A blend of the finest Matured Golden Virginia tobaccos, enhanced by a subtle aromatic fragrance.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
2.5
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! Here I am again being the first one to review an obscure Lane tobacco. Or is it? I bet more than a few of us have smoked this under a diffrent name from out local tobaccanist. At the Beans and Briar where I buy alot of my cheap, bulk, everydays, this one is known as Briar Red. I got it on a whim and have to say that it is very enjoyable indeed. It is in the same category as other Danish Cav's such as Amphora Red and Scandinivak. The smoke has a nice spice while remaining light and never tires easily. I can smoke this all day and still want more. I think some of us get a little snobbish when it comes to tobacco, and that's a mistake when it comes to Lane bulk blends. Some are absolutely putrid in my book, such as Crown Achievment and IQ. Others like this one, BCA, and LL-7, are great smokes. Not real complex, they nonetheless are perfect for all day consumption. Try it out, you may find you've made a good cheap companion!

jpbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpbass (22)

My local tobacconist, Fader's sells this as 14K . I just bought some for the first time this weekend (I smoked Captain Black Gold many years ago), and I must say i'm impressed. An aromatic that doesn't smoke like a typical aromatic, you can actually taste real Virginia, nice and sweet without the soapiness you often get from straight VA. The light flavoring does not overpower the tobacco flavor.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

MV-1000 … For one reason or another, this is a Lane tobacco that I never tried, until now. A fine ribbon cut VA. blend with a tin aroma that reminds me of marshmallows.

First off this blend surprised me; I found it more substantial in flavor than I would have guessed, and not as sweet tasting as the tin (baggie) aroma would suggest, which I'm thankful for. I found this stuff to be bite free, cool burning, dry and IMO worthwhile. I suppose you could call this an aromatic blend, but it sure is an easy one to smoke, with none of my usual objections regarding ARO's. Bottom line, mildish and very pleasant, but a bit low on it's vitamin N level.

PS... An approximate mix of 50/50, PA and MV-1000 turned out to be a nice alternative smoke.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I bought a 5lb bag of this in 2005 and packed it into glass Ball jars. I recently popped a jar of this and I must say it is my favorite aromatic blend by far. As previously noted, it is mild in the nicotene department, but that's no surprise for an aromatic, I suppose. I find it really performs best in a deep bowl, especially one with a good cake. To me, it has a wonderful cocoa flavor and aroma, but I can still taste the underlying tobacco. This is what an aromatic should be IMO. The flavor profiles don't really evolve throughout the smoke, as one would look for in an uncased Virginia, but remain cool and dry with a mild cocoa flavor, without ever becoming cloying or hot. This is a crowd pleaser if one is in a tolerant crowd who won't scream and faint at the sight of a chap enjoying a pipe. This will remain in my occasional rotation for quite some time,(5lbs!). If one enjoys aromatics, I think this is head and shoulders above the rest. I'm sure this is available at B&M's under a variety of names, so one might try this for less than a 5lb investment. I like it.

dan1davis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dan1davis (2)

This is a nice, inoffensive blend that could be manna for many a new pipe smoker. It is mild in every way and sweet without being stupid. The aroma from the pouch is what attracted me to this blend. It is identical, as far as my nose can tell, to Edward?s Honey Cavendish, which was the first pipe tobacco I ever tasted. Low nicotine content and cased Virginias are a prescription for a dismal case of bite, but properly handled this blend acquits itself nicely. I can taste tobacco. With some aromatics that would be an accidental accomplishment. I recommend this blend to the novice smoker as well as any smoker who is particularly sensitive to nicotine.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Make no mistake, this is an aromatic through and through. It is not in what I would categorize as a topped or flavored VA blend like Royal Yacht. And while the tin description says "finest Virginia tobaccos" I wouldn't want someone to expect the nuances or character you'd find in your favorite VA from McClelland, Rattray's, etc.

With that out of the way, this is a unique and exceptional aromatic. The tobacco base flavor, which provides some of the tang and earthiness associated with VAs is there throughout the bowl, and the flavoring is very sweet, but clean. I think its some combination of maybe vanilla and something else I can't place - honey or butterscotch maybe. I found this aromatic unique because of the mouth feel and body which reminds me much more of a natural blend than any other aromatic I've tried, but the flavoring which is right out in front distinguishes it clearly as an aromatic.

The tobacco is predominately golden brown in color and cut in a thinish ribbon that packs nicely and burns reliably. I don't find any goop in the bottom of my meer after smoking this blend, and it arrived soft with an appropriate moisture content - not wet or sticky whatsoever. I judge aromatics by how well the flavor works with the tobacco, how well the flavor holds up through the smoke without bitterness, and how it burns. All checkpoints met with MV-1000 in my opinion.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I bought an ounce of this from a B&M because I like to have an aromatic around, if I am going to be smoking around non smokers. It smell like toasted marshmallows. No problem with that. It's just that any speed I tried to smoke this, to barely sipping, it burned really hot. I tried different pipes. Nothing worked. Maybe a straight Virginia with this much topping is hard to handle.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 58

Rated Percentage = 97%

Comment = Very Mild, Very Smooth, Mellow, good Flavor, No Bite, nice all day smoke

WooseyWid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WooseyWid (5)

Vanilla tasting/smelling aromatic. Gets a little goopy and bitey. With age the vanilla casing disappears and the low quality virginias are left for and unenjoyable smoke.

The ribbon cut make for easy packing and lighting.

There are better aromatics out there but MV-1000 gets points for availability (Lane Limited tobaccos are typically found jared up and renamed in tobacco shops), room note, and beginner friendliness.

Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As mentioned before, this is essentially Captain Black Gold without the gallons of humectants. Is one able to actually taste humectants? I'm not sure. I found this tasted the same as CBG but, unlike that mass-marketed version, this WILL dry out if left out of the pouch to do so. I never could get CBG to dry.

This has a mildly sweet vanilla flavor that is very inoffensive to the smoker and extremely pleasant to those around him, provided they're not Carrie Nation, Jr or one of those knuckleheads that spout off about 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. Smokes cool all the way down the bowl until the final 1/4th or so, where the casing burns off, leaving the less-than-stellar tobacco quality bare. Then the harshness takes over. There's no black cavendish for spice as there is in RLP-6 (Captain Black White) or 1-Q (Captain Black Royal), so it's fairly one dimensional... but if you like that dimension, who needs the black cav, anyway???

I won't be revisiting this but I do recommend it to others who are either beginners that have never smoked anything before, or those who simply want a mild blend with a nice aroma. I think it's good for what it is.

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)

This is yet another gourmet version of Capt. Black. In this case it is Capt. Black Gold. Unlike 1Q, it is not nauseatingly sweet but not as masculine (you'll have to figure out what that means) as RLP6, the other 2 gourmet versions of CB, Royal and White respectively. You get a mild taste of tobacco and a room note similar to RLP6. This is a light colored, finely, short cut, Virginia Cavendish. The blend burns fast and easily. If you experience a little bite it is not the blend, but the rapid burn. Just take it slow. A dash of Burley would help this blend and 1Q as well. RLP6 is full of Burley. For those who don't usually smoke aromatics I would strongly suggest this one as a test, or an alternative to the non-aromatics you smoke now. If you like this blend and would like to try it with the volume turned up, try RLP6.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Not being much of a fan of aromatic blends, I have to say that this stuff ain't too bad. Like most of us, I tried the traditional drug store blends, and didn't care too much for them.

This is a mild aromatic, not too hard to keep lit, and after going through a few pounds of this stuff, I'd have to say that it's pretty consistant in flavor and quality. Not too goopy, if you clean your pipe out every few bowls. I'm not fanatical in the pipe cleaning department, but it only takes a few pipe cleaners to keep things tidy. $2.00 an ounce from my local tobacconist ain't a bad price for this stuff either. Now if I can find a decent English Blend in this price range, I wouldn't have anything to complain about for now...

8/5/12 I wanted to revisit my original review of this blend. I got bored with this blend after smoking a few lbs of it, and switched to RLP-6, and I have to say that I prefer the RLP-6 over this blend. I had about 4 oz. of this stuff I'd forgotten about for about a year. 1 year later it was still quite moist - took 2 lights to get going - and really singed my tongue throughout the entire bowl. Flavor was really dull too. It's cheap, burns clean, but not my cup of tea anymore...

Sumosized Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sumosized (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been my daily smoke since I dropped rubbing snuff in favor of the pipe full time. I'm fairly new to reviewing and have little experience at this point with many different tobaccos; however, I would like to offer my novice opinion--might help someone else.

This blend is fairly mild, burns cool with proper puffing, and has a slight touch of sweetness. I find it to be somewhat mild in the nicotine arena, which leads me to frantic puffing at times to get a good dose. Even with this frantic puffing, I have had a sore tongue, but not a harshly bitten one. I would recommend this tobacco for a new smoker and one that smokes Virginia on a regular basis.

Enjoy! SUMO

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like and enjoy many bulk blends but this is not going to be one of them, I found this tobacco heavily cased with a bitter flavor. This biterness is covering up whatever the base tobacco would have tasted like.

I agree with other reviewers that this is similar to Skandinavik in many respects, but as I also do not enjoy that blend I will have to pass on MV-1000.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a welcome surprise. I didn't detect any flavoring, but it does smell pretty good. I am going to try this with some Burley tobaccos for a homemade half and half. This is a very finely shredded tobacco, so it tends to burn relatively fast.

10/23/04: Too fine for most pipes. Makes a good blender with any quality Burley for a nicer "Half & Half" without the flavorings. Would also be an o.k. R.Y.O. cigarette tobac. By itself would probably smoke too hot in a pipe.

02/13/04: Bought a new batch. This sample had a more obvious flavoring than the original review. Very tasty. A very "Danish"flavoring. Perhaps honey? I smoked it after some Rum & Maple and I enjoyed this more than the R&M.