Frog Morton formulated this exceptionally mellow blend, fragrant with Basma, smooth and rich with Latakia, for his evening at the opera. This is an elegant companion to the original, soft, full Latakia blend.

Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

Frog Morton on the Town was the first English style blend I loved when I first starting smoking a pipe back in 2011. The tobacco smells sweet, nutty and smoky in the tin. Generally it is too wet for me to smoke out of the tin so I dry it for a while before smoking. At first light its mild and I get a little nutty aftertaste from the Oriental tobacco. Frog on the Town is mildly smoky and very smooth. I find that it stays mild in strength throughout the smoke. The size of the bowl doesn’t matter as I like it in everything I have tried. I love the smell in the room when I am done smoking it. I have tried a lot of other blends, but this is my go to English smoke. I am looking forward to trying the other Frog blends.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

After clearing my palate with a roll and a bit of green tea I got out the tin of Frog OTT that I purchased a few weeks ago and popped it open. I was immediately met with a plesant smell that I perceived as sort of floral and citrus-like mixed with the familiar smell of latakia. This is interesting and not quite what I expected, but then again I'm not that familiar with oriental tobaccos. I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to topping and how much to the tobacco, but I suspect that at least some of it is topping.

After lighting up a bowl of OTT in my Savanelli churchwarden I experienced a cool rich smoke similar to that of Frog Morton, but with significantly less latakia and significantly more of something else, which I can't quite place. I want to say this something else tastes and smells almost like orange peel or something. This stuff is much sweeter than any other latakia blend I've tried. Like the plain old Frog I would sware that the smoke seems almost too cool and I'm tempted to say that there may be a touch of menthol or something in this, but if so then it's so cerefully measured that it doesn't effect the taste. This stuff appears to burn down to a clean gray ash, and for some reason (maybe I was just trying harder than usual to smoke cool) I found this going out more easily than the original Frog.

Perhaps I'm just a latakia nut, but I think I actually liked the original Frog better. This may grow on me though, and I have a feeling I'm going to be buying more than one tin of this in the future.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton on the Town is McClelland?s second addition to the Frog Morton pipe tobacco series. Although sharing similarities with the original Frog Morton blend, Frog Morton on the Town is distinctively different and is a welcome addition to McClelland?s Craftsbury Collection.

The aroma of Frog Morton on the Town is smoky yet quite sweet. This blend is certainly liter than the original Frog Morton and along with the added sweetness follows a somewhat peppery dimension in the background. The aroma of Frog Morton on the Town almost seems to be a sweetened version of the British Woods blend. This tobacco blend is a mixture of Matured Virginia, Cypian Latakia, Basma (mixture of various Grecian tobaccos), and other Turkish tobaccos. Half of this blend consists of black colors while most of the rest is brown with small amounts of added orange/yellow.

Frog Morton on the Town is dominated by a short velvety ribbon cut but is interspersed with small dark splinters of the matured Virginia flake. This pipe tobacco blend smokes well without any rubbing. Frog Morton on the Town packs well and arrives with a close to proper moisture content.

Frog Morton on the Town takes to the flame with no real hesitancy. For the most part, the burn is even and complete but does need the rare relight from time to time to finish the bowl. Although being quite similar in respects to the contents of the English type blends, Frog Morton on the Town?s room note is quite enjoyable and pleasingly fragrant.

The flavor of Frog Morton on the Town can be described as wonderfully creamy with the slightest amount of spice. This blend shares the similarity of having a woodsy, smoky/sweet taste with the original Frog Morton, but it is less rich and perhaps more complex. The Latakia, although present in a considerable amount, still allows for the sweet Virginia and sour Oriental tobaccos to create an interesting interplay. A slight topping adds to the sweetness of this tobacco blend. Frog Morton on the Town is very smooth, harmonious, gentle, and has little or no bite even when smoked with rapid draws. A thick white smoke follows each puff of this blend.

Frog Morton on the Town is well rounded, smooth and creamy, and has a slight degree of spice, which creates an interesting complexity. Frog Morton on the Town seems to share the beneficial characteristics of the original Frog Morton such as being a remarkably cool smoke but is a unique smoke in it own right. With all characteristics considered, this is a subtly sweet Latakia blend with an added touch of spice.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

FMOTT is a very nice English blend andI have enjoyed smoking it. Moisture level is good, high quality leaf, and a nice flavor. I would recommended it to anyone who likes a mild to medium English blend. However, I don't think that I'll buy it again. There is a sweetness and a topping that I don't really want in an English type tobacco. The topping is restrained, but I can't seem to get past the sweetness that is in the smoke. Don't misunderstand. It's a good tobacco with many positive qualities, which is why I give it three stars. Just not my cup of tea. There are so many other English blends that I like better and I like a bit more "nic kick" in my tobaccos. Don't let me dissuade anyone, but Frog on the Town's not for me.

Pipe Used: Peterson 105X

Age When Smoked: About a year

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson, MS

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very easy intro to an Oriental-forward Lat blend. If you want something to put hair on your chest, there are much stronger choices out there. But let's not mistake strength with quality. If you want a pleasant intro to this style, you can't go wrong with this one; a base similar to McClelland's very subtle Three Oaks Syrian with some wonderful orientals added in (someone mentioned Basma; I wonder if there isn't a hint of Drama in here too?) along with McLelland's unique virginias. A cool, spicy all-day smoke.

2014-03-30 Blended FMOTT with Three Oaks Syrian in a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio and let it sit for a week. Really good! Adds just enough spice to the Three Oaks to make it sing.

2014-04-27 Added a pinch of FM Across the Pond to the above blend and it's even better. Ratio is about 3:2:0.7 Three Oaks Syrian, OTT, ATP. Calling it "Tree Frog." :)

2014-05-15 Bought a tin of Samovar. Exactly what "Tree Frog" was aiming for and now #1 in my rotation. Still love On the Town though. (White Knight, Russ Oullette's latest, has joined Samovar in the #1 spot.)

Age When Smoked: < 1 year

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This isn't very complex, but there are a few flavors working together to give a pleasant, light English taste. The sweetness comes from the light vinegar and vanilla notes, as well as the Virginia. The latakia is kind of smokey, and benefits from the addition of the Turkish, which adds a little body to the blend. Smokes well after some drying time and is fairly consistent in taste. A nice change from the other entries in the Frog series.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

To start: FMOTT is NOT- it's NOT a Balkan, it does NOT have that smell typical of McC's ketchup, and it's NOT an aromatic....what it is.... FMOTT is a very well - blended, sweet and tasty English. It's the 2nd FM I have tried, better than Froggie when he was by my camp out here in da bayou-that fo tru:)

What it is....well, its is, a very well balanced, smooth, lighter than creamy, low level Vit N blend. It is forever slipping soft-sweet undertones of ....marshmallows type yumminess into the high quality well prepped baccy [English ] blend.

It's akin (literally) to McC's Legend-which employs Basma's sibling Drama to achieve a subtle earthiness. Basma is just plain sweet, but in FMOTT it's more of a turbinado sugar sweetness, a kind alternative to casings in that it comes across as what it is, a very sweet time-hybridized Va. It's to sweetness what Perique is to spiceness.

I'll try the rest of Froggies blends, even he Stave-based solely off the 4 star reviews. Then I will then decide if its a 4. FYI, this tin was nearing 3 years in the cellar, as I have finally learned the value of aging tins prior to smoking. Spot On McC, well done indeed!

Pipe Used: Mizz Meer, Savs, Stanwell Pot

Age When Smoked: 1 year

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend that a lot of people will be pleased with - a very light all day sort of thing.. with a mysterious and alluring flavor and aroma - almost incense like.. My personal take on it is that it is missing a solid core that i prefer in an english/oriental/or balkan.. though for what it is it is good.. I also do not care for the way it behaves in the bowl and it certainly leaves behind a lot to clean up and a substantial ghost.. it might be the casing or the basma but I find it annoying and it destroys what enjoyment i find in the subtle latakia and oriental flavor.. wheter enjoyed slowly or smoked faster you will invariably find a lot of moistness at the bottom.. I think a touch of virginia would have really made this blend shine for me.. and in fact i blended this with escudo once and got very interesting results - something close to night cap.. Anyway don't hesitate to try this pleasant tobacco you will probably not have my personal quibbles because there is a lot to like here..

edit.. this smokes great in a corn cob.. very mild pleasant smoke with a great room note.. I'm going up to 3 stars.. with no mess to worry about in the cob.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The reviews on this one are less enthusiastic, most of the contributors here seeming to favor Across the Pond or the original Frog Morton. I don?t understand why, because this one truly impressed me. My pipe-smoking buddy brought some by the other day and as soon as the match grazed the tobacco, it was love at first puff. This is by far the grandest offering of the Frog Morton line and easily one of the best tobaccos I?ve ever tried. Though I love Across the Pond, this is in a class by itself. This is the sort of complexity I was looking for in Nightcap, and since Dunhill represents my standard when it comes to English mixtures, On the Town gives them a run for their money and then some.

This is so unlike Across the Pond or anything I?ve ever tried from McClelland. It?s rich in Oriental, Basma specifically, which I had never experienced before. The Cyprian latakia takes on a more reserved tone than its Syrian sister. While I find the venerable Nightcap to be too full of tar and nicotine, On the Town is a truly more balanced, multi-dimensional blend. The tin aroma is nutty, spicy and fruity with hints of brandy, though my friend tells me there is no casing in this blend, the Orientals providing the sweet aroma. The room note and taste are wonderful. Characteristically McClelland, the cut is thick and generous, lighting easily and smoking grandly to the bottom of the bowl. Even the Don Giovanni operatic tin art with its charming old Londontown décor is the most fun of the Frog series.

This is a tobacco that can be smoked all day, and I plan on running out to my tobacconist as soon as possible to lay on a supply. This is one of my new favorites.

Five of five stars

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I will probably be one of the lone dissenting voices in this review. FMOTT is a wonderful, cool smoke. I just don't however think it lives up to it's older brother FM. This blend is more complex and closer to a proper english. The basma lends a very interesting note to the overall picture and the cavendish keeps the smoke very sweet. So why doesn't it get a higher rating? Because- the reason I was so taken with the original is because of its simplicity and richness. The quality of the latakia in the original frog stood by itself as a treat and allowed you to smoke a luxurious tobacco without having to think so much about it. By adding various orientals and trying to sophisticate this blend they have merely shoved it into a different category with blends like: My Mixture 965, Penzance, Caravan, and other complex latakia blends. In this category it gets walked all over by other better blended mixtures. Personally I will take the original Frog any day of the week and appreciate it for what it is, not add some more igredients to make it something it's not. The grass is not alway's greener on the other side.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (15)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Another McClelland tobacco -- another disappointment! Everything makes you want to love them: the tin art, the name, the list of ingredients. And then.... there is the infamous "ketchup" smell. The equivalent in the world of Single Malt Scotch would be the "FWP" issue with Bowmores distilled in the 80's... And of course there is also the fact -- related or not to the Ketchup stench, I am not sure -- that their tobaccos are positively drenched in propylene glycol. A chemical that keeps your tobacco moist -- even after being left to dry in the desert for 4 months. McCelleand tobaccos never dry out, no matter what. Odd. And not at all old-fashioned.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

There is no major faults with this blend but I think it lacks a little depth of flavor. FMOTT is simply not my cup of tee. But I can understand people who have it as one of their favorite blends. But I miss Lady Nicotine in FMOTT

Pipe Used: Pipes with slightly larger bowl´s

Norton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Norton (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't find anything bad to say about this blend. Delightful dance between a hint of aromatic in an English. If you want pureness of style you might not like this but.....just outstanding on the palate.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

light English strange flavor if you like McClelland English blends (I don't) check it out

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (19)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

A definate four star in my book. This has become my "go to tobacco." I prepack my pipes the night before and usually find FMotT to light right up and burn all the way through with no problem. I smoke it in a wide variety of pipes including briars, various cobs, CW's and taverns. I get no tongue bite from this tobacco but I have developed the habit of "sipping it" for it's excellent flavors which develop as I work my way throw the bowl. The sweetness of the Virginia, the complexity of the Latakia and the unusual smoothness of the Basma all combine to make this one delightful smoke. I highly recomend.

beeftip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beeftip (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I want to like this blend. It starts out great. But then it devolves into a one-dimensional flavor that is sort of sweet. The Oriental and Latakia flavors are still there, but they are so faint you can't detect them unless you're really concentrating. Kind of like trying to pick out the bass line in a Scandinavian death metal song.

Some have defined this dominating flavor as marshmallow or maybe some kind of chocolate. I suppose that is sort of what it tastes like. No matter, the point is that after the first couple of puffs, whatever that flavor is, it dominates. It is a very pleasant flavor, but it begins to "fatigue" my tastebuds about halfway through. Kind of like really rich food. After that fourth bite, you're done.

If you decide to give this a try, dedicate one pipe to it. I found out the hard way that FMOTT leaves a big fat ghost behind. Anything you smoke in that pipe will taste like FMOTT for about 5 or 6 bowls. I guess you should treat it like a heavily cased aromatic in that sense even though it is not.

No tongue bite. Stays lit. Stays moist in the tin.

This is a well-crafted blend and I can see where it would cultivate a following. I would recommend this to anyone who favors aromatics, likes the idea of Latakia, but doesn't like it in the typical doses that are prevalent in most blends. In that case, I think FMOTT would really knock that persons socks off because their sensitivity to Latakia's particular flavor would be high. They would be able to easily define the Latakia in the background and really appreciate it as a seasoning.

Update Taking away a star. FMOTT makes any pipe it's smoked in taste like FMOTT. I loaded up some Captain Earle Ten Russians in a Savinelli Poker that I had only smoked one bowl of FMOTT in. It made Ten Russians taste like FMOTT. Ten Russians is not supposed to taste like a toasted marshmallow!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Sorry, I just don't like aromatics. I know this one may not technically qualify as an aro but it has a significant flavoring component and it comes across as just plain boring to me. No single tobacco stands out favorably, the flavoring steals the show and it has no punch, no pizzaz, no personality. I like FM but this stuff ain't cuttin' it. Probably a good choice for those who want a mild smoke they don't have to pay attention to.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is the lightest of the Frog blends, it would serve well as an all day or early morning smoke. The Orientals are very subdued and the Latakia is just strong enough to make its earthy presence know. I much prefer the on the Bayou and across the pond, but this does hit the spot every once and a while. I think that I might have liked this one a bit more if I would have smoked it earlier in my English smoking tenure.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)

Man is this stuff boring. The original FM had enough latakia to tease me into finishing the tin, but this stuff is just bland, bland, bland. It's a one-note symphony of mellow, malty-flavoured, almost caramel-flavoured tobacco. If there's latakia here I sure can't taste it.

Does not satisfy me, and it's a struggle to finish the tin. Definitely will NOT be buying this again.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I won't bother trying to improve plus characteristics of this blend. It has great components, no doubt. For my tastes though, the topping is a bit too much. When smoking I'm in a rush for the flavoring to disappear because I find the topping detracting from the complexity tobaccos in the blend. Again, its really good stuff, no doubt high quality, but ... I sample from my stock infrequently because of that flavoring, as mild as it is ... while it ties the blend together, it tends to put me off.

Cheers, VC

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I opened the tin of frog on the town and I must say that it smell like the other ones I smoked meaning on the bayou and across the pond. the smell I can say is not my wifes good list and when burning I am not to impress with the smoke smell. On the other hand I think the rest is good like the mellow taste of the leaf and is mild. I would say that the Latakia oriental blend does make its presence known indeed.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

This is a full flavored tobacco. It was not what I expected. This is the perfect campire smoke or working on the ranch, but not an everyday smoke. It contains Latakia and I am not fond of that kind of tobacco.

NOTE: I have really had the desire to try an English blend again and may buy this one. The only problem is I am in Africa right now and it is much to hot to smoke English blends. I am not sure if it will be this one or another, but will definately update if I try this again. I will probably wait till it cools down in the fall.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Strong

This is the first tinned tobacco I've tried in a long time -- relying instead on my talented tobacconists in the Tampa Florida area, both at Edward's and at Smoke 'n' Snuff. But I find myself benighted amid yokels in the Jackson area now, and have always had this tobacco on my list of "must try" so, when I saw it in the corner of a little shop here, I thought I'd give it a whirl. The experience of plucking it out of the tin, smelling the aroma as the vacuum packing pops a bit when you open it, is really delightful. I liked that as much as anything. The picture on the tin is cute, too -- reminds me of that Warner Brothers singing frog, "Hello m' baby, hello m' honey, hello ... brrrraaappp ...".

Anyway, I like this blend well enough. It's strong in Orientals, but there's a kind of hidden "dung" flavor to it that stymies me -- extra perique? But I thought perique was the hallmark of Frog Morton on the Bayou, not Town. I love a good heavily Balkan English blend, but this goes a bit further. And, contrary to some reviewers, I find the "room note" to be really difficult for many of my friends. (I of course revel in it! heehee) It has a type of "rancid" secret odor underneath it.

Actually, I hesitate to say "dungy" or "rancid" since those seem pejorative. I don't mean to be so negative -- I'm ranking this as a top, or close-to-top, preference. Maybe "gamey" or "pongy" would be a better word?

Anyway, I like it a lot, and will feel confident buying it when I find myself out of earshot of a responsible or experienced blender in person.

-----

Additional notes: I find the room note getting stronger each time I smoke this stuff, to the point of utter intolerability (except of course by me). So I'm increasing from "strong" to "very strong" on that vote.

This is the more "civilized" brother in the Frog series and it is just as good. This is a lighter blend than the original Frog with the addition of basma to spice things up. I found this blend to be more complex even though it is lighter. It is one that is in my rotation and I find that for my chemistry, it tastes better from morning to just past noon. After that though, I prefer something a little fuller like the Frog or other blends of that nature. I found the moisture in my tin to be perfect and not quite as moist as the Frog. The color in the tin has a little more lighter leaf as well. Because of its complexity, I would still recommend the Frog first to a newcomer to latakia land.This blend is a little more sensitive to bowl size and seems to burn better in group 3-4 size bowls. And as the other McClellands, it burns all the way down the bowl with no fuss, maybe a pipe-cleaner once or twice for the excss moisture, but thats about it. Enjoy.... Update: 02-18-04 After trying many blends since this original review, I have to say that this blend is no longer in my rotation. Not that this blend is not good, on the contrary, it is good, but there are many better, including the original Frog which I prefer to this blend. Rating: 3 out of 5 Points

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'll provide the dissenting opinion about Frog Morton on the Town. There are two popular English blends that I have never liked and really don't understand their popularity. Frog Morton on the Town is one and Penzance is the other. This is a monochromatic blend. You get blasted by the latakia and there really isn't anything else there to support it.

I really like many of McClelland's other blends, on both the Virginia and English ends of the spectrum. I think they fell flat with this blend and I would recommend folks try some McClellands 2020 bulk blend instead.

fortezero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fortezero (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ahh, another incarnation of the bipedal Frog I love so much. I knew from the beginning that this one would be something -very- special. How? you ask. Well, As soon as I opened the tin, it was.. get this.. the proper moisture! No hours of drying, no blow-drying it, nothing of the sort! It was ready to smoke at a proper moisture right from the start! The tin aroma is delectable. You get a very clear whiff of the strong and undeniable presence of rich latakia (syrian, I believe), and the pepper-like attributes of oriental tobaccos. Packing is a breeze; small ribbon cuts gravity feed and tamp easily. No problems here. As the fire hits the top, a wispy, flavorless smoke hits the tongue. Panic! But no, just wait, it gets much better, and quickly. After the initial relight and tamp, I find that, on average, 2-3 relights are needed per bowl, and that is well in the range of "acceptable". For the first half of the bowl, the flavor is straightforward. The flavor is definately two different tobaccos, but it seems that they are almost separated in the smoke. You can easily tell the flavor of the orientals from the latakia. This all changes, however, as the bowl goes past the halfway mark. Transcendental is the word I'd use. The flavors mix in such a way that it makes me want to light a bowl of it up. Okay, there we go. Anyhow, it produces a rich, delicious smoke that is full of english-flavored goodness. I recommend this to anyone that is looking for a tobacco to smoke in the evening, or on a long stroll, or perhaps... On the Town!

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Since I very much enjoyed Frog Morton, I expected to like this blend as well. I did; in fact, immediately out of a freshly open tin, I liked it even more, since it was much drier then its counterpart. On popping the lid, I at once smell the Latakia, as with Frog Morton. The aroma for this tobacco, however, is far lighter than that of FM; unlike a freshly opened tin of Frog, the Latakia here is not overpowering. The appearance differs greatly, too. Frog On the Town is only about 50% black leaf; the rest is mixed dark and light browns, giving a much more varied look than the nearly all-black Frog. The tobacco also appears much drier, though still not dry by any stretch, and it isn't sticky to the touch like FM is. A medium cut, the tobacco packs and lights easily, and burns with perhaps slightly more than the average number of relights required. I selected a Stanwell poker for the initial try of this blend. For the first 1/3 of the bowl, I get the impression that this is a mellowed-out version of Frog Morton. The strong Latakia flavor is there, but not as overwhelming and forceful as with FM; I can taste other tobaccos as well, more so than I can in FM. On the other hand, this blend appears to be just as smooth and gentle as its big brother; I'm getting no hint of bite thus far. Moving on with the second third, the flavors are becoming slightly more complex. Latakia is still the biggest influence, but I'm getting a nice mix of other tobaccos as well. There's a bit of a spicy flavor, and I'm even getting hints of sweetness now and then. Still no bite, and no gurgling like I experienced with its wetter cousin. The flavor is perhaps not as rich and full as FM, but it is somewhat more complex and varied. Getting down to the last third of the bowl, and we're still bite-free! This is clearly related to FM, if for no other reason than its mellowness. The bottom of the bowl is somewhat richer in flavor, though still not as much so as FM. There is some moisture at the very bottom; I've never met a McClelland blend where that wasn't true. It isn't excessive, however, and I don't believe I'll need to leave this tin open to dry more. Overall, this is a very good Latakia blend. Not as rich and dark as Frog Morton, it nevertheless is very satisfying and is among the most bite-free of all tobaccos I've tried. The room odor is not as heavy, so I may prefer this to FM in mixed company, or anytime I want a good, mellow English without super-strong Latakia. Not having to dry it for two weeks helps, too. A very good blend!

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (31)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It's a good american oriental, personally I like it very much for its "eating" flavor. When I smoke it is like eating a dinner, it has a very fullfilling taste. Plus it has a good sweet flavoring that gives you a pleasant smoke, an all day tobacco

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried FM's Cellar and this blend, and I prefer the cellar. To me, this blend is a decent smoke and I do enjoy it, however the longer I have smoked pipe tobacco, the less my opinion has become of the FM's (Cellar used to be one of my very favorite blends). This is not to say that I don't reach for them from time to time, but whether I am right or wrong, when I do, I feel I am reaching for a significantly cased tobacco, like a cross-over between an uncased English and an aromatic. I could swear that all the FM's have a vanilla-plus-something-else casing (I've never heard anyone say this, just my pallet speaking). Again, I'm not saying this is bad, just not what I often find myself wanting as much now that my pallet is more used to less-cased tobacco (sorry if you disagree, this is just my two cents). And again, I still enjoy Frog Morton on the Town occasionally. For me, of these two Frog Morton's however, this is the lighter, less full-tasting. And whether this is cased or not, it is a fine and enjoyable taste, both the FM's (yes, they are similar), easily all-day smokes if you're hooked on them as I once was. Light latakia, little vanilla or cavendish, vanilla, and something else-- I have a hard time tasting the orientals, at least as I know them in other many blends.

Similar Blends: Frog Morton's Cellar.

TexasPipeGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasPipeGuy (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A smoke I truly enjoy. I just open my first can of this stuff and I will be ordering some more. While I really enjoy the original Frog Morton, I enjoy this one as well because there is a hint of sweetness to the smoke that can be smelled in the air as well as tasted on the draw. No bite detected whether smoking fast or sipping. Another good blend from McClelland.

Pipe Used: Nording Bent

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars .com

Similar Blends: Original Frog Morton But Somewhat lighter and sweeter..

Orchard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Orchard (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A dark brown tobacco with a pleasant smoky sweet tin note. Dark, rich, earthy with a touch of sweetness. Has a mellow sweet campfire flavour. This is an exceedingly well balanced tobacco with a nice level of complexity. Overall very smooth. Notes of raison, vanilla, burning leaves, charcoal, mustiness, nuttiness and maybe a touch of citrus at times. One of my favourites.

Pipe Used: Peterson bulldog

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: McClelland 5110 Frog Morton Cellar.

Captain Nicotine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Nicotine (1)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked my first bowl of this not that long ago. To be honest - and this is just my opinion only - this baccy did nothing for me at all.
I've been enjoying the Dunhill and Samuel Gawith ranges and this was a disappointment to be honest. I couldn't get over how sweet it was, the lack of Nicotine was perhaps the most upsetting part, I think smoking gum leaves would contain more nicotine - jokes!
Other than that, the smoke was very cool, ultra cool actually, never got hot or harsh, no tongue or mouth bite. I honestly don't know if it is, but seems like an aro to me.
That sickly sweet flavour lasts throughout the bowl, but the smokiness on what I assume is supposed to be Latakia starts to come to the fore by the half-way mark - if I make it half way.
I tried another bowl last night to see if I was just dreaming on the first...it appears I was not!

However, if you're into a baccy that has relatively no nicotine content, that is smooth, cool, with generous amounts of smoke and uber sweet, this may well be for you! It's definitely not for me though!

Pipe Used: Cob

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (38)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

FMOTT might be just the ticket for someone "crossing over" from a steady diet of light, aromatic/English offerings. Personally, I find the topping to be too much and the tobacco to be too little, not to mention the propylene glycol humectant that makes it difficult to smoke. Airing it out for several days lessened the perfume-y scent, but years (now) of aging have not helped this blend from my perspective. At some point I found what I thought was the best balance of perfume and tobacco, a sort of wistful something-or-other only faintly reminiscent of tobacco, but not at all satisfying to me. Basically, there are plenty of stronger English blends that offer more of the tobacco I'm after, so no need for me to bother with this stuff. I can see that others like it a lot, but I cannot recommend it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

There are many blends out there that are marketed as crossovers, but they fail misserably; they are either too heavily cased or don't have enough flavoring. In my opinion, a good crossover blend has a nice interplay of aromatic flavor with natural tobacco flavor, without one overpowering the other. This blend has a nice and sweet aromatic flavor while the tobaccos (latakia and orientals) are present. In a nutshell, a properly balanced crossover done correctly.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

One more "English mixture". I do not like nuts aluminium can but that's the way it is. Smokes light and easy. What distinguish it is that strange "Basma" taste. You can like it or not (I'm indifferent). The main problem of this mixture is the total absence of nicotine. I'll add "Ten Russians" to it, maybe this way it will be more satisfying.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good blend of Froggy here. This is my third favorite in the series. #1 - Froggy in the Cellar #2 - Froggy. It has a bit of sweetness and more refinement than Froggy.

amnation Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amnation (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh, wow! Had heard great things about the Frog range and this is my first crack at them. Noted what people have referred to as the 'ketchup' scent to the tin note but this did not carry over to the smoke.

Smooth, tasty, dry and cool. This is quite possibly one of the best tobaccos I've ever tried. Went down a treat even though the wife certainly didn't approve of the smell on me afterwards. Typical of Latakia blends though. My new neat friend is a frog.

jgwaltney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jgwaltney (4)

Tin: Smells like a typical English, but on the lighter side. There's a sweetness about it that peeks through the charcoal-y latakia smell. There's a slight tanginess to the aroma, sort of citrus-y, but it's minute and I wouldn't call it "ketchup" as many reviewers of the tobacco do. Nothing too funky or out-of- the-ordinary.

The cut is easy to work with. It's fluffy and easy to pack, with a soft feel in your hands.

Charring light: This is the heaviest that the latakia will get. Every time I char it, the latakia is the power player. But it still is not invasive.

1st Third: Mellow. Very sweet and airy, with latakia in the background. Creamy and has a small vanilla taste (but not a syrupy aromatic vanilla). The tanginess noted in the tin note note sneaks in and out.

2nd Third: The tobacco deepens greatly. There is no more tanginess. The sweetness subsides to the background and the creamy spicy nuttiness of the Basma is in a duet with the latakia. They go from the creamy spiciness to the rich smokiness interchangeably. There are subtle nuances of the sweetness that creep in. Very complex.

3rd third: Is much like the 1st third, but a little heavier on the latakia side. (Keep in mind that "a little heavier" is relative, and in no way is this a heavy smoke). The tanginess is starting to creap in again. Then it all dies away and leaves you satisfied.

Room note: Pleasant for a non-aromatic. Not as big of a response as from Mr. Morton's Cellar, but still a desirable smell.

Overall: One of my favorite blends. Masterfully crafted and very satisfying.

nitramretep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitramretep (8)

This is one of the best blends from MCelland. I just love it and it has my favorite blend to smoke. On The Town was my choice over the other Frog blends for it's great taste and well balanced blend of Viginian, Turkish and Latakia tobaccos. I only smoke in the evenings and there is nothing like On the Town infront of the fireplace!

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just a wonderful blend good volume of smoke very enjoyable.Just a little to mild for me.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

I agree with DaddyWarbucks assessment: FMOTT is practically an aromatic, with a sweet, caramel-y taste. Very nice room note.

Where DaddyWarbucks and I differ, however, is our rating of this blend: This is not one of my favorite tobaccos. Too mild and aromatic for me, but I can see why so many smokers like it. No bite, stays lit, stays moist. If you like Britt's Balkan, you'll love FMOTT.

DaddyWarbucks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyWarbucks (11)

This is an unusual tobacco; I've never had anything that quite matches it. I hesitate to call it an aromatic. It's a sweet, caramel-y blend, but unlike any aromatics I've had, there is no artificiality to the taste; the aroma seems totally natural. Room note smells pleasantly of sweet tobacco.

All in all, this is one of my favorite tobaccos. It's not an everyday smoke for me, and never a working smoke. It's perfect for a relaxed weekend evening. I like to pair it with a Benedictine & brandy, or a cup of high mountain oolong.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Basically, "beeftip"s review (02/20/2010) says it all. The Frog and me won't be friends. Way too sweet for a blend containing Latakia and Orientals, though the Basma is a nice addition. Greasy, goopy (it's an aged tin, yet the mixture is too damp) and OTC-ish. No comparison to real Englanders, not even Westmorland. Won't buy again, sorry McC. 2 of 5. Update: after a few months with some drying it is still sticky, but much much better. 3 of 5 stars, it really needs time (and the smoker, too).

Kevinalban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevinalban (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I open this can up a few times a week just to take in that smell. Like a smokey Earl Grey. Pleasant and mild. Stays lit to the end. Actually bought it due to the Tolkien reference name hoping not to be disappointed, and wasnt. Smooth.

JCelsius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JCelsius (5)

Simply wonderful. It's smooth and tasty wonderful from the first puff to the last. If I only got to smoke one blend the rest of my life, I think this would be it.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If I was an all day smoker, this would be the one. Upon opening you are greeted with an aroma you can taste. Burns to the bottom and stays lit. Taste is perfect. Nothing overwhelming and not some sticky aromatic. This is the one to try.

NaughtyDogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NaughtyDogg (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

At this point in time this has become my blend of choice for everyday, anytime smoking pleasure. The tin aroma is very pleasant even including the odd ketchupy smell that I have grown to love from McClelland blends.

The cut is perfect in my opinion and lights and burns well all the way through the bowl. This is not a heavy blend by any means, but it is not meant to be. Somehow it manages to stay extremely smooth and mellow, but still is complex and tasty enough to keep me happy and interested throughout the entire bowl. The orientals lend this blend depth, the latakia body, and there is a very pleasant, but not overpowering sweetness as well. I also love that this blend has a pleasant room note while still smelling like good old tobacco.

I am a huge fan of this blend as an all day smoke and as a "warm up" blend in the evening before I move on to heavier, more robust blends. Highly recommended.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (76)

UPDATE

I hate being wrong, except of course when it comes to 100g of tobacco that I paid top dollar for at my local B&M. And I live in California where a steeper price is paid to support the neighborhood tobacco shop.

Nonetheless, as I was transferring the remaining contents of my tin into a jar for storage I noticed it was over 3 years old. I thought to myself, “This tobacco should be in its prime.” Since I hate having a bunch of open tins I decided to do a little more experimenting with FMOTT before stashing it away. I thought perhaps that a little dry time might be in order. I never gave this a shot because out of the tin FMOTT passed the pinch test perfectly. I took out about a pipe's worth, spread it out on a paper plate and let it dry for almost an hour. This alone sparked a remarkable transformation in the tobacco. For one, the latakia became way more prominent in the tobacco's unsmoked scent, almost as though it was being held in check by the vanilla topping which dissipates greatly with some air time. Airing FMOTT out (just a little) improved the smoke for me. The latakia content was immediately noticeable and is supported by a subtle sweetness and slight Oriental spice note that makes this a fairly pleasant yet mild pipe smoke. FMOTT still gets to my tongue a little and requires a few more relights than normal, (perhaps another hour dry time would rectify this)?

All in all, I would categorize FMOTT as “Decent, somewhat temperamental, but not spectacular.” I doubt I will buy more, but I will definitely enjoy the rest of what I have on hand. Added one star - "Somewhat Recommended”

INITIAL REVIEW

For some reason I have trouble rendering any sort of appreciable tobacco flavor out of this blend whatsoever. Reading some of the reviews of FMOTT, I wonder if my tin was mislabeled at the factory. From charring light to finish all I get is a sweet side stream aroma with an acrid and vague flat/ashy taste that leaves my tongue feeling like I spent the night at the salt lick. I also get very little latakia from this one. It's barely noticeable in the tin aroma, and even harder for me to detect while smoking it. Anyway, I have tried this in several different pipes, larger ones with more open draws like my Boswell Billiard and smaller ones like my Peterson 03. I have even given FMOTT a shot in my trusty cob. Same result all around, sweet aroma and little to no flavor. As a fan of McClelland, FMOTT was a major disappointment and shame on me for ponying up for a 100g tin of it. Back to the cellar with this one, I'll revisit it at a later date.

Tumbaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tumbaki (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderfully light, sweet, and mellow.My better half doesn't object when I light up/ Normally she slams the door. I would recommend this to the neophyte as well as the seasoned smoker. You on't be disappointed. Enjoy!

jediokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jediokie (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I've had this tin sitting in the cardboard box that acts as a cellar to me at the moment for a little while now. Unopened, unloved. I ordered it based on all the wonderful comments and reviews on this forum and was really looking forward to it.

Then I got a tin of Presbyterian and had a horrible time with it. That scared me off other blends with orientals in them which included OTT. But, as my four year old begged me to show her how to hit a ball off a tee I decided to suck it up and open the tin. I loaded a three quarter bowl into my trusty billiard I use to try all tobaccos out in and went out side.

Man. What a difference two blenders can be. This stuff was amazing! It had a nice little sweetness that I can only assume came from the Turkish since there isn't any Virginia in it. The Latakia was mild and reserved but still the foremost noticeable tobacco. The orientals I can only assume were the creeping little spice that would show up ever so slightly and let you know there was something special about this tobacco. Two thumbs way up.

I have to say that I still lean towards the original Frog since it's a fuller, more robust taste, but OTT is going to stay a go to tobacco for a long time. I really think with the spice it would go good in the summer with a pale beer or big glass of iced tea. I'll give it a try one evening and revisit this thread.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This stuff was the firstLatakia blend that made me fall in love with Latakia. This 8 years later is still wonderful. Slightly sweet from Virginia tobaccos and a sweet Latakia flavor throughout. No flavoring, such as fruit etc, is present , but it is sweet- maybe from sugar added during processing, but not "casing". Every time I open a tin (currently smoking a 4 year old tin) it is still a welcome friend. If you are only interested in an oriental forward Balkan, it probably won't satisfy, but if a wonderful McClelland Virginia based blend sound good, I believe you'll be happy!

Merry Christmas. Top honors to FMATT!

jgstudios Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jgstudios (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I'll start out by saying that my comment is really aimed at the novice, as well as the aero smoker looking for something really new. I've been on a quest. After sampling well over a dozen tobaccos this month of all different varieties, I took my first puff of FMOTT and knew this is now going to be my number one go-to tobacco. I've smoked for many years off-and-on. Mostly in winter. The briars call to me when the air turns crisp and cold, and all these years I've smoked mostly only one tobacco from my local Stag shop. Boss's Blend was always my choice. This year, this month in fact, I had a revelation, and decided to look for more flavor because Stag BB was not really exciting me anymore. There were times when I just wasn't enjoying it, and seasons when I just didn't take up the pipe. But I got the bug bad this month (Dec 2011), so I've been buying and sampling all kinds of tobaccos. Therefore, I consider myself a novice since my experience with different tobaccos has been brief. I have to say that tongue bite has been my nemesis all month despite trying hard to be a slow and easy smoker. Some tobaccos just burn. Yesterday I received my latest order which included FMOTT and I was totally hooked. For newbies or anyone who's not getting the kind of satisfaction they seek from typical aeros and other tobaccos, who is on the quest, searching for more flavor and that mysterious something that you can't place your finger on, this may be the fork in the road. I say...take it...you will be rewarded with a very seductive smoke. From opening the tin, I got a strong and intoxicating scent of leather, smoke and a feeling of standing aboard an old sailing ship. Just a feeling mind you, but I was there on that ship with the crisp wind in my face and the aroma of the old world wafting about me. Upon smoking, I got spice, leather, smoke, and something altogether mysterious, some say it's vanilla, but there's a depth to it that I have not gotten from any other tobacco. Is it the basma? Whatever it was, it really got the hooks in me, and I'm pretty much in love with this blend. This is the first tobacco that I can snork (exhale through my nose) with pleasure, without that back of throat raspy burn that I usually get. This is the first tobacco that, as the smoker, I can truly enjoy the aroma of the smoke as I puff. And it tastes so good. This is the first tobacco that didn't bite me easily and not at all really. I LOVE this stuff. I have just placed my order for the other 3 FMs. I'm certain that I will be stocking up on this and possibly the other FM blends as the months roll on. I can't wait!!!

bluemonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluemonk (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Out of all 4 Frog Morton's, OTT is the tastiest. In some puffs, I'm almost positive there's a hint of coconut. Great for a stroll on the town, perfect for relaxing, most mellow, an excellent companion for contemplating the infinite facets of the universe. So what are you waiting for? Pick up some On The Town. Cheers!

smokeymountainmike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeymountainmike (10)

I agree with the other reviewers that this is a very pleasant blend. I can't add anything else that hasn't been said. I enjoy all the frog Morton blends and I highly recommend you give them all try. I also like the Tin designs! Love that Frog.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (131)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the last of the Frogs I have had the pleasure to smoke. This one like all the others in the series lights and stays lit well, burns down to a fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. All the components come together nicely in this blend. Hurry and buy all four blends. Highly recommended.

Cicero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cicero (5)

One of my all time favorites, I always have some on hand. A medium blend with a moderate amount of latakia. It has a warm and sweet (not a casing) taste that knocks the edge off of the latakia, but compliments it at the same time. Just a perfect tobacco!

The Saint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Saint (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I usually smoke a medium to heavy English Latakia type blend, but when I feel like something a little sweeter and milder, I fill my bowl with this. With me blends come and go, but this always seems to stick around

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet and a bit dull at the start, but once the bowl progresses it gets pretty good. Theres a whole sweet,smoky thing going on here, but I keep comparing it to the original frog, and in my opinion it doesn't shape up. It's like the recipe is close, but a little off. The Basama seems to add a sortof orientalish taste, it's quite pleasant and not overdone.

A bit light on the nicotine and for some reason I can only get it to smoke consistently well in one pipe (meer lined). I did enjoy this tin, and recommend it to anyone who is considering it, however I won't be buying more, I like original frog too much.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Truly the most fitting blend of pipe weed to pay homage to Middle Earth and the Hobbit. The magic and spirit of Tolkien's extraordinary high fantasy is eloquently expressed, dare I say stolen, in this wonderful basma infused oriental/latakia blend. Similar to the Hobbits impact on literature, this blend is unique enough to spur a new genre. For those of you who haven't experienced this, it's a supremely pleasurable smoke. The taste is subtle but magnificent. One might think English, but then quickly change their mind and think oriental...then waffle in pleasure as there is something else...something mysterious...a magical twinkle that allures yet delights ones taste buds.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent latakia blend. Best Froggie I've had to date.

Wawalsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wawalsh (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am a big fan of the McClelland line. I have been watching pipe smoking videos and reading the reviews here and thought I would try this tobacco. This is the first Latakia I have smoked in over 30 years. I found it very pleasant with a smoky sweet aroma. It really tastes great in my Dunhill almost like they were made for each other. This is a great tobacco if you want to venture into the Latakia blends.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is sweet and grain-like. Latakia really plays a bit part here, sweet and tangy Orientals overshadow the smoky Latakia leaf. Virginia base is there in the background, giving up it's warm, edible aromas. Just using the nose, you can sense the quality and range of the Oriental leaves used here. Unusual but very pleasant aromas unfold from the scent of this sweet blend. Fresh ocean air, algae, sweetly earthy, damp leaf notes, Flintstones chewable vitamins, prunes, chocolate chip cookies, coffee-flavored candy, freshly sliced pear. This stuff's tin aroma is very complex and quite interesting. Very, very nice.

Easy to handle, lights a little slow but burns well once lit.

Wow. Warm, sweet, tangy, baked peaches, dark chocolate, rolled oats, Cheerios, and caramel. Nice soft Virginia sweetness, Latakia is more pronounced than in the tin aroma, balancing the Orientals. A cool, delicious English blend. One of the most enjoyable blends I've smoked. The flavor gets deeper and richer as the bowl progresses. Anytime of day, this cool, flavorful blend never disappoints. Complex, intriguing stuff.

Excellent! 4 Stars and definitely on the favorites list

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)

This is quite possibly the best blend I have ever smoked. I cant beleive that this only averages 3 stars. In my opinion OTT is perfect in every aspect. The aroma out of the tin was one of the best Ive ever put my nose to. There is a sweetness that I liken to Lindor truffels, almost buttery, but also an equally smokey aroma of latakia. One dosent overpower the other. I gave this some brief air time before smoking this in a long bamboo stem austrian "ropp" style pipe. The first thing that i noticed was the sublte sweetness, again a faint truffel taste that is present, not overpowering, but just at the right level along with a perfect touch of latakia. They work perfectly in tandem in this blend. This also burns very cool. My pipe has yet to get hot to the touch while smoking this. Also worth noting through 5+ bowls I have yet to relight. I havent had the slightest hint of any bite. If I could give this an extra 1 1/2 stars I would. Easily 4. Highly recommended!

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

This is probably one of the only English blends I can smoke all year long, including the hot, sticky summer months.

I would love to try Basma on its' own, just to see exactly what that lends to this blend. On The Town is a one-of-a-kind blend for sure.

Rich, sweet, salty and tangy all at once. Complex, but not complicated. Refreshing comes to mind. A good morning smoke, or an after dinner smoke following a light meal.

Tin dated 6-11-05. After 6 years of age, I am not sure it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

mikeb_68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikeb_68 (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading the reviews, this seemed like a nice foray into the latakia world and BOY was that spot-on! I LOVE this tobacco...so new to my palate and unlike anything I could have imagined.

When I opened the tin, I immediately thought of a pit-bbq..now, let me assure you, it was purely the smokey fragrance, not because I smelled pork or anything! ;)

The tobacco packed and lit easily, there wasn't tons of smoke but then it wasn't needed. The mellow ease of draw and silky mouth-feel of the smoke was excellent.

The flavors I noted were almond and spice with a lingering sweetness that I can't place..perhaps a cane sugar-like taste?

All I know is that I truly love this smoke and will now be forced to try the other Frog's in the near future. Thanks to everyone who reviewed and recommended this one, I truly enjoyed it!

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the gentle, lady-like Frog Morton of the series. This is probably the smoothest English I've had, and there is a slight hint of vanilla here and there, which is actually nice. This is good for a peaceful, non-heavy thinking night.

UPDATE: Yeah, this blend is SO gentle that it now bores me. There's still some in the tin, and I just can't bring myself to smoke it.

ASKJDOG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASKJDOG (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my first tinned tobacco, and as such a pleasant surprise from the store blends. It's a good mild all day smoke, that has a smokey, tangy flavor. I'm more into flakes and stronger english blends these days, especially those with with more nicotine. However, overall a great smoke, and perfect for the new pipe smoker.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco has a very musty, almost mold taste. I ran into this same taste with P&C's Larry's Blend.It's a shame, since this does have a nice room note. The following was my review of "Larry's Blend" that I say Ditto to FMOTT:

Weird, that's what I think of this one (LB). Upon lighting, I got a strong taste of MOLD ???? So much so, I wrote Pipes & Cigar's, Russ Ouellette, and asked if he had a problem. Russ graciously wrote back explaining that it is the high quantity of Smyrna leaf used that gave me that taste. He recommended trying Armada, which is around the same strength, but with different Orientals which are brighter in flavor. As a side note, I found the same "Mold taste" with "Frog Morton on the Town" that has Basma leaf, I don't know if it also has Smyrna. Strange that I don't pick up this flavor with other tobaccos having Orientals? Anyway, this one is not for me.

Updated 9/15/11- I had to try this again after some months in the cellar and now, I GET IT, fragrant Orientals out front. Nice, latakia is hidden way in the background, some sweetness even a touch of chocolate flavor but it still needs attention to keep it lit. I'll have to give this 2 1/2 stars and it actually maybe my favorite of the Frogs. I'll have to also try "Larry's Blend" again?

Updated 11/27/11- As I keep coming back to this blend I keep picking up more nuances; yes there is a cocoa that melds very nicely with the musty oriental. It is very, very smooth and has that sweet & sour tang that I find so flavorful. A few negatives; it doesn't burn real well at a sip and I can't seem to get this dry enough for my liking. I've found that I have to dry it by using a microwave for about 6 seconds a bowl. That said, I feel this is a nice change of pace from heavy latakia blends and I will keep it in my rotation. I'm giving this 3 stars, a little light in "N".

PS. I like Larry's blend better, but LB's aroma will drive my wife from the room, another reason to smoke LB !

deepbass9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deepbass9 (7)

I'm all about variety, I'm all about quality and my palate is wider than many. Tobacco moisture, tongue bite, mood, smoking circumstances and other controllable variables won't be covered. This review is based on multiple bowls over time.

I don't believe in crossover blends. Lat blends, non-Lat blends, aros are how I break things down. This is a delicious Lat blend that can be light or heavy. Very satisfying and full flavored, but with enough dimensions that you don't get bored or fatigued.

I like it better than Boswell's Northwoods (less sweet and more body), and it's on par with Margate (sweeter), though different.

I'd call this a very good tobacco.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A really nice smoke, have a few 100g tins...really love all the Frogs, if you haven't tried them you are missing out...GET SOME!

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Upon tin opening, I was greeted by the usual McClelland ketchup aroma, do they have a trademark on this? I do not care for that signature all that much.

The initial opening was a tad too moist and rightfully so, the blenders are wise to leave moisture management up to the combustor/er. The dampness was nothing that could not be solved by a few hours under the fan, after-which the ketchup aroma was reduced considerably and the nuisances of the blend began to peek through; effortless light as well.

It took about a 1/3rd. of a bowl to get going. This is a mellow and straight forward blend, it did not develop much from top to bottom which is fine; however, when compared with the British, Danish, or German blending houses it does not seem as complex nor interesting; my preference.

The nicotine content I did not find too high, mind you I switch-hit often with cigars; accustomed.

An interesting thing did occur with the room note since my mate was smoking a Cuban puro the the time. It was that of incense possibly Frankincense reminiscent of an Orthodox church, quite interesting and pleasurable, likely not to be duplicated.

Overall, a very good and steady tobacco, which could be enjoyed anytime of the day.

Would I seek it again, likely not since there are many others to combust and some which I prefer more.

Light up and enjoy, your milage will vary.

SakamotoFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SakamotoFan (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is delicious! It's a bit heavy on the nicotine but worth getting a little dizzy for. This stuffs just a little bit sweet, but not too much, and it tastes like real tobacco. I think this might have to be my new favorite english. Very good, very recommended.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you choose to read this review, I will get to Froggie on the Town. I promise I will.

Like many, when Balkan Sobranie went away, it left a massive void. We all began the search for its replacement, and frankly, there isn't any. So, when I see it online in auctions, I'll still pay the astronomical prices for it and enjoy it sparingly. My search brought to me the Dunhill latakia blends, with London Mixture, Standard Medium/Mild and 965 being my primary go-to English blends. And then, they went away for a while. I'd still go to Pease's Westminster or Penzance once in a while, but, off to the search I went again, and among the blends I found were the Frog Morton series. They're all mighty fine. My favorite of the series is the Bayou, and this is tied with the original Frog.

Frog Morton on the Town is just unique. It's taste is milder than the tin note suggests it will be. I can't imagine smoking a pipe all day, but for those who do that, I could see this as an all day blend. Zero bite, none of the numb tongue, not hugely complex but not monolithic either. Just an easy-going, nice English blend. I still prefer London Mixture, but this has less nicotine, which I like.

A solid 3.25 stars for this nice blend.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I must say I'm surprised at some of the less than favorable reviews. It's certainly not a straight English by any means, nor is it an aromatic.

FMOTT is exceptionally smooth and sweet, without being cloying and sickly sweet. The latakia is present, but not terribly pronounced. Beautiful plumes of smoke and incredibly easy to light and keep lit.

Super fine grey ash and no detectable tongue bite. Cool smoke and even at my relatively rapid puffing pace the bowl barely heated up at all.

It almost has a lotus tea flavor to me; a sweetness that is present but understated. I find this to be a very subtle smoke which will have a home in my rotation and cellar for years to come.

Highest marks.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Being a fan of light English blends and a few light aromatics,(to keep the wife happy), this blend is perfect for a light smoke in the house.

Tin note is wonderful, but so is the tin note of every tobacco I have. I can taste cocoa and every now and then for just a second; chocolate. I personally wouldn't class this as an aromatic or an English.... I would say it's more of a very light English blend with an ever so slight aromatic quality about it.

In the future I will try to always have some on hand, as a matter of fact… I've dedicated a brand new Peterson to it.

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a bad tobacco base that is partly destroyed due to over- sugaring and adding artificial flavoring.

This is far from an English for me... It's an aromatic tobacco with an English aroma added to it... Makes it feel weak and not very deep.

Sadly I bought into the hype, now that I've tried it for myself I wish I had looked elsewhere!

Somewhat recommended for beginners that would want to knoow what an english tobacco almost tastes like but not quite leave the world of aromatics.

Sits flavorwise somewhere between boswells mild english and northwoods... Northwoods being the mildest "faux-English" I would ever want to try again. Northwoods is A LOT better!

Julian Arden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Julian Arden (8)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Maybe I simply don't like "aromatic English" class of tobaccos? After reading of many good opinions of this mixture, I decided to try it, and I am disappointed. Wrong cut, wrong parfume, general impression "something not too expensive". I don't understand the idea behind the taste of this tobacco. Many elements, some perhaps of good quality, but with no final entirety. Finally I offered it to my colleague, who loves aromatic tobaccos (DAN, Altadis etc.) and dislikes latakia. It is not best possible recommendation, I presume.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

My first impression of this smoke was "this reminds me of a drugstore", but I was very pleased with the bowl. There is a sweet spot mid way through that is excellent. Each bowl of On the Town I smoke got better and better. It lost the aromatic highlight that shocked me with the first smoke ( I've never had an "aromatic English" before) but still has a wonderful sweetness. This is the second blend of Froggy I've tried and have a 50 tin of Across the Pond to try next. I very much enjoy Frog Morton.

As an extra, if you haven't ever tried this, I recommend adding a little Mac Baren's Roll Cake to On the Town. My first thought was "Christmas!" From time to time I add Roll Cake to different Latakia blends. Aye, it be good!

scorpio2billion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio2billion (9)

As an English smoker, I call FMOTT "pipe candy". It always smells to me like cocoa powder, in the same way that Royal Yacht always does. That being said, this is a really, really good tobacco. McClelland sometimes gets a little heavy-handed with some of their blending Orientals, but, to me at least, they get this one right. Light and cool, with a sweetness that isn't cloying. I usually like tobaccos that rough me up and steal my car, but this is a great blend that's a welcome change of pace- especially in the mornings.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

First, the tin note of FMOTT is a sweet blend of Orientials (I doubt that I could really identify Basma independently of the other Orientials in the blend) and Latakia. My tin, which was from 2006, was very moist. In fact, it was so moist that after leaving it open for 7 days it was still moist--which leads me to wonder if there's not a topping used. It never really dried to my preferred level.

Second, the taste was as the tin note--a sweet blend of Orientals and Latakia, although, to my taste buds, the Latakia seemed more pronounced than it has to other reviewers. It didn't really change in flavor as I proceeded down the bowl. For me, FMOTT worked better in a large bowl to bring out the flavor.

In all, FMOTT contains the typically excellent McClelland tobaccos and is worth consideration by the English blend smoker.

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm not a fan of McClelland blends, as I'm one of those folk who find the "hot ketchup" flavor of their Virginias not very pleasant.

However, FMotT is for me, hands down, the single best McC blend I've ever smoked. I've had several tins, going back to the first tin I bought back in the early 2000's right up to tins I bought recently, and it's very consistent.

It's a pleasant, mild to medium bodied English blend that seems to be easy on the tongue and palate. It packs well, stays lit and doesn't get overly strong toward the bottom of the bowl. I must say that I'm puzzled by the references to the various notes of aromatic flavors others are referencing. It seems to me, as one who enjoys both aromatic and non-aromatic blends that it has a natural sweetness having nothing to do with any casing or topping.

It's not too high in "Vitamin N", making it a pleasant smoke any time of day.

I've only one tin left in my cellar, and since the B&M near my home town is stocking it at a reasonable price, it looks like a few more tins are due to be purchased.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Not much to say about this besides being an average "American English" mixture, with fine Orientals and Virginias, a good amount of Latakia, and (not so mildly) flavored with who-knows-what, a wine-like taste that doesn't contribute to the experience.

Not bad, not great either, not even close to the original Frog Morton.

SpaceCowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpaceCowboy (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I am mainly used to your average run of the mill aromatics, so this stuff was a bit of a shock to me. As soon as i peeled the lid back i was immediately confused. I was expecting something sweet and fruity, but was quite pleasantly surprised by a much earthier aroma. This stuff reminds me of a fermented leaf smell, like when you are raking damp leaves. I also got sort of a baked beans type smell. Very odd indeed. Its semi sweet and interestingly pungent taste has kept me coming back for more, especially when i want something a bit different. Now for the key points: -Pungent, semi sweet and campfire-like (yet smooth) smoke. -Burns pretty well with a velvety soft smoke -smells odd, it doesn't usually bother people but it isn't as pleasent to non smokers as most aromatics and sweeter tobaccos are.

I would definitely recommend this as a change of pace from common tobaccos. It's different in an enjoyable way, and well worth the money (I overpaid at a smoke shop and still have no regrets).

pjcarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjcarter (3)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is what I would classify as an aromatic English blend. It burns quite nicely, tastes WONDERFUL and has a pleasant room note. It is not overly complex and can be enjoyed without too much thought.

This blend would be perfect for a pipe smoker desiring a more refined tobacco but also spends time smoking in public settings. It won't turn people off but will satisfy a palette seeking fuller flavors.

Parts of the room note and taste exhibit hints of chocolate to keep an aro fan happy but there is also the underlying tobacco flavor that English lovers crave.

The more I find myself smoking maduro cigars, the more I find myself seeking out quality English blends. This has found a permanent place in my tobacco cabinet.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

I agree with everyone else so no use in boring you. A good replacement for HGL. However I did see a post about the price at their local tobacco shop. I have to agree! I would love to support them but the pipes are 20-40 dollars more and the tins of FM and others we're 4.25 per can more than I found on the net. I know they have to make a profit but fast nickels are better than slow dimes!!! Where their's tobacco sales, pipes are sure to come. Turn over equals greater profit! Simple! Get with it Mom and Pop's and we will come:)!!!

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton OTT always brings a smile to my face because, like many people, it was the blend that bridged me over to smoking English blends. But, now after a long time has gone by and English and vapers have dominated my world, I smoked my first bowl of FMOTT in a long time. It really is a nice tobacco. I would call it an English on the sweet side with a touch of vanilla. The Orientals are the the lead player here. It reminds me in many ways of 4 Noggin's "Britt's Balkan." The taste I find to be similar. FMOTT packs and burns well. The Latakia is a player, but in a supporting role. I could see why many people not only mention this blend as their "cross over" blend, but one that they stay with for a long time. One minor note, FMOTT can leave a bit of a ghost in the pipe. It's one that is not impossible to get rid of, but I would dedicate a pipe to it if you can. Recommended.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Strong

This is one of a kind english mixture!

The tin aroma was simply intoxicating. It displays a very rich, sweet and delicious taste.

My wife complained about the room note. So I have to smoke it when she is not around.

I will rebuy. The Basma is top of the notch!

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

June 16, 2010

I bought this tin in September of 2004 but neglected to review it at the time. I smoked about half the tin, and then put it in the humidor and did not open it again until May 2010. At that point it had dried out appreciably, so I rehumidified it by spreading it out on one of my wife's prized antique service trays and placing a damp paper towel over the whole shebang for about two hours before returning it to the tin.

Tonight, I loaded a bowlful into my pre-republic Peterson Killarney bulldog. Magnificent! This is a perfect blend for someone who likes the flavor of Latakia but does not want it in their face. Smooth, mellow and complex, I highly recommend this blend, especially after a few years of aging!

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A pleasant surprise, this blend is smooth and mellow, producing a proliferation of silky, rich smoke, with prominent notes of toasted marshmallow, and a decent dose of Cyprian Latakia. Lights and burns great, smokes cool, not at all harsh or biting. A highly enjoyable blend on the lighter side, and a good transitional tobacco between aromatics and mild English blends. If you find you prefer your Latakia blends to use the weed as a very mild seasoning, however, and stay in the background, then you'll likely prefer Frog Morton Across the Pond or even Frog Morton on the Bayou. Recommended as a good introductory smoke for cyprian latakia.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This frog is interesting only because of the basma, which has a unique sweet flavor I enjoy.

To allow the mild basma to be tasted, the rest of the blend is mild, smooth, and silky. Vit N is mild.

As with all McClelland blends I have tried, the predominate player is the virginia. Sometimes that is perfect (Anniversary), sometimes the virginia overpowers any condiments used and the flavors seem not to blend well (2105). In any case the star is the virginia.

Here, the sweet taste of the basma is refreshing, tasty and blends smoothly with the virginia base tobacco. The blend does lack a full bottom and seems a bit week because of it. The aftertaste is very bitter, as you would expect from a product labeled "On the Town".

In order to round the bottom I mixed it with Anniversary, that increased the latakia content, rounded the flavor profile and increased the strength. The basma was still evident, while the bitter aftertaste is replaced with the fuller taste of a sweeter virginia.

I will not buy it again to smoke alone, but will use it to blend with Anniversary, 4 as a blender.

Lately I find myself enjoying blends with the finest particular tobacco (Anniversary), the smooth quality blends of the old world (Squadron Leader), a unique flavor like tonquin bean (Westmorland) or the outrageous one of a kind fun blend (Voodoo Queen).

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

After going over all the reviews I felt my fellow puffers gave FMOTT an over all B+ rating but the jury was out on what class it fell into - English or Balkan. I suppose it could be either one but I find that a lot of puffers define those two labels pretty widely. I finally got around to picking up a tin to see what all the hubbub was about. Packs great and stays lit. As a lover of Orientals I find FMOTT to be a little short in the twang dept, not much King Nic punch and the Latakia lover will go away wanting. Didn't taste the marshmallow but it is a sweeter blend than most in the English or Balkan classes. That said, I really like the Froggy. It lives up to it's name - smooth, relaxed and a bit dressed up. Gobs of creamy smoke. My angel wife even commented on how it sure smelled better than a lot of the "other" Oriental blends I smoke. I will dedicate a pipe to it and smoke it a couple of times per week. If you put a gun to my head I guess I would call FMOTT a dessert Balkan. I'll always have some on hand.

cactusboy33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cactusboy33 (5)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now I had looked into this tobacco as a gateway to stronger English blends and I can see how it has earned its reputation as such.

A very smooth and mellow blend (are you still allowed to call a tobacco smooth?). Stays lit easily, kept moist in the tin, and the flavours haven't diminished.

The scent out of the tin is a mix of the ever present 'marshmellow' (see what I did there) scent and the smoky, bonfire smell of latakia. It's an odd mix that reminds me of campfires or prehaps some sort of horrific confectionery factory inferno. Either way its nice, sweet and smoky.

The taste is more towards the 'marshmellow' end though with only the lightest hint of latakia at the beginning and end of the draw. Now this flavour for those who havent tried it isn't as dominating as it seems, it is a lot more present than the latakia but it doesn't drown it out. A taste that is pleasant but annoying as you can't quite place it. Is it marshmallow is it vanilla, I even get a Horlicks like note every now and again.

A really nice blend that is from some sort of twilight zone of tobacco, that is a cross between an aromatic, an English blend and Mr Stay Puft. A halfway house if you will for those making the journey from aromatic to English and vice versa.

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)

One of my favourite tobacco's. lovely blend of sweet Basma and Latakia. Complex enough to keep you interested, does not bite, this along with 2045 is my go to tobacco.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The second winner of the Frog Morton contest. A very nice Oriental. Smooth and pleasing down to the last puff. This blend like FM, gets better with age. The Latakia's are in perfect harmony with the Turkish tobaccos. Don't let the tin smell fool you. A distant cousin to Sillem's Black.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

I ran out of Frog Morton so I ran to the local tobacco retailer to get some more. Unfortunately they were out. The salesman recommended "Out on the Town". I have had 3-4 bowls now and I have to say I like it better then Frog Morton. It seems a little more mild and a little smoother. I am pretty sure I will pick up another Frog tin, I like the strenth of it, but this is a wonderful addition to my humidor. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys latakia on the mild side.

If you ware interested I would buy it online. I like to support local retailers but I was a little dismayed at how much more I spent. It is much cheaper online.

hedgehorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hedgehorn (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very pleasant and no tongue bite. Buy it from your favourite online store. I bought the first tin at the tinder * and it costs $10 more per 100g tin than at pipes and cigars. I will from now on always buy online.

Dunhill Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunhill Dave (2)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Smoking a bowl of this blend now. This tastes like air to me,and in fact, unless I look down at my pipe, I might forget that I am smoking. This is not an English Blend at all. Trust me, the English like to know that they are smoking something more than air. This might be useful in the event that you want to smoke, and are so busy that you don't need to notice your blend. Amazing, as I am getting to the middle of the bowl and still don't taste anything. Not to be offensive, but this stuff is for wimps. Will never waste my time, or cash on it again.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco unique. It's very distinct from other english blends, due to the basma leaf which provides a not very subtle, sweet, marshmellow kind of, taste.

Not an everyday smoke for me, and not my kind of favorite english blend, but a nice change of pace. I don´t recommend it for a long smoke after a great dinner, but it works very well as an afternoon or morning english.

UPDATE: I've finished my tin. See Beeftip's review, some posts above... it's spot on. FMOOT will seriously ghost your latakia pipes. For a few bowls every english blend you smoke in them will taste sweeter then ever. If you intend to introduce this in your permanent rotation, dedicate a pipe(s) to it.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)

There are many similarities in English blends. This is probably due in large part to the ingredient Latakia. Latakia is not over done in this Frog blend. It's just right and nicely balanced with smooth orientals.

What struck me is the smoothness of this blend, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It is very flavorful and very satisfying. I could easily say this is one of the best blends containing Latakia that I have ever smoked.

I would not hesitate to acquire more of it.

NorthwoodsSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoker (8)

This Frog is a nice medium English. To me it was a bit light, but a good all day blend that I don't have to think about. Also a very nice smoke in the morning while watching the sun come up.

Not the philly in the stable but more like a good reliable work horse.

All in all it's a good smoke that just falls short of four stars for me. I keep it around for it's ability to be unpretentious.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I am torn because -- althought I think this falls short of a truly great, 4-star smoke -- it is one of my consistent favorites. What this frog lacks in gravitas it makes up for in amiability.

FMOTT is an extraordinarily well behaved, easy smoke. It is not an aromatic, but the sweet Basma makes it the closest thereto in my permanent rotation. The smell in the jar is delectable -- sweet, smoky, and a hint of spice. In the bowl, it's a honey-kissed, cedar-like campfire with an exotic, Oriental touch, that gives off satisfyingly voluminous smoke. It burns easily, with a minimum of fuss, notwithstanding the PG that keeps the ribbons perpetually springy (at least until they're incinerated).

Not really a proper English or a Balkan, it is nonetheless a genial amphibian visitor who speaks with a distinguished (even if hard-to-place) foreign accent.

PuppetHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuppetHead (5)

This is nice tobacco. Finished my first 100g tin of this today, after about 3 months of off and on smoking. The flavor is mild -- smoky sweet, with a nice oriental presense. Moisture in the tin was good -- just right for smoking. This stuff stays moist even after months in the tin - suggests a humectant of some kind, though it is not 'goopy' when smoked.

Very mild flavor, and you can puff away on this stuff like crazy without any bite, producing volumes of white smoke. It's light on nicotine. The latakia used in this blend is of the brighter variety tastewise, though it's not too 'piney'. The orientals are first rate. The virginia - well you either love McClelland virginias, or you don't. I'm one of those who doesn't - they seem artificially tart to me. Call it ketchup, BBQ sauce, acetic acid, or a natural by product of McClelland's aging process produced by fermentation... either way, the tobacco is tart. On the plus side, again, there is no bite -- perhaps because the alkalinity of the virginias has been reduced?

Good stuff. This would rate higher for me if I could just get over the McClelland 'smell', which for me carries over into the flavor of the smoke. It's not a bad flavor, either -- I just find it very distracting. Two stars for me, three if you like McClelland virginias. I'll go with 3, as most people seem to handle that McClelland 'twang' just fine.

NJE03 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NJE03 (5)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is a great smoke. It has an earthy taste to it, I also detect a subtle sweetness to it. It never has given me any tongue bite. Highly recommended.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)

A very light, but sophisticated blend. Decent diversion, but I think best served in the morning with tea or for something at night that needs a delicate touch.

There is absolutely nothing offensive about this stuff other than it being mild. Couldn't find a bite and was consistant throughout. Did not come out soggy from the tin as does most of my McClelland experiences.

Like I put down before, a decent enjoyable diversion.

It's interesting, I'll keep some around.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A very pleasant, biteless, light blend that's soft, cool and silky. It's sweet in a unique way, delightfully so, not in any way overpowering, with hints of spice that meld perfectly with the sweetness, making this a subtle, nuanced blend easy to immerse yourself in.

One small quibble: I agree with BingCrosby, "that it is missing a solid core" -- I too prefer something with a bit more substance to it. It's just a bit too wispy for me, which is why I can't give it four stars.

That being said, it's still delectable and satisfying. For some reason I especially like it outdoors. Many have said it'd make a good all-day blend, and I agree.

bosbilliard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bosbilliard (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Frog Morton on the Town was the first blend I tried that was not a burley or aromatic. I decided to buy it on a whim, and the first time I tried it I thought it was ok.

I smoked it tonight for the second time and I appreciated it much more. It was great! The tin aroma is pretty heavy (but not overpowering) with Latakia, and the moisture pretty good. I dried it out for 5-10 minutes, and then once I packed and lit, it stayed lit very easily. FMOTT produces a cool, creamy smoke, and there was no tongue bite at all. The flavor was a sweet and smoky, and the room note was awesome.

This blend is great for anyone looking for a complex, yet satisfying smoke with no bite. Very enjoyable!

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to give On The Town a Highly Recommended or the wife will have me in the dog house. Not only that but this blend is fantastic. It smokes good in all weather, but to tell you the truth I like to sit outside when it is raining just under an awning so I don't get wet, sometime after sundown. I think this tobacco really shines then. It is usually a staple of our tobacco rotations. My Personal notes have this at a 9.6 and I'm being reminded we are out of this blend now. I guess I'll have to place an order, after we get our dunhill tobaccos in March.

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is my #1 go to tobacco blend. There is simply nothing else like it. Smokes very cool and clean with few relights. Classy, elegant, and refined are descriptions that fit this blend perfectly. A world class tobacco worthy of the pipe tobacco Hall of Fame.

This blend has a very earthy and natural quality to it. Plenty of smokey latakia but never overwhelming. Mellow and slighty sweet matured Virginias - never ever bites. Interestingly, the basma is VERY high grade - it seems to provide an "evergreen" unusual flavor not found in any other blend that I know of ( I have smoked dozens of different blends ).

Exceptionally nice when you blow the smoke through your nose - so soft and silky with a smokey "green pine tree" outdoors in the wilderness kinda smell. The aroma is heavenly. Its as if you were exhaling incense through your nostrils WOW!

It is this man's humble opinion that this blend is the most complex multi-dimensional tobacco anywhere in the world, and simply put - this is the finest blend on the planet. The only thing that comes close to this kind of quality would be GL Pease's Westminster.

What an outstanding achievement.

Smaug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smaug (5)

Spicy, tangy aromas from the tin. The smoke is soft, sweet, strange and implacable. Smoky latakia grumbles along in the background keeping everything moving, but it's that strange sweetness that keeps the mind engaged and sends it strolling off towards unexplored horizons and undreamed memories. Hypnotic and philosophical, a masterful recipe.

===@}~

===@}~ :)

UPDATE:

The more I smoke this, the better it suits me. This is not a classical English/Balkan mixture but I think it's destined to become a classic oriental. The McClelland blenders are true artisans and I think this, quite frankly, is one of their most inspired creations. Updating from 3 to a hearty 4 stars. Well done, McClellands!

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Reliance on reviews is always dangerous, particularly if the writers biases are unknown in advance. Readers should note that while I think McClellands virginias are without peer in the tobacco world, I find their orientals rather ordinary. Until now, none of their oriental blends would find their way into my Top 20 of english/balkan style tobaccos.

But this one is very interesting indeed! I'm not at all familiar with Basma tobacco so I can't say if that's the kicker here but there is a particular sweetness and creaminess in this blend that, while unusual for my English tastes, is a nice change of pace. My tastes run towards Dunhill 965, SG Squadron Leader and Rattrays Red Rapparee; this tastes nothing like those. More aromatic oriental than latakia-laden, this would be a nice all day smoke... or at least until after dinner when a headier brew might be desired. McClellands has produced a very distinct and tasty blend with this one, and by far more to my taste than the other Frogmortons, all the while being so far away from my normal taste in balkan blends. Weird. In a good way. I'm going to keep this around the tobacco bar.

DerekSmartymans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DerekSmartymans (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Of the four Frog Morton blends, On the Town is my personal favorite. It presents in the tin with approximately 60% dark black tobaccos and 40% light and dark brown ribbon cut tobaccos. One immediately notices the tin aroma on opening On the Town, a strong hint of caramel and cream tickles the nose with many promising odors. Smoking FM:OtT is a fine experience: voluminous whitish-blue smoke, a sweet fruitiness I can only assume comes from the Basma. Not having much other experience with Basma, I can only guess that this tobacco is what makes me enjoy this pipe tobacco as much as I do. The tobacco doesn't burn the tongue at all, and leaves a distinctly sweet tone on the palate. I list the strength at medium because I notice a slight buzz in my mouth whenever I smoke it. Same for the taste...the sweetness sometimes outshines the smokiness of the Latakias, but that flavor is what makes this tobacco shine in the first place. The room note is pleasant, with none of the harsh chemical smell of some other tobaccos or flavored aromatics. I highly recommend this tobacco to my pipe smoking friends (all 3 of them) as a break from aromatics or heavier blends.

birdseye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
birdseye (15)

I have smoked and thoroughly enjoyed all the Frog Mortons (among other excellent McClelland mixtures) but Frog Morton on the Town has turned out to be my favorite. The only problem is that I find I want to smoke it all the time to the neglect of all the other and varied good blends I've stashed away. I don't like to compare tobacco to food as a rule but this Frog is delicious, like the finest of lighter French cuisine. The wonderful creamy taste of the latakia with its oriental sauce is exquisite and remains so throughout the smoke- and pipe after pipe. I agree with another reviewer that it tends to taste better fresh from the tin, rather than letting it dry out. If I only were allowed to smoke just one mixture, Frog Morton on the Town would be my choice.

Benjamin Button Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin Button (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say I am definitely impressed with this blend. The tin aroma is best described as somewhere between incense and a very peaty scotch. Reminds me of Laphroiac very much, for anyone that is familiar with that Scotch.

The tobacco straight from the tin had a nice moisture level (the tin date was from 06 unless I misread it). It felt fairly dry but not crisp. For my first bowl I set a small amount out on a towel for about 10 minutes and then proceeded to pack my meerschaum using the Frank method. From the charring light I enjoyed the flavor, and detecting some spiciness which I had yet to experience from a tobacco (mind you, I have only smoked aromatics up until this point). After the true light I began to really detect the flavor of the tobacco. The one thing that struck me odd was the smell of the initial burn from light. It smelled like bad body odor. Haha, that is the best way I can describe it. Anyone else experience this? After a few minutes this toned down and the room note became more incense like.

The flavors of FMOTT were fantastic! Unlike anything I've experienced. I could detect some nice smokiness and spicy notes, which I assume were from the latakia, but intertwined in there was a sweet taste that seemed to stay throughout the smoke. It was a consistent smoke all the way through to the bottom. I loved it. Not once did this tobacco bite and I only had to re-light once. After I was finished I was left with a sweet almost coffee like aftertaste in my mouth. No dry mouth or anything. For at least three hours after the bowl I enjoyed this flavor. Again, I loved it.

Since that first bowl I smoked FMOTT again another night but left the tobacco out to dry for about an hour (I got side tracked and caught up in a few other things). When I went to smoke I did not experience a lot of the same effects from the first experience. The tobacco tasted rather bland and did not do much for me. The next time I smoked it, I did not dry it at all and just packed a bowl straight from the tin. I was treated to the wonderful experience of the first smoke and all the flavors were there again. I would recommend NOT letting this sit out for long before smoking.

4 Stars.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

OK, so I'm trying to get this straight: according to Pipedia, the species 'Turkish' and 'Basma' are both members of the genus 'Oriental,' which also includes regional varieties such as Yenidje, Izmir, Xanthe, and even Latakia, which is flavored with smoke, and consists of the subspecies Cyrian and Syrian...my brain hurts. I think I'll sooth it with what is currently my favorite 'Latakia/Oriental/Turkish' blend, FMotT (Hoppincroakus Delicius).

Specifics aside, McClelland does 'Oriental' right: Complex, subtle and mysterious...on a par with the alchemist Pease. As my mind clears, I recall that I can buy McClelland's various orientals individually, which I am doing, as we speak. Thank you once again, sweet frog, for taking me to that shining city on the hill! (Daddy loves Froggie. Froggie love Daddy? ribbet...ribbet...ribbet) : j

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (30)
Mild Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Upon opening this unique pull top tin, the sweet and delicious odour of my favorite boston cream donut wafted in the air. The tobacco was extremely fresh and had a fluffy texture. As for the strength of the tobacco, the smoke was smooth and had no harsh effect whatsoever. The taste is much more difficult to describe, it contains a flavour that I've never detected before,possibly Basma? The only tobacco I could compare it to would be blatter reserve, without the peppery taste of perique. On the downside,the tobacco produces a smoke that lacks body and may require an above average number of relights if not packed with extreme care. Nevertheless, this is an incredible mixture that I will always try to keep on hand.

August 2008 Update: Although a good blend, I find it to be a little too humid, generating unpleasant steam at times. This is a characteristic that seems to be prevalent with McClelland tobaccos. I would classify this tobacco as a hybrid aromatic that is a good introduction to english blends.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)

This blend is a very mild and smooth smoke. Nothing much to see here. A good introduction to English blends, but nothing to write home about.

threepipeproblem101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
threepipeproblem101 (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I liked FMOTT, while I agree with some that this blend lacks a bit, I found it to be a pleasent smoke. It is a good blend while you sip your morning coffee, or in the late afternoon as you relax in the shade to escape the heat, and on occasion a nice midnight smoke while you stare at the beautiful girl at the next table. It is a great lazy blend, something to smoke when you all you want to do is sit back in your chair and stare. In addition I have received numerous positive comments about the odor from women, which in my world means a lot. Overall, I do recommend this and will probably always have a couple of tins on hand.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton is an extremely nice Latakia based tobacco. After my first bowl I thought it was a little weak for my tastes but I decided that it is a nice all day smoke and also a good one for those hot summer days where heavy and strong tobacco is not as pleasant. For me this is a definite morning and day smoke in the evenings I like a heavy Virginia with perique, Latakia, or oriental.

OTT has a that nice smoky flavor and texture but I was surprised to find some sweet notes intertwined through out the bowl.

Overall it's a tobacco that you should at least try and I will probably always have a tin or two laying around.

parris001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parris001 (8)

I have Frog Morton on the Bayou in my rotation, and when I saw this on the shelf at a local smoke shop I picked it up. This blend makes good for an all day smoke. I don't claim to be an expert on Basma as I've never had it anywhere else before, but there is a gentle sweetness imparted to this blend (Basma? don't know) that is a refreshing change of pace when compared to artificial tasting toppings. Always mild, on every front. Not as full flavored as some of my more highly rated English blends but definitely a winner. You can dig in the garden all day long while smoking On the Town, the nicotine level just enough to keep you mellow and the wife will never accuse you of smoking smoking camel droppings. The only thing keeping this from rating 4 stars is that it is mild on all fronts. That's not a bad thing, there are times when this blend will meet your every need.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an extremely pleasant tasting tobacco -- it's sort of a light Balkan, more complex than the original FM and not quite as sweet. I enjoy it every now and then, but I have the same complaint with FMOTT that I have with FM: it's so mild that I have a hard time enjoying it. Every draw, every bowl leaves me wanting more, but not in a good way. It's kind of frustrating, as this is otherwise a top-notch blend with incredible flavor. Other folks really like it, however, and I suspect the problem is that I prefer more robust smokes (hence the 3-star rating instead of 2). As with the original FM, this would probably be a perfect introductory blend for those just switching over to English/Balkans from, say, aromatics.

UPDATE: As with the original Frog Morton, I'm upgrading this blend a star. It really grew on me after awhile. This is a top-notch blend, and I'm tempted to call it a LIGHT Balkan for lack of a better workd. It's nothing like most Balkans in that it's not complex at all and delivers a very monochromatic flavor, but that flavor is a delightful combination of Orientals and Latakia with a hint of Va. It's still too mild for me to smoke often, but there are times when this really hits the spot.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a delicious, uniquely mellow-sweet English mixture that has earned a permanent place in my cellar.

My experience with Basma is limited, so I cannot say whether that Oriental leaf is responsible for the sweetness in this blend or if an additional sweetening agent is present. If the latter, it sits so perfectly in the blend -- and adds nothing objectionable -- that it cannot be faulted. Unlike an artifical topping, the sweetness remains for the entire bowl. If the Basma is the responsible party for this delightful feature, it is unique among Orientals, in my experience.

I'm an English/Oriental/Balkan fan. This one works for me. . . and works very well.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice combination of Latakia and Orientals in the English blend 'tradition', and another winner in the Frog Morton series. The Latakia presence is never overwhelming, and the Oriental/Turkish components lend a subtle spicyness that adds depth to this offering. Burns well, right down to a distinctive white ash. A great medium strength blend that can be enjoyed as an all-day smoke.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From the tin, the tobacco is not very moist and not sticky. It has a light raisiny, ketchup smell. It is mostly ribbon, with wide and square cut. Half is black, with brown, and small amounts of orange/yellow. It packs easily.

The taste is slightly fruity with a rather sweet topping, and an overall smoky Latakia quality. There is a fruity chocolate note and mildly spicy Basma. It is not nearly as sweet FMATP.

The second third of the bowl has a bittersweet chocolate taste and aroma, but it is mostly a Latakia aroma with a touch of a cigarette element.

The aroma and taste is a cross between FM AND FMATP.

Sometimes, the first third of the bowl has gurgle. If too much tobacco is used in a large bowl, moisture builds up in the heel, leaving a small wet dottle. Leaving the tobacco to dry, still leaves a small wet dottle.

There is no tongue bite.

Being mild in strength, this could become your all-day smoke.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This latakia blend is a winner - that simple. Yes, the latakia is bold and dominates, but that's the point I think. There is a spice topping that lasts throughout the bowl. I like it whatever it is, and it keeps the smoke from being dull. As I finished the tin, I liked this blend more and more and will re-order in the future.

I get no burn or bite with this blend which I think is also the point. If you are looking for a strong English, this is not it. This is not comparable to Night Cap or similar blends (nor is it meant to be) and such comparisons miss the point entirely - apples and oranges.

This is a latakia lovers blend with a light spice. Enjoy.

4 stars --- solid!!

Thanks,

Ethan

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

My sample has a date of ?01 stamped on the bottom. This is a very smooth tobacco, smokey, flavorful, and well balanced. The oriental flavor comes through intensely at times, however it usually finds its niche nestled amongst the other flavors. It is not as intense of Oriental #6, or Arcadia, just a great, balanced oriental blend. It is not a tobacco that bites, nor does it change much throughout the bowl. This is a good thing at the top, but I find that I miss the flavor build typical of a virginia tobacco. I like this tobacco. I?m working my way slowly through the tin as I occasionally sample it in different pipes. It?s a little too mild for my meerschaum, which still is absorbing flavors, but works very well in a large-bowled Tinsky Canadian briar, and in a homemade pecan with a graphite bowl.

Friar Phil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Friar Phil (1)

I am adding my review to the mix to cover the need for input from newby smokers. I was a cigar smoker who wanted to transition into pipes. I was looking for a tobacco that was mild like a shade grown cigar but not flavored with vanilla or some other sweet artificial flavor. I went to a local tobacco shop and was told that no pipe tobacco was mild except for flavored blends. I purchased the local cavendish at the almost demand of the guy behind the counter. I hated it. So I struck out on my own. I found this site and others and setteld on trying a mild english blend. My first try was FMOTT. I chose wisely. This is exactly what I was looking for in a pipe tobacco.

This tobaco is mild yet very complex in flavor. It has a mild natural sweetness that reminds me of a certain $10 shadegrown cigar from Ashton. There is a nice subtle spice that keeps it from being to tame and it's mildness and pleasing room note made it a hit with my wife. I highly recomend this tobacco to newby smokers and to people transitioning from aromatics or from cigars. Thanks to everyone on this site who helped me.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

During the day, I often crave a light, English style blend. FMOTT fits the bill, perfectly.

Unlike any blend I've ever smoked, this one is light yet smokey, with just the right amount of sweetness. The orientals play a perfect part in this remarkable concoction.

A real winner and permanent player in my rotation.

A must try for all smokers.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (24)

Frog Morton on the Town is a great medium English. When I'm not feeling up for any blend in particular, this is my go-to. Very easy to smoke, easy to pack, and it yields a medium-bodied strength that always tastes great. Whenever my friends and I step out to smoke this, one of us always says, "damn, this is a great middle- of-the-road English."

I will probably keep Frog Morton on the Town around for those evenings when I feel like smoking a pipe, but haven't got any particular blend in mind. It never disappoints, and it might not be a huge, standout blend, but that works in this blend's favor for me. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.

EDIT - On revisiting, I'm finding the sweetness to be overbearing. The quality is definitely there, but it's just not to my tastes anymore. Two stars.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The beauty of this blend is in the perfect balance of Oriental tobaccos. Latakia is added with a light touch and never dominates. Large, long ribbons of tobacco with no small pieces.

A wonderful mild English blend in every regard? perhaps the finest in that style on the market. Well worth the premium price of tins.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

FMOTT is a tobacco deserving of 4 stars. It's light, elegant, and enjoyable enough to include in the rotation. For obvious reasons, I smoke burley blends in public, and the heavy English blends in private. This is a latakia blend you can take in public and not hear a "What are you smoking?" "On the Town" is an appropriate name.

Upon opening the tin, it seemed kinda moist. I packed a bowl anyway, and it behaved just fine. Dry and white ash.

The latakia fiends will find FMOTT too weak, but judged on its own merits, an amazing tobacco. From my perspective, not every tobacco needs to knock me out. Light, subtle, and smooth are sometimes preferred. It fits in that light English category with blends like C&D Old Hollywood and Altadis Fox&Hound. It is the most consistent in this category because it's taste and burning qualities from lighting till the bottom of the bowl don't waver.

Another winner from McClelland.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

YUM! I am a fan of the Frog. Like them all. I used to save the Frog blends for special occasions. Not anymore. Smoke them all day long, every day. The Frog on the Town has joined those ranks. Wonderful taste, mild, smooth, rich....I dont have enough superlatives for all the Frogs.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Pleasant, not terrific, Frog Morton on the Town is too light for me. I was hoping for a Latakia heavy oriental blend and found this lighter than I was expecting. I will continue to smoke it from time to time in hopes it will grow on me.

Might be a good introduction into oriental tobacco, for the novice pipe smoker. Or, as others have mentioned a good morning smoke.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this is a medium strength latakia mix with a very pleasant creamy taste that retains true tobacco flavor and stays consistent from charring light to the bottom of the bowl. definitely an all-day smoke that would also be a good starting point for a new pipe smoker who wants to try a latakia mixture. it packs easily and does not require a lot of relights, although it is a fairly moist blend, as are most McClellands. the room note is better than average for a latakia blend. another four star tobacco that deserves your consideration.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

I love the FM series, because it is a reliable and enjoyable tobacco. FMOTT is no different. This one has a bit more Latakia and Oriental tobacco in it than the others. The serves to make it a darker, zestier smoke. I enjoy this blend's creamy, sweat and spicy flavor that is certainly satisfying. It doesn't become overbearing that other English blends do after a while. This is worth four stars for dependability. It may not be the star quarterback of tobaccos, but it is certainly the reliable full back that will always convert that short yardage third down situation. You can never go wrong with the Frog and once again, the presentation is just as nice as the smoke.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Maybe for a long-time English smoker this tobacco would be a bit on the mild or even boring side. For someone who enjoys a wide variety of tastes in tobacco, or for a newer smoker, this stuff is the shiznit.

Quite a bit more "English" than Frog Morton - this product has a much more complex flavour profile including some high class orientals.

Sweeter than, say, Presbyterian, and also a little heavier in body, due to the latakia, this is still a very mild tobacco, and easily an all-day smoke for many, I'm sure.

Certainly worth a try, just to prove that not all McClelland's tobaccos smell like ketchup.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)

Just brilliant ! Always a tin of this fine blend around my house. As a side line - splendid tin design for keeping tobacco..and great froggy art !

Aroma on opening is well balanced and rounded.Packs easily and so easy to light and smoke.

Sitting on a quiet afternoon with a bowl of FMOTT is relaxing, peaceful and dreamy. Classy without arrogance. POSH without a ship in sight !!

Goes well with a glass of sherry before supper and rounds off a night with a fine port also.

May the frog have many evenings out on the town for years to come.

Another excellent McClelland blend.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

Frog Morton on the Town is one of the better mild Oriental-style mixtures I've tried. When you pop open the top of its tin, FMOTT is instantly identifiable as a McClelland product, but the ketchupy aroma quickly diminishes, and the tobacco gradually assumes a pleasant spicy scent. That spiciness comes through in the smoke, with hints of cinnamon, clove and cocoa. The smooth, smoky Latakia lends a pleasing counterpoint to the spicy Orientals and never overshadows them. It's a deliciously complex blemd, similar to McClelland's Bulk No. 2045 Oriental, but FMOTT is a tad milder and more subdued. I find that FMOTT smokes better if it's packed a little more loosely; if tightly packed, it doesn't want to stay lit. For me, FMOTT isn't an everday smoke, but something to enjoy twice a week or so. It's especially suitable for a leisurely after-dinner pipe. In the illustration on the label, Frog Morton looks as if he's almost overcome by a nicotine blast from his On the Town mixture, but it really isn't all that potent. The room note isn't unpleasant, and has hints of the blend's spicy character.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

Having tried a couple of McClelland bulk tobaccos, and seeing reviews saying they were similar to some of the frogs, I decided to try Frog Morton On The Town. I think the "cat food" type tin with the plastic snap lid is great. The aroma from the tin was very similar to Peterson's Old Dublin (my favorite tinned tobacco), but a little milder. After a few minutes of airing, the moisture level was right for smoking. FMOTT packs well, ;ights easily, and burns cool and complete. The flavor, IMHO, could be compared to Old Dublin light. I experienced no tongue bite, no gurgling and, when finished,was rewarded with a clean, dry pipe. Definitely an addition to this pipester's ever growing list of regular blends. Recommended to the smoker of heavy VA and VA/PER blends looking for the occasional change of pace blend. Also, very good starting blend for a new smoker or the aromatic smoker that wants to try English blends.

bl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bl (8)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A fantastic English blend, and it would also be a great intro to those who are looking to try latakia. It burns cool, has a nice lightly sweet taste, and a nice aroma. After smoking an entire 100g tin of this it has become one of my favorites.

cavendish guru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cavendish guru (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It doesn't matter where the Frog is. Going into the opera when he's on the town, or standing somewhere in water,Frog Morton is a champion. I tried this as a second experience to latakia.A fine blend indeed.I can't wait to try the rest of the family. I was never into folklore or non fiction stories about LSD trips, until I experienced the fine blends of Frog Morton. God this is great. I love the smell and taste, even if the wife complains

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

For a light blend, this is the only one I have actualy stored up on. Fantastic, exotic latakia flavor and room note. Great for early morning and late nights when you don't want nicotine to mess with your sleep. The balsma in this makes it really unique. If you want more nicotine, try Peterson's Old Dublin. Taste is virtually identical to my palate, but stronger nicotine.

pyroboby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pyroboby (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

After trying FMATP i was very intrigued about the other blends and purchased several tins to just stash away for a while. The tin of FMOTT that i opened had about a year of age plus whatever it had from the store. Having now smoked several bowls( enjoying one right now) i have to say this is a great smoke. It isnt as sweet as its across the pond brother but is much smokier. I can smoke this blend while working and have yet to experienced any bite at all. While im sure there are other blends that are much stronger out there, this is just fine for me. It is a smooth and almost creamy smoke with the latakia jumping in with subtle notes on and off. I would recommend this to anyone to at least try.

Cosmoline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cosmoline (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been experimenting with various blends for smoking while out of doors or hiking. So far Frog Morton On the Town tops my list. It has a fine flavor with mild latakia undertones. It does not bite or overpower. However, unlike many blends specifically designed to be cool, this one has lovely layered tastes that hold up even with the wind blowing and other scents in the air. It also works well in the small-bowl pipes I go hiking with. It's a fantastic blend.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It took me a long time to become acquainted with the Frog Mortin series. I like the can labels but thought than they indicated a blend of questionable character. I was wrong... This is a wonderful blend that captures the attention and imagination of the smoker. Sublime sweetness coupled with an earthy flavor suggest the educated blender's hand. I find this variety of Oriental leaf to be of superior grade and well worth the time spent smoking it. The Latakia gives support to the Oriental but does not take the superior position. The visual presentation is one of mostly dark browns with lighter colored leaf spread through out. I highly recommend this blend to all who enjoy a complex but soft Oriental mixture. This one's a keeper and worth your time all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Cherrywood Style Altinok Smooth Poker

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Waiting for my can of Frog Morton to arrive I picked up a few of the related blends in this series, Frog Morton on the Town being the first in my adventures into the Frog.

Tin Aroma: Before even opening this can, I noted the beauty of the can, very lovely indeed. Cracking the can revealed a rasiny ketchup smell.

Start: Yum.

Mid-Bowl: Yummy.

Finish: After smoking three bowls: This is some yummy weed...period. A mild smoking pleasure that could easily become an all day smoke for me. No special details to note here, for me, but just an over arching theme of yummy goodness. A pleasure to meet the Frog. It would seem that this might be a good smoke to introduce my aromatic friends to. Overall, a pleasurable smoke and one I am going to keep in rotation and in full supply.

mdnghtramblr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnghtramblr (7)

This is only my second real foray into English blends; the first was with Nightcap, and that was a disaster. In no way was I prepared for the smokiness and strength of that blend. However, here I was pleasantly surprised. The blend was mild, and the tin smell was very pleasant, nothing like the burning campfire smell that slapped me in the face with Nightcap. It was a very cool smoking blend, no bite, and I took it nice and easy. I would recommend this blend for anyone looking for a gentle intro to English blends. It's a keeper.

PipeNeophyte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeNeophyte (10)
Strong Strong Full Strong

This is definitely one of my favorite blends! Excellent for when you want a serious tobacco with lots of punch that isn't too overwhelming. If you don't generally like latakia but want to learn how to, this is a good "trainer" blend... I've converted several of my friends with it.

Like I said in my "on the Bayou" review, if you own that and this, you'll be a happy smoker regardless of your mood.

Joseph Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph Durham (16)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Frog Morton on the Town is much different than the Original or on the Bayou. If you are looking for that same exciting smoke that you got from the previous two, do not expect it from this one. While this is a wonderful blend, it is extremely mild; somewhat bland.

The tin is decorated wonderfully with Frog standing at his post, pipe in cheek, puffing away. When the tin is opened you get a small whiff of the tobacco. It?s not until you take it out and handle it that you can really catch the odor. It?s not moist at all, it?s just right.

As with the others in this series, this blend lights right up. There will not be several re-lights. While the tobacco is burning, pay attention to the aroma in the room. This is blandest blends in the Morton series and will have a very pleasant room note. It?s not strong; it?s not very noticeable either. But, there is no tongue bite.

If you are going out to a fancy restaurant and can?t seem to go without your pipe, take Frog Morton on the Town. People will see the pipe and love it without having to scrunch there nose at the aroma, and you can enjoy a puff.

This is definitely a keeper, one that will be smoked, but not as often as the others. Who knows, this may get better with age, as most tobaccos do.

Another keeper.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Basma and Turkish dominate this blend. A good morning smoke as it has no really strong flavors. Will not be loved by those who prefer a heavy or prominent Latakia flavor. This tobacco offering from McClelland is truly something different. Four stars if you really like Oriental tobacs. If you shy away from the Turkish-type smokes, about two stars. No vinegar smell either! My tin is two years old according to the date stamped on the bottom of the tin.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is a truely wonderful smoke, zero tongue bite...slightly sweet, burns well, and stays consistantly good from the first puff till you dump the ash...wonderful.

I wish it were available in bulk, as I would buy pounds of it.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke this one in the winter on ocassion but it seems to grow old quickly. I'm not the biggest fan of the oriental leaf and that is after all a feature of this version of the froggie. It s a smooth creamy smoke with nary a bite and worthy of a trial at least. As for me I'll probably stick to the original. But give it a try its a well liked blend!

KScelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KScelt (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Really an interesting blend IMOP. Not actually strong, but quite flavorful in a multi-dimensional sort of way. At times noticing the mustiness (good musty like the peat in scotch), at times the somewhat herbal / spicy notes, and at other times picking up more of the latikia. All of these against a base that suprised me with it's sweetness, I thought it would have more austere English undercurrents.

It was perhaps a bit on the moist side requiring frequent re-lites, but that can be cured easily enough, and it responded well to this anyway - picking right back up where it left off, with no ashiness. I think I could smoke alot of this. If only they made it available in bulk.

pipe dreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dreams (15)

Another great offering from the frog. This one can be smoked more often than the original frog, although I prefer the original (only slightly), as 'on the town' is easier on My throat. I find a lot of depth to this one as the latakia mixes so very nicely with the oriental. Looking forward to laying a tin or two down for a while as I believe this one will age well. A very pleasurable smoke here.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to agree with UncleGar on this one. There is somewhat of a bittersweet dark chocolate taste to this. It is distracting me from my usual blends as well. Someone had recommended that I try across the pond first and it was allright but I picked up a tin of this and WOW!! I have smoked this exclusively for a week now and absolutely love this stuff. I have tried it in many different size pipes and it does well in all of them. I typically end up smoking it all day long in a mid sized meerschaum. It burns perfectly all the way down and leaves you with a fine light grey ash. I usually only have to relight once about 2/3 of the way down the bowl. For the most part the room note does not offend (but who cares!!). It seems to me to be a light english/oriental blend and I would very highly recommend everyone to give this sophisticated frog a try, you wont be disapointed, I promise!!

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

this is a great english blend.i fell in love on the first bowlfull.it has a nice latakia smell and taste.i could smoke it all day (and i have).it packs well,stays lite,and burns down to a nice gray ash.i think the room note is great.if your looking for a lighter latakia blend,this is it.i will keep this one on hand,and cellar a few tins.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Frog Morton on the Town is a McClelland gem! To the opera indeed--a perfect compliment to a black tie affair (or even while shovelling some Margate onto the pasture). Certainly, the Three Tenors never knew a better gargle for their voices. I had a long travel day, when I first tried this, and the tediousness of my adventures was made glorious because of these frog legs. This is a quintessential all-day smoke. It is admittedly mild, but bounds in flavour and had me hopping from each lily pad on my way with the sheer giddiness of a schoolboy. It even went well with my Chai Latte. It was totally the basis of the reviews here that led me to this amphibian. Cheers to you all! There is an earthy, sweet, smokiness to this weed that has made it an every day, all day smoke. I will keep this around as a daily and will purchase all three of the frog's relatives in the very near future. More to come.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree wholeheartedly with the esteemed emmbee above me. I will only add that OTT has no bite. I tried to provoke it to no avail. The key to this blend just might be the basma. Whatever, it?s now one of my favorites as well.

I rate this tobacco 9.3 out of 10.

If you are going to try the Frog Morton Series get this one, it is the best of the lot.I like an aromatic English and this fits the bill.It has a natural nutty sweetness with a smoky latakia undertone to it.A very somplex blend that explodes with flavor and remains consistent throughout the bowl.It is really quite unique in thst you taste latakia yet it does not overpower the blend.The room note is that of a non-aromatic with a slightly natural sweetness.This is a winner.Get some and try it soon. You will be impressed.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Being that I normally smoke much heavier latakia blends, FMOTT is a very mild to medium alternative for me. Upon opening the tin, the McClelland trademark katsup smell is present, albeit a lot more subtle than with their straight VA's.

Packs easy, smokes smooth and has no tounge bite. The basma spicyness dominates as the latakia only subtly pokes through at times. All in all, this is a mild to med blend depending on hard you puff, with a slight complexity in flavor.

This would be a good transitional blend for aromatic fanciers who are wanting to try an oriental/latakia blend that is not overpowering. For those times when a smooth smoking semi complex flavor is what one wants, this is a good blend to fit the bill.

All things considered, I give it 4 out 4. It's a great mild to medium oriental/latakia blend with a good flavor and aroma that can be enjoyed anytime inside or out.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This stuff is really distracting me from my usuals! I particularly like the bittersweet dark chocolate taste I get. Best frog of the three, IMO. A great smoke.

Update 7/13: 10 year old tin, open for 3, in a medium Ehrlich horn is easily one of my top 5 smokes of the year. Added a star. I pity those who don't 'get it'.

There are more Frogs now, Bayou and Cellar. Cellar is next.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a Mellow kind of FM like the original this should make many people happy. It is soft and not too spicey or too bland it is more complex than FM but not still very midle of the raod for this kind of blend. I dont think it stands out so much but is has good quaity and might be liked by some. Just not my kind of thing I think you can find a similar blend by many other blenders now that there is so much out there to chose from. Good but not right for me.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very similar to Frog Morton: visually there are more light-colored bits than in the original blend, but I don't find the taste to be much different. Perhaps it's less sweet and a bit more smoky (more Latakia), but the difference is very subtle. Again, it's a very soft blend. Typically stoved.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

The first tin I tried of this didn?t really blow me away. It seemed like regular Frog Morton with the Virginia kicked up a notch, to the point where they really took away from the smoky mellowness of the original Frog.

Then one day I stumbled into a cigar shop that had a token shelf of pipe tobacco. Mostly bulk blends, but there were about half a dozen dust-covered tins there, too. Among these was a tin of FMOTT dated 1998. I couldn?t pass up a tin with six years of age on it, so I decided to give Frog on the Town another shot. Definitely glad I did. The years had been kind to the Frog. Any harshness I had experienced with my first tin was gone. Instead I found a smooth, mellow blend with lots of flavor. The bright yellows I remembered from the first tin had mellowed and darkened into chocolate-covered browns. It tasted like the original Frog but with many new depths and added dimensions. If you?re one of those people who complain that Frog Morton is too monochromatic for your tastes, then buy some FMOTT, put it away for as many years as you can manage, and you will be richly rewarded.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I would consider FMOTT to be an English/Aromatic.

The room note can offend some, this one is more for the person smoking it than for the people around him/her.

I didn't detect any added flavoring. The Basma makes for a very interesting taste. There is a nice Latakia taste in there too, though it isn't the dominant taste. This is just a very pleasant tobacco to smoke. Very smooth, totally unique taste.

I recommend it to anyone - because I believe most aromatic smokers could appreciate the Frog as well as dedicated English smokers.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Two words sum up this blend: Dark and full. Frog Morton OTT is a full, heavy smoke without being overbearing. The room note is suprisingly mellow. If you're a fan of orientals, this is a blend not to be missed.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hey! My girlfriend likes the room note! So, what? There's a lot of other tobaccos I smoke that she doesn't. Interesting because those are usually Latakia blends. It's always nice to please somebody (My sister likes the RN of Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture). The most important thing is how we, the smoker, like the taste and, above all, the combination of all the "ratings" that we post. This one is a winner. It's one of the most pleasant blends of it's type I've smoked. I originally bought tins of this to please my girlfriend so she would let me smoke in her house. That worked. Now, I smoke it for myself. It has become my morning pipe after playing second fiddle to Elizabethan Mixture. I occasionally smoke it in the evening, too. Why not? The so called "Basma" tobacco, from what I hear is the generic crap that is left over after the cigarette manufacurers buy up most of the leaf. Wonder how this would be if that wasn't the case. Anyway, the Basma comes out at times giving me a fruity, gentle nuance, to counter the stonger Latakia and Orientals. Everytime I load up a pipe of this, it seems to be slightly, and noticably diffent in a subtle way. I'm always pulled back to this tobacco. It's not uncommon for me to smoke back to back bowls of it. If that's the case, the second bowl is just a little wetter than the first, but a few pipe cleaners solve any concerns. I think this is a little less moist than the original Frog Morton, so that pays off in the second bowl. I wouldn't find myself attempting a second bowl of other mixtures that are similar. That is, not in the same pipe. My combination for this lately has been with a Ser Jacapo Prince. Seems to be at it's best in a slightly wider bowl. I just want to end with saying that this is one of the best McClelland blends I've tried besides the original Frog Morton. Seems like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great. However, Frog Morton on the Town would be an excellent tobacco for the new English smoker. Great for breaking in pipes, too. Highly, highly recommended!!!

Butch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Butch (7)

What's not to like? It's fragrant and tasty. Sure, the ketchup smell is a little funky at first, but you can't argue with success. This is an aromatic that does not overpower, does not ruin a fine briar, and will give an English man a sweet alternative. I drop in a few strands of Old Ironsides when I'm in the mood, but this Frog dances quite well on his own!

As an added value, the cans come in handy to store other blends that may dry out fast.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another Froggy winner. The dominant flavor is Latakia, but that can be said of almost any blend that contains Latakia. What makes this different is that it has a strong Latakia taste sweetened by the orientals/turkish, and blended so that it produces the most delightful creamy, round smoke. It isn't, to my taste, an English blend; it's far too sweet for that.

Unless you are positively allergic to Latakia, you should try this. Even if you think you don't like Latakia, this may change your mind. If you do like Latakia then you'll find a unique non-English Latakia blend.

Brother Buford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Buford (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

After having gotten back into pipe smoking recently after a three to four year hiatus I decided to try something other than the heavily cased aromatic bulk tobaccos I had smoked previously. This blend is a good one to start with for the aromatic smoker looking to expand his horizons as it is not overly threatening to the smoker unused to latakia. The oriental in it gives it a light sweetness while not being overly sweet or cloying as is the case with some aromatic tobaccos, and the latakia content gives it a nice body and taste that lasts until the bottom of the bowl. There is a bit of a gurgle problem starting about halfway through the bowl, but this may be due to me and not the tobacco. The smell of the tobacco in the tin may be a little offputting to those accustomed to sweeter-smelling tobaccos, but I personally like the woodsy smell. I have been informed by my girlfriend that the room note isn't particularly to her liking but is tolerable, but it leaves my beard smelling similar to that of cigarette smoke. This may not be one of the better indoor smokes if you are around non-smokers for that reason, but I personally like the smell of it as it burns. Of the tobaccos I have tried to this point, FMOTT is my current favorite. Of my pipes (all of which are the cheaper varieties), I have found it to smoke the best out of an Irish Seconds bent which I have pretty much dedicated to this one blend.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

Frog Morton on the Town (FMOTT) is a significant improvement over its progenitor, Frog Morton (FM). Given their common ancestry, it seems natural to compare the two.

While I do enjoy FM, it often tastes "washed out" to me. Though I am not exactly sure what is in FM besides a smallish dollop of latakia, I suspect that it has a lot of cavendish, given its dark hue. FMOTT, with its relatively high oriental content, is a much lighter color overall with much of the cavendish (essentially flavorless) replaced by spicy Basma.

This is not to suggest that FMOTT is lighter in body. It is much spicier in that oriental sort of way. In fact, I would probably call this an "oriental" blend rather than a "latakia" blend. I am not convinced, as suggested by other reviewers, that FMOTT has less latakia than FM, but rather that it has much more dimensionality, wherein the latakia is just one among many.

This seems to come in the tin a tad bit drier than FM, but that is not saying much. It still needs some "air time". In the last third of the bowl, the latakia comes into the foreground and FMOTT does not suffer from that end-of-the-bowl bitterness that orientals can give a blend. This rates well in my book as a light/medium English blend. It does not have enough latakia to play with the big boys.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an outstanding tobacco, one of the finest I smoke. I love the sweet & sour flavor, melody and counterpoint, of the Virginias and Orientals. The Latakia is in there, but a pleasant background harmony, not the main lyric. It is a well controlled, sophistacted blend. Most highly recommended.

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Ever happened to you that you bought a tobacco just for a change and when you opened the tin you fell in love? Well that's what happened to me with this blend. It was exactly what I was looking for: a well balanced not-too-strong blend of Turkish (Basma), Latakia and, I think a third which adds sweetness. Absolutely impeccable balance. Not too moist and an underlying sweetness that allows you to appreciate the smokiness of the Latakia and the spiciness of the Turkish while enjoying a wonderful roomnote without worrying about tongue bite.

The 100 gr. tin holds black, brownish and lighter tobacco (Latakia, Basma and the third one respectively). You can smell all of them distinctly before lighting up. The tobacco is moist as any aromatic, but it doesn't exceed for even at the end of the bowl the pipe can be kept quite dry, (provided you didn't puff too nervously).

The tobacco packs well and lights decently easily. The Latakia is evident as soon as you light up, but it never overwhelms the other two components. The third tobacco (Virginia?) provides an underlying sweetness which is best appreciated at mid-bowl and is very pleasant.

There is absolutely no risk of tongue bite, at least as far I have seen, and I can be a pretty fast paced pipesmoker.

A great blend for all day smoke, and an excellent English!

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, being a conscientious smoker, I agree this is a blend the Frog would want to take to the opera to avoid those sideways looks and "subtle" coughs the cultured ladies might give if they walked through a puff from a stronger blend.

A quality concoction that I will keep on hand for just such emergencies. While mild to medium in strength and taste, the condiment tobaccos will keep you interested.

Would highly recommend this to anyone just starting to explore the english blends.

Shagrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shagrat (4)

All the positive reviews are well deserved. I've tried this in everything from a calabash, a Tyrolian pipe, to the usual variety of briars, small ones, big ones...you name it, and this version of Froggie smokes nicely in all of them. It's a cool smoke for gently breaking in that new Savinelli Autograph you just traded your Chevette for. The Latakia is not overpowering. It's outlined by the Basma. I occasionally take a little waltz with the light peach and fume blanc of Poschl Tabak's Blue Train, then follow it up with FM On the Town's stroll to the opera. This one won't disappoint unless you have the palate of a Stegosaurus. Moisture is manageable, and it takes tamping well. Tongue bite is negligible to nonexistent. Because this one is such a treat to smoke, I don't give a rip what kind of "room note" it has. Very nice indeed.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is some pretty mild stuff. The orientals stand out the most, you can barely notice the latakia (at least when I smoke it, but...) I was a complete newbie when I first tried this blend, so it wasn't necessarily to my liking right off the bat. I sort of ho-hummed it. As I had it again, I appreciated it very much, having a newfound understanding of these blends.

This one is pretty good. Not to mention cool-smoking, and something you can have as your constant companion throughout the day if you were so inclined.

A fine tobacco from a fine company. What more can I say?

gnome48 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnome48 (2)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have been reading all of the reviews and thought i would throw in my two cents. This tobacco is fantastic. I also like some of the heavier English blends, but really like fmott for its subtle flavors and it is a Latakia blend that my wife will actually let me smoke inside. I could smoke this all day.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)

Frog Morton on the Town is a very nice, mild English blend. The Latakia is nicely tempered by the lighter Oriental tobaccos, and even though it's not listed on the label, stoved Virginia tobacco is present in the tin aroma and in the flavor. It provides the fruity, sweet note that some commented on.

No casing or topping is evident. If any is used it's very subtle, and serves to sweeten the aroma rather than affect the flavor. The Latakia plays well with the other components, never becoming overwhelming, thus making this an excellent introduction to English blends.

When well-packed, the burn is typically cool and fairly dry (just don't puff to hard/fast). The consistency of the cut is just right for all size bowls. I've come to prefer this tobacco in a large pipe, allowing for slower burning and the evolution of flavor that comes with a longer smoke.

FMOTT is, as others indicate, a good all-day smoke. It's satisfying without being overwhelming. The aroma is tolerable even to those who normally object to Latakia blends.

ngandhi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ngandhi (7)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this tobacco from a friend of mine who got it from the actually blender. She also did the artwork on the tin. It came highly recommended and I could not resist.

The tobacco is a fine one. It's lack of strength might encourage some smokers to take it in a little too quickly. Frog Morton on the Town must be smoked slowly. If you like this tobacco, you are one for subtleties.

There is a pronounced complexity to this mixture that is, at least, interesting. But as a fan of English blends -- especially Dunhill's Durbar Mixture -- I can't see Latakia lovers enjoying this product. Instead of adding something to the mixture, I find the Basma leave to greatly interfere with the smoke. It burns decently, but the rich Latakia in this mixture should be enjoyed more fully. It carries a robust sweetness. The addition of these oriental leaves makes the mixture border on aromatic.

That said, this is fine mixture. It is especially great for a morning smoke. For those who like subtle sweetness, OTT is a fine achievement. The taste is not overpowering and, for what it is, the mixture is well done.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I have been avoiding this blend since its appearance on the market, as Frog Morton is OK. I like it once in a while and is extemely smooth and bite free. But it does not knock my socks off.I suppose like sequels in the movie industry, I find that sequels are never as good as the original. Well, I guess I thought the same for this blend. Was I wrong...........This stuff is great and is much more interesting a smoke than the original Frog Morton. On the Town has a sweetness and spiciness to it that makes it downright terrific. I prefer the sequel. Now wasn't there a movie where the sequel was better than the original. Yes........I remember now, but that is not the norm. 4 stars.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This subdued and sweetened version of Frog Morton is tolerable, and in fact, downright likeable!

You must sample a tin of this at least once. It has a sweetness brought on by the cavendish and Basma. It also contains enough latakia to be earthy in flavor and delivers a nice rich, blue smoke. Because of the casing in the blend, though subtle, there is enough to prevent this blend from staying lit easily. If you don't mind the use of a few extra matches, believe me, the effort is worth it.

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

See my comments on the original "Frog", in addition:

I equally enjoy this blend, although I prefer the original by a slight margin. If you haven't smoked either Frog blend, I suggest you try the original first, then OTT.

OTT is "spicier" than the original, but not too much so, it's still quite mild and never bites.

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an incredible tabacco. The smell in the room was that of a summer camp fire. There was a hint of something sweet but I can't put my finger on it. This is a smoke that requires some time and thought to analize.

The smoke itself was perfectly humidified out of the tin. The tin aroma was very woodsy. Almost to the point of being unpleasant. It lit easily and for a novice smoker to say there was no tounge bite is saying something.

I have never tasted something this misterious to the pallet. I am looking formard to many more pleasant and relaxing smokes with this blend.

youdaman10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
youdaman10 (12)
Medium Mild Full Unnoticeable

One word, Wow! I have never tasted a tobacco with such a full flavor while maintaining a gentle level on the strength (neither in cigars or pipes). This blend is something special. I found the blend to smoke shockingly cool. Something I've never experienced before. No tongue bite through my Peterson Bulldog. The smoke stayed rich and creamy right to the end. As a previous reviewer stated, I was also unable to put a finger on the casing. Just enough of something sweet to both flavor the smoke and assist with room note. I don't rate room note as I smoke outside. This is a blend I won't do without. At a minimum, it will be a steady in my rotation. May be my number one pick.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

Tin Aroma: smoky and woodsy, as an English should be, but with a hint of something sweet in the background. This is constantly in my rotation. A nice well-behaved English blend, with rich Cyprian Latakia and enough Basma to give it a bit of spice. The tin aroma is cohesive, and is pretty close to the actual taste of the tobacco. I have several pipes dedicated to English Blends, but this is the only blend that I have a pipe dedicated solely to. The various components in this blend combine in a way that many blends aspire to, but few achieve. The symphony ranges over the territory a bit, from dark and rich to light and refreshing, but always in harmony, never does one ingredient overpower the others. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone wanting to try English blends, but unsure of where to start.