Gettysburg pipe tobacco is a delightful mixture of Burleys and Virginias with a smooth, subtle peach undertone. With an almost oily sheen to each ribbon this tobacco could command a price 3 times what P&C offers it at.

BrandBrigadier Black
FlavoringPeach
Packaging8 oz. Tin
Strength
Taste

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (97)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

On a seemingly never ending search for a fruity aromatic tobacco that doesn't bite like a pit bull I ran across Brigadier Black Gettysburg. I found what I was looking for, upon opening the tin, I was met with a pleasant, but not overbearing peach scent. Once lit, it required minimal relights, and filled the room with a mild peach scent. The flavoring did not completely over take the tobacco as seems to happen with this blends and I notice very little bite.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

If you like aromatics, you will probably like this tobacco. If not, why are you reading this review? The peach flavor clearly comes through, although it fades a bit by the end of the bowl. Hard to light and keep lit when first opened, but a few hours of drying and that problem disappears. Little, if any tongue bite.

Great tin note, good room note. A solid aromatic.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 413 and Gandalf, Jirsa Poker

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

SShifflett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SShifflett (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Tin note is a heavy, candied peach scent akin to peach schnapps. Not unpleasantly sweet, but not quite what a fresh peach would or should smell like. A dry pull of the pipe after packing gave a really pleasant candy peach flavor.

I'm a Frank Method advocate, and after packing this tobacco it took 5-6 charring lights before it started to burn on its own. This is not surprising as I didn't allow the tobacco to dry out of the tin, and it's somewhat moist on opening. Once burning, though.. wow. A slow, even cadence with this tobacco gave me loads of walnut, peach, honey-sweet smoke. I didn't push this tobacco, but even on the few relights I didn't detect any tingle of a promised tongue bite.

Room note is of a baking spiced peach cobbler. Delicious stuff.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

lsfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lsfire (5)

I don't have a sommeliers palate or nose. I don't know all of the tastes of different tobaccos. I try what sounds good, what others suggest, and I like what I like. Having said that...

Upon opening the tin, peach was the first thing that I could smell, then the tobacco odor came. Even the wife like it and she doesn't like many. I didn't find it smelled sweet like candy but had of a more dried peach odor and dried apricot.

The tobacco needs to dry until it gets to a moisture level you like as with other aromatics. I let mine dry for a few hours, but we've been overcast so the humidity has been high.

When I smoked the first bowl, and it has been consistent with every bowl, I could taste the peach\apricot first. This flavor lingered then a strong complex finish of nuts that stayed with me until the next draw.

I had a little tongue bite but not enough to overly concern me and it was easily controlled. I tend to smoke hot, drawing more like a cigar. The bowl lasted about an hour.

I relight all my bowls many times when I smoke for various reason so mentioning how many with this bowl would be meaningless.

Over all i found the flavor to have layers not just a simple aromatic that tastes like the casing. I didn't find the peach flavor over powering. Just an easy smoke.

For a point of reference on my take on strength, etc. I consider STG Escudo Navy De Luxe to be strong in every category.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Zappa2112 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zappa2112 (8)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Brigadier Black never fails to deliver a great smoke. Gettysburg is a peach aromatic Cavendish made of Burley and Virginia tobaccos. Not only does it smell great - both the tin note and the room note - but it tastes great too. Sweet, smooth and very flavorful but not cloying. It, like all tobacco, can bite. Smoking slow and cool will keep any chance of bite to a minimum and maximize the overall enjoyment of this tobacco. Great for a change of pace but can easily be an all day smoke as well. I definitely recommend giving it a try. And be sure to try it in a cob at least once. Personally, I think it smokes best in a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob.

Pipe Used: Various corn cob pipes

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (130)

The peach flavor is there. The general burley tobacco is good and smooth. There is no Un burnt tobacco at the end of the bowl Tongue bite is non existent.