aftertaste. If you prefer slightly more but still a subtle tang, this is the blend. Uncomplicated and not complex, but still a good smoke.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)

(I love Luxury Navy Flake) It has a superb kind of natural sweetness that's spot on & it smoke's very clean,right to the bottom of the bowl.The Perique is there,in a subdued way in the back ground & doe's not over power in any way.If I had to smoke only this,for rest of my day's "I wouldn't be upset" It lights up easily without fuss,rubbed out or just folded.It's a great all day or anytime smoke.It has never caused tongue bite to me.It's a beautiful clean smoke without any goop!This is a truly Superb Flake. In it's class-I'll give it 4 Out of 4 Star's.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)

I enjoy this one much more than its cousin twist flake. Maybe its just the addition of the perique, but I do not detect the overwhelmingly sweet caramel like taste that plagued me in twist flake. I have been smoking this one for quite some time, and when considering price and availability, I would rank this one as one of my favorite va/p flakes. This would also, IMHO, stand as a good introduction into the tobaccos of this genre. I enjoy this in the early to late afternoon before ending the day with the richness of a good english. This flake burns clean and dry with very few relights. Highly recommended.

A great tobacco. Mild yet flavoursome, with no bite and very agreeable and distinguished flavour. This flake is closer in flavour and structure to Orlik?s Golden Sliced, albeit there is no Burley here, than to other Virginian flakes (i.e., Dunhill?s Light Flake, Rattray?s Marlin Flake or any of Gawith?s varieties). It has a nice light brown colour, very well pressed, with a smooth and slightly piquant aroma. I personally could not detect any casing or toping: just plain, natural tobacco in a very subdued vein. Breaking up and packing are very simple. Lighting was also quite easy and it remains lit very nicely. Far from complex, the flavour is fresh, pure, and mild. Not much attention is required to smoke this one, so it becomes a very good reading, writing or listening companion. Instead of Burley, the light Virginias used in this flake are accompanied by a very discreet amount of Perique, just enough to give it more body and structure. As a result you get a very nice toasty taste, not at all overwhelming. Rather it has a very sober and subtle tang, which I find very elegant and pleasant. I have been smoking it for quite some time now in different settings, including the tropical region of Tehuantepec (near Oaxaca), where thermometers can reach a stifling 36°C. It never became tiresome, nor did it burn hot or showed any tongue biting proclivity. A Virginia flake smoker should give this one a try. It may not be the experience of a lifetime, but it will be an excellent smoke.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

This is a very pliable and thin 1.5" by 2.5" Virginia-Perique flake. It is available in bulk and it is fairly inexpensive. It's appearance is primarily light brown tobacco with quite a bit of birdseye. It is easily rolled, folded or rubbed out. I like to roughly roll it into a cylinder and place it rough end up into the bowl. The pouch aroma is that of a grassy Virginia with a slight topping. Rolled, it may take a few relights, but can burn without relights if rubbed out. The flavor is that of a sweet and grassy bright Virginia with the added tang of the Perique. The flavor remains consistent throughout most of the bowl. What is rare for me is that if I am careful, this will not bite. I have a problem with the bite of other Virginias. The room aroma appears to be pleasant. The bottom of the bowl picks up just a hint of added strength. It finishes with a whitish gray ash and sometimes, dependent on the pipe, a bit of a dottle. For its low price, decent taste, easy availability avoidance of bite, and reasonable burning characteristics, I think its worth trying.

saljs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
saljs (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

The best way to describe this tobacco is "toasty." It has a mild, natural sweetness and a certain mellow toasted grain flavor. To me, it lends a little more flavor than some other Virginias that require more concentration. I'm told the room note is like that of cigarettes, so nobody's going to be begging you to smoke it. It is hard to get this stuff to bite, and I'll often smoke some of this when I've been bitten by another tobacco and just want a mild, flavorful smoke.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Strong

This is about the only VA Flake that I truly enjoy smoking. I seem to get a huge case of tounge bite with almost all Va flakes, but this one treats me right, expecially once it has a couple of months worth of age on it. Love those sugar crystals!

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (40)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a much better deal than Dunhill's flake and OGS. And in my opinion, it tastes better. It packs nice and burns nice all the way down. Some say there is some perique in it, but not enough for me to notice.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (12)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have never had much luck rolling and stuffing flakes, so I always rub out any flakes.

This tobacco has some sort of a topping on it--it's relatively mild (definitely not to the level of an aromatic), fruity or honey-like. I do not expect that from a VaPer.

The topping goes away for me after the first third of a bowl. After that there's not much to this blend. Most times I think the blender must have passed a leaf of perique over these flakes and counted whatever dusted off as an ingredient. I just don't sense any perique.

After the topping burns off, the virginias are fairly pleasant and hay-like, but there just isn't much flavor to be had. Unless I saw the smoke I would assume my pipe needed a light.

The price of this blend is, as others have said, low. The presentation is excellent--it looks and smells very tasty in the box. This does not translate into the smoke, though.

Somewhat recommended. I'm sure someone looking for a very mild blend so they can say they've smoked a VaPer will be pleased with this.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: smoked upon arrival and after 2 yrs aging

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Perhaps a little bit too dry, but then pipe smoking is kind of going out of fashion, ahem, so loose in jars is a bit more hit and miss, but nonetheless a very serviceable flake of consistent quality but not exceptional.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An average plain tobacco. Didn?t thrill me. Dries the mouth and nose rapidly.

endubito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
endubito (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I don't know what the problem is. It made me sneeze and I threw it out. I'll come back to it later after I give up the Ryan perique cigarettes for good. Maybe then I'll be man enough for this minor straw/perique whiff.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

AUGUST 2008 UPDATE: Well, after a year and a half of aging, I popped (or, more accurately, strained and pried) open my heat and paraffin-sealed jar of this blend.

Time has mellowed it, but more as a matter of degree than metamorphisis. In the jar, it still does not evoke the deep, fermented VA sweetness of, say, McC 2015, but is robustly assertive in ways that suggest tomatoes and metal (think sun-dried tomatoes and the taste of keys, or a low-voltage battery on the tongue, if that makes any sense).

I'm smoking it well rubbed-out, and am finding it a reputable and economical -- even if not superlative -- example of a VaPer flake. It shifts and develops throughout the bowl, beginning with a the sour brightness of cut grass, before settling into broader mid-tones that intermittently suggest yeast and toasty figs. The perique tickle is there throughout and -- although it has been friendly to me -- hints that modest sipping is advisable. Toward the end there are insistent murmurs of a sour mash tang, punctuated by momentary flashes of Eggo waffle left in the toaster a bit too long.

All in all, it credibly (though temporarily) fits the "non-latakia" niche in my home rotation, even if it doesn't threaten to supplant any of my beloved English and Balkan blends. As something "different" it fits the bill just fine. If you're a VaPer afficianado, you may want to buy, age, and try some for the experience, particularly given the bulk price. It has earned my respect, but not my raves. I would enjoy it more if it were sweeter. Still two stars.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: In my experience so far, this is a very temperamental tobacco, or else of uneven production quality. My first couple bowls (a sample from a friend) were fantastic: Sweet, grassy, and complex. A revelatory break from my usual rotation of English blends.

Based on that experience, I purchased my own stash, but have since not been able to wring more than a mediocre smoke out of it. Sadly it has been flat, one-dimensional, and ashy tasting during the last half of the bowl. I've jarred it up, and hope that it will blossom with several months on the shelf, into something more like the bewitching flakes I first encountered.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I opened a jar of this that I put up in 11/05 hoping that I would have a better experience than the first couple of bowls I tried. Some have mentioned variability in the blend, and I think I've got one of those. There is no perique on the palate, nor is there any visible in the flakes. Mild, bitey if rushed (noticeable during the charring light and after). Definitely with that grassy taste, an inoffensive aroma, not much else. I've not had much luck with the PS blends except for Bullseye. May have to try the twist.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I wasn't too hung up on this one; it was easy to keep lit, but the flavor just didn't seem to really shine in my sample. I think if I want a virginia flake, I'll stick to the McClellands or something like that. It's certainly not bad, but it did bite quite badly, and, well, I just didn't taste anything to get too excited over.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Navy Flake is no premiere grand cru of a good vintage: it is that other pleasure, a vin de table of very good quality, which can be drunk with pleasure at any time.

My purchase arrived with the flakes broken in the post, ready for filling. It has a slightly sweet biscuit-like flavour which is pleasing without cloying. Reminiscent of Mac Baren`s Virginia Flake, in appearance, texture and taste, which too I enjoy.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

I just wasn't terribly happy with this blend. It has decent flavor, but is quite bitey and lacks the smoothness I prefer in my blends. There are other navy flakes out there, and I'd probably point you in their direction.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Another one for the Danish set. The flakes are very similar in appearance to offerings by Orlick and ACPetersen, but that's where the similarities end. Tingly upon lightup, especially when blown through the nose, promising. Sadly, the flavor is MIA as are any other points of interest. Frankly, I fail to see why this warrants the attention it has received. If I am given a sample to smoke I'll do so, but I cannot see purchasing this flake at any time. Perfect for the Macbaren lover...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This was one of the first Va/Perique tobaccos I tried.

The sweetness of the Va is apparent while it mingles with the Perique, though the Perique dominated the show. As a pleasant surprise, I didn't get bitten - I expected to becuse of the Va.

On the whole, I guess it was just a bit too mild of a flavor for me. I tried DGT to see if that would get me more. It changed a bit, but not for the better. The tobacco just left me wanting something.

=UPDATE= Having recently read some of the reviews here, and having stumbled across a fresh tin of LNF, I decided to try it again.

When I first tried it, there was a full Perique flavor. That was an aged sample from a friend. The new stuff had virtually no Perique, and also had very little Va flavor. Maybe aging makes the difference with this blend, or maybe the product has actually been changed. I don't know which, but I do know that it has moved into the "Not my cup of tea" range.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Navy Flake.July 2004.

WHERE IS THE PERIQUE???????

I have alway's loved LNF,in the past! But,in the last two lot's of 100 gram's and 50 gram's,I can-not detect the Perique at all. 'What' has happened? I live in Australia just outside Melbourne. The two tobacconist's I alway's purchase LNF from have shown the same result.'No Perique' Friend's in Sydney and Adelaide have noticed the same thing.Once again 'No Perique' The Virginia is just to mild to be enjoyed,on it's own.

Sadly,here's a down-grade to 4 out of 10.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is the lightest VA/P I have ever tried. Even Stratford seems like a heavyweight next to this. The tobacco used here is of good quality, the problem is that it has very little taste. The smoke seemed insubstantial, and I wasn't sure if I was getting steam or something else. The flakes are visually stunning and have quite a bit of birds eye. Alas, this is the only good thing about it. Maybe age will help.