C’est La Vie means “That’s life!”, and this smooth and satisfying, richly aromatic blend will definitely bring your taste buds to life. Made mostly of the finest flue-cured tobaccos, it is gently pressed and cut in the traditional Cavendish method. This process infuses the leaf with a richly sweet and creamy note of French vanilla flavor. Even though the enrapturing aroma will fill the room, the taste is remarkably subtle, and it’s wonderfully easy on the tongue. Take yourself on an intriguing Parisian vacation with the goodness of C’est La Vie.

BrandC'est La Vie
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging1.5 oz. Pouch
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
2.3
Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (16)

I found this tobacco blend to be a mild aromatic that produces a pleasant room note. I often take this blend on long walks. This particular blend, like the other Scandinavian Tobacco Group offerings, will not blow you away but does provide an enjoyable experience. I was not overwhelmed by the vanilla flavoring; for me, the topping added enough taste to make the intended point without being overly sweet, like for instance some examples of Cherry Cavendish often are.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (33)

This tobacco was a pleasant surprise for me though it took about a half of a pouch to get to know it well. At first this mixture seemed bland but after several bowls the aromatic qualities began to work on me. CLV is moist in the pouch but I didn't dry it. The cherry stays lit with a charring light then another spark. Consistent throughout the bowl with a toasted marshmallow rather than a French vanilla taste and aroma. Flavors are subtle but noticeable, CLV won't knock anybody's socks off but will deliver a good pipe while mowing lawn or feeding the chickens or some such.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pandc

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (28)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gave this tobacco a really honest try. Multiple bowls in multiple pipes at multiple paces and under multiple conditions. I read the reviews here and expected more than I found.

C'est la Vie just has nothing to offer in a world of very good tobacco at a reasonable price. I put this one in the category of "you get what you pay for."

It lights well, stays lit, smells nice in the room but just has no flavor at all to me. I just couldn't find a way to smoke it that wasn't plain old boring.

Pipe Used: Multiple Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars . com

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (24)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Flavor so subtle you might not even notice it at all. Packed well, lit well, and even smoked well; just don't expect an over the top vanilla experience as one might think by reading the pouch description.

Straight from the pouch my fingers were left a little sticky so you might want to dry a bit although I didn't. The pouch note to me is rather light as well; at least after being open for a few minutes. Mine was not rubbed out all the way. There were long pieces still pressed together; no bother though. Hence the stickiness.

I received this as part of a large sampler and probably wouldn't have ordered it as a standalone selection. Overall not too terribly impressed or put off for that matter. 3/4 of the way through and after puffing rather stoutly I can feel no bite to my tongue.

In conclusion, I can't really say too much to fault this for the simplicity it offers. This first bowl has been mildly pleasurable but not to the point of having an epiphany moment.

Although I wouldn't rush to order another pouch, if it came as part of another set I wouldn't necessarily throw it out. No real vanilla flavor, French or otherwise, detected by this first burning. Smooth for the most part, A bit one sided if not a tad boring; but have had much worse.

Pipe Used: Bruyere Garantie

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Purchased From: P&C

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (52)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a decent smoke. It isn't bad, it isn't mind-blowing. It packs well, smokes cool, and tastes decent. I have yet to taste any vanilla in it though. It's a good tobacco to keep in the car or in the workshop, but it certainly isn't anything I'd keep in my rotation on purpose.

Pipe Used: MM cob, various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh, aged 3 months

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)

This blend is completely inoffensive... which means that it's also somewhat without character in my opinion. It's mild with a pleasant room note so long as it's smoked slow and cool. And vigorous puffing will quickly cause that vanilla topping to scorch and become acrid. This is also packed VERY wet so definitely needs some dry-down time.

Tony Bokor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony Bokor (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I obtained a pouch of C'est La Vie out of a sampler pack from P&C. It smelled slightly of vanilla and mild tobacco in the pouch. The room was mild and the smoke was mild as well, and most notably, did not bite. There is a taste of vanilla and maybe a slight fruit taste as well. But, it had just a taste and smell of vanilla, which did not overpower the tobacco. The pipe went out a few times and had to be relit, but that is too be expected as the tobacco was fresh out of the pouch. One big plus to this blend was there was no persistent aftertaste following smoking. I tend to enjoy cherry tobaccos and mild tobaccos it seems. Therefore, I really like this blend and plan to buy more.