Notes: From Peretti's website: This formula was developed by Mr. Peretti relatively early in his career and then reintroduced to commemorate our 125th anniversary. This broken flake is dark and rustic in appearance and provides a full-bodied smoke. Instead of the sweetness of a Virginia, the flavor notes are instead the earthy nuttiness of burley.

BrandPeretti
2.7
Gloucesterman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gloucesterman (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have the good fortune of living within a fifteen minute drive of Peretti’s and over the years have tried many of their offerings. I must confess that my preference is toward the English type blends but there are those nights when a simple straight forward blend is just what the moment calls for. On those evenings burley slices hits the spot. I keep a half pound stored in a humidified, air tight, glass jar and since I don’t smoke it regularly it will usually last quite some time. I find this tobacco improves greatly with ageing. The sourness decreases decidedly so you get more of that burley nuttiness. As an English smoker it isn’t what you think of as a complex blend but burley slices produces a very consistent and delightful smoke throughout the bowl. Like many flakes, if you get aggressive you can heat up the bowl quickly so it’s a smoke to be savored slowly but it will respond well to slow deliberate draws and not require constant relighting. I don’t think this blend is the equal of Solani’s Age Burley but it is still quite good and as I said given a little time to age in the jar is a wonderful smoke on those nights when you just feel like a burley. What makes me keep this blend in my rotation is that the price point is so attractive. Peretti’s will sell you an once or a pound and at a lot less that you will pay for similar blends. That means you can afford to jar a half pound and have it handy for those nights when you really want to enjoy a true uncomplicated burley. It’s a perfect complement to a tumbler of Honey Jack on a cold New England winter’s night. When aged I give this blend a 3 star rating. Fresh out of the can a little less. I certainly think it a great addition to your rotation.

Pipe Used: GBD 9438 (pre- Conoy merger)

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs.

Purchased From: Peretti

The slices are really broken flake, but it doesn't matter to me because it makes for easier burning. It has a nice cocoa flavor with a little nutty earthiness, though it's less sweeter than commercial burley blends normally are. It's more sour, too, which some may find off putting. Part of the reason for the sourness is that some of the burley here is obviously uncased. There's no discernible topping, just pure burley flavor. If you are used to sweeter products like Solani Aged Burley Flake or Wessex Burley Slices, you may find the sourness, and lack of topping to come across as slightly harsh, especially at the finish. But, if you want to smoke a quality burley with a minimal casing that's closer to a purer burley than you may be used to, you might want to give this a try. More of a two and a half star, but not quite three stars for me, so I'm rating it as a two star blend.

Darkish brown "broken" broken flake - kind of spiky in appearance. Huge sour note along with the usual burley cocoa scent. Underneath that was a rich pure tobacco aroma.

This tasted a lot like Uhle's Blend 00 to me, but only in its base. There was that very lightly sweet topping that just barely kept this from "pure" territory, with a sour backdrop. The sourness retreated when further dried but it was always there. Almost a Virginia tang between that and the sweetness. At first I suspected a bit of Kentucky in the mix but I couldn't always find it, so it was probably my imagination. The typical burley nuttiness was diminished but the cocoa aspect was in evidence with each puff. Not as much so as with, say, Watch City's Deluxe Crumb Cut but the intent of this one was to be more natural, I think. Bottom line is that this was almost the equal of the Uhle's but not quite. A little drier and it might be right there, but I didn't have enough to experiment with. But this was a very good burley, a bit different than the norm, and well worth a try. 3.5 stars, rounded down only because I prefer the Uhle's by a small margin.