C’est La Vie means “It's the life!”, and this smooth and satisfying, richly aromatic blend will definitely bring your taste buds to life. Made mostly of the finest flue-cured tobaccos, it is gently pressed and cut in the traditional cavendish method. This process infuses the leaf with a richly sweet and creamy note of French vanilla flavor. Even though the enrapturing aroma will fill the room, the taste is remarkably subtle, and it’s wonderfully easy on the tongue. Take yourself on an intriguing Parisian vacation with the goodness of C’est La Vie.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.1
Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (23)

I found this tobacco blend to be a mild aromatic that produces a pleasant room note. I often take this blend on long walks. This particular blend, like the other Scandinavian Tobacco Group offerings, will not blow you away but does provide an enjoyable experience. I was not overwhelmed by the vanilla flavoring; for me, the topping added enough taste to make the intended point without being overly sweet, like for instance some examples of Cherry Cavendish often are.

Snow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snow (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I regret being so harsh on this tobacco in my ratings, but I was frankly surprised with how flat it fell for me. I consider myself sensitive to taste and able to notice even the slightest hint of anything, and while I do enjoy full-bodied tobaccos, I like to think that I can appreciate mild aromatics. Not so with this particular blend and this particular batch.

I tasted nothing. It was like smoking air for forty-five minutes. It burned fast but not hot, and stayed very smokey in the bowl, the rising curls burning my eyes and nose unprovoked and consistently. I was astonished with how airy and flavorless this tobacco really was to me, as the pouch promised much and the smell of the raw tobacco seemed like it might deliver something distinct. I particularly enjoy the draw of the first-light, the first impression. On this one I tasted more from the matches, and I mean that.

After some point it became a job to smoke, but I had to see if the end of the bowl proved more flavorful and powerful. It really didn't. As a consequence I drew often and smoked like a chimney to extract some flavor without success.

On the bright side it doesn't bite, it's forgiving in that it stays lit, buns evenly and doesn't burn hot. You can smoke it fast and it wont cook your pipe or you. The relaxing and soothing slow onset of nicotine sort of arrived near the end, but it was transient and not very memorable. If I had been smoking to unwind, I'd of left only the slightest bit unwound. Its emptiness was distracting.

I'll say this: If I was starting on pipe tobacco, I'd of liked it. It's non-threatening, can't be overwhelming, it was easy to work with, packed easy and lighted evenly and quickly, throwing up plumes while idle, easy to stir up without ruining the smoke if tamped too hard--which I did, trying to get as much out of it as I could. It's a very polite tobacco in that respect, non-invasive or surprising, but barely there; which has its place I suppose. It's user friendly if you don't want to keep the pipe in your teeth. I'll be using it as a mixer to relax some other bolder or more finicky flake tobaccos, and I have confidence in it for that role if applied correctly.

As a stand alone pipe tobacco to even an occasional smoker, I wouldn't recommend it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (57)

This tobacco was a pleasant surprise for me though it took about a half of a pouch to get to know it well. At first this mixture seemed bland but after several bowls the aromatic qualities began to work on me. CLV is moist in the pouch but I didn't dry it. The cherry stays lit with a charring light then another spark. Consistent throughout the bowl with a toasted marshmallow rather than a French vanilla taste and aroma. Flavors are subtle but noticeable, CLV won't knock anybody's socks off but will deliver a good pipe while mowing lawn or feeding the chickens or some such.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pandc

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gave this tobacco a really honest try. Multiple bowls in multiple pipes at multiple paces and under multiple conditions. I read the reviews here and expected more than I found.

C'est la Vie just has nothing to offer in a world of very good tobacco at a reasonable price. I put this one in the category of "you get what you pay for."

It lights well, stays lit, smells nice in the room but just has no flavor at all to me. I just couldn't find a way to smoke it that wasn't plain old boring.

Pipe Used: Multiple Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars . com

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (26)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Flavor so subtle you might not even notice it at all. Packed well, lit well, and even smoked well; just don't expect an over the top vanilla experience as one might think by reading the pouch description.

Straight from the pouch my fingers were left a little sticky so you might want to dry a bit although I didn't. The pouch note to me is rather light as well; at least after being open for a few minutes. Mine was not rubbed out all the way. There were long pieces still pressed together; no bother though. Hence the stickiness.

I received this as part of a large sampler and probably wouldn't have ordered it as a standalone selection. Overall not too terribly impressed or put off for that matter. 3/4 of the way through and after puffing rather stoutly I can feel no bite to my tongue.

In conclusion, I can't really say too much to fault this for the simplicity it offers. This first bowl has been mildly pleasurable but not to the point of having an epiphany moment.

Although I wouldn't rush to order another pouch, if it came as part of another set I wouldn't necessarily throw it out. No real vanilla flavor, French or otherwise, detected by this first burning. Smooth for the most part, A bit one sided if not a tad boring; but have had much worse.

Pipe Used: Bruyere Garantie

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

WOW,, This is seriously under-rated here guys,, I mean Darn,, this is one of the best tobacco's I have ever smoked and there's a lot of "pouch-envy" here. In that,, I mean pouch tobaccos are often under-rated because they are cheap and widely available. A form of subconscious economic discrimination,, LOL,,, :(

Anyhoo,, the review,, great room note great light VA/Burley character. Smells heavenly in the pouch as well. Burns evenly and with little moisture, NO BITE,,!! and is just plain enjoyable to smoke. Vanilla? I think it would have been better not to declare a "flavoring" here just leave that out of the name and see what the imagination would bring out in folks. Lots of negativity is instantly inspired in some pipesters when any aromatic (vanilla etc.) is mentioned,,

For me, this is one of my all time favorites, and I have smoked through the pouch faster than any tobacco I have ever tried (save one) in my 30+ years of pipe smoking.

English smokers? Why bother trying something you've already decided you'll hate before smoking it? Have your NightCap and be happy no need to buy this one.

Aromatic lovers? Mild VA and burley fans? Apply here.. I'll certainly be ordering more of this,, It's a winner and a pal for me and my pipe... :)

Good Draw to You,, Cheers,,,

Glorfindel.....................>>>>>>

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2016 (Pot style)

Age When Smoked: New Pouch

Similar Blends: Erin Go Bragh, Light Burley's, Light VA's,, slight flavoring.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (79)

I picked this up for $2 a pouch because I liked the cigars. I was suprised how closley they resemble the cigars. It has a pleasant tobacco with just a touch of vanilla, barely detectable. Not your run of the mill cavendish blend. Like the cigar, it won't win any awards, but it is a great value smoke

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Cigars International

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (85)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a decent smoke. It isn't bad, it isn't mind-blowing. It packs well, smokes cool, and tastes decent. I have yet to taste any vanilla in it though. It's a good tobacco to keep in the car or in the workshop, but it certainly isn't anything I'd keep in my rotation on purpose.

Pipe Used: MM cob, various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh, aged 3 months

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)

This blend is completely inoffensive... which means that it's also somewhat without character in my opinion. It's mild with a pleasant room note so long as it's smoked slow and cool. And vigorous puffing will quickly cause that vanilla topping to scorch and become acrid. This is also packed VERY wet so definitely needs some dry-down time.

Husky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Husky (1)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Not a bad smoke, especially for a pouch. The Vanilla note is certainly more prevalent when taking a whiff from the pouch; once smoked it does take a discerning palate to pick up the vanilla. Furthermore, if, like me, you smoke aromatics more to abide the wife than because you personally derive satisfaction from the room note, there are stronger, better vanilla tobaccos (eg. Mac Baren Vanilla Cream). However, the folks saying that they flatly could not discern the Vanilla probably have less than 6 months smoking experience or are just plain uneducated in the art of connoseurial pipe smoking. Compare this to the rest of the Euro pack it came with (John Bull - an English - and Erin Go Brough - an Irish Whiskey aromatic) and there is no doubt about the mild Vanilla flavoring. That said, the vanilla is clearly more a casing than a proper Cavendish; compare to David's Midnight and this will be readily apparent to even a mildly experienced piper. All in all, it's a relaxing blend and certainly not a bad introduction to aromatics. Stays lit; burns cool; and even though it is very moist in the pouch, it really does not require drying...just don't puff away on it incessantly or you'll basically burn off all the casing and be left with an unfortunate blend of blandness and some tongue bite. Is this a 5-star, classy blend for smoking when you get to meet President Trump? No. But it's a nice, semi-sophisticated blend and all francophiles will enjoy it with a cup of French Roast in the morning. If you're looking to please the wife/family/etc or come off as a sophisticant in front of the bossman at the company BBQ, go for something a touch pricier (again, MacBaren jumps to mind, but regular Sutliff Vanilla will strike a similar chord on less $$) and search for an emphasis on cream or custard. You can definitely tell the difference. All-in-all, this is a solid 3 star smoke with a very mild Nicotine level; great for novice-intermediate aromatic pipers. Head and shoulders better than Super Value Vanilla, for example.

Pipe Used: Sir Galahad (Briar)

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch; no drying

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Super Value Vanilla; Sutliff Vanilla; Captain Black Royal.

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (25)
Mild Medium Medium Unnoticeable

Napalm in a pouch. This stuff burns like Hades, and bites like a pit bull on gunpowder. The tobacco is exceedingly poor with a wretched, acrid flavor. It is topped with a sugar or PG laden topping that smells pleasant enough in the pouch but quickly flashes off with an extreme volatility that produces a vicious bite.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Royalton Bent Bulldog

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Buffalo chips.

Raizel_234 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raizel_234 (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff came as part of a 3 pouch sampler from pipesandcigars. It's not a bad tobacco in its own right, but neither is it great. It's a vanilla arromatic, a genre that has been beating a dead horse for years now. And that is t the problem here, it's just another face in the crowd.

Edit: I figured out the secret to this stuff! Let it dry a lot bit and it's a good solid arromatic blend! Mild and sweet to the bottom of the bowl with the vanilla flavor present all the way as well!

Pipe Used: Cobs and one Edwards briar

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (48)

Exciting as finding a $5 bill in a winter jacket... There nothing really exciting about this tobacco nor is there anything really horrible about it either. "A good tobacco for a yard pipe or an outside rainy day smoke break where you may have to dump half a bowl." Not a tobacco i would go out of my way to buy nor would I be offended if received as a gift. 2 1/2 stars

Pipe Used: Brebbia Gala 986

Purchased From: P/C online

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is an interesting blend , in that it could appeal to certain folks for certain reasons and be shunned by others for other reasons . This blend is a cavendish of good quality . The flavoring is super mild and not anywhere near up front . It tastes like tobacco thats been steamed with very little added flavoring , no doubt . Here's what appealing .. it wont bite and it lights and stays lit well . The room note is pleasent enough but not in an aromatic way so much . It's an easy straight forward type blend that doesnt distract and there are times thats a damn good thing . It's an easy " all dayer " if ever there was one . Here's what some wont like . It's mild flavor and aroma , along with it's uncomplicated flavor throughout the bowl , will be reason for folks to get bored with it if theyre looking to be " wowed " , and that would be understandable Taking this blend for what it is and when an easy straight forward mild blend would be appealing .. it's a good blend . It's appeal is for it's lack of bite and mildness

Pipe Used: Grabow Bulldog and Dunhill Innertube Billard

Similar Blends: PS Dutch Cavendish.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Smoking C'est La Vie is like living the life. Literally, they named this blend C'est La Vie (That's Life) just to prove how meaningless and tasteless the life is. Not Recommended.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)

Didn't find anything unique or enjoyable in smoking this blend. The aroma was not attractive upon opening the pouch, nor can I say it was deficient in any way. The flavor didn't really pull through for me on this one. The tobacco was coarse cut, and seemed that way in the smoke too. It just wasn't a smooth tasteful smoke. It failed on the aro side and the tobacco side for me. With some you hit a home run, some fall short, and some fall somewhere in between - C'est LA Vie. ...

Pipe Used: Rossi, Red Point, La Strada

Age When Smoked: new, 6 mos, 1 yr

Tony Bokor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony Bokor (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I obtained a pouch of C'est La Vie out of a sampler pack from P&C. It smelled slightly of vanilla and mild tobacco in the pouch. The room was mild and the smoke was mild as well, and most notably, did not bite. There is a taste of vanilla and maybe a slight fruit taste as well. But, it had just a taste and smell of vanilla, which did not overpower the tobacco. The pipe went out a few times and had to be relit, but that is too be expected as the tobacco was fresh out of the pouch. One big plus to this blend was there was no persistent aftertaste following smoking. I tend to enjoy cherry tobaccos and mild tobaccos it seems. Therefore, I really like this blend and plan to buy more.