Blended ByCarl McCallister
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Strength
Taste

3.4

A medium English with the smokey Cyprian latakia taking the lead. The Virginia is a grassy, mildly sweet back up to the lightly nutty, lightly sweet burleys, while the perique provides a very minor spice note. There’s also a buttery, sour woodsy, musty flavor from the Smyrna which is obvious in nearly every puff. The sweetness in the mixture is less than I’ve indicated as there’s some dryness to the smoke. It has enough complexity to keep your interest and enough strength to satisfy your craving for blends in this genre.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (116)

This is a Lat and Orientals forward medium English of wonderful balance and clarity. It is complex without being muddied and the component tobaccos can be singled out while still forming a harmonious whole. There isn't a harsh note anywhere in this baccy; it is as smooth as silk.

The piquant and spicy Orientals, the pine and tar smoke Lat, form the core of this smoke. The Virginias are sweet and delicate. At the halfway mark the Perique asserts itself with a bracing pepperiness and prevents the smoke falling into a fug, giving it life and energy.

Big and bright enough for anytime of day, but deserving of a special time and place. It really is very good. Goes beautifully with Turkish coffee.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I liked this, what I would refer to as, an American English blend. It is a mild and tasty blend. The latakia is there, but in light enough in quantity to allow the burleys and the Virginias to do their thing providing a nutty sweetness to the blend. It would not surprise if there is a light topping in this one, but it is just enough to add to the sweetness. It just seems that it would take more than the tobaccos to bring it to that level of sweetness.

Don't get me wrong though. This is not an aromatic. The sweetness to me is more a sugar sweetness that seems to amplify the nuttiness of the burleys. I did not even know that this blend contained perique until I read the contents before writing this review, so I did not even feel its presence or the spice that it delivers.

I am sure it is in there contributing to the overall flavor in its own way, which has had a positive impact on me as I did enjoy this one. Much better to my tastes than Man's Best Friend and R Blend. Two Sutliffe blends of the same genre that I did not care for at all. So I recommend this to those wanting a little latakia in their blends that don't want to be blown away with complexity.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Lord of the Manor by Sutliff Tobacco Company

A Complex Mixture of Latakia, Burley, Virginia, Perique and Oriental Tobaccos

Tin Notes: Mainly a ribbon/ loose cut tobacco leaf, Good Colors Nice leaf selections and Good Moisture Content The Aroma is Rich and Full with a somewhat earthy and pungent smell.

The Burn: This tobacco blend is easy to manage and burns good right out of a newly opened tin. Nice earthy smokey flavors and slightly grassy notes with a little sweetness - what more can you ask for.

I think Sutliff Tobacco Company is doing better on the quality of their blends and this is another new blend that everyone should try. Another blend of tobacco that smokes good and tastes great from a newly opened tin which in my opinion is how tobacco should be. I Expect that this tobacco blend would age nicely and would make a great addition to anyone's cellar

My 5 Star Rating = 4 out of 5

recommended for those who like a light to medium english style tobacco blend

Pipe Used: briar, corn, pipestone

Purchased From: sutliff

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (33)

I received a tin of LOM as a gift from a collegiate pipe smokers club after I crashed one of their meetings one night. As I type I am smoking the last of that tin. This stuff is great. Upon opening the tin you get oriental and latakia fragrance that makes your mouth water. You get the entire spectrum of color, a little yellow and tan Virginia, the deep browns of the burley, and the blackness of the smoked leaf. Moisture is perfect and your bowl will burn to white ash with one match. Flavor is orientals and latakia with Virginia in the background. Very little burley nut and no perique to my unsophisticated palette. Smokes pretty cool but if pushed may bite, I didn't get a bite from it but didn't push it either. This may be my favorite English blend but I would have to take the Pepsi challenge with London Mixture to be certain. Nonetheless, a top notch smoke and worth every penny.

Pipe Used: maggiore briar

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (66)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Aaand this is the first 2 star review of this tobacco.

Great moisture straight out of a fresh tin. Mostly even cut of brown and black with some specks of light brown. Packs evenly and lights just as easily.

I get some kind of a vanilla or potentially rum topping on the first couple of puffs. After the first 10 or so puffs it fades to the back and I get mostly latakia, supported by a tangy oriental mostly. The burley is very thin and so is the VA. Perique is almost non-existent unless you are retrohaling.

And that's how it smokes down to the bottom of the bowl with a bit of dottle but not gunky at all. Freshly opened I got a lot of that sour and bitterly creamy turkish. After sitting int he jar for about 6 months and coming back to it, the levels have evened out a bit and it's a tad more enjoyable.

A very mild English but reminds me a fuller version of their Revelation Match. It's complex but most of the flavor profiles are so thin it's hard to catch them. I don't know if it's the quality of the leaf or the amounts that were used but I find it to be too mild with nothing taking the forefront. Latakia by default.

Maybe a nice introduction to English for beginners but not really for me.

Pipe Used: briars, mortas, cobs and meers

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Revelation Match.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (52)

My favorite English blend so far. I really like the oriental/burley/Virginia/Latakia combo. It is an easy to handle tobacco that packs very well in nearly every sized bowl. I love this stuff with coffee on cold mornings. The Latakia is definitely prominent, but it is followed by the sweetness of the Virginias and floral notes provided by the orientals. The nuttiness of the burley seems present throughout the entire bowl, which I absolutely love. If I could buy this stuff in bulk, I definitely would. The closest thing that I have found is Newminster English Oriental, which lacks a bit in Latakia and nuttiness (it doesn't incorporate burley into the mix, but this could probably be fixed with the addition of a burley to the mixture). This is a great smoke. If you enjoy medium English blends with some complexity, I highly recommend that you give this one a shot. I find myself reaching for it more and more as the days get colder.

Pipe Used: Peterson 999, Kaywoodie, LHS Purex, Sasieni

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged 3+ months

Purchased From: Tobaccotown, Beaver, WV

Similar Blends: Newminster English Oriental.