Before Captain Ahab threw his pipe over the side of the Pequod, he smoked this dark rich English flake of 60% Latakia balanced out with Turkish, White Burley, stoved Cavendish, Red Virginia and Perique. A beautiful sliced tobacco for those whose white whale is Latakia!

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full, Full
3.7

I know I have said this on most of my posts on Watch City, but how many pipe shops still design their own flakes and cakes? Ahab’s is a winner. For me it needed no dry time, it didn’t turn to dust like many Latakia heavy flakes can sometimes do, and this is one Latakia heavy flake. Ahab’s is a thick flake, almost like a thin crumble cake. It can be broken or rubbed out, but it doesn’t lend itself to folding and stuffing. Ahab’s burns cool, with a lot of flavor. Although there isn’t a ton of complexity, Ahab’s allows the component tobaccos to make them known without the Latakia overpowering the smoke. I don’t detect any topping and if there is one, it is extremely light. If you are a Lat fan and/or a Lat flake fan, Ahab’s is one of the better ones out there. As a point of reference, I enjoy it more than Ten Russians and Pirate Kake (both blends that I enjoy) and is not quite up to par with my newest Lat flake, “Latakia Flake” by Mac Baren. Congrats to Ernie at Watch City on a great tobacco!

Purchased From: www.watchcitycigar.com

dolomite128 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dolomite128 (2)

Excellent blend and was pleasantly surprise to hear from Ernie Q that he had a new Latakia flake. According to the blender this has roughly 40% Cyprian Latakia in it. Delivers a nice gentle smokiness which reminds me of a more rounded out / aged Esoterica Penzance. Not saying it's identical but has similar characteristics. The Krumble Kake format is always fun to smoke and offers the chance to keep it chunky or rub it out all the way. My samples were only slightly rubbed out and kept lit all the way down the bowl. Offers sweet Latakia / Virginia / Burley smoke that is well balanced and leaving this tester wanting more. This is my first review of many to come but happen to enjoy this style of tobacco quite a bit. If you enjoy the richer, slightly sweet latakia blends (Bengal Slices?!? - not the aromatic version) then give this a whirl. Excellent!

Pipe Used: Ashton LX Billiard

Age When Smoked: n/a

Purchased From: Watch City Cigars

Similar Blends: Penzance, Pirate Kake.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautiful mottled flake/cake with the heady aroma of latakia in the bag. I smelled nothing else. As SteelCowboy stated, this is a cross between a thick flake and a thin crumble cake, and breaks apart pretty much on its own. I finally decided that a very thin rub worked best, leaving something somewhat smaller than a broken flake and I stacked the load into thirds.

As with the Mac Baren Latakia Flake I just smoked, this falls a bit short of ideal for me. But I hasten to add that I'm simply not a heavy lat guy as a rule, preferring that condiment to be added... well... condimentally. But as a heavy lat, this is a winner. It lacks the spicy characteristic of the Mac B, which lacked the gorgeous body of this one. This actually TASTED thick, if that makes any sense. It's more of a mouthfeel, of course, but this was like a stew. Lots of component pieces that created a rich flavor, if somewhat monotone. I didn't get a lot of the oriental flavor and almost no perique, but the latakia and kentucky showed themselves quite prominently. What I liked most about this one is that it didn't taste "dirty" like so many lat bombs do (this claims to be 60% latakia but I'm guessing closer to 40%). Very often this is the case for me when blends add to many component tobaccos. But not here. This one was focused, deep and tasty. Just not my personal thing. But if you enjoy lat bombs, wait no longer. Ernie Q just nailed it.